Opinion Cats Or Dogs?

Cats Or Dogs?

• Total voters

NightshadeCupcakes

Nights Delachord
I want to see like actual valid reasons as to why you prefer cats or dogs, not just hating on either.

I, for example, prefer cats after being attacked by a farm dog as a kid.

Like legit, I'm so curious as to why people REALLY prefer cats or dogs

I love dogs more because they're more willing to show instant love, rather than love you have to work up towards. Of course, there are some really kind and caring cats that will love on you immediately... But it's less likely to happen, in my opinion.

Actually, more to the point... Dogs are high energy loving fluffers while cats are low eneregy loving fluffers. I prefer high energy, honestly, because I'd love to just come home to a dog that practically sprains their tail with tail wags as they flop on the floor and wriggle around so I can give the roughest belly rubs I can. You can't exactly do that with a cat.

I also find that when I love something... I love it really, really, really intensely. Much like a dog, lolol.

And to the point against cats: I just can't really interact with them well. I've had many instances of being clawed up by kittens, and I'm sorry, but it just ain't fun to have them latch onto your shirt, cause then you have to pry their tiny claws away with your hands, which are also likely to be scratched in the process.

I like cats. I do. But dogs are more my thing.

Cats are not really affectionate. Unless you get like a Russian Blue or other friendly cat breed.

Dogs, on the other hand, are more trusting and friendly. They love you unconditionally and I’ve always been around dogs so developed a fondness for them.

I don't mind either cats or dogs, but I prefer dogs because, while I grew up with both, I was around dogs more often. I had a Schnauzer for sometime, as well an Australian Shepard/Black Lab mix later on. My grandparents had four Huskies, then two Yorkies, and now two dogs (I can't remember their breeds right now) they rescued from local shelters. My mother's boyfriend has a Corgi, and her best friend (and our family friend) once had a huge Great Dane.
And to the point against cats: I just can't really interact with them well. I've had many instances of being clawed up by kittens, and I'm sorry, but it just ain't fun to have them latch onto your shirt, cause then you have to pry their tiny claws away with your hands, which are also likely to be scratched in the process.

This too. I've been nipped at and scratched by hyper dogs or whenever they want to play fight/rough house, but cat claws are much, much worse. They're always needle sharp rather than dull like a dog's, and so their claws are like little daggers digging into your clothes or skin.

I like both (which is actually what I put as my answer to your poll), but to be honest I like dogs more.
It's mostly because I grew up with a dog, and we got another two after he died, but it's also because they tend to be kinder. That's not to say that cats can't be kind, but generally dogs are more social, which can come off as them being kinder.
They also have a large variety in breeds, but unlike cats each dog breed is for a specific discipline or job. For example, Collies and Anatolian Shepherds were bred mostly for herding livestock. With cats I feel like it's mostly an aesthetic thing. Which isn't bad, but I like dogs because they were bred for specific things and not always because specific coats looked prettier.
But, I've also never owned a cat in my life. I've always wanted to, but my dad is allergic and absolutely hates cats. So we'll see what happens when I move out and get my own cat.

i'd say cats! (i've got one myself, he's my lil baby boy) but my parents have a dog and she's the sweetest lil girl in the world. but if i really had to choose, i'd say cats. reason being is (gonna attempt to give an unbiased opinion here) because i've just... i'm a massive introvert, i'd much rather prefer to stay inside and be by myself, and cats are pretty much the same. communal chilling hours.

I like both, but I like cats more. Dogs are usually very high energy and that makes me reeeeaaalllyy nervous. I’m a lot better with them now, but I’m still not entirely comfortable near them. I’ve grown up with cats my entire life (No, really, my parents tell me stories of pulling our old cat’s fur as a wee Erin.) on the other hand, so I’m a lot more comfortable with them.

I like both cats and dogs, but I definitely prefer cats. They're quite cuddly, but self-sufficient, which helps as I am a very busy person. Dogs are nice, but I just don't have enough time to take care for them to the degree I can with cats.

Honestly, I was scared of cats since I was a kid. I had mostly dogs around me, and I feel comfortable with dogs as they're very energetic. Dogs, to me, are companions that really lift a persons spirits up by just being in the room. We can also lift dogs spirits up by giving them our love.

