• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Fifteen: The Wayward Wanderers Return to Highwind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaerri-by-peritwinkle-sm.png

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet
Hit Points: 99/99
Armor Class: 27
Touch Armor Class: 17
Shadow Illusion: 3/3
Shadow Call: 2/2
Shadow Jump distance: 80/80 feet
Defensive Roll: 1/1
Rogue Talent Resiliency: 1/1
Stinger -- uses of Slow remaining: 3/3
Charm of Bastet -- uses of Cat's Grace remaining: 1/1
Action Points: 14

"Getting away, mostly," Kaerri admits wryly. "Away from the stares (and the careful not-stares), the patronizing, the way certain conversations were dropped when they noticed I was there. But also, I wanted to see more of the world than just trees. They're very nice trees and all that, but they aren't everything, and I wanted to see it all for myself, not just hear or read about it." She laughs. "Thing is, I've discovered that the more I see, the more I want to see. The world's huge, y'know? And then I came to Highwind, and it's pretty much my second home now. They're good people here. So I go places, but I always come back here, and if they call on me for something, I'll probably do it if I'm not already committed elsewhere."

Time/Date: Dusk. Now that you're back, perhaps it's time to ask someone the date?
Weather: Clear and windy with a peaceful-looking night sky. Up here in the mountain city, the stars seem to come to you instead of the other way around!

(Dungeon Master note for all: This scene sees a few NPCs - and one dear PC - making their way to other places. Many of them, happy places!)

( Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag! Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood )

Gromash the Terrible, the Wemic Captain of the Guard, comes forth and collects Grit and Scamp and together they wave and make their way from the Adventurers' Guild to matters beyond with Skiviks and Nitwit waving their farewells.

"Whoa, hang on, little guy," Kaerri says, reaching out to swap Nitwit's chosen mug with one filled instead with foamy ale. "That one's more for someone Powerpaw's size. You'll like this one better, OK?"

Skiviks the Would-Be Kobold Cleric sniffs the ale with a touch of suspicion and experimentation while Nitwit the Kobold Ranger gives a little grin and smiles at Kaerri Rainshadow. "Uhh, tanks a bunch! I don't know me ales from me... tails! Huh huh! Dat rhymes! Huh huh!"

Despite the sudden tumultuous arrival of the Honey Badger and the resulting scuffle, Otiorin remain still. He was deep in reflection, thinking over the events he had gone through with the Wayward Wanderers. He came to a conclusion.
"We have to help the Kobolds.", he asserted calmly, "They are in direst need, otherwise they would not have come thus. The fact that they are being assailed by Loviatar alone should be reason for us to aid them, but to know that their entire people are in danger, it defies any other reason that we should deny their plea."

Skiviks hands the Grand Poobah's scroll to Nitwit. "Look, I gotta idea! I bet you dere's somethin' in Master Leopold's Sagey-smarty books dat'll help with all dis! So... you handle helpin' dese guys get to da Grand Poobah, an' I'll do the brainy-works an' find out more about this nasty plague!" With that, Skiviks bows to everyone at the table and says, "Yer help is mossst appreciated! You won't regret helpin' us - da Tribe of Da Silver Sun! Dat's us! You wait an' see! Bye bye, now!" Then he skirts out of the Adventurers' Guild in a manner that seems to naturally avoid getting stepped on by people bigger than him.

"Uh, okay Skiviks! Good luck! I'm just... gonna sit here... beside the elfie-lookin' guy who's makin' our charms shine all slivery?" Nitwit looks up to Otiorin as if he were something akin to awe. "So... uh... if yer not Charmsring, I mean, dat's okay! We're tryin' ta worship any good dragon that'll take us! An' since my charmies all'a glowin', if you ain't a silvery-dragon... just what are ya? You are still a good guy, ain'tcha?" Nitwit's questions are like that of a boy's - simple, heartfelt, and eager for answers - preferably interesting ones!

* * *​

He turned to his fellow Adventurers and leaned on the table, "We should make ready to travel as soon as we are able-", he paused as he saw Shalin's magically-inscribed words, "I forgot, what will we do without Bren leading?"

Oreleth leans over and says, "Brendoran was a good leader, and he will be sorely missed. I am thinking that the person that steps forward as our new leader and voice of the party should be someone we all know, someone with a good head on his or her shoulders, and finally, someone that is willing to lead this motley band into the jaws of danger. Who would each of you wish to see in this role?"

Powerpaw muses a bit. He appears as if he is about to speak when a smiling Bria returns with two others dressed similarly to her in tavern-attire, their arms lades with nom-filled trays. With their coming arrives food of many varieties. "Haaay, Bria! What iz dis cheezy triangle-shaped stuff?"

"Aye!" Mamapaw remarks, pulling a piece away as the mouth-watering cheese, tasty meats, and fresh vegetables seemingly attempt to resist being parted from their once-circular gathering. "Bast's bones! What... what is this stretchy, delicious-smelling victual?"

Bria, as chipper as ever, eagerly explains. "It's new to the menu! It's called 'pizza!' Please leave a slice for me!" She points to the kitchen. "We're almost out of the weeds back there! I should be caught up shortly! Oh!" Bria skips over and drapes her arms around Kaerri in a sweet hug. "Kaerri saved my soul, everybody! Really! If it weren't for her, I'd still be the prisoner of the mighty shadow dragon who kidnapped me after I died! Kaerri helped return me from the Plane of Shadow until I was resurrected! Wasn't that sweet of her?"

