• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Four: High Stakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing her best to keep watch on the remaining Regult Battle Pods, Mario's words echo in her mind. Something is wrong with the sky? What the hell is he talking about? Sparing a look, she tries to figure out what has the tanker so spooked.
Currently in Battloid mode

Toph's/Muppet's Ajax munitions:
2 / 15 Mini Fragmentation 5d6 MDC
0 / 15 Plasma/Heat 1d6x10 MDC
and 24 / 30 HEAP 1d4x10 MDC

Muppet's Ajax (170 / 400 M.D.C.)

Number of Attacks: 7
Strike: +12
Parry: +13
Dodge: +14/+18 to Auto Dodge While Flying
Roll: +7
Initiative: +4
Action Points: 3
Perception: +5

(Game Master note: Hold on to your hats, Gang! This post moves fast and has a lot going on! Enjoy! =)

"O.K. Wild Cards, we're at the finish line! Mario! Drop 'Little Boy' already so we can get outta here!"

Mario looks out, feeling that something was wrong, but not knowing what. "Hold on, LT! Check my eyes, but I think something is wrong with the sky!"

Over the polyphonic nexus, Mario could feel the sensation of Shirley's "What? Mario, what could be wrong with the-- Oh my God..."

From an outside observer's point of view, it was fully conceivable and understandable that Mario the A.T.A.C. tanker did not know what he was looking at. That strange waviness through the sky outside the ship only served to confuse him. Not so for anyone who had qualified as a T.A.S.C. fighter pilot, regardless of their ship, station, or experience. Immediately, Elinor, Toph, and Shirley recognized the translucent disturbance in the air - it was thruster exhaust. Also known as jet wash!

See that disturbance at the rear of the cockpit lifting up by the tail? At around the 1:07 mark, as the Sabre is about to take off down the runway, this turbulence becomes a lot larger. That's what Mario spotted on a larger level, at night against a moonlit Florida sky, except it is a lot larger than anything a single mech or aircraft could put out. Good spotting, Mario!

Over the squadron channel, Shirley calls out, "Oh, for crying out loud! What's doing that?"

Just then, one of the Battle Pods faced your team squarely. "Foolish Micronians!" he shouted in English. "You may have luckily detected our ambush, but you will not survive our onslaught! For Lord Dalzak and the Maelstrom!!"

Right then, the four active Battle Pods scattered for cover... but if they were looking for cover from the Wild Cards, you noticed they were choosing some odd spots!

"Ambush?" Shirley's Red Baroness stopped moving toward the doors. She thought these Zeki-Zentraedi grunts were not much different than Lord Dolza's - they loved to brag and boast to a fault!

The jet wash outside poured downward in huge translucent plumes, large enough to block two of the four exits out of the hangar bay. Then another joined it and all four exits became blocked. Two massive craft hovering just outside hovered downward and into your view. Their bay doors were already open. Inside each spacecraft were no less than twelve Zeki-Zentraedi foot soldiers, half of them lying prone, half of them using the hull as cover, and every one of them armed with rifles, cannons, and missile launchers aimed at you!

The gigantic, imposing vessels were the stuff of human legends about aliens. The Wild Cards recognized them as Zentraedi Reentry Pods, vehicles designed for the sole purpose of depositing troops onto battlefields or getting them back to safety. Now two of them blocked your only way to freedom.
reentry_pod.jpg
(Image credit:The Unofficial ROBOTECH: Reference Guide)

The strategy made itself clear; these vessels were waiting for you to fly outside, into the open where there was no cover, where these two-dozen readied soldiers would blow each of your veritechs clean out of the sky. Only Mario's luck of the draw and his warning had prevented it.

Without further warning, the soldiers opened fire at you with everything they had.

"Take hard cover!" Shirley yelled.

Her warning came not a moment too soon. As you grabbed whatever cover you could, particle beams, plasma bursts, missiles, and everything you could imagine that could come out of a Zentraedi cannon was being shot at you. Nor did the soldiers in the Reentry Pods seem to give a single damn about the Gnerl aerospace fighter. All around you, the bay shook with violence. Explosions roared. Shrapnel flew. Everything was getting hit and nowhere was safe.

In short, all Hell was breaking loose!