Now, I'm not scared of cats at all, and have been around them for a while. They're very different from a dog, but they do have their similarities. I voted for dog since they're the companion I've been around the most for the longest time, but nowadays cats are on par with dogs to me!

They're both lovely, but I'd have to say that I prefer dogs over cats. I'm unfortunately very much obsessed with cuddling floofballs. My dogs appreciate it. My cousin's cat doesn't. Of course not all dogs and cats follow the same formula, but I've just found that dogs tend to be more social and energetic as a whole.

Both. They're both amazing at snuggling. I'm literally happy with any furry weight on or nearby my body as I'm snoozing the night away. And now that it's getting to be colder outside (in my part of the world. Lucky you who are in Australia and South America lol) the extra body warmth is a great addition.

So, I love both, but definitely lean more towards cats after a golden retriever excitedly jumped up to greet me as a teen and gave me a scar on my chest. I understand the dog did not intend to hurt me, but now I'm terrified of dogs medium to big dogs jumping up to greet me. I still love small lap dogs to death, though, and while corgis become more of medium dogs as adults, I still really want one when I have my own place and a backyard for it to run around in. I will definitely end up getting two cats before I ever get a dog, though, and I won't really be able to gt a dog until I'm really settled and can be around the dog a lot. It kinda frustrates me how dependent dogs are because I'm not always at home.

If I had to choose, I would choose cats. I've raised dogs my entire life, but I currently have two cats.

Cats are easier for me to handle. I have a busier schedule than I used to, and I like that I don't have to go through vigorous training anymore. Also, my two cats don't need a ton of attention, they come to me when they want cuddles and head scratches, and then continue with their daily schedules. I still give them as much attention and exercise as I can, but they aren't on the same level of neediness as most dogs. The only down side is litterboxes.

I love dogs, don't get me wrong. I'd take one in if I had the extra money and time to take care of it, but I currently don't.

CATS

I don't have to take it out in the rain, snow, heat, cold, for it to go the bathroom.
They are not needy codependent freaks. If I am sick, in a bad mood, I can feed them and clean their litter box and be done with them.
They are small. Small dogs are incredibly annoying.

I have nothing against cats! I've met some sweeties, but I've also met a demon in my friend's Siamese who hated me because I took attention away from him that his mommy could have been giving. He'd act all sweet toward me when she was in the room or watching him, but the moment she left to go to the bathroom or whatever, he would immediately start attacking me like I was a scratching post that had insulted his honor. My legs always bled any time I came over to her house.

He also figured out how to open her bedroom door when we had sleepovers, which was the creepiest damn thing. Lying there in the dark and hearing the door creak open in the middle of the night. Guess who he would run to attack the moment he came inside? We had to make absolutely no sound so he wouldn't catch on that we were in her room after tricking him outside because her door didn't have a stinking lock.

On top of all that, I'm allergic to cats, so I've never had one of my own to allow for any sort of bias. It's always been dogs (though I've since become allergic to those, too. Think that will stop me from loving my Scooby? Heck no. I'll suffer for him). I grew up with them. My family fostered them. Just something about those wagging tails, and when I finally got myself a pug in college, there was no going back.

Cats.

I hate the smell of dogs. I hate the sound of dogs, barking/whining/panting. I hate having to take it for walks. I put food and water in a dish, scoop poop from a single location and never have to have it in my hand, and I don't have something that is constantly desperate for attention/affection. I have a mental illness which causes me to be apathetic a lot so an animal loving me feels like absolutely nothing . I get no satisfaction or gratification from caring/providing care, so why waste my time with it?

Don't get me wrong, I do not dislike dogs, they are pure souls in the body of a canine, but I prefer cats, evil souls in the body of a feline. As a kid, I was more or less attacked by a group of street dogs; they weren't after me, but a homeless man behind me. In the end, I developed a litter bit of cynophobia, and very often I try to avoid places where are dogs that I don't know. If I know the owner and the dog, I don't have any problem.

Cats, because they share my black soul. Har har.

