• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Caught in the Waves (Closed)

Ella barely heard Josephine's apology, not because she didn't care but because she was so eager to see Peter again. It had been over a month now since she'd held him in her arms, kissed him. And as usual, she didn't give a damn what anyone else thought about it. Everything felt so surreal, but Peter was here. He was real, and he was safe now. Ella had never been happier in all her life. She made a similar sobbing sound at his words and leaned in, letting him crush his lips against hers. It was wildly inappropriate for a young couple, not even engaged, to be interacting in such a way in public, but neither Ella nor Peter cared. Ella tightened her arms around his neck so that her toes nearly lifted off the ground and kissed him passionately- she'd almost forgotten how good it felt. Finally they separated, but only long enough for Ella to catch her breath and gaze up into his eyes. "I love you," she said breathlessly. "I love you more than anything." And she kissed him again.

She could tell that he had lost weight, that he wasn't as healthy as he had been when he'd left for his trip, but Ella would fix that. She'd get him back to feeling like himself, and she'd spend every moment next to him until she did. "We'll have to get you back home," she murmured softly, tucking his hair back. "A warm bath, some proper food, a good night's rest and you'll be good as new." It hadn't occurred to her that Father might not allow Peter back into their estate yet.

Alec, however, had thought about it. He wasn't surprised when Mr. Sinclair accepted his offer. There was no way that he was going to let him back into the estate after learning that he and Ella had been sleeping together behind his back. He sighed, looking from the happily reunited couple to Josephine. He slid his arm around her shoulder and pressed a kiss to her temple, shaking his head. "I don't know, love," he admitted. "I don't know how he could possibly find a marriage for Ella after what's happened today, but I don't know that he'll approve of them either. I also don't know..." he glanced back and Peter and Ella, who couldn't keep their hands off of each other, "that them separating is an option anymore." But, Alec wasn't too worried about it right now. They'd gotten through today, and that had been the scariest thing. "He's going to live, though," he reminded Josephine. "He was found innocent. Let's be happy with that for right now."

With that, he moved over towards Ella and Peter as they stopped kissing. "Peter," he said, nodding. "Words can't express how sorry Josephine and I are for what happened to you. You never deserved that. Unfortunately Mr. Sinclair is not quite ready to open up the estate to you again, but you're welcome to stay at my place for as long as you need."

Ella wrapped her arms around Peter's torso, holding him tight as Alec spoke. "What do you mean he can't come back to the estate?" she asked. "He's coming with me." Alec smiled kindly, glancing back to where Mr. Sinclair was talking to Mr. Lawrence.

"I think you'll have to talk to your father about that, Ella," he said. "But why don't we step outside while we wait? I sure could use some fresh air." The courtroom had gotten a bit stuffy over the course of the day, and Alec hated being cooped up indoors for too long. He was itching to get outside, and honestly being in the courtroom made him feel nervous.

By this point, Peter had grown tired of caring whether he projected a good image. Clearly the changes in his life had payed off during the trial, but when it came to this particular moment, he wouldn't hold back. It had been weeks since he'd been able to kiss Ella, and if he was going to kiss her, it was going to be good and proper. Everybody else be damned. And it was completely worth it, because he felt all of his anxiety and stress roll off his back the minute their lips touched.

"I love you, too," he said, then smiled as she doted on him. No doubt she would be continuing to do that for the next few days, but he was fine. Just a little shaken up, for the most part. He already felt better just having her in his arms again. Beyond what would happen in the next few days, he wasn't completely sure about, but he wanted to refocus his efforts on Ella for a little while. Touching the ends of her hair, he leaned forward and gave her a kiss on the forehead. "You're amazing, you know?" Her plan had worked.

Josie hadn't really expected Ella to listen much to her right now. Had that been Alec up for trial, she knew she wouldn't want to focus on anybody else either, so she took no offence. However, her father's reaction to Peter annoyed her. Her own thoughts were difficult to reconcile with, but if she could put the things she disliked about him behind her because Peter made Ella happy, then father should too. Alec was right though, the important thing was that Peter was alive. That meant there was more hope for Ella and Peter than before.

"I don't know, either," she said, watching them for a moment while she gave Alec a hug. His presence here today meant a lot to her, to Ella she was sure as well. "But alright," she agreed. They could only really take each moment as it came.

She followed Alec over to the others. By now, surely Peter had figured out how everything had happened. He didn't look angry with them, but it was hard to say given how fresh everything was. So Josephine touched his arm lightly and added to Alec's apology, "For our part in it, too. I swear, it was an accident." Not that she expected him to forgive them, but an apology, whether it was accepted or not, still meant something more than no apology given at all.

Honestly, Peter hadn't had much time to dwell on it. He had been too worried about his own life, about Ella, to really think about how he felt towards Alec and Josephine right now. Their apologies felt sincere though, and he could completely understand how they felt the way they did to be talking about him in the first place. He didn't really want to drag this out any more. If he could put it behind them and move on so he could focus on healing and building his life again, then he could accept their apologies. So he nodded. "No need to talk about it right now," he said. He felt like saying "It's alright" was a bit too dismissive, and whether he could forgive them right away was up for debate. Even if he wanted to, he knew it was easier said than done. He needed time and space before he could say it and mean it.

Hearing that Mr. Sinclair was kicking him out of the estate was a little unexpected and hard to hear, however. He had to admit, he was a little confused. Sure, Mr. Sinclair had been the reason he'd been arrested, but after being found innocent, he thought maybe it would soothe any of Ella's father's worries. But if he was uncertain, then it was best not to push his buttons and give him any more reason to worry. Rubbing circles into the small of Ella's back, he sighed. "It's alright, Ella. If your father doesn't want me back right now, we better not push our luck." To Alec, he nodded. He didn't really want to encroach on anyone's space, but if Alec was offering, it wasn't like there was anywhere else better to go. "Thank you, Alec. If you're sure you don't mind."

Knowing her sister well, Josephine agreed with Alec that it was probably best to wait outside. She was afraid if given the chance, Ella would hunt their father down and demand Peter stay with them right now. Especially since emotions were running high. She was also feeling cramped inside the courthouse herself. "Come on," she said. "We'll figure the rest out once we have a moment to let everything die down."

Ella was definitely planning on fussing over Peter for the next week, at least. She wanted to make sure he got back to feeling like himself as soon as possible, and she had no intention of leaving his side unless he wanted her to. It had been too long since she'd last gotten to see him under even halfway happy circumstances, and Ella was eager to get everything back to normal. She beamed up at Peter adoringly, shaking her head. "You're amazing," she countered. "You've been so brave with everything." Ella didn't know how she could have lasted two weeks in a prison cell. But now he was free, he wasn't headed to the gallows, and she was going to make it her personal mission to spoil him from now on.

She hugged him tightly, almost protectively when Alec and Josephine came up. Ella didn't know how Peter was feeling towards them now, and neither was she- obviously she was still upset with them, but they had both testified outstandingly and helped win Peter his freedom back, so in the end there was no real harm done. Ella knew that she would come to forgive them both eventually, but her happiness was lessened somewhat at the revelation that Peter couldn't come home with them. Well, what was she going to do then? Ella wasn't leaving him, especially not today. But it wasn't hard to guess the reason why, and she realized suddenly that Peter wasn't exactly up to speed on everything. They'd talk about it, but not in here.

"We'll figure it out," she sighed, leaning her head against his chest. She didn't want to confront her father right this second- she wanted to focus on Peter, but they were going to have to drag her away from him if he wasn't allowed to come home. It was nice of Alec to offer his place, though. Josephine spent a lot of time there with Alec anyways, so she could tag along.

