Chapter 1 (Rebirth of Brilliance)

WlfSamurai

Maelstrom Engineer
Brasla, Lucrete
Morning

The Lucretian capital, Brasla.

Glistening palaces reach for the sky on the North side of the city. A sign of the Dragon and High Castes. They live in luxury. And their problems stretch beyond their doorstep. Each community and estate sports gates and guards. The North is home to quiet breezes and still streets. The ruling merchants and military leaders live here. Most of them are Dragon-Blooded.

The South side cradles a nest of filth and pollution. Beggars lay in the walkways. Vagrants crowd the alleys to sleep in muck. Rabble fills the brothels and taverns to capacity each night. At some point, the overflow spills into the streets carousing. Law in the South is a punchline.

Residences crowd the West side's winding streets. Not clean, but not dirty, the West side houses the middling Castes. This is the general public. Most spend their lives here. Each person--or family or families--counts themselves lucky to have a single-room apartment. Space is a premium. And privacy is non-existent. But an honest person can eek out a living here. And most do providing various goods or services. There are worse places in Creation. The South side, for instance.

And between? Midtown. Markets fill the days in Midtown with din. Merchants hawk their wares from all over Creation. They bring salts and spices and weapons and woodcraft and sleight of hand.

Now, you are in this city. You are allies who traveled here together. You know each other and are working together, at least to start. But you don't have to be physically together in the city. Maybe you are. Mabye you aren't.

Tell me, where are you this morning? Describe the room you wake up

( JayTee JayTee , Blackadder Blackadder , Sherwood Sherwood , Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws , xarvh xarvh , Esbilon Esbilon , Teh Frixz Teh Frixz )

Last edited:
Ailera rises early, before the sun comes up as is her habit. Slipping quietly from the soft bed that she had shared with Suhiko the night before so she does not disturb her companion, Ailera slips into her robes that she had taken off the night before and heads for the door. She is in search for a good position to watch the glory of the sun rise up from behind the horizon, the perfect time as a Solar of the Dawn Caste to offer up her devotions to her God, the Unconquered Sun.

Moving into an alley where she can be unobserved, the woman leaps up to the top of the building and gazes out into the early morning sky, waiting for the first rays of sunlight to strike her. Kneeling down, she begins her prayers. When she finally finishes, Ailera rises, then looks over the side the building to make sure there is a quiet place for her to jump down without being seen.

Then, following her nose, the Solar moves out to the street to find a baker selling sweet rolls. With a winning smile, she greets the old man. "Good morning, sir. I was powerless to resist the delicious smell of your rolls, and I simply must have a bag full for me and my traveling companions." Coins trade hands, and then Ailera makes her way back to the hotel.

Entering into her room quietly in case Suhiko has not yet risen, she will let the sweet rolls do the work of calling to her lover for her.

It's not long before the absence of Ailera's warm body next to her wakes Suhiko, not that she was ever one to sleep for long, but her love's absence is felt no less keenly for that. The room they share is simple, bare wooden walls that are cracked from the heat and the wind, but it's home. For now, at least.

Keeping the blade in its scabbard, she lifts Abundant Benevolence from where it rests at her side of the bed, and rises. As the sun's first rays make their way through their window, she goes smoothly through the motions of the sword-fighting katas she began learning what seems like an eternity ago. Thrust, slash, stab, block, pirouette comes as naturally to her as breathing, but every day, she watches herself from that place beyond consciousness others find in meditation or prayer, and every day she tries to improve on what she did the day before. Her old fighting master would only recognize the outlines of her forms now, her skill has surpassed his many times over, she things with a melancholy smile on her lips. It will be a long time yet before she can go home, truly home, and when she does it will not be a happy or easy reunion.

The smile on her lips widens as the smell of fresh pastries and the sounds of the old house creaking announce Ailera's return. Suhiko throws the Daiklave onto the bed with a casualness that would quite likely have shocked and horrified that ancient smith who forged the golden blade, but the Solar who now wields it would be hard pressed to care less. Instead, she opens her arms and greets the lithe woman who enters their room with a kiss and a warm embrace.

"Good morning, love."

Ailera lets out a soft sigh of contentment as she feels Suhiko's arms around her, and she returns the kiss. "Good morning indeed, dear heart." She closes her eyes as her lover holds her close, then lifts up the bag with the sweet rolls in it. "I brought breakfast, enough for everyone, if you would like to share with them."

"I guess we have to," Suhiko sighs with mock disappointment, "otherwise, I'll just end up too fat for my armor. Or start breaking the bed without your help," she adds and offers the woman in her arms another kiss.

They're a strange bunch, she thinks to herself, but they seem like decent people, and Creation needs every hero it can get with the Realm in such a precarious position. If only it were possible to work with it rather than around it and even against it at times.

