• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Castlevania: Night's Dirge [Closed]

Aveline flustered at Syphas teasing too easy, the implication of her and Alucard together made her heart do silly things and try as she might she knew keeping her blush away would be impossible. " Me and Alucard?" She said, barely able to not stumble over the words. " Oh no,no,no." She insisted.

" Why not?" Sypha asked with an arched brow, she didn't think she had been reading things wrong. Alucard and Aveline seemed to gravitation towards one another, though she suppose it was possible the two were just friends but that didn't feel right.

Aveline paused not sure how to put it, how do you tell your friends that you don't think you're good enough for someone? She knew if she said it out loud the others would protest, but when she looked at Alucard she saw someone who had been through so much they deserved the best, and that wasn't her.

So instead of delving into all of that she just chuckled sheepishly, " Because he's so tall. I'd need a ladder to kiss him."

" That's no reason," Sypha insisted, " if you like someone then you should go for it, don't worry about something simple like height." Speakers were never concerned about things like that, as far as they were concerned regardless of gender, appearance, or anything else within reason a couple should get together, naturally they were against older people taking advantage of anyone underaged but there was nothing like that here.

" Regardless, romance probably won't be on his mind after this for a while. And even when he does think about it he probably wont want to be with someone who helped kill his father," Aveline added with a dismissive wave of her hand. She was confident that by the time Alucard did want to date and settle down people would be visiting the castle and he'd probably fall in love with some beautiful human.

" Yes but you don't know that!" Sypha spoke up quickly. " I'm not going to insist you do something you're not comfortable with, but if you sit on this for too long there is the risk you'll get drunk off of cream again and confess to him, and that would just be horribly awkward."

The memory of the clingy affectionate drunk Aveline became wasn't far from her mind, and Aveline paled at just the memory. " I'll just be extra careful," she promised herself weakly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first thing Trevor did when he stepped outside was look over at the pelts, and he arched an eyebrow seeing Sulla standing near it this time. " Both of you really want them don't you?" He asked with a bit of a chuckle. He never did understand why horses liked salt so much, and he certainly didn't know why nightmares that weren't even from this plane wanted it too.

" Your reaction didn't suddenly spark a conversation about you being threat," He assured Lucia as he walked to the back of the carriage and pulled out a half empty bag of salt, the pelts needed just a little bit of touching up but then he'd start to store them and return them to the roof of the carriage. He imagined that by the time they got to the village in the mountain pass he'd be able to shake off any left over salt and start the process of softening the pelts.

" But it did spark a conversation about you being hungry, Sypha offered herself up for a quick midnight snack," He added as he hide his slight frown from her with the open carriage doors. " and it left me wondering how long I have to wait between giving you blood."

he closed the doors to the back of the carriage and hauled the salt over to the pelts. " I just gave you some yesterday, but I was thinking that even with animal blood you're basically starving yourself. I'll confess that when we first started traveling together I wanted you to be on the weaker side of things encase things went south, but i'm not worried about that anymore." for the most part he wasn't at least, but he clearly trusted her enough that he was still going to travel with her when their fight with Dracula was over.

" It'd be for the best if you were as strong as possible when it comes down to it," After all when it was time to fight Dracula he doubted drinking blood the night before would get Lucia up to her full strength, she needed to feed as often as possible before the fight to fully regain her strength. " So how often can I start giving you blood? There won't be very many villages from this point onward, you'll need to start feeding on me regardless of the location."

Of course Danica and Johann were included, even if he didn't mention the names, but he was certain it was time they put more human blood back into Lucias diet. If she could have human blood every 2 or 3 days with animal blood in between to keep her supplemented then he was certain she would be better off, and just the promise that he was on the menu would keep him sober.

Height was obviously a lie, but Danica didn’t say that to Sypha who latched on and took the more obvious thing – that Aveline did like Alucard. She hadn’t denied it, only offered a flimsy excuse that anyone in the room could see through.

“Alucard may appreciate having someone who he knows he can trust to be with him through his hardest moments,” Danica said as Aveline suggested that Alucard wouldn’t want someone who helped to kill his father. Somehow, Danica didn’t think that was going to be an issue. It was possible – she could imagine him withdrawing and resenting them all – but it didn’t seem as likely an outcome. “He’s likely going to hate himself far more than he hates any of us for this.”

No, it seemed he might come to value them all more for being with him through this, so he didn’t have to do it all alone. It was something not everyone had in facing their demons. “It’s also unfair to go live with him and not let him know,” Johann said that a bit more quietly, as if he wasn’t sure if he should speak up. “If…if you’re harboring feelings like that, even if he can’t reciprocate them, it would likely make the living situation just…bad, in the end.”

She’d be questioning his actions, and he’d become more confused by hers, if she kept expecting him to see them for something more. “Of—of course, if he’s harboring such thoughts in inviting you to live with him, or anything, it’s bad on him not to tell you, either.” He didn’t know from Alucard’s side, the man wasn’t so painfully closed off as some, but he was still difficult to read.

“What is this, wise words from Johann?” Sypha gasped, mocking surprise, and he gave her an annoyed look.

“Well I mean—it could make things awkward and painful to live in silence like that, is all. I mean, maybe she’s right and now is way too soon to mention it, but…living with someone, one should be honest about their expectations or thoughts, right?”

Lucia had been fairly forthright with him when he came into her service, about pay, about the tasks that’d be set to him, and much else. There were no romantic entanglements, of course, but he’d still had plenty of things to mention and to ask before he could be certain of Chernihiv becoming his new home.

~***~

Lucia winced at the thought of Sypha offering herself up for a snack so easily. She didn’t like the thought at all, these people weren’t willing so much as they were responding to a difficult situation. She was grateful they wanted to help, but it wasn’t the sort of willingness she wanted from others. She wasn’t dying right now, she’d be fine continuing on the animal diet. “In an ideal world, no more than once a week,” in an ideal world, less, but she wasn’t at Chernihiv. “And I’ve fed from you twice in a row, so you’re off the menu for a while.”

He might feel fine, which in all honesty seemed strange to her, but she didn’t want to push him over that limit just because he was persistent. There was a part of her that wondered if he was just starting to really like the sensation of it. He wasn’t acting like it, just the persistence was strange.

That care, again. That sweetness of his that she wanted to start finding flaws in.

“Once I’m healed it won’t be so bad,” not as if she was starving herself, anyways. “My routine with Danica and Johann on the road was once every four days for either of them,” she’d feed on Danica, rest a day, feed on Johann, and then allow another rest, before Danica. Of course, she wasn’t injured, or dealing with much combat most of the time, so it wasn’t an extreme issue. She still preferred to feed every day, and she’d certainly gotten used to it in Chernihiv, but travel required certain sacrifices.

Either way, “I’ll be all right when we get to Dracula. I’ll be able to hunt again soon, and I’ll take advantage of the village,” she would at least protest this much. “You’re starting to like being bit, aren’t you?” The tease was more to deflect and perhaps try and get Trevor off the subject. She was trying to honor the stupid deal, because the harder part was coming up, and she still didn’t want him to have any excuse.

She did want to believe in his own strength…but she was more than familiar with how people broke, too. And what excuses they would use.

The idea of Alucard hating himself was hard to even think about, and what was worse it did seem very possible. He had only seemed to regret what everything had come to during this journey, and while he never spoke long about his family to keep his resolve strong Dracula wasn't just Dracula to him, he was his father. Where the rest of them saw Draulca through different lenses, some of them had never met him and only heard the stories were as others knew him as a friend, none of them thought of him as something as personal as a father. Alucard was going to go through his own special type of hell, and Aveline wanted to be here to support him when that time came.

But she also didn't want her feelings to prevent her from being there for him. Johann had a point, she should tell Alucard so he doesn't feel like she's putting something he doesn't want on him. " Feelings are so complicated," Aveline groaned as she pulled her knees to her chest and rested her forehead on them.

" That they are," Danica agreed with a chuckle. She remembered being young like Aveline, when emotions seemed to be too wild to control. " That's why it's nice to have people to talk to," Friends always made things easier, even when it came to things like this.

" I think," Aveline hummed as she looked over the top of her knees, " I'll wait and help Alucard through everything, then i'll tell him." Part of her hoped these feelings were just a little crush she could ignore or that would go away with time, but if they weren't then they were something that could take a back seat for now.

Alucards happiness and mental health came first, she wasn't going to immediately confess to him while he was mourning, and if her feelings made him uncomfortable then she wanted to make sure he was able to be happy on his own without her there to support him.

" That's very considerate, Aveline." Danica said, then smiled softly at her. " I think that's a good idea." The fact Aveline was recoginizing her feelings was good, and having a plan that took Alucards own feelings into account was also wonderful.

Aveline sheepishly shrugged over Danicas praise, she didn't think she was doing anything other than being decent. What kind of person forced their own feelings on someone without considering the other persons own feelings? " Now i'd really appreciate none of you saying anything to Alucard." she said. If she was planning to keep her mouth shut she'd appreciate the others keeping this to themselves.

" What? I can't tease Alucard about this?" Sypha asked innocently but Aveline looked nervous enough that she didn't keep the joke going long. " It isn't my place to tell Alucard about your feelings." she wouldn't tell Alucard about Avelines feelings, but she hadn't promised to not talk Alucard through his own.

If they could get both Aveline and Alucard to realize their feelings it would certainly cut out all this middle man business.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucias answer hadn't been what Trevor had wanted to hear, but he had expected something like it. That didn't change the fact that with all the fighting they went through that one a week wouldn't work for a vampires diet. Now that he knew Lucias normal schedule he raised a curious eyebrow, because it sounded like when on the road she already starved herself quite a bit. " Once every 4 days?" He couldn't imagine only eating once every four days, but he was a human so he was sure the effects were different to a certain degree.

" I know that animal blood is pretty shitty, not really the meal of champions let alone something you should rely on when we're going up against Dracula soon." You didn't prepare for a hard battle by living on bread and water for months, you ate well and prepared. If human blood was a steak of the vampire world then Lucia should be eating more of it to get ready for Dracula, because Dracula wouldn't be holding back.

Still Lucia protested, and he tossed down some salt with a little more force than necessary. " If I liked having you bite me, you'd know. Promise." he said as he gave her a cheeky grin over his shoulder. Like he teased Aveline with early, the Belmonts didn't have an bedroom issues and he had never had complaints about his downstairs either. But part of him did wish it was as simple as being turned on when he was bit, he could deal with that.

It was a whole other beast to know he liked being close to Lucia. He liked talking to her, he liked seeing her wear his cloak, and he liked protecting her. She didn't need it but it felt good to have someone he cared about again, but god was that new. He hadn't had more than flings after one too many drinks, he hadn't stuck around long enough to ever like someone like this, but now he did and he wanted to take care of Lucia even if it meant being a human pin cushion.

" I still think you should go back to your normal feeding schedule, just add me onto the 4 day rotation. Not like we have any boose here for me to relapse on, and my burned down estate sure as shit won't have any either."

He was at the point where his drinking didn't have to be a crutch anymore. He knew hard times were coming, and in the past all that he ever had to support him was a bottle. Now though he felt like someone else was there to support him when he needed it. So yes maybe he'd still want the bottle, but he wouldn't die without it.

He was putting his faith in Lucia and her promise to him, if she kept him from crumbling under all his feelings like she said she would then he didn't need their original deal. He just needed her.

