• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Nine: Crossroads

Status
Not open for further replies.
He nodded at Sparkle and Powerpaw. "Verbal 'spankings' may be more to the point, and hopefully she'll accept them for the learning experiences they ought to be.

Verbal spankings? Sparkle turned to Powerpaw. And do you believe spankings come in 'verbal'?

Powerpaw winked at her. "Hay, Gran'ma. If you wuz any older... Luna'd be usin' you as a purse!"

Sparkle thought a moment then nodded in gratitude. Consider me enlightened.

Otiorin Taletreader
HP: 56

Spells per day(1st:2nd)/remaining(1st:2nd): 4:3

Spells available: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Open/Close, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Gravity Bow, Shield, Summon Monster 1, Mage Armor, Ice Slick

Active effects:

Otiorin stood silently, listening to all that was said. He wondered if a conversation such as this would have been had about him. He listened to the back and forth between the others and considered within his own mind.
"She does act quite haughty and she carries her good manners in high regard. But, we can't discount her heritage. She's Fae-blooded, of a nymph's lineage. You've had experience of my draconic heritage and you know how that can make me act. I can be possessive, fiery-tempered and, well, petty at times. I'm not sure what experience everyone has had with nymphs, but legend and folklore tell of them being capricious, mischevious and lascivious. I see in her many of these traits. She wishes to gain favor by means of her looks and it's possible she'd go as far as upset the apple cart, figuratively, to get what she wants." he glanced at Bria, nervously, "She uses flirtation and her body language to try and influence people. Every flutter of her eyelashes, every turn of her head, even the way she looks at other people is innately designed to be appealing. Whether that's her natural way of being or whether she's just wanting to make a good first impression and doesn't quite know how to best do so amongst so varied a host as we, I don't know. But, while her demeanor is playful, I'd strongly advise the gentlemen among us to be careful when in solitary confines with her. She might use that moment to her own advantage, either in mischief or malice. Now perhaps I'm being a little to judgmental, but this is the impression I've picked up from her. And I've.... uhhm, known enough women who use their sex appeal to get their own way and she carries all the hallmarks of that ilk."
He leaned against one of the barrels and took a long breath.
"That said, I agree to a probationary period. Let's see whether she'll mellow once she understands the dynamic of the group."

.:|Nivirea - The Sorceress|:.

She sat with her head supported on her hands against the table, her eyelids blinking slowly as she followed Shalin's scribings. The golden lines had clearly fascinated her from before, but now they might have been putting her to sleep - for indeed, she looked too drowsy to be attentive. Until Glider spoke to her, that is, and his charming enthusiasm caused her to perk up right away. The girl paid him one of her rare blank, unfocused stares, and looking away from the light her eyes appeared a much deeper green than usual. A moment later she was smiling back.

"Thank you." she told him with an appreciative nod. "And I do care about the forest and all its creatures, yet I am no servant of the gods - Mielikki or otherwise. I hope that does not offend you. You are a good friend of Bria's, I take it? And a part of her wayward company?"

A moment later she was smiling back.

"Thank you." she told him with an appreciative nod. "And I do care about the forest and all its creatures, yet I am no servant of the gods - Mielikki or otherwise. I hope that does not offend you. You are a good friend of Bria's, I take it? And a part of her wayward company?"

Glider grinned in an unconsciously-handsome manner as he placed his hand upon his bare muscular chest. "Oh, not at all. Who am I to judge what road you follow? As for Bria, yes, I count her among my friends as all living creatures should really, for that little ball of sunshine holds hate toward no one." He ran one hand through his black and silver hair.

"As for being a Wayward Wanderer, oh my, no." He chuckled. "I'm just a guest here as you and Shalin are, although I wish you luck in joining their merry band. See, I think a nymph-blooded lady like yourself will shake things up a bit, for I've never known a satyr or nymph that did not long for passion and excitement in life. And if you're running with little Brendoran in search of adventure, I think that's just what you'll get! He seems to attract danger as well as he attracts... well... fey-blooded people!" Glider said this last with a wink and just loud enough to get Shalin's attention.

Shalin noticed. The gray elf smiled wistfully and nodded in reply to Glider, for the Silent Sorcerer knew better than anyone in the wagon what it was to be a long-time fey-blooded member of a fellowship with Bren in charge.

Glider asked Nivirea. "What do you think of Bren's desire to become a paladin of Mielikkii? Though I doubt he'll try to convert you, you'll all have a devout and knightly Bren to call leader, I'm willing to bet."

