• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter II: Blades in Motion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The three guards that followed them paused at the beginning of the dock. They hesitated, seeing the escapees board a large ship, unwilling to risk being outnumbered. One of them was human. Just then the rest of the reinforcements started pouring out across the curve from which you could see the shoreline. There were around two dozen, mostly Reindir knights - their numbers were bolstered by the troops brought in with the general.

Violet knew of Niara Shadowleaf all to well, but must have been surprised to learn of her presence. She wasn't supposed to be here.

Following the captain's orders, the crew was already working to set sail. There were ten of them, which was incidentally just enough to man a ship this size. Meric fell in with them to help speed things up. By the time enemy soldiers reached the docks, both the anchor and the sails were raised, and ropes taken care of. The ship was free and away. The crew disappeared below deck to row. Brigantines were usually equipped with both propelling systems.

They had just left the dock when Niara reached the place where the boarding plank was not too long ago. Her figure was unmistakable. Tall, clad in green, gold-trimmed armor shining in the afternoon sun. She kicked a knight in the water - one of those three that hesitated to follow the Chosen onto the brigantine. Afterwards she just stood there ignoring everything around her and stared at the fellowship who looked back at her from the ship's railing. Her facial expression couldn't be made out. She couldn't have been happy though.

Xenthriss chuckled. "I reckon we just put the good general in an awkward position."

Those who kept looking back could see that there would be no pursuit. The enemy didn't have the means to quickly follow them across the sea. Niara and her knights marched back towards the Great Library, likely going to thoroughly explore it. They'd find the secret passage and the tunnel. They'd find the secret section with its skeletal guardian perhaps still frozen in place. But they wouldn't find what they came here for. The proof linked to the Amaranth, taken by Dina, was now in the hands of the scholar, Henvei. General Shadowleaf would return back to Alicante empty-handed... For the first time in her career.

And Ilhirel would not be pleased at all.

Henvei Relkor vech Daltzen

Henvei could already feel the onset of wooziness. To say that the Folk had little taste for the ocean would have been an understatement: mere minutes into the journey, and the scholar's hands already grasped the side of the ship for support. The scholar's eyes shut tight as he carefully centered himself, pushing and prodding his mind in an effort to keep it focused. But the prospect was with little hope. Echhh! There were...perhaps, what, three Folk sailors? Three! To think. A historic moment, in the making, and here, scholar, bent on knee and clenching gut! Ought it be shame, or pity, pity for those brave souls who sentenced themselves to such a terrible fate?

As a result, he half-wanted to refused the book entirely.

"I will need a study space..." he had grumbled, upon receiving the notebook from Dina, more so out of general distaste for the prior proceedings than any actual need for scholastic space. Nevertheless, he would not have objected if the opportunity presented itself. Oh, to think! Disappearing into a library yet again, to partake of rich tomes and savory novels, sipping a steaming glass of fire-forged tea...The scholar's eyes misted over with what little memories he had, of libraries, and ink-pens.

Ah. Ink-pens. The passing thought of his little spoils from the Library brought Henvei back to reality. His return was aided by an evil jolt from the Codex, which roused itself from deep sleep to remind the scholar which of his books was truly the most important. "Yes, yes..." He muttered again, taking firm hold of the notebook. "I will look at it." He assured Dina, with little conviction in his voice, and little thought to his words. Indeed, the most concrete of the magus' ideas was how little he desired a sea cruise, and it showed on his face.

Nevertheless, the scholar was a man of his word...at least, when the written word was involved. Taking the notebook, he limped off, clutching onto the sides of the ship, until about halfway to the stern, in which he simply gave up dignity, and reverted to an animalistic half crawl, half prowl. Eventually, he disappeared into the cracks and crevices of the ship, nesting within what shade he could find, until the proper time would come to investigate what knowledge he had collected. For now, however, there was only one secret at hand: How the few Folk sailors could endure such madness.

Violet Robbins

With her hands on her hips and a satisfied smile Violet said "Well, that takes of that little problem." Facing the others, she continued saying "I've been wanting to beat her to something for quite a while now. You guys can get settled below deck when you're ready. Dina, lets head to my room where we can speak more privately. Not that I don't trust your new companions, I just feel like there's personal stuff you want to talk about. Plus, I'll be able to show that dress I mentioned."