The four Battle Pods followed the final orders of their fallen Beastmaster and fired on the Super Tomahawk. Their particle beam cannons blasted away in pairs. In a stunning display of alacrity, the strangely-outfitted destroid fired thrusters from its front. This propelled the entire machine backward in a dodge that would have made a veritech proud. The Battle Pods succeeded in ruining the already battered walls around the doorway.

Then the Super Tomahawk did the wise thing and jetted back inside the corridor to the only cover Spaceman Sam, MechaKitten, and Iris could count on. Unfortunately, from there, return fire was next to impossible.

From behind one of the few remaining stout pillars left in the bay, Shirley transformed the Red Baroness into battloid and screamed under the hellacious thunder of fire. In contrast, Cera was wide-eyed from inside Elinor's cockpit.

"If we cannot think of something very quickly, we will be vaporized!"

Shirley snarled. "Yeah? Well I have had one hell of a day and I did not come all this way to have my Wild Cards vaporized!"

Suddenly, a familiar voice cut in over the squadron channel. Male, calming, and full of resolve.

"Lieutenant..." he corrected. "The Wild Cards don't belong to you..."

"Wha?!"

"... they belong to me."

I really liked this "shot" of A.T.A.C. Colonel Hiram Sharp when Sherwood posted it in Good Times. Enough to repost it for this scene.
f34dda31a74c8b056321a3d9c14bb0c7.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest)

At the Colonel's request... =)
"Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf

"Ladies, gentlemen, you are free to fire. Give me some good shots."

He held the microphone key long enough for you to hear the variety of replies from soldiers sounding off in the radio's background. "Sendin' 'em downrange, sir." "Goin' hot, Colonel!" "Gettin' some for Sgt. Booty, sir." "Making it happen, sir!"

Down on the ground just a few thousand feet from where you were, Mario heard an unbelievable and heartwarming sound he had not heard since his days training - a Veritech Hover Tank firing line letting go!

In the far, far distance where the Wild Cards could not see nor hear, some other giants besides the Zeki-Zentraedi let go with their own cannons, except these giants were indigenous to Earth. Explosion after startling explosion sounded. Flames lit the night. Huge 125mm rounds, many of them Silver Bullets, fired high into the sky and sailed toward the drifting Zeki-Zentraedi Assault Scout, or rather, the two Reentry Pods right outside your door.

Cut to the 1:54 mark if you'd like to hear something really good (or watch the video for a little history). =)

"Boy," the colonel remarked amused to you, "sure was mighty polite of the Zeeks to keep that hangar bay illuminated when they finally opened those doors. If you could only see how wonderfully back-lit they are, Wild Cards; you hardly need binoculars to make them out."

As he spoke, round after round suddenly slammed into the Reentry Pods. Surprised Zeki-Zentraedi soldiers inside ceased fire and grabbed ahold of whatever they could. The pods buckled and shuddered. Suddenly, there was a tremendous explosion as one of the pods went up. The pod slammed into the top of the outside of the bay. Then, no longer able to maintain altitude, it went down with all hands aboard.

The second Reentry Pod was just beginning to attempt evasive maneuvers when it too lit up the night in a surge of hammering shockwaves and burning debris. This pod was penetrated several times where the rounds struck the soldiers or additional machinery within.

"Wooooo!" Cera could not help but raise her fist in victory and praise. "Whomever is saving us is very accurate! Not one of their rounds has entered the bay!"

And that was certainly a good thing.

By the time the Wild Cards noticed the complete destruction of the Reentry Pods, they also noticed the absence of the four Battle Pods. They were running away deeper into the ship whence they and the Beastmaster had come, all but their stunned cohort who still lay senseless inside his battle pod. He did not stir.

"Cygnus Team. Status?"

"Mack here, sir." Shirley replied. The joy and relief in her voice was at an all-time high. Shirley saluted her viewscreen. There, on her dashboard, and yours was Colonel Sharp's helmeted face. His kind eyes and otherwise serious demeanor hardly let on that he was relieved to see you all alive too. "We're still in one piece, sir!"

"God is with us. Hope you don't mind an old man bringing along his tankers. 'Sharp's Shooters' wouldn't let me come out here alone to help you and avenge Sgt. Booty. Something about me stealing all the glory, they said. Lieutenant, is your tanker in the VHT The General's boys planted?"

"Yes, sir!"

"And you found the bombs?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Let me talk to your tanker."

That was Mario's cue to answer. What does he say?