*​

Nivirea may be of Summerset also, but she doesn't seem to want to reveal her family at this time."

Bria raised her hand again with a pleased expression. "Oh, I don't have any desire to learn any secrets she is not willing to tell. Plus, I think it's neat having Outsider noble-people in our group! I mean, look at Luna!" She did this appreciatively. "She's a fire-wizard, her brother's a ghost, her father's a master illusionist, and Luna has earned the respect of a pseudo-dragon enough to have Sparkle as familiar! Can you imagine the discussions they had during dinner? Bren's neat too and I only know one side of his family!"

She wishes to gain favor by means of her looks and it's possible she'd go as far as upset the apple cart, figuratively, to get what she wants." he glanced at Bria, nervously, "She uses flirtation and her body language to try and influence people..."
(Ellipsis mine)

Bria responded to Otiorin's nervousness with a calmest, most-confident look a young woman ever gave her man. It seemed to say, "I'm not worried. I want you as long as you want me."

Powerpaw, on the other paw, had entirely different thoughts. "Waaaaaaaitaminute... Doez dis mean she's gonna be bringin' guys home late at night? Because I want nuttin' ta do wif dat kinda stuffs."

Melshaef clicked her claws. "Now, son, do remember Nivirea is a noble and lady of the human kingdom of Summerset."

Powerpaw looked doubtful. "An' since when haz bein' a noble stopped a girl from gettin' whatever she wantses? Best dis Kitty-face kin tell, bein' a noble only helps 'em get it!"

Melshaef paused in mid-gasp as the surprise of her son's point seemed to overshadow her own. "Why, I find I have no decent reply to that."

Powerpaw gave one big nod in victory.

And I've.... uhhm, known enough women who use their sex appeal to get their own way and she carries all the hallmarks of that ilk."

"So..." Powerpaw looked at both Otiorin and Bren, "...iz you sayin' we'll be okies as long as Nivirea doezn't seduce you or Bren? Well, Oti' ain't stupid enuff ta leave sumbuddy like our Bria fer her... an' Bren? Well, he just ain't stupid."

Then began a line of thought that only a Ko monk could have entered into the conversation with. "Well, what if Nivirea turns out to be what Bren secretly desires? If so, who are we to get in their way? After all, Bren has always seemed to have close ties with the fae-blooded, he was once married to a half-elf, and well, now that he's single, maybe Bren likes the idea of being with another noble?" Bria looked around to all of you in that innocent, harmless way of hers. Then she gazed at Bren and asked him, "Bren? Is your heart lit by women like Nivirea?"

Powerpaw excitedly continued her unique line of thought with one of his own. "...Or doez we smack 'er in da face if she tries gettin' all nymphy wif you?! Huh? Huh?"

"Powerpaw!" Melshaef exclaimed.

"Whats?!" Now it was Powerpaw's turn to look around innocently. "Uhhhh, izn't dat what we do ta people who try ta get one up on us? C'mon, guyz! Back me up!"

"I would have no qualms with Brendoran pursuing such a path," Nivirea replied matter-of-factly. "Even if it meant calling a paladin my leader. In point of fact," she added, her eyes narrowing a little at Glider, "I would be ready to assist him in his quest if I were part of the group. By all means."

Nivirea's implication was subtle, meant for Glider who could not have missed it, but less detectable to anyone else who was not paying close attention to her eyes and tone of voice. She clearly took Glider's last sentence as a challenge questioning her willingness or ability to follow, whether it was so or not.

Glider's eyebrows raised a moment, for he was not expecting for her to take his words as challenge. Then, after a brief moment, he searched himself and from within, he found his answer for her. For if she wished to play the social games Outsiders were so well-known for, well, the master Ko felt he could give it a try too. How exciting!

He leaned back and clasped his fingers behind his head, relaxed, wearing his ever-present grin. He spoke his words distinctly as if to tell her that he was open to this game, whatever it was.

"Oh, but of course, you would! But tell me now, fair lady - would you assist him if you were not part of his group? If you had naught to gain and all to lose?"

Outsiders, even at Glider's age, never ceased to make him wonder. Why had Nivirea changed the flow of their conversation thusly? What did she hope to gain by doing so? And where would this lead? How very good it was to wonder about all this, for was not the power of wonder often the bridge to higher purpose? It had been too long since his feet had walked such a road.

