• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Five: Melshaef and the Lost Mother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stewart frowns as he sees the passing of the fine white fur cloak. "Otiorin, Lord Sarabina has the right of the matter here. This cloak of pure yeti hide complete with twin hidden gold neck clasps was purchased and worn only by Bilal, and while it was not his signature by any means, it served well as a luxurious trophy to remind others of the unique influence of his menagerie. Bilal would have never given it to a hireling. We remained uniformed, lowly servants, myself the sole exception with my plumed hat here, which is a much-loved gift from Beatrice, I might add." He taps his hat with a proud smile.

Stewart then adds to Otiorin, "Are you certain you want these Painless people inside the wagon?"

Powerpaw hears his name and prowls up on all fours. "Da top of dis wagon is plenty huge. I just flatten down toward da rear an I iz hard da see. I wanna be close by in case dese Painless guys start somethin'. Iz O.K., Bren-face?"

Bria thinks hard for a few moments, then brightens. "'Never underestimate the power of sexuality.'' Bria quotes. "I'll do it, Otiorin!"

Bonny peers forward past all of you, then gasps and shrinks back at what he sees. "Whatever you are doing, tall folk, you had best do it promptly. Look! Torches in the darkness!" Past the watchful hobbit's finger all of you see the dancing of six flames carried by medium-sized humanoids about one hundred meters from your wagon and closing slowly. They move southward down the moonlit highway at walking speed, blocking the Road of Kings, and traveling unhurriedly as if the mysteries of Shandra's Evergreen were nothing to worry about.

"Oh dear!" Whittle shivers, her grass-green eyes growing wide. "In we go, my Bonny! Let us leave this sort of thing to more capable hands!" Whittle pats Luna and Bren as she takes Bonny by the hand. "We will be hiding in the kitchen if you need us!" And they vanish inside together.

Stewart takes one look at Otiorin's outfit, especially his hands, and scowls. "This will not do. Drinking companion, if you wish to act like Bilal the Rich, then you must look the part. Doff your cloak and don the other and move not a foot from this spot, if you please. Quickly, now! As for me..." the old steward rushes inside and Bria follows him with her curious gaze. Then she nods as if understanding something.

Bria turns to Luna and grasps her hands in her own. She glances inside then back to the advancing torches then to the fire-mage's face. "We have no time, Luna. Like Stewart, I can prepare us quickly, but you must follow my lead. What say you?"

Last edited by a moderator:
At the sight of the incoming baddies, Bren quickly pulls his hood up over his head, hiding his face in shadow, and moves to stand just behind and to the left of Otiorin, passing back the rich fur cloak as he does so. One hand holds his shield; the other is resting menacingly on his axe haft. "Right then. Places, everyone. Aye, up there is fine, Powerpaw. Following your lead, Otiorin."

Luna nods. "Bria, I place myself in your hands. Just try to maintain some level of my modesty, please? Lets hurry."

"Just to let everyone know, if things so south, I plan on casting my Haste spell first thing. That will help out everyone with a speed boost. After that, I'll just have to see what needs to be done."

Level 0 - Message, Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost

Level 1 - Shield x2, Enlarge Person x2, Unseen Servant, Gravity Bow

Level 2 - Extended Mage Armor, Scorching Ray x2, Blur

Level 3 - Haste, Fireball, Flame Arrow

Level 4 - Extended Displacement, Ball Lightning

Force Missile x8

For the most part Wolf silently takes in the facts and nods his agreement. For some reason he misses the chance to comment on the girls' roles but his eyes betray a mischievous look. Finally he inspects himself and shrugs, concluding that he'll have to work with what he's got. "Always wondered what it would be like to serve as a private assassin... Except I didn't." he says nonchalantly. "I guess I'll just be myself, only tougher. If this goes south, however... Count on a quick assassination."

That said he takes his place behind Bilaorin, opposite from Bren on the right. And he does his best to be the quiet and menacing bodyguard with a cold, calculating stare that everyone needs him to be.

- Entangle

- Detect Snares and Pits

Otiorin hauled the cloak on, smiling at the other men.

"Be careful, fellows, there's a fair number of these Painless, even after the one I killed. And I didn't bother hiding his corpse, so they may be aware of his death."

He pulled the cloak close around him, making sure that the rich fur concealed his travelling gear and weapons, then stood behind the seat. He straightened his back and adopted a haughty stance, preparing to look down his nose at the approaching Painless.

I hope this works, if only for the captive's sake.

