• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Cautiously Returning and Seeking - Historical, Fantasy, Fandom

AlbaGuBrath

"Scotland Forever"
Wow, it's been... about ten months since I've been here. The place is looking sleek! Now that I'm out of school and on my own, I've been cautiously considering dipping my toe back into the RP pool, so let's see what happens!

Some (hopefully) relevant information:
- I am a historian with a specific interest in Irish political and cultural history, but I am also happy to geek out about Scotland, literature, or animals.
- I live in the CST time zone and will usually be active in the afternoons/evenings during the week, but probably less so during the weekends.
- I'm 23 years old and would prefer to write with someone close to my age, but I'm not super picky. Roleplay will not be going above a PG-13 level, but I would rather chat with someone at a similar place in life as myself.
- I like to talk to people OOC. My posting schedule is bound to be pretty relaxed, so having friendly conversation outside of roleplay is great for keeping interest. I do have a Discord, if that makes it easier, though I would prefer to keep that only for OOC chat/planning.
- I'm not really interested in romance or playing a canon character (though I don't mind if you want to), and I would prefer to only play one or two characters at a time.
- Samples are available upon request, but they're all fairly old by this point. I usually write 3-4 paragraphs, sometimes more, and I would like to see at least half of my post matched if possible. Not a strict rule, but a general guideline.
- As I'm only cautiously coming back to the RP scene again, I only plan on selecting one or two people to write with for the time being and will probably be picky. If I don't decide to write with you right now, though, there's still the possibility that I'll contact you later when I'm feeling up to it.

So, on to the good stuff! There are two ways we can go about this - by sharing characters and creating a plot for them, or by taking an idea and creating characters for it. My preference is definitely the first, but I'm willing to work with you on the latter. I'll just be doing a short entry for each character/idea, but can share more details if needed. Bolded characters and ideas are my favorites. There's also a list of just general things that I like, but don't have a character or plot in mind for. Feel free to suggest something from them if there's something you like, but be aware that I will most likely gravitate towards more concrete concepts.
Historical/(ish)
- Conor Culaan (WWI/Revolutionary Ireland) - An idealistic young Irishman brought into war during the 1910s. Romantic visions vs harsh realities. Might deal with lycanthropy in a fantasy setting.
- Malcolm Suilglas (Pirates/Sailors) - A ship's doctor brought against his will onto a pirate ship.
- Alasdair Douglas (General medieval-ish) - A herdsman trying to make his way in a foreign land while concealing a shameful secret. Guilt and redemption. Cultural expectations vs the individual. (This is a character I'm currently using elsewhere, but I would like the opportunity to flesh him out a bit in another setting.)

Fantasy
- Aldair Wave-Rider - An aging kelpie chieftain struggling to defend his territory against outside forces and internal intrigue.
- Ealasaid Dorclan - A wood elf healer travelling the land to seek new sights and bring aid to those that need it.
- Ciaran Banchanan - A mischievous fairy whose curiosity may have just gotten the better of him.

Fandom
- Saorat (Skyrim) - A Khajiit ranger currently (or formerly) in the Stormcloak army trying to find her place. Identity/belonging. Possibly a clash of ideologies? General exploration?
- Fyall Sunblade (Skyrim) - A Nord warrior born to a family of Vigilants travelling to join the Dawnguard in their crusade against vampirism. Even if, as she might learn, that includes her werewolf brother.
- William Grey (Doctor Who) - A Time Lord who crash-landed on Earth many centuries ago and has since 'gone native', forgetting his past travels and not understanding why he doesn't seem to age like those around him.
- Eagleflight (Warriors) - A confident tom with ambitions to become leader, but hampered by pride and an injury to his leg.
- Thistlepaw (Warriors) - An introverted medicine cat apprentice who struggles to fit in with his Clan.. Perhaps because it isn't his Clan.
Historical
- For We Must Say Goodbye (Easter Rising/Revolutionary Ireland) - This is one idea where I would consider including romance, albeit probably a pre-established one. In short, it would be about a young nationalist involved in the 1916 Rising and a close friend/significant other with decidedly different political views. Possibilities include a more radical nationalist versus a more moderate one, a revolutionary versus a pacifist, or a nationalist versus a unionist. I would be interested in playing Conor Culaan (see above), but I would be willing to create another character as well if needed.

Fantasy
- Laochan's Island (Egg Hatching) - This isn't something I've seen much of here, but the basic idea of an Egg Hatching RP is that characters interact with GM-controlled eggs to hatch a creature that will become like a familiar. It's usually done as a character development exercise and can take many varied forms. In this case, your character would find themselves washed up on an island where they meet a strange little boy under a curse and some unusual magical eggs. One of the eggs will hatch and become your character's companion, but that's just the beginning as they have to find a way to survive on the island and break the curse to allow them to go home.
Alternatively, I could choose a creature for your character and we could have the character-creature relationship in another setting or concept.
- Starstrider (Sci-fi exploration) - A group of refugees fleeing their planet crash onto a new one which, mercifully, is close enough to their own for them to survive. But although they can clearly see that a civilization once existed here, there's no sign of them. They must find a way to survive on this new planet while establishing a new community there and trying to figure out what happened to the previous inhabitants. (This is based off a book series I'm wanting to write.)

Fandom
- Pathfinder (ST:VOY) - It's ten years since the crew of the Voyager have returned home from their harrowing and magnificent journey into the furthest reaches of space. Using the knowledge gleaned from their seven-year excursion, Starfleet has developed a new program to extend their exploration of the Delta Quadrant, named Pathfinder in honor of the program that established contact with them. Although not as isolated as Voyager had been, Pathfinder will still have to deal with many issues on their own as they continue to explore and make contact with cultures both new and old. (Think a cross between DS9 and VOY.)
In no particular order:
- Time travel
- Ocean-based fantasy
- Dwarves
- TAZ: Balance (maybe Amnesty?)
- Star Trek: TNG/VOY
- Kelpies/selkies
- Mythology/folklore
- Dragons
- Friendship between former enemies
- The Once and Future King
- MCU
- Identity and belonging
- Enduring through fear/being overwhelmed
- Warrior poets
- A:TLA
- Unlikely heroes/characters that don't fit the mold
- Patriot or Traitor?
- Disney
- The Dragon Prince
So, for now at least, I think that's about it! I may add more if I think of anything. Feel free to pitch your own ideas to me as well, maybe we can work something out!

Last edited:
Hello! The combination of Irish culture and fantasy genre sounds like a fantastic combination! I just joined the forums here, so am learning my way around. I am EST - would the time zone difference be a problem? I also have a discord and use it daily, so OOC chatter/world building done there would be excellent.

Ahh, well then, welcome! Hope you're enjoying your time here so far.

No, I wouldn't expect the time-zone to be that much of an issue. I just figured I'd put it out there just for reference.

I'll send you a PM with my Discord and maybe we can discuss stuff there! (:

Sorry for the late reply. It's after midnight here and I'm about to head to bed. I tried responding to your PM but the website says no :p I did add you on discord. Hopefully we can connect tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back