• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Caught in the Waves (Closed)

Peter rubbed his arm where she hit him, feigning innocence. "Maybe I am," he said. "Or maybe I just find it amusing how easily I can predict you sometimes." He felt like he knew her for a lot longer than the weeks they had actually known each other. At first, she had been confusing to him. Now, he loved her little quirks. He wasn't surprised to see the chocolates at all, because this morning she had hardly been able to keep her hands off of them. It was adorable, and he noticed all the small details like that now.

He watched her drink from the bottle as he had, and grinned at her comment. He had just survived a week abiding by proper dining room etiquette, and it was driving him mad not being able to eat with hands or drink wine out of a bottle like he used to. He was growing more accustomed to this life, but it didn't mean he found some things unbearable. "Less dishes for the servants to do," he said. "And much more fun this way." He stole it back from her and took another drink before setting it aside. He doubted they would need to worry about getting drunk off of one bottle between the two of them, but they should make it last throughout their meal.

As Ella started kissing him, Peter closed his eyes. He let out a small noise of satisfaction, but was left disappointed as she never did quite reach his lips. When she pulled away, he opened his eyes again, looking to her as if she wasn't being fair. But he wasn't being fair either, after all, and that was what made it amusing. He snaked an arm around her waist and pulled her closer to him, ducking his head so his lips were by her ear and his nose buried inside her hair. "Mmhmm," he said, placing a kiss right at the edge of her jaw, and brushing his lips lightly against her ear. "Like I said, cheaters don't get kisses. You'll have to earn it fair and square." He smiled, pressing a few more light kisses against her skin, but like her, withholding them from her mouth.

Ella laughed, relenting. It was true, she did tend to be rather predictable at times. She wasn't always, but Peter had gotten to know her pretty well by now. She felt like she could predict him too, in some ways. For instance, she was not at all surprised that he'd chosen to drink wine out of the bottle. Ella knew that she wasn't supposed to like his pirate-like characteristics; his long hair, some of his habits, his less refined manners...but those were some of the things she liked best about him. He was unique, unlike anyone else she'd ever known, and she loved him for it. Ella hoped that he never changed.

She shrugged at his comment about the dishes. "They'll wash the glasses whether we use them or not," she told him. They'd been outside and presumably touched by the both of them, but even if they weren't, the servants didn't examine each and every dish to see if it had been used before washing. They usually just did it all. "But I agree, it is more fun." It was harder to keep track of how much you were drinking when you drank straight from the bottle, but it was only one. It was delicious too, one of Father's many expensive red wines. She reached for it when he put it down and took one more long sip before setting it between them and reaching for the cheese and crackers.

Ella knew that she wasn't being fair, but she was also incredibly stubborn. She was a girl who knew what she wanted, and what she wanted was Peter. And also for him to kiss her first. It was a little petty, but it was fun to mess around with each other and it was all in good fun. Ella let him pull her nearer to him and closed her eyes when he kissed her, enjoying it even if it wasn't where she wanted. "Peter, you're such a tease," she complained, throwing her head back in exasperation. "If you don't want to kiss me maybe I'll find someone who does, hm?" She leaned in again and kissed his temple, scooting in a bit closer to him before turning her attention to the food, reaching for some grapes.

Peter laughed as she took another sip. Her life was not nearly as horrible as he imagined an upper class life to be. Something about luxury always rubbed him the wrong way, but he had to admit he did like his food and his silk sheets. Some of it was still bothersome, though. Like the stuffy rules about how to address certain people, or how to stand, or what you could and couldn't talk about at the dinner table. Sipping from the bottle was a small rebellion against that he was living for and desperately needing. "Everything with me is more fun," he said.

He had to laugh again as she complained about him not kissing her like she wanted. He wanted to, but it was just so fun watching her squirm while he denied it. Whenever they did finally kiss tonight, it was sure to be well worth the wait. "Like who?" he asked, with a grin. There wasn't exactly a wide range of men out here available to kiss. "Rory? Alec? One of the servants?" Rory was basically twice her age and of course Alec would never touch anybody other than Josephine. One of the servants, maybe, but they were probably too worried about getting fired to even risk it. "Besides, I am kissing you," he said, leaning forward as if to finally kiss her mouth, but just before he brushed them against hers, he moved up and placed a peck on her nose instead.

But since she called him a tease, a tease he would most definitely be. He sat up and took off his waistcoat, tossing it aside, and then started to unbutton the shirt underneath. It felt amazing, actually. It was still warm out and he didn't care for layers anyway. The more time he spent here, the more he was growing used to it, but he always let out a sigh of relief when he got to take his clothes off at night before bed. He didn't bother shrugging his shirt completely off. He unbuttoned it, but now he just let the loose fabric hang off his shoulders, exposing his bare chest to her. He popped a grape into his mouth, watching for her reaction now with a smug smile on his face.

Ella laughed, not disagreeing. It was true that everything was more fun with him. No matter what they did together Ella always had a great time, and she couldn't see it being any different. "There's that male ego again," she teased him. "Maybe we could go to the beach for our second date." They lived inland, but the beach was probably forty-five minutes away by carriage. They could go, have another picnic, do some swimming...she felt like that was something he might enjoy. Peter hadn't seen the water since getting off the ship, and she was sure that he'd love to see it again. Their beach was especially beautiful too.

She smirked when he asked her who she would go kiss, and quickly considered her options. Obviously not Rory or Alec; she was sure she could convince one of the servants to kiss her, but they would probably be weirded out by it. Not that Ella would blame them. "Maybe I'll send Alec to fetch Charles for me," she said, turning up her nose slightly. "Or the neighbor's son. He's about the right age...and very handsome." Ella nudged him. She wouldn't really go kiss anyone else, and Peter knew that. She wasn't interested. Peter was the only man she'd ever kissed and she'd like to keep it that way. She leaned forward, thinking that she had finally won, but when he only kissed her nose she shoved him away in playful irritation. "That was mean," she accused, though it was difficult to keep the smile off of her face. Maybe this was the reason Josie always won at cards- Ella had the worst poker face. "Now you don't deserve a kiss either."

The last thing she expected was for him to start stripping, and her eyes widened with surprise when he removed his waistcoat and began to unbutton his shirt. It took her a few minutes to fully understand what he was doing- teasing her. Very effectively too. "Oh, is that the game we're playing?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. She couldn't help but admire him a little bit; Peter had defined muscles that were easy on the eyes and only strengthened Ella's desire for him. Briefly she wondered what it would feel like to have her bare skin against his.

After a moment of consideration, she returned his smug expression. Two could play at that game. Ella was wearing one of her simpler, more comfortable dresses at the moment, and it wasn't too hard to pull the top up over her head, revealing her lacy blue corset and camisole that she wore underneath. It did feel nice to take it off, and since her dress was two pieces she was able to leave her skirt on. The neckline of the corset was much lower than her dress and exposed more cleavage than she would usually be comfortable with, but it was Peter. It didn't bother her, but now she knew that he liked it.

