• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Eight: Drake's Dream!

It's a crazy world where superstitious nonsense needs to be considered - because it's probably more on point than anything the scanners could pick up. Great. Just great. Something that doesn't belong. On a ship that doesn't belong here, either. Ylva's hand begins to search her pockets. Not the right moment to chew gum, really. But it always helps with the nerves. And her thoughts.

"Well - that's one cheery insight right there. Can't say I quite get what it means, yet - but I really feel like boarding that ship, now."

A bit of chewing. A bit of thinking. "At least we know. Not much, but we'll be careful." Maybe we'll get lucky and whatever-it-is doesn't sit right on the Ice-9." Like that'd happen. Sometimes feels like mankind's recent history is a long list of worst-case scenarios that happened. Well, maybe one gets biased after seeing the ruins of civilization out there. At least, the Broadsword happened, right? As a harbinger of a dark future to come, but hey - at least, it made the trip.

"So... just a question for the tankers. Since we've got the four tanks, and that's mostly it, right? Never been in one. Always been best in a Logan. So - best to group up with someone who knows them well, or better to share one with someone who doesn't know how it works? Like, Toph and me? Got no clue. Just really shouldn't be in a tank on my own, right?"

"Oh, and Elinor - no worries. The sooner they get their thing there airworthy, the better, right? And like you said, might even save our asses later on. It's just... sudden, that's all. For you as well, of course..." She'll be missed. In those last few days, there's often been a voice of reason to calm the waves. It'll certainly be missed.

Hercules felt an unaccustomed sensation ride up his spine at Bong and Faydra's words. Not fear, more foreboding. This was what he was so concerned about. The sheer irregularity of this mission, this alien ship with it's anachronistic appearance in their current day and it's unmanned corridors chock-full of secrets and malice. He clenched his fists in his lap and set his jaw.
"I've heard all I think I need to hear. Objective 1: gain access to the Zeki ship, objective 2: locate the ICE-9, objective 3: get out with the ICE-9 and deal with the rest later. If we're able to choose our loadout, I'll be sticking with my Thundercracker, a Rifleman Cyclone and a helping of good luck."

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Silanon Silanon Tag!

. "At least we know. Not much, but we'll be careful." Maybe we'll get lucky and whatever-it-is doesn't sit right on the Ice-9."
Mack follows that thought, her blue eyes looking from place to place in the briefing room as she does. "In a ship some two-and-a-half miles long? I'd say what we have here... are multiple opportunities. When are we ever going to have a chance like this at destroying a Zeki command ship? This makes our destruction of the Assault Scout look like small potatoes. I mean, how many command ships could they have brought from the future? This may be the only one."

Cera taps her fingers. "It is extremely unusual to find such a vessel alone and without support vessels. They always have at least a dozen smaller ships, including Destroyers and Assault Scouts with handpicked crews meant for their defense. How this one was separated from its fleet is cause for much speculation."

"Weird ship or no," Mack gives a mischievous grin. "I'm with Mario - the idea of blowing an Assault Scout was one thing. This? The idea of getting the ICE-9 and kicking the Zeki where it really hurts has got my blood up. But a surfer-chick's gotta ask - what's up with the strange feelings?"

Keeping her eyes closed, Faydra calmly licks one of her fangs. "Ancesta-spirits speak. Broo listen. Give strong edge over enemy."

Bong gets that sideways grin of his. "Is good spirits warn us, but no Zeki. No Ura. Only us."

"Just no details per se?"

"In your world," Bong winks, "it has been enough."

Piper nods vigorously. "When the Broo start acting weird like this, we've learned to listen good. Three times in recent history, well our recent history, they stopped us from flying into ambushes or worse. Trouble sometimes gets it too."

In response to this, Trouble just sticks out his chest proudly, his tail lashing about energetically.

"So... just a question for the tankers. Since we've got the four tanks, and that's mostly it, right? Never been in one. Always been best in a Logan. So - best to group up with someone who knows them well, or better to share one with someone who doesn't know how it works? Like, Toph and me? Got no clue. Just really shouldn't be in a tank on my own, right?"
Cera gives Ylva a confident grin. "Mjolnirs are no normal tanks. It is easier to be in one with someone who has experience, but in all other regards, it is not unlike any other machine you have commanded. The Mjolnir is an extension of yourself, ready and willing and at your command as long as you follow its protocol. And you seem like a person who can follow its protocols without having to think about it. You should work well alone or even better with another if you want the company."

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri Tag!

(Game Master note: Since I have the opportunity being at home with COVID-19 and all, I'm going to get this scene one more step forward while I still have the time here at home.)

If we're able to choose our loadout, I'll be sticking with my Thundercracker, a Rifleman Cyclone and a helping of good luck."

Captain Sharp explains. "You'll have your choice of Cyclones and armament. We have plenty of RIfleman and enough Predators to go around. Also, be sure to clear what kinds of tank rounds you want with Sam in your chosen Mjolnirs while you're at it. Let's head on down to Hangar Bay Bravo now." Captain Sharp leads the way out of the briefing room.

Mack speaks up. "Cera and I can each take a Mjolnir if that helps the rest of you divvy up your mecha preferences? As much as I love The Red Baroness, I think it's time I got my feet wet again in a Veritech Hover Tank. They're fun to ride in a sort of heavily-armored-dune-buggy-with-a-huge-cannon sort of charm to them!"

