• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Fifteen: The Wayward Wanderers Return to Highwind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luna is hardly the most pious individual, but when faced with the Goddess Mielikki, it makes her heart skip a beat! The fire mage curtsies deeply to the forest goddess, then says, "Divine Mielikki, has our work in the cursed frozen lands of the Maiden of Pain stopped the threat to this land? I know that with the return of the giant Gigas to our world has given the hated one a black eye, but I still fear for our world and our lands from the bridge that the Maiden of Pain had tried to set up."

Oreleth is quite happy with the idea of going inside the city once more, and she says to the others, "We have had a rough time in the frozen lands. Shall we go and see what lies in Highwind for us and celebrate our return? I wish to have a good meal, a strong drink, and a nice soft bed, preferably in that order. Once we are free to go from your divine presence, of course, dear Mielikki." She adds that last part to make sure that she does not offend the goddess. Mielikki may not be elven, but she is still a god, after all.

Last edited:

Time/Date: Uh, the sun's going down so it must be sunset! Now that you're back, perhaps it's time to ask someone the date?
Weather: Gone are the frosty grips of every wind that touches you. Here, the air is free and cool and the sky to the east tells of dark clouds heavy with the promise of rain and lightning. Where you are, things are fair for once! Fair and oh, so comfortable!

( Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag!)

(Long post, 1,500+ words, with lots of goodies! Enjoy! The atmosphere music goes really well with this scene too.)

Luna is hardly the most pious individual, but when faced with the Goddess Mielikki, it makes her heart skip a beat! The fire mage curtsies deeply to the forest goddess, then says, "Divine Mielikki, has our work in the cursed frozen lands of the Maiden of Pain stopped the threat to this land? I know that with the return of the giant Gigas to our world has given the hated one a black eye, but I still fear for our world and our lands from the bridge that the Maiden of Pain had tried to set up."

Mielikki, in answer, looks to the north. Her eyes remain staring there, seeing things mortals cannot see, knowing things mortals cannot know. Her gaze remains stern. For long moments, the only sound is the wind ever caressing the mountainside and castle walls and the songbirds chirping freely ever at her side. "Nay, daughter of Summerset. Loviatar and Erythnul's Army of the Black Fang still stroll along my blackened forests, burning. Highwind's true remain on the front lines, grim and harried. With every dawn, more blood soaks my earth. My druids remain in hiding. My heartstrong Tapio is not at my side. Nay, good wizardess. Peace... is still a stranger here."

Her gaze turns to Gigas who has also looked to the north in wonder. "Wayward Wanderers, harken to me. Mine heart tells me thine rescue of dear Gigas is seen as an unforgivable theft in the Ice Maiden's eyes. Thine is an act she will not forget, for thou hast been thrice-cursed by her, hath survived and returned here to me to tell the tale, and rescued yon friend of the friendless, sweet Gigas, too! Ohh, her heart is darker for thee than e'er before! In thine road ahead, thou must match the darkness before thee with a darkness of thine own. One not born of evil, but of the shadows of the rain."

She turns to the Mad Giant. "Gigas!"

Her very gaze causes the Mad Giant to look to her wordlessly and nervously. He has been most quiet since his return to her. "I would see thee restored! But mine feet must stay upon this ground and keep it holy, for since I hath come, Highwind and its people have clung to me and seen me as a hope they cannot bear to lose. Here, I wish to stay until this long war comes to an end. To do less is to fail these people who love me."

She turns to Brendoran and Mamapaw, her features glad and yet unhappy. "Brendoran, my Highwindian shield and most peaceful of all my paladins! Melshaef, my Shamballan storm sent to me by brave Bastet whose friendship is boundless! Thou hast not even entered the earned warmth of this troubled kingdom and here I stand, asking of thee." Mielikki sighed and it seemed the very grass sighed with her.

"I would send one of thee to act as my ambassador to the fabled Phoenix Mountain where the Ko people dwell. No other people in all of Averlund hath their clarity of mind, their ageless wisdom, and their limitless compassion. 'Tis they I would entrust the restoration of my dear Gigas. Would one of thee, after receiving proper rest and restoration from thine own ordeals, travel with him to that holy place and speak as messenger for me? There..." she looks to the front gates of Highwind where a single human-sized fellow comes walking quickly toward the giant, "...is a man who would give his very life... to be thine guide in this affair."

"Giiiigaaass!!" A man's great yell carries across the mountain as he breaks into a run.

With brown and white robes sailing along with his supremely-muscled physique, black and gray hair, and dashing eyes, you recognize him instantly. It is Glider the Elder Ko monk from whom your party freed from the Crown of Chains and the wicked clutches of the Monk-Mages of Wee Jas in one of the Wayward Wanderers' most desperate battles! His arms wide, his face streaked with tears of joy, Glider rushes with a grace that even most Elves do not know until at last he is at Gigas's side. Gigas carefully puts all of you down and stares at the stranger incredulously.

"WHAT? WHO...? I... KNOW YOU?"

"Aye, gentle Gigas! And I so swear you will again!" Glider points up at him and replies. "Every one of the Ko of my generation still love and remember you - our favorite neighbor on Phoenix Mountain! I am the child whom you healed of the Red Plague over 50 years ago! I am Glider of the Ko!"

(From my post on 27 May 2020, Chapter Fourteen, post #241, in the spoiler "What Otiorin experiences"
Around the Mad Giant, who was careful to move only his arms, played a score of human-looking children, none more than a dozen years of age. They showed him books and scrolls from which he read to them. He played games with them and shared tales. He brought them treats from the forest and they brought him little arts and crafts and songs which delighted him. When he opened his eyes to their fullest, he could see all of them. The treats, the words in the tiny books, and most of all, the bright faces of these special human children, some of whom did not move or act like typical human children. It seemed to matter not; they loved him and he, them.

A handful of adults wearing brown and white robes emerged from the forest, cautiously but not fearfully. In one of their arms was a child, black-haired and wonderfully handsome, except that his skin was covered in red splotches and his breathing was not right. One look and the Giant spoke a word which caused the playing children to assemble before him. He counted them all to be certain they were together. Only after this did he rise to his full height and when he did, the gazes of adults and children rose with him.

He beckoned them all to follow him and through the forest they went, over rivers that bubbled down the wide mountain, and the clear trail that each of his horse-sized footsteps left. Finally, they came to a shining pond where pink and yellow flowers bloomed around it by the dozens. Here, the Mad Giant stopped for he would not enter this place nor allow the others to set foot in it. He reached one hand down and with the adults' permission, he took the sickly child into his great paw and with a gentleness only the kindhearted know, he deposited the child upon the flowers and with his fingertips, he carefully washed the child in the waters of the pond.

Time passed. He entertained and fed the child while he was awake and guarded him without sleeping when the child was in Dreamland. When the Giant plucked him up again, the child was hale and hearty and climbing the Giant's fingers with joy. The people for whom the child belonged let up cheers and hugged the Giant where they could. They praised him with their greatest affections.

It did not disappoint Glider when Gigas's memory could not recall him - he was too happy just to see him again. Glider simply looked to all of you, his smiling, handsome face still wet with tears, his hand still upon Gigas's which did not move from Glider's. "Bren! Bria! Everyone! You... you look good! Is... this a new look for you?"

Mamapaw is looking to Bren as if to gauge what he is thinking when she hears Gliders' say. Immediately, a sudden realization strikes her and she becomes a whirlwind of activity. She produces a sharp dagger and says, "Wait, wait! Hold still! Keep your Felane forms a moment yet!" she half-pleads, half-orders as she goes from Wayward Wanderer to Wayward Wanderer with the dagger. From each, unless you say otherwise (and give a good argument), she takes a small amount of the Felane fur along the backs of your necks, including Powerpaw's and her own. "Don't struggle! You won't miss it!"

Powerpaw complains. "Great! Mom's at it agains! Couldn'tcha wait until we wuz inside?"

"Shut face and sit still!"

"Okies, mom." Powerpaw obeys.

Bria rushes up and hugs Glider. "Master Glider! You knew Gigas? I thought... I thought all those stories of your giant friend were just... legends?"

Glider gives her Felane form a big, warm hug and ruffles her fur, "Bria-honey, some legends are real!"

From the ramparts, Mielikki looks down along with dozens of faces, some of them wolves and songbirds. Her smile is like a second coming of the dawn. "Discuss, Wayward Wanderers! Transform if thou wilt. Rejoice and enjoy life! Despite our trials, time is on an easy path. Visit me at Earthhome three dawns from today! But do not make me send for thee - else I might be tempted to send..." she points at Gigas, "my mountain-wizard!" Mielikki's laugh is as comforting as a spring wind touched with flowers.

Gigas turns to you and Glider and Mielikki. He knows he is among people, and not just monsters, again. He is among people who care about him instead of fearing him or ignoring him as it was in the dread Caverns of Pohjola all those long, dreadful decades. Gigas understands that people are trying to help him here. This feeling of being around people who really, honestly, care for him is something he had not felt in a goblin's age. Gigas was moved. He smiled from the heart.

But it was such an ugly smile, it could have cracked a diamond!

Mielikki the Maiden of the Forest.jpg
Mielikki, the Maiden of the Forest
(Image credit: Liste des Dieux : par panthéon)
GAME DETAILS Location: Highwind!
Mode: Exploration
Click Blue Box for Ambiance =)

Oreleth smiles. It is a good feeling to know where Gigas calls home, and even better to know that there is a chance to recover his mind. She says, "I don't know much about the Ko monks, save what I have learned from Bria, but I am glad to hear that Gigas has a place to go to where he will be welcomed, and I hope that his mind will be able to be restored. But we have much to discuss among ourselves. There are many different paths for us to consider taking, and we need to be sure of what we are set to do."

At this point, she turns to Powerpaw and Mamapaw. "My friends, while I am grateful for the gift of this form from Bastet, I am quite ready to return to my own elvish self. I say this to make sure you don't feel that I am disparaging the gift or your people, but I am in constant fear that my claws will cut my bowstring! Let me see how this transformation back will work."