Ella scooted over closer to him and reached across for the cheese and crackers. "You know..." she said thoughtfully, tilting her head to the side. "Josie and I used to play truth or dare when we were little, too. Maybe we should play that for a little bit." She smiled playfully at him, wondering if he would take her up on it. It was a fun game, one that might allow her to learn a little more about him and do some fun dares in the process.

Peter beamed at the idea of visiting the beach. He longed to feel first the sand in his toes, then the cool water lapping against his ankles. The flowery smells of the country were charming, but he missed the salty wind that came with the sea, and the sound of the seagulls and waves. "I'd love that," he said in response. If he could borrow a fishing pole, maybe he could bring home a few fresh catches for Rory to serve up at dinner time. Now that she'd brought it up, his whole body ached with nostalgia, but it would probably be another week yet before they found the time.

His fantasies about the beach faded when she talked about fetching Charles or the neighbor boy for her to kiss. He knew she was teasing, but he couldn't help looking at her skeptically anyway. He had never met this Charles, but she hadn't spoken about him very fondly before. And wasn't this neighbor boy the one she'd just told him earlier had a brief history with Josephine? He couldn't quite picture her with either of them, and he quite preferred it that way. His shoulders relaxed and he reached for some more of the food. "I'd stop them before they even had the chance," he said confidently, then laughed as she gave him a shove, but it turned into a playful pout when she mentioned that now he didn't deserve a kiss either. "It's a good thing I'm trained well in the art of theft, then," he said. "I'll just steal one when you least expect it."

For a moment, Peter was confident that he'd won their game of back and forth with his move. At the very least, he figured it had given him a significant lead. He was not expecting, however, for her to respond in kind. He raised an eyebrow, stunned as she threw off the top half of her dress to reveal her corset underneath. Of course, he should have expected such a move from her. This was the girl who ran around without her corset on the ship for the better half of the time. It was nothing he hadn't already seen before, but it had been what seemed like forever ago. His eyes passed over her shoulders and collarbone, and came to rest on her more fully exposed chest for more time than what would be considered proper.

It wasn't until she spoke again that he managed to tear his eyes away and he remembered some of those manners he was learning while here. He rose an eyebrow as she mentioned some truth or dare. He found it hard to believe somebody like Josephine would ever play such a game, but Ella had enough spirit that he could imagine her coming up with the most devilish questions and dares. She had him fully intrigued now, so he sat up straighter and went for some more wine. "Alright," he said, as the bottle left his lips. "Truth or dare?" he asked her, a smirk already turning the corner of his mouth up.

Ella thought that she would very much like to see Peter stop someone like Charles from kissing her, and she had to giggle at the thought. "What would you do?" she asked, genuinely curious. She envisioned him punching Charles in the nose and laughed, shaking her head. When he mentioned that he was trained in thievery she wasn't terribly impressed, but she didn't doubt that he would kiss her at some point. When he did, she knew that it would be worth the long wait.

He looked surprised when she took her top off, and Ella grinned victoriously. "Not so predictable, I guess?" she asked him. Ella knew that Josie would have a fit if she knew what they were doing, and so would her father, but they were far away from the house and hidden from the garden. No one could see them, and no one was going to come and find them as long as they didn't stay out all night. On the pirate ship, Ella had taken her corset off immediately and run around without it, with only her camisole and underskirt on most of the time. However, she personally found corsets to be more sexual, with the way they created such dramatic shapes on a woman's body. She did blush when she noticed that Peter was staring at her chest, but she didn't exactly mind.

Of course, when Ella told him that she and Josie had liked to play truth or dare she mostly meant herself. It was one of Ella's favorite games to play, but Josephine was more careful and more guarded. She hadn't liked it nearly as much, and as a result it wasn't something they played very often. Even when they did, Josie would sometimes back out of doing a dare that she didn't want to do. Peter seemed like he would be a good partner for the game, though. Ella grinned when he agreed and clapped her hands together excitedly, taking a bite out of her sandwich before setting it back on the plate.

"Dare," she responded boldly. Ella usually liked to start the game off right with a dare, lest they end up in a never-ending cycle of truth. She was a naturally daring person, willing to do just about anything as long as it was all in good fun and wasn't too dangerous.

Peter hadn't ever had to rescue his girlfriend from the arms of another before, so he wasn't sure immediately what he would do. He imagined he'd make a scene of it, showing off some of those pirate hand to hand combat skills, since he didn't think it was appropriate to draw a sword or a knife on somebody here. "Hmm. I'd tear him off of you, maybe throw a few swings if I was mad enough. Then I'd sweep you up and kiss you myself so everybody knows whose girl you really are."

He grinned at her, wanting to come over there and kiss that smug little smile off of her face while she looked at him so triumphantly like that, but he didn't. She hadn't won quite yet, and he wasn't going to give in so easily. "No, I guess not," he said, letting his eyes wander over the exposed parts of her again. Despite her state of undress on the ship, he hadn't ever really taken the time to appreciate what she was showing. It wasn't like it was much, but, even those little glimpses of skin could be enticing when men didn't normally get to see it. "But I'm not complaining." He brought his eyes back up to hers again, and then reached over her for some more of the fruit.

As surprising as her last move had been, Ella's choice of dare was less so. Peter knew she liked adventures, even little ones, and he couldn't deny there was a sense of thrill after completing a dare. For a moment, he thought about daring her to come and kiss him, and what her reaction to that might be, but decided against it. He was going to make her wait a little bit longer yet before he gave her what he wanted. For now, he was going to enjoy this new game for a little bit.

He looked to her with an amused smile, thinking. Finally, he decided to start off simple enough with something that would entertain the both of them. "I dare you," he said. "To give me your best Josephine impression." Then he laid back, putting his arms behind his head like a pillow while he watched her. "Oh, and I also pick dare." It only seemed fair.

Ella had to giggle a little bit at his response. "That's a very violent reaction for a kiss," she commented with amusement. "Especially one you won't give me." That sounded more like protecting her from sexual assault, but there was something satisfying about knowing that he would be jealous for her. She would probably punch any girl who tried to kiss him, too. She liked the idea of being his girl, too. It was a possessive way of putting things, but she rather liked it. Ella wanted to be his, now and forever. "But I think that's my solution, then," she added thoughtfully. "You'll kiss me if someone else tries to. So I do need to go find someone else to kiss." She grinned and stuck her tongue out at him, teasing.