Trouble runs over to Ylva and paws at her leg in an attempt to get her attention. "Rowr?" "Carry me?"

As you leave the briefing room, Elinor finds Cera walking beside her. "It feels strange for you, my dentella, to walk one road while I walk another, but it is War-queen Taniya's command that I have allied with the Wild Cards. Also, there is nothing against our traditions that say I am limited to one dentella." Cera gives Elinor a smirk. "But what would you have me do before we part ways? Any thoughts you wish me to keep close before your journey to assist The Professor?"

Last edited:
Elinor smiles at Cera. "I'll miss you," she tells the Ura-Meltrandi. "I'm proud of you, you know. You've come so far since we first met. I guess... remember that I'll never forget you, whatever happens, and that I want you to do your best and to be happy. I guess that's more of a human sentiment than Meltrandi." Elinor shakes her head. "But I'm human, even if Taniya thought I thought like one of you in some regards, so you're getting some human advice. Maybe it'll help you understand the Wild Cards and everyone here better? I guess that's what I really want -- for you and everyone to get on well, not just do your jobs together. But don't sacrifice any part of who you really are to get there."

The whole thing sounds confusing even to Elinor, but not unlike what she said to her younger siblings when she left for college and career:
- "Obey your parents, grandparents, uncles, and aunts." Well, Cera would already do that, if you subbed in "superiors in rank" for older family members.
- "Be nice to one another." Check.
- "Do your chores and learn lots." Also something Cera would do, in spades.
- "Remember I love you, OK?" Check. Sort of. No, better to be clear. Cera might not hear it the way her brothers and sisters would.

"And... I love you, Cera. I hate goodbyes," she mutters with a sigh.

Last edited:
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag!

Cera looks Elinor in the eye with her ever-confident grin on her lips speaking in true Ura-Meltrandi fashion. "Your will, dentella." Then she repeats the words she knows to echo Elinor's own and in doing so is quite likely very the first Ura-Meltrandi to ever speak them:

"I love you too."

Whether she is completely clear as to their meaning or is replying in the way she knows best or both, Cera seems to mean it. Everything about the red-headed Ura-Meltrandi's demeanor tells Elinor she has little to worry about. "Elly Nor, if it is strange tech the Professor requires help with, it would not surprise me to receive my own request for assistance from here onboard the Broadsword. If so, you and I might be in communique across your Atlantic Ocean in the future. Remember to learn a Core's protocol and then try to follow it if you can. In this way, machines and people work best together."

"Captain Sharp? Wild Cards?" Cera asks as all of you board the cargo elevator together. "Is it not in your own protocol to provide farewells?"

"It is indeed," Captain Sharp is the next to step forward. He offers a handshake or a hug or whichever seems to suit Elinor best. Either one comes with a big grin on his face. "Lt. Hall, let me be the first to thank you for helping out Albert and that big pack of crazies he's with. You may be turning the tide of something significant just doing what you do."

Shirley doesn't let Elinor go without a big hug and a heartfelt smile. "Can't say I like goodbyes much either, but we'll think of you every time Samantha says something! You've been number one, A-plus, radical Elly! Can't wait to hear the good reports coming in from the Professor!"

As you all hear the hum of the elevator taking you downward, Elinor feels a bump against her lower leg (okay, several bumps) as Trouble pushes his head against her. "Reeeewr! Awwwr!!" "You'll be great! I just know it 'cause yer Kitten-approved!!"

Mario goes over to Elinor and gives her a brotherly hug. "You take care of yourself and keep your head down when the bullets start flying. Don't make me come after you for doing something stupid. The stupid stuff is my job to do. Besides, you are a Wild Card from the beginning, and will always be one of us."

Hercules offered Elinor a smart salute and handshake in preference to the decidedly 'hands-on' farewells of his teammates.
"Keep the blue above you and the brown below, ma'am, and before long the rest of us Wild Cards will be around to cover your six.", he spoke up, "And, with luck, we'll have Commander Kirin sitting in the big seat of Broadsword calling the shots."

As farewell hugs and well-wishes are exchanged, the cargo elevator doors open up to Hangar Bay Bravo...

...to reveal a hangar bay filled with humans in UEEF uniforms and (more or less) uniformed Broo yelling, '"SURPRIIISE!"

There are 40-some people here, most of whom you only have seen as faces in the corridors or Mess Hall or elsewhere on the Broadsword, and not one of them older than Ylva, but they are your crewmates nonetheless. One creature you do recognize is Wwarlock who comes padding straight up to Shirley with a basket in his mouth with a small and bright sign on it displaying the large words, "GO GET 'EM, WILD CARDS!"

lauraaltonpainterartistdotcom.jpg
(Image credit: The fantastic Laura Alton at Lauraalton.com)

"What in the world?"

One sharp-looking dark-skinned lady with a medium afro wearing the rank of lieutenant replies, "Well, this is the first sortie you are flying out with all of us more or less active, so in the spirit that we are all one crew, we thought we'd give you a send-off!"

"Yeah!" A heavy-set tan fellow wearing the overalls of a tech yells out. "Every one'a you is family now, y'see? So we figgered we oughta start treatin' you like it! Go give 'em hell, Wild Cards!"