With that, the transformed elf closes her eyes and murmurs a quick prayer of thanks to Bastet, then asks of the cat goddess to allow her to resume her normal form. Oreleth then takes a deep breath and opens her eyes and looks down at herself to see if her body has been returned to its normal state.

Psychie Psychie
Before Oreleth opens her eyes, she can sense she is smaller and furless. Her clawless fingers curl. Her stance is slightly changed. When Oreleth opens her eyes, she sees her blonde hair blowing in the breeze - she is restored to the body of her birth!

Last edited:
Luna looks over at the now restored elf and says, "Indeed, we have many irons in the fire right now; the issue will be which one takes our priority? But we have some time to decide before we must act in one way or another. In the meantime, we have an opportunity to relax and enjoy our triumphant return with Gigas." Turning to the Goddess, she offers up a deep curtsy. "My thanks, dear Lady, for the many blessings that we have gotten from you this day. We shall see you three days hence."

Following Oreleth's example, Luna then focuses her will into the desire to resume her normal, human form.

Character sheet

This, but with blue eyes
full

Credit: gugu-troll - Professional, Digital Artist | DeviantArt
In thine road ahead, thou must match the darkness before thee with a darkness of thine own. One not born of evil, but of the shadows of the rain."
Something about that strikes a chord in Bren's memory, but he can't lay a finger on exactly what it meant. But his goddess's next words drive the almost-remembered thought from his mind once more.

She turns to Brendoran and Mamapaw, her features glad and yet unhappy. "Brendoran, my Highwindian shield and most peaceful of all my paladins! Melshaef, my Shamballan storm sent to me by brave Bastet whose friendship is boundless! Thou hast not even entered the earned warmth of this troubled kingdom and here I stand, asking of thee." Mielikki sighed and it seemed the very grass sighed with her.

"I would send one of thee to act as my ambassador to the fabled Phoenix Mountain where the Ko people dwell. No other people in all of Averlund hath their clarity of mind, their ageless wisdom, and their limitless compassion. 'Tis they I would entrust the restoration of my dear Gigas. Would one of thee, after receiving proper rest and restoration from thine own ordeals, travel with him to that holy place and speak as messenger for me? There..." she looks to the front gates of Highwind where a single human-sized fellow comes walking quickly toward the giant, "...is a man who would give his very life... to be thine guide in this affair."
Bren kneels in acceptance. "You have but to ask, Lady of the Forest," he replies. Then he catches sight of the approaching guide, and smiles, rising to his feet. His greeting forestalled by the older man's joy at seeing the giant Gigas, Bren decides to wait until later. There would be plenty of time on the way to the Phoenix Mountain, after all.

Mamapaw is looking to Bren as if to gauge what he is thinking when she hears Glider's say. Immediately, a sudden realization strikes her and she becomes a whirlwind of activity. She produces a sharp dagger and says, "Wait, wait! Hold still! Keep your Felane forms a moment yet!" she half-pleads, half-orders as she goes from Wayward Wanderer to Wayward Wanderer with the dagger. From each, unless you say otherwise (and give a good argument), she takes a small amount of the Felane fur along the backs of your necks, including Powerpaw's and her own. "Don't struggle! You won't miss it!"
Bren does as the druidess bids, for though he doesn't know why she wants some of their fur, he trusts that it's nothing bad. Probably a "mother" thing, keeping the bits of fur as souvenirs or some such.

From the ramparts, Mielikki looks down along with dozens of faces, some of them wolves and songbirds. Her smile is like a second coming of the dawn. "Discuss, Wayward Wanderers! Transform if thou wilt. Rejoice and enjoy life! Despite our trials, time is on an easy path. Visit me at Earthhome three dawns from today! But do not make me send for thee - else I might be tempted to send..." she points at Gigas, "my mountain-wizard!" Mielikki's laugh is as comforting as a spring wind touched with flowers.
Bren can't help but laugh along with her. Still quietly chuckling, he shuts his eyes and bows his head. "Goddess of cats, I thank you for the gift of this form, and for your blessing on our efforts. I now relinquish it back in favor of my natural self, with gratitude." As he feels himself return back to human form, he bows once more to Mielikki. "I will not make you send for me, my lady," he promises.

Time/Date: Uh, the sun's going down so it must be sunset! Now that you're back, perhaps it's time to ask someone the date?
Weather: Gone are the frosty grips of every wind that touches you. Here, the air is free and cool and the sky to the east tells of dark clouds heavy with the promise of rain and lightning. Where you are, things are fair for once! Fair and oh, so comfortable!

(Heya Gang! Big post again, over 2,000 words. Play the Ambiance music too! Lots to say and I hope you enjoy it. Grab the milk and cookies and read on!)

Mielikki gazes down upon you from Highwind's tall ramparts. For a moment, she appears like a young woman who wishes she could go with you on your journeys. Your particular troubles would then be her troubles and how exciting that would be! In Sharseya, even the gods have daydreams, for daydreams are the stuff of life. Above all, the Maiden of the Forest stays with Gigas, the Mad Giant as friends naturally do, especially when one has need of the other. In this case, their need is mutual and something in each of them knows it. This is the power of friendship!

The colossal fellow with his tower-like stone club watches each of you begin your walk toward the front gates, except for Bria and Glider who hug him fiercely. Bria, still in her white and fluffy Felane form, rubs her cheek against Gigas's ankle. "Please take good care of yourself, Mister Gigas! You have been so wonderful to us! Where would we be without you?"

"YOOOOU!" the Mad Giant replies, his voice booming. "THANKIES TO YOOOU! I REMEMBER MY NAME NOW! I AM... GIGAS! YES! I WILL... REMEMBER YOOOOU! YOU RETURN MY DREAMY-CIRCLE! TEACH ME THAT PURRING HELPS ME FIND SLEEPIES! PURRING! NOW I CAN HAVE SLEEPIES I NEED SO MUCH! FINALLY I RETURN TO... DREAMYLAND! BEFORE YOU GO? YOU PURR ONCE MORE FOR ME? PLEASE? YES?" Gigas eagerly kneels down to your level giving Bria a hug and anyone else who wants one. Mamapaw/Melshaef runs up on all fours and gladly blesses him with motions Druids know.

Powerpaw rests his maul on his shoulder and grins toothily up to Gigas. "Boy, Gigas-face! You would'a been hell ta face in da gladiatorial arena, lemme tell ya! You jus' keep hangin' out wif real friends and not wif people who wanna use you! You an' me? We're both outcastses! But friendships kin put all dat in da past! Ya hear me? If ya do, gimme a MOOOAR!"

"MOOOOAAR!" Gigas let out such a Moar that even the distant clouds in the distance seemed to recede in an attempt to flee that incredible shout!

Bria, Mamapaw, and Powerpaw (and whomever else wants to) purrs in their Felane forms for Gigas. And before you take leave of each other, you see a sight you have never before beheld! With care, Gigas sits his gargantuan body down and rests his back against Highwind's wall. From his belly-pouch, he pulls forth his beloved Starry Circlet and right then, a premature night cascading with brilliant stars twinkles all about him. It is so peaceful. Your purring lulls him slowly and within moments, at last, the great-hearted creature, once-prisoner of Loviatar who had stolen so many years from him, fell gently to sweet slumber. The pact the Wayward Wanderers had made with Gigas is thus fulfilled.

Mighty Mielikki herself now watched over him. Like a great bird of prey looming over her chicks, the Evergreen Lady stood guard and no power in all the land then dared to disturb Gigas's sleep! In that moment, all evil things within sight of the mountain city cannot not bear to look at it and thus, are forced to turn away, if only for a time. This moment alone belongs to the victory you had made reality!

Luna and Brendoran return from their borrowed Felane forms to their natural states and immediately notice the differences in their strength, quickness, senses, and largeness. Oh and the lack of a tail!

Given Cap'n's earlier post regarding Otiorin's request of Mamapaw and the Blessing of Bastet, I'll go ahead and say that all of the Wayward Wanderers now return to their original selves.

Bria kneels in quiet prayer, her hands folded, her voice soft. Then she returns to her beautiful human self in the same moment as Otiorin does, for the compassionate Ko is not willing to change back until he too has done so, whether that time be measured in moments or years. In her love, Bria simply wants to share the same form Otiorin wears.

You are all joined by one very happy Glider. "Hello again, all of you! Bren! Come here and give me a hug! By the stars, it is so good to see you all! Do you know what you have done?!" The once-possessed mighty elder Ko monk, who on the Road of Kings had bent Bren's enchanted shield into uselessness with a single kick and flattened Powerpaw in six seconds, now opens his arms in wide welcome. "Welcome home! I'm going to stay just inside, nearby to Gigas. Now that I've seen him again, oh, I just can't bear to do anything else but watch over him in his sleep! Wayward Wanderers, he saved my life just as you saved my future! That your fates have intertwined... well, it's such a beautiful thing! And look! Here is another beautiful thing!"

Glider cups his hands and calls out to the Highwind City Guard. He leads you all under the stout portcullis of Highwind's Eastern Gate. As you enter, dusk begins to settle, dressing the magnificent city in its sunny hues of soft orange and golds.

Mamapaw grins as she works her paws, putting something small together. "My friends, when we were reunited on Pohjola, I believe I may have mentioned... a vigil in your name?"

As you enter, a huge cheer goes up from inside the East Gate! "WELCOME HOME, WAYWARD WANDERERS!!"

A great gathering of dozens and dozens of people await you inside the walls of the mountain walls! Some of whom you recognized, like Ben and Misha; many you didn't! Nobles, bards, farmers, soldiers, sages, adventurers, and more of just about every free race in Shandra's Evergreen that was allowed in the city! Tall blue-eyed humans, glittery-eyed gnomes, powerful-looking dwarves, savage Wemics, and not-so-savage hobbits, and more. At least 200 people of Highwind had come together here - to pray, to wish, to desire your safe return to Highwind!

