• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter IV: Forgotten Sands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dina Ailsa

http://www.rpdom.com/threads/dina-ailsa.53054/http://www.rpdom.com/threads/dina-ailsa.53054/Lost Child of Asgard

http://www.rpdom.com/threads/dina-ailsa.53054/http://www.rpdom.com/threads/dina-ailsa.53054/

"The angel of Secrets. It is only appropriate that you know more about the Amaranth. Ilhirel is powerful and commands an army of demons. We are mere mortals and we got this far. Don't you think she would be even more successful?" Dina pointed out hoping to hear more about the Amaranth and it's defenses.

"There isn't a single being on this world who knows more about the Amaranth than me." Raziel replied, taking a defensive stance. "I know what it is, and I know where it is. I would make a poor Angel of Secrets if I did not. Perhaps..." A shadow of doubt crept over his face. "Perhaps the Sorceress Ilhirel might know as much as me, somehow, for she came from beyond the Veil and traversed the Abyss to get here. She is immensely powerful, that is certain. But even if she knew where the Vessel of Creation was, which she clearly doesn't, stealing it would be no small feat, even for the likes of her. The Amaranth was placed in its current resting place by the Maker himself - His last act on this world - He made sure that His artifact would not simply be up for grabs by curious adventurers. But I will not discuss with you the details of where and how is the Amaranth protected."

Last edited by a moderator:

And then he remembered. A'kal suffered a flashback of his very young childhood before he was taken to the Temple of Time. His father was the one who had mentioned Hellguard originally, when he was in a council of other Varden leaders. But that wasn't all, while he was in the Temple of Time, his elders had said that he would come face to face with one of the Hellguard within the coming age of war and darkness.

"I do remember..." He composed himself, "One of your guardians named me as the 'Child of Hellguard.' What did it mean?"

"I suppose I shouldn't be surprised." said the angel, focusing back on A'kal. "It has been thousands of years. The guardians called you thus because that is what you are; child of Hellguard. Blood makes noise, and I can hear the blood of angels flowing through your veins. Uriel's blood, to be exact - even after all this time and generations past."

"Blood of the angels? So it is true?"
Meric sounded intrigued shifting his gaze from the angel to A'kal and back.

Raziel sighed. "I will retell the full story, for I see the hunger in your eyes. It is your heritage, after all." He took a few moments to prepare, then delivered the story. "In her travels Uriel, the Angel of Light, came across a small kingdom of men that was under constant attack by a vile, serpent-like race known as the Naga. Again and again, the beasts assailed the kingdom, and though the men fought bravely, their strength withered as their losses grew. Uriel was moved by their suffering; she could not stand to watch the inevitable fall of the kingdom. She came back to the Hellguard with a plea to save the humans, despite knowing well that us angels were not meant to engage in earthly pursuits - our sole purpose was to defend the realm from otherworldly threats. But after hearing what she had to say many of us went to see for ourselves. And never before had we seen such a sight in mortals - a bastion of honor and righteousness, men of pure heart in a kingdom besieged by death, valiantly striving to survive. We finally agreed to help, but Uriel wanted more - she wanted to make these mortals our allies, to rise them up so that they too might serve the balance as the Hellguard's chosen. Swayed by her passion, we allowed it. So Uriel descended from the heavens and made a covenant with the humans - she mixed her own blood with that of mortals, ascending them and granting them some of the power of angels. Only a few received this great honor, those with the purest hearts. Afterwards, the Hellguard destroyed the Naga. We believed we had annihilated them; but time would prove us wrong."

"After the battle we left, taking the ascended Varden with us. We did not regret our unprecedented decision. They served the Hellguard well and lived up to Uriel's expectations. When we brought them to Asgard, its mighty kingdom was just in the making, and the realm faced a grave danger. Wicked sorcerers had sundered the Veil in many places, and demons slipped through daily. We were glad to have the Varden at our disposal, for they were greater in number than us angels and could cover more ground. We tasked them with finding and sealing the holes in the Veil, before the demons could amass. They were successful, and eventually the demonic invasion was contained. Most of the Varden, accompanied by a few angels, marched against the largest of the remaining pockets of resistance in an attempt to wipe them out quickly - and this is where things went terribly wrong. Amid the battle, the demons suddenly received reinforcements from the tear in the Veil, and the tides were turned without warning. Even with the few angels fighting alongside them, the Varden could not withstand. By the time the rest of the Hellguard was summoned, the Varden were decimated. Survivors were few."

"Uriel felt their pain more than anyone else. She felt responsible. It was ultimately decided that it was too dangerous to keep the Varden in service of the Hellguard. We thought to return them home, but meanwhile the Naga had returned and once more laid waste to their ancient kingdom. This time it was beyond saving. So the Hellguard did one last favor to their chosen mortals; we brought the survivors from the lost kingdom to Asgard, where they joined with what remained of their ascended kin and started anew. The Hellguard made no attempt to contact any Varden since, though I know that Uriel has never ceased watching her Ascended. And thus you are."

