• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Eighteen: In the Shadow of the Maiden of Pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaydude jaydude About this time, Alisa feels eyes upon her. Friendly eyes.

Naturally following the familiar feeling, the paladin (if she so chooses to) looks back up to the way leading out of the tunnel and into open air and freedom. There, quite unlike a bird of its kind, sits a single songbird - yellow and unworried - where no songbird in its right mind ought to be!

Alisa knows well that Mielikki is oft surrounded by songbirds and evergreen and wolves too. But is it funny how no one else in the party, your feline companion included, notices the little avian now pecking at the floor and looking to Alisa with the same look the great furry bear did not long ago? =)
Having already given her contribution to the debate, Alisa had largely been leaving the others to continue it. Now though, she found her attention drawn to this songbird. The way it was looking at her was oddly peculiar, and even though they all seemed busy, it was surprising that none of the others had noticed it.

Breaking away from the others, Alisa walked up to the little bird and crouched down in front of it. "Hello, little one. What brings you here?"

Otiorin Taletreader

To say that Otiorin was not happy about the concept of facing four Storm Giants with only a fifth Storm Giant's dubious guarantee that they would go free if they somehow defeated the lumbering brutes would be an understatement as immense as the surprise he'd felt when the hobbit had tumbled seemingly from nowhere to be caught by the Paladin Alisa.
"While I am not averse to facing the underlings of Loviatar, these giants are something far outside my experience. I only hope my skills are up to the challenge.", he sighed, looking around his companions uneasily, "As has already been said, if we turn tail and flee, there's likely no chance we would outrun them and there's every chance that they would lay waste to the Kobolds we promised to help."
He straightened his back at the memory of the tiny, beady eyes of Nitwit and his friends staring at him as their trinkets glowed with that faint silvery light.
"We best get to it before my common sense talks me out of it."

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus jaydude jaydude Tag! =)

Anyhow, by my count, those three plus the ones back at the village ought to be all of them. She's right -- we can do our own little rescue if we hurry. The giants will still be a potential problem, but we'll have done what we came for. We can leave them for another day." She glances at Alisa. "And report them to the rangers and whoever needs to know, so they don't get too close by accident."

"While I am not averse to facing the underlings of Loviatar, these giants are something far outside my experience. I only hope my skills are up to the challenge.", he sighed, looking around his companions uneasily, "As has already been said, if we turn tail and flee, there's likely no chance we would outrun them and there's every chance that they would lay waste to the Kobolds we promised to help."

Breaking away from the others, Alisa walked up to the little bird and crouched down in front of it. "Hello, little one. What brings you here?"

(OOC: These three quotes are connected as you will likely soon see. =) )

Everyone in the Wayward Wanderers notices Alisa step away from the conversation at hand. Those curious enough to follow see her heading back the way you came, back up toward the surface and fresh air and sunlight. Mamapaw is among the curious. "Bastet be!" she notices what has drawn Alisa's attention. A moment ago, you could swear it was not there if you looked. Now?

There is a tiny colorful bird far down into tunnels that birds never go. And yet, here the little one is, seemingly unafraid of Alisa's approach or her pause as she lowers herself to meet the diminutive avian.

* * *​

Alisa alone notes the following:

(OOC: Read here for Out of Character knowledge except for Jaydude for which this is in-character. You also have the option of not reading this at all and knowing as much as your character does. The choice belongs to you.)

The songbird tweets softly but merrily at Alisa who must be the giant of all giants compared to the pretty little creature. Alisa notices that the bird has two somethings in its tiny talons and as if to display them, the songbird hops back putting the items in full view.

The first is a very small scrap of leather. The kind of strap one binds to secure something or perhaps someone. But it is broken. Snapped clean. Perhaps it held something before but it holds nothing now.

The second is a raspberry. A single beautiful fresh raspberry. Alisa has been a child of Mielikki long enough to have experienced visits like these before and the animals, usually wolves or songbirds or bears act in a way that displays some kind of meaning. Once, when Alisa had the means to use the Speak with Animals spell and could not figure out that display for herself, she cast it and the wolf she conversed with spoke in a limited fashion, but as clear as it could. Alisa understood the message then in an adventure long ago.