"Whoa! Hey, thanks!" Shirley looks in the basket, takes something out of it, smiles, and passes it on to the next Wild Card.

Flight Lieutenant Piper steps forward and rubs Wwarlock as she yells out to everyone in a very familiar fashion. "Heeey you guuuys!" She points at Elinor. "Miss Elinor's being transferred to help out Professor Stein, Chief Murphy, and Technician Booty! She's gonna be their test pilot!"

"WHOAAA!" comes the reply. Some of the Broo lean over to their human compatriots as they each explain briefly what a test pilot is. A lot of "oh!" followed by a lot of nodding from the Broo follows. Then you hear and see people waving to Elinor with "Good luck!" and "Godspeed!" and "Do that Traverser thing you do!"

While the Sams and Samanthas prepare your mecha and Cyclones in the background, there appears to be a bit of confusion. "Hey!" The technician yells. "Lt. Sveadotter! Your mission preferences are blank here! What're ya takin' along?"

This gets the attention of Shirley who turns to the rest of you as the crowd helps the Sams get everything from your personal gear to your mecha ready. And like one big friendly family, they each start moving and lending a hand where they can.

"Ylva!" Shirley says as she approaches the scientist. "You'll have a lot less thinking to do if you're in one of the Mjolnirs and you'll get some time in one for future missions, or you can take Huginn or Muninn along. The main differences between the Cyclones is stealth, speed, and enhanced sensors with the Predator or better armor and sturdiness with the Rifleman! As for personal gear, if you can't decide, just take along whatever you're qualified for. Wild Cards?" Shirley says to Elinor, Toph, Hercules, Mario, Cera, and Trouble. "Help Ylva out and fish something out of the basket! I'll try and coordinate with Sam all that's going on!" With that Shirley disappears into the crowd as mewing Trouble does his best to climb Ylva's pant leg to get up to her (if he's not being held there already).

People are also mingling with Chief Faydra, Shaman Bong, and Captain Sharp while all this is going on. Hangar Bay Bravo has become quite the busy place!

What do the Wild Cards do?

Farewells - it's weird. Not much time has passed since Ylva arrived. Not long enough to know Elinor Hall as well as the test pilot deserves. And yet long enough to impress the Swede. Ylva offers a somewhat hesitant hug, like she's not quite sure how to go about things, then retreats; not without pausing for a handful of words. "Lycka till - all the best, out there. We'll keep the Broadsword safe until you've done your magic there."

The gathered crowd - certainly unexpected. And, well - it doesn't make things much easier. Mankind's kinda relying on this first Wild Card mission of hers; that's enough pressure as it is. But these people here - they make it real. It's not just someone out there, but people - real people - here. Faces. Expectations, clearly visible. In an old habit of hers, teeth bite down on the Swede's lower lip. Then its role is replaced by a fresh bubble gum, quickly tortured by jaws that turn tension and nerves into the kinetic energy needed for chewing.

It only helps so much. All of this is new. They practiced, of course, ran through the drills. But this time... this is real. And it's a jump right into the unfamiliar weirdness of the unknown, too. To test the Logans, back then, they started near the shore - this is like tossing it straight into the ocean, without any safeguards. No clue what to prepare for. What to expect. Or what'll be needed. Just a ship, mysterious visions, and people she's barely familiar with around her. And despite all those around her, the Swede suddenly feels incredibly lost. There's not even a familiar fighter waiting for her here, yet. Maybe if Command would've said more earlier, there would've been time to get it all right. Sorted out in time. Now... now it's all weird. Logans are comfort, but these aren't the usual types. Tanks are unfamiliar at best. "Heck, I dunno." She scoops up Trouble - had to let him go in-between for farewells, but now a mecha-kitten might be just what she needs. "Come up here. Gotta help me decide." She turns to Sharp. "Captain? Think we can risk one of the Stealth Logans? It's not a tank - but it's comfort." Maybe that'd be best - comfort. But it'd be one of just two, with no chance yet to replicate them, as far as she's aware.

So - I'm having trouble deciding what the heck to take. I've been in one of those indecisive moods for two long, and wrote with Dann about it. He figured that some in-game input might help to help me figure stuff out - so if any characters have recommendations, I'd be happy for advice.

Hercules was nonplussed by the lively greeting the crew enacted as they exited the elevator. This is certainly not something I was expecting. He moved through the familiarly-unfamiliar crowd, accepting handshakes and pats on the back (no one had quite the reach for a shoulder pat) and nodding to crewmembers whose names were still not quite set in his mind. It was the comment from one of the ground crew regarding Lt. Sveadottir's blank loadout request that he responded.
"Ma'am, if you're wanting a weapon for while you're out of your Veritech, can I suggest a LAR-10 or 10C? A laser weapon would be easier to handle and there's minimal risk of low-temperature weapon failures like you'd get with a standard projectile weapon. The carbine is better for close quarters, but inside that capital ship, I don't think that'll be too much of an issue. Your call."

Mario leans over to add his thoughts in. "Ylva, don't forget that if we are on foot, you'll probably be inside a Cyclone. Its just a lot safer that way. If we have enough weapons like this in the inventory, why not take a pistol like Lt. Toph has? They draw power from the Cyclone as long as the cycle is active, so you don't have to worry about running out of ammo in a power clip. If you want something with a bit more punch, try one of these Thundercrackers. It really does the trick for me, and they have the same power feed from the Cyclone that the pistols do."