Shalin the Silent Sorcerer was the first to cross the empty space between the gathered and you. Wearing soft white robes and carrying a crystal ball, he flashed each of you a bright smile. From his fingers, emerald writing born of Elfish magic shot high through the air for all of you to see. Those words were "Corellon be praised! You return safely!" At his side, set in a sunny affair of reds and golds was a young gray elf that could only be his daughter. Her laughter was as happy as the singing of morning birds. This was Kath, Shalin's only daughter and your return brought her Elfish pipe to playing!

Standing tall and proud, resting one hand on his enchanted cane is a sharp-eyed, gray-bearded old fellow wearing a blend of blue and gold robes denoting his status as a Summerset Wizard of great renown. Luna immediately spots his ringed index finger wagging at her along with that iron stare of his, wordlessly commanding for her to "bring yourself straight here, young lady!" None of the Wayward Wanderers knows who this strong-willed fellow could be, none except Luna of course, who immediately recognizes her own father! A faint grin that only Luna could detect lingers behind his immaculate beard.

Beside him, looking round and lovely, holding a brown wicker basket and wearing a billowing dress that reminded one of sunflowers is Luna's dear mother. A graying shadow, near-formless but not unholy, stands hauntingly near and Luna both sees and senses her brother, Alec, floating there waving excitedly at her. Of her younger sister, there is no sign, but Luna's father and mother do not seem weighted by distress. On Luna's shoulder, Sparkle the Pseudo-dragon gasps in delight for Lord Callen had been her familiar too and what they were doing so far from the Golden Valley of Summerset was any dragon's guess.

"Ahhh! Kosayris, kosai ris!" ("Harmony for you, hope for you!" ) Bria excited scream in Celestial fills the courtyard! Through the yard, there are suddenly great flashes of white and brown followed by tremendous rushes of wind. When they end, Bria can be seen hugging four people in those colors with Glider close behind. The six of them make a big Bria glomp if there ever was one! There is laughter from men and women, all of them Ko! "Oti! Oti!" Hopping excitedly, Bria withdraws just enough to wave him over. And her wave and desire for his company is as always - heartfelt!

Handsome and gorgeous-looking humans whose ages and heritages rise from realms Otiorin cannot begin to guess follow Bria's gaze. Tremendously-athletic with sculpted physiques, some with long white or black hair along with almond-shaped acorn-colored eyes take in their first glimpses of Bria's unknown lovemate and when he looks, Otiorin finds only curiosity and compassion in those welcoming stares. Not a trace of judgment lingers in any of their stares, an unusual thing for a roguish half-elfish outcast.

For the second time, Oreleth finds herself walking through Highwind's East Gate, but this time she is not a lone stranger, but a part of a good-hearted fellowship who have performed acts worthy of the notice of the gods themselves! But having witnessed these reunions between her fellows, if Oreleth has reason to feel left out, it does not last long. Someone sidles up beside her, walking with her. As a quartet of huge plate mail-clad Highwindian minotaurs clap and praise you ("Thor's blessings to you!" "Good to have you back!"), the hooded figure says something to her in perfect Wood Elfish.

"Minotaurs. You never seem to get away from minotaurs, do you? Even on day of our first meet. Have you a... thing for them, Oreleth?" The hood falls away revealing bark-colored skin, deep black straight hair, and luminous green eyes that could only belong to another Wood Elf. It is Dendarian. "Or do you think one of them is hiding the Soulsinger Songbow you so covet?" His pleased chuckle is a hearty one as he reaches out to hug her.

Mamapaw and Powerpaw, the only true Felane present, stay close to each other and take in the cheer. How different this all is from Rhumia! How the Pride back in Shamballah would feel if they could see them now, especially Powerpaw the funny-speaking runt of the litter! Powerpaw casually leans down to a small cluster of curious children from many races who are enamored by his beastly appearance. They sense his absolute lack of fear in life and in them, Powerpaw senses a desire of theirs to learn about he and his mother. The savage gladiator proves plenty willing to provide.

Mamapaw, being the eternal motherly soul that she is, smiles joyously at the great scene and, well, tries not cry tears of sheer happiness. Her son, accepted by the children of other races when his own treat him as if he is something less. Long nights has she prayed for his safety and happiness before they were reunited. Now, her morning and nightly prayers have been filled with feelings of great gratitude. She wonders deeply now as she gazes up to the glowing heavens and beyond to Bastet's golden throne - is Highwind then Powerpaw's true home? Is this where he belongs?

Count Barathus Varelys, Tarros the Tamer, and the count's staff all wander into Highwind together like the gawking group of tourists that they are as they take in Highwind's towering white walls and buildings, flying dragon-creatures with riders, and a single city that holds strong in war from the hearts of very different people from all walks of life. All gawk but Tarros come from another time and Tarros, from another land. Count Barathus Varelys stays close by and smiles at the Wayward Wanderer's heroes' welcome! He touches his hands together and relishes in the feeling of warm flesh instead of the cold bones he and his have been cursed to wear for years. He smiles too at seeing the sunlight on the faces of his youthful students.

Yes. They Wayward Wanderers are heroes to him and the old count finds this welcome for them most deserving!

Gigas the Mad Giant .jpg
Gigas, the Mad Giant
(Image credit: The Mighty Mr. Erol Otus!)

Last edited:
Standing tall and proud, resting one hand on his enchanted cane is a sharp-eyed, gray-bearded old fellow wearing a blend of blue and gold robes denoting his status as a Summerset Wizard of great renown. Luna immediately spots his ringed index finger wagging at her along with that iron stare of his, wordlessly commanding for her to "bring yourself straight here, young lady!" None of the Wayward Wanderers knows who this strong-willed fellow could be, none except Luna of course, who immediately recognizes her own father! A faint grin that only Luna could detect lingers behind his immaculate beard.

Beside him, looking round and lovely, holding a brown wicker basket and wearing a billowing dress that reminded one of sunflowers is Luna's dear mother. A graying shadow, near-formless but not unholy, stands hauntingly near and Luna both sees and senses her brother, Alec, floating there waving excitedly at her. Of her younger sister, there is no sign, but Luna's father and mother do not seem weighted by distress. On Luna's shoulder, Sparkle the Pseudo-dragon gasps in delight for Lord Callen had been her familiar too and what they were doing so far from the Golden Valley of Summerset was any dragon's guess.
As the Wayward Wanderers enter the city of Highwind, Luna's face lights up at the warm welcome and she gives off a wide smile. It filled her heart with joy to see the crowd of people waiting for them to return. Then her eyes find her parents and the shade of her brother in the crowd! "Mama! Papa! Alec! What are you three doing here?" She runs forward and throws herself into the waiting arms of her parents, tears of joy streaming down her face.

Once she is able to detach herself from the firm hugs, Luna wipes her eyes and looks to her family members with many questions. "When did you get here? How did you hear about us getting swept away? Where is Sissy? Oh, where are my manners? Let me introduce you to my friends!"

Oreleth looks at the crowds with a smile, then her expression lightens up even more when Dendarian flips back his hood to reveal his handsome face! In elvish, she responds, "Dendarian, you old dog! Its been, what? Five years? Ten? I can't keep track of the time anymore. What brings you here? It can't be just your concern for me, can it? If so, someone might think that you had taken a few more hits to your rock hard head!" She puts aside decorum and pulls the older elf into her arms and gives him a long hug. "It is good to see you again!"

Otiorin Taletreader

Upon returning to his natural form, Otiorin felt the marked loss of senses that came with the Felane form. Scents in the air became less prevalent, sounds in the distance became less distinct, even the feeling of the light breeze became less noticeable on his skin. He was also much cooler. He shuddered and, with closed eyes, murmured a heartfelt thank you to Bastet for her gifts, both her blessing of a second skin and her blessing of Powerpaw and Mamapaw.

He watched the tearful reunion of Gigas with Glider and smiled as the giant slipped into a beautific repose. That poor being had suffered so much, Otiorin did not care that he had probably become one of Lovaitar's most hated foes. He would gladly shoulder the burden of being an avowed foe to all the gods of darkness and hatred if it meant that gentle souls could be saved from torment. With that done and Bren having made the decision to leave the Wanderers to travel with Gigas and Glider to the distant mountains that the Ko called home, he re-entered Highwind to a far more jovial greeting than he'd ever had before. His smile became broader as he watched his fellow Wanderers greet their families and friends, but in watching the heart-warming gathering, his own heart grew chilled. He thought to his mother, in distant Waterwind. Who knew what she was doing? What punishments and indignities she must be enduring for her actions? He could not abide to let her suffer a day longer than was necessary.

He made a point of running a friendly hand through Powerpaw's thick fur and gently squeezing Melshaef's powerful shoulder as he passed them and nodded politely and companionably to Bria's Ko friends before coming to a halt before Shalin, the Silent Sorcerer and his daughter. He reached down to his belt and carefully unhitched the Sunfire Blade and the Moonlit Edge then presented them to the Grey Elves and spoke loud enough for all to hear.
"Behold, the weapons of Waterwind fable! The Sunfire Blade and the Moonlit Edge, paired weapons wielded by Malakye, one of our greatest heroes, and the former lost since antiquity. He was recovered from the depths of Pohjola due to the heroic efforts of my companions and I. Know then that I came into possession of the Moonlit Edge by means most heinous. My own mother, fearing for my safety in the greater world, took the enchanted blade and gave it to me, knowing that she would be blamed and punished for its theft. Now that the two sundered have been reunited, I would have them taken with all haste back to Waterwind, to be placed in their shrine with all honor and my mother's crime be forgiven and punishments laid aside. I ask you, Master Shalin, would you aid me in this duty?"