She was also satisfied that she was slightly unpredictable, although he probably should have realized that she wasn't opposed to taking her clothes off. Ella wasn't a girl who cared very much about customs or being proper, but neither was Peter. They were both usually on the same page. It did make her blush when he continued to look at her, but she wasn't complaining either. It was interesting for her, being able to embrace and acknowledge her feelings instead of thinking she needed to squander them. She was allowed to be attracted to him, and allowed to want him to be attracted to her. There was nothing scandalous about it anymore, nothing impossible. No reason for her not to fully experience everything she was feeling.

Dares were Ella's favorite part of the game. Picking the truth option could sometimes be interesting, but the real fun was doing crazy things and daring others in her opinion. She wasn't afraid of dares, especially with Peter. She was almost surprised when he didn't dare her to kiss him, but his choice caused Ella to burst into a fit of laughter. That was a good one. "Okay," she agreed. "It won't work very well with my top off, but..." Ella straightened her posture and swept her hair over to one side. She tried very hard to wipe the smile off her face in exchange for a haughty expression, glaring at Peter through narrowed eyes.

"Peter," she said very seriously, trying desperately to think of something Josephine would say. It was actually more difficult than she had expected, because Josie didn't talk to Peter very much. "You'd better behave yourself around my sister- she's very stupid but I'll kill you if you don't. Why don't you go talk to my perfect Alec and figure out how to be a proper gentleman. You might start with a haircut." As far as Ella was concerned, Peter was already a perfect gentleman. He was polite and thoughtful and everything that he needed to be. "Was that good enough?" she asked, relaxing her posture somewhat and smiling at him. Ella didn't want to make fun of her sister too much, even though Josie had been driving her crazy today. She also didn't want to say mean things to Peter, which is what Josie probably would do if she got the chance.

When he picked dare as well, Ella sat back and took a few more bites out of her sandwich, thinking about what she should have him do. Her first thought was to have him kiss her, but that was boring on its own. She wanted to make it a little more interesting. With a mischievous smile, Ella plucked a grape off of the stem and held it up for him. "I dare you to get this grape without using your hands," she told him before popping the grape inside her mouth. She didn't bite down on it, instead waiting expectantly.

"Isn't that what men are supposed to do?" Peter asked, half jokingly, but also half serious. He honestly had no idea what he was doing half the time when it came to this idea of courtship. It was foreign to him. Still, he didn't think there was anything he wouldn't do for her. Just because they were long off of the ship by now didn't mean that he still wouldn't fulfill his promise of protecting her, and that included from perverted men. "And you would never," he added with a smile.

Ella's impression of Josephine though was amusing. He couldn't help the low chuckle he gave as she straightened her back and narrowed her eyes. It was dead on, even as Ella tried to keep her smile off of her face. Josephine was always giving him that look, usually from afar. She'd definitely been giving it to him throughout their entire game of charades earlier. In fact, he had never really noticed before how similar the two girls were in their features until just now, given how often Josephine did nothing but glare at him. Ella's impression just might have reminded him how careful he had to be around her, and how much Josie truly did dislike him, but it was so accurate it was amusing. He saw no harm in poking a little bit of fun towards someone who gave him such a hard time.

Peter sat back up with a grin and clapped his hands. "Bravo," he said. "Very well done. I've never been to theater before, but I imagine you'd fit in nicely there." He took the moment in between dares to sip some more wine and take a couple bites out of his sandwich, then looked over at her as she considered her own dare. He watched her pick a grape, thinking she was just going to eat it. Then when she told him he'd have to get it without his hands and popped it into her mouth, he gave her an incredulous look. For a moment, he considered his options that would keep him in the game. He could make her laugh so the grape fell out. He could jokingly try using his feet, but that would probably do nothing but gross her out, and it was not worth all the effort. Eventually he decided there was no real good way to do it without losing their game of back and forth with each other, but he was not one to forfeit a dare, either. "I told you you were a cheater," he said, grinning at her.

If he was going to lose, he might as well make it worth it. Peter leaned forward, snaking an arm around her waist and pulling her flush up against him. He pushed her back gently until she was on the ground before he did it. He finally brushed his mouth against hers, gently at first, but then more forceful as he forced hers open so he could get the grape. He had to admit that it took him by surprise at how difficult it was to actually retrieve the grape, but he eventually managed to do so with some very clever maneuvering. Once he got it, he pulled back with it in his teeth. He smiled open mouthed at her with his little victory, before closing his mouth to eat it.

Ella smiled, snuggling up to him. "Well, I guess so," she said. "But in most cases you probably wouldn't need to beat anyone up. Most men will back off if they see that you're willing to, I think. But I'm glad you have my back." She kissed him on the cheek again, pretty amused with the whole conversation. "You're right," she admitted a moment later. She would never kiss anyone else, not of her own free will. And definitely not to make him jealous. Ella didn't ever want to do anything to hurt Peter. "You're the only man I've ever kissed, and I don't plan on changing that anytime soon."

She was happy when he liked her Josephine impression; she herself didn't think it was terribly funny, but Josephine wasn't too hard to imitate. She wondered what Josie's Ella impression would look like, though she had a vague suspicion it would involve stripping and fluttering around. Sometimes even Ella questioned herself, but not enough to stop being so crazy. What was life without a little fun? She was pretty pleased with the dare she came up with as well, and grinned when he accused her of being a cheater.

"That's not cheating," she said, smiling. "That's called being clever." Her words were a little hard to understand since she was trying not to crush the grape, but he could figure it out. Ella was very proud of herself, not to mention excited for what was coming. She knew that he wouldn't turn down a dare, and Peter didn't disappoint. Ella let him push her on her back and closed her eyes when his lips finally touched hers. She felt like she was practically starved of kisses, but it didn't take her very long to realize that this was the farthest they'd gotten yet. Peter was kissing her like he'd never kissed her before- even if it was only to get a grape.

He was finally successful, and Ella smiled when he pulled back and ate it. "Good job," she complimented. "Now come back here." She reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him down to kiss her again. She tugged his shirt off from around his shoulders, not interested in being teased anymore. "I think I'll take another dare," she murmured against his lips. "If you want." Ella felt like they were on a roll, and she didn't want to slow it down.

Ella had told him before that he was her first kiss, but Peter could still hardly believe she had never kissed anybody else before. She was too beautiful. Surely others had at least tried, right? It did fill him with a sense pride, though, to have been the only one to feel her lips crushed against his. At times it truly made no sense to him why she picked him, but he was glad she did. "And I'll never kiss another woman so long as I have you," he promised her in return. She was not his first, but maybe she could be his last. He was committed to this, to her, and nobody else.

He laughed at her insistence that she wasn't cheating, and shook his head. "You are clever," Peter said. "But you were also most definitely cheating." He might have lost their competition to make the other kiss them first, but in the end, he figured they both ended up winning. Peter wasn't shy by any means, and he was determined as well. The kiss ended up being hard, and passionate, and it had very little to do with getting the grape. Though by the end of it, he was quite proud of himself. His victory remained even as she pulled him back down to her, and suddenly it felt like they were back in the captain's room together again, except this time they were significantly more sober. It still didn't take her very long to get him out of his shirt again.