Stewart returns with a number of useful things: Soft white furry gloves for Otiorin's hands, a jeweled goblet filled with red wine for Otiorin's lips, a bucket of soapy water and a cleaning rag for Otiorin's footwear which Stewart kneels down and immediately goes to town on, but the last of the useful things he leaves as an option: "Oh, drinking companion? Care for a few pointers prior to your performance?"

"Stewart, my good friend and co-conspirator, I would forever be in your debt for anything and everything you could offer to further enhance my performance.", the Half-Elf smiled.

His nervousness was starting to eat away at him, there was so much at stake, he didn't want to foul up and see the poor captive suffer any more and he didn't want to put his friends at too great a risk.

Stewart pauses in thought, then speaks. "Place your draconic heritage that so badly frightened me on the inside a few minutes ago aside, and do the same with your sorcery. Think only like a rogue. Bilal is a self-made man, so must you act. This caravan? Its people? It all belonged to him and he treated it and us accordingly, so you do the same! You alone are master here. And I, your trembling servant."

Stewart places the soap bucket aside. "I advise you to take one drink of that wine to relax you, but I recommend a code. If you take three such total drinks, I will set our wagon off as fast as can be mustered and the wagon behind will follow."

"I have supplied you gloves to cover what should be many rings on Bilal's fingers. Bilal was shrewd, a real thinker and deal-maker who thought of his own profits first with the fullest of confidence. He was in command. Of himself. Of his destiny. He would look down upon slavers, but not insult them unless given insult first, then he would be outraged and most-venomous."

Stewart kneels and dries Otoirin's now-clean boots. "If I were these Painless, I would not wish to come inside Bilal's pleasure wagon here. I would want to be near my ten large allies and the rest of my kind, out in the open and not found caught like a rat in a trap. They will want gold and you might bargain with them, but remember - you deal with barons, dukes, even kings! What are filthy slavers, even of Loviatar, compared to the audience you are used to? Show people their place. Control the situation like a god. Remember your own dealings with Bilal but a few nights ago just outside Summerset?

"Lastly, Otiorin, do not be afraid to shout and be angry. Bilal often was..."

Bria takes Luna by the hand as if she were a fellow monk. They quickly disappear together inside the wagon, move past the shining, massive pool and into the guest room where Luna last slept. Bria closes the door. Then something about Bria's demeanor changes a little. Her penchant for curiosity and energetic discourse is smoothly replaced by slower, softer words.

"Please disrobe while I do something with your hair?" Bria takes a deep breath and begins a dissertation of sorts quite unlike any Luna has likely ever heard. Her instructing voice gains a meditative quality, every word carefully chosen. She begins by saying, "Please remove all romantic thoughts you might have of Wolf from your mind. Act as if you belong to Bilal now."

Bria swiftly helps Luna remove her life-saving Boots of Striding and Springing and any other items a courtesan would not be wearing or using. "We are walking a double-edged sword, Luna, for the less we wear, the more convincing we are, yet the less protected. From Otiorin's tale, which I've heard twice now, we are trying to fool slavers; rogues who make their living by fooling and selling others. Failure for us might equal the unimaginable."

Bria then lays aside her own gear. "So speak only when Bilal gives you permission. Keep the talk short, but effective. Look upon him as if he were the sole source of your desire. If you think you can do it, use some of your sexual attraction towards Wolf to provide the right appearance, but don't overdo it."

The Ko monk slips off her own fighting robe and places it around Luna's shoulders, tying it in a well-practiced knot. "We don't have time to look through whatever things Bilal's women wore, so this will have to do." She brushes her hands three times down her glamered armor and suddenly, Luna is wearing a lot less. As for Bria, she is now wearing a pink combination of cloth that might double as swimwear, displaying her healthy, shapely figure.

Bria dresses up Luna's hair as she speaks. "Remember, Luna. Any man worth the title can tell the difference between a girl and a woman with the right type of scrutiny. Men tend to have very visually active imaginations, so sometimes it's not what you wear, but what you don't, and always how you wear it. Regardless of what the rogues say or do, do whatever Otiorin says. You and I may be putting our freedom and our very lives in Otiorin's instincts by doing this, so it is of penultimate necessity that we trust in him."

When Luna and Bria return outside to the rest of the Wanderers, they appear much like this. Bria poses quietly and appropriately, her eyes solely on Otiorin:

normal_Wallaper_-_Anime-Bikini-Pink_01.jpg

(picture credit: animeonly.org)
"Oh, my," Stewart says appreciatively.

"I have seen women fawn over a man before; I just hope that I will be fine just hiding in the background with little enough attention on me." She looks down at how little she is wearing and blushes. "Oh, my. I have never worn so little; even when enjoying the pool. I do hope that my flaming face doesn't give us away." Just remember, you are a kept woman for Bilal the Rich, not a prim and proper mage. Use what the gods have given you; not just your mind, but your good looks, too. She looks at the Ko monk. "We should probably be getting out to the pool area to start our role as a pair of Bilal's women."