Mamapaw pauses and gawks. "She did what?"

"You heard right!" Bria winds around the table again on her way to continue serving, but not before she gives Otiorin a quick kiss on his cheek. From not far away, a number of adventurers and bards witnessing this act point and raise a positive commotion of "oohs' and 'aaahs' from people most of the Wayward Wanderers have never seen before!

Bria rests her hand on Otiorin's shoulder. "Yep, that's him everybody! This is Otiorin, a half-elf from Waterwind!" A rousing cheer goes up along with a few good wishes and well-intentioned warnings toward the Wayward Wanderers, Otiorin especially - it quickly appears that Bria is not only well-known in these parts, but well-loved and protected too.

Powerpaw regains his thought and looks to Oreleth. "Hay, elfie-face? When it comes ta party-leadin', why doezn't you give it a try?"

* * *​

Count Barathus Varelys and Tarros the Tamer rise from their table along with the count's youthful and wide-eyed staff. Count Barathus proudly strides over to Brendoran and gives a polite 'ahem!' to get everyone's attention at the table. "As an adventurer-merchant, I am used to being on the other end of this kind of declaration, but now I know what it means to be saved by adventurers! Wayward Wanderers, you have freed us from Pohjola and Loviatar's curses! You have restored us from a horrid life of living as undead! You have also brought us to safety in a world we know precious little about! Is it true it is now the year 1118? We have so much catching up to do! But before we get rooms and retire for the night - for we haven't slept in ages! - we wanted to give you these."

Count Barathus produces a small jewelry chest made of mahogany and polished silver. It appears quite old and well kept. This he places on the table and opens the lid to reveal a cache of equally-polished gems, the likes of which you have rarely seen! "Thank you, Wayward Wanderers! You have changed our lives! Please take this as a token of our appreciation for our freedom! Tomorrow morning, I will present myself to the Varelys Trading Company which I have learned has an office here in Highwind. Then, I will go about proving to them who I am and how I might get in touch with my family in Summerset. Tarros here," Tarros smiles wrly, "has agreed to be my bodyguard!"

Tarros looks at the bundle of bright jewels and says, "I was always suspicious that you were holding out on me, wizard!"

"You? Nay! Your former employer? Absolutely!"

The heap of jewels inside the chest - if sold - is worth 12,000 gold pieces for each of you! Congratulations on saving one of the best adventurer-merchants that has ever graced Sharseya! And remember - write something like, "12,000 gold pieces in assorted jewels" on your Character sheet before you forget! =)

* * *​

Finally, Lord Callen turns to his daughter Luna and gives a curt nod of approval. "Looks like you've been busy doing more than drinking, my little fireball! But onto wizardly business. Luna! Tell me simply - why are books valuable?"

Luna knows this is another one of her father's many tests. Wine or no wine, he wants a serious answer from Luna.

* * *​

With Grit and Scamp, Skiviks, Tarros the Tamer, and Count Barathus Varelys and his company onto their differing paths in life, how to the Wayward Wanderers proceed?

The Adventurers Guild - Inn Of Heroes by woo-chul-lee-at-ArtStation11.jpg
(Image credit: Inn Of Heroes by the wonderful Woo Chul Lee)
GAME DETAILS Location: Highwind!
Mode: Exploration
Click Blue Box for Ambiance =)

Oreleth looks at Kaerri with a new level of respect. "She saved you from the Plane of Shadow?!? That is most impressive!" The elf looks down at her nearly empty mug, hoping that if the need ever arose that she would be brave enough to step up and do something as wondrous as that. With a deep swig, she finishes off her drink and proclaims, "Kaerri, let me be the first one of the Wayward Wanderers to ask you to please join adventuring company and travel with us. I would think that you would be able to teach us all something about being a true hero, doing what needs to be done just because it is the right thing to do."
Powerpaw regains his thought and looks to Oreleth. "Hay, elfie-face? When it comes ta party-leadin', why doezn't you give it a try?"
It was a good thing that Powerpaw did not catch Oreleth in the midst of a drink, or else someone would be wearing it! She pauses long enough to marshal her self control, then says to the big guy, "You . . . would ask of me to take on such a role in this group?" She is half expecting him to tell the second part of a joke, but when none comes, Oreleth looks at him, saying, "You honor me, and I thank you for that. I would be willing to take on such a responsibility only on one condition: all the Wayward Wanderers must agree to this. I do not wish to force myself or my orders on someone that is unwilling to accept me as the leader of this team."
Count Barathus produces a small jewelry chest made of mahogany and polished silver. It appears quite old and well kept. This he places on the table and opens the lid to reveal a cache of equally-polished gems, the likes of which you have rarely seen! "Thank you, Wayward Wanderers! You have changed our lives! Please take this as a token of our appreciation for our freedom! Tomorrow morning, I will present myself to the Varelys Trading Company which I have learned has an office here in Highwind. Then, I will go about proving to them who I am and how I might get in touch with my family in Summerset. Tarros here," Tarros smiles wrly, "has agreed to be my bodyguard!"
With a catch in her voice, Oreleth manages to stutter out, "My goodness! Never have I ever seen such a fortune that you are giving to us! I cannot thank you enough for this! I suppose from your point of view, it is a small price to pay for your life back, but I am truly thankful for this. This prize will go a long way in preparing us all for the next challenges to be faced as we go shopping for new gear!"

