• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Caught in the Waves (Closed)

Alec didn't know what to say. It wasn't fair, but life never was. He didn't know how he could fix this or if it was even within his power to fix. He settled for keeping his arms tightly around her, stroking her hair soothingly and rocking from side to side. Josephine hardly ever cried. She had always been the less emotional of the two sisters, and that was one of the reasons Alec had been more drawn to her in the first place. He wasn't incredibly emotional himself, but the recent turn of events had him verging on tears as well.

"I know," he sighed. "I know. I'm sorry." He didn't think it was wise to tell Josephine now, but he understood her father's point of view. He hadn't called Alec's character into question, or even his love for Josephine. The problem was that Alec couldn't provide for her, and they all knew it. He had nothing. He lived in the loft above the stables- Josephine couldn't move in with him there. What father would allow his daughter, a high-class young lady with multiple wealthy suitors, to marry a man like him? Alec could scarcely believe he'd ever actually thought it might turn out differently. He was willing to work to become who he needed to be, but would he have the time?

"Of course not," he promised when she begged him not to give up on them. "Of course not. You're all I want in this world, Josie. We're not giving up, we just...might not see each other for a little while." He had nothing else to fight for, and even if he did there was nothing else he wanted. "But it's okay, you'll see. You've got Ella to keep out of trouble, and I'll work nonstop until I can buy that house. If I can prove that I can give you a good life, maybe he'll reconsider."

Ella was glad that Peter went along with her little half-truth. It was all he needed to know for now, as far as Ella was concerned, and after what had just happened with Alec and Father saying that he wanted "justice," it was probably best to keep it this way.

"No, I insist," their father said to Peter, allowing a smile to come across his stern face in response to his humility. "There must be something that I can help you with."

"Peter needs a fresh start," Ella spoke up again, rolling onto her side and propping herself up on her elbows. It was tiring, but it was important. "He doesn't have anywhere to live. Can he come with us? Maybe you can help him find a job, or an apprenticeship. He had to work on the ship, so he knows a lot about sailing and fishing and navigating, and carpentry, I think." Things always needed repairing on that ship, and Ella had seen more than one pirate with a hammer and nails. She looked towards Peter with bright eyes, hopeful that he would like her suggestion. Whatever he thought, her father seemed to like it.

"Yes, I think that could be arranged," he agreed. "I have several connections, friends I could recommend you to, and we could put you up for a bit until you get on your feet. Shouldn't be more than a month, I'd say. How does that sound?" Ella nodded at Peter, willing him to accept the offer. Father could get him a good job, one that would pay well and lead to better things on down the road. He was a good connection to have, and the job market was all about who had the best connections. There was a reason the pirates had known their family name.

Last edited:
Josephine felt somewhat comforted by Alec's words, but she wasn't sure how much it all mattered anymore. He could try to save up enough to convince her father otherwise, but would it be fast enough? They couldn't drag this out much longer, particularly now that father had been made aware of their relationship. Her father would also be watching her closely, and if she slipped up, Alec would lose his job. And then they really would have no chance.

She held onto him tighter, afraid to let him go. She hated to think she would be forced to go days without seeing him. Maybe she could catch a glimpse or two on outings, but the thought of not being able to talk to him, hold him, or kiss him hurt. They were used to hiding their relationship from the public, but they had always been able to count on their secret meetings a few times a week. Now they would not even be able to have that. She wished she could just take his hand and they could run away from it all and be together that way, but he was right. She had Ella to look out for.

She tilted her head up and kissed him, passionately, knowing this may the last time she ever got to do this. She was still crying and desperate, and her hands were shaking, but she wanted to leave him with a reminder of how much she loved him before they were forced to separate. "I love you," she said. "We're going to make this work... we have to make this work..." She was going to hold onto that last bit of hope for as long as she could, even if she was starting to doubt her own optimism by now.

Peter was nearly speechless. He'd come off the ship knowing he would be trying to find work, but he never expected to have any help with it. He'd figure he'd struggle for a few weeks until he eventually found something, but now he was practically having his fresh start handed to him on a silver platter. And to top it all off, he wouldn't have to say goodbye to Ella thanks to his father's offer.

He looked between the two of them in amazement, then to her father, he nodded. "Wow, I... I really don't know what to say. Thank you, sir," he said, stepping forward and offering his hand for a shake. Their father reached out and took it, giving him a firm handshake, a nod, and a dignified smile.

"No, thank you," he replied. "For looking out for my daughters. It's settled then. You'll stay with us until you get on your feet, and I'll find somebody ready and willing to employ a fine man such as yourself."

Alec couldn't imagine what the next several weeks were going to be like. He had always had Josephine's visits to the loft to look forward to, and he had spent most of his free time thinking about her or trying to think of little things that he could do for her. She'd probably gotten bored of him buying her flowers from town, and he didn't even know where she put them, but she really was his only reason for doing anything. He worked hard so that he could keep his job where he could see her, and after today he would work even harder. He had some money saved up, tucked inside his pillowcase in the loft. It wasn't much, probably only about half of what he needed, but it was a start.

He kissed her back with an equal passion, running his hands through her hair. When they separated, he tenderly kissed away the tears rolling down her cheeks. "I love you, too," he said, pouring all the emotion he was feeling into those three little words. It appeared as though their positions had switched; now she was the one despairing and he was the one trying to be optimistic. He was doing it for her, though. Alec didn't know if he really had a shot at getting his plan to work. It was only a fool's hope, but he would put everything into it. Doing that was the only way they had a chance. He just had to be fast, and the scary thing was neither of them knew how fast.

"We should probably go back in there," he said softly, tilting her chin up to meet her eyes. He didn't want to, and he was sure that she didn't either. But they weren't doing themselves any favors by staying out here. "I love you. It'll all turn out fine, you'll see." He didn't know if that was true, but he hoped it was. Alec pressed one more soft kiss to her lips and took her hand, leading her back to the bedroom. Just before they entered he dropped it and shoved both of his hands into his pockets.

Ella beamed, elated that Peter had accepted. That meant that they would still be able to see each other, and he would get a good start on his new life. She was confident that he would be successful in whatever he ended up doing. Ella just hoped that he liked it.

She clapped her hands delightedly, excited about the prospects. "Great," she said. "Daddy, when can we go home?"

Father sat down on the bed next to her again, pulling her into his arms and pressing a kiss to the top of her head. "As soon as you're well enough to travel, sweetheart."

"I think I'm well enough," Ella said. Now that he was here, she was sure that things were going to be alright and she just wanted to go home. She was excited to show her home to Peter, and her bedroom with all her books. Everything seemed perfect until Alec came back into the room, and she remembered that her sister had just had her heart broken. Ella sobered somewhat and the smile faded from her face, but in light of all that home still seemed like the best option.

"Don't be silly, Ella. You need at least one more night. You've still got a fever." He took the rag and got it wet again, wringing it out before placing it on her forehead, gently prompting her to lay down. Similar to Josephine, seeing her like this was giving him flashbacks of when his wife died, a time he would rather not remember. "I'll tell you what. If your fever breaks tonight, we'll go home tomorrow. If not, we're going to find you a better doctor." Ella supposed that was reasonable. He looked back and, noticing Alec and Josephine, stood again.

