Advice/Help Can anyone help me out in creating a small lockdown plot?

kevintheradioguy

Salt
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
So, I am narrating a game, and there's a small subplot of a town on a lockdown.

Originally it had to do with an accidental murder of a visiting noble's daughter the paranoid father took for assassination, and demanded the lockdown until the killer is found... it was an ironic one, seeing how said father grew her to be a fiery big-headed lass, who only dressed up in working clothes, and started challenging people in a tavern that eventually got her stabbed to death, and the body dumped into a river... However, as I thought of it, this was a perfect backstory to one of important NPCs I was introducing, so the idea was scrapped in favor to the NPC.

But since then, I have been struggling with a small plot for this lockdown. Anything I came up with was whether dull, and I didn't like it; or it was a force the players cannot fight, and I'd like for them to have a chance on taking this 'quest' and finishing it. Since the appearance of the town is no more than five posts away, I am beginning to panic a little, as the lockdown was established at this point, and I don't want to go back. Therefore, I wanted to ask for any ideas/inspirations you had yourself, or directions to take you think might do best.

Few things about the town/universe that might help:
- Post-fantasy. No magic left, neither a lot of races, gunpowder was invented, steam power is at its beginning, no oil is present (or discovered anyway) in the world.
- God was real, it is dead now, thus religions aren't as dire and "theoretical" in this world. They mostly just try to theorise and figure out what had happened to their god instead of promising salvation or keeping people in check. The town in question is under the religious goverment.
- Medicine, literature, and culture are extremely developed in the world.
- Routes for travels, safety outside the city walls, etc. are extremely undeveloped in this world.

I mean, honestly depends on your players and what they're doing in this situation. Are they citizens stuck in this town? Are they outsiders stuck by chance during the lockdown? Do they wanna free the town?

I would recommend finding some way to make the lockdown personal somehow. Perhaps there actually is a conspiracy going on behind the daughter's death and the party is taking the fall for it. Now they're fugitives, and their goal is to break down the conspiracy and clear their names a la Dishonored. Of course, more morally minded players would also be invested in helping the people of the town. If you go with that idea, totally tell me when it comes to fruition. I'd be so interested.

I would recommend finding some way to make the lockdown personal somehow. Perhaps there actually is a conspiracy going on behind the daughter's death and the party is taking the fall for it. Now they're fugitives, and their goal is to break down the conspiracy and clear their names a la Dishonored. Of course, more morally minded players would also be invested in helping the people of the town. If you go with that idea, totally tell me when it comes to fruition. I'd be so interested.
But the daughter idea was scrapped in favor if another, more personal plotline! Daughter thing would be now a backstory of a follower, more or less... gee, I hope they don't read this forum, thus was a massive spoiler.

Since I posted, I struggled, but they reached the town the day before yesterday, and I quickly threw in a murder if a local religious leader in a locked room.

What if you have some sort of haunting? Location would be up to you, prison, mansion, church, anything really. I think it could be a good way to introduce the reminance of magic the world once had while possibly giving clues to what happened to the god since it's a religious government and what not.

What if you have some sort of haunting? Location would be up to you, prison, mansion, church, anything really. I think it could be a good way to introduce the reminance of magic the world once had while possibly giving clues to what happened to the god since it's a religious government and what not.
But... there is no magic, and...

Since I posted, I struggled, but they reached the town the day before yesterday, and I quickly threw in a murder if a local religious leader in a locked room.

C:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back