Samira wakes up in a strange bed. A warmth is felt on her back, and with a tilt of her head, she can see the guy she met last night. Her love of art had drawn her away from her companions, and into a bar where she met this handsome painter. He had offered to paint a picture of her, and she obliged. He was competent, and she enjoyed teasing him while he was painting. He wasn't as good a lover as he was a painter, but he was decent enough.
Moving with a grace, she slips from bed, and donned her dress from last night. Smiling at his sleeping form, she decides to let him sleep, and lets herself out.
Strolling the streets of the city, she is amazed by different the city looks like in the daylight. And how different it is from her home back in Siqhe. She realizes that she longs, yet again, for a home that was never her home, and that likely will never be. She must find a new home for herself, and her companions were a great start on that.

Humming to herself, she stops at a food stand in the busy market, and buys some fruits. Knowing Ailera, she probably went yet again to get sweet rolls, and needs to get some fruits instead. Someone has to be sure Ailera and Suhiko eat well, as they seem to be so in love with one another, that they do not always seem to pay attention to what they eat.

Knocking on the door to their room, she waits patiently till they tell her she can go in. One time going in on them going at it was enough for her. It was a private thing.

"Come on in, we're decent," Suhiko calls out, sounding distinctly amused as Samira knocks.

Even with her arms draped around her love, her hair as tousled a mess as that straight, Scarlet Dynasty hair ever gets, and dressed in loose fitting pants and a shirt, Suhiko manages to look like a soldier. There's the straightness of her back, the way her eyes seem to judge the situation before her, and the corded muscles of her arms. Though she looks at ease, it would barely take her seconds to reach for the sword lying haphazardly on the edge of their bed.

Opening the door, Samira enters the room, her dress from the night before still on. Raising her eyebrows at the sweet rolls, she brings her bag of fruits, and offers them. "You two should be able to remember that fruits are better for you than those rolls." She shakes her head at Ailera "For one who is in love, you sometimes seem to follow your stomach, more than your senses." Her tone is strict, like a mother's tone admonishing her kids, but there is a twinkle in her eyes of amusement.

Ailera gives a pouty look to have their morning interrupted, but doesn't complain. "Ah! You are one to talk, especially since I bought enough for you to have some, too. Besides, I get plenty of exercise to keep my figure in pristine condition Have a seat and relax."

Samira eyes the rolls, since knowing Ailera, she has a nose for finding the most delicious sweet rolls. Her hand reaches for the sweet rolls, and almost grabs one, before she changes her mind, realizing that the last thing she wanted was to adjust her dresses again to a slightly bigger girth.
"I will pass on them this time. I guess I should find some more ways to exercise." She said as she patted her slightly rounded tummy,

"It sounded like you found some last night," Suhiko smirks and pulls a hand through her hair, straightening it out more than should reasonably be possible with such a simple gesture. She the proceeds to move her sword out of the way and sit down on the bed. "Other than the company, any news from the city?"

Ailera giggles. "I can always spar with you a bit, or teach you a few dance steps. Either way, I don't see you having any trouble getting a good workout." She then reaches out and claims an apple from the bag that Samira has and takes a chomp out of it. "Mmm. Good. Nice and crisp." She leans back in a chair and sits quietly for a moment, then says, "We can carouse in the bars to get a good feel for the public opinions on the city."

Samira smiles "The company was good, but he is a better painter than a lover. Unfortunately he is also a bit out of touch with the goings on in the city, so he wasn't much of a source of news, but he does have good technique." Leaving it hanging whether she meant his brush stroke, or his lovemaking.

Stretching, she grabs some dates from the bag, and beings eating them, their taste reminding her of her old home. "I think i will get a few hours of sleep, and start going in the markets at high noon, when the sun is high, and the merchants' tongues are loosened a bit with the heat."

Ailera nods. "There is plenty of time before the party tonight for us to go exploring the various market districts to see what we might find."

OOC I thought that the two of us could have been asked to show off our talents, and it would be a good chance to get to know the upper crust of the city. What do you think?

Suhiko sighs, "I still need clothes for that. Didn't think to bring any of the presentable stuff from Paragon when we... left. Any idea where to find a half-decent, fast-working tailor around here?" She frowns, "and possibly someone who's handy with hair dye and cosmetics, the Realm trade representative might be there."

OOC: I agree entirely on going to see the upper crust. Suhiko might feel differently ;)

Ailera nods, "I am sure we can find a good dressmaker to work some magic on you, along with a make-up artist. Not that they have to work too hard to make you beautiful, after all, just look at you! All the ladies will be jealous of you. Besides, after my performance, I wouldn't want to miss the chance to twirl you around the dance floor!"