"I'll pay for another room for you gentlemen," he decided, speaking to Alec and Peter. It probably wasn't best to move Ella now, even though he wasn't overly fond of the current accommodations. "I'll stay with the girls for tonight."

Josephine didn't want to leave. She didn't want to go back into that room, because the moment they did, it meant that it was over. She could no longer openly be with Alec, and it would next to impossible to secretly be with him anymore. She tried hard not to think too much about what was waiting for her back home. She was already heartbroken enough without thinking about any of the potential suitors her father had arranged, or his expectations about how soon she would need to get married. She should be happy that their father was here, but right now she could barely stand to look at him.

She choked back the tears that wouldn't stop coming to the best of her ability and refused to let go of Alec's hand until she absolutely had to. Knowing they had to be in the same building together, but not able to be as they were before, bothered her even more than it did when they were keeping everything a secret. Alec had done so much for her, it seemed like a waste, and a shame, to not be able to openly love him. She didn't understand how he wasn't worthy enough in the eyes of her father after all he had put himself through to be with her.

Once in the room, Josephine retreated to the corner. She sank to the floor and buried her head in her knees. All she wanted was to be alone and not have to face her father. She didn't want to talk to anyone, or look at anyone, and most of all she just wished they could go home where she could lock herself up in her bedroom and take comfort in her bed for a few days. She had never experienced a broken heart before, but in some ways she felt almost as sick as Ella did.

Peter almost felt bad for the good fortune he'd just been given when he saw the faces of Josephine and Alec. It was a pity that while he had been rewarded, Alec had essentially been punished. And for what? Loving somebody enough to risk his life? It was incredibly unfair given that Peter was more undeserving of what had been given to him. How ironic that the pirate was getting a job and a fresh start while the two people who clearly loved each other were facing heartbreak.

Unfortunately, there was nothing he could say or do about it. It was not his decision, nor his place, and he couldn't help the bit of happiness he felt at the prospect of starting a new life and continuing to spend time with Ella. He nodded silently at their father's words, then smiled softly to Ella from across the room. He felt it would be a inappropriate to go to her right now, but he did want to thank her when he got the chance.

"Get well, Ella," he said before he, their father, and Alec left to obtain the extra room.

Ella did not want to lay down, but she did as she was told without complaining. She didn't feel like arguing with anything Father said, not right now. After all that had just happened, her best bet was just to cooperate with whatever he wanted right now. Tension was heavy in the room, and she watched as Josephine went to hide in the corner. She didn't know what she could say to her sister to make her feel better, and as sick as she was she wasn't sure if she had the strength to stand up and go to her. Ella didn't even know if Josephine would want her comfort or advice. Maybe she would just want her to go away and shut up.

She was thrilled that Peter would be okay and that she would be able to continue seeing him, but now she wondered how that might affect Josephine. Would it make her angry, knowing that the man Ella liked was allowed to eat dinner with them and sleep in their house but Alec wasn't? Even Ella had to admit, it was strange and unfortunate. Alec was a good man, and he deserved better than what he was getting. It was likely that Peter had committed far more crimes in the past year than Alec had ever committed in his lifetime, and yet Alec was the one who had to live in the stables and wasn't going to be getting any help from her father. It wasn't fair, but Ella didn't know what she could do about it. She wasn't about to tell her father that Peter was a pirate just to even the score, and she thought that Peter deserved what he was getting anyways. She just felt bad for Alec and Josephine.

Ella returned Peter's smile, watching as the men left the room. Alec cast a glance over at Josephine, obviously wanting to go to her but knowing that he couldn't. He followed Peter and the girls' father out, staring at the ground. The door closed behind them, and Ella looked to her sister, wishing that she had the strength to get up and go wrap her arms around her.

"I'm sorry, Josie," she said lamely. What could she say? Nothing was going to make this better, nothing but time. "I really thought that he might decide differently. But he only said for the foreseeable future, you know. Maybe there's still a chance?" It probably wasn't nice to try and get Josephine's hopes up, but Ella hated to see her so upset. She wished that there was more she could do. "You should change, you'll feel better."

Alec did his best not to sulk in front of Josephine's father. At the front desk he bought some dinner for himself and for Peter while the older man paid for a second room, handing them the key and promising to inform them of Ella's condition and the travel plans tomorrow morning. He bought dinner for himself and the girls as well before heading back down the hall to the room.

Peter and Alec's room was on the opposite side of the hall, probably not by accident. Alec unlocked the door to reveal two small beds, which he supposed would be nice for the night even if he wasn't overly fond of Peter, and was missing Josephine already. He was still trying to process through what had happened.

Crossing to the other side of the room, Alec sat down on the far bed and reached down to pull his shoes off of his aching feet. "What did he say to you?" he asked Peter, exhaustion obvious in his voice.

Josephine looked over at Ella, but she didn't move from her spot in the corner. She wasn't sure she wanted to talk about it, and mostly she just wanted to be alone, but it was impossible with Ella not feeling well and their father being in town. She wanted Ella to get better just as before, but she was finding herself wishing now more than ever that she would wake up well enough for them to get out of here in the morning.

After a few moments she just shook her head before standing to rummage through her father's bag for the change of clothes. "No," she said. "I was stupid to think it could ever work. I used to know that, but I got carried away... I shouldn't be surprised." She was still hoping she was wrong deep down, and she knew she wouldn't actually be able to let go of Alec so easily. The truth was, no matter how hard she tried to be realistic about it, she was always going to return to that idea of them in a house in the country. That was what love did to people. She wouldn't give up even if a part of her felt like it wanted to, because the idea of living a life without him hurt too much.

She fished the dress out of the bag, but even a clean dress was unable to lift her spirits much. She wandered behind a changing screen and stripped out of the old one. The new one was loose on her, but at least it didn't smell like the sea. "Can we just... can we just not talk about it?" she requested, moving over to the wash basin to wipe away the evidence of her tears, although her eyes were still red and puffy even after the water washed away the stickiness. Speaking of talking, she was sure she would never utter a word to her father again. At least not anytime soon.

Peter was sad that he couldn't spend the night by Ella's side again, but it was understandable why their father wanted them in separate rooms. There also just physically was not enough room for the five of them. He wasn't sure what to say to Alec, though. They were not friends, and Peter knew Alec did not have the greatest opinion of him, but he felt awkward not acknowledging the elephant in the room or trying to offer him some kind or encouraging words of sympathy.

Thankfully Alec ended up breaking the silence the first, and as Peter sat down on the edge of the bed, he considered how he would answer Alec's question as delicately as possible. He did not want to flaunt his fortune in front of a man who had been considerably less lucky than him this evening, but he would not lie to him either.