Mario almost tries to think his message to the Colonel, but sheepishly remembers that he is not a part of the Nexus. "Sir, Corporal Zuko reporting in. Please allow me to add my voice to that of the rest of the Wild Cards as we all say, 'thank you'. Sir, one of the devices has been safely placed inside the ship, but the second one is still inside my rig. Time to detonation is," he glances over at the ticking timer and fills in the correct time. "What are your orders, sir?"

(17:19 the clock read.)

"You can thank me in person later, son," Colonel Sharp replied. "For now, if you didn't receive The General's orders, then follow mine. I want you to open the rifle compartment up. Inside, instead of a rifle, you'll find a pair of adapters. 105mm load adapters designed by Eglin A.S.C. to be precise. Put simply, the adapters are designed for you can fire the "Fat Man" and "Little Boy" using your VHT's main gun."

As his ears continued to ring from all of the explosions and violence that had just occurred, Mario's eyes pulled toward the fleeing battle pods heading back down toward the huge door the Wild Cards had nearly been ambushed at. They opened the door and Mario found that the corridor beyond reached deeper into the ship.

"You'll find a set of instructions with each adapter. The bombs are paired. You can set them off simultaneously. You can fire them individually, or, you can fire one and they will both detonate together if you're in a position to do it that way.

"Wild Cards, be advised. My tankers are with me out here, but I've got no way to come up and get you. For reasons only the Zeeks know, that ship you're on has been headed straight for the Gulf of Mexico ever since it lifted off. Do you have any idea why?"

Shirley replied. "No, sir!"

"How about you, miss?"

Cera gulped. The male had addressed her directly. Confused, she just shook her head.

"Well, if any of you know something speak up. Do you have an escape plan?"

While you spoke, the Super Tomahawk peered out into the burning, blasted, wreckage-strewn hangar bay. Spaceman Sam seemed to be up to something.

With the threat of the Regults now gone, Mario immediately shifts his mecha to its tank mode and unstraps to get access to the bomb in the other seat. Putting his armorer's hat on, he breaks open the access panel for the ammo bay to look for one of the empty shells to fit the nuke into. As he works, he says, "Ma'am? That open corridor to our side looks like it goes deep into the heart of the ship! That should be a good placement for the second device to maximize damage."

"Just wondering, how are we planning on getting me down? Do I abandon this tank and have someone carry me down? I think that the ocean is going to be too deep for my damaged armor to handle the pressure."

Mario peered inside the personal pilot's compartment. Instead of finding an energy rifle, survival knife, spare beer, and the other typical goodies tankers used it for, he found a pair of shiny, new-looking 105mm casings that looked like they came out of a sci-fi film. This was high-tech! But there was a mechanical and an electrical element to solve.

Mario's education and experience combined quickly and very soon, largely thanks to the design, he hardly needed the instructions for the mechanical stage. He understood quickly how the "Little Boy" was to securely fit into the 105mm round adapter. The young Italian-American made it happen in record time. The nuclear bomb was now one big 105mm round. All he had to do from here was disengage his VHTs autoloader and manually insert the round. Child's play for an A.T.A.C. tanker!

But then came the tricky electronic segment. With the cockpit photo of the dog still staring at him lovingly, Mario realized his options - he would have to be careful and follow the instructions to the letter unless he wanted someone else in his squadron to do this work. It also depended upon what Mario wanted to do.

Did he want to go back and fetch "Fat Man" and fire both? Did he want to fire one and have the second detonate simultaneously? Or something else?

(EDIT: Reworded for accuracy and to satisfy the "nitpickiness" I reserve for my own writing. =) )

Last edited:
"Mario, I have space in the back of my Ajax for you; I personally feel that the tank is going to be a hindrance to us and can be replaced. Fire the one shell down the hall, then get into my mecha and we can all fly out of here."