He kissed her as he had before, much less distracted by the grape this time. His hands dug into the folds of her skirt at the base of her waist, his fingers just barely slipped underneath the edges of her corset when she asked for another dare. He pulled away slightly, suddenly aware of how fast things were now going. He couldn't deny looking down at her how much he desired to do any number of more scandalous things with her in this moment. Peter gave her lips a soft kiss, mulling it over. She was looking at him like she wanted the same things, but he felt unsure, torn between doing what he really wanted to do, and what he knew he probably should do. This was only their first date, and if he did this now, wouldn't he just be treating her like all of the others? He looked up, staring out over the rose bushes to the house beyond them. Not to mention, as hidden as they were, anybody could find them. When he looked back down at her, it was clear he was playing mental tug and war with what his heart wanted, and what his head was saying.

With one hand, he cupped her face, stroking her cheek with his thumb. He kissed her forehead, her nose, her lips again. Soft and gentle kisses. "Are you sure that's a good idea right now?" he asked. They were getting carried away, and he didn't want to do anything to jeopardize what they had. He didn't want to hurt her, or have her do something she'd regret, or give anybody any reason to doubt his intentions anymore than they already did. He wasn't even sure they were on the same page right now, if he was just making assumptions, reading the situation wrong. Being in a relationship was the most difficult and confusing thing to him.

Ella beamed at him when he promised to never kiss anyone else, finding it satisfying. She didn't mind not being his first, but she was also hoping that she could be his last. Ella felt pretty confident and optimistic about the future of their relationship. She'd met a lot of men in her life, but none of them had even close to the effect on her that Peter did.

Her dare really wasn't cheating, it was just a clever tactic she used to get her way and win two games at once. But cheater or not, Ella knew that she was still getting a kiss. And what a kiss it was. It was passionate and possessive, more intense than anything she'd ever experienced. But instead of satisfying her, it only made Ella hunger for more. Her entire body felt like it was buzzing with energy, taking in every perfect, glorious sensation. She could feel his fingertips sliding underneath her corset, a stupid article of clothing that was only serving to make her more breathless.

When he pulled away she was able to take a moment to breathe, but she was confused. Why had he stopped? Had she done something wrong? Ella wanted everything that he was doing- she wanted all of him. She knew that it wasn't proper, that it could become a huge scandal, but so could everything else about their relationship if the truth came out. As she gazed up at his face, framed by starlight, she was convinced that he was the right person. What was the point of waiting if you knew you were with the right person, when a few weeks together felt like a lifetime? Ella had no idea how Alec and Josephine had gotten on for two years without getting carried away. Ella didn't have that kind of self control, and she wasn't great at thinking ahead. She lived in the moment, and in this moment she wanted Peter.

Peter, on the other hand, looked conflicted. Ella couldn't read his mind and had no idea what he might be thinking, but he seemed hesitant. Maybe it was a good thing one of them was. "I..." she didn't know what to say. Was she sure that what was a good idea? Another dare, or what they were doing now? She closed her eyes for a moment to enjoy his kisses, but when she opened them again she couldn't help but frown slightly. "I...I don't know," she stammered, suddenly unsure of herself as she looked up at him. She knew that she wanted it, but maybe he didn't. It seemed like the perfect moment- privacy, starlight, wine, passionate romance. They were less likely to get caught out here than they were in an actual bedroom, realistically speaking, but that didn't mean it was the right time for either of them.

"You want to stop?" They needed to communicate better about where their boundaries were going to be, but that was conversation they were both putting off. Ella would rather just let the mood and the moments take them where they may, but maybe that wasn't such a great idea. She didn't want him to do anything he didn't want to or wasn't ready for, and she didn't want to hurt him either.

Peter wasn't really thinking about the game anymore. They got swept up in kissing and touching, and any dare that he could have given her would either pale in comparison to her clever grape one, or otherwise escalate this situation they were in now. Had she been one of the women at the bars he frequented when the ship docked, a stranger on the street he just picked up to have a night of careless fun with, he might have continued their game uncaring of the direction things went in. With Ella it was different, though. She was not a stranger. She was not somebody who he would hand a few silver coins to in exchange for her body. He cared for her and it made all the difference to him.

He looked down at her, lovingly, but with concern. "Truthfully? No," he said. He would always be honest with her about his intentions and desires. If he only thought about what he wanted in this moment, it was her. It wasn't himself he was concerned about, though. Peter had already been with other women, Ella he knew had not. It was different for him, so he didn't take it maybe as seriously as she should be. If they continued with this, even though they could always stop at any moment, there was a point of no return. There were some things you could never get back, and if it got to that point, he wanted to make sure it was the right decision for her.

"But it's our first date. We're unwed," he pointed out. Not that he had any quarrels with that, but he knew that could be a problem in the higher classes, particularly with women. "Your sister is only looking for any excuse to get rid of me, and your father... he's given me so much, including permission to see you. I can't imagine he would be very happy to find out I disgraced his daughter." He brushed his fingers through a strand of her hair, curling it around his fingers while he looked down at her. This conversation needed to be had, because he needed her to understand what was at risk here. Their actions could have consequences, and while he loved how free spirited she was, there were times that it might only get her in trouble. Like now. One thing he knew for certain was that the decision would rest with her. It had to.

"I care about you," he said. "A lot. I'm not saying that we can't go further, or that even if we do it has to be all the way. I'd be willing to do it all, not at all, or anything in between. I just want to make sure you know what's happening, and that you're ready for it as well, consequences included." It wasn't a thing to take so lightly. He couldn't say that he regretting having done just that when he was younger, but it was different for men, unfortunately, and it hadn't involved a person that he truly, deeply cared for.

Ella didn't like the expression on his face. Before he'd even finished explaining his thought process, she knew that it wasn't happening. She suddenly felt guilty for wanting it at all, even if Peter's intention was not to make her feel guilty. He was just trying to look out for her, but everything he said was true. They weren't married, and even if it wasn't a big deal for him, as a man who already wasn't a virgin, it was a big deal for Ella. She was a high class lady who was expected to be a virgin on her wedding day. And while she was currently convinced that Peter would one day be her husband, she couldn't count on it.

That was reason enough to exercise some self-control, even without bringing up the point of her sister. Josie would freak out if she did something like that. It was none of her business, but it would probably be cause enough for her to go and tell Father the truth. It was one more secret to keep, this time from Josephine. Ella didn't think it was really her father's business what she and Peter did either, but once again Peter was right. He wouldn't be happy. It would be seen as extremely disrespectful on Peter's part, and the more she thought about it Ella realized that she had to say no, to protect Peter if not to protect herself.