She takes a pitcher and refills her mug, holding it up high. "My friends! This has been a truly auspicious day! We have laid defeat upon defeat on the plans of the evil Loviatar, rescuing many good beings from her eternal torment, returned safely to our own realm, been approached by one of true mettle that wishes to be a part of our band, and now have been gifted with a fortune that most will not see in their whole lifetime! Truly, on this day we have been blessed! Let us toast to our good fortune, with many more years of the same!"

The tipsy pyromancer is also quite impressed with the tale of Kaerri saving the soul of their dear Bria. "Wow. That is a real epic thing to do, and one that I am grateful that you did. I cannot imagine life without our Bria around. It would make the world a much darker place to live in, that is for sure!" Then when Powerpaw makes his suggestion that Oreleth take up the mantle of leadership, Luna raises up her glass in support. "Hear, hear! Yes, Oreleth! I heartily endorse this idea! You have such a calm head on your shoulders, you will be able to make the right choices for our band with nary a problem! Please do accept!"

Luna is happy to see the large amount of treasure being given over to them by Count Barathus. "My thanks for this, but it was not necessary. We did what we did because it was the right thing to do, not for any monetary gain. But it would be rude of me to say 'no' to this gift, so one again I say thank you, and I assure you that this will go a long way in helping me purchase some much needed items."

Finally, she turns to her father, and addresses his question. "Oh, there are so many things that I could say about why books are important, but I will simply say that they help to preserve and spread knowledge from one person to another, and from one age to another. Just think of all the things that can be learned from the right book! And as the old saying goes, knowledge is power! The power to make the right decision about things that effect not only yourself, but sometimes, the lives of many people around you!"

Bren-DIMITRI-SZARZEWSKI-sm.jpg

Character sheet
Hit Points: 128/128
Armor Class: 27 (+2 vs evil creatures)
Touch Armor Class: 13?
Mighty Blow uses remaining: 12/12
Interpose uses remaining: 12/12
Action Points: 12
Color code: 3399ff
Count Barathus produces a small jewelry chest made of mahogany and polished silver. It appears quite old and well kept. This he places on the table and opens the lid to reveal a cache of equally-polished gems, the likes of which you have rarely seen! "Thank you, Wayward Wanderers! You have changed our lives! Please take this as a token of our appreciation for our freedom! Tomorrow morning, I will present myself to the Varelys Trading Company which I have learned has an office here in Highwind. Then, I will go about proving to them who I am and how I might get in touch with my family in Summerset. Tarros here," Tarros smiles wryly, "has agreed to be my bodyguard!"
Bren smiles. "Thank you very much, Count Barathus! While we didn't do it for the reward, I think you know as well as we do how much it's appreciated. I'm sure we'll all find a good use to put this to." He accepts his share and puts it safely away, meaning to give a good percentage to Mielikki and to those in need, while holding onto the rest for a rainy day. He had a long journey ahead of him, after all. "If there's anything I can help with before I leave, please let me know."

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet
Skiviks hands the Grand Poobah's scroll to Nitwit. "Look, I gotta idea! I bet you dere's somethin' in Master Leopold's Sagey-smarty books dat'll help with all dis! So... you handle helpin' dese guys get to da Grand Poobah, an' I'll do the brainy-works an' find out more about this nasty plague!" With that, Skiviks bows to everyone at the table and says, "Yer help is mossst appreciated! You won't regret helpin' us - da Tribe of Da Silver Sun! Dat's us! You wait an' see! Bye bye, now!" Then he skirts out of the Adventurers' Guild in a manner that seems to naturally avoid getting stepped on by people bigger than him.
"Tell 'im Kaerri said hi!" she tells Skiviks with a wave. Not that she expects Leopold to be more helpful if her greeting is passed along (she's pretty sure he'll be plenty helpful anyway) but just because she hasn't been by in a while.

Bria, as chipper as ever, eagerly explains. "It's new to the menu! It's called 'pizza!' Please leave a slice for me!"
Unless someone (like Otorion) beats her to it, Kaerri does indeed set aside a slice before grabbing one for herself.

The tipsy pyromancer is also quite impressed with the tale of Kaerri saving the soul of their dear Bria. "Wow. That is a real epic thing to do, and one that I am grateful that you did. I cannot imagine life without our Bria around. It would make the world a much darker place to live in, that is for sure!"
"Well, I couldn't just leave her," Kaerri points out. "We -- our party at the time, the Wandering Monsters -- " she grins, remembering that weirdly multi-racial group "-- we were trying to get her resurrected if we could, if she wanted to come back, and the clerics we talked to told us she was stuck. So of course we went to get her unstuck. That's what friends do, right? And I am a Shadowdancer, after all." She takes a big bite of pizza, pulling at it until the cheese snaps, then flips her head up to flick the trailing cheese into her mouth. Well, that's her intent, anyway; what actually happens is that it hits her nose first, leaving a spot of sauce. The second try goes in though! Her bite chewed and swallowed, Kaerri uses her finger to rub the sauce spot off her nose, then licks her finger clean.