“None of us are going to tell Alucard,” Danica promised, and Johann nodded. It wouldn’t be right to do so, not for either of them. But, as Sypha thought, that wouldn’t prevent them from teasing Alucard and trying to get at the heart of his feelings, too. To find out if he felt the same for Aveline, as she did him, or if it was developing in a similar fashion.

He likely didn’t want to think of such things, but they had all seen him speak of the future – with Aveline, without a second thought, as if it was a certain thing for him that Aveline would be with him in that future. Danica certainly saw that as a sign of his desires for more, when all was said and done, and he had his time to mourn.

Alucard had always been sensible.

“We just didn’t want you to think it was a good idea to keep it all to yourself, especially when we think he might feel similar,” Danica winked, “he did speak so easily of a future with you living with him. It didn’t really seem like he was thinking of when it would end,” so perhaps he wasn’t thinking it would end at all.

And Danica wanted to build up her hope. She was young enough, not yet so hurt by rejections or betrayals of her heart. She couldn’t imagine Alucard as that sort of person, she imagine he’d care just as much about Aveline’s feelings as she did his. They’d both take care in approaching the topic, and in considering the situation, but that could make it horribly frustrating, too.

If he could inherit anything of his father, then the love that Dracula was capable of would be a wonderful thing. “I doubt he’d be talking of that kind of future with anyone else so easily,” Sypha added on. Not that he had the opportunity to, but it still did seem something noteworthy.

A hope. “He even seemed like he might be willing to take in your considerations about renovating the place,” flowers everywhere. Johann was the one to add that tidbit. Perhaps all this hope would only lead to a deeper pain if Alucard didn’t feel the same…but Johann didn’t want to consider that part.

~***~

“I have two people – it’s every other day for me,” Lucia clarified, hearing his surprise. Every other day still wasn’t ideal, but the road required its sacrifices, and Lucia knew she could hunt if it was needed for herself. On that sort of schedule, it usually wasn’t. If she needed to extend it longer, she would hunt – if Johann or Danica got injured or ill, for instance, as Johann was now.

He wasn’t deflected by the comment – just threw back another one and Lucia couldn’t help rolling her eyes, even if she still smiled, catching what he meant. He remained stubborn though, wanting her to return to her normal schedule, wanting to stay in the line-up, but Lucia still couldn’t see how this kept their deal intact.

She wasn’t sure how to insist on it, either. He claimed it was unlikely for his estate to have any, but she wasn’t so sure of that. Nor that the village would be lacking, if there remained a village. Even if there wasn’t a village…people left things behind. Perhaps she should have more faith in Trevor, but she never trusted grief.

He seemed to be counting on lack of access, after all. “I thought I got to be the stubborn one?” Lucia noted, recalling Trevor’s earlier complaints of her being stubborn. “Besides, you need to be strong as well for the fight with Dracula. An amnesiac human wouldn’t wield a whip very well and if you get sloppy and hit me again, I will not be pleased.”

But she’d survived a strike from that. She’d survived a bit of time in the evening sun. If nothing else, she felt she’d proved she could handle a bit of weakness against Dracula. True, being at peak would be fantastic, but it wasn’t reasonable. Being at peak would leave others not, and they were…well, mortal. “However…let’s see where things are at when we get to the village. If Johann seems strong enough, I’ll consider this. That would make it only every six days for you.” That was closer to a week, and even then she might press it to a week if she could get away with it.

And she’d still save Johann for last. His leg might still bother him at that time, but at least blood loss shouldn’t be an issue. “I still don’t see how this helps you, though.” She wasn’t putting away human blood, but adding more of it in, while Trevor still wasn’t going to drink. “If I go completely back to normal…are you certain you’re not going to find a loophole or excuse in that, if we stumble across a bottle?” Besides the fact she’d then intoxicate herself on him to prove a point – she didn’t want to have to do that, though.

The possibility that Alucard was thinking the same as Aveline was almost too good to be true. It made her feel a bit giddy, but she was quick to keep herself in control and from getting too excited. The others made good points, he certainly didn't seem to mind her company and spoke easily of their future plans but that didn't mean anything romantic. In the least though he wanted her around as a friend, and the fact he saw her as someone he could trust in his home at the end of what would be a very hard journey for him meant a lot.

Even if nothing romantic came out of this then Aveline would still walk away from this situation with a good friend, and of course she'd also have the friendships she formed with everyone else.

" Ok but if Draculas castle is really as creepy as you two make it out to be who wouldn't want fresh flowers in it?" She teased Johann in an attempt to keep the focus from being on her and her feelings for too long. The others intensions were sweet but at the same time it was embarrassing to know so many people were invested in her little crush.

Sypha hummed her agreement, " That is true. You have to be a special kind of person to turn down fresh flowers, especially from a cute girl." She nodded sagely and Aveline blushed again, getting complimented by anyone that wasn't related to her was still pretty new to her and made her heart pound a bit.

She could handle light flirting from strangers to get information or a better price on an item, but when sweet words came from friends then they had a lot more weight and meaning to them.

" It still means something that he considered what you suggested, flowers or not." Johann said, he was sure Alucard would of accepted the idea of a new rug or something else as easily as he accepted the idea of fresh flowers.

Aveline nodded, she could agree with that. In the least it meant Alucard respected her thoughts and ideas. " I'm glad he said yes to flowers, drunk or not I do want to braid his hair again and put some flowers in it," she confessed with a sheepish chuckle.

" I wish my hair was long enough to braid," Sypha sighed before running a hand through her short locks, " The braid you put in Alucards hard back at the inn was so nice."

" I can do something with your hair," Aveline promised as she bounced to her feet. Syphas hair wasn't the longest but she could still do some small braids. " Too bad we're not outside, i'd get some flowers for your hair." she could already picture Begonias tucked into the braid, or maybe an Iris tucked behind Syphas ear.

Sypha let out an excited squeal and clapped her hands as Aveline settled behind her and started to run her fingers through her hair, getting an idea of the thickness and texture she was working with. " Alucard will be jealous when he sees," Sypha joked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Blood loss has never stopped me from kicking ass," Trevor pointed out. Lucias concern was understandable, but he was stubborn enough to know he wasn't going to let some blood loss keep him from giving his full 100% when the time came. He wouldn't be able to afford that, they were going to fight Dracula and what ever other vampires had assembled around him. Lucia had only given them a slight idea of what to expect, but Dracula had summoned his war council so there had to be capable noble vampires there to have his back. He was preparing himself mentally to kick in the doors and have to fight vampires of a similar skill level as Lucia.

" Besides adding me to the rotation also gives Danica and Johann a break," He wasn't the only person that would be giving blood after all. Johann and Danica weren't one of the team heavy hitters like him, neither were part of the prophesy either, but they were still members of the team and giving them a larger window to recover after giving blood could only benefit the team in the end.

The question of his own benefit came up, and he pretended to be looking the pelts over to give him a moment to get his words right. " I'll admit not having a bottle around certainly makes things easier...but earlier today I found a bottle at the old dugout. I looked at it and I put it back down," That had been a moment of personal pride. No one had told him to put it down, and Sypha had been surprised to see he had done it on his own.

" Not drinking is hard, especially when my emotions hit me full force, but I feel good." It was more than not being hung over all the time that made him feel better than he had in a long time, he was pretty sure that he had found a bit of pride again. He was proud to not had a drink in almost a month, he was proud he had a purpose and found something he could be part of, but he was also proud because there were people here that were proud of him.

Because that surprised but happy look on Syphas face was in his mind, she had been happy to see him overcoming his demons and that felt good. Just the idea of how the others would react if they found out he had caved and broken his promise were hard to swallow. It would put the team at risk, and not just because of the alcohol but because he would be breaking his promise and their trust in him.

" I don't want to disappoint everyone." That was weird to say, Christ it had been so long since there were people he didn't want to disappoint. " So the way I see it you can go back to your normal feeding schedule, but knowing that i'll be on the menu will keep me honest. Besides i'm sure if I did get drunk you or Alucard would figure out quickly enough," the smell of alcohol would be impossible for their enhanced senses to miss, " and one or both of you would give me hell for it."

“I definitely want to see Alucard with flowers in a braid,” Johann grinned a bit at the thought, imagining he might actually live to see that one day now. Aveline would take Alucard into it. It’d be a glorious sight. He might even have to commission a portrait of it – though Alucard would probably get annoyed with him for it if he had to stand still for so long. Not everyone could draw from memory so well.

As Aveline moved behind Sypha to braid her hair, Johann immediately drew a hand up to his own short locks, though it was more a protective gesture now that he knew the woman was insane enough to try and do braids in short hair. Danica giggled at the gesture, “I think Johann wants to be next!”

“No!” Too fast, of course, “Er, that is – they look lovely but I…I don’t want my hair to feel that tight or scrunched up. It can get painful.”

“Sisters?” Danica teased, figuring that was the way Johann knew how it felt. He just sighed again, defeated. “Ah, it must have been nice to have siblings,” she hadn’t had any, though at times it had felt that way with Lucia, as their roles seemed to change over time, from a maternal one, to a sisterly one, and then back to maternal, but reversed.

“Yeah….” Though he missed them, of course, he wouldn’t go back on his decisions. He had saved his eldest brother and lost the rest. It was worth it to him, though. One day they might come around, anyway. It wasn’t like Trevor’s situation, or Lucia’s, where their family was out of reach. “But I know I don’t like braids. That’s all.” Nothing against Aveline’s skill, he just didn’t want that pull in his hair.

Sypha just hummed at his complaint, “It doesn’t feel so bad,” yet might be the key word, but at least right then, nothing Aveline had done felt painful.

“Why do you keep your hair so short?” Danica asked her then.

“Huh? Oh…well, it’s safer,” she admitted, “traveling as a Speaker, the robes don’t reveal much of gender, and if I keep my hair short, a lot of people do mistake me for a boy!” Until she spoke, usually.

“I don’t see how,” Johann couldn’t see it, though perhaps he was already too biased, but Sypha’s features seemed quite feminine even with short hair. Then again, he’d seen plenty of men get mistaken for girls just for having long hair, from the back. “I wonder if Alucard ever gets mistaken for a girl….”

~***~

Trevor had an opportunity to take alcohol, but hadn’t. His words only made Lucia worry that more alcohol might be in the hold. Would he be able to put it down there? Perhaps. He was surrounded by people who were invested in him not drinking, he couldn’t quite hide from them with a bottle and drown his sorrows. Someone would find him, and someone would realize what he’d done.

Still…he did sound proud he’d put it away. And he sounded sincere right then, that he didn’t want to go back to depending on the bottle, that he didn’t want to disappoint the team. “Somehow, I do not imagine you’re a subtle drunk.” So any of them would figure it out, even without the enhanced senses of vampirism. Alcohol had a fairly distinct scent on the breath, and when sweated out.

She’d recognized it even when she was human.

“At the village, then, I’ll resume my normal traveling schedule,” she said, but added a caveat, “and if you return to drinking before Dracula has been dealt with, you will not be coming with me to Rome when all is said and done.” It was almost painful to say, but she needed to add something beyond his own disappointment. He’d started to consider a future, and admittedly, so had she – but if he couldn’t keep himself clean that long, then he had no place going forward with her party anyway.

He should know there would be a consequence beyond mere disappointment. If he wanted that future, he’d have to hold on a little longer.