"He just thanked me for my help," he said. "Told me he would help me get on my feet, help me find a job somewhere, and lend me a room to stay in for a little while." It really did seem more unfair the more he thought about it, but what was he to do? He could tell their father the truth, but then he risked his life, and Peter had always been a survivalist. It was a shame that Alec faced a less dignified situation, but it was just the way the dice had been rolled. There was nothing he could personally do to change things, unless he turned the man's offer. But he had already tried that, and selfishly, he wasn't sure he wanted to say goodbye to Ella just yet.

Ella bit on her bottom lip. She couldn't help but feel partially responsible; if she hadn't been the one to suggest to Josephine that Father might let her marry Alec after he'd come onto the pirate ship for them, maybe the idea never would have entered her head in the first place. It probably would have, but she knew that she had been the one to bring it up.

As for right now, Ella knew that nothing she could say would make this any better. Josephine was going to have to go through the pain of not being with Alec, possibly forever. It broke Ella's heart a little bit too; she hadn't given it a lot of thought before, but after these last few weeks, she didn't know if she could picture her sister with anyone else. It was a strange thought. When she requested not to talk about it Ella nodded, pulling her covers closer to her chin. It was understandable she didn't want to talk about it; Ella hadn't even wanted to talk about Peter, and obviously that was a much smaller deal than this.

"Okay," she consented. "But I'm here if you need me." Ella hadn't entrusted Josephine with her deepest feelings recently, so she doubted that Josephine was going to open up to her right away. But maybe when they got home they would find a way to both open up to each other. Neither of them really had anyone else at this point, and Ella felt bad about being jealous on the ship. Only in retrospect could she see how stupid and immature she had been behaving.

Moments later, their father reentered the room. He had with him some familiar bowls of stew, that when prompted Ella found she could actually stomach tonight. Surely yesterday had been the worst of it, and tomorrow she would be well enough to travel. Her fever wasn't as high as it had been this morning, either. No one in the room said much; Ella and her father only exchanged a few words here and there. Everyone could feel the tension, and Ella hoped that it was better by morning. But she wouldn't be surprised if Josephine didn't speak to Father for a while.

Alec listened to Peter, unable to help the twinge of jealousy he felt. Alec was the one who had sought out the pirate ship for the sole purpose of saving his daughters, and Peter was just a random person- pirate, no less- they had met along the way. He had done a lot to help them, Alec had to admit, but he couldn't help feeling bitter.

"Funny," he commented, "how if you had the label of a pirate attached to you he would have sent you to the gallows. But without it, you're a free man." He was quiet for a moment, before shaking his head. "I'm sorry," he said to Peter. "I don't mean it in the bad way. I don't think you're that bad of a man, Peter, I was just...it's ironic, I suppose. Congratulations. You'll be very well off. Just wait until you see the mansion."

Alec doubted that Peter would have seen anything like it before. Or maybe he had, but not up close. It was a huge white mansion right outside of town, upon acres of green fields. There was a marble staircase, high ceilings, and crystal chandeliers. A massive space for three people and their servants, but theirs nonetheless. Ella and Josephine probably owned a hundred gowns each, varying in formality but all stunning and custom made. Peter would probably get some fine new tailored clothes of his own, come to think of it. The family was losing money, but that did not mean they weren't still wealthy. And Alec was sure they would bounce back.

When their father returned, Josephine took her bowl of stew, but she didn't touch it. Funny how when Ella finally regained her appetite, Josephine was now the one who couldn't stomach it. She only held it in her hands for warmth, but otherwise stared blankly into space in silence while her sister and her father ate and exchanged a few words. Whenever he tried to speak a word to her, he was ignored. Even when he simply tried to get her to take a few bites. It bothered him to see his daughter like this, while his other daughter was sick in bed, but he didn't regret his decision. He believed that this was best and that eventually it would pass. All that mattered to him was that they both returned home to him, even if one of them was a little upset with him right now.

When it was time to turn in, their father took one of the cots left by Alec and Peter, and Josephine returned to her spot on the bed beside Ella. She didn't have the patience for a conversation, especially not with father in the room, but she found herself curling up against her sister. She wasn't sure whether it was to comfort Ella or herself. Maybe a bit of both. But she welcomed sleep when it finally came to her. Her mind and her heart were finally put at rest for the night, and she could be at peace at least for a few hours.

Peter's mouth set into a firm frown, but he could understand Alec's bitterness about it. Everything was still fresh, and circumstances really weren't fair. Peter was in disbelief about it himself. Before Ella got sick, he was supposed to have been long gone by now. He wondered how things might have worked out differently if he'd followed that original plan, but unfortunately for Alec and Josephine, they might have received the same result.

He leaned back into his pillows, looking towards Alec with Peter. "That's alright," he said, deciding not be upset with him for his remark. Everything he'd said was true, after all. Peter actually felt guilty about that. "I can understand why it might be upsetting for you. I could hardly believe it worked out the way it did, myself," he admitted. He was not sure what to expect when they actually reached the girls' home. Peter had spent nearly his whole life on the ship, and before that, the family home he'd grown up in was small and modest. Nothing luxurious.

"I'm really sorry," he said, expressing his sympathies. "I know how much you love her. It's not right, how it ended up." Seeing what happened to them reminded him why he'd been hesitant to get close to Ella in the first place. He wouldn't say he loved her. Not nearly, and not yet. He wasn't even entirely sure what that felt like. But he did like her, more than and differently from anybody else he'd ever known. If they shared a similar future as Alec and Josephine did, he was not looking forward to that.

Ella didn't need a whole lot of comfort, but she cuddled against Josephine as well. She wanted to get better, so she let Father put one more cool wet rag over her forehead before they all drifted off to sleep. Ella had slept for most of the day, but she had no trouble falling back asleep for the rest of the night. She was exhausted, and sleep came easily with Josephine at her side.

Alec didn't say anything. He didn't have anything to say to Peter, really, and he didn't want to appear as jealous as he was. "Well, thank you," he finally responded, figuring he should at least say something. It wasn't fair, it wasn't fair at all, but Alec couldn't do anything about it except work harder. That was what he was going to do, even though he knew that it would never be enough. "Just..." he sighed, running a hand through his hair as he looked to the other man. "Don't let it happen to you, too. Be careful, alright?"

He could see it now. Their father was bound to throw a grand party when they got back and Ella got better, to celebrate his daughters' safe return. And when Peter saw how pretty Ella looked in her fancy dress and when she wanted him to dance with her...well, men were weak. Alec knew from experience- the first time he'd spoken to Josephine at length had been at a party. He had been tending the guests' horses right outside the house, and he could remember the entire conversation like it had happened yesterday. It hadn't taken long after that, for him to fall head over heels in love with her.

But as much as he didn't want to admit it, things could work out differently for Peter than they had for him and Josephine. If he really did get a good job and worked hard at it, he could move up in the ranks of society quickly. Ella had more time than Josephine did, and if the two of them were to fall in love it might not be as outlandish of a match. It wasn't fair, and Alec couldn't bear to think about it right now. Much like Josephine, he didn't want to talk about it, and even if he did, a pirate would be far from his first choice. "I'm going to turn in," he said, fluffing up his pillows and pulling back the covers. He doubted he would sleep a wink, but he could try. "Goodnight, Peter."