"Kaerri, let me be the first one of the Wayward Wanderers to ask you to please join adventuring company and travel with us. I would think that you would be able to teach us all something about being a true hero, doing what needs to be done just because it is the right thing to do."
Kaerri has managed not to be too embarrassed by their praise about saving Bria, because for one thing, it hadn't been just her involved, and for another, it was sort of nice to get some recognition. She has hopped around so much in her adventuring career that there isn't always time for the celebration, at least not with the people you've helped out. (A beer with your party once you get home, that's another thing, and one she's more familiar with.) But Oreleth's words now actually raise a slight blush, which she tries to hide behind her ale mug. Kaerri doesn't really think of herself as a "true hero," even if objectively it might be true, because like the elf said, she just does what needs doing because it needs doing, not because she's after fame. Finally she puts the mug down. "I'd love to join up," she replies, "and I'll follow you as leader, not just because the others agree and they know you better, but because you want us all to be willing. I like that kind of attitude." She takes a moment to enjoy another bite of pizza. Good stuff, pizza. "About teaching... dunno as you need all that much, not if Bria and Bren endorse you. But I'll do my part all the same, and do my best to hold up my end of things."

Hearing your words, Count Varelys breaks out in a warm smile as he and his entourage exit the Adventurers' Guild.

Sherwood Sherwood

Finally, she turns to her father, and addresses his question. "Oh, there are so many things that I could say about why books are important, but I will simply say that they help to preserve and spread knowledge from one person to another, and from one age to another. Just think of all the things that can be learned from the right book! And as the old saying goes, knowledge is power! The power to make the right decision about things that effect not only yourself, but sometimes, the lives of many people around you!"

Lord Callen has long been a man who pays attention to details and thus is quick to point out when something is amiss. "Pay attention, Luna! I did not ask for why books were important, but valuable. My, there is a difference, isn't there? Allow me to think it out." Lord Callen seems to study the ceiling of the Adventurers' Guild for one long moment. Then he speaks. "Ah! I believe importance is something that varies from person to person while value, especially financial, is something that almost everyone agrees on. Knowledge has value only to some people, but knowledge is important for those who rely upon it. Yes? For example, the person who finds books of utter unimportance cannot deface their value since the vast majority of those that do hold books in the highest importance find them highly valuable. But I am leading the horse off of the trail here, aren't I?'

"Your answer has touched upon the crux of my question. Books are considered valuable because of their content. Who could argue that a child's book is valuable to the child while a spellbook is of utmost value to a wizard? What price has knowledge? Take an encyclopedia, for example. How much would you value having an encyclopedia of Averlund at your fingertips whenever you pleased? I found mine to be of incredible value when--"

Wine glass in hand, Lady Callen casually leans in. "Dearest, is this a classroom or a tavern?"

"And why can't it be both?"

"Because your audience is young, fresh from adventure, and probably looking to have some fun! So present it already!"

"I was having fun," Dragoness Sparkle curls in a serpentine manner and murmurs aloud.

Lord Callen rolls his eyes. "Fun! Fun! That is all youngsters ever think about. Myself included at your age! Well, here it is." Lord Callen reaches inside his haversack and immediately plucks forth a sturdy collection of nicely stacked papers bound only by red ribbons. It looks like an extremely-thick book minus any covers. Lord Callen wobbles his head as he does when he is attempting to be modest. "Oldest of my daughters, I have put together a little knickknack for you to put on your shelf and peruse or to put into your spellbook. This is the only copy of the Callen Encyclopedia of Averlundian Adventures. I am its sole author. It contains a large amount of my own experiences, discoveries, and solutions to questions I had back when I was young and free like you. It might even save your life in some dark, dank, forgotten dungeon somewhere."

Very rare item (only 1 of 2)!

The Callen Encyclopedia of Averlundian Adventures by Lord Callen of Summerset appears to be 50 pages of material all bookmarked-by-category for easy finding, but once perused it magically becomes 1,000 pages chockfull of all kinds of information including geography, nobility, nature, weather, monstrous creatures, to name a few. The Encyclopedia not a magical tome in itself, but a full encyclopedia made to be an addition to an existing magical tome or spellbook. The very first page has a simple spell that, once spoken and the Encyclopedia and magical book are physically pushed together, will permanently merge the encyclopedia to the tome in question (the sole exception is this - removing the Encyclopedia requires a successful Disjunction spell and only when cast with this intent).

The Encyclopedia adds +2 to all Lore Skill checks Averundian in nature (meaning not of Rhumian or other-planar natures). This applies whether or not Luna is Trained in a particular Lore Skill. In such cases, Luna is considered to have 2 Ranks in each Lore Skill.

Luna must be reading her spellbook in order to receive this benefit! Therefore it is of no benefit if she is in a situation where she is unable to read.

"With a little help from Sparkle, we have also taken to collecting a few new spells for you from the non-Illusory and Necromancy schools. Your mother and Alec helped. I know you and I have two very different approaches to magic, and yet, I remain hopeful you will find some occasional use for these if only to improve your quality of life." Lord Callen hands Luna some 10 sturdy wooden scroll cases. Luna can tell just by receiving them that there is something of possible importance and value inside each.

