• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

    Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Eighteen: In the Shadow of the Maiden of Pain!

Kaerri

Dannigan's Lady
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Kaerri-by-peritwinkle-sm.png

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet
Hit Points: 99/99
Armor Class: 27
Touch Armor Class: 17
Shadow Illusion: 3/3
Shadow Call: 2/2
Shadow Jump distance: 80/80 feet
Defensive Roll: 1/1
Rogue Talent Resiliency: 1/1
Stinger -- uses of Slow remaining: 3/3
Charm of Bastet -- uses of Cat's Grace remaining: 1/1
Action Points: 14
Quite a bit earlier...
Bria smiles at the compliment. "Well, I suppose that's why Kaerri should own a Ring of Warmth. I can sew glamoured clothes that can keep me warm! Which reminds me - Kaerri, do you want me to get started on making you a glamoured dress or outfit? I mean, Luna seems to love hers!" Bria pauses and takes out a worn hairbrush from her pack. Then she just about squeals as she gets to work preparing the half-elf's now-untangled hair. "Huh! There! Now what kind of style would you like it in? I'm loving this - there's sooo much you can do with all this hair now, Kaerri!"
"I've got a miniskirt," Kaerri replied thoughtfully. "But I haven't done much playing around with it, actually. Can I turn that into trousers? If not, then trousers and a top would be great." She grinned. "Well, top would be great either way." She thought for another couple minutes. "Well, I was trying to do one of those knots the nobles do. You know, where it's all coiled up and you can't see the ends, so it's practical, but looks really elegant. Maybe it should be braided first?" She half-turns to give Bria a wry, confused look. "I dunno. Do something neat with it that isn't terribly fancy, and I can pull my hood over it. The hairpin oughta keep it in place whatever you do, right?"

Now...
That is when the real pleading begins! Kaerri knows sounds of genuflecting when she hears them as huge armored knees fall to the earth and great hands pat the floor in repeated bids for mercy while their tongues wag on and on.

Then without warning, Wave sends urgent alarm-filled thoughts into Kaerri's mind. "Mine wielder! Give thought to putting me aside! Mine presence endangers thee!"

What does Kaerri Rainshadow do?
Kaerri keeps her eyes on the hapless kobolds as she listens to the giants' talk. A broad grin spreads over her face -- she knew where those eight were! Not that she would be telling the giants, of course. Wave's alarm startles the smile right off. What -- no, doesn't sound like there's time. Right. She quickly but stealthily moves to the nearest wall. If there's anything to hide the trident behind, she does so; if not, she lays it flat along the corner of floor and cavern wall, then steps a few yards away uncertainly and invokes her "hide in plain sight" ability. This wasn't something she'd encountered before, and she isn't sure what the problem is nor how long she's supposed to "put Wave aside." Her best guess is that there's someone or something with the power to detect the trident and so spoil her sneaking. If that's so, then she oughtn't stand too near; but on the other hand she doesn't like leaving it to be found by whoever happens to come along.
 

Psychie

Princess Psychie
Oreleth keeps her arrow knocked as the rest of the party approaches the cave, knowing that if a fight were to break out, every second wasted in readying her bow could be disaster. She says to the group, "Remember, while we have Kaerri scouting out ahead of us, we still need to be as stealthy as possible so we don't draw down on us an overwhelming amount of enemies all at once. And also keep in mind that we have to succeed in our mission for the sake of the kobolds out there. If we are not successful, they will be the target of retribution from the giants, and no one wants that."
Attacks per Round:
1st - Manyshot (firing two arrows). "To Hit:" +18 (+20 First Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 2d8+12 (+6 Base damage).
2nd - Improved Vital Strike. "To Hit:" +13 (+15 Second Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 3d8+6 (Improved Vital Strike, +6 Base damage).
3rd - Normal Attack. "To Hit:" +8 (+10 Third Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 1d8+6
4th - Rapid Shot Bonus Attack. "To Hit:" +18 (+20 First Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 1d8+6
+1d6 per arrow of either Cold, Fire or Electrical from Arcane Archer class.
-3 to hit/+6 Damage from Deadly Aim

Hit Points: 91 +d10 per level
Action Points: 11 / 11
Bonus Action Point: 1 / 1
Diamond of Fate: 1

Armor Class: 24
CMD: 26
Fort Save: +9
Reflex Save: +13
Will Save: +6 (+11 vs Fear)
Perception: +15

Spells Memorized
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost, Message
1: Shield x2, Shocking Grasp x2, Burning Hands
2: Flaming Sphere, Glitterdust x2, Web
3: Fireball x2
+3 damage to Evoker spells.
 

Sherwood

Luna's Concubine
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Luna gets a little pouty at the thought of having to be quiet, even if she understands the reason why. After all, it is just so much fun to watch baddies blow up in a well-placed Fireball spell, and it is hardly quiet. Well, in all fairness, it can be a stealthy spell if everyone you are trying to hide from is in the blast radius.

But Oreleth is right. While the party can easily deal with a few giants at a time, they don't want to have the whole kit-n-kaboodle of giants to rush out and attack them all at once. The party would be overwhelmed with the sheer numbers of foes. Luna gives the elf warrior woman a nod, saying, "Yes, ma'am. Silent as a mouse."
Level: 13
Class: Wizard
Hit Points: 74 +1d6
Action Points: 11 / 10
Diamond of Fate: 1

Armor Class: 18 - 24 Mage Armor II. +2 from Ring of Force Shield
Touch AC: 14 Flat Footed: 22

Initiative Bonus: 2
Fortitude Save: +6
Reflex Save: +7
Will Save: +16

Base Attack: +6 / +1
Melee: +4 / -1
Ranged: +8 / +3

Extended Mage Armor II active for the next 26 hours

Spells memorized:
Cantrips (4): Mage Hand, Light, Detect Magic, Read Magic
1 (7): Magic Missile x4, Shield x2, Unseen Servant
2 (7): Web x2, Protection From Arrows x2, Glitterdust x2, Scorching Ray
3 (6): Haste x2, Fireball x2, Slow, Lightning Bolt
4 (5): Empowered Scorching Ray x3, Ball Lightning x2
5 (5): Cone of Cold x2, Empowered Fireball x2
6 (4): Chain Lightning
7 (2): Prismatic Spray, Mage Sword

+7 damage to all Evoker spells
 
Last edited:

jaydude

Five Thousand Club
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
"I'm a hunter. I'm used to being quiet." Alisa whispered to Oreleth from the back of the group, following her example and keeping an arrow nocked on her bow.
 