Toph looks over at the nearest Sam unit and says, "We have these pistols and the Thundercracker that can both feed off of the power supply of a nearby Cyclone. Are there other weapons in the ships' arsenal that do the same?" She then looks over to Ylva and says, "Unless you'd prefer a projectile weapon of some sort."

"Might just want the safety of a familiar gun; if we've got the carbines here, I'll take one of those. Always felt better balanced than the standard version. That, and one of the heavier pistols, if that's alright. Never hurts to have a sidearm at hand... I'll try out the unfamiliar stuff when there are no lives on the line, thanks for the suggestions. Might not want everything to rely on the Cyclones when I haven't really used those, either. Speaking of which - if it's alright, I'll try out the newer model. If I'm not familiar with either of them, I might as well try to put its speed and sensors to good use."

Well - that was the easy part. The hard part is predicting how the mission will unfold, and bringing the right vehicle for the job. "Guess that mostly leaves the actual aircraft - I do know Logans, but I suppose these here are different beasts. Wouldn't mind bringing one if Command allows and it seems useful enough; but I could just as well back one of you up in a tank. Don't know what we're headed into, really; and I don't know any of you well enough after two weeks to know what might be needed." As she speaks, her eyes seek both Sharp and Shirley; the two who might have the best idea about that.

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Silanon Silanon Tag! Kind of a long post but hopefully one worth the read! There is some shop talk in here too that I hope you'll find entertaining if not informative. =)

She turns to Sharp. "Captain? Think we can risk one of the Stealth Logans? It's not a tank - but it's comfort."
"'Comfort?'"

Captain Sharp repeats the word as if it comes from a different language. Being that he is lifelong military and Ylva is a lifelong scientist, perhaps it does. Comfort in the physical sense is a standard only given thought in civilian and some scientific craft; the military could care less as battle capabilities come a distant first in their eyes. "Hmm." The veteran tanker rubs his sturdy chin and shrugs a little. "I have to admit - that's not a word I've ever thought of for any ordinary combat mission, but..." he glances to Shirley with a quick and pleasant grin, "after talking with a certain Californian surfer, I have been politely reminded that you Wild Cards are anything but ordinary. Mack?"

"Sir?"

"You want Lt. Sveadotter in one of those Super Prototypes we yanked out of General Steele's secret hidey-hole? We have two. Or do you want Sveadotter in a tank?"

"Hmm. Cera? You got the specs on the Huginn and Muninn handy?"

"Yes, Leader Mack. Here they are." replies the auxiliary specialist as she produces a tablet and hands it to Shirley for her inspection.

"Guess that mostly leaves the actual aircraft - I do know Logans, but I suppose these here are different beasts. Wouldn't mind bringing one if Command allows and it seems useful enough; but I could just as well back one of you up in a tank. Don't know what we're headed into, really; and I don't know any of you well enough after two weeks to know what might be needed." As she speaks, her eyes seek both Sharp and Shirley; the two who might have the best idea about that.

"Huh," Shirley listens to Ylva then looks down into the tablet and has a good-sized conversation with Cera on the matter in Captain Sharp and the Wild Cards' presence.

Shirley's blue eyes dance down the page as she examines the schematics in detail. "Laser-resistant ceramic armor, quieter. Smaller than a Valkyrie but heavily armed compared to even a basic Valkyrie much less a basic Logan. It's nastier than a TASC AJAX too, at least here in an atmosphere. Good guns overall. 32 SRMs* (acronym for "Short Range Missiles"). But it can't take the hits a Valkyrie can much less a Mjolnir and it's absolutely lousy in hand-to-hand! Cera?"

"Leader Mack?"

"The Broadsword's Robotech Factory. Can it reproduce these prototypes if we were to lose them?"

Cera closes her eyes and shakes her head for lack of worry. "Wire for wire, bolt for bolt, Leader Mack. When we recovered them, one of the first things I did was teach the Broadsword its unique schematics. All we require are the resources, which we have some to spare."

"This thing's too small to carry a Cyclone isn't it? What's our squad make-up if Ylva takes a prototype?"

"Correct. Between the 4 Mjolnirs, we will have 8 Cyclones for the 5 of us. But Sveadotter will have to reunite with one of the Mjolnirs to make use of any of them. Our squad make-up is the following:

1. Mario - Mjolnir.
2. Hercules - Mjolnir.
3. Toph - Mjolnir.
4. Leader Mack & Cera - Mjolnir.
5. Ylva - Prototype Super Stealth Logan."

"Cera, you can call her Ylva, you know."

"Aye aye, ma'am."

"Lemme get this straight. You were once the... Artificial Intelligence of War-queen Taniya's cruiser, right?"

"Not cruiser, ma'am. I was once War-queen Taniya's flagship, the very lead ship of her armada." Cera winces at her own correction as if expecting punishment for having voiced it.

"Chick has an armada? Gnarly!" Not minding the correction, Shirley doesn't acknowledge Cera's worry on the matter and Cera breathes a little easier. "So you might know about the inner dimensions of Zeki ships? Even if the layout's different, given the small size of a Super Logan, it can probably zip around pretty well inside that big ol' Zeki command ship?"