Last edited:
You are all joined by one very happy Glider. "Hello again, all of you! Bren! Come here and give me a hug! By the stars, it is so good to see you all! Do you know what you have done?!" The once-possessed mighty elder Ko monk, who on the Road of Kings had bent Bren's enchanted shield into uselessness with a single kick and flattened Powerpaw in six seconds, now opens his arms in wide welcome. "Welcome home! I'm going to stay just inside, nearby to Gigas. Now that I've seen him again, oh, I just can't bear to do anything else but watch over him in his sleep! Wayward Wanderers, he saved my life just as you saved my future! That your fates have intertwined... well, it's such a beautiful thing! And look! Here is another beautiful thing!"
Bren gladly returned Glider's welcoming embrace. Though they had met only a short time before, the paladin felt almost as if the older man were family, and perhaps in a sense he was, for he was a monk just as Bren's father Kilane was, and had been one of his friends. Despite never having been to the home of the Ko (though that would change soon, he hoped!), Bren had known a few of the adventuring monks, not just his own father, but his sister Kikko, and of course Bria, and he knew that many of them felt a family-like bond between each other (a knowledge soon to be reinforced by Bria's own welcome, by a small contingent Bren won't recognize individually, but does recognize clearly as part of that extended Ko family). "It's good to see you too!" he replied to Glider, but with a rather puzzled look. "Beyond coming home, and bringing a few others of note with us?" He followed Glider's lead to the city gates, but stopped in astonishment to see the welcoming party assembled there. He hadn't expected more than Shalin and perhaps Archbishop Du Blake, possibly some of the Mielikkians -- not this huge crowd!

Shalin the Silent Sorcerer was the first to cross the empty space between the gathered and you. Wearing soft white robes and carrying a crystal ball, he flashed each of you a bright smile. From his fingers, emerald writing born of Elfish magic shot high through the air for all of you to see. Those words were "Corellon be praised! You return safely!" At his side, set in a sunny affair of reds and golds was a young gray elf that could only be his daughter. Her laughter was as happy as the singing of morning birds. This was Kath, Shalin's only daughter and your return brought her Elfish pipe to playing!
Bren couldn't help but laugh along with her, and left Glider's side to stand with her and her father. "Twas the blessings of Mielikki and Bast, and your own assistance, my friend," he told the sorcerer gratefully. "To say nothing of the assistance you sent along!" He offered Shalin a hand to clasp, but found that inadequate to the moment and reached for a hug instead.

"Behold, the weapons of Waterwind fable! The Sunfire Blade and the Moonlit Edge, paired weapons wielded by Malakye, one of our greatest heroes, and the former lost since antiquity. He was recovered from the depths of Pohjola due to the heroic efforts of my companions and I. Know then that I came into possession of the Moonlit Edge by means most heinous. My own mother, fearing for my safety in the greater world, took the enchanted blade and gave it to me, knowing that she would be blamed and punished for its theft. Now that the two sundered have been reunited, I would have them taken with all haste back to Waterwind, to be placed in their shrine with all honor and my mother's crime be forgiven and punishments laid aside. I ask you, Master Shalin, would you aid me in this duty?"
"If I might add an opinion," Bren interjected. "If Malakye doesn't mind not getting them back, I think the Lovers are very well wielded by their current bearer. Of course Otiorin's mother ought to be cleared and forgiven, if possible -- who could blame a mother for wanting her son protected? And surely the fact that bearing one led to his recovering the other ought to be considered. But such weapons were not made to rest in a temple, but to be active in the cause of good, weren't they?"

Last edited:

"Mama! Papa! Alec! What are you three doing here?" She runs forward and throws herself into the waiting arms of her parents, tears of joy streaming down her face.

Once she is able to detach herself from the firm hugs, Luna wipes her eyes and looks to her family members with many questions. "When did you get here? How did you hear about us getting swept away? Where is Sissy? Oh, where are my manners? Let me introduce you to my friends!"

After exchanging hugs, Lord Callen explains with a wry grin. "We are in Highwind specifically to check on you because someone does not like to write! Your brother," he indicates Alec with a wave, "lost track of you in Shandra's Evergreen and your little sister is home with a terrible cold and orders not to travel.

"Your orders!" Mama Callen nods at him with a pleased smile.

"I am not risking both of my daughters at once to the hands of fate!"

Mama Callen continues his story with no displeasure from him, "Oh! Then we get here only to find a vigil going on because you were kidnapped! Swept off to another plane of existence! Then something about a terrible curse!"

Introductions are exchanged with Luna's parents taking quite the interest in everyone in the party, especially in your fellow Summerset lord and party leader, Brendoran Sarabina.

Oreleth looks at the crowds with a smile, then her expression lightens up even more when Dendarian flips back his hood to reveal his handsome face! In elvish, she responds, "Dendarian, you old dog! Its been, what? Five years? Ten? I can't keep track of the time anymore. What brings you here? It can't be just your concern for me, can it? If so, someone might think that you had taken a few more hits to your rock hard head!" She puts aside decorum and pulls the older elf into her arms and gives him a long hug. "It is good to see you again!"

Dendarian returns Oreleth's hug with all that is in him. He continues speaking in the Wood Elvish tongue. "Hah! Ten and two more with the lumps on my head to prove it! Thank Corellon I was born with the thickest skull this side of the Forest Eternal!" He pats her shoulder and his eyes are glad to have Oreleth before him. His voice lowers. "Having such a thick head probably has something to do with why I am here, too - I am here on behalf of the tribe. Old, silver-maned Rathesif sent me all this way north to seek the advice of the greatest sage in all of Highwind." Oreleth remembers that Rathesif is as traditional, crusty, and ill-mannered as Wood Elves come and has been around longer than many elves. He is a tremendously-gifted woodland wizard who is never wrong about matters of land and animals, including some of those involving the tribe.

"And wouldn't you know it, the very day I arrive, I learn Oscar of Highwind has died on a crazy mishap with some great artifact of knowledge! They were having his funeral when I showed! Orc's luck!" Dendarian's Wood Elven blood begins to show itself as he grits his teeth and snarls in a wolfish growl. His beautiful eyes darken in mystery and frustration. "Where am I to find the equal of a human now dead? Why must they pass on so quickly to age or accident?"

Oreleth knows that once on a hunt, nothing short of meeting Gruumsh the Orc God face-to-face will stop Dendarian the Warrior from aiding the tribe of the Forest Eternal. His gaze softens. "I suppose I'll have to track down Highwind's second-best sage to get what Rathesif needs. Whomever that is." He turns earnestly to Oreleth and his long ears perk. "You wouldn't have a scent that could lead me on a trail to such a person, would you?"

"It's good to see you too!" he replied to Glider, but with a rather puzzled look. "Beyond coming home, and bringing a few others of note with us?" He followed Glider's lead to the city gates, but stopped in astonishment to see the welcoming party assembled there. He hadn't expected more than Shalin and perhaps Archbishop Du Blake, possibly some of the Mielikkians -- not this huge crowd!

"Aye, Killaneson!" Glider beams. "That fair-haired Elfish lass, the daughter of your buddy Shalin there, was walking along with a red-nosed gnome on a shifty-eyed donkey when they learned of the Wayward Wanderers vanishing right out of Ben and Misha's! They took one look at each other and beat feet to the Adventurers' Guild where we were swapping tales. They spread the news and within an hour, there were dozens of people gathered right outside Ben and Misha's with candles, prayers, songs, and everything! I think they even took up a collection for all of you, except I don't know what a collection is. Something involving that... 'money-stuff' of theirs?"

"A collection is a simple idea with a feather on one end and a poisoned dagger on the other!" Kikko smiles and speaks in an accent that hardly anyone else in Highwind used or knew. "If you collect valuables which go completely to the cause they are meant for, your heart and worries are light, but if instead you lie and take the money for yourself, you poison the trust all that learn of it. There is no antidote for a wise heart wronged. Only atonement."

Bren knew better than most that Ko monks did not have a monetary system but instead bartered services and items amongst their own people. Being the wise people that they were, when in doubt they either saved what coins and jewels they came by for bad times or they gave it all away to truly worthy causes like Bria and the orphanage that adored her.

"If I might add an opinion," Bren interjected. "If Malakye doesn't mind not getting them back, I think the Lovers are very well wielded by their current bearer. Of course Otiorin's mother ought to be cleared and forgiven, if possible -- who could blame a mother for wanting her son protected? And surely the fact that bearing one led to his recovering the other ought to be considered. But such weapons were not made to rest in a temple, but to be active in the cause of good, weren't they?"

Shalin is taken aback, clearly surprised by Otiorin's request. He glances at Bren and Bren knows that look well!

Shalin sez, "HAAAALP!" =)

Otiorin understands just by reading the mute sorcerer's face that there is something Otiorin is unaware of. Kath steps forward. She places both of her hands on the hand that offers the Moonlit Edge while Shalin does the same against the hand that holds the Sunfire Blade. With a bright expression and a musical voice that only Elfish bards possess, Kath explains. Kath, however, has a strange accent that causes her Elfish to be perfect but her Common to be painted by that perfection.

"You are not knowing?" She raises her hand toward the setting sun. "The hours of your mother's suffering have passed! She now lives in a world where she is accepted and honored! Your mother has been forgiven - by Malakye himself!

Kath gazes upon Shalin with a daughter's pride and near-worship. Meanwhile, Shalin nods his head and tries to hide a little from this. It doesn't help. "When my papa learns you were among Wonderful Bren's fellowship, he returns to Waterwind to learn about your past. At first, elfs do not speak of the Otiorin. But when my papa reveals he is Chancellor of Waterwind, they--"

At this point, Shalin grimaces and smiles at the same time. He tries to pull the cowl of his robe a little more over his head, especially when he hears Bria exclaim, "You're a chancellor? You never told us!" Without defense, Shalin simply shakes his head to this. But Kath simply beams at him. By now, she is telling a bardic tale to all that will hear it! She adds expression and movements to her every word turning story into life.

"The Waterwind elfs tell my papa all including the Moonlit Edge disappearing from the Cerulean Vault and vanishing away from elf hands! That night, my papa prays to Corellon Larethian for guidance. My papa found your mother and stood as her Voice of Justice before the Elf Court. They summon the Malakye the Paladin of Corellon! They say to him. They expect him to be angry! Hostile! But he is not! Instead, Malakye reveals prophecy to Otiorin mother - prophecy that Corellon, Malakye's eternal lord, tells to the Elf Court.

From Elfish, she tried to translate:

"The Lovers bright! The Lovers keen!
Torn worlds apart! Their love unseen!