Captain Hesperus

Harbinger of the End Times and Apostle of Ghan
Administrator
Supporter
Otiorin Taletreader

Otiorin's cold fury is abated just as suddenly as it was kindled as Bria threw her slender arms around him. His hands moved automatically to enfold her in his own grasp and he gripped her tightly, unwilling to release her even as he knew he had to. He listened to her words, absorbed them into his mind and thought deeply on them.
"I may no longer have Moonlit Edge or Sunfire Blade, but I'll always have you and I've no plans on letting you slip my grasp.", he replied, lifting her lightly off the ground even as their lips met, "You don't need luck, dearest to my heart, you only need the depth of compassion that springs eternally from your heart. The truth of your love for all life will burn away the despair that has so gripped these poor souls. And, I daresay, once we toss the disembodied heads of the ones responsible for their despair at their feet, the malady will be gone for good. Wait for me, love, I will be back for you."
So saying, he finally released her, took up his weapons once more and moved with his fellow Wanderers into the cave entrance.
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag.
Oreleth keeps her arrow knocked as the rest of the party approaches the cave, knowing that if a fight were to break out, every second wasted in readying her bow could be disaster. She says to the group, "Remember, while we have Kaerri scouting out ahead of us, we still need to be as stealthy as possible so we don't draw down on us an overwhelming amount of enemies all at once. And also keep in mind that we have to succeed in our mission for the sake of the kobolds out there. If we are not successful, they will be the target of retribution from the giants, and no one wants that."

"Yes! For the Kobolds of the Silver Sun!" Mamapaw whispers in a spirited way. Mamapaw lightly shakes her furry body. As she does, her leather armor creaks a little and her gear rattles around just a bit, but not loudly. Noting this with her large curious eyes, she sets about making her gear less noisy. A more-closely tied belt here, a few loose items put away there. Finally, she seems satisfied, with the great Maul of the Titans in her hands.

Then she remembers the words of her son, the maul-master and the foe-blaster, Powerpaw. She performs one good controlled two-handed swing of the ancient legendary weapon and a swath of wind follows it. Mamapaw pauses ("pawses?") and out of curiosity, swings again. Another small rush of wind follows it. It is as if the magic of the massive six-foot hammer is begging to be loosed, but Mamapaw is a wise and patient creature, a Druidess to her core. And so, relieved in her ability to be silent, she rights the maul so that it stands vertically and sets it against the ground beside her.

BOOM! says the ground! The earth trembles ever so slightly, the dirt shakes, and the sound softly echoes all about you. You are sure the sound did not travel far, but when you look back, there is Mamapaw standing so surprised at the maul's power that she has it now lifted up into her arms and cradling it as if it were a small child. "Shh!" she demands of the mighty weapon, but she knows it will not listen, and so she keeps it close to her chest so that it might not make any more unwelcome noise. Powerpaw had not told her of that, she realizes.

* * *​

Quite a bit earlier...

"I've got a miniskirt," Kaerri replied thoughtfully. "But I haven't done much playing around with it, actually. Can I turn that into trousers? If not, then trousers and a top would be great." She grinned. "Well, top would be great either way." She thought for another couple minutes. "Well, I was trying to do one of those knots the nobles do. You know, where it's all coiled up and you can't see the ends, so it's practical, but looks really elegant. Maybe it should be braided first?" She half-turns to give Bria a wry, confused look. "I dunno. Do something neat with it that isn't terribly fancy, and I can pull my hood over it. The hairpin oughta keep it in place whatever you do, right?"

Now...

Kaerri keeps her eyes on the hapless kobolds as she listens to the giants' talk. A broad grin spreads over her face -- she knew where those eight were! Not that she would be telling the giants, of course. Wave's alarm startles the smile right off. What -- no, doesn't sound like there's time. Right. She quickly but stealthily moves to the nearest wall. If there's anything to hide the trident behind, she does so; if not, she lays it flat along the corner of floor and cavern wall, then steps a few yards away uncertainly and invokes her "hide in plain sight" ability. This wasn't something she'd encountered before, and she isn't sure what the problem is nor how long she's supposed to "put Wave aside." Her best guess is that there's someone or something with the power to detect the trident and so spoil her sneaking. If that's so, then she oughtn't stand too near; but on the other hand she doesn't like leaving it to be found by whoever happens to come along.
Earlier...

If the civilized women of Averlund know all the tricks of fashion and style, the Ko monks of the Phoenix Mountain do not count themselves among those gifted many. Clothes are practical first and all other things are secondary. Even to Bria who loves to peer into any shop, try on any hat, and giggle as the women in their shops tease her into not using her magical armor to glamour into this outfit or that at her command. And so, Bria of the Ko tries her best to work with Kaerri's hair to put it into a suitable frame or fashion. Kaerri can feel The Last Healer's gentle hands swooshing through her now-fully-brushed hair, twisting here and gathering there until finally, Bria gives out a long sigh.

"There!" she shows Kaerri to her reflection in the Grand Pool. "How does that look to you, Kaerri?"

Dungeons and Dragons Online NPC hairstyle.jpg
(Image credit: Dungeons & Dragons Online)
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Kaerri Kaerri Tag.
Now...

Kaerri keeps her eyes on the hapless kobolds as she listens to the giants' talk. A broad grin spreads over her face -- she knew where those eight were! Not that she would be telling the giants, of course. Wave's alarm startles the smile right off. What -- no, doesn't sound like there's time. Right. She quickly but stealthily moves to the nearest wall. If there's anything to hide the trident behind, she does so; if not, she lays it flat along the corner of floor and cavern wall, then steps a few yards away uncertainly and invokes her "hide in plain sight" ability. This wasn't something she'd encountered before, and she isn't sure what the problem is nor how long she's supposed to "put Wave aside." Her best guess is that there's someone or something with the power to detect the trident and so spoil her sneaking. If that's so, then she oughtn't stand too near; but on the other hand she doesn't like leaving it to be found by whoever happens to come along.

A breeze drifts past Kaerri from the outside of the cavern, past her and Wave, and into its insides and that thing alone should catch the notice of a Rogue as storied and experienced as she, for winds do not travel so on their own. Not without aid. Not without, perhaps, sorcery of strange kinds.

A few moments pass as Kaerri is herself as shadowy as her namesake there by a wall in the deep dark cavern where there is nothing to hide Wave behind. As she lays it flat and steps away, she hears a great and manly voice speak in the Common tongue, a voice she has just recently heard - the commanding one. The voice sounds... pleased! Pleased and pleasantly surprised. And as he speaks, the other giants go silent, perhaps out of respect, out of curiosity, or mayhap even out of fear.

"Fresh is the breeze... sweet is the taste... and not an ocean as far as I can throw a stone! Waaave!" rolls that great voice. "Ahhh, it can only be you, plucker of mine eye! Does Mareus of Poseidon hold you still? Come forth, wielder of Wave! I would see you with my one good eye and discover why you hide in the dark so! My host and I will not harm you so as long as you do nothing dangerous, so swears King Thund'rous of the Storm Lords!"

And there, Kaerri feels Wave's familiar presence in her mind though they not be touching. "Harken again to me, my wielder. The terrible Storm Lords are fury-filled people whose years fall back through time like droplets of rain in a hurricane. Mind closely, mine wielder, that these be storm giants but not of the good-hearted variety, but blood-lusting raiders! Berserkers! Reavers all! They live from one battle to the next and cannot die peacefully. This ancient blood-stained tyrant is as old as any foe that I have ever faced that still remains alive. His word can be trusted even if his fellows cannot. Stand forth or speak from the shadows or make away as you will." Wave adds. "Leave me not here for them to find me or you will sooner see an empty sea before you see me again!"