Moving to the cabin door again, Violet opened it and gestured inward "C'mon, I'm sure I have plenty to catch up on."

Eltheron Delioss

Eltheron stood at the ship's rail, watching the now distant city shrink ever farther and farther away. To say he was surprised that the soldiers didn't put up more of a fight and chase would be an understatement, but he'd take whatever victory he could at this point. It was early in their journey, there'd be plenty of chances in the soon future to wet his blades with the blood of the traitorous ilk.

Dina Ailsa

"Indeed. And I was hoping to get out of this potato bag. You said It's a blue one, right? Must be cute when you picked it out for me." Dina went on in a girly manner, she was happy that she was getting a new dress. Hey, which girl wouldn't be? There were more serious topics but until they get to Violet's room this will do. She went through the cabin door, made a few quick steps and then waited for Violet to do the same.

Violet Robbins

Proceeding through the door, Violet shot one last glance at Dina's companions. There were any interesting bunch if nothing else. What ever she had missed was definitely going to be an interesting story. Once inside, she started off toward her quarters, gesturing for Dina to follow.

Later that day, somewhere in the Shallow Sea...

------------------------------------------------------------------

The moon was high. It must have been near midnight. The ship, Sunrise, sailed steady into the night on the gentle waves. Only the sounds of water splashing, wood creaking and sails fluttering with the occasional change of wind could be heard. But it was just a matter of time before one of them broke this peaceful serenity.

Dina couldn't sleep. She just woke up from a dream where she was walking up a grassy hill covered in white flowers. It was night. She could hear her mother's voice calling out from the other side. She climbed and the white flowers began turning crimson red with her passing. Then mother screamed her name. She felt a sudden jolt of fear and started running uphill while blood trickled down from each flower. Just a moment before reaching the top there was a flash of lightning in the moonlit darkness - and she woke up.

Who could tell why Violet was up at this hour? Yet there she was, leaning against the ship's starboard. She immediately sensed Dina's presence, turning around to face her. The girl looked sad and in need, standing there beneath the cold stars.

They spoke about most things earlier that day, but it wasn't until now that the atmosphere was just right.

Violet Robbins

Violet walked over to Dina and gave a little smile. "Hey, what are you doing up so late; is everything okay?" she asked as she wrapped an arm around the girl. "Is there some you want to talk about, 'cause you know I'll always be there to listen."

Dina Ailsa

"There is." Dina leaned onto the girl seeking comfort. And then she let herself go, tears rolling down her face. "Mother's dead! And it's haunting me in my sleep." This was the first time she said it out loud. Dina realized that it was not that she didn't have time for mourning but that she couldn't do it alone. Now that she said it out loud maybe she will be able to let go. "I was collecting herbs in the woods when it happened.", she started the story still crying, "And on my way back I heard a scream and raised voices. First thing that came to mind is that the patients were fighting, it happened before. So I hurried back and..." she couldn't continue, she was crying too much.

Violet Robbins

Violet stood still for a moment staring at Dina, the shock of the news hitting her hard. She wouldn't let herself start crying though, she had be strong, just as always. First for the boys, then the troops, and now Dina. Having recovered, she knelled before the girl, drawing her into a tight embrace and saying "Its okay, you just let it out."

Her voice cracked on the last word, a tear tracing a line down her cheek. She brushed it aside, not wanting Dina to see. It would hardly do to go breaking down now. Clearing her throat, she continued "It'll be okay. It'll be hard, but not impossible; and I'll be there to help you on the way; I'm kinda an expert on losing people." "

Pulling away, still holding Dina's shoulders, Violet gave a weak smile and a sad laugh, hoping it might help lift Dina's spirit