She heard the sound of Alucard’s boots and pushed away from the carriage, “So please don’t mess up, Trevor. I’d prefer you along for a bit,” for Johann, perhaps that should have been added, but it wasn’t as she moved to where Alucard was entering sight of the cabin, a dead animal over the back of Marius. She gestured Alucard off and Marius paused where he was, letting Alucard leave his side to head back towards the shack, and let Lucia take the dead animal out of sight.

He cast a glance at the pelts, Trevor’s presence not quite unexpected, but still…it did make Alucard wonder. “Is everything all right?” He had been out there not that long ago to check on the pelts, after all.

" Just because you don't want a braid doesn't mean there's any problems with a flower behind your ear," Aveline teased Johann. Like the others she had been ready to braid his hair and tease him, but she could respect his wishes and some people did braid a bit too tightly. When it came to find hair you kind of needed to unless you wanted to make very small braids, but she enjoyed braiding hair so much she didn't mind doing things the long way. Still she could only imagine how beautiful Johann would look with a Gladiolus behind his ear, or maybe a sweetpea. Though given Lucias history and heritage the Gladiolus seemed to fit her better, just like the way a white carnation seemed like just the flower for Danica.

" I'm fine really," Johann insisted, he felt like he was being hounded by his sisters again, they had a way of talking him into things he didn't really want to do, so he didn't want a repeat of that with Aveline or Sypha.

Avelines skilled fingers continued to weave through Syphas hair, mindful not to pull on it too much but also aware that Syphas hair wasn't as silky as Alucards. Alucards hair was silky and fine, but hers was soft while still having a wave to it, the wave made it easier to keep things neat and in place.

She laughed a bit, like Johann she was suddenly wondering if Alucard was never confused with a woman from behind. " If he's confused for a woman it's by someone who likes tall women," She chuckled, but if Alucard was sitting down she could certainly imagine people had been left wondering.

" He is huge, it must be a vampire thing," Sypha agreed with a chuckle. Lucia was very tall for a woman, but that probably came from her heritage and when she was still human. Alucard was the son of Dracula, so his height could be a result of being a Dhampir, but his father could also just be very tall.

" His boots even have a bit of a heel on them," Aveline had no idea why Alucard would want or need more height, he already seemed more than tall enough to her. " Why he needs to be so tall i'll never understand."

" It's probably just fashion," Sypha giggled, " His fashion sense is very...specific," That was putting it nicely. Aveline had never seen clothes like Alucard was wearing, they were clearly foreign or influenced by someplace that wasn't Wallachia. She had just never said anything about it because she was aware that her own taste in fashion was odd, and so was Syphas.

" You're one to talk, you're robes aren't common either,"

" My people dress this way, my robes are like your tabard. I highly doubt that when we get to Draculas castle the man will be wearing heels and a long trench coat," But Sypha paused, she had never met Dracula but Lucia had and there was a chance that Danica and Johann had since they traveled with her.

" I've never thought about it before, but how alive does Alucard look to his father?" They were father and son they had to look at least a bit alike, but since Sypha had never seen Dracula she wasn't sure what to expect. Maybe the man was blond like his son.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucias terms were harsh, so harsh that Trevors head snapped her direction and for a moment dread filled him. Just moments ago he felt like he could defeat his demons, that they wouldn't get a hold of him ever again, but suddenly so much was at risk. Disappointing the others if he failed would be hard but he could live with it, but being left behind? He never wanted to be left behind by people he cared about, not after his family had died and left him on his own.

For a moment he pictured the carriage driving away from him and vanishing into the distance, where would that leave him? Would Alucard and Aveline want him around the castle, would he even want to stay with them? Maybe Sypha would let him wander with her to go help people pick up their lives after Draculas attack but the whole group would know what had happened and why his plans had to change.

The pressure to not fuck up was mounting.

Still Trevor didn't argue against it, he felt like he worked best under pressure and in the least if another bottle found its way in front of him he would have this moment to remember and reflect on.

But it was Lucias soft after thought that stuck out to him, and changed his shocked expression to something softer. She wanted him around, and that did funny things to his heart. "Guess I better not muck things up then," He said softly, more to himself than anyone but he knew her enhanced hearing would pick it up.

" Nah you didn't miss anything," Trevor assured Alucard as Lucia slipped out of sight to feed. " Just a little chat with Lucia while i get the pelts ready to put away." The salt bag in his hands was basically empty except for a bit at the bottom, and he looked at why wondering if it was this the horses wanted so badly or the fleshy parts of the pelt they were drawn to.

" This is basically a salt lick, right?" He asked Sulla holding out the bag, abet cautiously, to see if the nightmare would bury his head inside to get some of the salt. Though if by the end of this he was missing a finger he'd be pretty pissed.

Danica did nod – Alucard’s fashion was rather specific, and unlike anything she’d seen elsewhere, even in visitors to Lucia’s home. “You know, I’m not actually certain if height is a vampire thing,” Lucia didn’t have red eyes before, Danica knew that, but she’d never thought to ask if the height had been from being turned or not.

It just never occurred to her.

“Dracula’s fashion is a bit…different. No heals, and no coat, but he does have a thing for cloaks.” Maybe it was actually a vampire cliché based in some reality.

“He doesn’t look anything like Alucard, though,” Johann spoke up, “Alucard looks more like his mom. Dracula has black hair,” Johann put up a finger as he listed off the details, “weird pointy ears,” which Lucia didn’t have, but he’d seen it in other vampires. He’d seen them without it, too. He didn’t know what made the difference – Carmilla had normal colored eyes, after all. “He’s got red eyes and this weird moustache-beard thing going on that…I admit it makes him look evil, like,” he made a gesture of twirling a beard he clearly didn’t have to try and get how it could make one look evil, before going rigid as he heard the door open.

Alucard walked in, but if he’d heard anything, he didn’t respond to it. His eyes just shifted over to where Aveline was, playing with Sypha’s hair. “Oh dear…what have I returned to?”

“Braids and flowers. Thankfully we have no flowers,” Johann answered, losing some of his rigidity.

“Yet.” Danica said.

“I return at the worst moments…I think I’ll go back and deal with Trevor,” as if that were a safer alternative, though the slight bend in his lips hinted at a smile, which his eyes couldn’t hide so well.

At least this didn’t change.

“Oh you stay! She’s not going to braid hair unless you want it braided. Sypha asked.”

“Does it look good?” She couldn’t see it.

Alucard stepped closer to take a look at what Aveline was doing and the style being woven into Sypha’s hair. “Hmm….”

“Don’t do that!” Sypha grew a bit paranoid with the hum.

He chuckled, “It looks fine, Sypha.”

~***~

Lucia had known the words would be harsh, and seeing Trevor’s reaction confirmed it. There was something that could keep him in line, just long enough, to the end of Dracula. It was painful to say, because she was honest in her want for him to continue, but just as resolved to keep to her words if he faltered. She was willing to help others…but they had to put in the effort, too.

That hope seemed a balm to the shock, and she did hear his comment, and it stuck with her as she resigned herself to animals until the village. Until she could go back to ‘normal’, and hope what was said would be enough, hope that Trevor wouldn’t slip, hope….

Danica would never let it go if she knew. And she already knew too much.

Lucia went into the trees to drain the creature of blood while Marius waited nearby, apparently concerned enough that something might jump out of the trees at her that he opted to linger until the corpse was empty and Lucia stepped back out. She patted his side and turned him back towards the shack.

Where Alucard was dismissing the current conversation and heading into the shack, and Sulla had his head in a salt sack, apparently confirming that nightmares did want salt, and not just the pelts. It had been the salt that was enticing, this time around, and Marius let out a rather loud, protesting whinny at Sulla being rewarded.

He had been good, all night! Why was Sulla getting the salt?!

Sulla did not withdraw, and Lucia just laughed at Marius’s clear jealousy, unable to help the reaction as the nightmare seemed like he might bite one of the pelts on principal now. If this was the reward for good behavior!

Aveline had only ever heard about Lisa, Alucard had told her some wonderful things about his mother but she had never realized she didn't know what she had looked like. There was a possibility she never would unless she found a portrait of her somewhere, but it wasn't hard to imagine a beautiful and smart woman with silky blond hair. Realizing what Dracula looked like was more shocking because it was just so different from Alucard. She wouldn't be able to really compared anything until she saw the man face to face, but it sounded like the two were different in almost everyway.

Aveline let out a soft gasp when she realized something, " If Dracula has pointy ears do you think Alucard has pointy ears?" She couldn't remember what his ears were like, his hair always hide them and the one time she had been playing with his hair she was drunk off her ass on cream so the memories were hazy at best.

" I wouldn't know," Danica said with a small shake of his head, " That's probably something you should ask him anyway." Johann added, it was something personal and talking behind someones back was never a good thing to do. Plus this was just ears they were talking about, Alucard probably wouldn't get upset if he was asked. It was the same as asking what color his hair was in a way.

Luckily the object of her curiosity stepped back into the shack, and Aveline had to know. " Alucard do you have pointy ears?" She asked him, fingers quickly finishing up Syphas braids so the curious speak could gently pat her head to feel what had been done.

From his spot Johann snorted a bit, he hadn't expected Aveline to ask so point blank and if he had been drinking water it probably would of shot out of his nose. Sypha laughed a bit as well, but Aveline was serious.

" I can't remember anything that happened that night at the inn-" she paused to pout about that, "- so I can't remember what your ears look like. But Johann pointed out that there's a possibility they're pointy."

" Hey!" Johann sat up a bit straighter, he didn't want to be pulled into this. " We weren't talking behind your back," He was quick to assure Alucard, " I just pointed out that you look more like your mother."

" Johann said your father has pointy ears, and if you do have pointy ears i'd really like to see them," Aveline blinked innocently up at Alucard, hoping she could flutter her eyelashes and get her way.

Johann shook his head a bit, he could see some similarities between Sypha and Aveline, " I think Sypha is a bad influence on you, Aveline. She seems to have you thinking that looking cute and innocent will let you get your way."

" Hey!" Sypha huffed, " I do not act cute and innocent, I am cute and innocent." she turned her nose up a bit, playfully acting high and mighty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" That answers that," Trevor chuckled as he watched Sulla stuff his face into the bag to get into the salt. He hadn't really thought of the nightmares as real horses in anything but appearance, but he suppose they did have some similarities to the horses he remembered being raised around as a boy. Hell maybe he could get the nightmares to like him more if he fed them salt cubes.

Marius's outraged whinny caught Trevors attention and maybe it was the sound of Lucias laugh or the way that Sulla licked up the salt even quicker like they didn't want to share with Marius but he started laughing too. It was a deep belly laugh, and by the time it was done he was wiping a stray tear from his eye.

" Calm down, Marius." he called out as Sulla pulled his head from the now completely salt free bag. " I'll get some salt for you, just gotta get into the back." The pelts were properly salted now and probably wouldn't need more than another bag of salt at the most, so they had enough to spare for the jealous nightmare.

Marius shook his head out, clearly he still had attitude, and walked over to Sullas side with a slight glare. It appeared that he felt betrayed by his friend and partner, but Trevor returned from the back of the carriage with two bowls and salt in them both. " Lets consider this a reward for you two not taking a bit out of the pelts. But there is a good amount of salt in the back, so lets make a deal. I'll give you two all the salt you can have, within reason-" he made sure to add on, he didn't know if horses could have too much salt let alone if that applied to nightmares but he wasn't going to be the one to overdose Lucias two flesh eating horses, " and you two stop looking at my hands like they're something you want to take a bit out of."