Eris returns from wherever she came ahead of Kaerri. There in the blackness, Kaerri's shadow whispers to her heavily laden with doubts and caution. "By my incorporeal ass, Kaerri, there has got be at least a dozen storm giants in there. All well-armed and armored. You walk in there, you might not walk out."

What does Kaerri do?
 
Last edited:

Kaerri

Dannigan's Lady
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Earlier...

If the civilized women of Averlund know all the tricks of fashion and style, the Ko monks of the Phoenix Mountain do not count themselves among those gifted many. Clothes are practical first and all other things are secondary. Even to Bria who loves to peer into any shop, try on any hat, and giggle as the women in their shops tease her into not using her magical armor to glamour into this outfit or that at her command. And so, Bria of the Ko tries her best to work with Kaerri's hair to put it into a suitable frame or fashion. Kaerri can feel The Last Healer's gentle hands swooshing through her now-fully-brushed hair, twisting here and gathering there until finally, Bria gives out a long sigh.

"There!" she shows Kaerri to her reflection in the Grand Pool. "How does that look to you, Kaerri?"

Kaerri tilts and turns her head to look at her reflection. The motion sends her ponytail slithering forward over her shoulder, and she grins. "I like it! Thanks, Bria!" She still wants to try the noblewomen's style she'd attempted earlier herself (maybe Lady Beatrice could help there?), but this seems rather more suited to her own personality. She flicks her head back and forth a few times, the ponytail obligingly whishing over and around her shoulders. Yep. This one is good!

Kaerri Kaerri Tag.


A breeze drifts past Kaerri from the outside of the cavern, past her and Wave, and into its insides and that thing alone should catch the notice of a Rogue as storied and experienced as she, for winds do not travel so on their own. Not without aid. Not without, perhaps, sorcery of strange kinds.

A few moments pass as Kaerri is herself as shadowy as her namesake there by a wall in the deep dark cavern where there is nothing to hide Wave behind. As she lays it flat and steps away, she hears a great and manly voice speak in the Common tongue, a voice she has just recently heard - the commanding one. The voice sounds... pleased! Pleased and pleasantly surprised. And as he speaks, the other giants go silent, perhaps out of respect, out of curiosity, or mayhap even out of fear.

"Fresh is the breeze... sweet is the taste... and not an ocean as far as I can throw a stone! Waaave!" rolls that great voice. "Ahhh, it can only be you, plucker of mine eye! Does Mareus of Poseidon hold you still? Come forth, wielder of Wave! I would see you with my one good eye and discover why you hide in the dark so! My host and I will not harm you so as long as you do nothing dangerous, so swears King Thund'rous of the Storm Lords!"

And there, Kaerri feels Wave's familiar presence in her mind though they not be touching. "Harken again to me, my wielder. The terrible Storm Lords are fury-filled people whose years fall back through time like droplets of rain in a hurricane. Mind closely, mine wielder, that these be storm giants but not of the good-hearted variety, but blood-lusting raiders! Berserkers! Reavers all! They live from one battle to the next and cannot die peacefully. This ancient blood-stained tyrant is as old as any foe that I have ever faced that still remains alive. His word can be trusted even if his fellows cannot. Stand forth or speak from the shadows or make away as you will." Wave adds. "Leave me not here for them to find me or you will sooner see an empty sea before you see me again!"

Eris returns from wherever she came ahead of Kaerri. There in the blackness, Kaerri's shadow whispers to her heavily laden with doubts and caution. "By my incorporeal ass, Kaerri, there has got be at least a dozen storm giants in there. All well-armed and armored. You walk in there, you might not walk out."

What does Kaerri do?
Run away! is her first thought. Her second is, might she learn anything by conversing? She trusts Wave, and if Wave says she can take their leader's word, that's good enough. From the little she's seen so far, he's got his followers well handled. Her third thought is, whether she learns something or not, it will be pretty tough to convey it to the party before they arrive, and probably at least as tough to get herself away without a fight. Twelve storm giants are going be bad enough for the whole party. By herself, with them knowing she's there, knowing at least something about her primary melee weapon, and expecting her to come in? Not the kind of odds this rogue likes. Silently she scoops up Wave again and heads for the cave entrance as quickly as stealth permits. Time to report in.
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Kaerri Kaerri Tag!

As Kaerri makes away, she hears the droned invitation come once again. Then there is the sound of soft laughter - disappointed laughter and then naught. Wave says nothing and neither does Eris though the latter seems to give a deep sigh of relief.

It takes what feels like scant moments before Kaerri sees her fellow Wayward Wanderers again. They don't spot her nor hear her ever-stealthy footfalls, but there they are looking alert and intrepid here in these lightless caves. As Kaerri makes herself known, she sees Mamapaw with the Girdle of True Frost Giant Strength about her furry waist the Maul of the Titans grasped firmly in her motherly paws.

"Oooh!" Mamapaw's whiskers and ears rise. Her long furry tail swishes excitedly. "There you are, Bastet be blessed!" Then Mamapaw has that look on her face that so many who don't know Kaerri well - surprise that they never saw nor heard nor otherwise sensed the ShadowDancer's coming. It is a realization both welcome and a little unsettling, but for Powerpaw's mother at least, far more the former!

"Daughter of two worlds," she says referring to Kaerri's half-elf nature, "Are you all right? Oh. And... your hair is pretty!"
 

Kaerri

Dannigan's Lady
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Kaerri-by-peritwinkle-sm.png

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet
Hit Points: 99/99
Armor Class: 27
Touch Armor Class: 17
Shadow Illusion: 3/3
Shadow Call: 2/2
Shadow Jump distance: 80/80 feet
Defensive Roll: 1/1
Rogue Talent Resiliency: 1/1
Stinger -- uses of Slow remaining: 3/3
Charm of Bastet -- uses of Cat's Grace remaining: 1/1
Action Points: 14
When she's a dozen yards away or so, Kaerri begins to let her footsteps be audible, if still soft, and leaves the shadows so the party can see her approach. She offers them a little wave and a small grin. "I'm fine, thanks," she replies to Mamapaw. "But we've got heavy trouble in there. At least a dozen Storm Giants in there, and not the play-nice kind. Their leader's called, or calls himself, King Thund'rous of the Storm Lords. He's only got one eye, but he seems to have the rest pretty well dancing to his tune. Seems he's been around for a long while and probably has a fair bit of experience with adventurers." She grimaces. "The last wielder of Wave, specifically. I don't know how, but some bit of magic called the breeze past me into where the giants were, and he smelled Wave on it. Issued an invite with a safe-conduct pass, but I didn't think it'd be a good idea to go into that den alone, even if his followers stuck to his word, and anyway I didn't care to give him any more info than he already had."
 