Alec really did want Peter to come and stay with him, for as long as he needed. He felt that it was the least that he could do, with everything that had happened. If Peter wanted the spare bedroom, it was his. "Well, I could use an extra stable hand," he joked. In all seriousness, Alec wouldn't mind putting Peter to work and compensating him for it if he wanted, but he would probably need a little while to recuperate. Maybe Mr. Lawrence would be willing to hire him back, too. If not, Peter was a hard worker and Alec knew he would find something. He just needed a little bit of time.

"Let's go," Alec said softly. He took Josephine's hand and led her out of the courthouse, Ella and Peter following close behind. Ella found a bench across the street and led Peter over to it, sitting down and leaning her head on his shoulder.

"Father knows," she said softly, glancing up at him. "He knows that we..." she turned slightly pink, knowing that he would understand what she meant. "That's why he won't let you come home." She sighed again, hugging his arm. "Maybe it's for the best. I don't want you to have to worry about him, giving you a hard time."

Peter didn't know about brave. It wasn't as though he had much choice in the matter but to deal with it somehow. Lucky, was really the better term to use here. Lucky to live, but even luckier to have somebody like Ella fight for him. She was always fighting for him. He would never, ever take that for granted, which was why now he didn't even bother arguing with her. He wiped a stray hair from her cheek, gave her a soft case. "You're brave, too. What you did today was something I'll never forget."

Of course Alec and Josephine's testimonies didn't go unnoticed. He was thankful for their help as well. Without them, he would never have been found innocent. They didn't have to like him, but the fact that they were willing to speak up for him, even if it was only for Ella, meant a lot. Perhaps there was progress being made, which meant there was hope for the future. Only now, the one person whose support he always had was suddenly cold towards him. Admittedly, Mr. Sinclair's sudden rejection did sting. This was a man he could have regarded as a father - more than Tom had ever been - and he just turned him away from what he was starting to consider his home. He didn't even want to think about what Mr. Lawrence thought right now. Job security was another matter entirely.

Following Ella outside, he sat beside her. Clearly she knew more about what was happening than he did, and when she explained that Mr. Sinclair had found out, he paled. "Oh," he said, not as embarrassed by the matter as Ella was, but a little bit ashamed. He didn't regret that they had slept together, but he somehow knew the decision would have consequences like this. "And... I suppose that's because he heard Josephine and Alec talk about it," he added as he put the puzzle together. So they had left that part out of the actual testimonies, for which he was thankful, but... had Josephine not found them they might not have been here in the first place. If Peter had done what he knew was the smart thing, he would have made them wait. Maybe then there would have been nothing to overhear.

With a long sigh, he shook his head. He was too tired to sort out how he felt. "Hard to believe he liked me better than Alec at one point, huh?" It wasn't like he could take that back, not that he wanted to anyway. "What do you think that means for us?" he dared to ask. It wasn't like any "proper" gentleman would want a woman he knew had already been with somebody else. Although he knew it happened all the time, people just didn't dare talk about it. But on the other, if a father knew a man had gone to bed with his daughter, he wouldn't exactly blame them if they wanted nothing to do with that man anymore.

Josephine wanted to give the two of them space, especially since they would need to go their separate ways again soon. So she and Alec stayed their way across the street, and after a few moments, she broke the silence. "It was nice of you to offer the spare room," she said, although part of her was a little annoyed he didn't ask for her input before offering. She knew it wasn't technically her home yet, but it would be. How long would Peter be staying? To say any of this though, she knew would be a bit petty, so she tried to focus on the fact Alec was trying to do a good thing. It wasn't as though Josie would be moving in anytime soon, so hopefully by the time things got settled he would be gone and out. And it was a good thing, what Alec was trying to do.

"She's still upset with me," she commented, looking to Ella from across the way. Of course, nothing would change in a day, but now that they had done what they could, she felt restless. "She won't hardly even say anything to me at all."

Ella wasn't so sure she was brave; determined was probably more accurate, but there was no way she was going to let Peter die. "Selfish, maybe," she joked in response, holding him closer. "I don't know what I'd do without you." But, she would accept the compliment. It hadn't been easy to get up there, and she had no desire to do it again anytime soon.

Outside, it seemed like a safer place to tell him the truth about why her father wasn't letting him come back to the state. Now that she thought about it Ella wasn't surprised, but she was disappointed. She didn't want to go home without Peter. She couldn't leave him so soon. Maybe it would have been smarter of them to wait, but Ella couldn't bring herself to regret it. Who cared? As far as Ella was concerned they were getting married anyways. She'd ruin her own reputation if that was what it took, and her father would be an idiot to put that past her. She was upset about the way her father had found out, though. "Yes, they were talking about it," Ella sighed. "They got quite an earful for it, too. I found out after we came back from seeing you." Ella was still pretty upset about Josephine revealing the private details of her life to Alec, but her sister clearly saw it from a different perspective. And while Ella couldn't definitively say that she wouldn't have mentioned it to Peter if their positions were reversed, she certainly wouldn't have used it as grounds to criticize her sister's relationship. But what was done was done.

As for what it meant for them...that was almost too heavy of a question for Ella to answer right now. They would have to see how things played out. "I don't know," she murmured, leaning in closer to him and clinging to his arm. "I don't know, but I can't lose you again. If things don't go our way we can elope or something. Don't you think?" She leaned over and pressed a lingering kiss against his lips, running her fingertips through his hair. "I promised I wouldn't settle, and I don't intend to."

Alec looked over at Peter and Ella, settled down across the street. He knew that they would have to drag Ella home kicking and screaming if Peter wasn't allowed to come with, but maybe Mr. Sinclair would at least allow him to come long enough to gather his few belongings, gifts from Ella, things of that sort. He leaned against the wall of the courthouse with his hands in his pockets, thinking it all over. Like everyone else, he was feeling overwhelmed. They'd been successful, but there was still so much they didn't know. He glanced towards Josephine at her comment, reaching for her hand and drawing her to him. "He'd be homeless if I didn't," he reasoned. "I knew your father wasn't going to let him come back to the estate. Couldn't just leave him with nowhere to go." Alec didn't think that Peter would be staying for very long- once he recovered, he wasn't the type to sit still. Besides, the two men had never gotten along amazingly in the past.

When Josie still seemed concerned about Ella, Alec had to crack a smile. He shook his head a pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Give it an hour, maybe?" he suggested teasingly. "Peter's been free for ten minutes, and they haven't talked in a month. I don't think we're a priority right now, love." And that was okay, as far as Alec was concerned. "Ella focuses on one thing at a time. I doubt she's even thought about it yet."

"I'm sure they did," Peter agreed. Ella was fiery. He was not surprised to hear that Josephine and Alec got an earful from her. Sadly, he doubted that a lecture would do much to fix this particular blunder. He wasn't going to be hung now, at least, and for that he was grateful. It would take a few days for it to really sink in as the shock started to wear off, but if it wasn't one thing, it was now another threatening their relationship. Was this how Alec and Josephine felt the entire two years they'd been together? If he didn't love Ella with all his heart, he would wonder why anybody put themselves through this complicated matter of relationships and protective fathers and sisters.

"Well, there's nothing we can do about it now, I suppose," he said. "Except maybe try and be a little more careful." Something Josie had said in her testimony certainly rang true - he was a bit reckless. So was Ella. Together, though he didn't regret it all, they had made a couple questionable decisions. "I can't exactly be bothered by your father's decision. A lot of men would have had the same reaction if it were their daughter, even where I come from." Of course, he'd miss having her so close while they figured things out. Especially since it had been so long since they'd gotten to spend any sort of time together.