Mario calls out, "The bomb is loaded and my main gun is good to go. I just need to hear the order. Do you want me to fire this bad boy off? You ladies can then give me a lift down to the surface and away from this tin can."
APFSDS x 30/24 rounds (Range: 4 miles. 3D6x10 M.D.)
HEAT x 6/6 rounds (Range: 2.2 miles. 2D6x10 M.D.)
MPAT x 6/5 rounds (Range: 2.2 miles. 2D6x10 M.D. to a 50 foot radius)
Plasma x 6/6 rounds (Range: 1.5 miles. 2D8x10 M.D. to a 25 foot radius and an additional 4D8 M.D. per minute for 1D6+1 minutes

Main Body: 475 / 250
Left Shield: 500 / 290
Right Shield: 500 / 230

Currently in Tank mode

In the Hover Tank
Number of Attacks: 8
Strike: +10 / +12 with the EU-11
Parry: +16
Dodge: +15 / +17 in Transport Mode from Combat Driving
Roll With Punch: +6
Disarm: +3
Pull Punch: +4
Initiative: +3
Action Points: 2 (2)

Hearing that Mario is ready to fire, Toph clicks over on the radio and calls out to Colonel Sharp, "Sir, this is Lt. Kirin. We have one of the devices hidden in a chamber in the ship, and the second one is ready to be fired off by Corporal Zuko. Are we clear to fire, or do we need to change the timer on the nukes?"

Perception: +5

Mario uses the radio to make sure everyone can hear him. "If we have to change the timer on the nuke we hid, I can't do that remotely. I just don't have the skills in NBC Warfare to work on the bomb. Either someone needs to walk me through the process, we go get the other warhead and use the shell that I have and fire it, or we can let the timer run down and it goes off in about fifteen minutes. Any thoughts? Every second we wait gives these Zentraedi lots of time to screw us all over."

His fingers are all twitchy, ready to fire the one shell that is already set and loaded.
Plasma x 6/6 rounds (Range: 1.5 miles. 2D8x10 M.D. to a 25 foot radius and an additional 4D8 M.D. per minute for 1D6+1 minutes

Currently in Tank mode

In the Hover Tank

Last edited:
Toph says, "I've been trained in NBC Warfare, and can try to aid you in getting the bombs' timer reset. I wonder, what would the effect be on the ship if we let the bombs go off separately? We want to bring this ship down before it can cause any more damage to the planet and kill untold millions of people."

As the Wild Cards talked out their plan, sudden shockwaves shook the hangar - from the outside! Loud cannonfire from the Zeki-Zentraedi ship blasted relentlessly down upon the earth. Bright blue particle beams created pillars of destruction towards targets none of you could see.

The squadron channel came alive. Below you, Colonel Sharp and Sharp's Shooters had their hands full. The colonel kept you in on his traffic as he commanded his A.T.A.C. squad and destroids.

"Bug out, tankers, and meet up at the rendezvous. We're not going to hurt that big beast with what we're packing. Ghost Riders, drop smoke between us and the ship."

"*hic* Yyyooooou got it, mister capta-- majo-- er, colonel!" Inside his messy cockpit, the overweight Hairball saluted Colonel Sharp with one pudgy hand while pulling the trigger on his stick. "Weeeee've gotcha covered, don' we guys? *burp*"

Colonel Sharp shook his head and grinned. Some things never changed.

"Wild Cards," he commanded. "You've got about two minutes before they take their eyes off of us and refocus on you. Detonate the bombs in whatever method you find most effective, then get clear of the enemy ship."

You heard the sound of his own Veritech Hover Tank's engines revving fast as he dodged explosions. Despite the danger, Colonel Sharp's cool tone did not change in the slightest. "If you have to leave one of your machines, see it destroyed. They are after our technology. Leave nothing for the Zeeks. That's an order. Do you copy?"

"Cygnus Leader copies," Mack replied. "Thanks for the save and the distraction, sir!

"O.K., team! Whatever you're doing, do it - we've got two minutes!"

While this occured, the Super Tomahawk thrusted itself over to the edge of the ship. It seemed to look over the edge and down to the world far below.

Just then, Cera spoke up enthusiastically over the polyphonic nexus. "I understand now! Leader Mack! The Zeki are taking us over the water to prevent the key we have freed - the Super Tomahawk - from escaping!" The Ura-Meltrandi pointed at the destroid that had not fired a single shot. "They know if it escapes, their chances at taking the Broadsword go with it! Do you not agree?"

Mack replied, tense and confused. "Cera, I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about! 'Key'? 'Broadsword'? And what's this 'Maelstrom' thing? Isn't that the name of this blasted ship we're on?"

"N-- No!" Cera stammered. "Zentraedi do not name their ships! That is a human trait! You mean to state you know nothing of the very war we are so thickly immersed in?"

"Oh brother!" The Californian surfer gritted and face-palmed for the upteenth time. This entire day had been nuts...