Psychie

Princess Psychie
Oreleth raises up an eyebrow. "That is a whole lot of giants to try and deal with. You say that there is at least a dozen? I don't know if we can handle that many at once. Unless . . . Luna? You were able to toast a whole bunch of those ogres earlier with your Chain Lightning spell. Could the same spell work on these guys? Maybe if you turned it into fire, so there is no chance of these storm giants being resistant to the lightning damage, assuming that they are at all. Another option is to try and lure some of them out, a few at a time, and deal with them that way. I certainly do not want to risk our lives by going out and having a nice cup of tea with this King of the Storm Lords. I trust that offer as far as I can throw one of these giants bare handed."
Attacks per Round:
1st - Manyshot (firing two arrows). "To Hit:" +18 (+20 First Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 2d8+12 (+6 Base damage).
2nd - Improved Vital Strike. "To Hit:" +13 (+15 Second Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 3d8+6 (Improved Vital Strike, +6 Base damage).
3rd - Normal Attack. "To Hit:" +8 (+10 Third Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 1d8+6
4th - Rapid Shot Bonus Attack. "To Hit:" +18 (+20 First Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 1d8+6
+1d6 per arrow of either Cold, Fire or Electrical from Arcane Archer class.
-3 to hit/+6 Damage from Deadly Aim

Hit Points: 91 +d10 per level
Action Points: 11 / 11
Bonus Action Point: 1 / 1
Diamond of Fate: 1

Armor Class: 24
CMD: 26
Fort Save: +9
Reflex Save: +13
Will Save: +6 (+11 vs Fear)
Perception: +15

Spells Memorized
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost, Message
1: Shield x2, Shocking Grasp x2, Burning Hands
2: Flaming Sphere, Glitterdust x2, Web
3: Fireball x2
+3 damage to Evoker spells.
 

Sherwood

Luna's Concubine
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Luna thinks for a moment, then says, "I have one of my Chain Lightning spells ready to go, but I can all but guarantee that it will not be enough to take down the giants. But it will certainly leave a mark on them, making it much easier for us to finish them off. After what these jerks did to those poor kobolds, it will be a pleasure to dish out some hurt on them."
Level: 13
Class: Wizard
Hit Points: 74 +1d6
Action Points: 11 / 10
Diamond of Fate: 1

Armor Class: 18 - 24 Mage Armor II. +2 from Ring of Force Shield
Touch AC: 14 Flat Footed: 22

Initiative Bonus: 2
Fortitude Save: +6
Reflex Save: +7
Will Save: +16

Base Attack: +6 / +1
Melee: +4 / -1
Ranged: +8 / +3

Extended Mage Armor II active for the next 26 hours

Spells memorized:
Cantrips (4): Mage Hand, Light, Detect Magic, Read Magic
1 (7): Magic Missile x4, Shield x2, Unseen Servant
2 (7): Web x2, Protection From Arrows x2, Glitterdust x2, Scorching Ray
3 (6): Haste x2, Fireball x2, Slow, Lightning Bolt
4 (5): Empowered Scorching Ray x3, Ball Lightning x2
5 (5): Cone of Cold x2, Empowered Fireball x2
6 (4): Chain Lightning
7 (2): Prismatic Spray, Mage Sword

+7 damage to all Evoker spells
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Silanon Silanon Tag!

(Part 1 of 2 - The Wayward Wanderers in the Tall Tunnels near the remains of the village of the Kobolds of the Silver Sun)

"The last wielder of Wave, specifically.

The six-foot trident of Olympus-gold and sea-algae-green glows faintly and speaks aloud to Kaerri so that all might hear. His voice, however, is somewhat hushed inside the caverns that tower over you and walls that far and wide. "Nay, my wielder. Mareus Courageous of Auremia, the mighty High Priest of Poseidon was not the last to wield me. This was Buma the Minotaur, a great warrior of even greater heart. T'was High Priest Mareus who, in single combat, stabbed out the eye of King Thund'rous. The tale is now legend among Storm Lords and smaller folk alike during a time when two realms crossed - the lands of high Olympus and the hoary forests of Pahjola."

Mamapaw eyes Wave's glowing tines warily. Speaking with a voice none too loud, the Felane Druidess leans down and asks of all of you with a worried face. "What are we to do? If we approach as a force, we might be greeted as a force! If we leave them alone, then how do we break their hold on the Kobolds of the Silver Sun and free them?" Mamapaw looks to Oreleth especially for answer.
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
(Part 2 of 2 - Aldrin Whitehair, Oracle of Highwind, in... um... a spot only the gods know!)

Stuffed in a hole.

As much as hobbits like to call holes homes, it can be the oddest feeling to wake up in one, especially one that is not your own! Most hobbits would feel unwelcome to say the least. But... Aldrin Whitehair is as far from being a typical hobbit as his circumstances will show.

Aldrin wakes, surrounded by darkness, feeling stuffed in some place with rock and dirt all around. There is a fuzziness in his head as he wakes from what feels like an unnatural sleep... and then... memory returns to the Oracle!

Aldrin remembers being lost in Shandra's Evergreen somewhere far on its eastern edge with the mountain-city Highwind far to his west. There was mention among his fellow folk in Hobbitcrest that adventurers had returned from somewhere in the eastern side of the Evergreen with small artifacts that none could place. None but the Mielikkians, as things would have it. These simple artifacts belonged to a god who once roamed Sharseya, specifically the continent of Averlund, spreading protection for those who called the woodlands home and never did anyone under his charge suffer from hunger long nor did they have cause to fear the beasts of the forest. This was Tapio, the Forest Lord. With his longbow and great stride, the green-bearded god and the true love of Mielikki did much good on his short time on Sharseya. This was until the gods of evil found ways to ursurp his forest temples and eventually evict him from Sharseya altogether. It is said that Mielikki has not been the same since.

Such tales are the source of many adventures and so why not investigate? Listening to feelings only he can feel and following guides only he appears to be aware of, the smallest Oracle of Highwind set out only to get separated from his caravan, lost during a deluge-tossed night, and wet and miserable only to find himself surrounded by a dozen spear and net-carrying bunch of purple and red-scaled kobolds.

Kobolds! Were these not denizens of the Underdark? Slaves of deep masters with biting whips and driven by diabolic hate and mischief? Aldrin at first felt he had much to fear for kobolds in the many were not a thing to be underestimated. But instead of throwing nets on him and attacking with head-ringing sling-stones and biting spears... they helped him! They introduced themselves as the Tribe of the Silver Sun! Each wore with great pride a simple silver amulet that they said would glow in the presence of true dragons and it was with them that they would find, not Tiamat the Backstabber, but another draconic god entirely to devote themselves to. Preferably a good-aligned dragon!

Such a thing had never before reached Aldrin's ears. But, soggy and hungry, the kobolds did indeed take him in with their lisping talk in the Common tongue and their attempts at good-natured civility towards a race they had apparently never met.

Aldrin had only spent a few hours in their company. It was enough to learn that they were new to the above-world with its wide-open skies and towering trees, rushing rivers, and distant seemingly-impossibly-tall mountains. They knew nothing about Tapio, husband of Mielikki. They had just made progress on building their very first village above-ground! It was a place they were proud of!