Taking her hand, he gave the back of it a kiss. "I don't know, either," he admitted, then smiled as she responded with the typically stubborn thing he would expect from Ella. Eloping. That was... that was not really something he had given much thought to. He didn't think they would ever need to before now. He still struggled with this need to try and have her family accept him. Apparently that was near impossible. "Let's just wait and see what happens first, alright? Maybe it's not entirely a lost cause. I mean, look at what happened with Josephine and Alec." That alone proved that their father could be understanding. "Besides, if we could survive all this, nothing is going to keep us apart."

Josie knew that Alec was right. Everyday she was reminded of how much of a better person Alec was than her. She tried her best, but there was no way she could be that selfless all the time. Meanwhile, here Alec was, willing to put aside personal feelings and opinions to offer a man shelter when he had none. "I know," she said. "And that's why I love you." She gave him a kiss on the cheek. "But you do also realize that we have to be more cautious now, too. Father's going to be stricter than ever now, and if Peter's at your house, he might not even let me go." And if she did go, she knew Ella would want to tag along. It wasn't that she didn't want to give her sister that, but it had been harder and harder to find time to spend with Alec alone. They'd only really been able to enjoy that for a few weeks at most, and there was still so many things she was trying to push Alec to do. Not just more intimate things, but spending time together outside of the house. Going for a picnic. The theater. Those sorts of things. She loved him, but it did at times drive her crazy with how slow he wanted to take their relationship, especially when Josephine was so eager to show him off to the world. She was proud to have snagged such a wonderful man.

She knew he was also right about how impatient with Ella she was being. She just couldn't help it. It was killing her, not knowing whether Ella would forgive her. "I just hate waiting," she said. "Two weeks of hardly talking's difficult. And it's Ella. She's always talking." She cracked a faint smile, knowing that talking was a habit she herself was especially prone to. "At least it seems that way. Maybe it's just me who does most of the talking, but she hardly listens now anyway, so I'm just noticing it more." Particularly after having shared everything with each other their whole lives, silence was deafening.

Ella knew that together, they were a pretty reckless couple. They did things that most people would say were crazy, but for them it was completely normal. That was why they were so great together, and why she knew that no one would ever be a better match for her than Peter was. She couldn't believe that was what Josie thought. "We'll be more careful," she agreed with a smile. "But just a little bit." She did understand why her father had made the decision that he had, even if she didn't like it. It was just unfortunate that he knew about it; everyone knew. Ella wished that was something that could have remained private- she didn't like everyone knowing, and honestly, it would make it more difficult for them to do it again. "And I'm staying with you today," she informed him, taking his hand and squeezing it. "I'll go home tomorrow, but I'm your girlfriend and it's my job to make sure you're taken care of." That was probably the most domestic sentence Ella had ever uttered, but it was true. He'd taken care of her when she was sick, and even though he wasn't sick he was still weak. Ella could repay the favor a little bit, or at least read to him if he wanted.

She did consider it a small victory that he didn't shut her down right away on the eloping idea. Ella was all for trying to make it work with her family, but if they couldn't figure it out then Ella was going to find a way to make it work. If eloping was the solution, then that's what they would do. She thought that Alec and Josephine's situation was a little bit different, but she knew that there was still hope. "True," she agreed. "It's not a lost cause. Especially since no one else would be crazy enough to marry me." She said it jokingly, but it was true. Ella hadn't hidden her personality today; she wasn't a woman who was afraid to go against the status quo. Lots of men didn't like that, and even if they did, the Sinclair girls had a reputation for being a little bit out of control.

Alec thought that Josephine was overthinking things a little bit. He gave her a smile and shook his head. "I don't think it's going to change much for us," he disagreed, "unless Ella starts causing trouble. But I think you'll still be allowed to come over." He also didn't think that having Peter there would really disrupt their time together much. He doubted that Peter would want to infringe upon that, and Ella and Peter preferred to go out more anyways. And if he and Josie did end up deciding to go out- an idea that Alec was finally starting to warm up to- then they would easily be able to separate themselves and have their time alone. He did recognize that Ella wanting to come over might pose a problem, but it wasn't Alec and Josephine's problem to deal with and he didn't think they should treat it like it was. "Peter isn't going to change anything for us," he told her, squeezing her tight. "I promise. If he's a problem, I'll find somewhere else for him to go." Alec wanted to help Peter, but his relationship with Josephine was also a priority. He didn't want anything to change that.

He knew it was hard for her to not have her sister as that core relationship anymore, but Alec was confident she would come back around. Right now, though, Ella's attention was elsewhere and Alec didn't think they should expect anything less. He watched from afar as the girl fussed over Peter, kissing him and combing her fingers through his tangled hair and trying to straighten up his clothes. "Does Ella ever listen to anyone?" he asked wryly. Then, "Don't worry about it too much yet. Talk to her tonight, when Peter's at my place and won't be distracting her. You'll probably have to be the one to convince her to come back home, anyways," he pointed out.

Peter managed a small chuckle. He would love to have Ella with him for the night. Being without her in that cold, dark cell at the prison was pretty lonesome. He'd missed her, and couldn't imagine a single day more without her. However, he wasn't so sure that it would go over very well with her father if she insisted on staying with him. "I'd love that," he said. "But I don't think your father would very much." He knew things were already messed up, so in some ways it did feel like there wasn't much damage left to be done. That didn't mean that he was comfortable completely blowing off any of Mr. Sinclair's wishes. Why make things worse than they already were? "And I assure you, you've already taken very good care of me. I'm capable of taking care of myself if I need to."

It was true that the girls had a reputation these days. There were not many men left who could handle, let alone actually like, the kind of women the Sinclairs were. Although, Peter was quite happy with his choice. "What do you mean?" he teased. "I think they'd be crazy not to want to marry you." Mr. Sinclair's options for Ella were a lot more limited now than they had been before, at least, and though it bothered Peter that men in her class could be so closed minded, it was somewhat of a saving grace for their relationship. "They'll have to go through me first, though."

Maybe she was overthinking it a bit, but after everything this whole family had gone through, it wasn't as though anything would be unexpected anymore. Their father hardly trusted them anymore, and knowing that Ella and Peter had slept together made Josephine worried that he was going to be watching her with more critical eyes now too. Even if they didn't do anything, even if they waited, having the thought that he was watching so closely hanging over her head was a little suffocating. Alec did do a good job of easing some of those worries though, and she relaxed as he held her tightly. "Okay. Just as long as he's out before I officially move in," she grinned.

Josie watched the two as well. If there was one thing to say about their relationship, it was that Peter did make Ella happy. That was clear by the way she doted on him all the time. People only did that when they cared a lot for a person, and she knew that simply because she was like that with Alec too. If Ella felt even an inkling of what Josephine did for Alec, then maybe she could finally get used to the idea of Peter sticking around. "No, not really," she answered. "But you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if Ella tried to be your guest tonight, too."

Ella was getting to the point where she couldn't care less what her father had to say about anything. What did he know about anything? But she'd meant what she said when she testified that Peter was a better person than her, and this was just one of the reasons why. Regardless of how their father was treating him currently, he was willing to be the bigger person and honor his wishes still. Ella didn't understand, but she loved him for it. Still...he wasn't getting rid of her that easy. "Well, we'll see how things go," she said. "Not overnight, but I can probably manage a little while. I'm very convincing, if you hadn't noticed." More like demanding and stubborn, but who cared? Ella would bring over his clothes and belongings from the house and she'd stay with him for a bit. It was going to be hard to leave him, and she didn't want him to have to spend one more night alone. She couldn't fix that entirely, but she could help a little bit. "Maybe when you're all rested up we could go to the lake, like we said," she suggested. "You were going to teach me to swim. Speaking of, did you like my story?" She hadn't taken off her fish necklace, and she was curious to hear what he thought of her present.