Last edited:

Glider's laid back attitude only served to get Nivirea bunker down tighter. She frowned openly now, and stared at him for a good few moments. "Had all the ogres and giants and whatnots not been dispatched already, I'd have jumped out and fought alongside Brendoran's party. Better believe it. Not that you'd have been there to see it. And that was before I knew they had a traveling wagon with a swimming pool." The girl's face softened up greatly at the mention of the pool and her eyes wandered off towards the hallway door ever so briefly. She took a deep breath and regarded Glider sideways while checking her nails. "Besides, there is almost always something to gain, and even when there isn't, there is definitely always something to lose."

There was a thoughtful yet clever, almost complacent, smile on her lips as she said that, but it only lasted until her nails failed the inspection. Nothing but a frustrated sigh crossed her lips after that.

Bren Sarabina
Standard AC: 27
Fort save: +12
Ref save: +8
Will save: +4
Current action points: 9
Current HP: 87/87
Status effects: none
Powerpaw's tower shield +1 (-2 to attack rolls)
Spell: Speak with Animals
Speech color, for reference
Also #3399ff

Otiorin stood silently, listening to all that was said. He wondered if a conversation such as this would have been had about him. He listened to the back and forth between the others and considered within his own mind.
"She does act quite haughty and she carries her good manners in high regard. But, we can't discount her heritage. She's Fae-blooded, of a nymph's lineage. You've had experience of my draconic heritage and you know how that can make me act. I can be possessive, fiery-tempered and, well, petty at times. I'm not sure what experience everyone has had with nymphs, but legend and folklore tell of them being capricious, mischevious and lascivious. I see in her many of these traits. She wishes to gain favor by means of her looks and it's possible she'd go as far as upset the apple cart, figuratively, to get what she wants." he glanced at Bria, nervously, "She uses flirtation and her body language to try and influence people. Every flutter of her eyelashes, every turn of her head, even the way she looks at other people is innately designed to be appealing. Whether that's her natural way of being or whether she's just wanting to make a good first impression and doesn't quite know how to best do so amongst so varied a host as we, I don't know. But, while her demeanor is playful, I'd strongly advise the gentlemen among us to be careful when in solitary confines with her. She might use that moment to her own advantage, either in mischief or malice. Now perhaps I'm being a little to judgmental, but this is the impression I've picked up from her. And I've.... uhhm, known enough women who use their sex appeal to get their own way and she carries all the hallmarks of that ilk."
He leaned against one of the barrels and took a long breath.
"That said, I agree to a probationary period. Let's see whether she'll mellow once she understands the dynamic of the group."
Bren nodded. "Good points, all. And the flirting may settle once she's part of a group instead of outside trying to make a good impression."

Powerpaw, on the other paw, had entirely different thoughts. "Waaaaaaaitaminute... Doez dis mean she's gonna be bringin' guys home late at night? Because I want nuttin' ta do wif dat kinda stuffs."

Melshaef clicked her claws. "Now, son, do remember Nivirea is a noble and lady of the human kingdom of Summerset."

Powerpaw looked doubtful. "An' since when haz bein' a noble stopped a girl from gettin' whatever she wantses? Best dis Kitty-face kin tell, bein' a noble only helps 'em get it!"

Melshaef paused in mid-gasp as the surprise of her son's point seemed to overshadow her own. "Why, I find I have no decent reply to that."

Powerpaw gave one big nod in victory.
Bren laughed. "Well, if it helps, it seems the soundproofing between rooms in here is excellent. And if she knows she's behaving in a way that's making one of us uncomfortable and continues all the same, that's something we'll want to know about her. At the moment I couldn't say if she's one to, uh, 'bring guys home at night,' or if she's just a flirt trying make an impression. The latter is more common among the nobles I know, but there's plenty of the other sort who carry on discreetly. Would either of you, or anyone else, object to it if she was discreet?"

Then began a line of thought that only a Ko monk could have entered into the conversation with. "Well, what if Nivirea turns out to be what Bren secretly desires? If so, who are we to get in their way? After all, Bren has always seemed to have close ties with the fae-blooded, he was once married to a half-elf, and well, now that he's single, maybe Bren likes the idea of being with another noble?" Bria looked around to all of you in that innocent, harmless way of hers. Then she gazed at Bren and asked him, "Bren? Is your heart lit by women like Nivirea
Bria's innocent question had an effect she likely wasn't intending. Bren blushed as his romantic inclinations were suddenly the focus of at least this part of the conversation. "Well, uh, I hadn't really thought about it. I think it's rather too early to say? We just met her after all." That sounded lame even to him, considering how quickly Bria and Otiorin's relationship had developed. "Er, let's just keep that option open too." His blush darkened as he realized that made it sound like he was interested. "I mean, or we could just not worry about it for now. Keep our focus on how she settles with us as a fellow party member."