The next morning, the first thing Ella saw when she awoke was her father's face smiling down at her. "Mmm, good morning," she said sleepily, smiling back at him. "You look happy."

"I am happy," he confirmed, tucking a piece of hair back behind her ear. "I think the fever's broken, darling. How do you feel?"

"Better, I think," Ella said. "Hungry."

"Good. Let's get you something to eat and then we'll decide if you're well enough to go home, okay?"

When Josephine woke up to the sound of her father and sister talking, she did feel a little bit better. It wasn't that she'd come to terms with what had happened, but she wasn't hurting as much. Probably because all she felt was numb now that the tears had fallen and she'd slept on it. She wasn't happy, though, and she probably wouldn't be for a long time.

When their father turned his back to go get them some food, Josephine moved closer to Ella, giving her a gentle hug. She was glad that despite all of their differences, they were close. Now that she couldn't take comfort in Alec's arms, at least she had her sister. She knew that whatever was to come, she would always be there for her, and likewise Josephine would always do her best to watch over Ella. "I'm glad you're feeling better," she whispered. Maybe now they could all go home. It would be a lot easier to avoid their father once she had plenty of rooms to hide in again, and she was looking forward to her first night back in her own bed.

When their father came back with a plate full of fresh food for each of them, Josephine sat up. She still didn't really want to eat, but she forced herself to anyway. Her body was already starved and she knew Alec would have told her she needed to take care of herself. She could feel her father's concerned stare at her, but she ignored him. It was his fault, anyway.

Peter looked at Alec for a long moment, digesting his words. He knew very well it could happen to him, and that was what scared him. He was a survivalist, a self-preservationist. That's why when he and Ella had kissed, he'd tried to protect himself by pushing her away after. He'd thought he'd also been protecting her. But he was finding out he wasn't that strong, and seeing her so hurt by something he had done proved that he was weaker than he thought. When she'd gotten sick, he'd caved. And now he was genuinely happy to be with her, but he'd also seen with his own eyes what could happen to two people who weren't supposed to be together. They were happy for a little while, but then they got burned.

He turned to stare up at the ceiling. "I'll try not to," he said simply, but now he wondered if it was inevitable. He had been given a new opportunity, another shot at life so much greater than anything he'd previously imagined, but if the truth ever came out it would shatter that future. Would it be possible to hide that part of himself forever? He was still holding onto things he'd done as a boy, things he'd regretted before he'd been a pirate. They had yet to see whether he could learn to move on and truly separate himself from his past and become a new, better person.

Those thoughts occupied his mind for a while until he fell asleep. When he woke up, it was before Alec for once. He wasn't sure whether to wake him, but decided he'd let him get up on his own after he'd had a night like last once. He cleaned up a little bit before knocking on the girls' door. Their father answered with a warm smile.

"Peter," he said. "Good morning."

"Morning, sir," he said. "How's Ella this morning? May I come in?" He wanted to check in on her for himself.

Ella looked to her side when Josephine stirred next to her, smiling slightly at her words. They would all feel better once they went home, Ella was sure of it, although she knew that it would take Josephine quite some time to heal from what happened last night.

When their father returned with breakfast, Ella pulled herself up to a sitting position and leaned against the headboard, slowly eating her food. She could eat it, so there was definitely improvement although she wasn't able to finish the entire plate. She turned her head when there was a knock at the door, perking up slightly when she heard Peter's voice. Father seemed to like Peter, but that wasn't surprising. He would have liked Alec just as much if he hadn't been secretly seeing his daughter for the past almost two years. Actually, he didn't know that it had been going on that long.

"Her fever broke during the night," their father responded to Peter, clearly feeling relieved. "I'm hoping she'll be well enough to travel today." It was a day's journey, and it wasn't the end of the world if Ella was a little uncomfortable if it meant getting them home sooner, but if her fever spiked on the road and there was nowhere to take her then that would be a problem. She was eating and sitting up, though, and with four people to help take care of her she would be fine as long as they made sure she was comfortable.

He opened the door to let Peter in, and Ella gave a cheery wave when she saw him in the doorway. "Good morning," she said. "Did you sleep well?" Looking to her father, she asked, "Do you think we can go home today?"

"I think so, sweetheart," he told her fondly, tucking her tangled hair back again. "Probably. We'll see if Josie can help get you ready, and I'll see about renting a bigger carriage."

In the other room, Alec woke up much later, and when he did he felt like he'd been trampled by a stampede. His body felt so heavy, and everything was sore. For a moment he was worried he was coming down with typhoid as well, but he realized quickly that wasn't the case. It was just the result of last night.

He sat up slowly, leaning over and putting his head in his hands. He needed a drink, but he wouldn't get one. Not this early in the day. With a sigh he managed to pull himself up and go get some breakfast, now that his money was his to spend. He almost considered not eating at all and saving it, but then he remembered how he'd chastised Josephine for not taking care of herself, and he couldn't be hypocritical. Besides, he was starving.

Alec returned to the room to eat by himself; Peter was probably in the other room with the girls, but Alec doubted that his presence would be welcome there.

Peter couldn't help the smile on his face when he saw Ella wave at him. She seemed to have more energy today, and she looked a lot better physically too. No doubt she would still need a few days to recover, but at least she was getting better and not worse. He believed they probably had little reason to worry about her anymore, and that she would probably make a full recovery.

"Like a baby," he told her, stepping into the room. He hovered around the end of the bed. "I'm glad you're feeling better. It's about time." He smiled warmly to her, and had to urge to go and hold her hand for a while, but he refrained from doing so in front of their father. He'd fallen in favor, he did not want to fall out of it so quickly.

"Are you feeling any better, Josephine?" he asked hesitantly. Not that she spoke much to him anyway, but she was silent and more reserved than usual. It was not hard to know why. He was still trying to win her over, and perhaps by showing a little bit of sympathy for her and Alec, he might eventually get there.

Josephine had been disappointed when she heard the knock only to see Peter and not Alec. Of course Alec wouldn't be at the door, and he would probably not be entirely welcomed anyway. She didn't blame him, but she had still hoped she might get to see his face. To Peter, she shook her head. "No," she said, looking up at her father when she said her next words. She was bitter about it and she had no problems with letting him know. "I'd rather be dead, thanks for asking..."

Her father frowned at her. "Josie, mind your mouth and stop being so dramatic." He knew she was upset with him, but it wasn't going to change his mind. He was sure he was doing what was best for her, and she'd get over it soon enough. In the meantime, he wasn't going to tolerate any attitude from her.

"Come, Peter," he said, turning his attention away from his daughters. "Let's give the girls some privacy to get ready."

The girls' father went to go see about a bigger carriage, and Peter retreated back to his and Alec's room for now while they waited. He was glad to see that Alec had gotten up, though he looked less than his best. Peter supposed that's what stress and heartbreak did to a person, and Alec had been working very hard lately on top of everything else.

