• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter III: Scales of Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet Robbins

"Going right for the tough questions, eh?" Violet said wryly. She sat down next to the girl and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"First of all, you have to stop being so hard on yourself." Violet said, her tone serious, but still kind, "One of the key parts of being a leader is believing in yourself. If you can't, how do you expect others, especially people you don't even know, to do so? Once you can do that, you can start on the journey to being a great leader. Also, its never too late to learn how to lead," She added brightly, "I used to be a "shrinking violet", if you'll forgive the pun, until one day I had enough of being pushed around. After that point, I decided that I'd never let anyone make me do something that I didn't want to do or put me in a situation that I wasn't okay with."

Violet stopped, thinking for a moment before continuing, "There's no set way to become a leader, otherwise I'd tell you it. You just have to find those qualities within you that others may not have or can't access themselves. For example, you say that you've never been different than any other person. That's a good thing! Who better to understand the people than someone who knows what's its like to be in their shoes. That's the kind of thing that is unique to you and will make you a good leader. Also, you can't be so afraid of failure that you let that fear stop you from even trying. If you let that happen, that is when you truly fail."

At this point, she flashed Dina a confidant smile, hoping that it might cheer her up. She often had to play the role of confidant for her fellow Resistance members who would occasionally get depressed about one thing or the other. The only downside was that she normally cheered up men, so she hoped that this would actually work and that she'd be able to cheer Dina up.

Dina Ailsa

Dina laughed, this did make her feel better. "I'm still far from being anything. The only thing that is special about me is...I'm not sure what...but it's like there is something wrong with the nature herself." she said remembering what happened when she tried to trap that drakkar, the Dark company informant. "It's hard to explain. It's like the feeling you get when someone asks you for help...you know.." Dina tried to explain while giving Violet the please-help-me look. "And apart from that: I'm clumsy, weak and unexperienced..." she sighed. "I can be pretty if that counts for something. Not like at the moment." Dina laughed, pushing her hair back.

"No, it's this way." said Meric as the trio reached Fisherman's Bridge. Instead of crossing over, the elf led them down a cracked staircase carved into the side of the stone road. There was a narrow path following the river below the level of the road, running both ways up and down Sava. Meric led them downriver, towards the delta where it flowed into the Shallow Sea.

The weather couldn't have been more perfect for the occasion. This close to the shoreline there was a thick fog hiding their advance. Visibility was reduced down to a mere thirty feet. There were small, makeshift wooden docks along the canal but very few boats and not a soul in sight. The water level was just three feet under, but as they got closer to the sea their narrow pathway rose upwards while also distancing itself from the shoreline by rocks and actual shore. They were still well below the road level, lined with walls of buildings at this point, and that's when they reached their destination.

"Sewers." Xenthriss grunted. "Where else would that stinking lot be hiding at?"

They stood in front of a sewage pipe, large enough for a man to be standing in. The entrance was barred, though, and the door padlocked. Usually you would be able to see the lighthouse just the opposite way, but through this fog it was a wonder that the beacon light was visible at all.

Tharos Silverlane

"And we are sure they are here?" Tharos asked inquisitively. "I don't want to be taking any risks we don't have to." He directed his commentary towards Meric. It wasn't "fear of the dark" that gave him an edgy feeling. The fog seemed all too convenient, and would be perfect for staging an ambush of some kind. He glanced about before looking back to Meric. His left hand was gripping the pommel of his blade tightly in case of emergency. He looked at Xenthriss as well to make sure his companion was still present.

Tharos was not too easy to scare, but it was situations like these that made him nervous.

Meric looked around warily, eyed the sewer pipe and replied: "That's what the proprietor said. And given the circumstances," he directed a meaningful look at Xenthriss, "I believe his information was correct. Keep in mind that we delivered Andrew to the Watch right after. He didn't have the chance to warn the Dark Company, so chances are no one knows we're coming."

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's get off the path before someone happens by and I have to... Silence them." Xenthriss grinned, then prepared to break the lock down with the pommel of his massive blade.

"Wait, damnit." Meric stopped him. "We need to be quiet about this." Not waiting for a counter comment from the drakkar, the elf crouched by the bars and worked the lock. It took him less than a minute to pick it, resulting in a rewarding screech as the door opened inwards. "Slides too readily." he noted, standing up again. "Clearly this door is far from unused. Let's move, but careful."

The elf slid inside. His footsteps were barely audible in comparison to Xenthriss', despite the drakkar's efforts to be quiet. The pipe was just big enough for a single person to walk without having to keep his head down. The pale daylight faded further in, ending in darkness.