Powerpaw excitedly continued her unique line of thought with one of his own. "...Or doez we smack 'er in da face if she tries gettin' all nymphy wif you?! Huh? Huh?"

"Powerpaw!" Melshaef exclaimed.

"Whats?!" Now it was Powerpaw's turn to look around innocently. "Uhhhh, izn't dat what we do ta people who try ta get one up on us? C'mon, guyz! Back me up!"
That added amusement to Bren's embarrassment. "No, no, let's let each of us settle our personal relationship, um, issues on our own, unless asked. If you think she's casting spells on any of us to affect how we think about her, that's one thing, but if it's purely verbal or, um, situational, and the person doesn't look like they need or want help getting out of it, I don't think there needs to be any face-bashing."

"Besides, there is almost always something to gain, and even when there isn't, there is definitely always something to lose."

There was a thoughtful yet clever, almost complacent, smile on her lips as she said that, but it only lasted until her nails failed the inspection. Nothing but a frustrated sigh crossed her lips after that.

(Dungeon Master note to Wolf.)
Hey you! While his name at creation was Tuan, I am going to go ahead and rename him Koan. I like the sound of the word (Zen monks use that word to mean "riddle" in their philosophy), it's easy to remember, and most of all, it fits him. =)

Nivirea then noticed a commonality between Bria and Glider, if she had not noticed before. Both Ko had listened to her every word as closely as a scholar engaged in a new book. Even now, Glider watched Nivirea as if he were watching a stage play in the shady comforts of Summerset. The eyes of many a man had lingered long on Nivirea ever since she reached young womanhood, but now and perhaps for the first time, a man (and a fit and handsome man) watched only her with no discernible interest in her figure, her hair, her face, her eyes, or any part of her - save for her mind. It was as if Glider possessed no sexual interest toward her whatsoever and indeed, even if he had, the woman inside of the sorceress told Nivirea that it would not affect him anyhow - this man was a master of his own feelings.

The same had been partly true of Koan when Nivirea had been in his acquaintance. Except that, unlike men of Summerset who set upon Nivirea with sidelong glances and fluttering looks, Koan's interest in her was just as open. He seemed to admire her like a goldsmith admiring a fine statue, respectfully and with admiration. Most men seemed to want to possess Nivirea, if only for their own personal desires; Koan only seemed to want to examine her for the sake of curiosity. And certainly, he was very different than any man found in Summerset. Yet here before Nivirea sat a Master of the Ko. There was a calm, clear balance of soul and spirit behind that handsome, compassionate grin that most people died before ever knowing.

"Ah," Glider murmured, his thoughts swirling. As swiftly as the Summerset-born sorceress had started the game, she had, in her way, attempted to end it. Perhaps she believed there were rules to these things? Maybe there were, but being a Ko, Glider was as-yet oblivious to whatever she had been chasing when she came down this road. Still, this made him realize something he had not known a moment before. He decided to share his wonder with her. As always, his words were non-judgmental and loving.

"An ogre's blow can fell a horse; a kick from a giant's boot can smash a house flat. If you're so willing to face them as well as raise your will to me, then in your youthfulness, there can be but one conclusion - you long for challenge." The grinning master rose from his chair and nodded, signaling an end to his part in the game. "I'll give you this, magic lady - stay in the son of Killaine's company long enough and you'll find yourself in up to your neck before long." He grinned as he walked away. "And in that place alone will you come face to face with the highest of challenges - getting to know who you really are... Thanks for the chat!"

Glider then joined Shalin and Whittle and the Silent Sorcerer and hobbit welcomed him. Whittle continued to chatter on about Mielikki, Yondalla (the Halfling Goddess of Plenty), and the things she and her beloved Bonny had seen since they were captured by Bilal the Rich and thrown into the pen with "the Beast." As with Nivirea, Glider listened to Whittle with rapt attention, leaving the Summerset lady alone with her thoughts.

*​

At the moment I couldn't say if she's one to, uh, 'bring guys home at night,' or if she's just a flirt trying make an impression. The latter is more common among the nobles I know, but there's plenty of the other sort who carry on discreetly. Would either of you, or anyone else, object to it if she was discreet?"