Shit! If it's not one thing, it's another! Over the nexus, Mario sends the thought, "Everyone, I don't think we have the time to go get the second weapon. One of you will have to help me remote detonate the warhead. If we hustle, there is just enough time!"

Currently in Tank mode

In the Hover Tank

Last edited:
"Copy that, corporal. On my way!" With that, Toph drops her Ajax down to one knee and pops the cockpit to jump out. Hauling ass, she runs over to the waiting tank and climbs up into the open seat. "Alright, bring up the display and lets get to work!"

With great alacrity, Toph maneuvered her Ajax alongside Mario's VHT and hopped inside.

Then Toph received a surprise.

The apparatus that had turned "Little Boy" from bomb into 105mm cannon round was genius in its simplicity, but now that she had her own eyes upon the device and its internal controls, she realized immediately that the information she had guessed at before was a bit off, but in which direction (greater in explosive radius or lesser), she could not be immediately certain.

Looking at the set-up and ordnance, Toph also came to realize that the bombs were electronically arranged to "talk" with each other. However, Mario had half of the mystery and Toph the other.

Mario's understanding of weaponry gave him the ability to tell the bomb what to do. If he started just pressing buttons without guidance, he could set the bomb off inside his very tank. He had no idea what numbers and commands to set to do that.

Toph's understanding of N.B.C. warfare gave her the ability to precisely know the precise input needed. If Toph started pressing buttons with her knowledge, it was very likely that she wouldn't be able to get the damned bomb to do what she wanted. If that happened, she would be stuck with a very dangerous paperweight.

They both realized that an Electrical Engineer could very readily do both. But... the two of them putting their heads together could do just as well if they did not dally.

Perhaps it was Mario's turn to receive a surprise...

Toph hopped into his cockpit with the information calculated before she had even touched the hull of his tank. There, inside slightly cramped space where Toph immediately noticed signs of the tank's former pilot, including a photo of a very pretty German Shepherd near the HUD, Toph got to work.

With the ease of someone who had solved a puzzle seemingly before she saw it, Toph gave Mario the precise commands for "Little Boy" to make wireless contact with "Fat Man." In moments, Fat Man responded. The bomb had not been electronically tampered with and was ready for command. These too Toph supplied and Mario entered.

Fat Man responded again, this time with a request for order confirmation. Mario had no clue how to provide this. But Toph did. As she spoke, Mario carefully pressed the buttons on Little Boy.

At about that time, Toph's mind made sense of both bomb's abilities. She had the nuclear yield (overall damage potential) spot-on. It was the blast that she had gotten wrong. The blast radius wasn't 200 to 700 yards...

...it was somewhere between 750 to 1,500 yards each - enough to completely destroy the ship and everything in it!

If the first bomb went off and the second did not, it would fall to Earth and detonate 15 minutes later on the ground, not in mid-air. Whatever was below would be vaporized to become a radioactive wasteland for about the next 50 years. Worse still, the Wild Cards were still uncertain of their location. For all they knew, Eglin ASC or some town was directly below them...

Toph came to this conclusion alone. Mario had no way of knowing any of this any better than Elinor or Shirley in their veritechs.

The commands were sent. Fat Man responded with a few comforting beeps. Little Boy complied without issue and was swiftly returned to the Veritech Hover Tank's main gun. There, Mario slammed the loader door shut and locked it in place.

The bombs were ready to go.

Shirley came over the Nexus. "What's your status? You two had better not be makin' out in there!" she tried to joke.

Toph could feel her mouth go dry. "I miscalucalted on the explosive radius. It will be upwards of 1,000 to 1,500 feet each. We were able to set the bombs to go off in unison, and it will be more than enough to take out this entire ship in one blast! Corporal Zuko is set to fire, but it will give us very little time to get clear. I strongly suggest we have Mario shoot, then one of the Valks grab him and we all fly the hell out of here as fast as we can. You'll be able to fly faster than I can in Guardian than I can in Battloid with Mario in my hands. That will easily take out the tank and keep it from being used against us. If the two of you try to fly out of here with the tank in hand, I don't think the three of you will be able to get out of the blast radius in time."

With that done, Toph runs back to her Ajax and buttons up once more.