"Without a doubt. It is barely taller than a Cyclone and is notably smaller than even one of your ASC's Spartas veritechs in Battloid mode."

"Groovy. Your thoughts, chick?"

"I wish to see the color of the hull of the Zeki command ship."

"I meant Ylva taking the prototype?"

"Oh. Apologies, ma'am."

Shirley winks. "Forget about it. Now on the surface, this appears be an extended mission, right? So... like.... unless we take and hold some Zeki armory somewhere, Ylva won't be getting her hands on any replacement SRMs, right?"

"Indeed, Leader Mack. Furthermore, the Mjolnirs use rockets not Mini-missiles like the Cyclones. The Zentraedi do not use rockets at all. It is possible with time - after the rockets are expended - I can reconfigure the Multiple Rocket Launcher on the Mjolnirs to use Mini-missiles. As for tank rounds, once our Mjolnirs are empty, there will be no replenishment for their main guns. Zentraedi do not use tank rounds of any kind."

Shirley lets out a breath at that realization. "Oooh. Okay. Glad we've got lots of energy weapons. So... should the Logan go down, Ylva can still hop into any of our Mjolnirs?"

"Preferably one with a single operator, but yes. Barring this, she might also take a Cyclone."

"Okay. That's all I need to hear." With a whirl of her curly black hair, Shirley turns to Captain Sharp with confidence. "Sir? I'm okay with Ylva taking a Super Logan."

Captain Sharp looks into Mack's eyes and adds with grave seriousness. "I've one condition, lieutenant."

"Sir?"

"Just like the AJAX you took along on your first mission, this Logan Prototype is even more rare than a TASC-model AJAX. Are you following me?"

"Like a wingman, sir. If that bird goes down, we blow it. No matter what, we don't leave it for the Zeki, sir!"

Captain Sharp grins widely at her answer. "'Like a wingman,' indeed. Carry on, Mack."

Shirley and Cera look to Ylva and smile too.

Shirley grins at Ylva. "Okay, blondie! You've got the green light to take one of the prototypes. But remember - she doesn't fall into enemy hands no matter what! If you have to bail out of her, set the self-destruct or have our tanks blow the bird to pieces. Leave nothin' for the Zeki, got me?"

Cera turns coolly to Ylva. "Will you take Huginn or Muninn? 'Thought' or 'Memory?' They are statistically identical."

* * *​

Captain Sharp discreetly pulls Cera aside for a chat. They appear to be chatting about Iris. While this takes place, Shirley approaches Ylva speaking loudly enough for the rest of the Wild Cards to overhear.

"Might just want the safety of a familiar gun; if we've got the carbines here, I'll take one of those. Always felt better balanced than the standard version. That, and one of the heavier pistols, if that's alright. Never hurts to have a sidearm at hand... I'll try out the unfamiliar stuff when there are no lives on the line, thanks for the suggestions. Might not want everything to rely on the Cyclones when I haven't really used those, either. Speaking of which - if it's alright, I'll try out the newer model. If I'm not familiar with either of them, I might as well try to put its speed and sensors to good use."

Shirley hears this and says, "Blondie? For what it's worth, I followed Cera's lead on her choices. I noticed in your file you and I are both Special Forces trained. I took along a Predator Cyclone and Centurion Rifle to make best use of my Energy Rifle skills. Cera's got a different take. She's taking along a Predator Cyclone and a big Thundercracker Rifle. You might say I'm basing some of my choices on hers. She seems to think if we have to fight in Cyclones, it's best they have a hard time finding us.

"Cera told me her round loadout for our tank is a standard Mjolnir ammo loadout except she's swapping out the Canister rounds for MPAT rounds. Something about the MPATs having better area-of-effect. I asked her about taking Plasma rounds along and she said they'd be useful for burning through doors in case we get locked out. So maybe set up your 32 SRM loadout with stuff like that in mind? Your SRMs won't do much good for area-of-effect damage, but they're hell on single target enemies especially when fired in fours."

"Reeeewr! Eeereewr!" Reewrs Trouble. "Heeeey! What do I do?"

"Simple, you little furless fuzzbucket!" Shirley reaches over into Ylva's grasp and scratches Trouble's head. "You get to watch Ylva's back!"

"Awwwr!" "Okaaaay!" Then Trouble sticks his chest out very proudly as if to silently state, "See that? I haz a job to do now! I'm all important!"

Last edited:
"'Comfort?'"
"Maybe more like a familiarity, Sir. I've seen the seafloor in a Logan. And I know the layout and some of its pieces by heart. Sure, the Super Logan is different, but it'll feel more like what I know."
"The Broadsword's Robotech Factory. Can it reproduce these prototypes if we were to lose them?"