He easily made her forget their troubles though. His smile warmed her heart and she laughed, pressing a kiss against his cheek. She knew that no one else would want to marry her, but Ella was quite alright with that. "Well, thankfully yours is the only opinion I give a damn about," she replied. And truly that was the case. It didn't matter to Ella if other men loved her or hated her, it only mattered what Peter thought. And he loved her, no matter how crazy she was. She laughed at the mental picture of him standing up to her potential suitors and shook her head. "As much as I'd love to see that," she said, "I get a say. And I say you don't have any competition." Her father had said that he would work on arranging a marriage for her, in which Ella feared she would have no say, but she kept the eloping plan in her back pocket. Just in case.

Alec's lips twisted into a smile and he chuckled a little bit, shaking his head. "Oh, I don't think he'd want that either," he pointed out. "But hey, who says you're moving in?" he teased, nudging her. "I don't recall proposing." Honestly, he was more concerned about Ella crowding his space than he was Peter. Peter would stay out of the way and take some time to himself, most likely. Ella wasn't going to want to leave, and Alec was worried that he was going to be the one to have to kick her out.

"Now, Ella is your responsibility," he said to Josephine with a smirk. "I'm not going to be held responsible for anything she does. But I swear, if the two of them start messing around in my house, we're going to have a problem." He said it mostly as a joke, but he was serious about that. That wasn't going to happen under his watch. Not only did he mildly disagree with the practice, he didn't want to be getting in trouble for it. He didn't want he and Josephine to become guilty by association, either. Sighing, he glanced back at the courthouse doors. "What do you think he wanted to talk to Mr. Lawrence about?" he asked Josephine.

Peter did have to admire Ella's persistence. He chuckled, and pulled her to him, wrapping his arm tightly around her shoulders. "I've noticed," he said endearingly. He wasn't sure what Ella might manage to pull with her father, but they'd get there when they got there. For now he just wanted to enjoy her presence without too much worry. If Mr. Sinclair didn't let her come to the house at all, they'd find a way. The lake idea was particularly appealing. It had been weeks since he'd seen the water, and although it wasn't the ocean, the lake would do. "We could do that," he agreed. "And I loved your story. You're a very talented woman," he grinned, placing a kiss on the top of her head.

Peter did fear somewhere in the back of his head that Ella wouldn't want to go through the trouble of being with him. That it might be easier for her to just marry one of her father's suitors for her. To hear her say he didn't have competition did warm his heart, though, and he would just have to trust her that that was the case. "Well I'm glad I have your affection," he said. "And just so you're clear, you don't have much competition either."

Josephine returned the smile, and gave Alec a little nudge of her own. "I do. You don't have a say in the matter," she said confidently. If she could, she'd be packing already and moved in by tomorrow if her father would let her. Unfortunately, there was the little matter of actual engagement and marriage to be had first, which, speaking of, she was wondering when it would actually be. Alec's business was started, her father was officially on board with their relationship, things were going swell between the two of them. All Alec had to do was ask the question. "And you should, because I'm a catch," she added, leaning in to place a playful kiss on his lips.

"You think I can control anything that girl does?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "Believe me, I've tried." She laughed quietly, trying to make light of some of the frustrations her sister had given her over the years. Especially the last few months. As far as whether they messed around, "I don't think they'd be that reckless, but I don't know. They've surprised me before. Maybe it's best you enforce an open door policy just in case if you're worried." Not that they probably wouldn't find a way if they really wanted to, but Josie didn't much want to think about it.

She glanced with him at the courthouse and frowned. "I don't know," she said. "Probably something about Peter's job, I assume. Or maybe about the trial in general." It was hard to say what exactly her father was going to do now.

Ella was glad he'd liked her little story. She wasn't sure if he still had it or if he'd ever be able to read it again, but either way it was fine. Ella was just glad that it had helped her communicate the plan that had ended up saving his life, regardless if where it was now. "Not really," she disagreed, smiling up at him. "Just bored without you to keep me busy." She wasn't sure how often she'd be able to see him now, but Ella would try her hardest and they'd go on little trips in secret if they had to. After what they'd just gone through, no one could stop them.

He really didn't have any competition, though. Not only had few men showed Ella any interest in the past, but she had never been interested in any of them. Not even close. She laughed, raising her eyebrows at his comment. "What do you mean, not much?" she asked teasingly. "Don't tell me you met that exotic dancer I was worried about."

Alec hadn't proposed yet because, although his little business was growing and becoming successful, he still wasn't sure that he was making the money he needed to support a family. But he was thinking about it, soon. He had to request official permission from Mr. Sinclair first, and when everything with Peter settled down he intended to do that. He knew that Josephine wanted him to get moving, and Alec kind of didn't like the pressure, but at the same time he knew that the right time was coming. He needed to do right by Josephine, and not make her wait any longer because he was nervous that she would change her mind. She'd proven to him time and time again that she was committed, and he needed to trust that. If he didn't, they would never have the life they'd imagined. "Patience, love," he smiled, kissing her back briefly. "If you thought I was going to ask while Peter was in jail, you're crazy." Alec didn't want to cross Ella, but that would have been insensitive.

But as for the two of them being in his house, an open door policy was probably best. Alec didn't want to act like a parent, but the fact of the matter was that Ella and Peter had demonstrated a tendency to get carried away from their very first moments alone together, and Alec didn't trust them much. "I guess I'll figure something out," he said, "if we get that far. First Ella has to figure out how to get to my place, or Peter to yours." He definitely didn't see the latter happening. Peter wasn't stupid enough to try and climb through Ella's window or something like that, but they weren't going to settle for not seeing each other. He was certain of that.

It was a few moments later that Mr. Sinclair finally came outside to see where his daughters had gotten off to. He stopped next to Josephine and Alec, his hands in his pockets and his moth pressed into a thin line. He wasn't very happy, and anyone could see it. He'd spoken briefly with Mr. Lawrence regarding Peter's employment, but his friend hadn't seemed to make a decision. It was difficult to fire a person who had been a good worker and now had a clear name, but it was a tough call. What if he was a pirate? As for Mr. Sinclair's part, he didn't believe that he'd misinterpreted that conversation at all.

"Josephine, I thought I asked you to collect your sister," he said firmly, glancing across the street to where Ella was shamelessly fawning over Peter. "We're leaving. Alec, you have a way home?"

"Yes, sir. I'll find a way back for Peter and I, but if Josie could bring my horse back this evening I would greatly appreciate it." Alec had rode in with the Sinclairs and so Nielson was in their stables, but he didn't want to make things more difficult and he didn't fancy sharing his horse with Peter, either.

"Of course. Ella," he called, catching the attention of his younger daughter, "come here." Ella visibly sighed and took Peter's hand, leading him across the street to where the rest of her family stood.

"Peter will need to come home to get his things," she said. "And then he-"

"No, Ella. Josephine will return his things this evening, with Alec's horse. And you," he turned to Peter, "are not permitted to be with my daughter until further notice. Do you understand?"

"Yes, really," Peter insisted, kissing the back of her hand. "Miss university bound. My girlfriend has a brain, and she better let me shower her with compliments for it." He still thought she could write a book one day. All she had to do was take a leap of faith.

He had to laugh at her exotic dancer comment though. "Oh, I'm so sorry. I misspoke. No competition," he said. "And no exotic dancers. Unless you count Finn's drunken entanglement with a broom. But Finn has a beer belly. And he's balding. So he's not exactly a beauty beyond compare." He didn't know if Mr. Lawrence would give him his job back, but if not, he would certainly miss the crew. They were a lively bunch much like some of the old crew on the pirate ship. Albeit, they were less inclined to steal and cheat. They still drank and sang, danced, and played cards as terribly as the pirates though.