But this songbird? This burst strap of leather? This raspberry? Looking their way causes Alisa to look farther up and out of the brown and black tunnel where sunlight beams across the trees you left not long ago. Here, Alisa sees the side of the Wayward Wagon for it is huge and very hard to miss. But... being a wilderness-tested paladin of Highwind, she knows that something... is now missing.

The songbird quiets and follows Alisa's gaze. Alisa's ears reach out. Her training and experience combine successfully not to new sounds of danger... but to the lack of sounds that were present when the Wayward Wanderers left to enter this tunnel. Alisa does not hear Bria the Healer. She does not hear Powerpaw the Felane. And... as a feeling tells her to stand tall... that from her standing position with the songbird now sitting easily upon her shoulder... she can see for certain.

The kobold tribe is gone. The circle the dozens of little reptilians were sitting in is now emptier than a beggar's purse.

The moment Alisa realizes this, the songbird zips off, its tiny wings spread out and eager for freedom and sunlight and to be gone from this place. Alisa hears the songbird tweeting merrily for it is going to a happier place. The paladin glances down into her sword-hand and there inside of it, without any recollection of her having acted, are the broken leather band and the full raspberry ripe for eating.

"Why's it all quiet out there?" she whispered to herself, before she figured it out. The implications of that answer came after the songbird disappeared.

"Oh no..."

She pocketed the scrap of leather and the berry, and then turned to the rest of the Wayward Wanderers still in the cavern.

"I don't wish to make things more complicated..." she whispered with a hint of warning, "...but I can't hear anything coming from the wagon. Something's happened to the rest of our group."

Part of her wanted to head back outside and check the wagon for any signs of Bria, Powerpaw or the kobolds. But at the same time, there were the matters of her companions and the storm giants to consider.

Kaerri looks down the tunnel, though it's too far and too twisty to see properly. "I can go back and check real quick," she offers. "Bria was going to try to talk the kobolds into going inside the wagon. Maybe she's succeeded, is all." If so, then she'd press again for the sneaky solution. Why risk so much when they had all but gained the rescue?

Oreleth is squeezing her bow hard enough to make her hand hurt as she struggles with the weight of being the one in command. "No. We all go out together. Move as quickly as we can while keeping silent. We have to get the kobolds out of harms way first, then we can come up with a plan to deal with the giants." Her face is looking like she just sucked on a lemon, and is frustrated enough that she is ready to eat her armor, but the lives of others are more important here, and they come first.
Attacks per Round:
1st - Manyshot (firing two arrows). "To Hit:" +18 (+20 First Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 2d8+12 (+6 Base damage).
2nd - Improved Vital Strike. "To Hit:" +13 (+15 Second Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 3d8+6 (Improved Vital Strike, +6 Base damage).
3rd - Normal Attack. "To Hit:" +8 (+10 Third Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 1d8+6
4th - Rapid Shot Bonus Attack. "To Hit:" +18 (+20 First Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 1d8+6
+1d6 per arrow of either Cold, Fire or Electrical from Arcane Archer class.
-3 to hit/+6 Damage from Deadly Aim

Hit Points: 91 +d10 per level
Action Points: 11 / 11
Bonus Action Point: 1 / 1
Diamond of Fate: 1

Armor Class: 24
CMD: 26
Fort Save: +9
Reflex Save: +13
Will Save: +6 (+11 vs Fear)
Perception: +15

Spells Memorized
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost, Message
1: Shield x2, Shocking Grasp x2, Burning Hands
2: Flaming Sphere, Glitterdust x2, Web
3: Fireball x2
+3 damage to Evoker spells.