And then the storms came. Suddenly and seemingly out of nowhere, dark clouds gathered, booming thunder crashed, and soon the evening was darker than the blackest night except for the terrible lightning flashes that fell from the sky! Out of those clouds came heavy, booming voices and the chieftain's first edict was to get everyone, Aldrin included, to safety while the rest of the tribe tried to prepare for the worst!

Unfortunately for them, the worst came. Aldrin saw incredibly-large humanoid shapes descend from the very heavens! They wore well-used chain-link armor and plate to protect their bodies and in their hands, they carried weapons the size of hobbit-bridges! Bearded roaring faces came crashing down as the kobolds grabbed Aldrin, hurried him into a cave, stuffed him into some hole and cried, "Don't come out until it isss sssafe!" and "Charmsring protect you!"

Also unfortunately, they stuffed Aldrin a little too hard and that resulted in his poor noggin getting dashed against a low ceiling and... that was it! Lights out!

Now? Aldrin wakes groggily feeling stone hard ground beneath and all around him. He can't see a thing but he can hear... voices? Not kobolds and not... whatever in the heavens came out of the skies... but... something else! There was no room to turn around or even reach inside of his pack. Blindly, Aldrin finds his trusty spiked gauntlet still attached to his wrist which is thankfully still attached to his body. It can provide him Light on Command. But does he use it? Or does he act in another way?

One thing was for certain - the Powers That Be provided no warning whatsoever to this disaster, and yet somehow, someway, here Aldrin was - alive, whole, and... of course being a hobbit... hungry!

What does Aldrin do?
 

Kaerri

Dannigan's Lady
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Kaerri-by-peritwinkle-sm.png

Art by Peritwinkle
Character sheet
Hit Points: 99/99
Armor Class: 27
Touch Armor Class: 17
Shadow Illusion: 3/3
Shadow Call: 2/2
Shadow Jump distance: 80/80 feet
Defensive Roll: 1/1
Rogue Talent Resiliency: 1/1
Stinger -- uses of Slow remaining: 3/3
Charm of Bastet -- uses of Cat's Grace remaining: 1/1
Action Points: 14
"Nay, my wielder.
"A former wielder, then," Kaerri accepts the correction, but isn't completely comfortable with the comparison she's making of herself to those other two wielders. A great warrior or a mighty high priest would be pretty useful just now.

What are we to do?
Kaerri also looks to Oreleth, but offers a suggestion instead of repeating the question. "Er, well, I did sort of get invited in. If you guys sneak along behind, I could use myself as a distraction, and maybe see what else we can learn about them. Or just to catch them off-guard when the rest of you turn up. I sort of doubt they're gonna change their ways at this point, but I could try to see why they're doing their thing here and now, at least?"
 

Silanon

Four Thousand Club
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hunger. Of course there is hunger as he awakens. But it's not the same, mundane hunger that most of his kind worry about - the hunger of a missed meal or two. Well, not only that hunger, at the very least. No, this is more than that. The hunger for purpose that he seems to have, but could not name, at this point. And, more relevant in this immediate moment, the hunger for answers to too many open questions. The rumors? Strange. Getting lost like that? Stranger still, though not as uncommon as for most of his folks. Be on the road long and often enough, and those kind of things will eventually happen. Especially if fate finds a liking to intervene - and well, it does that quite often, in his case. It goes both ways. He changes the fates of others, where he can. And in turn, his own fate turns and twists towards the closest danger. Or that's what it feels like, from time to time. Like last night, or whenever-it-was. Hard to tell, in here. And now. There's a part missing, and his head reminds him why. Damn pain. But it could be worse. A lot worse, from what little he recalls. If the kobolds that found him were weird, and unexpected - then what the hell was it that followed? Without warning, nonetheless; he is not one to get caught off-guard easily, especially not when danger is headed his way. But whatever happened - it came out of nowhere, for him...

But enough. This white-haired head does not like this pondering and wondering. Overwhelmed by pain, and irritation, and the whole mess, it seeks simplicity. It will find answers, given time, and time comes, most importantly, with survival. He tries to calm himself, to focus. On the voices. Can he understand more, or at least guess how close they are? He is gifted in different ways, and some of those gifts require words. If they are close enough to hear, then he might as well call forth the gauntlet's light and hope that they are either friendly, or cursed with blindness. If they are farther away though, and simply speak loudly - then there might be safer options, potentially.
 

Psychie

Princess Psychie
Kaerri also looks to Oreleth, but offers a suggestion instead of repeating the question. "Er, well, I did sort of get invited in. If you guys sneak along behind, I could use myself as a distraction, and maybe see what else we can learn about them. Or just to catch them off-guard when the rest of you turn up. I sort of doubt they're gonna change their ways at this point, but I could try to see why they're doing their thing here and now, at least?"
Oreleth looks dubious. "Well, how well can we trust the words of these giants? For all we know, it is an effort to get you to go out there and reveal yourself for them to stomp you into squishy paste between their toes." She thinks for a moment, then says with a sigh, "If things go bad, can you hold out long enough for us to get in range to jump in the fray? I will not lose you to these giants."
 

Kaerri

Dannigan's Lady
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Kaerri shrugs, but in truth she's touched by Oreleth's concern. "Wave says I can trust their leader's word, at least, so unless there's a mutiny I should be safe enough at the start. And if things go too bad too quick, I should be able at least to run for it pretty well. Yeah, I think I can hold out long enough -- 'specially since the most of you have a pretty far range to jump in with." She winks at Oreleth's bow. "Still, it's a risk, for sure. So if anyone else has a better plan, now's the time."
 

Sherwood

Luna's Concubine
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Luna frowns, then says, "After what those giants did to the poor kobolds out there, you are still willing to trust their word? Hmm. Ok then. I think it's a bad idea, but I'll support you in this in any way I can. Perhaps I can cast a Protection from Arrows spell on you, just in case they try to use some missile weapons on you. It might save your life. Other than that, I don't have too many defensive spells that will work on others, I'm sorry. Do you want the one cast on you, though?"
Level: 13
Class: Wizard
Hit Points: 74 +1d6
Action Points: 11 / 10
Diamond of Fate: 1

Armor Class: 18 - 24 Mage Armor II. +2 from Ring of Force Shield
Touch AC: 14 Flat Footed: 22

Initiative Bonus: 2
Fortitude Save: +6
Reflex Save: +7
Will Save: +16

Base Attack: +6 / +1
Melee: +4 / -1
Ranged: +8 / +3

Extended Mage Armor II active for the next 26 hours

Spells memorized:
Cantrips (4): Mage Hand, Light, Detect Magic, Read Magic
1 (7): Magic Missile x4, Shield x2, Unseen Servant
2 (7): Web x2, Protection From Arrows x2, Glitterdust x2, Scorching Ray
3 (6): Haste x2, Fireball x2, Slow, Lightning Bolt
4 (5): Empowered Scorching Ray x3, Ball Lightning x2
5 (5): Cone of Cold x2, Empowered Fireball x2
6 (4): Chain Lightning
7 (2): Prismatic Spray, Mage Sword