The whole time he proposed his deal he looked at Marius more than he did Sulla, he had a feeling that Marius and his big attitude was the one to really look out for but he might as well give Sulla another reason to NOT eat his hands.

He and Marius shared a look, it was a small battle of wills and Marius appeared to be weighing the pros and cons of the proposal, but both horses nodded their heads just enough that Trevor felt like the deal had been accepted.

So he held out the bowls, but also made sure to keep his fingers tucked out of the way to not risk anything. He had a feeling that if his thumb was even in a little bit of the salt he would be blamed, not the horses, if something happened to it.

Last edited:
Pointy ears?

That was definitely not a question Alucard was expecting when he walked in, and he started to realize he should have expected at least something strange. It always seemed to happen when people returned to the group.

His eyes did dart over to Johann when he was implicated, narrowing, even as Johann tried to explain away the situation.

Aveline’s request wasn’t going to be denied, even without that innocent look. It did earn a slight smile from him, as did Johann’s assessment.

“Sypha you are…not innocent.” Alucard left the ‘cute’ alone, figuring if he gave Sypha one she’d accept that, as he took a knee besides Aveline, as she was still sitting behind Sypha – though Sypha was quickly turning around.

“I am as innocent as fresh snow!” Sypha contended.

“Snow is not innocent,” Danica stated.

“Yeah, it’s kind of evil and hides all sorts of holes and slippery ice.”

Sypha whipped her head around as if to argue with the two, that they didn’t get the meaning, but then she smiled, “So I’m as dangerous as snow!” She declared instead. “Dangerous and cute.”

“Precisely,” the tint of sarcasm could be heard in Alucard’s tone, as he pushed some of his hair back behind one of his ears so that it would be seen, rather than him needing to say one way or another. “They’re not like Dracula’s, but they are pointed,” his ears were almost human, but there was an obvious elongation of them at the top, and it ended in a point. He had been embarrassed by them when he was young, as they were so…unusual. Not like his mother’s, not like Dracula’s. Growing his hair out hadn’t initially been to hide them, but they served the purpose well.

~***~

Lucia was almost surprised the sound of their laughter and Marius’s vocal complaints didn’t cause anyone to come outside, but she was glad for it, too. It was a moment she got to enjoy for herself, seeing Trevor laughing so hard over Marius’s protest that a tear came to his eye, and then moving to rectify the error by grabbing two bowls full of salt for the horses.

Even if Lucia were human she was fairly sure that would be disgusting, but nightmares had far different tastes. “They also like sugar,” she thought to point out as Trevor put the bowls down, “and hands. Hands are their favorite.” Trevor had apparently been attuned enough to notice where the nightmares looked when considering murder. “Can’t convince them to eat a carrot, though. Johann’s tried."

The nightmares agreed, at least for now to get their reward of salt. They could look at other hands. Though, as soon as the bowls were set down, Marius butted his head against Sulla’s and took a chomp out of the pile of salt in his bowl, apparently to make it even. Sulla gave his own protest at it, but when he thought to steal some of Marius’s, the revelation of fangs paused Sulla.

“Children,” Lucia managed to firm up her voice enough so it didn’t sound like she was about to laugh again at their petty display, “Just eat the salt, there is apparently more in your future so long as you behave. And Sulla that was a jerk move.”

Sulla snorted but didn’t defend himself any further, just went back to enjoying the remaining salt in his bowl. “You might have finally found the way to Marius’s heart.” Lucia noted. Marius was very food-focused, but bringing him meat didn’t exactly win him over so easily – even if he liked Veidr more and wouldn't protest the cwn annwn walking closer. Meat was something he could get on his own.

Salt? Salt was another story.

It was still strange to her, but both nightmares preferred the material plane to the astral plane. She hadn’t asked why. Nightmares were allowed their secrets, too.

Aveline gasped slightly, eyes widening in wonder, as Alucard tucked some hair behind his ears and showed her the answer to her question. " They're wonderful," she said after a moment of speechlessness. " and also really cute." she had tried to hold that part in to herself, after all maybe that was just her crush on him speaking, but she couldn't help being honest. They were a cross between peoples, just like Alucards existence itself was, and unique in that way that only he could be.

Sypha couldn't help herself and also stole a glance at Alucards ears, and she let out a curious hum. His ears were certainly different but they weren't bad in the slightest.

" Wait, I thought fae had pointy ears, so shouldn't your ears look kind of like Alucards?" Sypha said, her own realization dawning on her. All the stories she had heard about fae and other fairy like creatures normally pointed out the small size of the fae and their pointy ears. Yet Aveline was acting like this was new to her as well, it was conflicting with the lore she knew.

" Oh," Aveline said as she also tucked a strand of hair behind her ear to show the others her ears. Like Alucard her ears weren't totally normal, they were longer than a normal humans but they came to more of a soft rounded point than his ears did. " My ears are kind of pointy, but I wanted to see what his looked like." But she didn't think they were as pointy as Alucards. She had just been curious if their ears would look different because of their different supernatural backgrounds.

" But not all fae have pointy ears Sypha. The fae comes in all shapes and sizes." Like humans the fae could look very different from one another while still carrying the title 'fae'.

Danica hummed a soft agreement, she had certainly heard about the fae Lucia had met enough times to know that Aveline didn't match their description, but it was nice to know not all fae looked so stretched out and taunt as those ones had.

" If fae come in all shapes and sizes then you must of gotten the short of the stick, emphasis on short." Sypha said, snickering behind her hand. It was said in joking but as far as stereotypes about the fae went Aveline wasn't that far off. She was the shortest in the group, something Sypha was very happy about since she was normally the shortest, and did come off as youthful in that supernatural way that was hard to describe.

But when Lucia, Aveline, and Alucard were all together it was easier to see than explain, but you could just feel that something wasn't completely human about them. Maybe it was their beauty or a grace they carried when they walked, but they were certainly supernatural.

Avelien gasped, letting her hair fall back in place and instead placed her hand over her heart. " I'm hurt," She joked, pretending to press on her 'wounded' heart. " You're really going to tease me after I braided your hair and showed you my ears?"

" Didn't you hear? I'm dangerous, Aveline." Sypha tried to keep a straight face, but a quirk of her lips was still there, " You should of never trusted me."

" Clearly," Aveline scoffed. " Is there anyone in here I can trust?" She sighed dramatically then turned to Alucard, " Are you going to defend my honor against the dangerous speaker magician or are you going to stab me in the back too?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" I can appreciate liking food enough that it could win you over," Trevor chuckled stepping back to let the nightmares enjoy their snack, but he did make a mental note that the nightmares also liked sugar.

He was planning on traveling with the group, so he might as well get on everyones good side including the nightmares. Plus it appeared that as long as he gave them a bowl of salt they would tolerate them, which wasn't something he could do to a person but that was probably the reason why he always preferred animals to people.

Admittibly once he got past the part where Marius and Sulla were nightmares that ate flesh, went to the astral plane, glowed blue in the night, and also literally gave nightmares he could see the animal part of them that appealed to him. He was a softy for animals, even if he didn't look like it. He just preferred normal animals that weren't huge creatures looking to spill his blood or eat his hands.

Content to let the nightmares enjoy their snack Trevor returned to the pelts, where he started to stack them on top of one another so he could tie them together and prepare them for the road. The cold was getting to him though, the tips of his fingers a bright red and the stinging in the tip of his nose telling him he was pushing his time out here.

After tying all the pelts together he stood up straight and rubbed his hands together, then pulled them towards his mouth to blow on. He got a few huffs out before he noticed something gently fluttering to the ground. Looking straight up he watched as snow began to fall, a few pieces catching on his eyelashes.

" Well that explains why it's cold as balls out here," He grumbled then returned to his work, the sooner he got the pelts secured to the carriage the soon he could warm up inside. "I'll love rubbing it in Syphas face that I was right about it snowing, still sucks though."

He liked teasing Sypha and he also liked being right, so that would be fun, but even all their teasing wouldn't change the fact that when they left soon it would be through a lay of snow they had to navigate the mountain pass.

" This snowfall will block out the sun for a while," He commented, " On days when it's cloudy like this do you still have to hide?" He imagined it was a good idea to not risk anything, the sun could always break through the clouds, but on days when rain or snow seemed certain and the sky was a greyish-black the temptation had to be there. Who didn't like the crunch of snow under their feet or the feeling of rain on their cheek?

Last edited:
Alucard felt the heat rise up through his cheeks and into the tips of his ears as they were called ‘cute’ and ‘wonderful’. He hadn’t thought he would get so flustered, but seeing as they were a part that he was a touch embarrassed by, hearing compliments placed upon them was…strange. It was nice, but somehow not what he expected, even from this group. They could just as easily tease him for it as be complimentary.

Trevor would have probably been the latter, but even Sypha could be – right now she was playing nice…and asking about fae ears.

It seemed that the common belief of fae with pointed ears rang true for Aveline, as she soon showed hers. They were more rounded than Alucard’s, and did not seem to stretch up so long, either. No doubt that was why her own hair was able to hide them so well, and he canted his head a bit at the sight of them. It made his feel…less strange. Even if her styling wasn’t identical to his own, it was at least some comfort that hers were closer to his than Dracula’s ever had been.

Sypha’s savagery returned though, and Alucard had to stifle the laugh that wanted to come at her short comment. Still, he couldn’t deny it – and when Aveline turned to him for a defense, his expression was gentle, but he didn’t defend her. Instead, he said, “It’s hard to defend you against the truth, Aveline. You are short, even by human female standards,” at least what he knew of them. He knew Lucia was tall, but it seemed most women fell around Sypha or Danica’s heights. His mother had, apparently, been a little on the tall side.

That was good for Dracula in some respects. He didn’t have to lean over as much. Still quite a bit, though. “It’s not a bad thing,” Alucard added, “you’re not going to be walking into any doors.”

Johann raised his eyebrows at that, “You’ve done it, haven’t you?”

Alucard nodded, “Particularly when I was younger, and in a rush…in Dracula’s castle there was no problem, but in a human town, or my mother’s home…let us just say there are many doors I should have ducked down under before attempting to run through them. I…may have broken one or two.”

Johann gaped.

“With your head?” Sypha was actually startled – dhampir or not, that was fairly impressive. Alucard gave a mute nod.

“Being tall is not all good.” He thought it might make Aveline feel better about being short. He couldn’t defend her against the truth…but he could offer her a perk.

~***~

The nightmares were fairly easy to bribe – once one knew how. Even Lucia found it amusing at times. They might be vastly intelligent astral beings, but they were also hopeless hedonists. Well, not hopeless – but hedonists all the same. Thankfully she had worked out an arrangement with them, or they’d still be running rampant and causing all sorts of trouble with sporadic nightmares and dead cattle. “For all their intelligence, they’re still fairly single-minded,” Lucia chuckled.

She already knew the kind of paranoia and witch-hunts that caused in humans. Innocents would be blamed for the plague of bad dreams and dead animals, likely inspired by the kinds of nightmares they had. She’d already seen it start in Chernihiv with the demands to oust the Jewish population. She had ignored those demands and found another way – the head of the Church there had witnessed the truth, but found a pleasant way to tell a half-truth to the people and remind them that the Jews were protected. They had their own covenant with God.