Last edited:
Luna looks at Oreleth and nods, understanding the pressures that being in charge can bring to bear. I don't know if I could swallow my pride enough to walk away from a fight like she is. That takes a lot of courage to make that call. "Yes, ma'am. I'll do my best not to trip over my own two feet and be silent as I can on our way out." She grins, hoping that her silly comment will not be a omen of things to come.
Hit Points: 74 +1d6
Action Points: 11 / 10
Diamond of Fate: 1

Armor Class: 18 - 24 Mage Armor II. +2 from Ring of Force Shield
Touch AC: 14 Flat Footed: 22

Initiative Bonus: 2
Fortitude Save: +6
Reflex Save: +7
Will Save: +16

Base Attack: +6 / +1
Melee: +4 / -1
Ranged: +8 / +3

Extended Mage Armor II active for the next 26 hours

Spells memorized:
Cantrips (4): Mage Hand, Light, Detect Magic, Read Magic
1 (7): Magic Missile x4, Shield x2, Unseen Servant
2 (7): Web x2, Protection From Arrows x2, Glitterdust x2, Scorching Ray
3 (6): Haste x2, Fireball x2, Slow, Lightning Bolt
4 (5): Empowered Scorching Ray x3, Ball Lightning x2
5 (5): Cone of Cold x2, Empowered Fireball x2
6 (4): Chain Lightning
7 (2): Prismatic Spray, Mage Sword

+7 damage to all Evoker spells

Oreleth is squeezing her bow hard enough to make her hand hurt as she struggles with the weight of being the one in command. "No. We all go out together. Move as quickly as we can while keeping silent. We have to get the kobolds out of harms way first, then we can come up with a plan to deal with the giants." Her face is looking like she just sucked on a lemon, and is frustrated enough that she is ready to eat her armor, but the lives of others are more important here, and they come first.
"You got it." Kaerri sees and recognizes the signs of a tough call being made, and doesn't want to add to the stress of it (anymore than the situation itself does). "If you want my suggestion - there's only three of them here, so only three of us need go any further in, not that it's all that far to 'em, and they aren't going to be resisting nor all that heavy. I figure me, Otiorin, and Alisa can be sneakiest in the kobold-snatching." She's ready to move on Oreleth's word.

She glances at Luna. "I don't suppose you've got a delayed-blast fireball or some such to leave here when we go? That might give the giants a surprise when they come looking. Maybe even bring down the roof, if it's a big enough boom."

Luna shakes her head. "No, I don't know that spell . . . yet. It is on my list to add to my spellbook when I get the chance to do so. I have a couple Empowered Fireballs prepared, though. It won't be delayed or silent in any way, but it might do the trick."

Kaerri shakes her head. "I was sorta hoping for the 'delayed' part. Prob'ly best if we just get ourselves out as quietly as possible." She glances at Oreleth as she says it, and her tone isn't at all assertive, just thoughtful.

"You got it." Kaerri sees and recognizes the signs of a tough call being made, and doesn't want to add to the stress of it (anymore than the situation itself does). "If you want my suggestion - there's only three of them here, so only three of us need go any further in, not that it's all that far to 'em, and they aren't going to be resisting nor all that heavy. I figure me, Otiorin, and Alisa can be sneakiest in the kobold-snatching." She's ready to move on Oreleth's word.
After a moment to ponder, she nods. "Do it. The rest of us will make our way to the opening of the cave and wait. Luna, hold off on your Fireballs for a moment. We have to get everyone out first, then you can raise a little bit of a ruckus and see if we can't lock the giants in the cave for a bit to buy us all some time to get out of here."

Mamapaw steps forward with the legendary Maul of the Titans in both paws. "Oreleth, if that weak point in the top of the cave proves fire resistant and if you can get me up there somehow, I'll give it a whacking with this!"

Otiorin Taletreader
Otiorin smiled at the thought of snatching the Kobolds out from under the noses of the Storm Giants. How dare they take hostages and try to negotiate terms! He nodded his agreement to the plan.
"While fighting a horde of angry giants is unappealing to me, the thought of sliding their ill-gotten gains out from their slack hands is most agreeable. You have my aid."