Cera closes her eyes and shakes her head for lack of worry. "Wire for wire, bolt for bolt, Leader Mack. When we recovered them, one of the first things I did was teach the Broadsword its unique schematics. All we require are the resources, which we have some to spare."
This, perhaps, is the most important revelation. If it can be replaced, it might as well be used. Of course, there is no need to be wasteful; but it means that losing one will not require the other to remain on the Broadsword until science has caught up. One less reason to argue against her gut feeling means one more reason to take a Logan with her.
Cera turns coolly to Ylva. "Will you take Huginn or Muninn? 'Thought' or 'Memory?' They are statistically identical."
There's a slight moment of hesitation. The head wants to say that it doesn't matter. But it does. Words can have power. "If Muninn is willing to carry me into battle, that'd be my choice. If things go well, it'll always be more than just a memory. And if not - nothing but a memory will remain for the Zekis to studies. That's understood, Sir." The last words are also spoken in Sharp's direction.
Shirley hears this and says, "Blondie? For what it's worth, I followed Cera's lead on her choices. I noticed in your file you and I are both Special Forces trained. I took along a Predator Cyclone and Centurion Rifle to make best use of my Energy Rifle skills. Cera's got a different take. She's taking along a Predator Cyclone and a big Thundercracker Rifle. You might say I'm basing some of my choices on hers. She seems to think if we have to fight in Cyclones, it's best they have a hard time finding us.
"Do we have one of the Centurion Rifles at hand? Would like to see if it feels too heavy. I mean, maybe those Cyclones will help with that, but still; never hurts to weigh one's options."
I'll take that one, just figured it'd be something on her mind.
"Cera told me her round loadout for our tank is a standard Mjolnir ammo loadout except she's swapping out the Canister rounds for MPAT rounds. Something about the MPATs having better area-of-effect. I asked her about taking Plasma rounds along and she said they'd be useful for burning through doors in case we get locked out. So maybe set up your 32 SRM loadout with stuff like that in mind? Your SRMs won't do much good for area-of-effect damage, but they're hell on single target enemies especially when fired in fours."
As she chews on her gum, Ylva considers the options for a moment. "Red smoke. Twice." The pointer of her right hand extends. "Two Knock-out loads for whatever we might find in there." The index finger retreats, replaced by the middle finger - politely pointed towards the floor. The ring finger quickly joins that one. "Eight plasma shots..." - her hand closes to a fist - "leaves 20 HEAP missiles for precise fire. Think that'll do the trick? I mean, no one can know, at this point, but it's a start."
"Awwwr!" "Okaaaay!" Then Trouble sticks his chest out very proudly as if to silently state, "See that? I haz a job to do now! I'm all important!"
Perhaps the most important weapon - another intelligent mind aboard the same Logan. She follows Mack's example to pat the ally, and the hint of a smile reaches her lips. "Good. Heard that, Trouble? Will need you out there - gotta have a veteran Wild Card with me when the wrongness aboard hits us."

Toph looks over at their two resident tankers and says, "So, Hercules and Mario, any advice to the rest of us fliers for our first time in a Mjolnir tank? You guys have the experience in being ground pounders after all."

Mario looks over at Toph and says, "You have good instincts, Lieutenant. Just because you're not ripping through the air at Mach speed shouldn't make any difference. We will all stick together, and we'll take on whatever it is in that ship that has everyone spooked to get that Ice-9 for you."

Hercules look over form his own prep and added, “Driving a tank is similar to infantry-level tactics. Mutually-supportive advances, maintaining a three-sixty awareness, peeking corners before clearing a new area. It’ll be slower than you’re used to, but in this situation, that won’t be an issue. Just be ready to respond to changes in situation, like coming under fire.”

Earlier (this is your Game Master playing catch-up.). Or perhaps I should just call this... "Wrapping up?" =)

Cera looks curiously inside the basket, takes a small something and then hands it back to Wwarlock. The furry pooch vanishes into the crowd with it in his mouth.

* * *​
"Do we have one of the Centurion Rifles at hand? Would like to see if it feels too heavy. I mean, maybe those Cyclones will help with that, but still; never hurts to weigh one's options."
Spaceman Sam nods without checking "his" wrist-computer. Beside him, a Spacegal Samantha tells Ylva. "Why, sure we do, pumpkin! That there loadout you asked for is already in the makin', so don't you worry a lick!"

Shirley rubs the back of her head and thinks aloud. "I don't think I'm ever gonna get used to our Sam and Samanthas talking the way you do!"

Perhaps the most important weapon - another intelligent mind aboard the same Logan. She follows Mack's example to pat the ally, and the hint of a smile reaches her lips. "Good. Heard that, Trouble? Will need you out there - gotta have a veteran Wild Card with me when the wrongness aboard hits us."
"Reeeewr!!" Out come the tiny claws and fierce fangs of the Mewwoo who could probably do perhaps as much damage as an Earth-native housecat, but his spirit is definitely there. "Lemme at 'em!!" All of you hear Trouble's boyish roar in your minds.

* * *​
(Just'a little "moar" of Elinor!)

The Wild Cards are there when the two Brazil-bound Valkyries lift off from Hangar Bay Alpha, one with Elinor in the pilots' seat. Colonel Sharp salutes her while Hitomi gives a cheery wave. In Elinor's front seat, she will have found a tablet with The Tao of Jeet Kune Do displayed in all of its fullness (and emptiness if you don't mind a little JKD-styled humor there). All the while, the Broadsword crew and Sams are waving and shouting their best to the Wild Card while the Broo, led by Chief Faydra, are literally pounding the floor and each other to some strange rhythm while singing a song that every one of them seems to know. With that, Elinor soars into the sky with Sam units in her backseat and in flying wingman for the Georgia farm-girl. The Broo continue singing and many eyes watch until those two precious birds fade gently into the West.