"Morning," he nodded. "Ella's doing a bit better. We'll probably be leaving today," he informed him.

Ella returned Peter's smile. It almost felt like they both wanted to have a little moment; Ella would have liked to give him a hug, at least. But they both knew that it was a bad idea to express any physical affection in front of her father. Especially after what had just happened with Josephine and Alec. However, there was nothing wrong with being friends yet. "Father says we can hopefully go home today," she said proudly, as if it was some sort of personal accomplishment.

"Only if you finish all of that food," her father countered, smiling at his daughter adoringly. Ella was so much like her mother. He couldn't bear the thought of her escaping that goddamn pirate ship only to end up sick in bed for days. He loved his daughters equally, but Josephine was more like himself and had always been more mature. Ella was the baby of the family.

Ella glanced at her sister, frowning at Josephine's words. That was no way to look at it, but she understood that Josephine was upset. She had every right to be. What Father had done was unfair; he had no idea how much the two of them cared for each other, and Ella knew that Alec would do anything he had to in order to win their father's favor. But he had passed his judgment without even giving it a chance. Still, she didn't like Josephine's statement, and she grabbed onto her sister's arm to give her a hug. She had refrained from saying anything to Father, and she wasn't sure if she would, but she would be there for Josephine.

When the men had left the room, Ella slowly pulled back the covers, wanting to put her new, clean dress on. She definitely wouldn't need the corset, but that was just as well. They weren't comfortable. She was able to change without standing up, so it wasn't very hard. She wished that she could wear the nightgown all the way home, but that would be far from appropriate.

Alec looked up when Peter reentered. "Morning," he responded. If Ella was feeling better, that was good news. He wasn't sure how much a day long carriage ride was going to be for any of them, but it would have to be done. "Good," he nodded. "It's high time they both got home."

The girls' father returned a half an hour later, having sent his personal carriage home and acquired a bigger one that could accommodate the five of them, with extra room for Ella. He'd also bought a warm blanket for her to use on the way, and some food that they could take with them. He didn't want to make any lengthy stops. When he returned to the room he examined Ella one more time, deciding that she was well enough to travel, though he insisted on carrying her out to the carriage. Once Ella was comfortably situated with Josephine, he went to knock on Alec and Peter's door.

Once in the carriage, Josephine laced her hand with Ella's, knowing she was going to need to support when father returned with the men. She had no idea how she was going to manage a full day's ride across from him knowing she wasn't permitted to see him anymore. It would feel like torture. Much worse than when they'd been keeping it a secret. She didn't have any more secret meetings to look forward to. Her father would be watching her closely now, and no doubt he would tell the servants to do the same.

It didn't take long after that for them to hit the road. Their father sat himself next to Ella, where he could easily attend to her should he need it, and Peter and Alec were situated across from them. Peter was glad to see Ella in a clean dress, where she looked much more like the lady he knew she was supposed to be. Though, he did notice she was without her corset again, and he couldn't help but smile at that. He wondered if that was an old habit of hers that refused to die, or maybe she was simply more comfortable without it while she was not feeling well.

When Alec got on, Josephine did look up at him. She wanted to see how he was faring. She could see in his face how exhausted he was, both physically and mentally, and she felt her heart break even more. He'd put in so much effort to keep them safe... it didn't seem right they couldn't celebrate together how all of his work had paid off. She ended up holding eye contact with him for several long moments, but she eventually looked away. It hurt too much.

The carriage ride after that was long, but Peter took it upon himself to help pass the time. He took out one of the books he'd bought for Ella and started to read it out loud for everyone. Many of the tales he'd read for Ella earlier were repeated, but he knew that she would probably enjoy them just as much the second time around. He'd nearly finished the book by the time they'd reached the girls' home. By then he'd put it down to glance out the window of the approaching house. Alec had not been exaggerating when he'd said it was a mansion. Peter was in awe, for he'd never seen an estate so large before.

"You live here?" he asked in disbelief, looking towards Ella and her father. This was the place they'd offered him a room in? It was a hundred times larger than the captain's cabin. He started to imagine getting lost in it's many halls.

Ella leaned her head on Josephine's shoulder, partially to try and offer some sort of comfort to her sister and partly because she was still tired. It was probably going to be an uncomfortable ride on a number of accounts, but by this time tomorrow she would be waking up safe and sound and comfortable in her own bed, in her own room, with her sister and her father and Peter right down the hall. That was worth it.

Alec stepped onto the carriage and looked at Josephine briefly, though his eyes did not linger quite as long as hers did. His heart ached, and it killed him to not be able to go and sit next to her and put his arm around her shoulders. Instead he sat next to Peter, leaning against the wall of the carriage and looking out the window. Alec hated riding in carriages. He much preferred to ride, and he almost thought about riding up front with the coachmen, but Josephine would probably take that the wrong way. He was happy to see her, and she looked much better in a clean dress, but it was almost more torturous to be forced to see something you couldn't have than to never see it at all. The heartbreak was still too near for that.

For Alec, the ride was a hard one. It was for Ella too, but Peter's reading helped a lot. After a while their father sat next to Peter, to give Ella some room to lay down on the other seat. She pulled the blanket over herself and lay her head on Josephine's lap, dozing every so often, but the sound of Peter's voice was warm and soothing. She could probably listen to him talk all day, and she loved the stories he told. She recognized some of them, but she had been so out of it the other night that most of them registered as being new, and his reading made the time fly by.

When they finally reached home, Ella sat up and nearly burst into tears at the sight of their home. To Peter and Alec, it probably looked like a huge, grandiose place that no one could possibly live in, but to the other three passengers in the carriage, it was home. She looked to Peter and smiled widely, nodding.

"Yes," she confirmed. "Father, may I show Peter around?"

"There will be time for a full tour tomorrow," he responded, smiling at her. "If you're feeling up to it. For tonight, I want you and your sister to get some dinner, clean up and then rest. Alec, would you mind taking care of the horses before they return tomorrow morning?"

Alec looked up from the window, where he'd been staring more or less all day, and nodded. "Of course, sir." In light of everything that had happened, Alec was at least glad to be returning to his horses. It was calming, taking care of them, and he had missed them while he was at sea. If he had time maybe he would go for a ride tomorrow.

"And Peter," their father said, turning to the other man. "If you're feeling up to it, I'll take you into town tomorrow and we'll see about having some new clothes made. How does that sound?"

Peter wondered how much it cost to keep a place this large and this grand running smoothly. It may have only been the three of them and a few servants living there, but they must also house guests all the time, or throw parties. He could already see that there were many finely trimmed shrubs, trees, and flowers throughout the front. No doubt there were plenty more in the back. Keeping the grounds kept and the many rooms just dusted must be a difficult job. It was nothing like he had ever imagined, and he had never thought he'd be sleeping within the halls of a place like this.

He would have loved a tour. But, as their father said, it was getting late. And Ella still needed to focus on getting better. "I'll be looking forward to it," he said to Ella. He could imagine a detailed tour of their house and all the rooms would take the better half of a day, but he was curious to see where Ella had grown up. It was so different from anything he was used to.