+7 damage to all Evoker spells
 

Captain Hesperus

Harbinger of the End Times and Apostle of Ghan
Administrator
Supporter
Otiorin Taletreader

Otiorin listened to the tale Wave told of wielders past and smiled at the reverence the mystical trident regarded them with. He hoped that Moonlit Edge thought of him so fondly, but he rather doubted that she even remembered him now that she was twinned with the Sunfire Blade and restored to her true master.
"I have some rings of protection, should you have need.", he offered, presenting the Ring of Force Shield and Ring of Mind Shielding for her to see., "Though they might not be proof against a concerted giant's attentions."
He had not personally fought giants, but he had heard tales of others who had. Maintain distance for their reach is long and their strides longer, use bows and spells to wear them down. If you must close, strike at their vitals, eyes, throats, hamstrings and wrists. Rob them of their vision, their breath, their legs and their hands. His stout heart faltered briefly at the memory of those unfortunate to be caught in the clutches of angry giants. Crushed in mighty fists, torn limb-from-limb and consumed alive, mangled by uncaring teeth and swallowed half-dead.
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri Tag!

(Part 1 of 2) - Kaerri Rainshadow

Before Kaerri departs, she has had two offers of assistance from her fellows:

1. Does Kaerri wish to take up Luna on her offer of her Protection from Arrows spell? If memory serves, Kaerri has limited interaction with this spell and thus must either draw upon her own education (in the form of Skill rolls) or ask the Wizardess herself any details she might want to know.

2. How about Mamapaw and her Pass Without Trace spell? Kaerri, having a Mielikkian Cleric for a sister and being raised in the Forest Eternal for most of her life, knows this extremely common and oft-used spell so well that she's done just about everything but cast it herself. It is the way of Correllon's woodland children to drift through His forests like the ghosts of past and present. That's what Pass Without Trace does best. As a result of the background her Player selected long ago, Kaerri knows these details in-character.

Something I want to add that I feel Kaerri would know that her Player might not recall; Mamapaw and Powerpaw are Felane and thus require 2 Levels in Monster to be what they are. If Mamapaw is a 13th-level Character, she is thus an 11th level (not 13th level) Druidess. As such, Mamapaw's spell, if Kaerri desires it, will last for 11 hours.

Kaerri along with Wave and Eris makes her way back down the cool, tall tunnels and away from her fellows that she might again operate alone where she often excels. The darkness drapes about her like an old friend while the dust, pebbles, and shattered stones left by the passage of the giants somehow seem to utter less noise as Kaerri's feet lightly trod over them. Indeed, it is as if Kaerri is part-shadow, part-Wood Elf in such times for most other creatures would be crunching and crackling their way down the tunnel (ALL the way down the tunnel!). But an expert Rogue? And an expert Shadowdancer to boot? Plus the familiar boots that cover those feet so well?

Kaerri hardly hears her own steps as she sneaks through the tunnels.

As she closes the distance, she hears them. Though their voices are low, the murmurs of the Storm Lords could be heard far off by a commoner at the range Kaerri has now crossed.

"--as my witness, I will have him!" she hears. It is the voice of the one who called to her. His speech in Giant is old like forgotten ruins. "If I cannot have his god, then he shall suffer in his stead!"

"Aye!" chorus many grim voices.

Then the familiar voice of Wave flows effortlessly into Kaerri's mind because she wills it. Wave's practice of grim moods and tones make these giants out to be amateurs. If ever Posiedon made a skeptic in the form of an item, it would be called Wave. Here, dripping through the mental avenues of Kaerri's brain, he sounds curious. "Intriguing, my wielder. I know not of whom King Thun'drous speaks. Whomever he has targeted is as good as doomed for King Thun'drous, when set upon a goal, ne'er goes back on his word and only the most-solid of reasoning has a chance at making him see differently. Remember this if you would be wise."

Kaerri can now see their shadows. She has returned to the zombie-like stares of the three kobolds - the same three - that look out towards her but will sooner see one of their own kin outside before they spot The Last Resort's Shadow in the Rain. But still, they try. They try. Beyond them, the beginnings of shadows the like mortal beings from the continent of Averlund should not see. Yet here they are. There is the jingle of armor and the chink and rustling of harnesses as the Storm Lords go about their business. The only light is smokeless. Flameless. Indeed, some strange illumination colors the dark and gray caverns with a wicked blue-white like that resembles the glimmering eye-catching frosts of the Frozen North here on Sharseya.

Kaerri is 30 feet away from the nearest kobold. She is forlorn, beyond desperate, beyond hope. Kaerri can see it in her youthful reptilian face. But she will never see Poseidon's strangest Half-elven worshipper unless Kaerri herself wills it and Kaerri knows it.

Due to the conditions - and by that, I mean all of the conditions in place, these three kobolds couldn't spot Kaerri even if they rolled a Natural 20. Kaerri would literally have to reveal herself to the likes of these deep-dwelling denizens, despite their darkvision.

The giants themselves are around a bend 100 feet away. The nearest of them is about 150 feet from where Kaerri skulks now.

What does Kaerri Rainshadow do?
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Kaerri Kaerri (I know you read all of my posts when I'm running a game, but this one involves Kaerri too!)

(Part 2 of 2) - The Wayward Wanderers... and their guests (Alisa and.... ?)

Mamapaw paces. Her large, furry feet pad about, softly and quietly, but they pace back and forth as the lack of something to do brings out the worried mother in her. But that's just where it begins. =)

Some time passes, enough for Kaerri Rainshadow to be gone for a bit. Say, a few minutes. None of you hear a thing from down deeper into the tunnels or from their opening above you and out into fresh air. There is nothing to look at but broken natural stones and a few small forming stalagmites growing from the ground.

But then the ground itself suddenly has something to say!

For those of you whose characters have several months or more in Highwind (you know who you are), what happens next is not a terrific surprise, but nothing to brush off either. For those of you who don't... this... is... new! Even to well-traveled Oreleth!

One moment, the Wayward Wanderers plus Alisa are quietly watching the tunnel and each other. The next moment... the shaking begins. The sound of rumbling can be heard everywhere! The few stalagmites wobble back and forth. YOU wobble back and forth! Soon, you are stumbling about as if you were drunk... without the good part of being drunk! Some of you suddenly have real solid reason to doubt your senses! Is this an illusion? Is this really... AN EARTHQUAKE?!

To those like Alisa... yes it is. But it's only a minor tremor. After all, the City of Highwind does sit atop a small mountain range. From time to time, the earth underneath Averlund's Strangest City gets a'rocking. Alisa, being from Highwind, knows that she's already underground. This is about as protected as one could ask for. Alisa knows from direct firsthand experience that one should expect smaller aftershocks between now and the next couple days or so.

This shaking lasts for about 10 very, very long seconds.