A'kal was rather stunned by the tale. Part of him didn't want to believe it but he knew the angel's words were truth. He looked at his sword, the burning eye seemed to be staring into his very soul. He grabbed it and pulled it easily out it's sheath and held it up to Raziel. "This was the blade of my father and his father before him. As long as my people have existed, this blade has served my lineage. However the lore behind it has been vague... all I know of it is that it is a weapon of ancient power. Is there more to this blade? Was it blessed by Uriel?"

After a few moments of study, Raziel answered: "Both blades you carry are of Hellguard make. As for Uriel - perhaps you will get a chance to ask her yourself, soon. Now... Was there anything else?"

Meric joined in. "What of the war and the Amaranth?" he asked.

The angel contemplated for some time before replying. "This war would be none of our concern - the Hellguard cares not who sits on the throne of Asgard - but the situation seems to be closely linked to the Amaranth. I cannot say more, yet. I shall take this matter before the rest of the Hellguard for discussion. You can leave this place by using the Atavr - the doorway through which we speak. It serves as a portal of more than one kind. The first person to go through should clear his or her mind of everything save the desired destination; the rest may simply follow without attempting to alter it. But be cautious." he warned them. "The Atavr is capable of transporting you to anywhere in Creation. Make no mistake about your destination. Farewell, until we speak again."

Having said that, the angel faded from view. The portal's golden hues dimmed, apparently remaining in a state of lesser activity.

"Amazing." Meric said, more to himself than anyone else. "Simply amazing. Angels exist after all, it seems."

"That's not to say they're of much help." Feyn grunted. "Basically the great Angel of Secrets showed us to the door, instead of leading an army against an evil mage who, if gone unchecked, will destroy the world."

"We can worry about that later. What now, is what I'd like to know." said Laurolf who started pacing around. Henvei was lost in his own thoughts, like Xenthriss who spent the conversation in the far background.

Violet sprung to life.

"We should definitely meet with the Resistance, yes." she said. "But not in Ridge. We need to bring Dina before our leader in Darkvale."

"Darkvale?" Laurolf frowned. "That be far to the north, close to the dwarven realm. I agree!" he grinned.

Violet nodded, looking around. "Then we should make haste for Dunn."

Dunn was the biggest city in Darkvale, positioned near the Darkvale Mountains, close to where the river Dunnaev springs. A'kal and Valtieri knew that it was very close to the Resistance's headquarters.

"I believe Raziel encouraged us to use this... portal contraption." said Meric. "In which case, I suppose Violet should go first? Since you know the way." He looked at his compatriot.

Violet nods and approaches the portal. "Is everyone ready?" she asks, keeping an eye on Dina.

Dina Ailsa

http://www.rpdom.com/threads/dina-ailsa.53054/http://www.rpdom.com/threads/dina-ailsa.53054/Lost Child of Asgard

http://www.rpdom.com/threads/dina-ailsa.53054/http://www.rpdom.com/threads/dina-ailsa.53054/

"Alas, no more melting." Dina said jokingly. She looked over her shoulder and held her gaze for a few moments. If she leaves now will she ever again have a contact with the Taint as direct and fast? Dina wondered if she should try her luck one more time. If she could find out more about he Taint here. Probably. Like many times in life she had to decide. Maybe it was wiser not to wake a sleeping lion. Dina looked back and caught Violet's gaze. She smiled reassuringly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

Valtieri is so full of questions for the angel it paralyzes him. By the time he regains his composure long to enough to form a number of questions on the nature of spirits and the concept of intrinsic beauty, the audience is over.

Damn it all, he sighs to himself. Can't make a mistake like that again. And all this way for a celestial birthright - hopefully this Varden will prove useful to the cause.

It'll be good to be back among Resistance. He holds his counsel, simply nodding to Violet.

With no one expressing any objections towards leaving the forsaken temple nor regarding the Chosen's next destination, Violet positions herself by the portal's dimmed gold surface.

"Try not to think about the bottom of the sea, elf." says Xenthriss with a mocking grin.

"And you try not to think about the Inquisition's headquarters in Alicante. Hardly a place for a blood mage." Violet told him off without hesitation, but she paused for several long moments to concentrate before stepping into the portal. The surface immediately came to life in a blaze of gold, and the elf was gone.

Meric positioned himself on the side of the portal, staring at it for a second, then faced everyone else. "Alright, let's move. Best not to test how long until the trail goes cold."

One by one, everyone was ultimately swallowed by the Atavr. Meric went in last, after glancing one more time across the white marble floor and the stoic guardian angel statues that were once again left to their solitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back