He looked to their father when he offered to get him some clothes made. That in itself was beyond anything he could have hoped for. Peter had been wearing the same clothes since long before they'd departed the ship. He didn't have very many changes of clothes, and he hadn't taken any with him when he left either. "That sounds wonderful, sir. Thank you."

Josephine frowned. She hadn't been aware that Peter was staying with them, and now father had offered to buy him clothes. He hadn't offered Alec anything except some orders that prohibited them from seeing each other and to put away the horses, and Alec had done just as much as Peter had to help them. It wasn't fair and set uneasily in her stomach, but she didn't say anything. For Ella's sake.

She was glad to be home though. There was something comforting about the familiarity and knowing she wouldn't need to worry about strange men anymore. She was still upset about Alec, of course, and it would be difficult knowing he was near but unreachable, but at least she could have her privacy when she needed it, clean clothes, warm food, and hot baths. And Ella was getting better too, so at least some of her worries there were also being eased.

When they filed out of the carriage and their father, Ella, and Peter started their way up the path to the steps of the house, Josephine lingered. It didn't feel right just walking away from Alec without a word. She just didn't know what to say to him to make any of this better. She didn't think there was anything she could say, so she ended up just staring at him with a pained expression before eventually their father noticed she wasn't following.

"Josie," he called, and she looked over her shoulder to her father before back at Alec.

"I'm sorry..." she mumbled, before she turned around and followed the others.

Ella beamed at Peter, looking forward to giving him the tour tomorrow. She was exhausted, and it was probably best that they didn't do it now, but she hoped that she would feel well enough for it tomorrow. Her smile only widened when her father offered to take Peter into town; she thought that he deserved to be pampered a little bit, and he probably hadn't had any new clothes in forever. He didn't have anything save for what he was wearing, and he would need some proper clothes if he was going to start his new life.

"I want to come to town too," Ella piped up. She wanted to experience everything with Peter- she was sure that he'd never been measured for a custom tailored suit before, and she wanted to see his reactions to everything. She had been thoroughly introduced to his world, mermaids and all, and she was excited to introduce him to hers.

"Ella," their father chuckled, shaking his head at his enthusiastic daughter. "You need to rest. I want you to take it easy for the next couple of days. I'll take you into town next week, if you still want to go." Looking at the girls, he could tell that both of them might need some new dresses. Both Ella and Josephine had lost quite a bit of weight, and while he was certain that they would gain it back relatively quickly, it might be a good idea to get a few things made quickly.

Ella was so excited to sleep in her own bed again. She stepped out of the carriage and, which her father's support, climbed the stairs to go inside. Alec stepped out of the carriage as well, moving around to the front of it to assess the horses. He glanced at Josephine and made eye contact with her for a second, but he didn't want to risk anything, so all he did was offer her the slightest of smiles before sitting next to the driver and directing him towards the stables. Once there, he spent the rest of the evening tending the horses. He didn't feel well. He was incredibly jealous of Peter and his favorable situation, and he was heartbroken about Josephine. But, if he wanted to keep his job and make enough money to do what he'd promised her, he had to have a good attitude. Maybe once her father wasn't as upset about them going behind his back he would have a change of heart.

The girls were greeted enthusiastically by the servants inside the mansion, and all Ella could think about was how good it was to be home. She'd had enough adventure for a little while; now she wanted to be home. It was a celebratory frenzy as one of the servants showed Peter to a guest room while Ella immediately requested a bath. It felt so good to have hot water, and a soft silk nightgown of her own. One of the servants came to brush out her hair and help her slip into a chiffon robe that tied around her waist. It was amazing how much better she felt after a warm bath, and how much more like herself she felt in her own clothes. Maybe it was just the excitement from being home, but Ella almost felt completely better.

The servant braided her hair for her, and at Ella's request, delivered two cups full of hot tea and directed her to Peter's room. She planned on paying a visit to Josephine as well, but she thought that her sister might appreciate a little bit more alone time. Josephine needed space, and Ella knew that she wouldn't want to talk until she'd gotten it.

She knocked on the door, eager to see how he was settling in. "Peter?" she called so that he would know it was her. "Can I come in? I have tea."

Peter grinned at Ella's enthusiasm. To him it meant she really was starting to feel better, so he took it as a good sign. Though he did agree with their father she should take it easy if she didn't want to risk relapsing. "Maybe you can give me a tour of your favorite places in town after you're well again," he suggested. If he was going to be going into town tomorrow with their father, he was sure the man would at least point out some important places. It would be nice to see what Ella had to say about it all, though, when the right time came.

To Josephine, being surrounded by the handful of servants was almost overwhelming when all she really wanted was to be alone. However, she let them do her job, and frankly she had missed some of them. The girls were lucky enough to have a select few staff responsible for doting on them, and although they were paid company, Josephine liked to think they were friends. At the very least, they were friendly faces. So, she let them tend to her, drawing her bath and taking her old clothes to be cleaned, laying out a fresh clean night gown for her to sleep in. And when she was finally alone, she found herself sinking into the hot water and thinking about how surreal it felt to be back. It felt nice, but also hardly the same. She wasn't as happy as she expected to be.

Peter was also overwhelmed. The sights, the size of the place, even the smells were like nothing he'd ever known. It didn't smell like the sea here. He'd always grown up around water, but their estate was situated, as far as he knew, too far from the ocean to smell the salt or feel the ocean breezes. He could smell the sweetness of the flowers in the garden though, and that was rather nice too.

The inside of their estate was just as breathtaking and unfamiliar. He marveled at the staircase and the tall ceilings. It seemed like their voices carried far with how open and large the rooms and hallways were. When one of the servants first showed him his room, he couldn't believe the size of it. Even the bed had to be at least half as big as the captain's quarters on the ship.

They filled up a bath for him and brought him a night shirt and some trousers to borrow for the evening, and he couldn't stop wandering at it all the whole time he spent scrubbing the dirt off. Even when Ella came knocking at his door, he was noticing small details he'd never noticed before that made this place seem all the more luxurious. Silver doorknobs, he thought to himself as he opened the door.

He even marveled at Ella when he saw her. It wasn't even that she was coming to him in a robe, or that she looked much cleaner and nicer in her robe than she had throughout all of their travels, but the material of the robe itself looked more expensive than anything he'd ever owned. And tea. Lord, he couldn't remember the last time he'd had tea.

"I'm so used to rum and wine," he admitted, taking a cup from her and letting her in. "I can't believe this is where you live."

Ella liked Peter's idea. She could only imagine how much fun they were going to have together, once she was feeling completely better. Hopefully he wouldn't be working so much that she wouldn't be able to see him. That would be disappointing. Ella didn't have many friends; any friends that she did have lived in town. Their mansion wasn't far from town, but it was far enough to prevent them from going every day. It was a good thing there was plenty to do around here.