And then it leaves! The world remains. Lots of dust in some parts of the tunnel you're in come loose. Bits of small stones tumble about.

How each of your characters reacts to this "gods shaking the planet moment" is, of course, up to each of you!

From Kaerri's position, the Storm Lords literally pause in their conversation for a moment while the kobolds hit the deck and do not move. Then before it is over, both parties continue as they were. It's kind of like as if they are thinking, "Well, the ground didn't open up and swallow anybody, so what's to worry about? Back to life!"

From the Wayward Wanderers' plus Alisa however... things are a weeeeee biiit different!

See, from all of the shaking and tossing about and loosening of stones and dirt and so forth, something, or rather someone, gets entirely dislodged from his hiding place and finds himself in an immediate free fall! This would be a great time for a Feather Fall spell! However, along with this, at least for hobbit Aldrin Whitehair, is a faint but very reassuring feeling that he really has nothing to worry about right now. Yes, the world has decided to do its "happy dance" as some of the hobbits in Highwind like to call it, and now it's over. And now Aldrin is falling. And something is telling him... that it's just fine. Any time spent panicking is... well... wasted.

Oreleth is graceful enough to keep her balance through all of this. Mamapaw too plus her size and natural cat-mind for balance helps her. Luna? The poor Wizardess gets tossed back and forth and miraculously manages not to eat a kingly feast of rock and dust face-first! This earns a "Well done, Pyri!" from Sparkle who also is saved from a stone dinner.

It is Alisa who receives the faintest of feelings to look up. Right now. Yes. NOW. And being the person of faith that Alisa is - and do you know any people of faith who don't look up at the heavens and stars at least once in awhile? - Alisa looks up.

Just in time to see and reflexively catch a gnome-sized, perhaps hobbit-sized, perhaps large-human-child-sized... something! The person literally lands in Alisa's arms (unless Alisa's Player says Alisa is not doing any catching this scene. Up to you!) with a hearty THUMP! And not a splat. =)

There are those rare days that saving someone's skin as a Paladin just couldn't be easier and this proves to be one of them. =)

Mamapaw sees this. All of the Wayward Wanderers do. However... (as far as I know) Mamapaw is the only parent in the group and a naturaly-born mother at that. The very moment she sees something in cloth with flailing hands and feet and a shock of dusty white hair fall seemingly out of nowhere, she (perhaps like some of you) goes running for it. But all of you are too late or too stumbly or whatnot and Alisa just happens to be in the right place at the right time.

So she is the first to see that she's caught somebody by the chest (she is looking down at Aldrin's back). Hobbits don't need to wear shoes and so their feet, at least to a Highwindian, are 100% unmistakable as hobbit-feet. "As rare as a hobbit cobbler" is a Highwindian saying (with the added meaning that something present is not needed). So here's Alisa with this breathless hobbit in her arms when Mamapaw runs up on all fours, stands up straight, clasps her forepaws together and stares down at human Alisa with her small earthquake-provided present!

"Oh!" Mamapaw of Bastet and Mielikki, Felane-of-Shamballah-which-is-in-far-off-Rhumia-where-things-go-by-completely-different-rules-and-methods-than-in-Averlund runs up and says (and I kid you not!):

"Alisa! Look! A baby from the... ceiling! A gift from the gods? Has Mielikki blessed you this day? Does this mean that you are a mother too?"
Immediately, because of the background Alisa's Player has chosen, Alisa knows it happens all too often in Highwind that hobbits, at least from afar or if disguised, are often mistaken for human children. Not Dwarven, certainly not Minotaur or Wemic - human. And now

Mamapaw seems convinced that Alisa has somehow just been given a child.

All Aldrin knows is that his fall has been stopped by arms that don't belong to him. There is dust in his eyes, he can feel it in his hair and on his clothes, and he is facing downward, gear and all. But hey! He didn't splat! The feelings were right again!

At least the Wayward Wanderers aren't likely to be bored now though! Right? Hah!

What do the Wayward Wanderers plus Alisa plus Aldrin do now?! =)
 
Last edited:

Psychie

Princess Psychie
Oreleth raises up an eyebrow as she slowly turns to examine the small figure in Alisa's arms. She quips, "As a young girl, my mother once told me that babies were delivered by a stork carrying them from wherever they come from. I haven't believed that in years, so please pardon me if I am a bit surprised to see it in person for real! Alisa, what do you have there?"
Attacks per Round:
1st - Manyshot (firing two arrows). "To Hit:" +18 (+20 First Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 2d8+12 (+6 Base damage).
2nd - Improved Vital Strike. "To Hit:" +13 (+15 Second Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 3d8+6 (Improved Vital Strike, +6 Base damage).
3rd - Normal Attack. "To Hit:" +8 (+10 Third Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 1d8+6
4th - Rapid Shot Bonus Attack. "To Hit:" +18 (+20 First Attack, -2 Rapid Shot). Damage: 1d8+6
+1d6 per arrow of either Cold, Fire or Electrical from Arcane Archer class.
-3 to hit/+6 Damage from Deadly Aim

Hit Points: 91 +d10 per level
Action Points: 11 / 11
Bonus Action Point: 1 / 1
Diamond of Fate: 1

Armor Class: 24
CMD: 26
Fort Save: +9
Reflex Save: +13
Will Save: +6 (+11 vs Fear)
Perception: +15

Spells Memorized
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost, Message
1: Shield x2, Shocking Grasp x2, Burning Hands
2: Flaming Sphere, Glitterdust x2, Web
3: Fireball x2
+3 damage to Evoker spells.
 

jaydude

Five Thousand Club
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Kaerri Kaerri (I know you read all of my posts when I'm running a game, but this one involves Kaerri too!)

(Part 2 of 2) - The Wayward Wanderers... and their guests (Alisa and.... ?)

Mamapaw paces. Her large, furry feet pad about, softly and quietly, but they pace back and forth as the lack of something to do brings out the worried mother in her. But that's just where it begins. =)

Some time passes, enough for Kaerri Rainshadow to be gone for a bit. Say, a few minutes. None of you hear a thing from down deeper into the tunnels or from their opening above you and out into fresh air. There is nothing to look at but broken natural stones and a few small forming stalagmites growing from the ground.

But then the ground itself suddenly has something to say!

For those of you whose characters have several months or more in Highwind (you know who you are), what happens next is not a terrific surprise, but nothing to brush off either. For those of you who don't... this... is... new! Even to well-traveled Oreleth!

One moment, the Wayward Wanderers plus Alisa are quietly watching the tunnel and each other. The next moment... the shaking begins. The sound of rumbling can be heard everywhere! The few stalagmites wobble back and forth. YOU wobble back and forth! Soon, you are stumbling about as if you were drunk... without the good part of being drunk! Some of you suddenly have real solid reason to doubt your senses! Is this an illusion? Is this really... AN EARTHQUAKE?!