"Patience? Me? Never," Josephine said with a small bemused smile. She really did try to be for Alec, but there was no denying she was also incredibly eager to start a future with him. It had been such an incredibly long run of not even knowing whether they would have one together at all, that knowing they finally could made her excited to see what it would be like. Plus, she knew it was silly after everything they'd been through, but a part of her did worry the longer he waited that maybe he was unsure if he really wanted to be with her. There was still so much yet he seemed unwilling to do, and after two years, it was difficult for her to understand why not. "And of course not. I'm just saying. You're a lucky man." She grinned, and took hold of his hand.

The grin faded as Alec pointed out Ella would probably need to sneak over to Alec's, or Peter to theirs, to even get to see Peter. It was a lot like how Josephine used to have to sneak out at night to go to the stables to see Alec. It was sad, and difficult, and she knew exactly how Ella might feel. She didn't want her sister to go through that. She also worried what father might say or do if he found out. It was already complicated enough with Peter just getting out of jail, but... "Well, he can't go to ours. Father would probably have his arrested for trespassing if he found out, and then it would be this all over again." But if Ella went to Alec's and found out, then she and Alec were guilty by association. "I don't know. I'm not really sure how all of this is going to work."

And then as if on cue, Mr. Sinclair showed up. Josie frowned, not appreciating the tone her father automatically took with her. She didn't feel as though there was anything wrong with letting Ella spend a few minutes alone with Peter. After not knowing if she'd ever see him alive again, and then now not knowing when she'd get to see him at all again, she thought Ella deserved a moment or two alone with the man she loved. She was grateful for the excuse to see Alec again later, but was also saddened to leave. The somewhat happy again mood was ruined by the presence of her concerned father, and rather than make it worse, she just sighed and gave Alec a hug and a kiss.

"I'll see you tonight," she said, then slipped away from him to go wait in the carriage.

Peter's momentary moment of happiness also faded as Mr. Sinclair called his daughter to him. He reluctantly followed. He was not sure what their father thought of him now, but he could read on his face even from a distance the displeasure.

He gave Mr. Sinclair a saddened look. Not that he knew what to expect after the trial, but it was still a blow to hear that he no longer approved of their relationship. Not that long ago, Mr. Sinclair had loved him. And now... he couldn't do much but nod. It was better not to antagonize the man right now. It was probably better to give him a few days. "Yes, sir," he said, giving Ella an apologetic look.

((Sorry for the delay! Crazy week!))

Ella smiled. She was excited to start her classes at the university...but the way everything was looking, she wasn't too sure if it was going to work out so nicely anymore. "Well, if we don't have to run away," she said softly, thinking about it. Eloping, as she'd suggested, would mean giving up going to university at least for a little while, if not permanently. She could always return at some point and get her degree, but she didn't know how things were going to work out if that was what it came down to. She really hoped it didn't, but it was hard to say.

He made her smile again with his joking, though, and soon enough she was laughing. She hadn't laughed in weeks, but Peter was always able to make her smile. She didn't know how he did it. He understood her, and her sense of humor, and Ella couldn't imagine another day without him. "I love you," came her reply as she leaned in to kiss him, still smiling. "I'm so happy you're safe." And she did hope that he was able to get his job back. Ella didn't see why not. Mr. Lawrence had already testified to his work ethic and Ella knew that Peter had liked the job. But it was just one more thing that remained uncertain. If they ran away, he'd have to leave his job behind whether Mr. Lawrence offered it back to him or not. But if they stayed, he needed it.

Alec did wish that Josephine would be a little more patient with him sometimes, and understand that his caution wasn't because he didn't love her, but because he did. He loved very differently from how Peter loved Ella, and neither was any more legitimate, but sometimes he worried that what Josephine wanted was someone more like Peter. Someone more adventurous, reckless even. That wasn't Alec. He was dependable, but he took his time and in regards to their wedding, he wasn't proposing until he was certain he had the money to support a family. He was rapidly approaching that point and was planning on proposing in the next couple weeks, but two years really wasn't that long in his opinion, especially when they were in a stage of reworking their relationship. But he knew that he was lucky, and the last thing he wanted was to disappoint her. "I know, love," he said with a slight smile. "But trust me. I'll ask when it's the right time."

He really wasn't sure what to do about Ella in his house, but he supposed they'd have to wait for Mr. Sinclair's opinion on it all, and then Josephine could talk to Ella about it. Ella never listened, but Alec knew that she wouldn't want to do anything that would hurt her sister and maybe they could sort things on on those grounds. If Ella and Peter wanted to spend time together, which he was sure they would, maybe they could do it somewhere off of Alec's property, to keep any guilt from falling on Alec and Josephine. Alec wished that he didn't have to care about that, but now that he was getting ready to propose he didn't want to take any chances. They couldn't mess this up now.

He sighed when Mr. Sinclair approached them and leaned into give Josephine a hug, kissing her back. "See you tonight," he echoed. But instead of leaving, he waited as Peter and Ella approached, knowing that he would be taking him home.

And Ella never made things easy. When Mr. Sinclair decided they weren't allowed to see each other for a while, she gripped Peter's hand tighter. Her expression hardened. "No," she disagreed sharply. "No, he needs me right now. He's been in jail for two weeks!"

"I'm sure Alec is more than capable of-"

"Alec is busy trying to save up for Josephine," Ella reminded him harshly. "He doesn't have time to take care of Peter. I can do that."

"Ella-"

"Let me go tonight," she begged him, not willing to give in. "Please. Just let me go with Josephine. I'll help cook dinner or something and make sure he's all settled, so he can rest. You don't need to worry. Then after that, I'll come back and you can have all the time you need to decide. Okay?" Mr. Sinclair looked at his daughter and realized that if he didn't give in, she would go anyways. And maybe one evening to help the poor man get settled, under the supervision of Alec and Josephine, wouldn't be such a bad thing. He wasn't feeling very trusting of his daughters right now, but surely they would keep Ella and Peter from doing anything stupid. And, well...quite honestly, he was worried about his daughter hating him if he didn't give into her. After several weeks of not speaking and seeing her so depressed, he couldn't quite justify prolonging that. No matter how much he distrusted Peter. One night wasn't going to change anything.

"Alright," he consented. "Just for tonight. But you'll go with your sister and be back before midnight. Understood?" Ella's face broke into a smile, and it warmed his heart just a little bit.

"Yes," she agreed. She didn't want to leave Peter at all, but she felt better about it knowing she would see him tonight. "Thank you." With that, she reached up to give Peter a tight hug, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "I'll see you later, okay?" she said. "Don't miss me too much."

"Alright, let's go," Alec finally spoke up, nodding his head towards Peter. "We'll find a carriage to get us home. See you tonight, Ella," he said politely.

(Sorry for the delay again. It's been such a hectic week. The good news is I'm starting full-time soon, so I won't be working two jobs and I'll actually get two days off a week to be more on top of rps)

Peter knew if Ella asked him to, he would run away with her. He just hoped it wouldn't have to come to that at all. He loved Ella and he wanted to be with Ella, and despite recent events, he enjoyed feeling like he had an actual family. Even if Josephine hated him. Even if their father no longer approved of him. He didn't want to just run away unless it was the only way to be with Ella. Somehow he felt like he had to keep proving himself to everybody, and show everyone that he could be good for her. "Don't sacrifice your dreams for me," he said. "We might not have to, and even if we do... we'll find another university for you to go to if that's really what you want."

At least he could still make her laugh, and doing so, he had to smile. "I love you too," he said, kissing her back. And for a while, he was content to let her fuss over him and just enjoy the moment before her father came out.

