• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter I: The Chosen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xenthriss

Growling with agitation, Xenthriss pointed at the Council and accused them "And what... you want use to get this... device... so that you can abuse it as you see fit? I may not be a friend of your Creator, and I hate my people's enslavement to this kingdom of man, but I assure you that I will destroy the artifact if I find it. Divine or not, it is too dangerous to let fall into anyone's hands or, indeed, allow any being to use. If we are to fight for this rock than we should prove that we are worthy of it without anyone else's power, I would rather ally myself with the human scum and their malignant royalty than use another god's power.". Pausing for breath before continuing to rant, the Drakkar's eyes seemed to be practically ablaze with whatever hellish magic he knew. "What? Didn't think I'd realize just how powerful I have become or that you seem far too eager to give up your own powers? I will be my own entity, if these fools... and the dwarf... want it, then so be it. Oh, and before I forget, you might want to explain to them who and what every one of us are instead of sending us out to know neither our enemies nor ourselves.". He shook his head before grumbling "Damn immortals, not having any sense of what their 'playthings' prioritize.".

Eltheron Delioss

Eltheron would never admit it, but he agreed with that beast, that accursed flesh mage. What are they willing to share with us? Are we allies or pawns in their own game? Eltheron chose to remain silent however, waiting to see how these Immortals replied. His hands gently gripping his blades; more reflex and instinct at this moment, to fight these Spectres the blade's would be worthless.

Dina Ailsa

"I agree with the Drakkar on one thing. Amaranth should be destroyed. But I'm sure that isn't possible considering its nature.", Dina said catching hold of the thoughts she would like to share and turning to face the Spectrals, "If what you say is true, if you really were the counselors of my ancestors, I believe you will be the ones to know what to do once we find the Amaranth, if we find it. And I welcome any form of help you can give me. I will go on this quest for it is the duty written in my blood." for once Dina felt proud. Her back straight, her thoughts clear. She stood there covered in dirt, dressed in clothes of no great value but she left equal to the Drakkar, obviously powerful. Dina was raised never to give up, never let go of lives which were not lost already and to follow the path which her heart chose as right. She felt tears clouding her vision but she willed them back. Her mother would be proud of her.

Xenthriss

Xenthriss turned to Dina, suddenly not looking quite as threatening as it attempted to be funny. "Well... you could let me drain the power. I am an expert on magic... but then you run the risk of my ascension then and there." He said, obviously uncomfortable having to talk to other beings instead of just slaughtering them. "I will explain what I am talking about if they will not. I know we stand on the edge of a great void, and will not withhold this information from you." Sighing, it continued "If there are no living creatures left, who will I have to kill? If there are none of my acolytes left, who will be left to worship me and flow ever greater streams of power into my veins? Trust the insane, several hundred year-old fleshlord for once; the thought of being alone in an endless void of non-existence scares me. If something scares me, you'd better be scared as well.".

Well, he has a point... even if it is at the tip of his sword.

Laurolf Fangür

As the others spoke, Laurolf remained silent, deep in thought. Not about the Amaranth, as he was convinced they would find a way to handle it once the time came- He was more concerned about what came afterwards, if he agreed to this.. Quest, and if they managed to defeat Ilhirel. With the other Runemasters dead and the Dwarven King a corrupt puppet of the Sorceress, Laurolf had the opportunity to reunite the Dwarven people, and replace Ragnar Stenvakt VI. He now took a deep breath, "Aye, I'll be accepting this quest of yours, spirits. However I'll be doing so, with one condition." He now turned to the human lady, "The promise of Knalgan freedom, once we defeat the bloody Sorceress and do whatever, with this Amaranth ye' be talking about." Before the spirits could say anything, Laurolf turned his head towards them, "And not a word out of ye', spirits. For if what ye' be saying is true," His head turned back towards Dina, "It be her decision, and her decision alone.".

Xenthriss

Laughing, a horrible and thunderous thing, Xenthriss looked at the Dwarf with amusement on his maw. "Dwarf! I thought your race would rather fight for freedom than barter for it. I'd leave that to the elves, well... begging. It does prove you are somewhat intelligent, though. Perhaps you will fight your liberation war not just for your people, but our world." He said, almost romanticizing the whole situation. The Drakkar let out another rending chuckle before holding out a palm to the Dwarf. "Perhaps if you spill enough blood during this venture I will teach you my art, my flesh magic. I think about a thousand flagon's worth, right?". Pausing, the Drakkar looked at the rest of the group gathered in the cave. "Don't look at me like that, I need somebody to carry on the art.".