1st level - Alarm, Animate Rope, Comprehend Languages, Reduce Person.
2nd level - Arcane Lock, Levitate, Locate Object.
3rd level - Phantom Steed, Tiny Hut.
4th level - Mnemonic Enhancer.

Lord Callen says, "Think of this as a family's way of wishing you great fortune in your future journeys, Luna. You are no longer a mage but a true Wizard now and your challenges are likely to be fitting of the title."

In 1st Edition D&D, each of the beginning Class levels held a title. Once one reached somewhere around 9th-11th level, their title was often that of their Class or something similar. Among many adventuring families and groups, this is occasion to celebrate and it is considered a milestone in one's achievements. This remains so in Sharseya. =)

Oreleth is quiet as Lord Callen talks to Luna, listening and learning more about the human wizard as she does so. As the conversation between father and daughter goes on, she ruminates on the thought of being the one to lead these people into harms way, waiting for the good word from Otiorin and Bria as to their opinions on her taking this role.

Then, when she sees the scrolls that Lord Callen is giving Luna, she idly wonders if there is any way to add to her own small spellbook. She will never be in the same category of caster as Luna, but she does have some talent that can go to aid the party in times of need.

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Oti is in for a surprise!

Finally she puts the mug down. "I'd love to join up," she replies, "and I'll follow you as leader, not just because the others agree and they know you better, but because you want us all to be willing. I like that kind of attitude." She takes a moment to enjoy another bite of pizza. Good stuff, pizza. "About teaching... dunno as you need all that much, not if Bria and Bren endorse you. But I'll do my part all the same, and do my best to hold up my end of things."

Powerpaw happily slams his fist down on the table causing plates to rattle and empty mugs to dance. "Den it's settled! Yer in wif us, Kaerri-face! Yer a Wayward Wanderer-in-trainin'! Moar?"

Mamapaw rubs her paws together. "By bountiful Bastet, we started with zero elves of any kind and now we've two half-elves and two Felane! This must make us the rarest party in all of Highwind!"

Bria returns to the table no longer wearing the raiment of a server but something more. In her hands floats a jewel-encrusted book some of you recognize as her journal. It is as broad and thick as Luna's own spellbook with a different kind of magic one might say. ""Oh, it's more than just your blood that makes people like you rare - it's what's in your hearts! You fight for the things that keep goodness in Sharseya, often without asking for anything in return and doing so for the very sake of doing the right thing. Each of us has made that decision on our own and together, as Wayward Wanderers, our love of goodness is so very strong! If anything makes us rare and different from the average, it is our wills which guide us. And speaking of guiding..."

Bria beams, her eyes sparkling with happiness. "...Gwen - the lady who helps run the Adventurers' Guild here - had a moment where her heart guided her to one of the tailor's shoppes around town and look what she got for me! Isn't it pretty?" Bria twirls about in new finery of her own - a blue-hued dress that makes the browns in her hair and eyes stand out all the more. The peaceful Ko Healer pauses especially before her man, Otiorin, and asks, "What do you think of it?"

The table grows quiet as many eyes drift toward Otiorin for answer.

From upon Luna's shoulder, Sparkle the pseudo-dragon flaps her restless wings briefly and quips to Otiorin, "No pressure, oh silver-blooded one."

Hey Gang! Look at this! It's from RP Nation's very own wonderful Peritwinkle! Woohoo! 8D
Bria by Peritwinkle 19 Dec 2020.png
(Image credit: peritwinkle peritwinkle !)

Luna can't help but let out a slight giggle at the pseudo dragon's comment, saying, "Hush, dear one. Let Otiorin give his input. I'm sure he won't say the wrong thing."

Sparkle lets out a chuckle but does as she is bidden.

Otiorin Taletreader

Otiorin quietly allows the Kobold to sit beside him, it’s comment about seeking a dragon, any dragon, to worship making him mildly unsettled. Do dragons seek worship in the manner of gods? It was true that the power of faith was something that could be made manifest in the material plane and a small but fervent civilization could certainly grant a deity great power. But would a dragon foster such a thing? A cult? It just demonstrated to him how little he knew about his grandsire’s race and their motivations.

He idly played with the food on his plate until Count Barathus made his gift to the group. Perhaps once in his career had he seen such riches, let alone been granted a share of it. The old Otiorin would have blown the entire value of the chest on a debauch of epic proportions, but the new Half-elf who had accepted a favor from the High Templar of Corellon himself was far different.
”I thank you, my lord, for your generous gift. And I would have you rest assured that it shall not be squandered. Forward my fair share to Ben and Misha’s shop. I would have them construct or source an artisan to construct a mobile shrine for the Wild Elves. I pledged all that I had and all I was to aid them. I shall not forsake that oath. Fare thee well, my lord, master Tarros and loyal retainers all, may your road lead to safe havens and all that you desire.”