"I can't say I've ever fought a Storm Giant before. If there has to be a first time for that, I'd much rather it not be against a group of four." replied Alisa.

This would hardly be shirking her duties to Mielikki, would it? Her goddess had sent that songbird, the one whose presence had alerted her to the disappearance of their comrades, so she had to have been willing to permit such a course of action. As for the storm giants, Alisa was loathe to allow agents of Lovitair to go free, but there would surely be other opportunities later on.

"Before we act, give me a moment." Aldrin's hands paint patterns into the air, runes and symbols that come to his mind. It's like he sees the future he wishes to accomplish, and his hands simply follow the paths that leads there - not much in terms of conscious knowledge what the gestures mean. Within a short moment, the others can feel just a little glimpse of his own foresight; it seems easier to move with grace, as if their bodies were aware how to avoid noise and sound.

"That should help a little. Once you have the kobolds, I will seal the path behind you. It might only buy us a few minutes, but that's all we really need."

Perhaps, there's more to be accomplished; but walking down there on his own would only mean to disregard his blessing's value. No point in throwing his life away when the others decide to turn away from the threat for now.

Casting Enhance Ability in the Cat's Grace-version - +4 dex enhancement bonus for everyone who doesn't happen to have a better one.

Spells:
6: 3/4
5: 7/7
4: 7/7
3: 4/7
2: 7/7
1: 8/8
0: INFINITELY MANY!

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus jaydude jaydude Kaerri Kaerri Tag!

(Part 1 of 3)

Aldrin casts, and it is immediately understood by all that the magic will not last forever, so it is best to make good use of it while it is still upon you.

Mamapaw approaches Alisa with one big paw open. "Should you wish it, I can provide you a Druidic blessing of my own. After all, we Mielikkians ought to stick together!"

"Oh! You too, Otiorin and Kaerri! It lasts for almost half a day."

If you agree, you benefit from a Pass Without Trace spell, good for 11 hours, as provided by Mamapaw. =)

Whatever your decision, Mamapaw makes signs to both Bastet and the Lady of the Forest for your safe return. Mamapaw bestows this magic upon herself and, moving to Oreleth's side, offers it anyone else in the party who desires it.

As your party divides into two separate groups...

tfw GIF

Wow! How did that get in there? =)

... you easily make your way along - one group towards the light and the other into deeper darkness to where evil dwells.

(Part 2 of 3)

From time to time, Kaerri's shadow will do something that might remind Alisa and Otorin that she is a separate entity from Kaerri - a flick of the hair here, the brief retying of a bootlace there - when Kaerri herself makes no such move.

While you are making your way through the tunnel, the shadow peers at Otiorin and then nods approvingly.

"Bria's a lucky girl." Eris pats her own derriere in reflection and says to Kaerri. "Hey, boss? How in the heck did your race nearly die out when you have asses that look that good in leather? Shouldn't your people have kids all over the place?"

"Silence, heretic," chides Wave the trident from Kaerri's hand. "Your prattle will carry down this tunnel and betray us like so much faithless flatulence."

Unused to hearing such back talk from that ancient intelligent weapon, Eris pauses in surprise. Not finding it to her liking, she remains quiet but unlike Kaerri's own hand, Eris raises hers with her middle finger extended up at Wave - a display meant to get the final word.

But it is not to be.

Eris gawks when, looking back at the trident, she notices Wave has lit its three topmost tines - and the great tine in the middle momentarily glows brighter than the two below it. This occurs just long enough for Eris to notice. Then the dim lights fade completely.

Sorely outdone and all too aware of it, Eris the Shadow quietly chuckles and bows in surrender to the mighty Wave before continuing on.

In return, the large fourth tine on Wave's opposite end briefly flashes a soft green and then all between the two appears right again.

Aldrin casts, and it is immediately understood by all that the magic will not last forever, so it is best to make good use of it while it is still upon you.

Mamapaw approaches Alisa with one big paw open. "Should you wish it, I can provide you a Druidic blessing of my own. After all, we Mielikkians ought to stick together!"
Alisa grinned. "I'd be a fool to refuse."