She sat up, running her hand through her hair and reaching for her top. The mood was dead, and Ella felt ashamed. She shouldn't have been so impulsive, shouldn't have dared to be so selfish when she could endanger Peter. Ella wasn't very worried about what the consequences would be for herself; she didn't want to upset Josephine or disappoint her father, but she could move on past it. Peter could get into actual trouble with drawn out consequences, and she didn't want to risk doing that to him. "Okay," she said finally, her voice small. He wasn't telling her no, but Ella felt like he was. They couldn't possibly go on with it after all he'd just said.

But she'd realized something else as well, something that wasn't so disappointing. It hit her all at once, like a ton of bricks. She remembered reading once that love was when you cared about someone more than you cared about yourself, and when she thought about it Ella realized that was true. There wasn't anything she wouldn't do for Peter. It was crazy, but Ella knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that she would die for Peter if she had to, just like she would for her father or for Josephine. She wasn't just falling in love with him anymore, she was in it. With her heart hammering in her chest, Ella looked up at met Peter's eyes.

"I understand," she told him, biting her lip. "I'm sorry, I-I don't want to do anything that could potentially hurt you. I...I love you, Peter." It was scary to say, but it felt right. It felt like something she had been born to say, although she had no idea what his reaction would be.

Peter sat up, letting Ella make her decision to stop things before they went any further. He watched as she went to grab her top, then decided to do the same once it became clear this wasn't going to happen tonight. He felt a little saddened, and maybe a bit afraid he had somehow hurt her feelings. He hadn't told her no, but she looked disappointed. Not doing this tonight... he was at peace with it, but he just didn't want her to be upset. She had to know he would, if she wanted him to, but he would have felt incredibly guilty had she regretted it. Perhaps this was just a part of becoming a better man... making informed decisions, knowing the risks, and leading with his head, not his heart.

He threw his shirt back on over his shoulders and started to button it up. "It's not that I want to," he started to clarify. The mood was gone now, but he couldn't deny the flood of warm feelings and joy he got from kissing her. His entire body practically ached with desire, but he wasn't that man anymore. He was all too aware of the many ways this could distance them, rather than bring them closer like it was supposed to. "It's just... maybe not the right time."

He looked over at her, surprised to hear her apologize. As if this was anything to apologize for, or that she should feel guilty about. It wasn't. He'd respect any decision she made regarding her own heart, mind, and body. He was even more surprised when she expressed that she would be hurting him by doing so. Peter didn't really think so. He felt alright, not hurt, or in danger. Conflicted, yes, but it didn't have anything to do with him. He wasn't even thinking about himself as much as he was thinking about her. The night after they first kissed, him pushing her away had been hard enough. If he got sent away now because Josephine or her father found out they had decided to be intimate together... it would be far more devastating than it was then. That was the only thing on his mind, not himself. He'd hang before he ever did anything to hurt her. "Don't apologize," he said. "I would never hold something like this against you. We can do whatever we want, when you're ready and sure, and I'll be happy to oblige when that day comes. It doesn't have to be now. And you shouldn't have to worry about what happens to me. I'm not." He smiled weakly, although deep down he wasn't that brave. If he was found out, sent to gallows... he wasn't sure he was ready to die. He liked it way too much here, and he liked being able to look out after her.

Peter wasn't really prepared for what Ella said next though. It took him a few moments to really process what she was saying, and when it did, it hit him with full force. He'd never understood what love was. He'd never experienced it before. But here he was, staring at his girlfriend, who he might have slept with if he didn't let his thoughts about how he could hurt her interfere. He left the only family he'd ever known, come to live among rich folk he had only ever regarded as snobs before, and was putting himself in the very real danger of getting found and killed, because he cared that much about the girl across from him. He smiled, realizing with a start, that maybe he loved her too. There was nobody else he would have done all of that for. "I love you, too," he said, leaning forward and pressing a soft kiss to her lips.

((I'm sorry for the late response!))

Ella took her top and pulled it back over her head, tugging it down and attaching it to the waistband of her skirt. It felt a little suffocating after feeling so light and free, but it was for the best. She watched as Peter put his shirt back on too, feeling slightly disappointed herself. Ella wasn't used to these feelings, and she didn't know how to deal with them. She knew that she wanted to be with Peter, but the more she thought about it the more she realized that it wasn't the right time. Ella would only have regretted it if Peter ended up getting hurt as a result, but she wasn't willing to take that risk. He was too important, and she would never forgive herself if eternal separation was the price they paid for indulging in lustful desires.

She gave him a little smile when he assured her that he didn't want to stop, nodding in agreement. "You're right," she sighed. "I'm sorry," she apologized again. Ella felt like she had kind of pushed for it, even if she hadn't been entirely aware that was what she was doing. The truth was, she wasn't sure she was mature enough for an intimate relationship, and she knew for sure that her and Peter's relationship wasn't. They'd only just become official, only been expressing romantic interest in each other for a couple of weeks now. It wasn't time, and she knew it. They both did.

Ella bit her lip, looking down at her lap when he told her not to apologize. She appreciated it, but there was still something about his comments that bothered her. "Peter..." she said, thinking about her response carefully. "Thank you, but you can't make this be my decision. It's yours, too. I don't want you to just oblige to whatever I want." She also didn't want him thinking that what happened this evening was solely her decision; she would have gone on with it if he hadn't enumerated all the reasons why they shouldn't. "And I have to worry about you," she added. How could he expect her not to be? She was the only one who could protect him from the potential dangers. "There's more cause to worry about you than there is me, anyways." She smiled, figuring that there was a part of him that liked the idea of protecting her, too- even if there wasn't much of anything to protect her from.

It was a vulnerable feeling, just letting her words hang in the air. She had no idea how Peter would react. He could repeat her declaration of love or he could reject it entirely. He could say that he wasn't quite there, but that he could see himself falling in love with her in the future. Or he could say nothing at all. There was a moment where Ella was terrified...until he said exactly what she wanted to hear. "Really?" She kissed him back passionately, all feelings of disappointment and guilt from earlier dissolving into pure energy and happiness. He loved her. They were in love. It had all happened so fast, but Ella was certain it was real. There was no other way to explain what she felt for Peter, and she had no doubt that he was telling the truth as well.

When he pulled away, Ella beamed at him before going in for a second kiss, more innocent than before but just as passionate. She was so excited, so thrilled to be in love and be loved in return. A lot of people never got that, and once upon a time Ella had never believed that she would be one of the lucky ones. But here she was, sitting with a man she could see herself spending forever with. She finally pulled away and settled against him, holding him as tightly as she knew how.