One shivers in cold of cursed lands,
One trembles and slays in draconic hands.

Waterwind hands cannot unite,
Nor tread uncursed beneath the light,

The Lovers' Ward! The Lovers' knight!
Only he shall unite the Lovers light!"

Kath, her naked hand facing the orange sun, turns meaningfully to Otiorin. "This is what Corellon, God of all Surface Elfs, say to Malakye! Malakye forgives your mother. Elf Court forgives your mother and you! But does Malakye forgive you?"

Kath turns as the crowd parts. Six tall cloaked figures march as one directly toward the Wayward Wanderers. Otiorin knows elven steps when he sees them. They are very well-armed and armored in livery few Highwindians have ever seen... until now. Five of the six break off and stay protectively near but the first crosses the distance as if the entire Kingdom of Highwind is but another small step in his long, long adventures. He is intent upon Otiorin. Shalin and Kath respectfully fall back, making way for him. His azure cape opens revealing an incredible gleaming suit of the bluest elfin plate mail adorned with the quarter-moon insignia emblazoned clearly upon this elf's chest. Upon seeing this, some of the Highwindians, unsure of what to do, bow reverently at his passing for such is the regal air in his manner and bearing. With a graceful turn of his arm and wrist, his cloak suddenly fastens itself to his left forearm.

Then all of you see. Upon his person are two scabbards. One on his back is about the size of a bastard sword. Another on his left hip is sized for a short sword.

They are empty.

The elf raises his face-plate revealing a creature older than Otiorin will ever become. Blond hair and striking gray eyes mark a legendary elf who has fought upon all nine of the very Planes of Hell and lived to tell the tale. At least so adventurers say. There is a boldness to his beauty which is unmarred by arrogance or pity. Shalin and Kath join and stand beside him with gladness in their bearing.

He speaks, addressing Otiorin in the Common tongue. He sounds like a born leader and a figure whose vessel of the soul is filled to the brim with goodness, confidence, and a pure holiness that goes beyond that of mortal piety. "I am Paladin High Lord Malakye of Waterwind, the Voice of Corellon." As he speaks, his every syllable seems to fill you with his sheer presence whether he speaks boldly... or softly.

"I forgive you, Otiorin Taletreader."

Otiorin Taletreader.jpg
(Image credit: Warosu.org)

Last edited:
Oreleth knows that once on a hunt, nothing short of meeting Gruumsh the Orc God face-to-face will stop Dendarian the Warrior from aiding the tribe of the Forest Eternal. His gaze softens. "I suppose I'll have to track down Highwind's second-best sage to get what Rathesif needs. Whomever that is." He turns earnestly to Oreleth and his long ears perk. "You wouldn't have a scent that could lead me on a trail to such a person, would you?"
Oreleth ruffles Dendarian's hair as she steps back to get a better look at her friend. "You are in luck. Apparently, while Oscar was not able to be resurrected, he was reincarnated into a new form, able to share his knowledge with us as we were taken into the frozen hell hole of Loviatar's domain." She turns a bit to point at the fluffy red panda, and says, "Let me introduce you to the great sage, Oscar of Highwind."

Otiorin Taletreader

Otiorin's eyes welled up in tears as he heard the glorious news about his mother. A great darkness fled from his heart as if before the rising of the sun and a heavy weight lifted from his shoulders as if a flight of migrating birds lifted off, raising joyous song to the sky. To hear that his mother was not only forgiven but honored and welcomed made the young Half-elf laugh for joy, even as tears ran freely from his eyes.

But then... To hear the name Malakye, to see the very figure of legend, clad in armor of superlative Grey Elven make, to be eye to eye with the hero whose tales Otiorin had listened to enthralled at and cheered for...

Otiorin stumbled back, his feet suddenly nerveless and the laughter dead in his throat. He staggered and fell clumsily, then quickly gathered himself and knelt before the Paladin High Lord himself.
"My lord, I had never thought to hear your name spoken outside of Waterwind, let alone see you with my own eyes.", Otiorin spoke slowly, his heart hammering in his chest. He glanced up at his hero, then lowered his eyes again.
"I- My friends and I discovered the Sunfire Blade in the depths of frigid Loviatar's caverns, acursed Pohjola. The two swords, the Lovers Sundered, are reunited and restored. I now return them to you so that they shall be carried by a hero true and shall once again share in your legend."

Luna's family reunion is somewhat put on hold as she watches the events unfolding between Otiorin and Lord Malakye. As the High Paladin approaches her friend, she joins in with offering up a respectful curtsy to the man. She listens carefully to the conversation between the two, wiping tears from her eyes as Otiorin is officially forgiven for whatever crimes he was accused of.

With a happy smile, Luna offers up a hug to Otiorin and says to the group as a whole, "I am wondering, surely the actions that Otiorin has already performed with the blades mark him as a true hero. After all that he has gone through in order to recover both blades, he now offers them up to Lord Malakye; surely only one of noble intent would be willing to give up such a prize. Wouldn't it be best then for him to keep both swords and use them to forge a new legend? The story of stopping a war and freeing Tapio would be in my eyes a truly epic adventure."

Otiorin stumbled back, his feet suddenly nerveless and the laughter dead in his throat. He staggered and fell clumsily, then quickly gathered himself and knelt before the Paladin High Lord himself.
"My lord, I had never thought to hear your name spoken outside of Waterwind, let alone see you with my own eyes.", Otiorin spoke slowly, his heart hammering in his chest. He glanced up at his hero, then lowered his eyes again.
"I- My friends and I discovered the Sunfire Blade in the depths of frigid Loviatar's caverns, acursed Pohjola. The two swords, the Lovers Sundered, are reunited and restored. I now return them to you so that they shall be carried by a hero true and shall once again share in your legend."

Paladin Lord Malakye seems pleased. He stands like a man who knows well the effect his legendary presence has on people. But then his eyes grow large. He reaches out for Otiorin when he staggers and falls, but he is simply too far away to be of any aid. But this is not Otiorin's first stumble. He recovers as quickly as his impressive talents and skill allow. The Voice of Corellon grins slightly at his display and recovery. His grin widens seeing the half-elf not come to any harm, and moreso upon hearing Otiorin's heartfelt words.

Luna's family reunion is somewhat put on hold as she watches the events unfolding between Otiorin and Lord Malakye. As the High Paladin approaches her friend, she joins in with offering up a respectful curtsy to the man. She listens carefully to the conversation between the two, wiping tears from her eyes as Otiorin is officially forgiven for whatever crimes he was accused of.

With a happy smile, Luna offers up a hug to Otiorin and says to the group as a whole, "I am wondering, surely the actions that Otiorin has already performed with the blades mark him as a true hero. After all that he has gone through in order to recover both blades, he now offers them up to Lord Malakye; surely only one of noble intent would be willing to give up such a prize. Wouldn't it be best then for him to keep both swords and use them to forge a new legend? The story of stopping a war and freeing Tapio would be in my eyes a truly epic adventure."

Luna's entrance into the scene creates, as if by wizardly magic, a zone of gasps and silence among everyone watching as Luna offers a hug to Otiorin who is currently in the process of kneeling in utmost humility before his forgiving lord and hero.

Paladin Lord Malakye, about to reply to Otiorin, glances at Luna. He pauses and only those with great perceptiveness can see the confusion in his ageless face and ancient eyes. Lord Callen winces, pained at Luna's move. Shalin the Silent Sorcerer simply closes his eyes in what seems like prayer. Sparkle slowly freezes as she loses count of the growing number of eyes now upon Luna and herself. For one very long moment, no one present seems sure how to react to the lively human who just stepped into an Elfish family affair far older than she. Moreso, what can one say when she presents what she thinks is best?

"Who is she?" someone murmurs.

"Only the Saint knows!" replies another.

There is many a card a holy elven hero like Malakye, the Shield of the Nine, Right Hand to the Queen of Waterwind, can play in this awkward moment. He chooses to offer his very softest as he leans forward, cups one gauntlet-covered hand that none may read his lips, and addresses Otiorin in Elfish. His voice, this time, seems to carry a personal level of confusion mixed with patience.

"Scion of Charmsring, does this human..." he says, indicating Luna, "...speak for you?" He offers a glance and combination of facial expressions between only he and Otiorin that in Gray Elfish culture asks, "Do the two of you... need a moment to discuss something personal? I shall wait if so."

* * *​

Oreleth ruffles Dendarian's hair as she steps back to get a better look at her friend. "You are in luck. Apparently, while Oscar was not able to be resurrected, he was reincarnated into a new form, able to share his knowledge with us as we were taken into the frozen hell hole of Loviatar's domain." She turns a bit to point at the fluffy red panda, and says, "Let me introduce you to the great sage, Oscar of Highwind."

Dendarian grins boyishly as Oreleth's hands muss his long, wild mane of manly hair. This action of affection, common enough in the loving Forest Eternal, seems to give Dendarian extra cheer - for when was the last time traveling, adventure-seeking Oreleth had been among her warmhearted family of Wood Elves to share such sweet things?

"He's alive?" Dendarian's elfish eyes gleam. "Reincarnated into... what? A cunning wolf with fangs to match, perhaps? Oh! Perhaps a wise owl and now he only acts at night! Or--" Then he follows Oreleth's arm and sees this.

"Red Panda EITA at the Maruyama Zoo"

Oscar is now standing on Bren's wide armored shoulder (which, one must admit, provides a better view than Bria's). His standing position shows his black furry belly and steadied paw against Bren's helm. His eyes, tiny and black, blink often as if in deep thought as he witnesses the strange scene going on between the human, half-elf, and elf. For where else would one expect the gaze of a sage to be except on the unusual and mysterious?