After going out with Bria, Luna does her best to keep her head up and not blush flaming red. But, even with all that going on, she can't help but look over at Wolf and wonder how he enjoys the view.

Force Missile x8

Since the... guests have not arrived yet, Wolf permits himself a playful smirk as he locks eyes with Luna. Or at least it might look like it at distance; for in truth his eyes are locked at something other than her eyes. At any rate he seems to be enjoying the display quite a bit. But he doesn't keep it up for long.

"If by some chance they have discovered the body of their fallen comrade," he says to Otiorin, "And the topic is raised, it would be better for us to either admit killing him for mistaking him for a potential assassin - in accordance with the recent daring but anonymous threats to our master - or to blame a group of renegades that we know were in the area. Maybe some whose service we turned down so they took it out on the lone slaver. Either way I feel like denying knowledge of the event altogether would be more harmful than any of the other options. You can even blame me if you want, boss." he grins at the last bit.

- Entangle

- Detect Snares and Pits

As Bria and Luna appeared from within the wagon, Otiorin turned an imperious eye over their scantily-clad nubile forms. For Otiorin, the long slow gaze across their slender limbs and exposed midriffs might have illicited a grin or cheeky comment, but Oti-lal simply gazed at them as if he were regarding cattle or gemstones. He reached out and took Luna by the chin, firmly enough to hold her head fast, but gentle enough not to mark her skin. He turned her head, examining her profiles in the light of the lanterns on the wagon's front, raising her head to see the muscles of her neck respond. Any movement she attempted to make contrary to his wishes, he countered firmly, until he leveled her face to look her eye to eye.

"For the time being, this shall be the only time you will make eye contact with me. Should our eyes meet, you will look down, not aside, but down. With the will of the Gods, this will go as I hope and we shall have the means to free this poor woman and go on our way. Trust me."

"I hope you realize that this is not easy for me. I will play my part in this charade as well as I can for the sake of the woman we are trying to free. Otiorin, if I did not have the highest level of respect for you, I would not be willing to play this part. Please understand that this is very difficult for me, but I will do everything I can to keep our ruse running long enough to get the girl that these cultists have in their possession."

In the deep of the evening, the dark host comes striding down the Road of Kings as if they own it. Six hooded humanoid creatures, each with a torch in hand, spread out in a wide formation and nearing the Adventurers' Wagon with every unhurried step. As they approach, your eyes tell you more about the black leather-clad company, for not far behind them walk four great thuggish, muscle-bound creatures - ogres. They plod along gloomily, carrying a single large something between them. This large something is covered by a wide leathery drape that completely masks its appearance, but not the huge columns of wood the ogres bear it by. It is box-like in shape, but if it is a box, it is nearly large enough to hold a horse.

As they get closer to the Adventurers' Wagon, they all take to the left-hand side of the Road of Kings, their eyes fall upon on your team of quality horses and the impressive spectacle that once indeed had a master named Bilal the Rich. Your horses neigh nervously in the presence of the cruel ogres. It is known by the wise that these two species have never gotten along. Yet it remains to be seen if the same can be said for your company and the six who lead them.

"Hail sirrah," comes a cold-sounding greeting from one of the six, a fit fellow armed with a truncheon on one hip and a rapier on the other. Otiorin recognizes Gerran. "A fine night to have wagon trouble, yet wagons like these are unique. Unique as the men who win them." Gerran comes to a leisurely halt and every man and ogre with him stop with him without so much as a gesture from him. He lowers his head and plants his torch into some soft earth. When he rises, he steeples his fingers and gazes up past the curving stairs and servants and looks directly at Otiorin.

"Are you such a man? A man called... Bilal the Rich?"

"And you would be Gerran the Sinister, leader of this band of slavers known as The Painless, worshippers of the Goddess Loviatar.", Oti-lal responded with a sneer on his lips, the wine glass held negligently from his gloved fingers.

He placed a hand upon Bria's shoulder. He needed to keep them off-balance and keep control of the situation. This was the first step.

"And what brings you to my door, as if I couldn't guess?"

Luna does her best to lounge on one side of 'Bilal' as he talks to the leader of the slavers, looking lovely and useless as a dainty flower in a well tended garden. Out of the corner of her eye, she does her best to keep an eye on the visitors while looking vapid and mindless.

Force Missile x8

Looks up from his drawing, that now resembles an advanced complicated design for two barrels and pipes. "Huh, what? Oh my I think I missed something."