Bria put her finger to her lips and pondered this while Powerpaw and Melshaef mewed and moved in the manner of thinking cats with their swishing tails and alert eyes. One by one, they shook their heads in non-objection to Bren's question.

Bria's innocent question had an effect she likely wasn't intending. Bren blushed as his romantic inclinations were suddenly the focus of at least this part of the conversation. "Well, uh, I hadn't really thought about it. I think it's rather too early to say? We just met her after all."

It was then that Bria realized what effect her question had on Bren. She hopped once in surprise and embarrassment as she watched Bren's features and tone change in answer. The questions she raised were common enough among her own people, but too often she forgot that her dear fellow adventurers were not Ko at all. She mouthed the words, "Oops! I'm sorry!" to Bren and gritted her teeth in the cutest of fashions in fear that she had somehow wounded him. Sense told her that she had not, yet still her heart could not help but express her worry for she had admired Bren greatly and not for a short time.

That added amusement to Bren's embarrassment. "No, no, let's let each of us settle our personal relationship, um, issues on our own, unless asked. If you think she's casting spells on any of us to affect how we think about her, that's one thing, but if it's purely verbal or, um, situational, and the person doesn't look like they need or want help getting out of it, I don't think there needs to be any face-bashing."

Melshaef and Bria nodded in understanding but Powerpaw shook his furry mane. This amount of thinking in one moment was too much for his simple fighting brain. His gaze moved from Bren to Bria.

Bria noticed. "Don't smack Nivirea unless she's a clear threat. Bren and the rest of us are willing to give her the chance to join us in a probationary period."

Powerpaw nodded appreciatively. "Oh! I kin do dats. Tanks!"

"Are you willing to give her the chance?"

"Uhhh..." Powerpaw struggled. His own instincts told him Nivirea was more cat-like in personality (as in liable to do as she damn well pleased) than most humans. This, as all Felane knew, was a double-edged trait. This did not bother Powerpaw as long as he were allowed to continue to treat Nivirea like a fellow Felane as he had the other Wayward Wanderers, Leonard Wolf included.

Furthermore, at first Bria had expressed doubt in Nivirea but was now able to overcome it. Powerpaw had trusted Bria since the moment they met. He knew in the core of his fearless soul that Bria would do nothing to ever harm him. Soon after, he had realized that feeling encompassed all living beings (and some non-living as was clearly the case of Alec Callen, Luna's ghostly brother). If Bria was willing to open her heart to Nivirea, why not Powerpaw? For when had Bria been wrong in trying before?

Then again, the Cat Inside Powerpaw argued, perhaps Bria was going too far. The little human wanted to trust everyone. But, Powerpaw countered, she seemed to be wise enough to know who to trust and who not to. Bria was no fool. She believed, perhaps rightly, that love never failed.

"Okies," Powerpaw nodded to everyone and gave a thumbs-up with his claw extended. "I iz in. Let's give Nivirea-face a shot."

Bria happily clapped for she loved watching hope conquer fear no matter the scale. Then she added, "Me too!"

Melshaef watched Luna and Otiorin. They had already expressed their views. Melshaef nodded and took a deep breath. "Allow me to share my feelings in this way. I give Nivirea a chance not for the sake of it, but because she is young. I have not sensed blackest evil nor shining goodness in her but instead that which lies between. This sorceress is a gathering of seeds roaming in the wind. Our fellowship is like fresh soil, good and healthy. If she plants herself in with the likes of us, she might contribute to doing good for Sharseya. However, if she finds herself in the wrong crowd, then that soil too might corrupt, and turn her to wickedness. Either way, time is blossoming her day by day as it is with us. I wish for her flower to shine. In the light and nourishment of our company, it might do just that."

"Perhaps," Bria hoped, "but all we can do is show her the path. Hers are the feet that must walk it."

Powerpaw tried. "Uh, mebbe we kin be da cane dat helps her stay on da path? Or... sumtin? Uhh.... Moar?"

Bria's smile was warm and wide at the bewildered gladiator. For Powerpaw had understood.

With the decision made, the Wayward Wanderers returned to the fine lights and luxurious atmosphere of the dining room. Elf, humans, and hobbits took notice as the fellowship of adventurers made their way back to the wide table. They seemed to have come to a decision - Powerpaw, Mamapaw, and Bria looked to Bren to deliver it.