She was also happy when Peter opened the door. It almost felt strange to be walking on her own two feet after several days of doing nothing but lay in bed, but thankfully she felt steady and much stronger than she had recently. It was probably the excitement, and tomorrow Ella expected that she would be exhausted. But now, she didn't want to sleep. "You look nice," she commented with a smile. He looked clean, much cleaner than she'd ever seen him before, and he had finally gotten a change of clothes. She had to admit, he looked a little bit out of place, but she didn't think it would be hard to get used to.

After handing him his cup of tea, she slipped into the room and made herself comfortable in an armchair in the corner. The room was a decent size, complete with a small sitting area and a coffee table. She took a sip of her drink, smirking a little. "Father collects wine," she told Peter. "He has hundreds of bottles down in the cellar that he only brings up for special occasions. I think some of them are very expensive." So expensive that he hadn't found a good enough reason to open many of them yet. Ella was sure he'd sold a large part of his wine collection, trying to earn enough money for the ransom, but there was probably still some down there.

"Well, the pirates didn't choose us for no reason, right? This house has belonged to our family for generations," she said, looking about the room. She couldn't help but smile, having to remind herself yet again that she was really, truly home. "I can hardly believe we're back. For a while I didn't think we were ever coming home. Do you like it?" He said he couldn't believe that this was where they lived, but he didn't say whether he liked it or not. She took another sip of her tea, thinking about everything. It was overwhelming, how much had happened in the past couple of weeks.

Strangely enough, her mind went to Alec. She felt bad that he was out in the stables, already back at work while she was enjoying a cup of tea with Peter and Josephine was probably taking her bath. It really wasn't fair. Maybe, if Father was in a good mood tomorrow, she would emphasize how much he had done for them and suggest that he offer Alec more of a reward. It seemed like the right thing to do, and she was sure it would make Josephine feel better as well.

Peter looked down at his outfit. They felt more comfortable than anything he'd ever worn, but he did feel rather funny in them. It was hard to imagine himself in fancy clothes after years of rough cotton shirts and loose trousers, and these were just the clothes he'd been given to sleep in. When they went to get him some clothes tomorrow, it was going to be an interesting experience. He wondered if their father would get him some decent work clothes made, or if he'd invest in something more dignified. He wasn't sure he really deserved either, and he'd probably look foolish in them with his long and unkempt hair. You could take a man off of a pirate ship, but you couldn't take the pirate out of a man. At least he could try.

He smiled to her. "As do you," he commented. Peter thought she always looked nice regardless. Something about the two sisters was that even when they were dirty, their hair tangled, and in Ella's case, ill, they somehow always managed to radiate beauty and dignity. It was a natural talent Peter assumed just came from being a woman and a wealthy one at that.

He sat in one of the chairs opposite to her when she explained about her father's wine collection while he sipped on the tea curiously. It had been a long time since he'd tasted the hot beverage. The ship mostly just carried water, and when that got stale, they turned to the liquor. He'd only been a boy when he'd had his first taste of wine. To think there was a whole cellar of it down underneath them... "Everything here seems expensive," he suggested. On the ship it had almost been hard to forget how wealthy the girls really were, despite their supposed financial decline. Anything that seemed affordable to them would seem outlandish to him.

When she asked him whether he liked it, he wasn't sure. It was just simply different. He had never seen a place like this before, and the question was an unexpectedly complicated one. On the one hand, it was breathtaking. On the other, when you grew up on the other side of things, it only reminded you of all the things you couldn't have. "It's a beautiful home," he said truthfully. But it wasn't the sea. He craved the motion of the waves underneath him and he didn't get that here. "I just don't think I'll fit in very well." He wasn't a very materialistic person. Sure, these things were nice and he wouldn't mind experiencing them, but he longed for other things and he was nervous about the people. Ella was wonderful, and their father didn't seem that bad, but he'd encountered other wealthy people before. Josephine already looked down on him because she knew who he really was.

"Thank you," Ella chirped, swishing the skirt of her nightgown. Ella wouldn't call herself materialistic either, but she did know a thing or two about nice clothes and luxurious lifestyles. It wasn't her fault, and there was nothing wrong with that; it was just the way that she had been raised. And Ella did like pretty things, even if she didn't like wearing them correctly.

At his comment about everything being expensive, Ella only shrugged. She wasn't sure what to say to that. "Probably not an...inaccurate observation," she finally admitted. She didn't know why, but for some reason she was feeling a little bit guilty. There was nothing wrong with having money or expensive things, but she knew that it wasn't what Peter was used to, and sometimes the poor could be just as judgmental as the wealthy. Was he going to start thinking of her differently now? Ella didn't want Peter to see her as a stupid, spoiled little rich girl who cared more about what kind of lace was on her nightgown than she did about anything else.

Ella pursed her lips at his response, not quite sure how to interpret that. He didn't like it? "Well, fitting in is overrated, you know," she countered, trying to steer the conversation in a different direction. A smile tugged on the corners of her lips as she sipped on her tea, finishing it off and setting it aside. "I've never really fit in. I'm too silly, but who's gonna do anything about it?" Ella had no problem with it, but she had never exactly fit in with high society. She wanted experiences, adventures. She wasn't content sitting in the parlor, having tea parties and gossiping. Neither she nor Josephine were really like that, although Ella had a hard time sitting still for even ten minutes.

"But you know..." she said thoughtfully, tugging on her braid, "I wouldn't think like that if I were you anyways. You should just go after what you want, and don't worry about anything else. Don't worry about fitting in, or impressing my father, or anything like that if that's not what you want to do." She crossed her legs, tilting her head and thinking. "What do you want?" she asked him suddenly. She knew that he was getting his fresh start, but she wasn't sure what he was hoping to get out of it.

Peter could recognize Ella as a rare gem among the few in the upper classes. He didn't know many wealthy people personally. In that regard, it was pretty much limited to this family. But he had encountered them, and his general impression was that they were mostly stuffy, boring, pretentious, and greedy. He didn't get that from Ella. She may be wealthy, but she had been one of the few people in his life to make a positive impression on him. He felt something for her, and he got the sense that she felt it too. Any other woman of her status would have never bothered getting this close to him, and if she hadn't shown to him how adventurous and silly, as she put it, she was to him he doubted he would have bothered either.

"I like how silly you are," he mentioned, returning her smile before sipping some more on the tea. "But you're also impossible not to like. You're cheerful, kind, and beautiful. I think even people of your class can appreciate that, no?" Peter didn't feel like he had anything about him that qualified for a life like hers, nor was he worthy of it. He didn't look the part. He had long hair, tanned skin from days out in the sun, and it was rare that he was ever clean shaven or without a small layer of sweat or dirt. Everything you would ever expect from a pirate. He also didn't particularly think he was honorable, even if he was trying to change that. And, much like Ella, he hated sitting still for long. Sitting around a table talking about politics or money seemed like torture.

"And I sort of have to impress your father," he pointed out. "He's the one letting me stay here, the one helping me find a way to get on my feet. Having his favor is also the only way I get to see you." He didn't want what happened to Josephine and Alec to happen to them. Even if they hadn't been in love for nearly two years, and even though they were still in the beginning stages of what could be a romance, if he even just wanted to be friends with her he had to make sure their father saw him as a good man.