Dendarian, in pure disbelief and swallowed by Wood Elven curiosity, slowly and innocently reaches his hand up as if to pet this strange new creature nowhere seen in all of Averlund, when swiftly, Oscar turns toward the two of you. As briefly as Elfish manners will allow, Oscar speaks a greeting in a flawless Wood Elven accent that even well-traveled Oreleth cannot guess as to who he learned it from! "My heart lightens at your approach! I am Oscar of Highwind. Forgive me while my eyes remain fixed on these goings-on lest the moment pass on without me. You wish something of me. How may I be of help, Dendarian of Rillifane?" Then Oscar turns back to the scene at hand, one of his revolving ears turned toward you, the other straight ahead.

If Dendarian was spellbound before, Oreleth is rewarded with the rare sight of her Wood Elven friend and mentor being absolutely dumbfounded now!

"Uh, well, you see, how did? Er--" Even a child can see, poor gawking Dendarian could use some help here!

* * *​

Back at the scene, Mamapaw and Powerpaw exchange looks of surprise with raised whiskers and upright tails. They have no idea what to do or not do.

What do the Wayward Wanderers do?

Luna Callen Masamune Shirow.jpg
(Image credit: Masamune Shirow)

Aye, Killaneson!" Glider beams. "That fair-haired Elfish lass, the daughter of your buddy Shalin there, was walking along with a red-nosed gnome on a shifty-eyed donkey when they learned of the Wayward Wanderers vanishing right out of Ben and Misha's! They took one look at each other and beat feet to the Adventurers' Guild where we were swapping tales. They spread the news and within an hour, there were dozens of people gathered right outside Ben and Misha's with candles, prayers, songs, and everything! I think they even took up a collection for all of you, except I don't know what a collection is. Something involving that... 'money-stuff' of theirs?"
Bren shook his head, astonished. Adventurers were a unique bunch, certainly, and the best of them shared a camaraderie unlike any other, but this seemed over and above the usual. (It didn't occur to him that the Wanderers had some rather well-liked members among them.) Perhaps it was just the strangeness of the situation itself? Loviatar had managed to spirit them away right in the heart of the city, after all, and that was unheard of, as far as the paladin knew. But whatever the reason, that his fellow adventurers would do such things was heartwarming. He'd have to find them and thank them; those that weren't in the immediate group, that is. Maybe he should start making the rounds now -- but then Kath began her tale, and he settled back to listen.

At this point, Shalin grimaces and smiles at the same time. He tries to pull the cowl of his robe a little more over his head, especially when he hears Bria exclaim, "You're a chancellor? You never told us!" Without defense, Shalin simply shakes his head to this.
Bren is as surprised as Bria, and gives his elven friend a curious look. "When did that happen? Or has it always been so?" He wasn't accusing, either way -- just curious. It hadn't come up before, but it would explain the trust Waterwind's queen had shown in him.

Kath turns as the crowd parts. Six tall cloaked figures march as one directly toward the Wayward Wanderers. Otiorin knows elven steps when he sees them. They are very well-armed and armored in livery few Highwindians have ever seen... until now. Five of the six break off and stay protectively near but the first crosses the distance as if the entire Kingdom of Highwind is but another small step in his long, long adventures. He is intent upon Otiorin. Shalin and Kath respectfully fall back, making way for him. His azure cape opens revealing an incredible gleaming suit of the bluest elfin plate mail adorned with the quarter-moon insignia emblazoned clearly upon this elf's chest. Upon seeing this, some of the Highwindians, unsure of what to do, bow reverently at his passing for such is the regal air in his manner and bearing. With a graceful turn of his arm and wrist, his cloak suddenly fastens itself to his left forearm.
Bren fell back with Shalin and Kath, standing beside them to see what the Paladin High Lord would do or say. With anyone else, he might have been ready to defend Otiorin against unfair accusations or injustice, but paladins were a breed apart, and moreover, Bren had heard much of Malakye himself. Whatever was coming, it would be neither unjust nor unfair. A large smile spread across his face when Malakye stated his forgiveness, simply but definitely. Surely all would be well now, one way or the other, though he still intended to reiterate his suggestion that the Lovers remain with the half-elf who had reunited them in accordance with prophecy (and wasn't that something!), once the solemnity of the moment had passed. Only someone else jumped forward with the same thought before the moment had passed, with her customary warm-hearted impulsiveness. Again, Bren trusted to Malakye's compassion and fairness, but while he did, something rather closer to hand, or rather to shoulder, drew his attention. Oreleth's friend was being introduced to Oscar, and seemed rather befuddled by the fact.

Dendarian, in pure disbelief and swallowed by Wood Elven curiosity, slowly and innocently reaches his hand up as if to pet this strange new creature nowhere seen in all of Averlund, when swiftly, Oscar turns toward the two of you. As briefly as Elfish manners will allow, Oscar speaks a greeting in a flawless Wood Elven accent that even well-traveled Oreleth cannot guess as to who he learned it from! "My heart lightens at your approach! I am Oscar of Highwind. Forgive me while my eyes remain fixed on these goings-on lest the moment pass on without me. You wish something of me. How may I be of help, Dendarian of Rillifane?" Then Oscar turns back to the scene at hand, one of his revolving ears turned toward you, the other straight ahead.

If Dendarian was spellbound before, Oreleth is rewarded with the rare sight of her Wood Elven friend and mentor being absolutely dumbfounded now!

"Uh, well, you see, how did? Er--" Even a child can see, poor gawking Dendarian could use some help here!
Bren bowed his head slightly in greeting (a proper bow might drop poor Oscar). His own Elven, though not exactly flawless and clearly spoken by a human, bore traces of Wood Elf in its accent. He wondered briefly if he and Oscar had had the same teacher, but let the thought fall as he said, quietly so as not to interrupt what was going on with the Gray Elves and Otiorin, "Greetings, friend. I'm Paladin Brendoran of Mielikki. I know it's quite the surprise, but I assure you, this being on my shoulder is indeed Oscar of Highwind. I knew him before he died, and I was present at his reincarnation. You may trust his knowledge as you would your own Sage."

Otiorin Taletreader

Otiorin was taken aback by Luna’s sudden and surprising intercession on his behalf and he couldn’t help the blush that colored his cheeks at her words. He raised his head and replied to Malakye, sombrely but plainly, “My honored lord, my boon companion and friend Luna is ever the source of sage wisdom and arcane learning, though she is oft wilful and impetuous as the elemental fire that courses through her very veins. But, while I value her counsel, in this instance she does not speak for me. In truth, it was my heart’s desire to recover and restore the legendary weapons to their places of honor and in full truth, once I came to hold them both in my hands, I did covet and desire to keep them for myself. But the fact remains, I am not worthy of such great artefacts. These singular weapons were crafted by the most talented of Elven smiths and wielded by Elves of great skill and dignity, it would be a stain on their legacy to be wielded by a Half-elf, a halfbreed who gained the one by base thievery and the other through sheer happenstance.”

But here I have the chance to restore the Sunfire Blade and the Moonlit Edge to the greatest hero of Elvenkind, a warrior without peer whose name is known and reputation renowned in all lands that use spoken tongue. To know that these swords are in the possession of one worthy of them is reward enough for me.”

Malakye listens to Otiorin's every word with the truest of interest. Only when the half-elf is finished with his say does he reply in Elfish.

"I accept."

He bows his head, his gauntlet-covered hand touching the large quarter-moon insignia upon his mighty chest. There, he seems to send a quiet and humble prayer to the Creator of Surface Elves. Malakye calmly steps forward and receives both swords with a reverence unknown to most of those assembled. With great care and an unreadable expression, he draws the Sunfire Blade against the dusky sky. The flaming blade roars with such life as the Wayward Wanderers have never seen in it before Malakye sheathes it upon his back. The gathered dozen of Highwindians share collective gasps and oaths at its blazing beauty. A similar motion is made with the Moonlit Edge and her icy glow shines like a full moon, brighter than even Otiorin has ever seen her before, before her light too fades into the custom sheath upon Malakye's hip.

For one long moment, Malakye drops his head. His long silvery hair covers his face as he touches Corellon's quarter-moon symbol again. None can see his face nor tell his feeling. Then suddenly, he whispers to Otiorin in their native language.

"Walk with me?"

I cannot imagine Otiorin turning this request down, but if for some reason he does, I will rewrite this without regret. My intention is to save time between posts, for the Wayward Wanderers are far from finished in Highwind.

Malakye does not move until Otiorin agrees and when he does, he walks with a thoughtful pace making no attempt to put Otiorin behind him but instead, beside him where they can speak without being overheard. Quickly like a flight of trained hunting birds, Malakye's armed entourage join him and surround the both of you forming a formidable circular wall, allowing none to enter. You proceed up the wide, cobblestone-laden streets between rows of stone buildings clearly meant to serve as bastion if Highwind's East Gate were ever breached. Together, you stride a little deeper into the city.

Malakye whispers, confident that Otiorin's rogue-touched ears can understand him. "Long since my resurrection have we searched for the lost Sunfire Blade. I need not repeat the tale of how I fell to a faithful fellow like you. Our desperation doubled when we learned my Moonlit Edge was also suddenly lost from what we believed was the safest of grounds. But then we came across the prophecy and understood that we were not meant to find The Lovers. Somehow, someway, someday, The Lovers would come to us if only we were in the right place. One of my high priests came to me speaking of Highwind in a dream he had. That dream and my own are what bring me to this highly-unusual fortress that stands alone against all evils.

"Your mother did not lie to us when we asked if you possessed the Moonlit Edge. She only asked that we not punish you. As Holy Queen Illidimirith placed me in charge of the hunt prior to our finding the prophecy, I was able to promise your mother that you would not come to harm from me or mine. By stride and spell, we followed your trail from Waterwind that you had left so long ago and learned of you from some of the souls you had touched along your roguish road." Malakye grins softly for but an instant, but it is there. "A soul like yours can only come from Charmsring. You seem to possess a goodness not even your hard experiences as a twin-blood can dilute. Here, our friends Ben and Misha told us of your apparent romance with the Last of the Healers. One glance at her looking at you tonight told me a creature like her could not possibly love a heartless, evil thief.

"And so I come with a request from you.

Malakye looks to the shining castle that sits in the heart of Highwind. "Upon my arrival, I was met by King Wildegard, who in his young life has done as Wildegards do and transformed this entire region in ways never before imagined in history. The folk of Summerset have an old saying. 'There is no stopping a resolved Wildegard.'