Peter wasn't really sure what to think, or what might be going on Ella's head. The mood didn't feel ruined, exactly, just... Gone. A part of him was anxious that this might have soured their first date together, and he was suddenly more aware now more than ever how completely naive he was about what it took to court a girl. He was pretty sure sleeping with someone on the first day was not proper, though. Not in this high society world she lived in and he was now a part of for better or worse. How much he would have liked to slip his hands under her skirts and explore places unseen and untouched before... But it was a mark of how much she was influencing him that he didn't. It wasn't even for selfish reasons, just cautious ones.

He gave her a small smile when she said it had to be his decision too, and reached for her hand. "Believe me, when the time comes, I won't be doing it because I feel obliged to," he said. He was a man, and an experienced one at that. Like other men, he wasn't ashamed of lust. Given the opportunity he would not reject Ella's advances if she truly wanted that. He just felt better about it knowing she realized all of what was at stake. Whenever she did decide it was time, he would be ready and willing. He didn't want her to worry about him though, although he also realized it was easier said than done. "My past is my problem to deal with, and I'll accept responsibility for whatever consequences come of it. But as long as I'm here, let's just take it a day at a time, hmm?" He was tired of living in fear of his past, and that was not something he wished for Ella to hold with her either. They could worry should the day come.

Saying 'I love you' was somehow a lot easier than he expected it to be. The words carried a certain kind of weight, but they flowed easily out of him once he realized it was true. Peter didn't allow himself to get close to people, so he knew when he started getting close to her that something different was there or he never would have allowed it. Yes, it was fast, but it was a kind of passion and caring he'd never had for another person before. It was somehow more dangerous to follow her to her childhood home than it had ever been to be a pirate, and yet he was here. Because of her. Because he cared for her, and wanted to protect her. It had scared him to see her when she got sick and he thought she was going to die. It scared him to think about leaving her, or another man sweeping her up in his arms. How else could he explain that if it were not love?

He kissed her back, letting the feeling of what he now recognized as love wash over him. He wasn't worried about having ruined their first date anymore. He felt more secure now, and sure of himself, as he wrapped his arms up around her. There was less danger of getting carried away now, but he still felt the same sort of thrill and love just kissing her innocently as he would have otherwise. Just having her as his was all he wanted and needed right now.

With a happy chuckle, he laid back and pulled her close, kissing the top of her head. He was content with this, and he was even more pleased to see that the stars had come out now. "Does this mean I can start calling you those annoyingly cutesy nicknames people reserve for their girlfriends now? Like 'pumpkin' or 'sweetie'?" he grinned. 'Love' was a popular one he'd heard Alec use with Josephine, but he wasn't sure he could do it without feeling like a complete goon.

Ella wasn't entirely convinced that he understood what she meant about it having to be his decision as well, but she let it slide for now. He would understand eventually, she hoped. Ella didn't necessarily want to be the one to have to initiate, either, but if it came down to that...well, she didn't know. It was too soon to tell. Ella had no idea what that moment would look like when it finally came; it could be next week or a year from now on their honeymoon for all she knew. Now wasn't the time to be overthinking it. "Well, okay," she finally consented, smiling and looking down at their joined hands. "Just don't leave it up to me. Not entirely."

It was painfully noble of him to say that he would accept whatever consequences he may encounter because of his past, but Ella didn't think that he should have to. She thought that he should be forgiven and granted a second chance, and anything else was unfair. She was terrified of seeing him go to jail, or worse, be executed for piracy. If that happened, Peter couldn't just take it all lying down. He had to put up a fight, stand up for himself. And wasn't that exactly what he'd been teaching her to do? If he was taken out of her life now...Ella didn't know what she would do. She didn't know that she could live with that, and she was a little confused about how unconcerned Peter seemed to be. He was minimizing the problem...or maybe Ella was just worrying too much. Her worrying wasn't going to help anything, so she nodded when he suggested that they just take things one day at a time. "One day at a time," she repeated, nodding. "I'll try. But you're not going anywhere." She hugged his arm tightly, unwilling to let go and trying not to imagine what it would feel like to never be able to see him again.

Ella laid down on the blanket with him, cuddled against each other and gazing up at the stars. She had never felt happier in her life. Her life was completely changed now, knowing that the man she loved loved her in return. Ella didn't think that anything would ever be the same after this, and she had a moment where she realized that Josephine was right. Love was worth looking for and hoping for, even though Ella's love had fallen into her life rather unexpectedly. Looking back to the first day when they were captured and being held under the ship, Ella never would have believed someone who told her that she would fall in love with the pirate who brought them their food. But here they were.

She closed her eyes, smiling as she curled up against him. His suggestion of calling her cutesy nicknames made her laugh and filled her with a warm fuzzy feeling. She opened her eyes and turned her head to look at him. "Yes, I think so," she confirmed. "In fact, I insist that you do. But don't call me a pumpkin," she requested with a giggle. Ella didn't fancy being compared to a huge, orange fruit. "Sometimes men at parties would call me a dove. Any kind of small animal, really- someone called me kitten once. Or angel, doll, princess, cupcake...feel free to use any of those." Ella hadn't liked it so much at the time, but she though she would like it if it was Peter calling her those things. It would be amusing.

Peter took her hand and kissed the back of it reassuringly. It didn't bother him to wait, and he hoped it wouldn't bother her. It was just the smarter decision right now. Once they had a little more time together to explore what it meant to be involved in a relationship, then they could explore that other avenue together. When they were both ready and willing, and there was less of a danger of this being used against them somehow. The last thing he wanted was for Josephine to catch them, or her father to find out and decide he was no longer a viable suitor for Ella. Or to hurt her.

Peter didn't let on how much it actually scared him that somebody would find out about him. He had heard horrible things about prison, about cold, damp, and dirty it was. Even worse was the thought of dying. Not just because if they executed him, it would most likely be painful. It was the thought of nothing, and the thought of disappointing Ella. Perhaps the worst of it was just knowing that if he got caught he would have to go on without her one way or another. He didn't bring any of this up, though, because he wanted to believe it wouldn't happen. If all he could think about was his past he would never be able to escape it anyway. He would rather focus on his future, which as long as the world was good to him, would be bright, happy, and he could be the man he was supposed to be all along.

Looking up at the stars helped soothe those worries. It didn't hurt that Ella was beside him. He loved having her body curled up against him, tucked underneath his arm. It felt perfect and calm, and he was happy like this. Happier than he could ever remember. He had to laugh at her answer about the nicknames, and for a moment he couldn't tell if her insistence was just a joke or genuine. He turned his head to glance at her before decided that she probably did actually hope he would call her something, and he felt his ears grow warm at the thought. It was slightly embarrassing. The men on the ship would have poked fun at him endlessly if they ever caught him calling her any of those nicknames in sincerity.