Trevor began to put up the pelts, as the white flakes started to fall from the sky. Lucia did tilt her head up towards it. The flakes always felt nice on her skin. It was likely how Chernihiv ended up winning her over, and why she didn’t run to Rome immediately – besides the innate fear of Tiberius that Dimas had set into her soul. “You knew it was going to snow,” she reminded, grinning, before it faltered at his query of whether or not she could stay out in the clouds.

She dropped her gaze from the sky to look at him, “You saw what the evening sun did. Do you imagine a sun covered by clouds, high up in the sky, is truly better?” The clouds were never thick enough. It was akin to the evening sun, true, but nothing she wanted to endure. “This isn’t a gift.”

Perhaps to some vampires, it was. Those who wanted it. Those who knew what they were sacrificing – or thought they knew – but she never would have accepted it all those years ago, to be despised by Apollo, to be ripped away from Vesta’s hearth and all she knew. She’d come to terms with it. She wasn’t going to walk out into the sun and commit suicide any time soon, but she still understood this life was cursed. “And it seems my skin gets weaker to the sun with every passing year, rather than stronger,” the less human, the more vampire. She knew it hadn’t burned so much when she mistakenly walked out into the sun that first day after being turned. She wasn’t sure if there was a huge difference between when Dimas burned and now, but certainly, that first day, there had been.

She shook her head, dismissing the melancholy, “But I trade the sun for years. I suppose some would call it fair.” She saw so much growth and change in the world…and she wouldn’t readily turn that away, either. She wouldn’t have asked for it, but being given it…she wouldn’t change, either.

Regardless of whether or not Alucard was telling the truth, which he was, Aveline still let out a fake gasp. " Betrayed," she sighed dramatically as she leaned back against the shack wall, apparently dead from the 'wound' Alucard had inflicted with his facts.

She was well aware of the fact she was a runt in almost every sense of the word, she was almost always the smallest person in the room, but she had still hoped for someone to have her back. In hindsight that might of been asking too much, no one in this group was able to pass up the chance to tease someone, especially not Sypha and their pretend gentleman Alucard.

But Aveline was 'brought back to life' after hearing Alucard had broken some doorways because he was simply too tall. " Really?" She asked with a small giggle, already sitting back up and moving away from the shack wall. The shack did give them protection from the elements but it wasn't insulated in the least, leaning against it she had a good idea of just how cold it was outside. " It's hard to imagine you being that tall as a child,"

The only picture of Alucard she had was the current one he painted through his actions. The Alucard she knew was the intelligent, regal, duty bounded man in front of her. But everyone in this room had been a child at one time, they had all made mistakes or stumbled over thher own feet. It was still hard to imagine a young Alucard running through a doorway, maybe excited to tell his mother something, only for him to break the doorway when his head hit it.

But Alucards plan had worked, Aveline didn't feel as embarrassed about being so short, she had never hit her head on something that was 'low' to a tall person. Though she had robes caught on doorknobs enough times that she felt like that was a struggle of its own. " You have me beat," She conceded, " though you don't know the struggle until you go swimming in water that reaches your neck but reaches the chests of others." That was true embarrassment.

Sypha let out a snort, she knew that feeling very well but it certainly wasn't as bad as breaking doorways with your face. " I think if we're ever in a situation where water reaches Alucards chest or shoulders that we'd all drown."

Aveline shivered at the possibility, drowning was certainly not a way she wanted to die and the fact they hadn't been always killed by some water creature was a blessing but Alucard and Lucias aversion to moving bodies of water had probably saved them from that.

" Don't even joke about drowning," Aveline whined. " My father told me of a large water serpent that almost killed him and his mercenary group years ago. It destroyed their ship and drowned most of his men," a visible shiver ran down her spine, " I've refused to step into large bodies of water ever since!"

" Not every lake or river has a monster in it," Johann pointed out. He could understand the caution and concern but if the possibility of something was stopping Aveline from enjoying life then he felt like she should try and overcome her fears.

" That's a chance I will not take," Aveline insisted. She enjoyed smaller rivers that only went up to her knees or her waist, but something large enough to actually swim in? Unless the water was crystal clear then she would refuse it on principle. " And don't even get me started on oceans!" she had seen the Black Sea once and hadn't even entertained the idea of stepping into the water.

Lucias answer left more questions, questions that a vampire hunter in theory would know, but he did not. His family had always been concerned with killing vampires, they rarely took into account anything that didn't involve just straight up killing them. They knew that sunlight hurt them, long enough exposure would kill them, that a stake in the heart worked but was pretty primate by todays standards.

But learning all this new information was good, because now he wasn't a hunter just wandering around looking for work. Now he was a man on a mission with allies, who had strengths and weaknesses that he needed to keep in mind. So he stored away the fact even clouds and rain weren't enough for Lucia to walk around freely during the day.

" I imagine the sun isn't that important," Trevor conceded, but was also aware that you never truly missed something until it was gone and out of your grasp. That feelings of the sun warming your skin in the afternoon, the way sunlight relaxed a room, or how the sun illuminated the people you loved in a beautiful light those were all things Lucia could never have. No amount of candles at night or those self lighting torches in Draculas class could replace the sun.

" In the least whether or not the sun is out doesn't change the fact that once there's enough snow on the ground i'm going to throw a snowball at Alucard," He gave Lucia a cheeky grin. The sun wasn't a factor for the Dhampir, but the time of day didn't change the actives a person could get into. If the snow was thick enough to pile into a ball when they left in the early morning Alucard was going to get a snowball to the face.

Trevor pulled the knot on the pelt racked tight, letting out a satisfied hum when he was certain they wouldn't come undo. " You better keep your eyes open too because i'm certain there will be enough snow on the ground tomorrow tonight," His threat was left unfinished, but he had a mischievous glim in his eyes. Whether or not he could actually hit Lucia with a snowball he wasn't sure, but he was certainly going to try.

He was going to show her that you didn't need the sun to live a normal life, you just had to change your schedule a bit which he and the other sleep needing members of the team had already done.

Trevor hauled the stack of pelts over to the carriage and carefully reattached them to the roof, next time he took these off he would take them off the racks and start to turn them into real blankets.

" Though if I do start a snowball fight i'm going to have to ban magic and vampire reflexes," Sypha was already a force to be reckon with so he was certain a ground full of snow would give her an advantage the others didn't have, but vampiric speed and reflexes would also make for an unfair fight.

Last edited:
Alucard knew he’d been a tall and lanky child. He grew too fast – and his mind didn’t always catch up with his body. There had been some awkward years where he looked far older than he was, and while he was a bit more mature – he was still a child, and still didn’t have the worldly experience someone of his appearance should have had. At least now it felt like he’d evened out.

Thankfully, the confession of his awkward years ‘revived’ Aveline, so the confession was not all for naught. Though, as they brought up water, he shivered and shook his head, “I’ll pass on water that deep. I can’t swim.” Lisa thought he might be able to learn in man-made pools, but he’d never had opportunity to try. All he knew was that he sunk like a rock in normal water.

At least he didn’t die in running water – though he could if he drowned. It wasn’t the instant death some vampires faced.

“Let’s just avoid water.” Alucard noted as the sea monster was mentioned, and the ocean.

“You sound like Trevor,” Johann joked, knowing full well it was a vampire issue – that dhampirs had to some degree, it seemed. Still, with Trevor’s hygiene always an easy target, it seemed fair game to tease Alucard for not liking water. Even if he clearly wasn’t lacking in hygiene.

It got a chuckle out of Alucard, “Okay…let’s not avoid water, I still need it to stay clean,” he agreed, “The last thing we need is all of us ending up like Trevor. I think we might kill one of the nightmares.” The stench alone would be wretched. Danica laughed a bit at the thought but would agree – they needed baths. “And I suppose I do still like to look out at oceans or other bodies of water.” He’d seen the ocean before on those ventures out, though Dracula had clearly hesitated going near it at all.

For all his power, he still had the limitations of other vampires.

“Better,” Danica said, “and maybe we’ll talk Aveline into venturing into deeper water one day. They don’t all contain kappas, or merfolk, or leviathans….” She was clearly teasing a bit with the list.

“You’re not making it better!” Sypha said, then, “Kelpies?” She didn’t know that one.

“Oh yes – if we didn’t have nightmares for steeds I imagine we might have kelpies, if Lucia could ever persuade it away from the river. They’re rather beautiful, but even more ravenous than the nightmares – and unfortunately not as intelligent.” But they were more beautiful, though she’d never tell Marius or Sulla that.

“Can we maybe not talk about those things? Now I don’t want to go near water,” Johann said, and Alucard snickered at his desire to change the topic. The things in the water didn’t worry Alucard.

~***~

No, the sun wasn’t that important – obviously, Lucia was living without it, but it still earned a mirthless smile from Lucia. She was quite tempted to snap something back, of how preserves weren’t that important to Sypha, but bit down on it. People learned to live without luxuries, or wants. It didn’t mean it wasn’t missed or desired. It remained important, but explaining that…well, it was a lesson for another day, when Trevor had learned a bit of how to accept loss, in general. Just because it was gone, didn’t make it less.

The sun would always remain important as another thing Lucia just couldn’t have.

Besides, she didn’t want to linger on it, and Trevor seemed less inclined after his statement. He was more interested in thinking of the perks of snow, and Lucia did smirk, “I’m not sure you’ll succeed in hitting him unless he’s distracted,” which might not be difficult, “Might want to make sure he’s talking to Aveline.” If Trevor hadn’t seen it yet he was blind.

Of course it moved on to others, and the smirk remained as he seemed to think he could get her. “Try.” Definitely a challenge. “I can’t turn off vampire reflexes though, but I suppose I can turn off my magic,” reflexes? Nope. He would have to live with that. That wasn’t something she could actually stop. She was going to instinctively move quickly out of the way of something, she didn’t know how to slow those reactions down to be like a human’s.

It had been a while since she’d been in a snowball fight, though not as long as some may have thought. Living in a snowy climate had its perks. “Though…last time I was in such a thing, it was because a kid decided to start one,” she chuckled a bit at the recollection, “During the light festival, I’d come out…I believe he was dared to do it by his friends. You can imagine his surprise when he didn’t get yelled at or chastised.”

It became a snowball fight instead that took in many people, young children and drunk adults alike. “I did have to hold back a bit,” she shrugged it off. Obviously she wasn’t going to pelt a kid so hard with a snowball. And maybe her accuracy had been a bit off. “Considering that…I suppose I could go easy on you, since you don’t think you’d win otherwise,” she said, wondering if Trevor might reconsider his restrictions based on his pride.

" You can't swim?" Sypha asked Alucard with a raised eyebrow. She suppose that made sense, vampires were weak against running water, but with his Dhampir nature protecting him from most of the limitations vampires faced and just the sheer amount of knowledge he possessed she had expected him to know how to swim. She knew how to swim after all, and anyone that lived around bodies of water generally knew, even if it wasn't totally common amongst the people yet. " What do you do if you need to cross a deep river but there is no bridge? Just hold your breath and walk across the bottom?"

Aveline laughed hard at the mental picture of Alucard walking stoically across the bottom of a lake or river, it would probably save him time instead of having to go around but gods it was funny to picture.

" You shouldn't be laughing, you sound like you know how to swim but don't because you're afraid," Sypha quickly turned on her, and Aveline stopped laughing to pout.

" Evil lives in the water!" She insisted and pulled her legs to her chest. Danica had just listed off tons of things she didn't ever want to run into, because in the darkness of water anything could be waiting for them and they couldn't fight back. None of them could breath under water, and their movements would be slowed down. There was no defending themselves against any number of things, magical or not, if they were dragged into the water.