Dina Ailsa

And so it began, Dina had to make a decision regarding her future kingdom. Lucky enough she heard some rumors about Knalgan from the people she had helped.

"From what I've heard, Knalgan king is in alliance with Ilhirel. I cannot promise freedom when I know your leader is corrupt." she answered intently looking at that dwarf.

"Would you? If you were in my shoes?" she added.

Laurolf Fangür

The Dwarf ignored the Drakarr's words at first, and looked at the human like one would at an idiot. "Are ye' bloody stupid, lass? King Stenvakt would of course be brought down! He's a corrupt old fool, who fell to the lies of Ilhirel and deserves to be cut in half, for his treachery!" He glanced at the Drakarr then looked at the woman again. "As the last Runemaster, I've the power to overthrow Stenvakt's reign and ye' can be, bloody sure- That every Dwarf will fall in line behind me, once I return to Knalga. I be simply offering ye' a peaceful way out, once Ilhirel is dead, for I doubt ye' want to begin your rule over Asgard, by going to war with the Dwarves! I mean if ye' think about it, how would it look if the first queen o' Asgard, went to war against one of the valiant heroes, that aided her in bringing down Ilhirel, hm?"

Having allowed time for the Chosen to discuss, the specters spoke once more.

"We cannot know for certain, but it is unlikely that the Amaranth can even be destroyed. This Council is surprised that you would do so, given the chance. On the other hand, the Drakkar needs not be worried about 'using another god's power'." the second spirit said, quoting Xenthriss. "Even if you could somehow manipulate the power within Amaranth, it could not be turned into a weapon against the Sorceress in your hands. It only has the power to create."

"As for the matters the Dwarf brought up - whether the queen would enlist the aid of Dwarves as allies in return for their independence or try to keep them as part of the kingdom by force" said the first specter, "It is her choice. This Council will advise her adequately, depending on the situation. Know that we did not dictate the kings of Asgard what to do. It was their desire to conquer all the other kingdoms. We merely advised them how to best achieve those ends. Whatever desires the current queen will have, we shall advise her in those directions."

The third specter brought on the conclusion. "Let our first advice to the queen, and the Chosen, be this: Do not make your decisions hastily from this remote place. Wait until you have enough facts to make a decision you will hopefully not regret. As you proceed on this quest you will become aware of the true state this kingdom lies in, unlike anyone else."

Meric King

Meric, who had been quietly taking it all in, turned towards Dina Ailsa and spoke up, "As long as I get a chance at the bitch Ilhirel, I will follow," Meric bowed slightly, and turned back to the Council. "The gift is your remaining power? What will happen if I let you change me so? I also want to know, do you have any idea how we are going to get passed hundreds of thousands of Demons for a shot at one person? If we are going to kill Ilhirel, it will be with a plan,"

The third specter shortly addressed what concerned the elf.

"You do not have to accept our gift, but if you do, this power will manifest itself differently for each one of you. You will change yourselves, depending on your prior magical affinity and the things you've done that have shaped you during your life. The changes may be slight for some, and they may develop over time. As for getting through to Ilhirel - there will be a time to worry about that."

Eltheron Delioss

Eltheron was again silent as the others conversed. This was truly a strange collection of individuals, but the path seemed clear, for there seemed little other choice to Eltheron. They needed to trust these Spectres... for now. Ilhirel was the immediately threat to this world, not a shadowy council of immortals. He still held little regard for the Drakkar, and was unsure of the Dwarf. If nothing else, the Dwarf seemed an honest if blunt fellow, they may just get along. Eltheron turned towards the young Human female; "I too will stand with you, my family has served the Empire for generations, I'll not shame my father by not lending my aid." With his final words Eltheron gave a slight nod, with a slighter bow, then again stood straight, pulling his cloak around him. "Spectres. I will receive whatever boon you will offer." there sounded a near reluctance in his words, but what else could he do? With what they faced... any help would be appreciated.