He smiled at Bria’s cursory kiss, but was not fast enough to steal one back. Later, my treasure. But the conversation at the table had turned to who should replace Bren now that his goddess had given him a duty of great importance.
“I’m happy for Oreleth to lead us, should she be willing. Her judgement is sound and she doesn’t seem unwilling to seek her comrades’ council. I’m also in favor of Kaerri joining us. Another seasoned adventurer is nothing to sniff at and knowing that she saved Bria, quite literally from a fate worse than death means I owe her a favor.“

Finally freed from her serving duties Bria joined them, garbed in almost luminescent azure. At first sight, all sound around Otiorin died away to a hollow echo. The lights of the lamps and hearthfire faded before the radiant vision he beheld. He heard her question clearly, though the comments from his comrades drifted over his perception without notice.
”The greatest Elven bards of Waterwind and all the celestial beings in their infinite power could not conjure a more glorious sight than what I behold now. If I were struck blind now and forever, then I would live happy with the knowledge that I have seen you dressed thus. You are light and life and glory. You stand head and shoulders high above any other woman in my eyes and I will never be dissuaded. Simply put, you look beautiful.”

Last edited:

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet
Kaerri waves a hand at Otiorin's statement of a favor owed for saving his ladylove. "You don't owe me, any more 'n she does," she says, rather seriously for her. "Besides, we half-elves got to stick together. Well, all but one, but if you've met the Wild Elves -- and how did that go, anyway? -- you know about that one."

Bria arrives as Kaerri ends that last sentence, and she wonders if Otiorin has heard her. The half-elf lass smiles, seeing the look in his eyes. It's almost enough to make a girl want a guy like that for herself. And his spoken response was even more romantic. She leans over to the nearest Wayward Wanderer who isn't Otiorin or Bria, and whispers, "Is he part bard? He sure is smooth!"

Bria beams in response to Oti's heartfelt words. She stares softly at him and for just a moment, it is as if every man in the entire Adventurers' Guild, Bren included, has vanished. Bria of the Ko only has eyes for her Oti and it doesn't bother her if all of Sharseya knows of it.

Oreleth raises up an eyebrow at the honeyed words, and says, "Wow. Bria, he's a keeper."

"I knew that from almost the beginning," the peaceful healer replies.

Then Powerpaw bursts in with, "AAWWW! Lookit da lovebirds!" He turns to Mamapaw. "Reminds me a you an' dad!"

Mamapaw closes her eyes and seems to imagine Powerpaw's father. "I like big kitties and I cannot lie!"

Bria pointedly sits beside Otiorin and puts her finger on his nose. In very quiet and fluid Elvish, she leans forward and confides in him. "Harken, Mister Bandit-of-My-Heart. No man has spoken so romantically to me in my life, though I've oft heard these things said between others. You remind me that though I am foremost a Healer of the Ko, I am also a young woman - a part of me that often does not take the stage in this grand play we call life." Bria reaches for Oti's hand takes it in her own. "I think you deserve a reward only I can give, and with it, a secret request for you I have never made of any another," she glances about, "but not here. Just when it's the two of us, you and I, when the rest of the world is outside our door."

Bria's soft brown eyes twinkle as she says these things, and Oti has reason for satisfaction of knowing he alone is the cause of their brilliance.

Oreleth sets her now empty mug down and leans back in her chair, feeling quite content. Clearing her throat, she says, "My friends, I don't know about you, but with the money in my pocket, I am interested in stopping by 'ye ole magic shop' and see what kind of gear I may be able to upgrade to. If anyone wishes to join me, your company would be welcome. Otherwise, can we agree to meet back here to discuss our next course of action? Master Shalin has his work to do on the staff to stop the bridge, leaving us free to do something else in the meantime."

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet

Kaerri tips back the last of her own mug, glancing around to see if there's any pizza left. "It's always fun to go shopping," she agrees, "and Ben and Misha's is my favorite shop in Highwind. Good people, too," she adds, "and I'd bet they'll be happy to see you're all safe, not that they won't have heard by now, I'm sure. But they'll be closed by now. We could see if they've got another round of pizza, chat a bit, then grab some sleep and reconvene for breakfast?" She glances around at the crowd. "I've a room here, and if they have enough free, y'all can get one too. If they're short of space, I might could fit a couple in my room, though some will be on the floor."

Oreleth nods. "I suppose that it is a situation that calls for a good party tonight, then we can set out in the morning for some shopping and then we can see to the next step of of our crazy adventures. Lets have another round, and see just how drunk we can get Luna before she passes out." The elf gives the pyromancer a grin, then waves over the waitress for more drinks.

Luna sticks her tongue out at Oreleth, then says, "I am not that much of a lightweight! I can handle myself! I might just need some assistance in getting up to my room when we are all done."

Otiorin Taletreader

Otiorin smiled broadly at Bria and freely allowed himself to blush at the comments from the rest of his party. He was among friends, true friends, so it didn't matter if they made jokes about him. He trusted them and knew their words were said out of love, not cruelty.
"If it's all the same to you all. I'm going to go find the wagon and rest up there. It's not that I don't want to spend time here, but after all the strangeness of the last while, I fancy a comfortable space that I call my own.", he spoke up, gently gathering his new cache of weapons up in his cloak and stowing them temporarily in his Bag of Holding, "But I'll certainly see you all at Ben and Misha's. I need a harness for these and I think I have a commission for someone as well."

Time/Date: Early afternoon. As for the date? Only Kaerri knows because none of the rest of you have asked. =)
Weather: Windy and sunny with a sky crowded with clouds.

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus (tag!)