Bren keeps watch from his guard position, trying to move as little as possible and hopefully not attract any attention (aside from that which any armed man is going to get). He eyes the ogres from under his hood, thinking back to what he knows about them.

I know he's come across them before, but they aren't on his success list, so either he failed or didn't try. Hence, trying again!

[dice]6290[/dice]

Carefully moving to somewhere with a moderate tactical advantage like the little wagon, and tries to make as little noise and as little motion as possible. Loosen the strap to the warhammer, and put the drawing into a pocket or something. This is a decidedly, Un-Fluffy moment.

As common as ogres are in the Army of the Black Fang in the War for Highwind (not to mention Bren's considerable experience), feel free to add ogres to his list.

Ogre basics: Slow in more ways than one, ogres are battlefield heavy-hitters. As the very lowest on the Giant family totem pole (and constantly reminded of it by everyone), ogres are astoundingly stupid, ferociously strong, and thanks to the war, sometimes come in great numbers. Easy to anger and great revelers of melee combat, ogres are childishly cruel to any they capture. Evil to the core, they often fight amongst each other unless corralled by their racial masters, the wicked, spell-casting ogre magi (which, by the way, have no Asian influence in my game - they look like ogres with better arms and armor, and unlike ogres, they can think and complete entire sentences; make no mistake - ogre magi are smart).

Lone ogres often spell doom for non or beginning-level adventurers, but for heroes of your level on equal footing, they pose no serious threat one-on-one. Four ogres on one? Now you're talking trouble. Bren or Powerpaw alone could take these four and expect some damage, but you could bet on them winning after a loud and violent confrontation. Your ranged teammates would be in a more difficult pinch, but if outside their 10-foot range, would tear typical ogres up with little trouble. Just remember - ogres only hit one way - hard.

Their bane appear to be the Highwind Minotaurs of Thor who love taunting them into ambushes or tactical mistakes.

Gerran and the two Painless nearest him take on looks of surprise at Otiorin's greeting. Gerran is the quickest to recover. "You said he was a merchant... not a wizard." Without looking at the man nearest him, he puts the back of his fist into the man's chest just hard enough give the man serious discomfort.

The master of the Painless nods and looks over your company. His gaze passes over Wolf and Stewart but lingers on Bren for more than a moment.

As Kaerri knows, in Sharseya, once characters reach 10th level, they begin to have a strong sense of their place in the universe, and with some concentration, can reasonably gauge on whether a particular opponent is around their own level, above it, or below it. Since Bren was 14th level at one time, he likely remembers once having this ability and right now, if all of you were above 10th level, it might be a game-changer in this very moment.

But since you are all below 10th level.... game on.... =)

Then Gerran moves on until his eyes take in the pair of lovelies resting at "Bilal's" feet. His gaze turns greedily lustful as he visually devours both Luna and Bria in his imagination. That is, until he sees Bria staring right back at him. When their gaze meets, Bria swiftly turns her face away from him, her nose high in disdain for the trash at the bottom of the stairway. Then it is her turn to gaze. Bria sighs once and passionately to "Bilal" and places her head on his knee in a submissive attempt at attention. Her physical vocabulary seems to tell Gerran, "You are not worthy to lick the hooves of my master's horses, much less gaze upon the likes of me. There is no other who holds my desire. My word for 'man' in this whole wide world... is Bilal."

Gerran sees this and a fiery chuckle escapes his lips. "What women you possess, master merchant. And wisdom too." Gerran matches eyes once again with Otiorin whose facial features are somewhat clouded by the torchlight Stewart has placed behind him. "You know why I am here. They say your menagerie is second-to-none. I would add to it." He points back at the ogres's load. "I have something rare indeed that will not enter your hands cheaply. What say you to that?"

Oti-lal smiled lazily, swilling the expensive wine around the jeweled goblet in his hand. He gently smoothed a lock of hair on Bria's head, sparing her an approving gaze before returning his attention to the men before him.

"I am Bilal the Rich and my fortune buys me everything, including knowledge of all things pertinent to me.", he replied, his tone condescending and sarcastic, "I entertain nobility of the highest order and make gifts of the rarest kind when it suits me. If you have something of interest, you had best hurry along and present it. I have business with the King of Highwind and I have been delayed overlong as it is."

He settled back and sipped the wine, talking the moment his face was concealed to steel himself against what he was about to witness.

Stay calm, detached. Bilal is a businessman foremost and a human being with feelings dead last. The suffering of the woman in that cage would not move him in the least, though any damage to her would detract from her value. Remember that.

Oh no, you don't, Gerran's eyes seem to say. He grins something wicked. "Well, mayhap we should step aside to allow you your urgent business, sirrah..."