For Josephine, there wasn't really a "right" time. She would say yes right now if he asked. It didn't matter to her what their life together looked like so long as she was with him. Hell, she'd live in the stables if that was the only place where they could be together. She understood Alec wanted to take his time though, and she appreciated that he was being so diligent. She was practical too, but when it came to matters of the heart, yes, she was a bit more reckless. She just loved so deeply, and with everything they'd been through, she was impatient to start a life with him. There were a million and one things she couldn't wait for them to do together, it just felt like there would never be enough time to get through them all.

She gave him a smile. "So long as you ask eventually, I'm happy," she said before she was forced to say goodbye.

Ella's enthusiasm and fight for Peter was entirely expected, though Peter worried if Ella pushed too hard it would produce a less than desirable outcome. He'd learned just by watching Alec and Josephine that with Mr. Sinclair, it was better to do things on his own terms and be patient. Although, a little fight was good. He was sure if Mr. Sinclair had his way entirely, Peter would be out of Ella's life this very moment.

At least her begging paid off. The future was to be determined, but he did long to have at least one peaceful night with her on the day he found out he was going to live. They could figure out a plan for the rest later. "Thank you, sir," he said, before turning to Ella to say goodbye. He returned the kiss on his cheek with one of his own, and gave her a tight squeeze, wishing he could hold her longer but knowing he had to be respectful of her father's presence. "We'll figure this out. Don't worry."

And with that, the Sinclairs departed. Peter looked to Alec somewhat awkwardly. He was thankful, of course, for his offer, but it was true the two had never been friends. "Thank you again," he said. "You... really didn't have to do this."

((That's awesome! Don't worry about it, I'm getting ready for finals so I'm a total mess right now lol. Sorry for the late reply on my end!))

Ella shook her head. She hadn't even known she wanted to go to university until after she'd met Peter; giving it up for him wouldn't be giving up her dreams at all. She did want to go to university, but she wanted to be with Peter more. If that was what it came down to, the choice was almost too easy. The harder part would be leaving her family, but again, Peter was worth it. She knew that he wanted to be accepted by her family and she hoped that would become a reality for them, but if it didn't they had to have a plan. "It wouldn't be a sacrifice," she told him. "I want you more than I want a piece of paper. And my dream is to see the world with you." That was what she wanted more than anything else in the world. It was that dream that her little story was based on, and she knew she would learn more by traveling than she ever would in a classroom.

"I hope we don't have to," she said after a moment. "But I will, if we need to."

Alec knew that Josephine was eager, and it wasn't that he didn't want to marry her, but he did have a little more patience. Part of their disagreement on the matter came from their different cultures, he was sure of it. Josephine was used to being given what she wanted before she even knew she wanted it. Alec was used to having to work hard before he got what he wanted. All he was doing now was putting that into practice, making sure that he was ready not only mentally and emotionally, but physically as well. Financially. It was difficult for Josephine to understand because she'd never not had money before. Alec was trying to prepare so that she never would.

"I will. When you least expect it," he teased, pressing a kiss to her cheek before she left. He felt a little awkward watching Ella fight with her father for a couple hours with Peter this evening, but he was surprised that it actually worked. He doubted that he and Josephine could have accomplished the same and Ella and Peter were in far worse standing now than they had ever been. But it was likely that Mr. Sinclair had grown weary of fighting his daughters, and was beginning to realize that he couldn't control them while still ensuring their happiness. It was a balance that he was being forced to learn, and he'd never seen Ella as miserable as she'd been in the past couple of weeks.

Satisfied with her small victory for now, Ella squeezed Peter tight, savoring every moment. She'd see him later, but it was hard to leave him all the same. It was hard not to worry, but she nodded anyways. She'd try. "See you tonight," she said softly. She pulled away, dropping his hand and turning towards the family carriage with her father. Immediately, the loss of physical contact filled her with anxiety. She was so afraid that if he didn't stay in her sight, she'd never see him again. It was unrealistic, but she couldn't help it. She tugged at the fabric of her dress as she sat down in the carriage, already counting down the minutes until she could see him again in peace.

"Josephine, Ella will be joining you tonight," Mr. Sinclair announced to his eldest. "Be back before midnight, please."

Alec found a carriage without much trouble and dropped a few coins into the driver's hand before climbing inside with Peter. He looked at the other man, shaking his head. "It's the least I can do," he said, "after my contribution to your troubles. You didn't deserve any of that, and I'm sorry. Don't do anything stupid and we'll be fine." The ride home wasn't long, and when they arrived Alec showed him upstairs to the second bedroom. "Here's yours," he said, nodding. "The washroom is at the end of the hall. I imagine you'll want to get some rest before the girls come back." Time with Ella was likely to be limited, so he didn't figure Peter wanted to be falling asleep while she was here.

(That's okay. Focus on your finals! Once this next week is over, I'm going to be over all way less stressed myself. So hopefully the both of us won't be replying days apart haha)

Peter managed a smile. He was still getting used to somebody loving him so deeply that their idea of happiness involved him. He never thought his own idea of happiness might include a woman either. Yet here they were. He had fallen in love and he couldn't see himself falling out of it anytime soon. He just truly hoped they could try and work something out. To give up now after everything else seemed silly. If it came to it, he knew he'd run away with her if she asked. That didn't mean he wouldn't try to make it right with her family though.

"I know," he said. "Me too." And when it came time to send her off, he did so with a kiss. It was difficult to say goodbye so soon, but at least they would have later to spend some time together. That was somewhat of a miracle, but he wasn't going to argue or debate it. He would take what he could get.

To Alec, Peter set his mouth in a tight line. He hadn't given a lot of what happened much thought yet, but Peter hadn't had the time to digest the betrayal just yet. He wasn't angry, exactly, but there wasn't really another word he could use to explain how he felt. Maybe shocked. A little disappointed. Regardless, it was easy to see that Alec was eager to try and make it up to them. That counted for something. "Look, I understand how difficult it must be for you and Josephine to accept me being with Ella. I've done some awful things in the past, and overall, I've probably been less deserving of what's been handed to me despite those things than you've been given. But I'm a changed person now. I'm never going back to what I was." It would kill him too. He had never really been happy until coming here anyway. "Which is why, although part of me wants to hold a grudge, I'm to let all of this go. From my understanding, it was an accident anyway. And I appreciate the place to stay. I just hope maybe you'll reconsider your thoughts about me." After all, if things went to plan, they'd be brothers-in-law one day.

Arriving at the house, he had to agree. Eyeing the bed, he only now just realized how tired he was. If he really wanted to make the most of later, he would need to get some proper sleep. But first, he needed to wash the prison grim off. "Would you mind if I borrowed some clothes? Just until Ella is able to bring me my things."

Meanwhile Josephine waited patiently in the carriage while Ella and their father negotiated. She still felt guilty, practically sick to her stomach, and was eager to speak with Ella. Thing would probably not change overnight, but she wanted to see if there was hope at all that Ella might forgive her.

When they finally joined her in the carriage, and father announced that she would have to take Ella with her to Alec's tonight, she had to raise an eyebrow in surprise. Really? He had given in so easily? "Yes, father," she said, turning a curious look to her sister. She didn't, and obviously couldn't, say so much now. Not in front of him. So the ride home was mostly silent. She took the opportunity to speak the moment they arrived however, and began to shuffle their separate ways. Father to his office. The girls to their rooms.

"I think that went well," Josephine said carefully, following her sister up the stairs.