The evening at the Adventurers' Wagon passes merrily with many a tale swapped and fine memories made. However, this night like all nights, comes to a close. Dendarian makes his way after giving Oreleth a warm hug in the way Wood Elves oft do with their own. Lord and Lady Callen along with Alec make their way off after many farewells to Luna and Sparkle and in their departing, Luna's mother gives Luna the covered basket she has been carrying all night - it is filled with about 13 big blueberry muffins all made by her mother. Bria loops her arm into Otiorin and pleasantly introduces him to many an adventurer and in return, Otiorin is given many a good welcome and even a few friendly "threats" to the tune of "you'd better be good to our Bria!" Powerpaw and Mamapaw are well-received and asked many questions about Bastet and some mysterious figure known as Kausheya. Kaerri Rainshadow continues to run into friends and acquaintances from the Death From Above crew to Gander Ganderflash and his happy band of bardic gnomes of which he loves to play tunes with.

Nitwit the Kobold Ranger offers to meet you at the Sage's Guild where Skiviks the Kobold will be busy doing research. And yes, Rainshadow learns, the unduplicatable Sage of the Ages, Leopold of Highwind, is still very much in charge there - pink bunny slippers and all.

As Sharseya's moon drifts on and into another day, the Wayward Wanderers learn from the head waitress, Gwen, that their equally wayward wagon has made its way to the Church-Fortress of Saint Cuthbert where, on the God of Good Sense and Retribution's own holy ground does it sit completely unharmed, but not unnoticed. It is quite a midnight walk from the Adventurers' Guild to the church-fortress and once you make it there, you see that the wonderful draft horses that pulled your enchanted carriage are not present, but evidently in very good hands if the Knights of Saint Cuthbert watching nearby are to be believed. The recent ordeals your team has survived finally proves to be too much to stand and each one of you falls into your comfortable, safe beds and into the deepest of sleeps. This too goes for Rainshadow after been given a brief tour by her new teammates, Rainshadow ends her night in the most comfortable bed she has slept in in ages there inside the luxurious and unique Wayward Wagon.

When all of you awaken, you come to realize that you have not seen hide nor hair of Stewart the Steward nor Bonabin or his dear Whittle Meadosweet. Though you parted company earlier on great terms, the Wayward Wagon does seem a bit emptier without their handy presence. But... it is a strange day indeed as you step out to make your way to Ben & Misha's Magic Shoppe...

...only to run into four of these creatures standing boldly before your wagon.

Highwindian Hippogriffs! Except they are stronger-looking, muscular, and completely made of living jade stone! Each of you quickly realizes that these great avians are not living creatures, but in truth - Stone Golems! In their midst stands a proud-looking woman dressed in full plate and wearing it as easily as most warriors wear chain mail.
Hippogriff at Amino Apps.jpg
(Image credit: Cryptid Wiki - Fandom)

"Well met, late-sleepers," begins a middle-aged woman wearing the coat of arms and livery of a Knight of Saint Cuthbert under an early afternoon sun. She speaks slowly and meaningfully while holding each of your gazes as she addresses each of you one by one. "Hail be, Wayward Wanderers. I be Duchess Donna Bellcastle of Highwind. His righteous holiness, Archbishop du Blake, has tasked me with the safe watch of your highly unusual wagon until your return to it and now that ye be here, my duties are fulfilled. By order of His Royal Majesty, King Thayne Wildegard of Highwind, these four beauties here now belong to you in gratitude for your returning our dear Oscar of Highwind to life when all had thought him beyond returning."

"These are Figurines of Wondrous Power - four Stone Golems in all and they will pull and protect your wagon like no creatures about Highwind, nay, all of Averlund I daresay. Treat them well and they shall serve you without fear."

At this point, Duchess Bellcastle provides you a beautiful ornate scrollcase made of pure silver held closed by wax seals with Saint Cuthbert's own mace as sigil as if to ward their contents against evil. "Here, you will find their names and their basics. I heartily congratulate you in place of my king. Forgive him if he cannot meet you in person as he so wished to. I do not wish to keep you but instead I shall leave you to your day's designs when I have your leave, heroes. You have done much for my beloved Highwind by returning Oscar to the city where he has served admiringly well all these years. Is there any way I might serve you before I take my leave, young ones?"

The contents of the scrollcase Duchess Bellcastle has provided you contains the monster-related information found in this link. (DM note: This link will bring you to a new page I wrote a little while ago about the Wayward Wagon. It replaces the one we enjoyed years ago that was lost when RP Nation returned to Xenforo. I hope you like it).

Hippogriff at Amino Apps.jpg
(Image credit: Cryptid Wiki - Fandom)
GAME DETAILS Location: Highwind!
Mode: Exploration
Click Blue Box for Ambiance =)

Luna wakes up in her soft bed with a smile on her face, relishing in the comfort of the covers. Then the hangover hits. With a groan of pain, she stumbles to the privy to take care of her morning business, listening to Sparkle laugh at her suffering with the infamous 'I told you not to drink so much!' ringing in her head.