Bren Sarabina
Also #3399ff

Bren smiled at the young sorceress. "Miss Nivirea? On behalf of the rest of the party, I'd like to offer you a probationary period in our party. Probationary in that if, at any time, either you or we decide that it's not going to work out, we'll each let the other know, with no hard feelings, and go our separate ways. Adventuring parties are based on mutual partnerships, and sometimes personalities just don't mesh, without its being anyone's fault." He realized he'd turned a simple question into a speech. "Ah. Well, anyway. Would you join us then, at least for the time being?"

Luna offers up a pleasant smile as Bren delivers the verdict to her, hoping that Nivirea can sense the good will coming from her.

The young girl perked up the moment the others reappeared. She stood up straight to meet them, looking quite presentable and oddly unassuming, and heard out their decision with a steadily growing smile. By the end of Bren's question-turned-speech, she was beaming.

"Ar fheabhas!" 1 she exclaimed with delight. "A partnership it shall be! I accept your terms. I believe we will all benefit greatly from this cooperation." She paused for a few moments, returning a kind glance to Luna before asking Bren two questions in that brilliant, almost eagerly childlike manner: "The terms of our partnership do include unrestricted access to the swimming pool, I hope? Starting... now?"

1 Ar fheabhas
excellent, great, brilliant, amazing, tremendous

Instrumental Mood Music
"The Great Conjunction" from The Dark Crystal Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

And then... it happened... =)

While the Wayward Wanderers are enjoying themselves in the peace and privacy of the Adventurers' Wagon, a very, very odd thing took place. Without warning, a tremor is felt under the feet of everyone present. The weird rattling of dishware and glasses filled the room. The pictures on the wall danced and the chairs trembled and shivered along with the people in them. The table began stomping on its legs all on its own. Everything that could move in the dining room shook as if animated!

With fearful eyes, the Meadowsweets ran to each other and hugged ever so tightly.

Glider shouted. "What in every god's name is going on?!"

Stewart looked around as if wondering if the whole world had gone mad while Shalin ducked under the table, beckoning anyone who could see him to join him. Mamapaw dropped on all fours, claws extended, eyes wide. Powerpaw did so too but he moved to cover Bria who crazily tried to keep her footing as the world around all of you seemed to go bouncing mad!

Long uncertain moments passed as wine bottles toppled, plates slipped off of the table, empty chairs clattered in place. It was as if something had picked up the Adventurers' Wagon with two enormous hands and was shaking the entire place.

Then, in less than a minute's time, the table and chairs rattled less, the silverware stopped its crazed chiming, and the tablecloth stopped its waving. Little by little, a sense of normalcy began to return to the adventurers and their friends. Looking about the dining room, no one was standing upright any longer. People mostly flat on their bellies, hiding under the table, or under a friendly furry Felane. Wide wondering eyes lit around the place. Silence reigned like an invisible king.

Something had changed and changed greatly - and not one among you all had a clue to what it was...

Luna's eyes open wide as she drops to her bottom, not even trying to keep to her feet during the shaking. This is an extradimensional space! Is it even possible for an earthquake to affect it?

Cantrips - Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Mage Hand
Level 1 - Shield x2, Magic Missile x4, Unseen Servant
Level 2 - Extended Mage Armor, Protection From Arrows, Scorching Ray x4
Level 3 - Haste x2, Lightning Bolt, Fireball x2
Level 4 - Shout, Ball Lightning x3
I don't remember if I had already cast my Extended Mage Armor today, so I added it to my list to be cast when the quake stops.

"Eauq tse Munrefni...?" 1 the sorceress swore in Infernal, looking about herself as the tremors dissipated. She paused for a few moments to see if the calm would last, then marched for the door with determined footsteps. She appeared to be more displeased than frightened. "I am going to have a look outside." she informed the party without waiting for reactions.

She may not have had a clue as to what just happened, but she did have a clue on how to find out.

1 Eauq tse Munrefni
Infernal: What in/the Hell?

Once the quaking stops, Luna pulls herself to her feet. "Sparkle, are you ok, sweetheart?" She quickly checks on her familiar to make sure that she is not hurt. "Is everyone else fine? No one hurt?" Luna looks about to make sure that her companions are all fine, then follows Nivirea to the exit. "Lets go find out just what has happened out there."