He gave her a somewhat unbelieving look as she listed all the names she'd been called in the past. Were the men around here really that nauseating? On what planet was comparing a woman to a bird considered polite or cute? Just because you called a pigeon a dove didn't mean the bird spent less time roaming around the dirty alleyways and gutters of London. "No, none of those. You're not a small little pet. You're a lioness," he said. If he was in fact going to call her something, it better mean something. It couldn't be just anything any other man could call her on a whim when they were feeling flirtatious.

He turned his gaze back to the stars, thinking. A slow grin spread across his face as he thought of one. It was terribly cheesy, and she probably wouldn't like it, but he said it anyway. "How about starshine?" he suggested. "I used the stars to navigate, and well, you're my compass now." He risked a glance at her to see what she thought of that.

Ella turned her head towards his shoulder, resting on top of his arm. She loved feeling his warmth and his presence beside her, and she felt like she could stay next to him forever. She felt his chest bounce up and down when he laughed, causing her to smile and curl up closer to him. Over the course of the years, she and Josephine had been called all sorts of funny nicknames. Ella didn't mind things like dove or princess as much, even if they were fairly generic. Some of the others she wasn't a huge fan of, but Peter could probably call her just about anything with the intention of being cute and she would like it.

She grinned at his comment, rather liking the idea of being a lioness. Ella wasn't sure that was what she was, but it fit her quite a bit better than something like kitten did. She wasn't a timid, weak little creature like women were expected to be- she was a strong force to be reckoned with, and she realized not for the first time how lucky she was to have a man who loved her for that and didn't try to undermine her stronger personality. Peter was unlike any man she'd ever met, and far better than any man she would have eventually married. Ella couldn't believe that she had been so complacent before meeting him. "Hm, I like that," she said, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "Does that make you my lion?" She wasn't sure that 'lion' fit Peter especially well; he was certainly strong and he had the long hair to go with it. But lions made Ella think of a more pretentious personality, and that wasn't him. Peter was humble and gentle and kind, even though he definitely had his intensities.

Starshine. It was pretty, Ella decided, smiling at the thought of him calling her that. And his reasoning behind it transformed it from a pretty sounding nickname to something with actual meaning. And, he could always call her 'star' for short. "That's beautiful. I love it," she told him. She was his compass. That was quite a statement, and Ella wasn't exactly sure what it meant, but she understood where he was coming from. She felt like he was her anchor. It didn't make a great nickname even though it was appropriate considering his love of the sea, but it was true. Lately, he was the only person keeping her company, keeping her from going insane. He was the reason it had been so easy for her to recover from the pirate ship, the reason this season in her life was the happiest she'd ever been. He was everything. "Would you like a nickname?" she asked.

Smiling again, she leaned in and kissed him on the lips, running her thumb across his cheek. "I wish we could stay here all night," she murmured, turning her gaze back up to the starlit sky. She tried, briefly, to pick out the constellations, but she had never been able to do it. "How do you navigate the stars?" she asked him curiously. "They always just seem like random specks to me." She knew that the stars were constant, but Ella had never been able to pick out the same arrangement more than once. "Do you see any constellations?"

Peter wondered if Ella had even seen a lion before - male or female. He knew sometimes they were brought around to big cities on exhibit, for performers to showcase and charge money for those without the means or bravery for travel to marvel at. Tom had tried to buy one once, but much like the elephant, the crew quickly persuaded him not to. It was not worth risking all their lives for, and it was cruel for the animal. She would probably like to see one, if she hadn't already. They were fierce and so was she. "I'm not sure I'm a lion," he said. He was protective, sure. Strong enough. But something about the analogy didn't quite fit, even if he couldn't put a finger on why.

Rubbing her arm lovingly, he smiled to hear she liked the ridiculous pet name he came up with. He just knew he couldn't call her something anyone else could use. She was special and he would treat her as such. "I thought it might be a little... much," he confessed, face growing warm. He didn't know why the idea of pet names had him so in a tizzy. Maybe because he just never thought he would use one before. "But if you like it, I suppose I can slip into conversation every now and again." He grinned and kissed her forehead. "Starshine," he added with a low chuckle, then raised an eyebrow at her inquiry. "If I were to have one, what would it be?" he asked.

He let her kiss him, just feeling happy to be in the moment. It was like the previous few minutes of awkwardness just melted away and they could be content now, having confessed their love for each other without the need to show it more intimately. "Me too," he agreed, though he knew they would need to return eventually. Teaching her to read the stars was not going to be a one night task, but he could help point out a few things to her while they still had time. He pointed up, directing her attention to the brightest star in the sky. "Well, the easiest thing to remember is that's the north star. It's the easiest to see, and it points north. If you follow it up to those other two stars there," he showed her with his finger. "You can find the big dipper. It's shaped like a ladle. Then that forms part of Ursa Major, which is the bear constellation." He traced the outline with his fingers.

Ella hadn't ever seen a lion before. The circus had come to London a few times, but Father had always insisted that it was a classless event and that he wasn't going to pay for them to go see some people wear too much makeup and make fools of themselves. Ella and Josephine had always wanted to go and see the animals, but they'd never had the opportunity. She smiled at Peter's response, fingering the ends of his hair affectionately. "No, I don't think so either," she agreed. Lions were beautiful, majestic creatures, but for some reason Peter didn't quite fit. "You've got the mane, though," she teased.

She giggled when she saw that he was blushing, and snuggled closer to him. "Well, maybe," she admitted. It was a little bit cheesy, and it didn't seem like something that would just roll off the tongue. But it was cute, and Ella liked the thought behind it. "If you don't like it, there's quite a few variations of star names." When he asked what his nickname would be, Ella took a moment to think about it. She felt like men were harder to nickname, because it had to be a little less cutesy. And he'd come up with something so unique, she couldn't just say something cliche. "I...I don't know," she admitted a few moments later. "I don't know that you're a pet name kind of guy. I'd call you my anchor, but that doesn't have a very good ring to it. I'll have to think about it, but I think I could work in 'sweetie' or 'honey' every once in a while if you'd like." Ella wasn't sure if Josephine called Alec anything cute, but she didn't think that she did. It did tend to be more something that guys did for their girlfriends, but Ella wished she could think of something that fit him, something appropriate. She'd just have to wait for the proper inspiration.

It was starting to get late, and Ella knew that their time together was going to have to come to an end sooner or later. If they stayed out for too long Josephine would come and hunt them down, and Ella would much rather end their date with him walking her to her room and a kiss goodnight. But she didn't want it to end at all, and she found herself wishing that time would just stop. She watched as he traced the patterns in the sky, interested. The North Star didn't seem especially bright to her, but if she squinted her eyes she could tell that it shone a little brighter than all the rest. With a little practice, she would probably be able to find it herself.