Knowing what he wanted was hard to put into words though. He'd lived as a pirate for so long it was hard to separate that identity from himself long enough to consider other futures. "I'm not quite sure yet," he admitted. "I suppose I just want to be... comfortable. Maybe find a small home by the ocean like the one I grew up in... nothing fancy. If I could afford it, I'd still like to travel and see parts of the world I've never seen before." He paused for a moment, thinking. "You," he added. He wasn't sure in what context or capacity, but it was her doing that he even had a shot at life beyond the pirate one. She had to be a part of his life somehow.

"What do you want?" he asked her. He knew they'd had this conversation before, a long time ago, before they'd solidified a friendship. He wondered if she still believed she would have to marry some man she didn't love, or if he had encouraged her to think beyond what was expected of her.

Ella giggled, shaking her head at him. She couldn't even begin the number of times she'd been criticized by her father or Josephine or by other members of her extended family for not behaving or not growing up. She remembered the first couple of days of their captivity where she'd refused to wear her dress and how Josephine had given her a hard time about it; it was almost funny to look back on that now. She smiled at Peter's compliments, feeling a little flutter in her stomach. He'd implied it, but he'd never called her beautiful before. "I don't know," she shrugged. "I guess. Depends on the person, depends on the event." She didn't have any rich friends, but then again Josephine really didn't either. They were definitely each other's best friends.

She didn't really think that he had to work too hard to impress her father, though. "But you've already impressed him," she pointed out. "He said himself, he thinks you're a fine man. All you really have to do is make sure that he doesn't change his mind. But you are a fine man, so I don't think that'll be a problem. There's really not much you could do that would make him think of you differently." She wasn't sure whether them becoming romantically involved with each other would or not, but somehow she didn't really think so. As long as they didn't try and go behind his back...but Ella wasn't sure how she and Peter were defining their relationship right now.

They'd established that the kiss wasn't a mistake, and Peter had even admitted to wanting to do it again. They were both attracted to each other, and she liked holding his hand and being with him. Ella liked thinking of him romantically, though. He was handsome, and smart, and did the right thing when no one else would, even if he knew it would cost him. He was a good man, and no one could convince her differently.

His description of what he wanted sounded nice, and she could definitely picture him living that kind of a life. Ella shared his dream of traveling, though she imagined that he'd already seen more places than she would ever see in her lifetime. She smiled, listening to him, until he said that he wanted her, too. Ella's heart skipped a beat and her lips parted in surprise. What did he mean by that? She didn't want to read into it too much, but it was hard not to.

It was a little hard to focus on answering his question after that, but she tried to. Even without what he'd just said distracting her, it was a difficult question. Ella didn't like thinking about what she wanted, because she knew that her dreams were far from realistic for a girl like her. "I don't know," she said thoughtfully. "It's easier to say what I don't want. I don't want to stay in one place for the rest of my life raising children, that's for sure. I know that's probably what I'm going to get, but I don't want that. I guess I want...the kind of life that gives me the freedom to do things, whatever that looks like. I don't want to be tied down to anything, I want to travel and learn and experience new things. And...you," she added shyly, copying him. Her heart was beating fast. She had no idea what he was thinking.

Peter thought about what it would take for Ella's father to not see him favorably. Despite what Ella said, he couldn't help but feel like the only reason her father liked him was because he didn't really know him. If he ever figured out where he came from, then it would be the end of this. Everything he was getting in the meantime he was only getting because he was lying by omission. Peter still wasn't entirely comfortable with that, but he also didn't know that the alternative was much better. "Except him finding out I'm a pirate," he said.

He liked hearing Ella say that she thought he was a fine man, though. He still thought it was a bit misguided, but that was mostly his own insecurities talking. Part of what he had to work on now with his fresh start was moving on from his past and learning to let things go. He had to accept his past in order to move on into the future, but if one person had faith in him, then he knew he could get there eventually too.

He listened to her response to his question carefully. It was everything he had expected her to say for the most part. It fit with her personality. She was a free spirit like him. They hated being tied down, they liked the taste of adventure and travels. As a man he had more freedom not to marry, but he also didn't think that because she was a woman she had to conform to all of those expectations either. He couldn't picture her with a husband and kids anymore than he could picture himself with a wife. He wondered why she was still clinging onto that idea that she would end up with those things even though she didn't want it.

The corners of his mouth turned up slowly when she mentioned that she wanted him as part of her future as well. "Then maybe we can try to learn and have as many new experiences as we can together," he suggested, feeling an invisible string tugging on him to go nearer to her. He wanted to. There was a brief moment where he imagined what it would be like to kiss her again, but whatever reason, he remained in his seat, just locking his eyes onto hers with only the thought of it. Somehow he was lacking the courage he'd had that night when they'd been drinking together, and he was also slightly paranoid about their father walking in on them after what had happened with Alec and Josephine. It was only the first night here, and he wanted to be careful not to provoke the man after everything he was willing to offer him.

He tore his eyes away from her to take the last few sips of his tea, and when he looked back up at her, he stood, offering her his hand. "You should probably get some rest," he suggested. "I'm glad you're feeling better, but I don't want you to over exert yourself too soon. You'll need your energy for the tour tomorrow, after all." He grinned, truly looking forward to spending more time with her.

Ella shrugged. There was some truth to that, she supposed. "Well, he's not going to find that out," she assured him. "And without that label attached to you, there's nothing you could do. You saved his only two children from sexual assault, torture, slavery...possibly our lives. None of us can ever thank you enough." Ella meant every word. Without Peter, neither she nor Josephine would have ever returned home. He was, in Ella's opinion, the primary reason they had come home and could sit in this bedroom drinking tea.

She smiled at his idea, nodding enthusiastically. Already, her mind started to wander, imagining all the things they could do together. "Your week is going to be full of new experiences," she promised. Maybe not what he had in mind, but still. He would be getting a taste of luxury that Ella was already accustomed to, but she was sure there were many more adventures they could have together. "Do you know how to ride?" she asked him. "I'm not very good, but we could go riding, maybe. If you want."

Ella gazed into his eyes, the same thought coming to her. She wanted to know what it would be like to kiss him while she was sober, and if she was sitting next to him already then she would have. Would it be better? Ella had no knowledge in the romance department, but just like with everything else, she wanted to learn and experience it with Peter. She wanted to ask him what he was thinking about, what was going through his mind, but nerves kept her from saying anything. There was an obvious tension between them that Ella was sure they both could sense.

She took his hand and stood up, smoothing out her nightgown. "Yes, your grand tour," she confirmed. Truth be told she was still feeling a little strange, but she was much, much better than before. "I'm looking forward to it."

For a moment, she just stood there, not turning or moving towards the door and leaving her hand in his. She didn't want to leave, and she felt herself being drawn nearer and nearer to him. Briefly she glanced towards the door, but it was still shut and there was no noise coming from outside. "Well," she said, turning back to him with a shy smile, "aren't you going to kiss me goodnight?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back