Mario gulps. That's one hell of a bomb. Good thing I didn't shoot earlier! He calls out on the nexus, "Lieutenants, I am set to fire, and I heartily endorse the idea of getting out of here ASAP. I can also set the Spartas to self-destruct as a extra bit of insurance. I'll happily take a ride down with one of you ladies. Are we set? I want to get the hell out of here and back on the ground where all good tankers belong."

Currently in Tank mode

In the Hover Tank

The rest of the team, from their words at least, seemed to have the thing with the bombs under control, so Elinor let them work without joggling elbows -- not the wisest thing to do when dealing with nukes, she figured. Instead she turned her attention to the person sharing her cockpit, deciding a few explanations were in order. "Cera," she "said" privately, "that voice over the radio is Colonel Sharp." Quickly but efficiently, Elinor explained the general hierarchy of the base's officers (including lowly lieutenants such as herself, Mack, and Toph) and Sharp's place in it (i.e., the top minus one). "So he's our boss," she concluded. "Don't mind that he's a male, he's a damn good one to us."

Over the nexus, she added, once Toph and Mario seemed to be done, "Self-destruct sounds good to me. Can't cause too much damage to this ship for my taste! Mack, I volunteer to carry Mario. Um, and you might wanna let the colonel know we've got Sam and Iris along in case his people get a li'l too enthusiastic."

Mario calls out on the radio, "I am setting the self destruct for thirty seconds. Once I fire the nuke, I'll activate the timer and bail out of here." Just before doing anything else, the tanker reaches over and snags the picture of the dog off of the dashboard and he slips it into his belt pouch. "Ok, it's time to go. Counting down! Three! Two! One! Fire in the hole!" With that, he pulls the trigger and slaps the self destruct timer. "Let's get the hell out of here!"

Currently in Tank mode

In the Hover Tank

Toph silently reaches up and tightens down the straps holding her in her seat. This is going to be one hell of a bang. Get ready for it! With her hands gripping the controls tightly, she waits for Elinor to pick up Mario before making any move for the open hatch; she is not going to leave any member of the team behind.

"Iris, once we make contact with our people, I want you to make sure you remain hidden and do not let anyone detect you. Even once we have had a chance to fully brief in our Colonel and the Professor, there are members of our command staff that will lock you up in order to make themselves feel 'safe' from the threat they would see in you. We have friends that will work to keep you safe and away from the examination table, but until you hear from us which ones you can trust, be hyper vigilant. Am I clear?"

The Zeki-Zentraedi cannons blasted loudly down upon Colonel Sharp's fleeing A.T.A.C. tanks. Against such force, the tankers knew they had no chance. But they knew that before they had come. They had done what they had come for and were escaping under the cover of the receding night and great walls of smoke provided by the Ghost Riders.

"Cera," she "said" privately, "that voice over the radio is Colonel Sharp." Quickly but efficiently, Elinor explained the general hierarchy of the base's officers (including lowly lieutenants such as herself, Mack, and Toph) and Sharp's place in it (i.e., the top minus one). "So he's our boss," she concluded. "Don't mind that he's a male, he's a damn good one to us."

From the Valkyrie's internal camera, Elinor saw Cera shift uncomfortably. "Perhaps, but I cannot help but feel remorseful that all of you have not one, but two males to obey at all times... Still, dentalla, let us be away and discuss this another time!"

Over the nexus, she added, once Toph and Mario seemed to be done, "Self-destruct sounds good to me. Can't cause too much damage to this ship for my taste! Mack, I volunteer to carry Mario. Um, and you might wanna let the colonel know we've got Sam and Iris along in case his people get a li'l too enthusiastic."

Mack's GU-11 followed her gaze as she tried to keep her eyes on the portals nearest to the Wild Cards. Her tone sounded a touch doubtful. "He knows about Iris. Iris and the colonel met via radio already back in Milton, remember? He's been monitoring our squad channel all along, when the doors weren't blocking . Still, a reminder sure wouldn't hurt, and I don't think he knows about Sam or that funky new toy he's got."

Just in case anyone forgot. Chapter 2, Page 8, Post #240, way back in August of 2017, Colonel Sharp and Iris "met" right after the Wild Cards first discovered them and Neqel Amherst.

"Iris, once we make contact with our people, I want you to make sure you remain hidden and do not let anyone detect you. Even once we have had a chance to fully brief in our Colonel and the Professor, there are members of our command staff that will lock you up in order to make themselves feel 'safe' from the threat they would see in you. We have friends that will work to keep you safe and away from the examination table, but until you hear from us which ones you can trust, be hyper vigilant. Am I clear?"