Level 2 - Protection From Arrows, Scorching Ray x5

Bren Sarabina
Also #3399ff

Bren nodded in response to Nivirea's question about the swimming pool, and opening his mouth to reply more fully when suddenly the room and everything in it started to shake. He flung himself over the more vulnerable people present (hobbits, mages, whoever was near and in need) and shoved them to safety under the table, lest they get dishes or silverware (especially knives) falling on them. He remained on hands and knees, half under the table himself, for a moment after the quaking stopped, and glanced at the arcanists present. "Lady of the Forest! What could do such a thing inside this wagon?" Two of those he looked at suddenly ran outside before he managed to get the question out, and he shook his head. "I suppose we're looking outside for answers," he remarked, scooping up his weapons and shield as he followed Nivirea and Luna. He couldn't let them go alone, of course, especially not knowing what they were going out into.

Instrumental mood music.
"Getting Bombed" by Elmer Bernstein for the Heavy Metal Motion Picture Score.

"Sparkle, are you ok, sweetheart?" She quickly checks on her familiar to make sure that she is not hurt. "Is everyone else fine? No one hurt?"

Luna searched about the dining room for Sparkle.

Worry not, dear Pyri, the dragoness sent so that all might hear.

Luna's senses told the wizardess to look up. Lo and behold, there was Sparkle, flapping her wings gently enough to hover in position. For all of the havoc the shaking had caused, the winged old dragoness was the least inconvenienced of all. Flight had been her savior.

It will take more than this room coming apart to shake up a wyrm of my many years. With that, Sparkle lightly descended through the air until she landed in a graceful fashion upon Luna's left shoulder. There perched, she lowered her serpentine body down and continued to examine the state of the dining room. Now what in Bahamut's backside caused this terrifically unnatural ruckus?

Bria looked about the dining room for signs of casualties as did Mamapaw, but unlike her woodsy Felane teammate, Bria did not seem to have to ask - one good look and she seemed to know all that she needed. Meanwhile, Mamapaw glanced about with a mother's fretfulness while Powerpaw growled and stirred with frowning whiskers and raised fur. The ferocious warrior was confused and not in a way he found to his liking.

Bria, however, was in no way worried. She hopped up almost gaily and followed Nivirea and Luna. "Our steeds!" she started. "Star and the others! Oh, we have to make sure they are all right!"

Stewart untangled himself from around one of the dining table legs he had grabbed hold of while Mr. and Mrs. Meadowsweet slowly untangled themselves from each other. Neither hobbit had much to fear for they had both been swept up to safety by Glider's muscular arms. The master monk set them down gently and looked wonderingly about.

From the floor under the dining room table, Shalin glanced up to discover that Bren had, once again, sacked him and protected him from danger. He leaned on one elbow and scribed to Bren with a smile. You realize such actions will only cause your reputation as "Elf Magnet" to blossom all the more? Then Shalin watched Bren exit with his teammates to do what else? Protect them, of course!

As Nivirea, Luna, Sparkle, Bren, and Bria exited the dining room, they made soft footfalls through the corridor and into the Grand Pool room. Here, the unexpected waited with timeless patience...

... for the sorceress, wizardess, dragoness, and healer could not be prepared for the sight they saw. The Grand Pool, that humongous body of blue-lit water rocked slowly back and forth like a living thing. It was as if some mighty force had shaken the entire Adventurers' Wagon and all within it. The pool sloshed to and fro with slow, great waves mimicking the incessant rolling of the distant ocean. It was, for a moment, hypnotic in its beauty and majesty to see that much water pulling from side to side so much that the edges of the pool were shining wet. Each of the adventurers knew it would take no short amount of time until those swells calmed into the reflective and peaceful pool they had come to know.

And yet, the mystery remained as to the cause of it all.

Bren and the lady Wayfaring Wanderers then spied the two tremendous bowls that constantly smoked purple on either side of the only door to the outside. Those round containers seemed slightly out of their ordinary position but the mists continued to rise from their insides creating that cloudy wall of fine-smelling fumes.

Through the violet barrier the Wayfaring Wanderers trod and out of the front door...

... to a scene none of them could have possibly expected.

This instrumental mood music...
"L'enfant" by Vangelis. Such a great tune to travel to! =)

...to this incredible view. =)
I recommend muting this and just listening to Vangelis's music. =)

The eight massive Clydesdale/Shire horses were moving all right. They were moving in a way they never had before. Now spread out from one another, linked together by a harness that appeared to have transformed with them, each helping to pull the Adventurers' Wagon through the bright sky with the power of their wings...

pegasus_o.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest)

And there you were - you and everyone you are adventuring with were being carried along through the skies far above the fabled Road of Kings. You did seem to still follow that small brown string of a road now far below you. The wind blew fiercely and your hair and clothes with it. Sparkle held tight. Bria gasped and grasped the drivers' chair for stability, for you were flying along at an incredible speed you could not wish to know upon land.