If such a blessing would make it harder for their foes to track them once discovered, it only made sense to accept it.

"Now let's find these kobolds, get out here and then find out what happened to the rest of our group..."

From time to time, Kaerri's shadow will do something that might remind Alisa and Otorin that she is a separate entity from Kaerri - a flick of the hair here, the brief retying of a bootlace there - when Kaerri herself makes no such move.
"I'm still not quite used to that, you know." Alisa commented as she watched the shadow move independently. "The only other time I've ever heard of such a thing was when my mother was reading me bedtime stories."

"Bria's a lucky girl." Eris pats her own derriere in reflection and says to Kaerri. "Hey, boss? How in the heck did your race nearly die out when you have asses that look that good in leather? Shouldn't your people have kids all over the place?"
"There isn't always a correlation besides attractiveness and eagerness to procreate. Same with the latter and eagerness to rut." Alisa whispered to the shadow.

(Part 3 of 3 - the Rescue Group)

The three of you creep along together through the uneven twisting turns. The tunnels are so large that it seems the slightest sound that goes and echoes the father down you go. At last, the sounds of great creatures reach your ears and there is nothing welcoming about them.

The three of you find yourselves at the spot where Kaerri first saw the giants - and it is quite obvious she made no exaggerations. They are just around the corner. A great stormy light is the only source of radiance down here. You see their shadows, massive and muscular, as they chatter in amusement back and forth in their native Giant tongue. For those of you that understand it, it is an old-sounding tongue and nothing quite like what you're used to hearing in Shandra's Evergreen.

Whatever they're up to, you can sense they're playing a game of sorts. The winner is not yet apparent and so the suspense continues.

However, between you and the Storm Lords, at the very bend of the corner, sit three small and very traumatized creatures. Unlike when Kaerri last saw them, the kobolds' eyes are quite wide right now. They shiver together, looking about with great uncertainty and fear. Not one of them spots you.

For Lady Alisa, Paladin of Mielikki, the scene is a little different here. All three of you note that there is one great voice that bellows over the rest, commanding, domineering, laughing. This is undoubtedly their king.

When Alisa hears the voices of his subordinates, it takes no direct line of sight or Sense Evil ability to know that there is taint in their every word. She can sense their evil without even having to look at them.

But not so for the king! The longer she listens, the more she can be convinced. The king of the Storm Lords alone is different from the rest in that Alisa senses no evil in him.

If Alisa wants to be absolutely sure, she will have to get line of sight and use her gift there.

But as for now, there are three little trembling kobolds sitting in the darkness not far from you - and the only light they see belongs to those who would keep them enslaved.

What do you do?

Alisa held off on heading for the kobolds immediately. It was the foolish doe that approached the water hole without checking for any signs of nearby predators. Instead she looked to see if they were bound in some way, or if there was another keeping watch over them.

jaydude jaydude

The Storm Lords cannot hide here. Every last one of them is around the corner where the light is.

The longer Alisa listens, the more she can be convinced that she has never ever known giants quite like these. These Storm Lords are simply not normal Averlundian giants like those she has fought and felled throughout her career as a paladin on the Highwindian frontier.

They seem different not only in their alignment; there is something innately powerful about each of them. They are definitely mightier than the giants she is used to dealing with.

Indeed the kobolds are bound. Alisa is able to note that the three are back-to-back-to-back in an uncomfortable-looking triangle. They have not used their hands which are all behind them. They are barely out of sight of the gaming giants who are not paying attention to them.

Alisa also knows that every kobold has claws. These three don't seem to have the heart to try and use theirs.

As the sneakier members of the group begin their attempt, Aldrin hesitates. looks down the path where danger awaits them, and ponders. He finally suggests: "Let me stay. They might need help long before they can reach the outside. Perhaps I can buy them a moment or two if things turn against them. Nothing lost if all goes well - maybe a life saved if not. I'd take your blessing, since you're so generous to offer." The last words are directed at Mamapaw.

Silanon Silanon Tag!