Malakye holds out his left hand, with his index and middle fingers extended. Within moments, one of his entourage gracefully closes and produces something from within her cloak. As she produces two items, this fair and ageless elfin beauty takes the opportunity to "check Otiorin out." Her face reveals the hint of a starry smile in her approval. A flick of Malakye's hand sends her grinning back to her original position.

Malakye presents two odd but clever arms to Otiorin. "These are the latest inventions made by the enterprise of young King Wildegard. For those who know his family, it should come as no surprise that he has imagined, designed, crafted and tested something new to the rest of Sharseya. He has asked me to see if one of trusted Count Brendoran Sarabina's party might be willing to test them in battle and report back their findings to one Archbishop du Blake of Saint Cuthbert of the Cudgel. His Highness provided no timetable. He provided only accessories to accompany these and to have any who accept to see the archbishop with any other queries or reports. Neither myself nor anyone in my present company knows quite what to do with these... strange Wildegardian creations.

"And now it is the hour in which I make request of the Scion of Charmsring." He pauses and bows from the waist, presenting them. "Otiorin Taletreader, will you do this thing for the King of Highwind as favor to me?"

Malakye goes on to explain from memory all that the Ruler of Highwind has told him of the weapons.

This, except one is creamy white and the other silky black. They are in pristine condition and appear very valuable.
Half-elfish hand crossbow.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest)

Sylvia and Sylvan (named after a pair of two of Queen Dayna's beloved cats).

Weight: 4 lbs.
Damage: 1d6+3 + 1d6 Holy damage per successful hit.
Critical: 19-20/x2
Range: 30 feet.
Type: Piercing, Magic, Holy.
Special Abilities: See below.

Designed by King Thayne Wildegard, the third Ruler of Highwind, this pair of repeating hand crossbows is unlike any technology currently available. For some time, King Wildegard has tried to add every advantage to his kingdom in their war against the Armies of the Black Fang. While he has agreed not to personally take part in any battle, the young king has combined his inventive and cunning Wildegard heritage and his love of creating useful things to create these. This is his first attempt at creating new ranged weapons and while they have tested well outside of battle, the Ruler of Highwind is eager to see how they fare in combat, especially in a trusted and skilled adventurer's hands. While these repeating hand crossbows are a unique pair, if they are successful, His Highness would greatly desire to see mundane versions of these weapons in the hands of his loyal archers and adventurers.

* * *​

The repeating hand crossbow - this weapon uses special hand crossbow bolts (normal-sized crossbow bolts are too large to fit into the clip). Each clip holds 5 bolts and takes one Standard action to reload or a Full Attack Action to reload both (unless the character has the Rapid Reload Feat which cuts the time down to an Immediate Action each or a Standard Action to reload both). A 6th bolt can be placed in each receiver (a Standard or Immediate Action for each bolt thus placed), preferably before a battle.

* * *​

Sylvia and Sylvan are a unique magical pair of repeating hand crossbows. One is creamy white (Sylvia), the other silky black (Sylvan). They are best used by a character who possesses the Two Weapon Fighting Feat who also specializes in ranged combat. They provide the following benefits:

These weapons are very hard to hear in operation; the sounds of the weapon cocking and the string firing are greatly decreased. Targets within hearing range are at a -10 Enhancement penalty to Listen checks when making attempts to hear the crossbows in action. The sounds of the bolts striking what they hit are not muffled.

Sylvia and Sylvan are Good-aligned weapons. Evil creatures touching them take a temporary drain of 1 Negative Level for each crossbow until they are released (no Saving Throw or Spell Resistance allowed). Under no circumstances will they function for Evil creatures.

These weapons inflict an additional 1d6 Holy damage per hit.

These weapons possess the Called and Ghost Touch Ranged Weapon Qualities.

When Sylvia is wielded, the wielder cannot be Blinded, takes no penalties from bright light, and can even stare at the sun without harm.

When Sylvan is wielded, the wielder gains Low Light vision if they do not naturally possess it. If they do, they gain Darkvision out to 60 feet. If they naturally possess both types of vision, the Darkvision extends out to 120 feet.

What does Otiorin do?

Glorfindel by Magali Villeneuve.jpg
Paladin Lord Malakye, the Voice of Corellon Larethian
(Image credit: Glorfindel by Magali Villeneuve)
"Magical Elf Music" by The Fletchers

Last edited:
Otiorin Taletreader

Otiorin nodded mutely to Malakye's request to walk with him and listened intently to all that the High Paladin had to say. As they wended their way through the city's higher areas, he tried not to allow the praise from the Grey Elf go to his head. It was a hard thing, accepting anything like praise from one of his mother's kindred when he had for so long been the subject of disdain and derision. But here was one of the greatest and most respected of all the luminaries of Waterwind speaking to him as an equal, commending him for his goodness and finding mirth from his adventures and misadventures. Otiorin smiled gently at the experience which he knew would never leave his memories for the rest of his life.

But then Malakye made his strange proposal and presented Otiorin with the twinned hand crossbows. They were of much finer construction than the mundane one that languished in his pack and, between embelishment and mechanism, were far in excess of anything the Half-elf could have imagined. He reached out and took hold of the strange weapons. They were a comfortable fit to his hands, neither too heavy, nor too light for his strength. There was a solidity to their construction that defied their appearance.
"Malakye of Waterwind, Voice of Corellon, I accept the duty from Archbishop du Blake at your request. It will be my honor to go forth and bear these weapons, then to report as to their efficacy. Woe to the enemy of me and mine that shall fall within their sights."

"Well spoken," Malakye turns and looks Otiorin in the eye. There is something odd about an elf like Malakye. It is as if he has not lived one life but many and staring into his gaze is like staring into a far-off star - beautiful, heavenly, but not reachable by most souls. He stares at Otiorin for one very long moment and it is very difficult, even for one raised among the starry elves of Waterwind, to discern his thoughts.

He turns to make his way elsewhere, but pauses. "May Corellon guide your every-- Ah. In my haste, I almost forgot. Your mother..."

"During court, the question was presented to me. 'High Lord Malakye, what will you do should the rogue refuse to relinquish the swords?" Malakye looked grim for a moment, but the expression softened a touch. "My reply was to turn to your mother. Her words provided answer. 'My son will do the right thing. Please see that he wields these in their stead.' As she spoke, I saw her with my heart. In answer, I took her faith for you on as my own. It was a simple decision, really, for no one knows a child like those who raise them.

Malakye's fingers touch the armor on his forearms and with one simple caress, a brief sunny light though the hour is dusk, and suddenly Malakye is wielding a pair of sheathed short swords. They are exquisite. "Your mother..." Malakye continued quietly, "...had these forged for you. They are silver like the blood that runs inside of you. She said... you would name them." As he presents them to Otiorin, he softly murmurs. "In addition and with her blessing, I... had them consecrated by our priests. I hope you do not mind."

The swords Otiroins mother had made for him - jonathan-turner-elf-sword-2.jpg
(Image credit: Johnathan Turner of ArtStation)

Among the starry elves of Waterwind, Elven Thornblades are coveted weapons among Corellon's warriors. Worn only by those who have done right by Corellon Larethian, they are seen as the stuff of the elite. Native enemies of the elves will recognize these weapons and have good reason to fear them for they are sharper and dealer than typical short swords. The addition of silver means added pain against monsters vulnerable to that famous metal.

Silver-edged Elven Thornblades
Weight: 4 lbs.
Damage: 1d6+3 + 1d6 Holy damage per successful hit.
Critical: 18-20/x2
Type: Slashing, Piercing, Magic, Holy, Silver.
Special Abilities: See below.

These unnamed swords are +3 to hit and damage and have been enchanted to add 1d6 additional Holy damage upon a successful strike.

Elven Thornblade - This blade is suited for thrusts and parries, making it especially capable of inflicting deep, penetrating wounds. A wielder with Weapon Finesse can apply her Dexterity modifier to attack rolls with an elven thornblade instead of her Strength modifier. An elven thornblade grants no additional benefit when wielded two-handed. In addition, attacks with an elven thornblade gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls made to confirm critical hits.

Cap'n, be sure to add these swords along with Sylvia and Sylvan to Otiorin's character sheet, or if for some reason you can't, let me know and I'll do it. =)

"We must be away," Malakye concludes warmly, producing a fine elfish sack. "Now that The Lovers are with me once more, I have a promise I am eager to keep. These are the accessories I mentioned along with a trifle or two from... my company. May these things serve you well against the evils you encounter, Scion of Charmsring."

Malakye glances at the sky once more. He stays but a moment longer, perhaps to see if Otiorin accepts.

* * *​

Sherwood Sherwood

Luna's father gently but firmly pulls her aside out of earshot of most others, just long enough to provide her a piece of his mind. As always, when he has a point to make, his index finger is raised and his eyes brook no debate or interruption. Sparkle, who has known Luna's father since before Luna was born, gives him her fullest attention. "Luna! You act as if you were still in Summerset, standing before our very estate! In the Golden Valley, we are a known name, old and respected! Here? In the young uncertain city of Highwind? We are but nobles from a land most of these people have never once visited! We are unknown here so have a care!

"Furthermore, when presented with a fabled hero and man of station as the Voice of Corellon, one asks to speak in matters that do not directly pertain to them as this one seems to be. I understand you wanted to help your friends as you have always done, but with the prestige High Paladin Lord Malakye commands, and given his very healthy relationship with the king and queen of Highwind, he could have us tossed straight out of the city's gates and into the wilds!"

Luna is well aware that her father means the best here. He is attempting to share his greater experience of societies with her so that she does not come out looking like a grade-a idiot by way of ignorance. This talking-to is not at all fierce unlike the shouting matches he had with Alec when he was alive. As the family is quick to remind, everyone knows who was the wiser of your father and brother - a point even Alec will not debate now that he is dead.