He folds his arms and stands his ground watching your group like some great hunting bird searching for prey. "I am no poor peasant cobbler praying for your coin, merchant. I am a man of action and facts. And I am in a dour mood after what I have recently discovered." He scowls but does not take his eyes away from you even for an instant. His words come slowly and with much deliberation. "You see... there should be seven of us in this little meeting. On our way here, we came across the corpse of my chief poisoner. Killed. By a magical short sword thrust to the chest. And missing some of his valuables. And here you are... stopped cold in the road, yet supposedly behind schedule in some kind of rush to be away..."

His next words creep like a snake in the dark. "Perhaps someone in your party knows something of this?"

Oti-lal appeared nonplussed.

"An unfortunate occurrence, or maybe not? If the fellow was slain, despite his skill with poison, perhaps he was not as adept as he made you believe. And yes, we are paused in our progress. My attendant wagon threw a wheel and one of my men had to repair it. As to your prize, while I express an interest, at the same time I wish for an expeditious transaction. If you have something to offer, let's have at it and we'll come to an agreement. Otherwise, I'll be on my way."

He forced himself to remain calm, this Gerran was starting to worry him. He reached down and gently squeezed Luna's shoulder for support.

"Hmph," Gerran replies. "You say you know naught of it? Then onto business it is..."

Gerran lowers his hand and the four ogres drop their heavy weight to the earth. A pained whimper is heard upon impact.

"What say you to this?"

Gerran sweeps his hand high and wide. The ogres move accordingly and away comes the great leathery drape that conceals a stout wooden cage.

All eyes turn to its contents...

[media]
[/media]

A small voice, filled with confusion and disbelief, is heard, but not from the creature in the cage...

"Mom?"

The voice comes from the roof of the Adventurers' Wagon...

"MOM?!"

Now the faces of many turn and look above and there in the shadow of the night with the bright moon illuminating him is Powerpaw, maul in hand, standing at full height, his fur on edge, tail swishing madly back and forth like a lash in motion...

"Ohh! My son!" comes the response to his call...

And then all hell breaks loose...

Powerpaw runs and leaps from the top of the Adventurers' Wagon and down upon the Painless who react with all the speed of their roguish natures. They jump back in fear, draw steel, and attempt to get out of his way when Gerran yells amusedly to Otiorin, "Well now, it looks like you already have one!"

"Wizard! Kill it!"

One cloaked figure with the ogres reaches into his pouch and begins to call upon mystical words of power, but in his fear, he has made a mistake and stepped back too close to the cage.

"Not my son!" cries the creature in the cage. Her paws are ruined, mangled pieces of flesh - painful to look upon - but her fangs are in no way damaged as the magic-user discovers much to his sorrow. She reaches forth and bites down on him causing him to cry out in surprise and outrage. She refuses to let go and in this state, his chances of casting are all too slim.

"Ahhh! Ahhh!" he screams. "Gerran!"

Gerran turns away from his magic-user and narrows his eyes on you. He says, "And here I thought you were a peaceful merchant. Brutes! Kill her!"

All four ogres raise their log-like greatclubs high and smile evilly. "KILL!!" Suddenly, six more ogres armed with mighty greatclubs burst from the woods onto the scene.

"No! Mom! No!" Helpless to reach her in time, something in Powerpaw begins to crack. His whiskers flare, his muscles tense, he charges your opponents like a demon from the deepest pits of hell...

"Muh-- Mom-- Mooahh...
MOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAARRR!!"

Powerpaw...

GTHLuwPhtGjOCDI-HcACp-x9-Yt1Rz9ADfckZsDvFc-0-hPGS85niQzfeBmVgytNpAfEBiT0KNeU-ucGKVI_zjqV6mcBRHT3vqWlwBMtSd0LcYzdktJn2IfTLMLgzfaghwwqIkCpM_PFmXQFmfeZN0GHsoOSD4NiAxVYowdO4CZABNo6_MIthWIz9U2Q=s0-d-e1-ft

(Photo credit: Atif Saeed)

Roll Initiative...

Luna lets out a surprised yell at the sudden appearance of Powerpaw's mother and the mayhem it produces. Acutely aware of her lack of armor, she dives to the side to prepare her first spell of the night.

Force Missile x8

[dice]6341[/dice]

Wolf was too focused into playing his role to even remotely expect that something like this could happen. As result, he does not get to react as fast as he otherwise would. A flash of concern for Luna came to him; she was unarmored... But not unprotected, as he reminded himself. And she wasn't immediately threatened. Good.

Here we go...

[dice]6344[/dice]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back