Tharos Silverlane

A'kal followed behind Meric into the sewer without further question. He loosened the blade on his hip just in case they ran into trouble, but paid more attention to being silent as to not warn anyone further on of their presence even as Xenthriss seemed to have a difficult time following suit in the stealth aspect of their tread.

The three figures slid further into the pipe. Just when the darkness was nearing pitch black, a faint torchlight could be detected coming from a tunnel branch a bit ahead. There was but the smallest stream of water in the middle of the pipeline they walked, barely enough to keep going. When they neared the source of the light, it was apparent that this pipe was at a premature end: An iron fence blocked the way, but there was another tunnel branching off to the left, and that's where the light was coming from. Judging by the intensity, there was a torch probably just around the corner.

Then a figure of a man appeared from the lit tunnel, stopping as it stepped into the main pipe. Meric paused for merely a brief moment before quickly overcoming the last dozen feet and driving a long dagger into him, just as the man tried to draw his own steel. But that wasn't the worst of it.

Just then, from another tunnel on the right side which they somehow completely overlooked, another figure appeared. He was also a human, and stared at Xenthriss and Tharos who were closest, briefly, then spotting Meric lower the corpse of the man he just killed.

"What the hell?!" he said, fumbling to draw a sword.

Violet Robbins

"Well, these things take time. You have to go out and get those experiences and skill that will make you a unique person. Until you get there, you have me and the others to help you." Violet said, smiling and smoothing down some stray hair. "Now, let's see if you can't get you prettied up before the trial today."

The Dark Elf stood up, a confidant grin on her face. He offered her hand to Dina, offering both help getting up and help getting to that point of leadership.

Dina Ailsa

Dina took Violet's hand with a smile. "Lets. I can't stand in front of people looking like this!" she laughed looking down on herself. She's right. I just hope that there will indeed be enough time for me to grow amid all this.

Back in the sewer pipeline, the second guard who happened upon the infiltration group fell dead in moments, his throat ripped apart by Xenthriss' blood magic from a distance. Meric shot him a look of disgust - blood magic was highly illegal and banned in Asgard, after all. The elf glanced at Silverlane as well, then motioned for the two to follow him as he went into the lit side passage.

Meanwhile, a lone dwarf stood on the street passing by the Ridge Academy. There were few people on the town streets when he started off, but traffic was slowly picking up. No one was on the great, wide stairs leading up to the Academy entrance at the moment, though.

Laurolf's search for Henvei and Eltheron, the two members of the Chosen who hadn't reported in last night, was to begin here.

"Are you two coming?" asked Meric in a half whisper while peeking with his head from behind the corner. "We don't have all day."

"Yesss..." said Xenthriss, hissing the word. "This was merely the start. There is far more blood to be had." Completely ignoring Meric's look of disbelief, the huge drakkar made his way along the iron pipeline and stepped into the lit side passage after the elf who disappeared into it again. The more they progressed inside, the more the whole place reeked of sewage. But that was to be expected, of course.

When Silverlane followed, the three adventurers managed to get a bit further - just past a turn - before immediately finding themselves against a solid-looking metal door. It was half dark, since the torchlight emanated from behind the previous corner now - but they could see a single feature about the door that stood out; an indentation covered by a metal slate on the other side. There was no handle or lock anywhere. Clearly this door was meant to be opened from the inside only, and after an inspection of the visitors through the peek-hole.

Meric said something in elvish that didn't sound nice. While he was busy thinking, Xenthriss leaned against the wall, practically blocking off the passage with his massive figure, and started what appeared to be casual conversation with Tharos who was last in line.

"You there. Human. Silvermane." he chuckled, ignoring Meric who was signaling him to keep quiet. "You're not afraid of blood, are you? Death?" The drakkar petted his enormous blade as if it were a toy protruding from the cover of his torn black cape. His eyes gleamed a creepy green color.

Meanwhile, the dwarf Laurolf entered through the great gates and found himself in the reception of the Academy. He could see more people here than there were on the streets on the way. Scholars, mostly wearing robes, glided across the hallway single, in pairs, and even in a few larger groups of three or four. Apparently academic life in Ridge started early, and it was seemingly oblivious to Laurolf's presence.