His chin droops low as he looks Luna in the eyes. "Tell me you understand?" Luna knows if there is one trait she and her father share, it is that neither of them like arguments, especially between family. Luna's father is a great lover of peace and quiet. Luna's mother pays attention just enough to keep her mind on this matter, but her eyes keep shifting toward the Felane in your party. Nowhere in Summerset have such creatures ever been seen and the dear lady can't keep her eyes off of Luna's Kitty-face friends. Sparkle looks to Luna too. She gazes at Luna with a faint grin, confident in Luna's heart as always.

"Smart-Alec" whispers a ghostly piece of advice. "Sis, just give him what he wants and move on for Boccob's sake!" But, much to his woe, he is overheard by your sharp-eared father who sticks out his cane and murmurs magical words. Alec, too busy delivering his advice to Luna, misses this action. Suddenly, another ghost joins your group. It is Brunnhilda, the huge woman from the Frozen North who adored your brother and threatened to kidnap him back to her barbarian family.

"Alec!" the ghost of Brunnhilda exclaims. "I have died to join you! Now I can take you with me and marry you!"

"Aaaack!" Alec screams. "Nooo, anybody but her! Help me!" Alec has the gall to hide behind, not his father, but Luna in hopes that his wizardly sister will save him! Luna, however, like everyone present except Alec, understands that this spirit is but an illusory hoax created by her father.

Sparkle, who has never liked Alec, grins to Luna in a way only dragons really can. Luna knows Sparkle would be equally happy if Luna let Alec continue on believing that this haunting creature is the real Brunnhilda.

How does Luna choose to handle this little episode?

* * *​

Psychie Psychie

Dendarian's conversation with Oscar is brief and a true display of efficiency between two adventuresome people who do not want to waste each other's time. Without taking his eyes off of High Lord Paladin Malakye and Otiorin, Oscar waves Dendarian close. Dendarian takes the offer and whispers perhaps two sentences into Oscar's furry ear. As Dendarian sighs as he prepares to hear some long-winded scholarly response about the nature of the universe and so forth, he is pleasantly surprised when Oscar's response is simply one long sentence.

Kaerri Kaerri

Of course, all of this is taking place on Brendoran's shoulder. It is his choice whether to cover an ear and place his attention elsewhere or listen in.

Oreleth is sure she hears Dendarian quietly exclaim in Elfish,"that's all there is to it?"

Oscar leans over again and whispers another sentence into the Wood Elf's eager ear.

"Solonor's eagle eyes! Rathesif is going to fall out of his tree when he hears how simple this is! Why didn't we think of this?"

To which Oscar has an answer. "Speaking as one who was born human, we think in terms of the years we have to live. Elves think in terms of their lifespans."

Dendarian prepares himself to praise Oscar with heaps of gratitude, but Oscar senses his approach and waves, shaking his furry head. "Think of my advice as goodwill from our country to yours. Help between neighbors."

"Well, if you ever need a warrior of elven blood by your side, you have but to look me up!"

"While your offer is appreciated, Dendarian of the Forest Eternal, my eyes are on the elven blood already in our fellowship. Bright stars in your future."
"Uh, and bright stars in yours!" Dendarian turns to Oreleth. "Where did you pick up a fellowship like this?!" He and Oscar share a single wave as they part company.

"So hey! Listen! I've been spending the past few months searching around and putting the occasional coin into the right hands in certain places. I've come to the conclusion that if the minotaur band that attacked your caravan took slaves, they either escaped or somehow vanished. Even the Bloodland minotaurs don't seem to have any record of Wood Elven slaves. They say they don't like Elfish slaves anyway; 'too uppity and smart for their own good.' They prefer races that are easier to dominate like kobolds, goblins, and when they can get 'em, hobbits."

After months of thinking about it, I think that by the time we get the Wayward Wanderers to go after the elves Oreleth lost contact with 5-10 years ago, well, we'll at this rate, we'll probably be old enough to be mistaken for elves ourselves. So! I figured by having Dendarian perform the footwork, this both saves Oreleth the trouble and lets her focus on more positive things that are more likely to follow and profit from than age-old tracks from a caravan battle almost no one knows about.

Besides, if it's goals you want for Oreleth, I can provide. =)

Dendarian fishes into a pocket he keeps under his chain mail and produces a small pouch. "And hey! I've been looking out for you! I remember you're after a certain style of songbow - a Soulsinger, right? Well guess what I learned?" Dendarian's eyes thin in elfish mischievousness. "After drinking a certain well-informed human sage under the table, he was forced to cough up something about Soulsingers requiring the hair of nymphs as bowstrings! And while out in Shandra's Evergreen, I ran into some satyrs and nymphs who were low on meat for their cubs. I had just filled up and there was this pretty orange-haired nymph and..." he grins, "... she broke out some wine, a campfire, and some privacy. One thing led to another and while she was sleeping..."

He pulls forth 5 strands of looong orange strands of what looks like incredibly soft and healthy hair. The hair is so beautiful that it shines in the dusky sunlight in a way that makes it look like molten gold. In the other hand, Dendarian has his favorite knife.

"... well, let's just say I thought of you afterwards, Oreleth. Hey! Don't look at me like that! She gave it to me! Really! Honest!"

Please add "5 strands of freely-given orange-colored nymph hair" on your character sheet.

Glorfindel by Magali Villeneuve.jpg
Paladin Lord Malakye, the Voice of Corellon Larethian
(Image credit: Glorfindel by Magali Villeneuve)
"Magical Elf Music" by The Fletchers

Last edited:
Luna bows her head as her father gives her his scolding, wanting to argue with him, but knowing from a lot of experience in doing so that it would be a very bad idea. It doesn't help out at all to know that he's right, and it is a bitter pill to swallow. In a quiet and meek voice, she says, "Yes, father. I understand. I know I shouldn't have done so, but I just couldn't stop myself from trying to help out my friend! Haven't you told us all about the times you have risked your own life to save others? How is this any different, stepping up to help Otiorin?" She puts on a good lip quaver and fixes her father with the best 'sad puppy dog eyes' she can muster, remembering how much trouble that this had gotten her out of. "Am I going to be punished?"

"Alec!" the ghost of Brunnhilda exclaims. "I have died to join you! Now I can take you with me and marry you!"

"Aaaack!" Alec screams. "Nooo, anybody but her! Help me!" Alec has the gall to hide behind, not his father, but Luna in hopes that his wizardly sister will save him! Luna, however, like everyone present except Alec, understands that this spirit is but an illusory hoax created by her father.
Luna's keen eyes and ears manage to spot the simple charm that her father used, so she is not as surprised as her brother. But as a sister, she cannot help but find herself amused at the sight and sound of his misery. Making a move as if to scratch her chin, she does her best to hide her own smile. Servers that smug jerk right to think that his 'bonny true love' has come back to spend eternity with him.

Taking a deep breath, Luna turns her attention back to her father. "I know I should have kept my mouth shut. But you know me. I always have been impulsive, and leap into things before I think them through thoroughly. It is my biggest flaw, and one that I have tried to remove from my character."

Sherwood Sherwood

"Yes, father. I understand. I know I shouldn't have done so, but I just couldn't stop myself from trying to help out my friend! Haven't you told us all about the times you have risked your own life to save others? How is this any different, stepping up to help Otiorin?"

Lord Callen peers into the scene as High Paladin Lord Malakye and Otiorin Taletreader leave the company of the crowd to quieter avenues. "Oh-tee-or-in," Luna's father muses. "That's the name of your friend there? Well, to be crystal-ball-clear, I would think by now you would know the mountain-sized difference between my physically stepping in as a matter of life and death to save those I have a duty towards, and opening my big mouth in matters that do not involve me." Lord Callen patiently lets that sink in.

"Let us, as the youngsters like to say, 'unpack this.' Let us start with - did you think Malakye, the Voice of Corellon, Creator of the Surface Elves, was going to behead him? Here? In public? No, this Otiorin of yours was in no way in danger.

"So what was in danger? The very property he had recovered and was attempting to return, on bended knee I might add, to its rightful owner! What could be more noble?If I did not know any better, I would say that your Otiorin was hero-worshipping great Malakye!

"Now put yourself in his position. There you are, returning what is not yours to someone you adore, when in steps a friend of yours! They declare to virtually the entire city that they think it would be best if one of the greatest, bravest heroes I have personally ever heard of would be noble enough to see to it that Otiorin keep the blades. Yes! She thinks that would be best for Malakye, Otiorin, and the universe at large!"

"Do you realize you questioned the nobility of one of the oldest and greatest paladins of our generation? And now I ask you - heart or no heart - how is this act defensible?"

She puts on a good lip quaver and fixes her father with the best 'sad puppy dog eyes' she can muster, remembering how much trouble that this had gotten her out of. "Am I going to be punished?"

To which she earns his firm and serious reply, "If you are going to act like a child, I will most certainly treat you like one. Lady Luna Callen had better make a reappearance and soon or I will send this child before me to bed with no supper." Lord Callen added half a smirk to this statement. The rest of him looked quite serious.

Taking a deep breath, Luna turns her attention back to her father. "I know I should have kept my mouth shut. But you know me. I always have been impulsive, and leap into things before I think them through thoroughly. It is my biggest flaw, and one that I have tried to remove from my character."

Lord Callen sighed in what appeared to be sympathy. "Well not tonight, you haven't. And on that, we agree. Your penchant for acting without thinking first is quite unwizardly. One day, it may cost you dearly. I hope not, I must add!" There was a look in Luna's father's eyes that reminded her that the main reason they had packed up, left Summerset, and traveled all the way to Highwind, was just to see if Luna and Sparkle were indeed all right.

"Remember, my child. A good wizard thinks before she takes action. Preparation and knowledge and a great spellbook can carry you far! Let the warriors and rogues leap head-first into the fray if they must. Let the clerics deliberate and do what their deities have them do. You have a talented mind capable of doing much good, but first you must learn to temper the very flames you call forth lest you burn someone or something you truly care for!

"I am ready for your rebuttal if you have one?" It almost sounded like he was hoping for one. Luna's father always enjoyed a good, brainy debate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back