Dina Ailsa

Dina tried to smile or laugh back, but failed miserably. "I keep thinking there was something I could have done about it had I been there in time." , she said, "Anything, grab a blade and stab a monster or two in the back. And I didn't tell you something earlier. It wasn't the Spectrals who uncovered the truth to me. I wanted to tell you, I thought I was ready for it, but I weren't. And that dress distracted me.", she tried to make a joke, "She told me the story on her death bed.", Dina looked away then, "I was so scared after it all happened. I laid her in her own bed and set the place on fire. I ran away. I will go back when I can, I want to plant some flowers for her.". Dina felt herself calm down a bit, thinking what flowers to plant. "I was too caught up in it all to think about it. She was trying to protect me when she lied about my father. Am I a bad person for being a little mad at her for it even though I understand?" She asked, it has been bothering her for a while. Dina leaned on Violet once again. "More that a month passed from then. I haven't found my way yet. There is a need for me to become a leader, but I was never the one for the job. But I'm the only one left..." she whispered. Dina stopped crying, with Violet to support her there was no room to feel alone. And she did feel better now, now that she said it out loud, now that she shared her pain with someone.

Violet Robbins

Violet patted the girls head consolingly. "There's nothing you could have done. Those freaks are handful even for someone like me. No, its better that you're alive so that you can carry on the bloodline. Without an heir, there'd be even more conflict and more death. And don't forget, you'll always have me for support. I'll do all that is in my power to protect from the machinations of the witch and her minions. In fact, I'm making that my primary mission from this day forward. I'll contact my superiors as soon as I can telling them as such. As of tomorrow, I am your lord protector."

Having finished such a serious speech, and seeing that the tears had dried in Dina's eyes, Violet smiled and said, "Now, about what you said about the old house, why stop at flowers?" She then launched into a long winded idea about a monument project for Evelyn, with flowers. For once in her life, she let her girly side show, happy to there for someone and to have someone to care for again.

Dina Ailsa

Dina felt like Violet avoided her question. I guess it's a silly question to her, I shouldn't be mad at mom. Actually, maybe I'm mad that I'm not a daughter of a commoner but a daughter of the king because I feel myself unfit for it. And this time, Dina knew she was right.

Suddenly, her "lord protector" got carried away making plans involving flowers, a monument and a lot of details. Dina laughed. "Lord protector, you sound like a girl!" she said, faking a surprise. Dina was grateful to have such a dedicated friend and indeed felt safe knowing that she will be there to protect her. Also, she felt more confident with Violet backing her up. "Hey, maybe I could use my power to shape it. I must show you what I can do once we're on dry land again.", she suggested, "I bet mother would like it that way."

Violet Robbins

Her rambling monument plans interrupted, Violet laughed at Dina's jest. She was glad to see that Dina was beginning to brighten up. With an even broader smile she replied "That sounds like a plan. It'll be interesting to see your powers in action. Just hearing about them was impressive. I'm sure Evelyn would be proud of you right now; I know I am."

Violet Robbins

"Anytime Dina," Violet replied, returning Dina's hug, "Seeing you again is by far the best surprise I've ever gotten on a mission"

Dina Ailsa

"Once I'm crowned, I'm making you my right hand.", Dina said backing away from Violet, "And not because you're reliable, smart and a dedicated friend, but because you gave me a new dress." she giggled and spun around a few times. "I was wandering, do you have some extra shoes too? Some of the hardy, practical sort?" Dina asked showing Violet her beaten shoes, that run earlier was the end of them.

Violet Robbins

"I do hope that won't be how you choose all your dignitaries. If so, there might be some problems" replied with a laugh. "On the shoe question, I should have a pair of my old army shoes that should fit you. As you can see," indicating her feet "I don't wear shoes much just because I'm better without them. They should last you forever and then some. I'll get them for you later. But for now, you should probably get back to bed; you'll need some rest after the day you've had."

Dina Ailsa

"Excellent.", Dina smiled, "And I do think you're right about the sleep thing." she yawned. "Good night." she smiled again, then turned around, "And thank you for everything." she said before she left.

Violet Robbins

"Like I said, anytime. Good night" Violet replied back, barely suppressing her own yawn. As Dina left, Violet gazed back out to sea. This new mission looked to be one of the biggest she had taken on so far and would no doubt have the most surprises.

She stayed there pondering what was to come for a time before heading to bed herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back