((Haha, thanks! Yeah, things will slow down a lot soon :) ))

Alec wasn't sure what Peter wanted him to say. He'd already apologized, and he was offering him a place in his house to make up for it, but...it still didn't seem like enough. Peter was being incredibly gracious and Alec didn't feel like he deserved his forgiveness, but he wasn't about to turn up his nose at it. "Well, thank you for that," he said, glancing back. "I can't speak for Josephine, but I for one will not be passing any more judgments on you and Ella. I learned my lesson." He had to crack a smile at Peter. "You're handling it quite a bit better than Ella did, I must say. She's hardly spoken to any of us in two weeks." She'd be fine now; he didn't say that to worry Peter, but because he was impressed. He hoped that Peter's response would help influence Ella; he knew how hard it had been for Josephine not knowing whether or not her sister would forgive her.

When they arrived, he was more than happy to lend Peter a few of his things. He didn't have much, but they were about the same size. He reached into his small closet and retrieved a comfortable shirt and a loose pair of pants, tossing them across the hall to Peter. "Make yourself at home," he said. "There's some food downstairs as well, if you're hungry." The poor man looked like he hadn't eaten properly in weeks.

At home, Ella's first objective was to get all of Peter's things packed up and ready to go, so that they could leave as soon as possible. While their father went to his office, the girls headed upstairs. Instead of going to her room, though, Ella turned for Peter's. She cast a small smile back at Josephine, nodding. "Yes," she agreed. "Thanks for helping, I don't think he would have made it otherwise." Ella was genuinely grateful for her sister and Alec agreeing to testify on Peter's behalf, and they'd done a good job. But there was still a distance between them, a little part of Ella that didn't trust Josephine. She wanted to tell her what she and Peter had talked about- running away if they couldn't get father's permission, but after everything she didn't think that would go over very well. Ella loved her sister though, and now that Peter was going to live forgiveness was definitely within the realm of possibility. Ella just needed a little bit of time to build trust back. Today had helped tremendously.

"I'm just going to start packing up his things," she told Josephine, slipping inside Peter's room. She left the door open in case Josie wanted to join her, but she didn't expect her to. Thoughtfully, Ella began take Peter's clothes out of his closet and fold them on the bed, adding his books and other personal belongings to the pile. He didn't have a lot, but that made it all the more important to get everything. "I think packing for my boyfriend is the most domestic thing I've ever done," she commented, glancing up at Josie with a smile. Mostly, Ella was so grateful that she got to do it. "It was really nice of Alec to let Peter stay with him," she added. "I hope they get along." The men hadn't been overly friendly in the past, but Ella hoped that now things could start to change, at least with Alec and Josephine. She had a long way to go with father, still.

Peter knew that Ella hadn't taken it well. He hated that he had worried her so much, that this had given her so much grief she didn't even talk to her own family much anymore. "I'm still in shock," he pointed out. "I fully expected to die. Now that I'm not, I guess I just don't see the point of holding onto negativity." He hoped he could convince Ella to do the same. He just wanted her to be happy. He wanted to be happy with her too. Somehow he felt that if she couldn't learn to forgive her family she might regret it one day.

"Thank you," Peter said as Alec tossed him some clothes. He would also gladly take up the offer of food. As soon as Alec mentioned it, his stomach growled, remembering just how hungry he really was. But first, he desperately needed a bath. So he washed up, changed clothes, and then found his way to the kitchen for some bread a cheese. And before he knew it he head was hitting the pillow to rest before Ella came.

At the Sinclair residence, Josephine hesitantly followed Ella. She didn't want to bother her too much if Ella couldn't be bothered with her. To be honest, she was unsure what to expect. But Ella was actually speaking to her for a change, and that was something she was taking as a good sign. She couldn't just sleep on this opportunity. "I only did what I knew was right," she said. What she didn't say was that she did it more for Ella and than she had for Peter.

She followed, standing in the doorway as Ella began to pack. This room used to be a guest room, but now even Josie considered it Peter's. It did feel strangely empty with him gone. When Ella explained her packing, she only shrugged. "Maybe," she agreed. "But I'm sorry father wont let him stay here. I... You must know none of this was my intention." She had not even done anything on purpose. That was the worst part. There was nothing to be done about it now though, and she knew that Alec had more or less offered the only thing they could.

"I think they'll get on alright. One of the reasons I love Alec is because he's too nice. Even to people he doesn't particularly like," she said. It wasn't like Alec ever hated Peter anyway. it wasn't so much that they hated each other and more just that they never really bothered to interact at all. Not since the ship. And not unless they really had to. "Maybe it will be good practice for them. They could be future brothers, after all," she said, trying to crack a light smile.

Ella glanced towards Josephine, nodding. She had done what was right- Ella knew that Josie had probably only done it for her, but she couldn't bring herself to care. As long as Peter was safe, that was all that mattered, and Josephine had helped tremendously. Ella didn't care why she'd done it, only that she had.

"It's okay," she murmured. As far as Peter staying here went...it was disappointing, but at least he had a place to stay. Ella was too happy that he hadn't gotten killed to worry about that, although she did wish that she had more time to spend with him. After everything, all Ella wanted was to spend the evening making sure he felt like the most loved person in the entire world. "I know you didn't mean for it to happen," she said, glancing up at Josie, "and I guess it's all going to work out fine. Just please don't...don't do it again." Ella wanted to forgive Alec and her sister, badly. It was just hard. She was certain that both Alec and Josephine had learned their lesson, but she hoped that they didn't make the same mistake twice. She would flip if she ever heard a whispered word about Peter being a pirate again, or about her relationship with him for that matter. What she and Peter decided to do was up to them, no one else.

She did hope that the boys got along alright, though. The last thing she wanted was for Peter to feel unwelcome, or for Alec to feel like his space was being intruded. "I hope they get to know each other," she agreed, cracking a smile as she folded more of Peter's clothes into a bag before reaching for his books. "They will be brothers. I'm marrying Peter whether Father likes it or not." Ella bit her lip, wanting desperately to confide in her sister what she and Peter had talked about. She just wasn't sure it was wise. "You and Peter both keep telling me not to settle," she said slowly, hesitantly. She kept her back turned to her sister, pulling Peter's books off of the shelf. "I've decided not to. Peter and I are prepared to do whatever it takes. I'm not losing him again." There. Maybe that was a good way to say it.

She turned back with the stack of books, tucking them into the bag and tying it shut. "When do we get to go back over?" she asked. "Maybe we could bring dinner, so Alec doesn't have to cook."

It wasn't exactly an I Forgive You, but Josephine could understand needing some time. This at least was something, and she clung onto that piece of hope with all the strength she had. "It's not," she said. Because it wasn't okay. "But I won't." She would try really hard not to hurt Ella like this again. Her sister was everything to her. She couldn't even love Alec in the same way she loved Ella.

It never really occurred to Josephine that Ella would run away, even though there had been a moment of weakness she considered it for herself when father was being difficult about her and Alec. Even now, when Ella was putting out hints, Josephine only thought that Ella would do the same thing Josephine had. Just fight really hard, cry a little bit, and eventually win father over to get what she wanted. "He'll change his mind. You know he can," she said, trying to be encouraging. She had given up trying to see Ella with anyone else a long time ago and she knew better than to think that would happen now. "All he wants for us is our happiness."

She watched Ella finish up her packing. "At least give him some time to rest," she suggested. It wouldn't be very quality time together if he was half asleep. "But yes, that's a good idea. Maybe we can convince Rory to have dinner ready a little earlier tonight and we can take the leftover food when we go."

It was pretty clear that Josie didn't understand what Ella was talking about, but that was probably for the best. The last thing she needed was for Josephine to tell Alec about that and then have their father overhear. If that were to happen, she didn't know what she would do. She needed to be Peter, and she couldn't have anyone messing it up.