Dina Ailsa

"Forgive me for not knowing your name or title just by looking at you. Also my deepest apologies for not knowing what you're capable of.", Dina said, her voice heavy with irony, "How about this? We defeat Ilhirel first and if you manage to overthrow the current king I'll make sure you have your freedom." it was an honest suggestion. Dina was ignoring the advice of the Council by doing this but she certainly didn't want another war right after defeating Ilhirel. If they succeed at that at all. With that said she turned to the shadow elf offering his help and then another. "It's an honor to have you." she smiled at them. There was something about her smile, like you were looking at the appearance of the first star in the night sky. "Well it would be nice to know your names, gentleman. I'm Dina Ailsa. Pleasure." and she bowed, though a queen shouldn't. Right now I'm just as much of a queen as a caterpillar is a butterfly.

Laurolf Fangür

The Dwarf smiled and nodded, "Aye! That be an agreement, I can be accepting and with that, "milady" know that you have me axe, in support of this campaing we be undertaking, to bring down the cursed Sorceress." He declared proudly, the promise of freedom for his entire people was enough to get Laurolf ready to swear himself to this quest, no matter how slim their chances of success were. "Laurolf Fangür, Runemaster of Goliath, General of the Armies of Knalga and Chief Military Advisor to the Rune Court of the Dwarven Kingdom." He introduced himself, with great pride and honor in his voice.

Meric King

Meric turns to face Dina Ailsa, "As I said, as long as I get to kill, or help kill Ilhirel, I shall follow you. If this answer does not convince you, I can swear it on the honor of the King tribe, but I would rather not have to, in fear of besmirching their honor with failure," He turned towards the Council, "I will accept any aid you choose to bestow upon me, and will be a loyal servent until the Sorceres Ilhirel is dead," He bows slightly toward the council, and turns to bow at Dina Ailsa. "I will follow you, but I will not kill a shadow elf, human, or dwarf under your orders, the only ones who die by my hand and your command are the demons and the Sorceres"

"This Council is glad to see such a display of determination." said the second specter. "We now give what power we have left to give."

When he finished speaking there was a commotion among the lesser flying spirits. The white wisps shifted, grouping together as if on some silent command when the first specter uttered the words: "Dina of Asgard." At that moment a group of a few dozen wisps began twisting into a beautiful vortex around her, tighter and tighter until they finally melded with her body and disappeared, leaving only a short-lasting white mist. While it dissipated, the specter said: "All your life you have saved the lives of others by healing their wounds with help from no one but nature alone. Now, nature herself will rise to lend you aid when you command it, and you will gain control over every living flora. Like a sapling, your power will start out small but eventually grow to be strong and tall. Use it wisely."

The same spirit continued on. "Runemaster Laurolf." Immediately, another group of white wisps started swirling around him until they joined his being, leaving a white mist behind. "Your love for your kingdom and its people and the desire to protect them burn true within you. This fire will never subside, but instead inspire courage in the hearts of allies and spark a flame to chase away the shadows of doubt. On the other hand, the hearts of your foes will be stricken with fear, and the runes you carve into weapons will make them ever so deadlier. Your power will grow as your inner strength and determination increase. Use it wisely."

"Eltheron of the Shadow Elves." said the specter as the wisps rushed to swirl around him and finally into him. Through the mist the specter spoke on. "Yours will be the domain of shadows. By becoming one with them and walking the Shadow Plane, you will see beings for what they really are. Things hidden will be revealed to you, yet you will be seen by none. Tied to the plane of shadows, your power comes with a cost. As you spend more and more time melded with shadows your eyes will be able to pierce stronger illusions, darker secrets. Yet the more time you spend with shadows, the more you will become part of them. Use it wisely."

Yet another group of spirits flew forth to twist around the other Shadow Elf. "Meric of the King." the specter addressed him as the wisps disappeared and left behind nothing but a white mist. "Plucked from your home and cast into the fray of battle, you have succeeded in what most would consider impossible. You not only survived against impossible odds, but you also took the fight to the enemy. You will become the greatest weapon master of your kind. Your skill will become unparalleled over time, and you will be able to use any kind of weapon with equal ease and grace. May your power decimate the ranks of your foes and leave you wishing for a true challenge. Use it wisely."

