Other Can Someone Explain to Me Why "Hamilton" Is so Hyped up?

Count Gensokyo

Super Smash Bros. Melee is a Fair & Balanced Game
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Is it the "all tracks are raps and no singing" gimmick? The "historical scenario played out in a postmodern, easier-to-understand-for-the-audience deal?" Or is it the hype culture itself blowing it way out of proportion? From what I've heard, it was OK-to-good and not exceptional like the hype would have you make it out to be.

If I may offer my 2 cents.

I listened to the soundtrack months ago. I loved it. I saw the broadway a few weeks ago. Meh.

Personally, I think the music is good. Great, even (but I also like 21 Pilots). Lin-Manuel Miranda's style is easily recognizable. There are many verses that I find clever or funny and a few I find inspiring! The song called Non-Stop comes to mind. I honestly think Lin's whole mostly-rap and some-singing flung into a historical setting is what makes Hamilton stand out. Especially since Hamilton's plot isn't majorly depressing. After all, the other really popular historical broadway is supremely depressing so Hamilton is a nice change.

Honestly though, I do not think the live performance lived up to the music. I can't quite explain it but seeing all the actors and dancers on stage somehow undermined the whole thing. It felt less dramatic and sometimes, even a little forced. Dance routines were also pretty repetitive in a way that felt more like an amateur mistake rather than some sort of visual motif. It's hard to explain.

TLDR; overhyped to hell as a broadway show imo but still harbors a great soundtrack that I think many people latched on to because the style of music is pretty refreshing compared to other well-known shows (ESPECIALLY considering many Hamilton fans aren't theatre geeks that have been exposed to lesser-known shows that may have a similar sound).

Lin Manuel-Miranda tried to have the musical influenced by hip-hop since he felt Alexander Hamilton and his stories related somewhere to hip-hop if they were to be SONGS. They're hyped because of how many "scandels" and "events" that happened in Hamilton's lifetime.

If I may offer my 2 cents.

I listened to the soundtrack months ago. I loved it. I saw the broadway a few weeks ago. Meh.

Personally, I think the music is good. Great, even (but I also like 21 Pilots). Lin-Manuel Miranda's style is easily recognizable. There are many verses that I find clever or funny and a few I find inspiring! The song called Non-Stop comes to mind. I honestly think Lin's whole mostly-rap and some-singing flung into a historical setting is what makes Hamilton stand out. Especially since Hamilton's plot isn't majorly depressing. After all, the other really popular historical broadway is supremely depressing so Hamilton is a nice change.

Honestly though, I do not think the live performance lived up to the music. I can't quite explain it but seeing all the actors and dancers on stage somehow undermined the whole thing. It felt less dramatic and sometimes, even a little forced. Dance routines were also pretty repetitive in a way that felt more like an amateur mistake rather than some sort of visual motif. It's hard to explain.

TLDR; overhyped to hell as a broadway show imo but still harbors a great soundtrack that I think many people latched on to because the style of music is pretty refreshing compared to other well-known shows (ESPECIALLY considering many Hamilton fans aren't theatre geeks that have been exposed to lesser-known shows that may have a similar sound).

Of course its repititive, it's influenced by HIP-HOP.
And it's good that non-theatre geeks are getting into this stuff! It opens their view and it shows that Lin Manuel-Miranda has a talent of bringing in the unexpected crowd

Because it's a rap musical performed by an exclusively black ensemble about the most famous bunch of rich white guys in America's history.

And the music is good.

it's a rap musical performed by an exclusively black ensemble about the most famous bunch of rich white guys in America's history.

On an unrelated note, that really makes me wonder why people are so up in arms about the casting of Scarlett Johanson in Ghost in the Shell. Isn't that basically the exact same kind of situation?

Of course its repititive, it's influenced by HIP-HOP.
And it's good that non-theatre geeks are getting into this stuff! It opens their view and it shows that Lin Manuel-Miranda has a talent of bringing in the unexpected crowd

Yes, of course! I did not mean to imply that non-theatre geeks getting into this stuff is a bad thing at all! If anything, I'm ecstatic that broadway has made a bit of a comeback amongst my peers thanks to Hamilton. And honestly, even if I didn't find the live performance as great I still think Miranda deserves all the compliments constantly thrown his way. He's talented, he really is.

Makes me wonder if it would be worth my time to look into In the Heights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back