After getting cleaned up, Luna slips into her glamored robe once more and makes her way through the Grand Wagon.
"Well met, late-sleepers," begins a middle-aged woman wearing the coat of arms and livery of a Knight of Saint Cuthbert under an early afternoon sun. She speaks slowly and meaningfully while holding each of your gazes as she addresses each of you one by one. "Hail be, Wayward Wanderers. I be Duchess Donna Bellcastle of Highwind. His righteous holiness, Archbishop du Blake, has tasked me with the safe watch of your highly unusual wagon until your return to it and now that ye be here, my duties are fulfilled. By order of His Royal Majesty, King Thayne Wildegard of Highwind, these four beauties here now belong to you in gratitude for your returning our dear Oscar of Highwind to life when all had thought him beyond returning."
When she sees the Duchess, Luna dips into a deep curtsey to show respect to the woman. "M'Lady, it is an honor and a pleasure to meet you, and allow me to say that I am truly amazed at the wonderful gift from the King! Please, send along our most sincere thanks to his Majesty for these delightful automations." Now with her hangover forgotten with the excitement of seeing the griffons, Luna begins to examine the four magic constructs with a level of growing excitement building in her. "I wonder, do they fly? Wouldn't it be amazing if we could make the entire Grand Wagon fly?!?"

Oreleth rises from bed, feeling a bit worse for wear due to the amount of celebrating she did the night before. Not a stranger to the effects of having a hangover, the elf pours herself a large glass of water and drinks it to try and put herself back together. Being the stubborn type that she is, Oreleth doesn't allow herself to be laid low by the headache.

Heading out of her room, she is surprised to see the new addition to the Grand Wagon. Oreleth is not as skillful of a spellcaster as Luna, but she knows enough to be able to tell that these four constructs are truly a wondrous gift. She offers up her bow to the Dutchess, saying, "Please allow me to add my own words of thanks to the King for this gift. I believe I speak for all of the Wayward Wanderers when I say that we are all truly grateful for this." She bows again, then looks over at Luna with amusement.

"Luna, if there is anyone that could make the Grand Wagon fly, I would bet on you being the one to do so. But even if it is not possible, these automations should not suffer from fatigue the same way that mundane horses would, making it possible for the Wagon to travel much faster than before, even without leaving the ground."

Otiorin Taletreader

Otiorin rose early, then took his morning ablutions. After enjoying the warmth of the water in his room, he wandered out to the main hall of the wagon and stood, bereft a moment.

He truly missed the companions that had accompanied them here to Highwind. The kitchen was quiet, empty and cold. The Half-elf longed for just one more of Bonabin and Whittle’s buttermilk pancakes doused in rich lavender honey, a mug of coffee freshly ground and brewed to Stewart’s own recipe to one side. Even the conversation and banter of the small folk and the ever-present steward were prominent in their absence. He got the stove lit and filled the kettle with water from the magicked pump. Once the water was underway, he set to grinding fresh coffee. As the kettle boiled, Otiorin sought inexpertly for something, anything, for breakfast. He settled with a pear that was firm but juicy and set about it with gusto.

Once the kettle boiled, he added coffee grounds and water to the pot and let it infuse before pouring himself a dark mug of the brew and smiled a self-indulgent smile as the scent hit his nose. It wasn’t Stewart’s blend, but it was coffee, it was hot and it was set before him. He was about to take a sip when he saw first Luna, then Oreleth enter from the sleeping quarters and pass through to the entrance of the wagon. A distant sound of conversation from outside drew his ear and he followed his comrades out to the exterior of the wagon.

He was startled and enthused to see the duchess and the four jade hippogriffs. He let the human mage and elf ranger talk while he quietly sat and sipped his coffee.

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet

Kaerri has never been much of a morning person, and she was quite happy to skip morning altogether today, as her sensitive half-Elven ears told her no one else was stirring until later either. When the sounds of people moving about finally did get her out of bed, she dressed quickly to join them, and headed for the kitchen to find a piece of fruit. She nodded agreeably to Otiorin, and helped herself to a mug of coffee if his pot still held enough. "Thanks," was all she said, but she raised her mug to him before drinking. Shoving an apple into her pocket, she slipped quietly out of the wagon to see where the others had got to, and arrived in time for Duchess Donna Bellcastle's speech.

At this point, Duchess Bellcastle provides you a beautiful ornate scrollcase made of pure silver held closed by wax seals with Saint Cuthbert's own mace as sigil as if to ward their contents against evil. "Here, you will find their names and their basics. I heartily congratulate you in place of my king. Forgive him if he cannot meet you in person as he so wished to. I do not wish to keep you but instead I shall leave you to your day's designs when I have your leave, heroes. You have done much for my beloved Highwind by returning Oscar to the city where he has served admiringly well all these years. Is there any way I might serve you before I take my leave, young ones?"

Information was always good. Kaerri accepted the scrollcase on her fellows' behalf. She brushed each of the seals lightly with her fingertip, as if thanking each one, then gently broke them and opened the case, reading intently with occasional glances around the area. "Many thanks, Duchess," she replied during one of those glances. "And please pass on our thanks to His Majesty for these, and to --" not Mr. Holy Man, she might not think it funny "-- Archbishop du Blake and yourself for keeping an eye on the wagon, too. There can't be anywhere much safer than here." Her clear brown eyes dropped back to the scroll again, and she grinned. "It does fly, friends," she advised Luna and Oreleth. "Only takes two at a time, whether on land or in the air, though only half-speed in the air -- they're fast, but not that maneuverable -- so we can swap 'em out as need be." She looked up at the duchess again. "These're a wondrous gift, if you'll excuse the pun, and extremely handy for wandering adventurers!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back