To those like Alisa... yes it is. But it's only a minor tremor. After all, the City of Highwind does sit atop a small mountain range. From time to time, the earth underneath Averlund's Strangest City gets a'rocking. Alisa, being from Highwind, knows that she's already underground. This is about as protected as one could ask for. Alisa knows from direct firsthand experience that one should expect smaller aftershocks between now and the next couple days or so.

This shaking lasts for about 10 very, very long seconds.

And then it leaves! The world remains. Lots of dust in some parts of the tunnel you're in come loose. Bits of small stones tumble about.

How each of your characters reacts to this "gods shaking the planet moment" is, of course, up to each of you!
Being a longtime Highwind local, Alisa only reacted to the earthquake with mild irritation, what with having to stumble about to stay on her feet in the midst of the shaking. In truth, she was more testy about being underground in the first place, being a creature of the woodland and all that.

From Kaerri's position, the Storm Lords literally pause in their conversation for a moment while the kobolds hit the deck and do not move. Then before it is over, both parties continue as they were. It's kind of like as if they are thinking, "Well, the ground didn't open up and swallow anybody, so what's to worry about? Back to life!"

From the Wayward Wanderers' plus Alisa however... things are a weeeeee biiit different!

See, from all of the shaking and tossing about and loosening of stones and dirt and so forth, something, or rather someone, gets entirely dislodged from his hiding place and finds himself in an immediate free fall! This would be a great time for a Feather Fall spell! However, along with this, at least for hobbit Aldrin Whitehair, is a faint but very reassuring feeling that he really has nothing to worry about right now. Yes, the world has decided to do its "happy dance" as some of the hobbits in Highwind like to call it, and now it's over. And now Aldrin is falling. And something is telling him... that it's just fine. Any time spent panicking is... well... wasted.

Oreleth is graceful enough to keep her balance through all of this. Mamapaw too plus her size and natural cat-mind for balance helps her. Luna? The poor Wizardess gets tossed back and forth and miraculously manages not to eat a kingly feast of rock and dust face-first! This earns a "Well done, Pyri!" from Sparkle who also is saved from a stone dinner.

It is Alisa who receives the faintest of feelings to look up. Right now. Yes. NOW. And being the person of faith that Alisa is - and do you know any people of faith who don't look up at the heavens and stars at least once in awhile? - Alisa looks up.

Just in time to see and reflexively catch a gnome-sized, perhaps hobbit-sized, perhaps large-human-child-sized... something! The person literally lands in Alisa's arms (unless Alisa's Player says Alisa is not doing any catching this scene. Up to you!) with a hearty THUMP! And not a splat. =)
Alisa let out a surprised explanation when she saw the...person?...falling towards her, but nevertheless managed to lift her arms up in time to grab them midfall, thus giving them a somewhat softer landing than the ground would've.

There are those rare days that saving someone's skin as a Paladin just couldn't be easier and this proves to be one of them. =)

Mamapaw sees this. All of the Wayward Wanderers do. However... (as far as I know) Mamapaw is the only parent in the group and a naturaly-born mother at that. The very moment she sees something in cloth with flailing hands and feet and a shock of dusty white hair fall seemingly out of nowhere, she (perhaps like some of you) goes running for it. But all of you are too late or too stumbly or whatnot and Alisa just happens to be in the right place at the right time.

So she is the first to see that she's caught somebody by the chest (she is looking down at Aldrin's back). Hobbits don't need to wear shoes and so their feet, at least to a Highwindian, are 100% unmistakable as hobbit-feet. "As rare as a hobbit cobbler" is a Highwindian saying (with the added meaning that something present is not needed). So here's Alisa with this breathless hobbit in her arms when Mamapaw runs up on all fours, stands up straight, clasps her forepaws together and stares down at human Alisa with her small earthquake-provided present!

"Oh!" Mamapaw of Bastet and Mielikki, Felane-of-Shamballah-which-is-in-far-off-Rhumia-where-things-go-by-completely-different-rules-and-methods-than-in-Averlund runs up and says (and I kid you not!):

"Alisa! Look! A baby from the... ceiling! A gift from the gods? Has Mielikki blessed you this day? Does this mean that you are a mother too?"
Immediately, because of the background Alisa's Player has chosen, Alisa knows it happens all too often in Highwind that hobbits, at least from afar or if disguised, are often mistaken for human children. Not Dwarven, certainly not Minotaur or Wemic - human. And now

Mamapaw seems convinced that Alisa has somehow just been given a child.

All Aldrin knows is that his fall has been stopped by arms that don't belong to him. There is dust in his eyes, he can feel it in his hair and on his clothes, and he is facing downward, gear and all. But hey! He didn't splat! The feelings were right again!

At least the Wayward Wanderers aren't likely to be bored now though! Right? Hah!

What do the Wayward Wanderers plus Alisa plus Aldrin do now?! =)
Oreleth raises up an eyebrow as she slowly turns to examine the small figure in Alisa's arms. She quips, "As a young girl, my mother once told me that babies were delivered by a stork carrying them from wherever they come from. I haven't believed that in years, so please pardon me if I am a bit surprised to see it in person for real! Alisa, what do you have there?"
As the questions started coming, the still-bewildered Alisa responded with the first catch-all answer she could think of. "I...I've no idea."

A few seconds of silence provided time for rational thought to assert itself in Alisa's mind, while possibly also allowing the figure in her arms to regain any senses lost from the fall. In any case, the paladin looked at Mamapaw before speaking again. "That might be the case...but surely Mielikki would have given me more of a sign if so. That...and this sort of thing seems more like the domain of a cave god. I'd have thought a child gifted by Mielikki would have fallen from tree branches."
 

Silanon

Four Thousand Club
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
For just a moment, he is truly at peace. Despite what happened, before he hit his head. And despite the free fall. It is the knowledge that nothing will happen. That there is no danger. And, most importantly, perhaps - that he is right where he belongs. Like everyone else, he knows that sometimes, random things happen. But better than most, he understands that from time to time, the gods like to mingle with faiths. That they like to arrange the future to their liking, sometimes subtly, sometimes not so much. And in that moment when he falls - it all makes sense. The kobolds. Those things. Hitting his head.The quake. It all leads to this moment, and this moment feels right.

And then it ends. Caught by a stranger - a painful landing prevented. Voices, as confused as he feels. Knowing that he belongs here does not mean that he understands a thing, after all. The gods aren't like that. They like to point him at their problems and let him figure out the rest. Or that's what it feels like, most of the time. And now... they feel like putting his nerves to the test. He even paints his hair white to avoid these confusions, but no... it's always the same. Maybe somewhere, the gods are giggling. He isn't.

Instead, he grimaces at those words. Like he's in pain when they are spoken. Calling him a child... he r responds in the only way that his mind can think of - to mention the obvious. "Not a child." Well, obvious for everyone who cares to take a second glance. Like one should, right? it's only polite. "Always been on good terms with Mielikki, so maybe it still counts?" The wits has caught up to save the day. Turn it into a somewhat decent first impression, if falling from heights and grumbling still allows for that. "If you could set me down, please? I've learnt how to walk two decades ago. Oh, and thanks for the save. Must've been fate that you were around."
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top