"I don't know that he will change his mind," she disagreed, glancing up at Josie. "Father wants our happiness, but he also wants our safety. If he thinks that Peter is dangerous...my happiness will be secondary." In a way, she understood that. He was a father, and he wanted his children to be safe. It wasn't his fault that Ella had fallen in love with a pirate, but he just didn't know Peter like she did. Didn't understand. He wasn't dangerous at all.

She nodded, gathering up Peter's bag and making sure that she had everything he might want. Plus the food, which they would get later. If Ella had her way she would go back over now, but they should give him a couple hours to rest. Ella probably needed to take a breather after the craziness of today, too. "Okay," she agreed. "I'll go ask Rory." As she moved towards the door, Ella suddenly felt a wave of exhaustion come over her. These past few weeks had been the most trying time of her life. She couldn't believe all that had happened, and now that the worst part was over, all the problems still weren't solved. She dropped Peter's bag to the ground and, completely on impulse, turned around and went to Josephine. She wrapped her arms around her sister and hugged her tight.

"I'm sorry," she sighed. "I know you didn't mean it. Everything's just been...I thought he was going to die and now..." It was just hard to process. But one thing was for sure; no matter how much she tried to convince herself otherwise, she still needed her sister.

Josephine frowned, her eyebrows coming together as she considered what Ella said. She couldn't argue with it. Above all things, father did put their wellbeing. It was why, despite how much she loved Alec, he had said no at first. Alec had to prove he was capable of taking care of her before her father even gave him a second thought, and thank God Alec had come through. But Peter's situation was a little different. It was easy enough to work hard to pull on some extra money, but you couldn't just change someone's perception of danger so easily.

"Nothing's impossible," she said, trying to be optimistic about it. "You two have already endured so much, so I'd say you've beaten the odds. You can do again." And Josephine would try and be as supportive as she could. It pained her that Alec was right about them having to try harder, but it was clearer than ever now. Maybe her concern for her sister had overstepped a few boundaries.

She moved out of the doorway to let Ella pass, thinking this was pretty much where they'd leave things for now. Ella surprised her though with her hug, and after a brief second of shock wore off, Josephine returned it, fighting to urge to cry. She loved her so much, these weeks had been torture for her too. She didn't know whether they could ever have their normal relationship back, and it was still hard to say, but the hug was reassuring. It was better than anything she could have hoped for so soon.

"Don't be," she said. "It's me who is sorry. I've felt guilty about it all this time, I don't know what I would have done if he'd died either." She held on tight, knowing that caring more about Ella than Peter might be a little selfish of her, but her family was her whole world. She almost lost Alec, in the process she had almost lost her father too. But through all of that Ella had been there. She was lucky to still have the men in her life, but her world would be so empty without her sister. "I was afraid I'd lose you."

It was true that she and Peter had done a lot to beat the odds; Ella just hoped that their luck wasn't running out. No matter what happened, she was determined to make things work for her and Peter. She loved him too much for any other outcome. "We will," she said confidently. "One way or another, we will." She was determined of that. There was no other option.

It was strange- Ella thought that she'd be happier after learning that Peter was going to live, and she was happy, but she still felt kind of numb. Probably because she was here, and he was somewhere else even after everything that had happened. These past couple weeks had been a living nightmare and all Ella wanted was to be with him, but she couldn't. And she had a nagging feeling that being together was going to be very difficult from now on.

She wasn't sure where the hug came from, but the truth was that Ella missed her sister, too. She loved Josephine, and the last thing she wanted was to lose her. When Josie expressed the same fear, Ella shook her head. "No," she said. "No, I love you. You almost got my boyfriend killed, but I love you." It would take some time for things to return to normal and for Ella to begin trusting her sister again, but she loved her nonetheless. Josie was her best friend, and she didn't want to lose that. If Peter had died she didn't know how things might have been different, but now with the given circumstances they could try to get back to normal.

Ella pulled out of the hug and picked Peter's bag up again. She wanted to go over right now; after two weeks of thinking he was going to die it was hard to be patient, but she would do her best. "Let's go talk to Rory," she said, managing to crack a smile at her sister.

Downstairs, Rory didn't need much convincing to prepare a quick, picnic-style meal for four that they could bring over to Alec's. In the couple of hours it took him Ella took her own nap until one of the servants came and told her that it was ready. Then she gathered up everything, called for Josephine and headed out to the stables, where theirs and Alec's horses were waiting. Hopefully they weren't too early, but if Peter was still sleeping Ella knew she would feel better even just seeing him.

ooc: Sorry for the delay. I finally went full time so I think I'll have more time now.

Josephine felt a smile creep on her face as she hugged Ella, and it grew bigger as she told her she loved her. "Well, your boyfriend almost got me killed a while back, so I don't know. I guess we're even," she teased through a choked laugh. "I really am sorry, Ella. And I love you, too." She would try harder from now on. It felt like she was always trying harder and harder, but especially now. She would be more careful about what she said, how she acted... Peter at least made Ella happy. That was the best she could hope for.

Letting go, she followed Ella to talk to Rory, and after a couple of hours, they were on their way to Alec's together. She rode Neilson, and let Ella pick whichever horse she wanted to ride. She figured it would be easier for the two of them to share one horse on the way back rather than take three and try to steer Alec's horse along. The picnic basket she attached to the saddle.

If Ella was worried about being too early, she didn't have to be. Peter did take advantage of the spare room to try and sleep, but he found that his thoughts were too preoccupied with the events of the last couple of weeks for sleep to come too easily. As mentally and physically exhausted as he was, though, even just the hour he did manage felt amazing. And then he was too impatient to see Ella again, so like a lovesick child, he waited outside on Alec's porch for the girls. As they rode up, he called to Alec, knowing he would probably want to see Josephine. But he didn't wait before he running down to the stables to greet them.

Helping Ella down, he swept her up into kiss. He wasn't sure when the next chance to see her would be, so he was eager to soak up all the attention he could from her now. "Just who I was hoping to see," he said, adding another kiss to her forehead.

Josephine managed a small smile and she got down herself. "Hi Peter," she said, then held up the picnic basket for him to see just as soon as Alec joined the three of them. "We brought some food."

((Oh you're fine!! I'm still a little all over the place too :) ))

Ella frowned slightly at Josephine's words- she didn't think she'd call them even. It wasn't even close to being equal in her mind, because Peter had saved their lives multiple times and had never once tried to kill them. But, for the sake of reconciling, Ella decided to keep her mouth shut for once in her life. She knew that Josie was sorry, and trusted that she would never do it again.

She couldn't wait to get to Alec's place. When they rode up and she saw Peter on the porch Ella's heart soared, and she waved to him happily. They had to put the horses away in the stables, but when Peter followed her she practically leaped into his arms. She hugged her arms around him tightly and kissed him back, not caring in the slightest that Josie was right there. Ella didn't know how much she'd be able to see Peter in the coming weeks, so she had every intention of making the most of every moment. "You look better," she commented, running her fingers through his now clean hair. Color seemed to have returned to his face a little bit, and he was still skinny but that was hardly going to be fixed in a day.

Ella pulled away from him only to grab his bag, but she kept her arm wrapped around his. She would be hard pressed to break contact at all, but she thought it was validated. "I have all your things," she told him. "Your clothes and books and everything. You'll feel right at home." She pressed another lingering kiss to his lips as Alec came in.

"Oh, perfect," the man smiled, seeing Josephine's basket of food. He wrapped his arm around her and pressed a kiss to her temple. "I was just thinking I was about out of food, anyways. And Rory's cooking can't be beat." He'd only eaten it once or twice, but they were both among the best meals of his life. "Thank you. Here, let me get it." He took the basket out of Josephine's hands and the other bag from Ella, moving back towards the house. "Peter, you still hungry?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back