"Oh! Oh my Heavens!"

But then again, why not wish? Why not dream?

You were, after all, on Sharseya... =)

Last edited:
Luna stands there, her mouth wide open in amazement and shock. "Oh, my stars! We're flying! This is amazing! I never knew that the Grand Wagon could do this! Stewart, you know more about the Wagon than anyone else here; has this ever happened before?"

Raising the volume of her cry, Luna calls out, "Stewart! Everyone! You have to see this! Come out here!"

Despite having been the first to gaze upon the dreamlike scene, and thus having had the most time to do so, Nivirea was still quite stunned by the time Luna and the others arrived to stand next to her. She stared out across the winged steeds and the expanse of the Evergreen below with unhidden amazement. Finally, with some effort, she turned away to face Bren. Her green eyes were vibrant and alive, her black hair flaunted in the wind, and her lips were drawn into a childlike grin.

"You do realize that between this and the swimming pool," she told him, "You're never getting rid of me?"

Raising the volume of her cry, Luna calls out, "Stewart! Everyone! You have to see this! Come out here!"

(OOC for Sherwood)
I am going to take a small liberty here with Luna for your and her benefit; I hope you don't mind. =)

Learned arcanist that she was, Luna's long hours of scholarly training told her that in order to be heard at all, she would have to be inside the magical wagon, not outside as she was. So Luna briefly reentered the Adventurers' Wagon only entrance. Once beyond the ever-present cauldrons with their smoky purple veil, she stood and looked. Though she was inside the Grand Pool, she noticed the faraway door to the hall leading to the dining room had fortunately been left open. This happy circumstance would likely allow her voice to travel to her intended listeners. Armed thus, she called out.

She was rewarded with the sounds of mad scrambling and what sounded like clinking and jingling dishware from the hallway.

Then having done so, she exited and found herself and Sparkle again with the wind blowing through her hair and robes and facing the kind of majestic view that only birds, dragons, and creatures of the air experience - flight!

(Mood music)
"Caribbean Blue" by Enya. =)

Bria's brown eyes and happy smile were wide in the face of the wind. Pegasi! It had been so long! By their markings, these were the same team of great horses that had pulled the Adventurers' Wagon since this adventure had begun, but now each had wings! Long, beauteous wings, flowy and richly-feathered and beating in unison providing the smoothest of airborne journeys as they made their way across the wide blue Sharseyan sky.

And her dear Otiorin was missing it!

"Otioooooriiiiin!" Bria's ever-heartfelt voice was loud in the wind, but in her excitement she had not thought about the extra-dimensional properties of the Adventurers' Wagon, so caught up was she in the thrill of the moment.

While Otiorin's face did not immediately appear, another did, thanks to Luna. It was red-eyed and large and full of whiskers and it looked around excitedly and said, "HAY, what'z wif all da yellin'?!" Then Powerpaw saw everything at once. He looked down to see if the scene were true. He gasped greatly. For what he saw from on high looked a lot like this:

(This.)
high up.jpg
(Image credit: VideoBlocks)

While the ferocious feline was incapable of feeling fear, he had no such defense against the sense-stopping power of awe. 'WHAT DA FACE?!" he cried, followed by, "MOM! MOM! YOU GOTTA SEE DIS!! HAY MOM!" He continued on while clambering up to the top of the Adventurers' Wagon to make room for her. Once carefully there, he held on tight, for it seemed that the team of pegasi were gently but firmly climbing in altitude.

Sure enough, Mamapaw, Stewart, and the Meadowsweets each came out and suddenly recoiled against the wagon, for there was precious little room up front to hold them all. Each exclaimed mightily, Mamapaw by Bastet and Mielikki and the hobbits to Yondalla while they re-clung to each other as excitedly as they had moments before in the dining room.

Scholarly Stewart's exclamations were different in that they were all questions. "How in Boccob's neutral name did we arrive here?! Who is driving us?! And most importantly, where in Sharseya are we gooooing?!" Stewart gaped, his large eyes staring everywhere. He held onto his plumed hat looked around for answers - for he had come to the quick conclusion that he none to give!

Luna looks out in amazement, and finally forces her mouth to shut as she stands there, gaping like a novice faced with a real wizard performing wondrous magic. Finally, she asks, "Um, who is steering this thing? Is there a way to safely get to the top of the Wagon and look without falling?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back