" Evil lives everywhere," Danica pointed out easily as she looked over her work on one of the gloves, it had come out well and now she only needed to make it's partner match as well. "On land, in the sea, the skies, towns, even if the forests you love so much."

" Apparently evil even lives in this shack,in the form of a certain speaker magician who threatens to set peoples cloaks on fire and teases others about their height." Aveline added, but Sypha blinked innocently and pointed at herself like ' who? me? Evil?'

" I'll remember that when I tell our story to the speakers," Sypha teased, " You should all be nicer to me, you're all going into history by the end of this. I could easily tell the speakers the embarrassing things about all of you, and they'd be remembered forever."

Aveline quirked an eyebrow and playfully pulled on Syphas ear, " Oh is that so? I assume if you tell them the embarrassing things about us then you'll also be telling them about your addiction to preserves. Oh and the way you drool in your sleep."

Sypha playfully smacked Avelines hand away, " I don't know what you're talking about," She insisted, " But I do know I could easily tell them about your fear of water, and the silly nicknames you gave everyone when you were drunk off of cream in a potato soup." Syphas smirk grew, " Or maybe about you're crush-"

Realizing what Sypha was about to say Aveline sprang forward to cover her mouth, but brought both of them to the floor in the process. " Why did you do that?" Sypha huffed slightly, but went over what she was saying in her head and realized where she had almost messed up. " I was going to say your crush on every blond person you see?" Sypha tried to cover up with a sheepish chuckle.

" How about you stick to the facts when you tell our story," Aveline suggested as she laid on top of Sypha and poked her cheek playfully, " or you tell embarrassing things about more than just me? I mean we know Johann has worn skirts before and Alucard has left at least a couple face shaped holes in walls."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trevor let out a playful gasp hearing Lucias suggestion to get Aveline on his side, " That would be fighting dirty," but a grin took over his features, " I do love fighting dirty." He wasn't above using Alucards soft spot for the fae girl to his advantage, and honestly with how the two always stole each others attention he probably wouldn't even need to ask Aveline for help, which was for the best. She'd probably ask for all his vegetables again.

Lucia accepting his unspoken challenge kept that grin on his face, a little bit of fun for all of them would be good. It would take their minds off of what was to come, and god only knew how much he needed that right now. With no booze to cloud his thoughts he'd eagerly accept even something like a snowball fight to keep his mind occupied. " You got nailed with a snowball by some kid?" He chuckled. Lucia had to of let the child do it, like she said she couldn't turn off her reflexes, and he liked the thought. " Do you have a secret soft spot for children I don't know about?"

She was so regal and graceful, he didn't think that meant she got along well with children, but now that he thought about it she had mentioned visiting Draculas castle for years and she had known Alucard for most of his life. It was possible he had softened her up, and suddenly he was curious what stories Alucard had of Lucia from his childhood. Maybe he could remember her making some silly faces at him or something.

" It sounds like if a child could hit you with a snowball then I won't need you to go easy on me." He said as he pulled on the ropes keeping the pelts on the carriage, there was no give at all. They wouldn't be coming down unless someone wanted them down.

" but you have to admit using shadows is cheating," It wasn't like they all had magic they could draw on, and he was only human. He, Danica, and Johann wouldn't have the advantage everyone else would have, though he suppose he could definitely use his whip to knock some snow down off of branches or maybe destroy some snowballs before they could hit him. "And if i'm being honest, I half expect Sypha to freeze a ball of snow into a block of ice and chuck it at me," he laughed. It was a joke, he knew the speaker would never try to hurt him on purpose but they did pretend to dislike each other to a certain degree.

" Consider this my warning though, i'm going to nail you tomorrow," His smile faltered, his eyes going wide for a moment before he was coughing to clear his throat a bit. " With snow I mean. Tomorrow i'm going to hit you with a snowball."

Alucard did offer a nod to Sypha’s query, confirming that he couldn’t swim. “Fortunately, I haven’t had that issue come up yet, though I suppose I would try to find a way around it,” walking across at the bottom did not seem like a good idea to him. He was fairly certain he’d drown before he got across. Water would likely impede his ability to move quickly, if at all. It was a risk he didn’t want to take.

Aveline did seem to get a get a kick out of it, and Sypha was the one to chastise her on his behalf, for which he chuckled a bit at the argument between the two about all that was within water. “Danica is right,” he noted. Evil was everywhere – upon the ground, in the sky, in the trees, even in their dreams given the Nightmares. There was no real way to avoid evil – though he supposed a portion of evil could be avoided by not going in water.

And yes – possibly in Sypha. Johann failed at not laughing, especially as Aveline pulled Sypha’s ear in what he could only imagine was a mildly painful fashion, before quickly shutting her up before she revealed something of the crush. Johann was quick enough to try and save her, “You mean her obvious crush on you, Sypha,” Johann smirked, “I mean, now you’re on top of her, just tell her already, Aveline!”

Danica laughed a bit to recover her own poise in the situation. She’d almost wished she had a knife at hand so she could hit the back of Sypha’s head with the end of one to get her to shut up. “Don’t worry, we fully support you. We don’t judge Lucia for liking girls, we’re not going to judge you for blondes, or blonde girls,” Danica added gently, as if she needed that kind of reassurance.

Sypha batted her eyelids up at Aveline, deciding the best way (and the most fun way) to remedy her mistake was to play along, “Aveline, is it true? I thought you liked the other blondes better! I mean, Alucard’s hair is sooo long and silky, and Johann has such a cute baby face!”

“Keep it up and I’m just going to go outside and join the adults,” Johann huffed, folding his arms over his chest. At least he was pretty sure Lucia and Trevor were more sane than this group when they were all together, though he knew the pair of them could also fuel the fires of this insanity, too.

“You’re still condemned to the kids table with us, Johann,” Alucard stated as if it were a fact.

~***~

Secret soft spot? Lucia shrugged at the query, “I’m not going to be needlessly mean to a child,” though she supposed joining in their shenanigans was also not necessary, it was fun, and the kid had taken a risk. Somehow it seemed only fitting to reward it. The child had a memory that survived his life of how he’d gotten a regal noblewoman to join in a snowball fight.

At least it got her back her reflexes against Trevor. If she played as she had with the kid, it wouldn’t have been so fun against this group. They could hold their own well enough, they deserved to be pelted with snowballs properly.

She hummed lightly as he pulled on the ropes, finding no give. It seemed the business with the pelts was done. They’d have to go back into the cabin soon and find out what ridiculous topic they were currently missing out on once again. “I don’t have to admit anything, I also fight dirty,” Lucia smirked, “if it gets you to victory, it’s not cheating at all – but I’ll still refrain from using shadows.”

Shadowstepping gave her a definite advantage for getting out of the way, as if her speed wasn’t enough.

When he added his warning though, it initially went over her head – context sticking – but when Trevor coughed and let his eyes go wide, she realized the other meaning immediately and laughed at his attempt to clarify the meaning. She managed to bite down on the first comment that came to mind, ‘You’d have a better chance with the first thought.’ Because that was absolutely going to lead to a discussion she’d have to step herself back out of, without lying, and that would be impossible.

“Sure you did, Trevor – that’s why you had to clarify?” by tone she clearly didn’t believe him, but she kept the playful smile on her lips as she gestured back to the shack, “We can blame the cold, you keep coming out here. Good thing I gave you your cloak back,” it was a suggestion they had back in as she moved towards the door, “Though…regardless…you’re going to need quite a bit of luck to nail me.” She didn’t specify with a snowball or otherwise. Trevor’s thoughts would be to blame if he read the other meaning into it, and her own small hopes that needed to be burnt, because rationally she still considered this was not something she could pursue.

But…it was still fun.

Aveline rolled her eyes when Sypha batted her eyelashes at her and pulled herself up off the speaker. " While it's nice to know you'd all support me if I did fall in love with a woman," Something very possible since gender never mattered to her when it came to being attracted to a person, " I just don't think we would work out Sypha."

It was Syphas turn to clutch at her 'wounded' heart, " It's because i'm not as blond as Johann and Alucard isn't it? Curse my strawberry blond hair."

Aveline laughed and found herself sitting down near Alucard, but instead of telling a real reason why they probably wouldn't work out she decided to play along. " Yes, you've figured it all out. Find a way to lighten your hair color and then maybe we'll talk."

" How swallow of you. Breaking my heart over hair color."

" It's not just because of your hair color, but it's nicer of me to say it's because of your hair instead of the fact you're too much of a tease. If I tried to hold your hand you'd tease me to death."

Johann laughed, the title of 'child' Alucard had reminded him of cast aside for the time, if it meant finally teasing Sypha instead of being teased by her then he wasn't going to pass the chance up. " She'd tease you for trying to be romantic, but threaten to light you on fire for not being romantic enough."

Sypha rolled her eyes, but the fact she didn't try to defend herself did say a lot. " My teasing is delightful, and my threats aren't that often. Plus I mostly threaten Trevor."

" Poor Trevor," Aveline hummed, " I imagine being the younger brother of 7 sisters got him a lot of teasing growing up, and then he meets you. He truly can't catch a break."

It was in jest but truthfully Trevor and Sypha seemed to have a wonderful friendship going, they looked out for one another and worked well together but their relationship was more than a working one. If Aveline grew up with siblings she imagined their friendship would remind her of brother and sister. Still she couldn't help but think of the hard life Trevor had had up until this point. When they all got together he had to of thought life truly wasn't in his favor, a vampire hunter forced to work with a vampire and a Dhampir.

" I don't give him that hard of a time," Sypha crossed her arms over her chest and cocked a defiant eyebrow, " Besides I joke with him. He and Alucard looked like two tom cats hissing at one another for the first couple weeks we were traveling." If anyone was really testing Trevors limits then it was Alucard, the two were from two opposite ends of the spectrum and in a way reminded her of oil and water, even if now they had mellowed out and gotten used to one another

Danica hummed in agreement, " For a while I was worried we'd have to break up a fight between them at anytime." That first week had been a tense one for everybody.

The double meaning hadn't been intensional, but maybe it had been in some secret way that even he hadn't consciously meant. But once he realized what he said and how it could be taken he also realized that he was getting in deep. Admiring Lucia was something he had easily allowed, he did admire capable people since they were so hard to find and they had both bonded to a certain degree.

His time with his group was helping him grow, his mind was expanding and the emotions his memories brought up were being confronted but to really be at this point was shocking. To acknowledge, even if it was to himself, that he liked Lucia romantically was hard but the fact she was a vampire was honestly the least complicated part of the problem. It was easy to understand that she was a vampire and he the last living member of the Belmont family of vampire hunters. What wasn't easy to understand and work through was all his issues with long term commitment and bonding. He had only ever had flings because he didn't want to get close to someone, when you really started to care about someone that was when they were taken from you. And that horrible empty feeling his missing family left behind had never healed it had only gotten numb over the years, but he knew if he lost someone he cared about or even loved that pain would be fresh and raw and new.

He also knew that if anything started between him and Lucia it would be more than a fling, he had agreed to travel with her after all this was said and done after all. As long as he didn't fuck things up with booze then that would happen, he wouldn't have a way out if he got that attached to her. That was scary, to know he was flirting with more than the possibility of a fling but instead of something long term. But the possibility of finding something fulfilling was very tempting.

Lucias hidden meaning wasn't lost on him, and he felt a bit of hope in his chest because despite these complex feelings he did like her. He wanted a sign that these feelings weren't something one-sided.