* * *​

As all eyes are on Elinor's departure, Little Miss Toph gets a friendly yank into a secluded corner of Hangar Bay Bravo where not even the Broo are looking. The arm belonging to the pull? None other than Hitomi Yashida. The taller woman smiles fondly at Toph and says, "You didn't think I was going to let you out of here without some kind of send-off, right? We may still be in the very earliest stages of dating, but... we're still dating if I have anything to say about it! Come here!" With that, she wraps her arms around Toph and just gives the Japanese-Meltrandi the warmest hug.

"I'd tell you to be careful and all that, but you know already."

As all eyes are on Elinor's departure, Little Miss Toph gets a friendly yank into a secluded corner of Hangar Bay Bravo where not even the Broo are looking. The arm belonging to the pull? None other than Hitomi Yashida. The taller woman smiles fondly at Toph and says, "You didn't think I was going to let you out of here without some kind of send-off, right? We may still be in the very earliest stages of dating, but... we're still dating if I have anything to say about it! Come here!" With that, she wraps her arms around Toph and just gives the Japanese-Meltrandi the warmest hug.

"I'd tell you to be careful and all that, but you know already."
Toph feels a sudden rush of heat to her face as she returns the warm embrace, adding a gentle kiss to Hitomi's cheek, saying, "I absolutely will come back, if only to make sure you share that smile with me again. You've given me very good motivation to be careful out there. You be safe, too. If anything happens to you, I'll never let you live it down."

"You be safe, too. If anything happens to you, I'll never let you live it down."
Hitomi it was leaning in apparently to return the kiss when she hears this. She stops short to reply.

"Me?! Hey! I'm not the one leaving the fully-armed, miniature Robotech Factory-bearing, one-of-a-kind space frigate from the future to go gallivanting around on a secret Zeki command ship whose purpose God only knows while searching for an alien isotope to bring her mom back from certain death! In Antarctica!"

Then Hitomi pauses for a moment of surprise and whispered self-congratulation. "Hey! I summed it all up quite nicely, didn't I?"

"Look," the Japanese-Polynesian super-beauty reaches into her purse and pulls forth a small sleek armored (1 Mega-damage) case. From inside, she produces a beautiful glass bottle filled to the brim with lovely gold liquid. The stylish label proudly displays the brand. "Chanel No. 5."

"Just... take this along with you, okay? It's a little reminder of why to take cover when you need to, and you might be surprised how something like that can come in useful in the strangest of places." She tilts her head, and grins and winks confidently to Toph.

(GM Note to Psychie Psychie Please add this item to Toph's inventory.)

Toph does not need her keener-than-usual senses to know that Hitomi is wearing that high-class, womanly perfume right now. As usual, Hitomi has put on just enough to get a person's attention in a good way. O.K. In a really good way. No more no less.

Right then, her phone beeps an urgent sound. Hitomi glares at it for just one moment. "And can you take this with you too and throw it overboard?" She almost looks as if she is going to hand Toph the phone, but instead the responsible doctor looks at it for one long moment. Her eyes widen in silence, and then she taps three keys and puts her phone away with a small smile.

"Shall we join the others now? Before you launch, I think there's someone you're all going to want to briefly meet."

"Shall we join the others now? Before you launch, I think there's someone you're all going to want to briefly meet."
Hitomi touches her phone and approaches the Wild Cards, her unhurried stride beside Toph's own as they make their way together through the lively Hangar Bay Bravo. All around you, the Broadsword crew are making mostly small talk with the Wild Cards. Colored Samantha and Sam units continue their work, loading up the Mjolnirs and Super Stealth Logan with munitions and gear, each of them moving as easily as a human but all of them together moving like clockwork.

Cera watches nearby with her arms folded and appearing a little uncomfortable. The Ura-Meltrandi is watching Shirley and one of the Broo sharing a big hug. When Shirley and the male Broo disengage, Shirley's cheery smile is sunshine itself. The smiling savage warrior raises his bare knife above his head before returning to his people.

"Keeel de monsta, Shir-lee!"

"Kill de monsta, Bora!"

Shirley sees Toph and Hitomi and waves you both over. "Hey, if it isn't our two favorite Jeet Kune Do people! What's cookin'?"

Hitomi warmly acknowledges Ylva, Mario, Hercules, Trouble, and Cera and says, "Well, as if things weren't busy enough, I've got this small group that's interested in all of you."

Cera fidgets. "And why would that be, Hitomi?"

"Because..." the ship's doctor replies smoothly, "...they've been getting over post-cryogenic sickness for about the past two weeks and only got the go-ahead from me a few days ago. They've been training up a storm since but they wanted to meet you before you go." Hitomi turns. "Hey! Over here, you guys!"

"Hey!" comes the reply. You see four young people in UEEF uniforms that are not new. Each of them bear the rank of 3rd Lieutenants and not a single one of them looks to have reached their 20s - unlike all of you save Cera. Bright-eyed and smiling, the four approach cautiously. Hitomi winks at them, her body language casual and easy-going. The young squad takes noticed and relaxes a touch. But not a whole lot!

"Wild Cards? These are the relatives of the Broadsword's former flight squadron, Flight Nine. I might have shown them some video footage of your escapades and bragged on all of you a little. They've been waiting weeks to meet you. Guys? Meet the Wild Cards!"