Aside from the main entrance, there were two other ways out of the reception chamber. Both passages were high, nearly as high as the ceiling above which was barely visible in the shadows, door-less, and led to the east and west wings of the Academy, respectively. The reception itself featured very few furnishings aside from various artwork lining the walls; paintings and rugs for most part. There were a few benches along the sides, but the dominant piece was the circular reception desk made of dark wood in the center of the room. It seemed neatly organized, though at this distance Laurolf couldn't see exactly what was on it - apparently papers - but there was no one inside the counter at the moment.

Figures of men and elves passed on their way, leading their own private conversations or pacing in silence, none giving the dwarf a second look.

Two hours later, back at the Ruffled Feathers restaurant on Justice Square, the time would come for Dina and Violet to attend today's trial.

The front doors opened, letting in a young boy - he couldn't have been more than eight - shouting: "The Tribunal, the Tribunal's about to start!" The few people inside stirred, and about half got up and left the restaurant. They were all probably just killing time here until the show started. That's what it was for most of them - the common folk cared more for the fact that there was a trial than the outcome itself.

Dina and Violet were sitting at a table when the call came. They were supposed to go out there and assume their position as representatives of the defense for Captain Raynard who was accused of murder. It would be a tough job to do, Violet knew better than Dina. The girl was still young. She didn't go through things that Violet did. Thank Maker, but no innocence could last long in the world today, and sometimes, just sometimes - it was better to know than not to. Either way, their tactic for the day was similar to the previous day: Delay the trial until the rest of the fellowship could turn up some evidence.

Easier said than done.

Tharos Silverlane

His first instinct was that of his true self. He was not afraid of death. He understood what in entailed and with that knowledge, fear of it has dispersed from his mind. However he had to continue his role as the human fighter for the Resistance. "Am I afraid of blood? No. Am I afraid of death...?" he thought for a moment before responding, "I'll cross that bridge when I get there." His voice was in a soft whisper to stay as quiet as possible. His hand was on the grip of his sword as he advanced with his companions.

Dina Ailsa

Dina rose without a word, straightened her back, took a deep breath and looked at Violet."Shall we?" she said. Dina knew there wasn't that much to present, but what she did know was that she will give her all. With that thought the young girl headed for the door, her head held high.

Upon leaving the restaurant, Dina and Violet would find the same Tribunal setup from the day before. The crowd had already gathered, separated from the center of the square by a circle of City Watch soldiers. The skies above were just as grey as earlier in the morning, but at least there was no rain. Yet. Captain Raynard was already in his place beside two guards who brought him. He looked as gloomy as the weather overhead. Whatever hope he mustered yesterday must have worn off.

Final preparations were being made. The guards nearby recognized Dina and Violet and were clearing the way for them to enter the middle of the square and take their spot at the defense's table.

Two hours before, the infiltration group was still stuck close to the sewer entrance.

"Good," Xenthriss replied, evidently satisfied with Silverlane's answer. "But it's not so much a bridge as it is... a door."

At that the elf turned around to face his companions and stared at him. "Xenthriss...!" he warned him in a half whisper, but it was in vain. The colossal drakkar was already on the move, giving Meric just enough time to hug the wall. Xenthriss collided with the locked door, pounding them hard, but they must have been bolted on the other side because they resisted even such a violent attempt to open them. "Bastard." said Meric loudly, clearly giving up on the idea of stealth.

Xenthriss just laughed and rammed the door again. This time he was rewarded with a cracking sound, but also sounds of footsteps and voices somewhere on the other side. As the drakkar prepared a final effort, Meric looked at Silverlane and said: "Whatever's on the other side... Be ready."

Third time was the charm, as the drakkar tore through the wooden door, breaking it in pieces and falling into the chamber beyond. Through the threshold they saw a large enough room, well lit with a few wall torches, and two more figures... human, blocking the way to the hallway that continued on the other side.

Dina Ailsa

Dina could feel herself slightly shaking. As she neared her seat the girl's heart dropped to her knees. The last time she was here the goal was to postpone the trial, but now she was really fighting for someone's life. In her mind Dina went back to a time she first tried saving a life on her own...the memory resulted in her increased shaking. There wasn't a soul to help her back then and she felt the same way now. But you're not alone. She glanced at Violet. Was she ever going to be able to do something important with confidence but without anyone's support? Dina let out a long sigh trying to calm herself. With gray skies above and a storm of doubt within, Dina couldn't bring herself to share an encouraging smile with the captain who needed it most. His life is in your hands. There shouldn't be this fear or doubt! You are fighting for the truth! Hold your head high! Don't let anything hold you down... Dina did try to look confident, half-succeeding. She also remembered what her mother told her once: "Act how you wish to feel and often you will find yourself feeling so as you act it out."