He followed her to the shack door, but before he pulled it open he looked over his shoulder back at Lucia. " We Belmonts make our own luck you know. You should keep that in mind," He teased, cheeky smile on his face before he opened the door and motioned for her to walk in before him. He was raised a noble, even if that status had went up in literal flames years ago, he knew how to be a gentleman.

“You’ve threatened to burn him or set something of his on fire at least seventy times on this journey. I haven’t,” Alucard pointed out, even if he was well aware of what everyone meant. He and Trevor had not gotten along at the start, and he still felt like there was some thin ice around Trevor.

Perhaps it was of his own doing, given he wasn’t certain how much he truly trusted Trevor, and he was concerned not only for Trevor slipping into his old habits, but of Lucia being hurt by it. He hardly knew how she felt for Trevor, in truth, but he knew she didn’t risk her health for just everyone. “Alucard, you know you haven’t been easy on Trevor – and you’ve meant it.” Danica pointed out.

Alucard wouldn’t deny it, “Forgive me if I wasn’t so inclined to trust a member of a family who hunted vampires indiscriminately and looked ready to kill me when I woke. Even without his alcoholism he was already untrustworthy.” Though that now seemed in check, and Alucard’s worries were lessening, bit by bit. “I admit he has improved.”

“Oh so it’s all on him, hm?” Sypha teased back.

“I’ve done nothing wrong.”

“You didn’t do anything right, either.” Johann said, and Alucard shot him a look, finding the phrase strange. It couldn’t have been one the hunter thought of himself, even if he said it so casually, and he was reminded again of the way Johann did have such self-confidence, even if he was one of the easiest ones to pick on in the group. He was rather self-assured.

He could have commented on it, but the door opened, blowing in snow and the two ‘adults’ who had been outside.

~***~

Trevor wasn’t the only one thinking that he was getting in deep. Even Lucia was aware with her own thoughts playing out words she wasn’t speaking, that her time with him wasn’t ruining his image. She couldn’t hate his stubbornness, or his need to check in on her. His ability to bribe the Nightmares was endearing, and his teasing comments and that damned cheeky grin of his – the one that had her scowl right then, albeit faked, were ruining her.

And Danica wasn’t going to talk her out of it. Damn the luck.

The others didn’t seem to be chattering about anything inane as Lucia left Trevor’s comment alone to walk in, letting him be the gentleman for the moment. “Okay…you all look guilty.” Lucia pointed out, “What did we miss?”

“Aveline’s confession of having a crush on the other two blondes that aren’t me,” Sypha pouted, “and calling me a tease!”

“You don’t show nearly enough leg to be a tease.” Lucia said, breaking the momentary tension she hadn’t been certain of the cause with that comment.

“See! Lucia doesn’t think I’m that bad!” Of course Lucia didn’t know they were referring to other teasing, but either way – Lucia was on her side, and Lucia walked further in this time, going to sit by Danica in spite of the fire. She didn’t want to linger by the door and tune out conversations when it’d do her better to get lost in them and not her thoughts.

“You don’t tease Lucia much, either,” Alucard pointed out, “It’s still Trevor and Aveline you tease most of all.”

“Trevor…you don’t think I’m that bad, do you?” Of course, that innocent look was back in place.

And maybe a bit of fire on her fingertips.

" Oh you're horrible," Trevor quipped easily. He didn't know what they were talking about but he knew that innocent look on Syphas face, and fire on her fingertips or not he wasn't going to pass up teasing her.

Johann and Aveline immediately broke out laughing, especially when Syphas jaw dropped. " You're all horrible to me!" she huffed and threw her hands up in the air, trying to wash her hands of the group and their teasing. " the only people here I can truly trust are Danica and Lucia." Neither of them had been so savage to her.

" That's because you've never teased either of them, once they see your true colors they'll join us." Aveline giggled and pressed her hands to her warm cheeks, it was either from the warmth of the shake or because she was just having such a wonderful time but she was feeling a little warm. She pulled her cloak off and sat it nearby, enjoying much cooler she felt.

" Better enjoy that while you can," Trevor pointed out, already standing in front of the fireplace and trying to warm up his red hands. " It started snowing outside just before Lucia and I came in."

Sypha whined, winter was truly upon them but since she was also used to traveling in a covered wagon she knew that once you got cold it would be pretty hard to get warm again. " Goodbye being warm, hello runny noses and shivering under pelts." She was suddenly even more thankful that Trevor had promised her the best of all the pelts he was working on. Even with magic she would probably need all the help she could get.

Johann whined too, even If Chernihiv was much colder that didn't change the fact that cold was cold.

" Don't be like that you two," Aveline chuckled, " Imagine all the fun we can have in the snow instead." Immediately the idea of a snow ball fight, roasting treats over the fire, and wintertime tales came to mind.

" Not all of us can turn into fur or feather covered animals to stay warm," Johann groaned. Lucia already wasn't affected by the cold so her owl form didn't matter that much, but Aveline and Alucard also clearly weren't as affected by the weather but for some reason they still had animal forms that would be able to stand the weather better than the rest of them. It didn't seem fair in the least.

Aveline nodded sheepishly, she couldn't change the fact that if she got cold she could turn into a fox and cuddle up with someone, but she gasped happily when an idea came to mind. " We should wait until the snow gets deep enough and make a snow Vampire. Or would we call it a Snowpire? Maybe Vampman?" She trailed off. The name was up for debate but the fact of the matter is they could make a snow man, drape some long tree branches from it to give it a cloak, and use some nuts for fangs effectively created a Snowpire.

Sypha’s outcry was amusing, and Lucia did imagine at this rate Sypha might never tease her or Danica, if she wanted to retain her so-called allies. The whining about winter was also amusing, though Danica was the one to chuckle, not Lucia, “It’ll be warm in the carriage with all of us,” she reminded.

Lucia just groaned internally. They were all going to end up cuddling together and she wanted no part of it. She wanted her corner of the carriage in peace. It wasn’t like she produced much warmth, anyway.

Aveline also tried to cheer them up, but she couldn’t do a good job – she could turn into a fox, much as Alucard could turn into a wolf. “Feathers aren’t that warm,” Lucia noted, not that she really knew, but she never felt any warmer as an owl. “For the record, I’m not turning into an owl so we can find out.” Johann had a gleam in his eyes.

“There’d be more room in the carriage.”

“It’s my carriage!” Lucia could hardly believe Johann was trying to use that, though she did laugh a bit at the audacity. “No, absolutely not.” Thankfully the topic turned as an idea popped into Aveline’s head, and both Lucia and Alucard arched a brow.

“Why can’t we just make a snowman?” Alucard asked. “I don’t see anything wrong with that.” He also wasn’t sure what a ‘snowpire’ would entail, for that matter.

“Snowmen are boring, vampman sounds more fun!” Sypha said, “But oh, what would we use for fangs?”

“You’re close to losing your ally, Sypha,” Lucia threatened, hardly serious, but still…vampman? Really?

Sypha did seem to debate for a moment…but then quickly went to siding with Aveline and discussing this activity, and others they could do in the snow to try and lift their spirits about the upcoming weather, even getting Johann a bit happier about the thought of venturing out into the cold, until he realized he stayed up all night again…and so did Danica.

Alucard would end up with most of the shift that day for driving the carriage, seeing as he didn’t need sleep. Danica would only stay with him a bit to get started since it was always difficult getting started in the snow, if only because the flames of the nightmares actually became flames and they didn’t like being hooked up.

They had to dim their fire so it wouldn’t burn the entire carriage.

The snow did make the trip a bit slower, but they still progressed and found places to rest along the way, until eventually the sight of the village reached them.

It was close enough to night that Alucard did stop the carriage at that point, and he did shift to take the form of his wolf to examine the village closer, before he would return as the sun set, to find many had piled out of the carriage in spite of the warmth within the car, “Well?” Johann asked Alucard from under his blanket, shared with Danica.

“The village seems abandoned,” Alucard noted, “We could go towards it and find shelter, but,” he managed not to look at Trevor, “We could also just stay here as well. Either way, I do not believe we’ll be finding any opposition there.”

“Or preserves,” Sypha pouted. She had gotten her hopes up too high for preserves and she knew she was going to regret it. Danica gave her a sympathetic look.

“We sh-should probably head to the village,” Johann knew it might be a sore spot for Trevor…but he was cold. And he wanted to go inside walls, where they could have another fire and get warmed up. He didn’t even want to think about their supplies right then.

The trip was long and boring, all that happened was the falling of snow and the passing of time but Aveline had enjoyed a nap as a fox curled up in the seat beside Alucard since the roof was still being used to haul around the pelts. But despite the others piled inside the carriage sharing blankets and trying to stay warm Aveline had enjoyed running around in the snow with Veidr, who was easy to pull into the fun. By the time Alucard pulled the carriage to a stop in front of the village Aveline was still romping around through piles of snow, being a fox certainly had its perks and her thick fur kept her warm.

She stopped her hopping around to stand as more of a guard around the carriage as Alucard disappeared to examine the village, but as the others stepped out she retained her fox form if only to stay warm. Plus the head scratches she got from Sypha were wonderful.

Alucard returned with news, but it was news Trevor wasn't certain how he felt about it. Moving forward into the village was logical, they needed shelter for the night and they were already here, but inhabited or not the village had memories for him. He would be lying to himself if he acted like he hadn't seen this coming, he knew that once they got to this town they were likely to spend the night here, they always stopped at towns when they were given the opportunity.

" If we want to get everything set up then we better get into town before it gets too dark," Trevor tried to make this seem like any other town, hoping that if he didn't dwell on it that things would be easier, but as everyone returned to the carriage and the nightmares pulled them through the towns gates he felt something heavy settle on his shoulders.

Something didn't feel right about this place, but he just shook his head and looked out the window, that was probably just him being dramatic and the others wouldn't take it seriously. Hell he didn't take it seriously and he was the one with the weird feeling in his gut.

Coming to a stop in front of one of the houses in better shape everyone stepped outside again, they had work to do if they were going to get everything set up before it got too cold, but the excited way Avelines small fox form dipped into snow banks before popping out somewhere else didn't go unnoticed. Veidr enjoyed bouncing around in the snow trying to guess where she was going to pop up next, but he never seemed to get it right.

" How come we don't see you do that?" Sypha teased Alucard then nodded towards Aveline. " Dogs always seem to enjoy the snow and Wolves and foxes are still part of the canine family, you could be out there playing with Aveline." Sypha didn't comment on the fact Aveline should be helping everyone unload things for the day, but she did playfully nudge Alucards side. " No need to be so restrained with her, she brings out a happier side of you. There's no shame in indulging yourself a bit."

Both the conversation and promise Sypha had made to Aveline last night was still fresh in her head, but the promise she made to herself about dealing with Alucard was also very fresh, and she couldn't think of anything cuter than two pining halflings playing around in the snow together.

Trevor paused in untying the pelt racks from the top of the carriage, Alucards head was looking like a very tempting target. As silently as he could he packed together some snow into a ball, then caught Lucias attention with a wiggle of his eyebrows and a cheeky grin. He held up the snowball a bit to show her, words weren't needed to tell her what he had in mind.

By the time they had reached the village, the days that had passed allowed for Lucia’s skin to return to its natural hue, even using animal blood over that period. The chill didn’t bother her, so she didn’t steal anyone’s blanket, though she had put on her red cloak once more which stood out rather starkly against the snow. She was just as amused with Aveline as the others, though almost moreso with the nightmares who clearly kept wanting to flare up.