"I see it!" she exclaimed excitedly when he pointed out the big dipper. It looked like a ladle, just as he said. She was pretty excited to see her first constellation (at least what she hoped was it) but he lost her when he started talking about a bear constellation, and again Ella was squinting trying to make it out. "I don't see a bear," she said. "It doesn't look like a bear." Constellations were funny- she didn't understand how people thought they saw pictures when really it was just a weird arrangement of stars. But Peter, somehow, knew how to read them. It was rather amazing, and she was impressed. "Maybe I'll call you honeybear," she teased, going back to their nickname discussion.

Peter grinned. "I'm surprised your father is okay with it," he said, referring to his hair. The men around here didn't seem to wear it long like he did. It was so much of his identity now, he wasn't sure he could ever cut it. Ella liked it anyway, and that was enough for him to keep it long. It was too much work to have to maintain neatly trimmed hair, and he thought having it longer suited him far better. He especially liked when Ella when played with it, like she was now.

"No, I think I like it," he said, as awkward as it would be to throw in conversation here and there. He just could see nothing else when he looked at her. She was bright and cheerful, and his new moral compass. He was never very eloquent with words anyway. He kissed her temple then nodded his head in agreement. He had never even been a nickname sort of man. He hated when people called him Pete, or when Tom used to just refer to him as 'boy' until he grew some actual muscle and started getting the attention of women when they docked. "Why your anchor?" he asked, curious what made her come up with that even if she wasn't set on it.

He had to chuckle at her excitement about finding the big dipper. "Good job," he commended. "There's a little one, too. Look there." He redirected her gaze to spot the little one, which was a smaller clone of the one he just pointed out. Her frustration about Ursa Major was understandable though. Not all of the constellations we're neat and literal like the dippers were. "You have to use a bit of your imagination," he explained. "It's less of an outline and more like the skeleton of a bear. Try picturing an invisible bear around the stars instead of connecting them." It might take some practice. As a boy it had confused him at first, too.

He turned to her at the suggestion of honey bear and smiled. It was not something he would want anyone to call him, but he had to admit if it came from her mouth, he might just be able to endure it. "I like it," he said, drawing her near and tipping her chin up so he could kiss her lips. "You can call me whatever you like, estrella," he added, using the Spanish variation of the word star for her. It rolled a little easier than the full, English variation but held all the same meaning.

Ella shrugged, continuing to comb her fingers through his hair. She loved touching it and playing with it, and she hoped that he never cut it. Unless of course he wanted to, but not out of a desire to fit in or to look like everyone else. He was special and different, and he didn't need to pretend not to be. "I don't know. What good reason does he have to tell you to cut your hair?" she asked. "It's not as if it changes who you are. Mr. Lawrence might, I suppose, but Father won't." She frowned, thinking about that. It was possible that Mr. Lawrence had a certain standard for dress and grooming when it came to his employees and it might include short hair, but Ella hoped not.

She considered her answer to his question carefully. It wasn't that it was hard to answer, but she wanted him to understand fully. "Well...I feel safe when I'm with you," she replied. "You keep me steady, you keep me from going crazy." Ella could be a rather flighty, wild girl, but Peter kept her grounded. "And without you...I'd be lost like I was before. I'm tired of floating around aimlessly. I've found where I want to be, and I'm here to stay." Before Peter, Ella had just gone wherever life took her, doing her best to stay indifferent to it all. Now she knew what she wanted, and what she wanted was right here. He really was her anchor, and he had saved her just as much as she had saved him.

"Ooh." Now that she'd found the big dipper, it wasn't too hard to find the little one. Her eyes sparkled with excitement, thrilled to actually be able to recognize a constellation. She'd never been able to do it before. "I see that one, too." Using her imagination to find the bear was a little trickier. Ella was able to figure out where the stars were, but she couldn't figure out how in the world someone had looked at that and decided that it was a bear. "It doesn't have a head," she complained, squinting and tilting her head at it, "but...I think maybe I can make it out."

'Honey bear' was obviously a joke; Ella didn't think she could ever take herself seriously calling him that, but when he said that he liked it she figured she'd bring it up at some point, when he least expected it. Giggling, she readjusted her position next to him and pressed a kiss to his shoulder. "Okay, honey bear," she said with a playful smile.

She closed her eyes and kissed him back, feeling her heart warm at the sound of the nickname. She recognized the Spanish and thought that she liked it even better. "I like that," she murmured, pressing another soft kiss against his lips. "It even has my name in it." They laid still for a while longer, enjoying each other's company before finally sitting up to finish their meal. Ella snacked on the chocolate while Peter helped her identify a few more constellations, but far too soon it was time to go inside. Ella helped pack up the leftovers and fold up the blanket, wishing that tonight didn't have to end.

"That was really nice," she said to Peter, glancing up at him. "I see many more dates in our future. Maybe the beach next time," she suggested, pressing the back of his hand to her lips. "We'll go swimming or something."

No, his hair wouldn't change who he was, but the world was a very strange place. People made judgements based on the smallest of things. "Well, it's not exactly high society," he said. "Your father is a nice man, and I'm glad he doesn't mind it. Im just not naive enough to believe everyone is as understanding and tolerant as he is." He was unsure what he would encounter as soon as he started working for Mr.Lawrence.

He listened curiously as she explained why she saw him an anchor. He found himself smiling, his heart warming with her admiration. Peter wanted her to feel safe with him, he wanted her to not be so complacent with her life and chase after the things she wanted. Oddly everything she was saying... It was why she was her compass. "I feel the same with you," he said. "I would never have left that ship if I didn't meet you. I would never have known what it was like to care for someone else like I do you, or what it means to find a family again. I thought... I thought Tom and the men were the only family I could ever know after my parents and sister died, but I was wrong. They don't even compare to you."

He laughed as she tried to see the bear again. "Well, no, I suppose it doesn't. That's why you have to imagine it." If she struggled with the Ursa Major, he couldn't wait to see her reaction to the other more ridiculous constellations. "You know, the Greeks had all sorts of stories to accompany the constellations." He launched into the story behind Ursa Major, having memorized them all a long, long time ago thanks to his father.

"You're right, I never even noticed," he said, having not even noticed how her name was in the word. It was even better now, and he kissed her back before sitting up and helping her start to clear away their picnic. He had a lot of fun on their date as well, and he was proud this had gone so smoothly. "Good. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I'd love to visit the beach, though. I do miss the ocean." Swimming would be fun. He hadn't even done that since long before they left the ship.

Helping her up, he gathered up their picnic basket and linked her arm in his to escort her back to the house. He dropped the picnic basket off in the kitchen, though Rory had disappeared a long time ago by now. Then back at the door to her room, he lingered. He leaned in and gave her a long, gentle kiss goodnight. It was a habit by now, but this one felt special. It was how you were supposed to end a date, and he loved her. When he pulled away he kissed her forehead again. "Goodnight, Ella," he said. "I love you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back