Finally, the specter spoke to the human male. "Henvei, son of Relkor." Wisps entangled him as well for several moments and then faded, leaving a white mist. "Yours is one of the most interesting minds this Council has ever encountered since the dawn of time. Though your father was great, our unique gift will ensure that you will become greater. It will take time and effort, but your control of your current abilities will improve, and so will your understanding of your father's Codex. Eventually you will unlock its full potential, and combining that power with yourself, you will achieve ultimate potential."

Then it came down to the last Chosen, the Drakkar. The specter seemed to hesitate, but at length he spoke. The last group of wisps, a few dozen of them, still hovered around but made no attempt to approach. "Xenthriss." he said simply, though everyone gathered could tell that he'd probably enjoy a title such as the Lord of Flesh. "You stand out in this circle of Chosen, yet you align your purpose with it's. It is unlikely that we could bestow upon you a gift to your liking, even had you not refused in the first place. Still, you are here for a reason. You are not without power as you are, and that power is likely to increase on its own. Is this your final decision?"

Xenthriss

A deep grumble resonating from the Drakkar's chest, Xenthriss responded "I am a rising deity, and the last practitioner of a dead race's power. The only boon I would normally accept from a wraith is that of it's silence, however... I am too infamous to travel undisguised. All I ask is a cowl that will hide my visage.". With a look that could only be described as 'toothy', the Flesh Magus twirled his massive sword about before slamming it into the rock below him. "Hide my visage from all but those who are to be brothers in arms, of course. Let us leave this foul place, preferably to someplace sunny. I am looking pale.".

Dina Ailsa

"Pity because there sure are shadow elfs, humans or dwarfs that had fallen pray to Ilhirel and are now her puppets.", Dina said and with a turn toward the Spectrals opened her arms wide, "I'm all yours." she smiled. Dina trusted their honor will be enough to make them hold on to their word, making them her comrades. The Spectrals spoke, Dina was surrounded and them merged with wisps that were flying around the place before. Her power, the Spectral said she would be able to control flora. She felt hot and then as if showered by icy water. She shivered slightly and was suddenly very tired.

Eltheron Delioss

As the mist faded, Eltheron could feel the power just granted burning a place inside him; for it was now a part of him. He focused for a minute, transitioning himself into this new shadow realm, it was strange and dark, immediately a pulled himself back into reality. "Woah..." Eltheron muttered under his breath. Eltheron looked up to the Spectral Council and said, "Thank you for this gift, I will use it wisely." then gave them a greatful nod.

Eltheron then turned again to Dina, "Forgive me for not introducing myself sooner, I am Eltheron Delioss, son of Arturus, son of Celdilon, son of Xavius...." Eltheron's voice trailed off for a moment, "I'll stop there, the tradition tends to carry on. But my bloodline has served Asgard for many generations as Assassins." Eltheron gave a slight laugh, and an over exaggerated bow, "At your service ma'am"

Laurolf Fangür

Laurolf smiled, and looked at Meric. "I say, master elf, if we be facing corrupted elves, will ye' be opposed if I split them open, hm? I'm not proud of it, but when Knalga fell, I'd no choice but to spill the blood of me brethren.. But, I be takin' solace in the fact- That their blood was tainted, with Ilhirel's evil and they were beyond savin'. Ye' should be prepared to do as such, also, for no doubt we'll be seein' fallen Elfkind and I be doubtin' they'll surrender.. Even if ye' ask nicely."

When the Spirits granted him his power, Laurolf bowed his head to them, "I'm most honored, to be acceptin' this gift of yers, specters."

Meric King

Meric cracked his neck when he felt the power take hold, and then faced the Dwarf. "Let me clarify, they who are corrupted, wheather they be Dwarf, Human, Shadow Elf, or any other of the races, are vermin to my eyes. I will not kill a non corrupted being. I have sworn to never give anything to the Demons, and I will only kill non corrupted out of self defense or the defense of a friend." Meric turned towards the Council, and bowed lowly, "I am in your debt, Council of Immortals, this will let me kill Demons, and that is the most precious thing in the world to me,"

Dina Ailsa

Dina's eyes were fluttering half-shot. She was so tired. I haven't had a good night sleep since mom... I'm sure the curiosity about this new power can wait. How do I wield it anyway? I'm guessing I'll just have to try it out to find out. "Time will tell exactly how much I owe you for this gift.", she turned to her comrades, "Please, when you address me do so with Dina. There's still a long way between me and the throne."