In seriousness, I love cats and dogs, but cats are easier for me to care for, and they fit my current lifestyle better: I travel back and forth from home to college a lot, and often spend long hours in class.

I love both, but now that I live in a country where dogs are loved and cats are neglected, I've grown to love cats more. Multiple reasons for it (though I've owned both dogs and cats in my life, and a range of other animals). Though these reasons range from 'why I love cats' to 'why I now prefer cats', most of them are just why I love them. (I still love dogs lots, I just wish people would stop neglecting and tossing cats to the side!)

- Cats' love is very intricate. Though a dog's love is quick and abundant, I love that cats take time to make sure they trust you with everything in their being, and it makes it incredibly rewarding.
- Affection! Unlike some people's preconception, cats are extremely affectionate. It just depends on the cat's personality and their trust in you how often or how big they wish to show it.
- Strong personalities. Some dogbreeds have distinct personalities, but in my personal experience there are many breeds where dogs are kind of... similar. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, I love a good old 'sweet slobbering baby', but I do adore how strong of a personality cats can have, and their breed doesn't really change or dictate it as much.
- Attitude. Not saying dogs don't have it, especially my favorite breed the Boxer does, but man. Do I love the attitude some cats can give.
- A cat sees you as an equal. They give and take love, and you need to do the same, and it makes it a wonderful relationship.

And last but mostly, a point I've heard/seen some vets make that I find very meaningful when it comes to cats.
"A cat's love doesn't just happen. It needs to be earned. And that makes it feel all the more valuable."
It can be earned just by them knowing by intuition you are good folk, or it can be earned with time.

With all this said, I do still very much love dogs and one day I hope to add a dog to our household again. It's just not a priority for a long while to come, because cats need far more help where we live than dogs do.

I just hope people will get the pets they can be good owners for, as that is most important. It doesn't matter if it's dogs, cats, birds (I would be a bad bird owner for example!), rodents or others. Just please treat every animal with love and if an animal needs you, help it by either giving it a home yourself or helping it find a good place. <3

Last edited:
I want to see like actual valid reasons as to why you prefer cats or dogs, not just hating on either.

I, for example, prefer cats after being attacked by a farm dog as a kid.

Like legit, I'm so curious as to why people REALLY prefer cats or dogs
Dang, well...

First off I'm allergic to cats. Might also be allergic to dogs but haven't quite figured that out yet, but I do get welts like mosquito bites when being clawed or bitten by a cat. Not from dogs, though. I also itch from their fur. And I get runny-nosed, as well as lots of nasty mucus buildup. Not pretty. But that is only if I rub my eyes or nose or mouth after touching the cat, usually im smart enough to wash after petting or holding the cat.

But hence why I prefer Dogs. More specifically big dogs. Little dogs are eh depending on breed but if it came between a cat and a chihuahua id pick the cat. I like dogs more because of their intuition and emotional connection. They give more of a shit about you than any cat ever would, and they know how to be your best friend. Whether it be a hunting dog, a service dog, or a cattle one. Now I know cats are loving as well, but they don't show damn near as much care as a dog would. And I'm speaking in terms of quantity, its very rare that a cat acts this way. Cats are more careful and cautious about what they do and so it seems that they are harder to "love" due to them being far more independent from dogs. They are intelligent, I won't deny this, but Cats have a certain aura to me that makes them more distant and cold than dogs(not completely Cold and Distant, but its a noticeable difference). Not saying this is a bad thing, but Cats won't love on you until THEY want to. You can love a dog anytime and they'll love you back. They'll also notice when you're sad or depressed, I've barely ever seen a cat attend to a human that is sad or depressed for being that way. Just by chance or coincidence.

However, I did have a loving black cat when I was growing up that would always be there for me when I needed her. I'll never forget that cat, but I still love dogs more. Not because Cats are worse, but just because I prefer the connection of Man to Dog rather than Man to Cat.

As much as I say that though, I love cats regardless of if I love dogs more. I currently live with one, and since I'm able to avoid being allergic most of the time, It's tolerable. I enjoy the derpiness of cats, and their "I dont give a shit" attitude. I mean I also hate that attitude, but that conversation is for another day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back