"I love you Ailera, but I don't trust your eyes in this particular context," she says with an only somewhat besotted smile, "it's not so much for looks, though, it's more to ensure that he doesn't look at me and think too hard about who my mother is."

"Well, I suppose that it might just be possible that I am feeling somewhat biased as to how you look. That's why we will entrust you to the experts. You will look your best for the evening's festivities. All we need to do is decide upon a style for you. . . something bold? Something frilly? With your armor and sword, or without? What do you think?"

Suhiko smiles at Ailera's reluctant acceptance. Then, more pensively, she says "bringing a sword and armor to a formal event is unlikely to come across particularly well. Something I can fit a knife in to would be good, though. And run in, if it comes to that. Bold is good, though, make them look at the style rather than the person. "

"I can hide almost any weapon you need in my pockets of Elsewhere, just in case of any trouble. But I agree that something bold would fit your personality the best." Ailera smiles. "We can have the front desk suggest a good seamstress to do the work."

Kaliva Callas woke up in a room in sum total cost enough to feed hundreds for a year, on a bed of the finest silk sheets and mahogany construction. It did not have a balcony or window access - because that was the sort of thing that just screamed for an assassin to make use of. Yet he knew it was morning. A thing which had infinitely more meaning now to him than ever before.

It also meant more potential, more challenges, more everything. And tonight would be another step ahead. The party, with the esteemed Dynast V'neef Suhiko and her lover. Also secretly a member of his circle. And tonight their position would be strengthened, as would his and the clan's. There might be Immaculate ideals floating about, but Lucrete's powermongers were ultimately pragmatists, and the Realm's uncertain shifting gave them a view onto alternatives for the wind to be blowing.

Ailera does her best to put her emotional feelings for Suhiko on hold as she looks the woman over. "A deep red would look wonderful on you, with some gold trim. Yes. I just need to get some quality fabric and find the right person to work with it. Excuse me for a moment; I'm heading down to the concierge desk to make some arrangements."

Moving with a purpose, she heads down the stairs to talk to the concierge. Now, she takes the air of a Creation-famous performer as she glides across the main floor until she sees her target. "Good sir, I am in need of your expert services. A member of my entourage has suffered a wardrobe malfunction, and I absolutely must have her presentable to be seen with me tonight at the Hanging Gardens. Along with the tailor, our normal makeup girl has not arrived, so we will need the spa to be made available to us." She makes a casual motion to take the servant's hand, and in doing so, she slips several large coins into it in a smooth motion. "I am sorry for the last minute notice, but I am certain you are more than up to the challenge. Can you please help me?"

Kvau did not wake as the dawn greeted him. He had been up all night, putting the finishing touches on the latest summoning spell. Another night of binding the lesser beings of hell had left him disheveled and smelling of warped brass and the fires of the green sun, but it would be worth it.

It was the beginning of a plan, one that would take time, patience and more than a little bloodshed, but with a coterie mass of demons at his disposal, he would at least have the manpower needed to help accelerate his takeover. To say nothing of the other members of his circle.

The mortal servants of his manse-home had long ago learned to avoid the west wing during the evening hours, but now that the sun had broke, there came a knock on his door. Bidding them enter, Kvau's servants came in with a fresh set of clothes, some fruits and meats for sustenance, and most importantly, a hot drink to keep him awake for the rest of the day.

Sherwood Sherwood the concierge agrees and says, "Shall I have the seamstress and beautician sent to your room first or meet you all in the spa?"

Also, you notice a woman sitting in the common room looking at you. A Dragon's Breath--a spicy drink from the Blessed Isle--drips condensation onto the table in front of her. I don't need to tell you she's beautiful, you can see for yourself. Long chestnut hair in a perfect bun, dark complection, deep purple eyes. She wears a kimono made of red silks. She has poise in her straight posture and confidence in her relaxed hand as she lifts the drink to her supple lips.

Her eyes turn to the window when she sees you looking at her.

JayTee JayTee Tiva, the house mistress and your main servant, enters the room and curtsies.

"Sir," she says. "Shall we expect you home this afternoon to prepare for this evening's party?"

Blackadder Blackadder a servant girl knocks and enters. She curtsies and replaces your water basin, water pitcher, and places fresh rolls on the table.

"Does my lord require anything more this morning?" she asks.

Last edited:
Ailera awards the man with a winning smile. "Excellent. Have them meet us in my room. There should be enough time to get everything we need done. Thank you. I shall be expecting them shortly."

With her critical business complete, she turns to leave, pausing long enough to get a good look at the woman watching her. She gives the other woman a polite nod before heading upstairs and back to her room. Sweeping in, she shares her news about the upcoming visitors. "They will be here to get you ready for the party shortly."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back