Violet Robbins

Seeing that Dina was a bit nervous, Violet placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder and flashed her a smile. She believed in the the girl and just wished that Dina would believe in herself. Her thoughts then shifted to the trial at hand. She felt confidant that they could manage what they needed to today. They had strong evidence working in their favor. However, she wasn't about to let her guard down. Their opponents were wily and would no doubt give them a good fight.

When everything was finally ready, the judge requests silence and after a few moments speaks.

"This is the second session of the trial to Captain Raynard of Ridge, who stands accused of murder. If everyone is ready, I proclaim this Tribunal underway. Prosecution?"

Thorne springs up from his seat and takes a slight bow. "Ready, your Honor."

The judge nods, then looks over at the other table. "And the defense? Your numbers seem somehow diminished."

Thorne chuckled, and there were a few laughs from the crowd as well. "They've realized the hopelessness of their case and made the only logical choice, I imagine." says the prosecutor.

"Keep your comments to yourself, prosecutor. I asked the defense." The judge effectively erases an idiotic grin from Thorne's face. "Well?" he asks, looking at Violet and Dina.

Dina Ailsa

Dina smiled slightly when the judge shut Thorne up. She rose from her seat. "We are ready your Honor. Our companions are currently pursuing a matter of great importance which will be revealed gradually throughout the trial if you'll allow it." Dina stated loud and clear while glancing at Thorne. One coud say that he brought out the worst, or the best in her. Depends on a standpoint. Dina wanted to crush him utterly. That high-and-mighty attitude of his was an open invitation for a fight with her. It would seem that what Dina really needed was something to focus upon, not to think of the crowd or the fact that she was still very nervous. For this, Thorne was perfect.

"Very well." the judge nodded. "I will accept new evidence as it is brought to the court's attention. Meanwhile, this Tribunal is resumed. Prosecutor, you may begin."

"Thank you, your Honor." says Thorne, moving away from his chair to begin slowly pacing in front of the audience. "Yesterday the prosecution began proving the guilt of Captain Raynard from the Ridge City Watch. Today, we shall finish this affair." He was still smiling, confident. What did he have up his sleeve?

"I'd like to call a witness, your Honor." Seeing the judge nod in approval, Thorne signals for the witness to be brought in. The man who approached to take the witness stand was wearing a guard's uniform. "State your name and occupation for the court, please."

"William, sir. I'm with the City Watch." William looked to be still fairly young. Perhaps twenty-five at the most. He seemed excited.

"Alright." the prosecutor leaned against his table. "Now testify to the court about the night when Captain Raynard was arrested."

William nodded and began at once. "After receiving that anonymous note warning us that a murder was about to take place, myself and four other guards from the barracks went straight down to the warehouse area." William paused for a moment, then added: "We located the right one and stormed inside."

"Inside we found the Captain standing over a body. It was lieutenant Ferndow, dead! We immediately arrested Captain Raynard, right there on the spot, sir."

After the soldier completed his account of events, prosecutor Thorne nodded. "I think everything is clear here."

The judge said: "The defense may cross-examine the witness."

Dina Ailsa

Dina wasn't sure what she could gain from examining this witness. Everything he said was already well known and no new information was given. Oh, well. "William, did you know the victim personally? Captain Raynard too?" she asked, then leaned slightly to Violet. "When the time comes, I'll call you to testify. Are you ready for that?" Dina whispered. She didn't take her eyes off the witness. I hope we won't end up beating the dead horse.

William thinks for a moment, then says: "Lieutenant Ferndow, yes. I knew him even before he became a lieutenant. Captain Raynard... Well, not personally. As much as any other soldier in town I guess."

As Dina pondered her line of questioning she couldn't help but ask herself what would Meric do if he was here. The elf handled things pretty well yesterday. Perhaps he would see something that she's missing, if there was anything at all.

Dina Ailsa

Maybe I should mention the Dark company. No, not yet. "And do you happen to know what was he working on before he was killed?" Dina continued hoping that the name will be brought to light without her mentioning it.

"Working on?" the witness blinked. "The only case here worth mentioning is the ongoing investigation against the Dark Company. Lieutenant Ferndow was involved in that, being a lieutenant in the City Watch. All the high officials are working on it, one way or the other. Not that there's much to work on."

Dina got what she wanted, but what good would it do?

Dina Ailsa

"Can you tell us something more about the Company?" Dina gave Violet a meaningful look. Should I also invite captain to the stand? I think I will, it must be made clear that he had nothing to do with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back