"The Wild Cards! Wow! Finally!" These thickly-accented exclamations come from a handsome and bright-looking Middle-eastern young man with short hair, bold brown eyes, and apparently vigorous disposition.

"Wild Cards! It is an honor to meet you," states a sharp-looking, muscled young man of clearly Asian descent, his thick black hair and slanted eyes regard you with quiet admiration but admiration nonetheless. Looking to your Scandinavian scientist, his voice drops to nearly a whisper as he asks in awe. "Are you... truly... Ylva Sveadotter?"

A tall and inquisitive lass with short brown hair and blue eyes that virtually sparkle with curiosity asks, "Is Hitomi pulling our legs? Did ye really sneak inta a Zeki Assault Scout ? With nary any outside support? An' blast it all ta bits o'er the water? Like.. all on yuir own? Och, it canna be!"

Hitomi's giggle is both friendly and attention-getting. "Guys? Why don't one of you tell the Wild Cards what you've chosen as your squadron name? Hmmm?"

"Ah.. I'll-- I'll do it!" A short, shy, and pretty-looking young lady with brown eyes and black skin seems to be doing her best to conceal her nervousness. And failing. Her companions look to her in no mild surprise. She continues as best she can in such company as yours. "Well... we didn't want to take on the squadron name of our family members or be Flight Ten. And since we've only flown a half-dozen combat missions against the stupid Invid, we wanted to be called something new. We've never flown here on.... Earth... sooo... we were thinking of calling ourselves... First Flight!" She tries to smile. "It's not too dorky, is it?"

Shirley is able to get two words out ( "Sounds radical!") when all of a sudden, the ship-wide call for battle stations begins blaring loud enough to interrupt any conversation.

"Robotech Perfect Soundtrack - Battle Stations"

Everyone else in the giant hangar bay stops what they are doing and freezes in surprise - human crew, Broo, and Sams too - because like you, they know it's real. Then feet are flying everywhere as you hear Captain Sharp's calm-yet-serious voice immediately follows over the intercom.

"All hands, battle stations! This is not a drill. Adamantium has enacted Prairie Fire!"

You see everyone in First Flight just gawk in surprise (and yes, the dawning of total unfairness!) for all of two seconds. Then they are off and running as one toward Hangar Bay Charlie, where you have rarely gone. "You can count on us, Wild Cards!" one of them says.

Commands go out all over the Hangar Bay. Toph feels a kiss on her cheek and smells Chanel No. 5 but when she turns, Hitomi has vanished like the ninja of their Japanese heritage into a scampering clowder of Broo who are all racing in one direction. Your vehicles are nearly loaded up. "No! Not that Predator!" you overhear people yelling all kinds of things. "It's not ready! Oh, just use that one!" Humans are directing the Sams and Broo while everyone else is hightailing it. "Move, move!" and "Over here!"

But the Wild Cards were trained by Adamantium. They know what this call means!

(GAME MASTER NOTE FOR ALL: And so will you! I am leaving Chapter Eight: Drake's Dream here open for a little while longer - just in case anyone has any last-minute posts they wish to provide between here and the next scene. Why? Because the next scene... is in the next chapter! Woo! What a good place for it, right? Ha ha!)

See you all in Chapter Nine: Prairie Fire!

Last edited:
Hercules glanced over as he saw Toph and Hitomi sneak out to a secluded point and his heart turned cold for a moment. He sighed wistfully of a love lost in the burning heat of a true love enkindled and turned away to complete his preparations.
Perhaps I'm not destined to love and be loved.

At the sound of Hitomi's announcement, Hercules turned from the diagnostic of the Mjolnir he'd been looking over with a Samantha and regarded the four newcomers with interest. He was about to salute and introduce himself when the alert siren blared out across the hanger. Instinct kicked in as he sprinted to don the last parts of his armor and clambered into his mecha, going through the start-up procedure just as he'd practiced in less urgent times.
"Hercules to Wild Cards lead, all systems green, ready for deployment!"

"Are you... truly... Ylva Sveadotter?"
The Swede nods - after all, it happens to be her name. Other than that, though... she's certainly not what this man has heard of. Really, she hasn't done many remarkable things at all, has she? Nothing here on the Broadsword, at least. And definitely nothing that someone from the future should remember. Maybe the potential's there. But it might also just be wasted in this timeline, who knows. How would that feel like? To live an unremarkable life, after people hyped up your possible future? Weird, most definitely...

But there's no time to dwell on it. In fact, there's no time to dwell on anything at all. Before she can speak, or even find good words, the alarm cuts right through her line of thought. And for the first time here, it's not just a drill. It's real. The next step, wherever the journey leads, in the long run. She scoops up Trouble, holds him tightly, and darts off towards where the Sam's have prepared her vehicle for today. The priorities are clear: Get Trouble aboard, and make sure the mechakitten is safe and has everything that's needed. Get herself into fighting shape, and make sure that the guns are in the right places and loaded. Then get the Super Logan started, prepared to take on whatever awaits them. "Sveadotter ready. Gott mit uns.*"

"Gott mit uns" means "God with us." It's a German phrase that was adopted by the Swedish army during the 30-year war while they fought alongside their German Protestant allies. Just for fun: A song (two versions of it) by Sabaton.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back