With upraised antennae, the gigantic insectoid Hunter Killer was abuzz with alien thoughts and emotions. Toph could especially feel Iris's pride and confidence. Consensus accomplished! Query: Does Toph Kirin recall when she first met us? We Scrath have long been the shadows your people do not think to look for. Your consideration for us is appreciated, especially when your own creche is in such danger! Please be careful!

Mack operated her radio controls without having to look at them. "I'm swapping to Eglin's main frequency."

Moments later, Mack came back on the squad channel with fantastic urgency! "Whoa!"

"Ok, it's time to go. Counting down! Three! Two! One! Fire in the hole!" With that, he pulls the trigger and slaps the self destruct timer. "Let's get the hell out of here!"

"Hold your fire, Mario!"

Mack sounded embarrassed and annoyed. She spoke quickly and carefully. "Colonel Sharp wants us to take the tank with us if we can. I think we can!"

"So do exactly as I say, dudes! Mario, when you fire, transform your veritech into Battloid mode, hold its arms out wide, and jump out that bay door!" Mack thrust her GU-11 toward the portal she meant. "Leanne, you stay on his right and grab him on his way out. Once you're both out, I'll take his left and hope to God those big ship guns don't blow us to pieces! Muppet, Sam, you two just plain ol' get the hell outta here!

Then the thought struck her. She shared it. "Which reminds me... just how in blazes is Sam supposed to get outta here?"

One look told a tale. The Super Tomahawk was no longer looking over the edge of the open bay door. Now it had its thruster-laden back facing the opening. The thrusters were lit and the Super Tomahawk, piloted by one silent "Spaceman Sam" along with a big-eyed, ecstatic MechaKitten, were in it. Step by step, the Super Tomahawk seemed like it was about to jump out of the hatch, back-first.

Last edited:
Mario was just about to fire when Mack yells out to hold. He listens to the instructions with a somewhat dubious expression on his face. With a quiet sigh, he sends, "Orders understood, ma'am. Standby." He makes sure that the self destruct is in safe mode; he didn't want any accidents. "Ok, let's try this again. Firing in three, two, one! Fire in the hole!" He then pulls the trigger, and even before the recoil could subside, Mario was already shifting into his battloid mode and was sprinting towards the open door to freedom. As he jumps or into the open air, all he can do is pray that the ladies manage to catch him before he plants himself deep into the earth.

Currently in battloid mode

In the Hover Tank

Once Mario makes his leap out into the open sky, Toph quickly follows, launching herself out and transforming her Ajax into jet mode. As she burns away from the Zentraedi ship, her eyes first sweep the sky, then go to her radar as she searches for any sign of hostile contacts. Where are we now? Are we over water yet? I would hate to see the rubble of this ship wipe out a civilian population.
Currently in jet mode

Last edited:
Mack's GU-11 followed her gaze as she tried to keep her eyes on the portals nearest to the Wild Cards. Her tone sounded a touch doubtful. "He knows about Iris. Iris and the colonel met via radio already back in Milton, remember? He's been monitoring our squad channel all along, when the doors weren't blocking . Still, a reminder sure wouldn't hurt, and I don't think he knows about Sam or that funky new toy he's got."
"Yeah," Elinor replied, "but he may not know she's comin' with. It don't hurt to be sure, anyhow."

"So do exactly as I say, dudes! Mario, when you fire, transform your veritech into Battloid mode, hold its arms out wide, and jump out that bay door!" Mack thrust her GU-11 toward the portal she meant. "Leanne, you stay on his right and grab him on his way out. Once you're both out, I'll take his left and hope to God those big ship guns don't blow us to pieces! Muppet, Sam, you two just plain ol' get the hell outta here!

"Yes, ma'am," Elinor confirmed, as calmly as if she carried around Battloid tanks every day. "I did offer to carry," she murmured to Cera. "Didn't think to specify in or out of the tank!" She grinned as she launched her Valkyrie into motion, keeping pace with Mario as he dashed to the door. Once the tank's right arm was there to grab, she did so, careful to keep her pace steady to his so that neither of them were thrown off balance, and jumped when he did. It was like formation flying, she figured, only one of them couldn't fly so she had to adjust to him instead of adjusting to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back