Proving once again that she is the biggest worrier (not warrior) in the Wayward Wanderers, Mamapaw sets the Maul of the Titans carefully down just long enough to wring her paws and stare with drooping whiskers at the much-smaller Aldrin. Mamapaw cannot help but take a quick glance to see Oreleth's reaction (for separating their fellowship up has never been high on Oreleth's list as far as Mamapaw knows), then those large concern-filled eyes look back to Aldrin.

"I cannot see the wisdom in this. You have the shortest legs among us. These giants must be naturally longer of stride, yet you wish to remain here?" Picking up the hefty maul, the motherly Felane mouths a silent prayer for Aldrin's safety. "I do not have enough time with hobbits. Still, may the Forest Mother's blessings empower you!" Mamapaw lets Mielikki's magic reach out to the hobbit and soon he feels a mild bolstering of confidence stemming from the forest-magic emanating from the Felane Druidess's claw-tips.

Then Mamapaw turns to go with Oreleth and the Wayward Wanderers.

* * *​

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus jaydude jaydude Kaerri Kaerri

Down in the deep tunnels, the Storm Lords continue their odd game while murmuring and grinning at one another. Behind them apparently forgotten, the three kobolds dressed in rags with only small silver pendants about their necks to call their own, the trio cringes and whimpers but dare not stir.

What does the rescue team do?

Last edited:
Proving once again that she is the biggest worrier (not warrior) in the Wayward Wanderers, Mamapaw sets the Maul of the Titans carefully down just long enough to wring her paws and stare with drooping whiskers at the much-smaller Aldrin. Mamapaw cannot help but take a quick glance to see Oreleth's reaction (for separating their fellowship up has never been high on Oreleth's list as far as Mamapaw knows), then those large concern-filled eyes look back to Aldrin.

"I cannot see the wisdom in this. You have the shortest legs among us. These giants must be naturally longer of stride, yet you wish to remain here?" Picking up the hefty maul, the motherly Felane mouths a silent prayer for Aldrin's safety. "I do not have enough time with hobbits. Still, may the Forest Mother's blessings empower you!" Mamapaw lets Mielikki's magic reach out to the hobbit and soon he feels a mild bolstering of confidence stemming from the forest-magic emanating from the Felane Druidess's claw-tips.

Then Mamapaw turns to go with Oreleth and the Wayward Wanderers.
"Thank you for your blessing." The halfling bows his head. "These legs are indeed shorter than most. But that also means that it would take me the longest to assist those further down if necessary. How much good does it do to be at the entrance if those three never make it out on their own? It'd be just a handful against their entire group, then, and we did not dare that venture with them." His thumb points down the path as he says those last words.

Kaerri-by-peritwinkle-sm.png

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet
Hit Points: 99/99
Armor Class: 27
Touch Armor Class: 17
Shadow Illusion: 3/3
Shadow Call: 2/2
Shadow Jump distance: 80/80 feet
Defensive Roll: 1/1
Rogue Talent Resiliency: 1/1
Stinger -- uses of Slow remaining: 3/3
Charm of Bastet -- uses of Cat's Grace remaining: 1/1
Action Points: 14
Kaerri turns to Otiorin and Alisa, her partners in sneaky for the time being. "Right," she says quietly. "I'll go up and get their attention, hopefully without any loud noises involved. Otorin, they've got a thing for silver dragons, and Charmsring in particular, so you can probably convince them we're on their side as well as anyone." She takes a deep breath, then grins at them. "Time to start the fun."

Stealthily (but not invoking her Hide in Plain Sight skill; she's going for silent, not invisible), the shadowdancer approaches the bound kobolds' front. "Don't scream," she whispers. "We're on your side, promise. Nitwit sent us here to rescue you. Your friends back at the village are all safe now. We'll cut your bindings and then we can all sneak out of here to join them, OK?" She looks at Otiorin for assistance.

Kaerri is rolling Stealth to move silently and Deception to convince them that the Wanderers have already rescued the other kobolds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back