As they stayed in place, the snow around them began to melt rapidly.

Lucia didn’t return to the carriage when they decided to move forward – after all that time cooped up, she preferred to walk along with it to the village and help scout a good place to rest for the night. From the houses, it looked like the place had abandoned a few years, at least. There would definitely not be any preserves for Sypha.

When they finally came to a stop, Lucia did assist with bringing some things out of the carriage to bring into the house, which was thankfully easy to get into. It was as she was coming out of it after bringing in some of the pots for cooking, that she heard Sypha teasing Alucard.

And Alucard, who noted, “I’m not actually a wolf, Sypha,” he also was fairly certain wolves weren’t that playful, and while there was a part of him that was tempted to shift forms and jump into the fun, he couldn’t convince himself to do so with the audience they had. He’d never live it down. It wasn’t Aveline that kept him so restrained.

That, and they certainly needed to take in supplies. Aveline could have her fun. He wouldn’t disturb that nor fault her for it, as he tried to pull out some of the wood they’d gathered from before that was a bit drier, better for kindling. He knew Sypha could help to dry off any wet wood they had to gather, but to get things started, this was preferred.

Still, he did pause to enjoy it as Veidr missed finding her again when she popped up nearer to the nightmares. He chuckled a bit, “And she has Vei—”

Alucard had been distracted, and Lucia was able to keep quiet as Trevor threw the snowball at Alucard’s head. Alucard whipped around, the wood he’d gathered dropping, to find Trevor with a too-amused and too-smug look on his face…and Lucia, laughing behind her hand. She might not have thrown it, but she clearly saw.

He didn’t reply with words, just dipped down immediately, formed a snowball, and hurled it at Trevor, before reaching to get a second for Lucia – who already dashed around the carriage.

“Eh? Guys we still have to put—” Johann was about to complain about the snowballs given there were still supplies to bring into the house, but one hit the back of his head, from Lucia, “Seriously?!” His response was just laughter, and he grumbled a complaint before smirking, “You know I’m the ranged person here!” He said before deciding to get his own snowball together.

He couldn’t believe this from Lucia.

From Trevor, yeah – he was probably looking for an excuse to hit Alucard with something, why not a snowball?

The snowball finding its target wasn't unexpected, trevor had decent aim even when he wasn't using his whip, but god was it still satisfying to watch. He pumped his fist a bit and didn't even try to look innocent, even if he hadn't done it he was certain Alucard would of blamed him for it anyway. " You need to lighten up a bit, blondie."

His goat was met with Alucard throwing a snowball at him, but Trevor rolled out of the way maybe more dramatically than needed given what was going on, but there was something thrilling about this. He raced to the side of the house they had chosen for the night, using the wall as cover as he premade a few balls.

Poking his head around the corner Trevor launched a ball at Sypha, but well aware that a snowball fight was happening she was prepared and dodged out of the wall. Behind her Aveline let out a startled cry, she had been minding her own business when she was hit. Shaking her fur free of the snow she turned around and quickly realized what was happening, she wasn't going to miss this.

She disappeared into the snowbanks again, only to reappear behind a near by tree so she could shift back in peace. She had barely made her first snowball when a ball hit the side of the tree. " I missed!" Johann whined, apparently throwing snowballs was different enough from using a crossbow that his aim was off- even if it was only by a few inches. Aveline gasped playfully, it looked like she couldn't trust anyone in this snowball fight.

Aveline threw a snowball back at Johann, and honestly since his leg was hurt he didn't have the best mobility so dodging was hard. It was too easy to hit him, but she wasn't going to keep him out of the fun because of that. Another snowball came at her, but Veidr jumped out and blocked it. " Veidr!" Sypha huffed, that seemed like cheating. Aveline shouldn't have her own personal walking barrier, that would be like using the nightmares and their flames to keep yourself safe.

Trevor took advantage of the fact Alucard was trying to hit Lucia with a snowball and launched another at him, but the Dhampir dodged now tha the was aware people were trying to hit him. Looking out in the field Trevor locked eyes with Lucia, he hoped they could work together and maybe get Alucard again, then nodded his head towards the blond.

Pulling up another snowball he waited until Alucard was busy making another snowball, but instead of throwing his ball at Alucard he actually threw his ball at Lucia, hoping their fake little alliance had lowered her guard enough for him to get her like he promised he would.

But Trevors betrayal hadn't saved Alucard, because Aveline nailed him with a snowball from her place behind a tree, and she laughing into her hand at the look he gave her.

" What are you all doing?" Danica stepped out of the building, hands on her hips, and a curious eyebrow arched. She had wondered why the supplies had stopped coming in. There seemed to be a pause over the battle field, before at least three snowballs were thrown at Danica. She took each hit with dignity, but a smile grew on her lips. " Oh so that's how this is going to be!" she laughed before running for cover.

“Tch.” Alucard’s complaint came under his breath but he was quick to form together another snowball to throw at Lucia after hers connected with Johann in the hope it would strike her, but she was fast and all too attentive to the situation – she stepped out of the way too easily, and Alucard was reminded that she came from snowy wastelands as she scooped and threw another one at him, which he managed to dodge, as others got involved and snowballs started to be thrown from so many directions.

It was quite chaotic – but at least Sypha hadn’t gone into total war mode yet and started to magick snowballs – she was at least playing fair, and seemed to think it was better that way as she complained of Veidr taking a hit for Aveline. “That is cheating!” Alucard chimed in, “No magic, no shields!”

“That goes for you, too!” Johann said, only to be nailed by someone. He hadn’t quite seen who, but he growled under his breath and decided he needed better cover with his leg as it was.

Alucard seemed to remain a main target, though – Johann watched Trevor aim at him again, before seeming to try and get Lucia in on it. Johann thought he might stand a chance at hitting her while she was distracted – but that was when the hit from Aveline came.

Lucia, for her part, had been thinking much the same as Trevor – there were no alliances in snowball fighting, and the thought of playing along to trick Trevor crossed her mind, those same dirty fighting tactics in mind. She’d packed her ball with eyes on Alucard, but turned at that last second to throw it – only to see Trevor had thrown one at her. “Ha!” She barely avoided it, a wicked grin spreading over her lips, “Et tu, Brute?” As if she hadn’t been intending the same. She hurled her own at him quite aware he’d likely dodge it, before rushing from her spot to another.

She fully intended to play the game of using her agility and throwing quick snowballs at him to her advantage – to keep him turning after her before she’d just rush in close and drop a snowball on his head. At least, that was the plan – she was trying to make sure she didn’t tune out the others, but she was aware that Johann seemed to be looking to disappear from sights. It would be just her luck to get hit by Johann of all people.

And throw one at Danica, of course, when she came out. She was definitely among the three who did that, turning briefly from her onslaught at Trevor to hit Danica.

Alucard, however, had seen that both Trevor and Lucia seemed to have him in their sights again – and expected to have to deal with them, so he sought cover from their direction, only to end up in the path of Aveline’s snowball. He paused and shot her a rueful look, even if it was difficult to hold in place while she laughed.

At least Sypha seemed to take the opportunity to throw a snowball at Aveline while she was cackling, and Alucard took note of Danica. Perhaps it was cruel…but he threw a snowball at the knife-thrower, too, fairly certain she’d be able to hold her own in this.

In fact, she seemed to enjoy the idea as she lifted her skirts to seek cover, and Alucard took up a few more snowballs, cradling three as he crooked his arm and held it against his chest to balance them. ‘Trevor. Lucia. Aveline.’ Those three were going down.

Lucia seemed to be trying to deal with Trevor, who was among those who had yet to be hit – Sypha and Lucia were in that group, as well, if he was keeping track well.

Alucard was counting on Trevor being frustrated by Lucia moving about that he wouldn’t notice the snowball thrown at him, before he sprinted to get around the tree and throw one at Aveline, not waiting around to see if his snowball hit Trevor or not.

" Veidr did that on his own, you can't blame me!" Veidrs loyalty was sweet, even if It wasn't needed right now. He was protecting Aveline from snowballs, not deadly arrows, but there seemed to be something in his eyes that said he wanted to play too, and she couldn't deny him that. Gathering up a large handful of snow she playfully smashed it over his head, and laughed at the way he shook the snow off. After that he bounced away, he looked interested in trying to grab snowballs out of the air which was very endearing for an old fae spirit dog.

After Veidr Alucard was her target, and her shot landed despite the look he gave her after. But in a moment of weakness she was nailed with a ball by Sypha, and Aveline shivered at the way the cold snow found a way inside her cloak and slide down her back. " Worth it," She decided before diving down behind the tree for cover before assembling a small armful of snowballs, if she didn't have to reload as often then she figured she stood a better chance of landing her shots.

Barely dodging Lucias snowball Trevor barked out a laugh, " Great minds think alike," he suddenly felt like he was part of a special kind of triumvirate, though the stakes were certainly not as high as the stakes Lucia was involving herself in. Now wasn't the time for that kind of though, this was just them having fun and relaxing for what could possibly be the last time for a while.

Leaving the cover of the house Trevor dodged behind a tree near the carriage, then ducked down to fill his arms with snowballs. With Lucias quick movements he would need to coax her into his balls. Throwing them at where she was wouldn't work, but if he threw one ball where his was and then another immediately after where he thought she was going to move to then he gave himself a chance of landing a bit, but he had to remember to stay on the move as well.

From somewhere someone threw a snowball at him, and if he wasn't so quick he would of ended up with a tail-end covered in snow. " Careful!" he called out onto the 'battlefield' " That's my money maker!" and from where-ever she was hiding Sypha let out a large groan.

Aveline let out an 'eek!' when a surprise snowball hit her, and here she had been confidant that no one could get her behind her tree! Immediately grabbing her armful she spun on her heel to see just who had thrown that ball, and her eyes landed on Alucard. " Was that payback for earlier?" She asked him with a cheeky grin, playfully tossing a snowball up in the air and catching it as she spoke.

If she was certain of anything it was that Alucard had made a dangerous mistake when he crossed over to this side of her tree. Maybe there were rules to this snowball fight but if Lucia was using her vampire agility and speed to get things done, then Aveline didn't see why she couldn't as well. She threw two balls quickly back to back, but huffed when only one of her balls clipped Alucards shoulder.

Grabbing another snowball a memory came to mind, she and Alucard had talked before about who was faster hadn't they? Guess it was time to find out if that was true. " I'm going to shove a snowball down the back of your shirt before this is over," She teased before pushing away from her tree and chasing after him.

A small pile of snowballs on the ground and another couple in arm Trevor boldly stepped out from behind his tree and easily spotted Lucias hiding spot, her red cape was a dead give away In the crisp whiteness that was this snow covered village, and he threw a snowball her way, hoping to get her to step out. Then he threw another, hoping she didn't expect him to track her movements like this. But it wasn't like it was cheating for him to use his hunters knowledge in this, he couldn't turn off his strategic mind just like Lucia couldn't turn off her speed.

But for all his planning Trevor had taken the risk of stepping out from behind his tree, and two snowballs hit him from two different locations. Trevor, always the dramatic, fell back against the tree and playfully patted at where he had been hit like he was bleeding out.

From his hiding place Johann cheered, but was rewarded for his team work by Danica betraying him and nailing the young blond hunter with a ball seconds later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back