Henvei Relkor vech Daltzen

The gifts, distributed. The guests, socializing. The guardian spirits, satisfied.

Henvei, unsettled.

The rest of the party fell to small talk. Henvei's voice, which up until that point, had not at all been lacking for volume or content, was not amongst the revival of pleasantries. The rest of the guests, it seemed, were more than happy with their gifts, or else, satisfied with what that which had gifted them prior; the subject matter of the new discussion was trivial in matter, and the business had been conducted. But what of the business? Henvei shivered slightly. This was not going as it should have been. The room receded, grew dark, slowly faded away to nothing. No, no, not at all, this was not at all how things should be going. What kind of gift was this? No, no, take it away.

They spoke of the Codex.

Henvei felt a surge of confidence shooting through his veins. Things like these! Well, this was what business was all about, after all! To have such a plan, perfectly planned by no other than the greatest scholar for this purpose, come to full blossom already! Why, things were going even better than expected. To have promises of such power, laid before his feet, as nothing less than an offering? Ahaha! Truly this was the mark of achievement, and by a gentleman, nothing less! A glance behind himself confirmed that the rest of the party was quite busy with their talk: Henvei turned to wink at the Council itself, "I thank you, gentlemen. Your gift is... most appreciated." With his quiet communication complete, Henvei returned to the party.

"My friends, I think we can all agree that our hosts have been most gracious..." rang his voice, somehow managing to cut through all other sounds. The mark of a gentleman used to public speaking, no doubt, and Henvei launched into yet another one of his grand tirades, regardless of who was listening.

Henvei, content.

The underground place was alot darker without the spirit wisps and their white light. The company could not see the edges of the cavern at all now. Only darkness all around their little rock in a sea of calm, dark waters, the only illumination coming from the low ring of blue fire that still burned along the edges of it. Well, the specters did seem to be giving off some kind of pale blue light, but it was hardly noticeable at this distance, perhaps some thirty meters. The voice of the Spectral Council echoed again when the first spirit spoke in his deep, slow voice once more.

"Always keep in mind your objectives. You must find the Amaranth and raise an army to oppose the Sorceress at the same time. If you fail either of these tasks, this world will be doomed. The Amaranth is your first priority, and we will set you off with that in mind."

The third spirit took over from there. Their excellent coordination suggested they either knew each others minds and thoughts perfectly, or that they were in fact one being somehow. "We do not know where it is, but we know of a place that could possibly provide some insight. In the elven province of Eldshaw, some miles south along the coastline from Reindir, there is a small town called Aboran. It is the home of the Great Library." That town with its library was known to all Shadow Elves and other people beyond their homeland, though not all. Most however, at least heard of it. Many made their way there to learn, as it was the greatest known well of knowledge in Asgard. "There is a secret section in the library," the spirit said, "Long forgotten in its underground hiding place. There are books and records there dating back to the ancient times long preceding Asgard itself. As far as this Council is aware, the existence of this vault is known only by the elven leaders and the human line of kings - though it is true there may be more."

"We cannot claim for certain," said the second specter, "That the vault will hold information regarding the Amaranth at all, let alone its location. It is probable that you will at least find some lead to follow. Go to Aboran. Visit the Great Library. Once there, we will reveal to you how to enter the secret section. We will speak to the young queen. She will hear us and relay our message."

The first spirit brought upon the conclusion. "You know all that you need to know. You have all that you need to have. Trust time to reveal all other things. If you have no further questions, this meeting is adjourned."

Xenthriss

"Gyaaagh! So we go to Aboran, raid the place, and then torch the information so the Sorceress doesn't get at it? Sounds good to me, but I was done with this meeting an hour ago." Xenthriss replied, ripping his sword back out of the floor and hefting it over his shoulder. "Now come on! Let's roll some heads already! I've got people to kill, villages to raze... before I start getting bored with the game and have to go execute this apprentice mage myself.".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back