• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Calling-Wood Forest [Low-Fantasy Dungeon Crawl]

UnhappyUnion

You have been summoned...

or are seeking death...

The 'Calling-Wood' is a recent phenomenon that stretches all throughout the world simply known as the Expanse.

It does not discriminate, nor does it pick favorites. It simply leads all it summons to their eventual doom...

Some lands see the summoning as a blessing, others a curse; no one truly knows the full extent of what the calling asks of them before it is too late. A few try to resist the urge to pursue the calling, but eventually the mania to follow the light presented by the gift of the seer-stone is far too great and the victim of the calling has two choice; to follow it, or take their own life - there is no in between.

The journey to Calling-Wood is short to some, far to others. The distance it can provide seer-stones and summon others is seemingly infinite. The Yamatans from the far east travel past their great walls, a journey that takes an entire year to answer the calling. While the dark eye'd Northmen only need to travel but a week.

Once one has made the journey, one can expect to meet a strange assortment of individuals camped outside of the Calling-Wood. Some astute business-minded people have even capitalized on making taverns, blacksmiths, and offering healing to those summoned. Many people fortunate enough to not be the first summoned understand how dangerous the Calling-Wood is and seek out others to join them; whether it be one other, two others, or several dozen others - company is welcome.

Then, when the threshold is passed, the only thing that will allow exit from the Calling-Wood is the Calling-Wood itself. The conditions to be freed are ill-understood, but it seems that one tried and true method to be freed is for one's group to obtain a powerful relic and successfully exit. These relics possess fantastical qualities, but all seem to have draw-backs, corruptions, and consequences ranging from physical mutations to the very twisting of one's soul.

And the path to these relics, or perhaps other avenues of escape, is rampant with danger. All manner of monsters thought to be fables lurk about, traps of horrific varieties, and even ones own past and memories will be weaponized against them.

However, not only the summoned challenge the Calling-Wood. Religious orders, adventurers, scholars, the hopelessly insane, also approach the forest's edge to extend their palms out to be given a seer-stone bound to them.

One thing unites both the summoned and the volunteers, once the forest has you, it will never let you be. One might make it through several expeditions into the Calling-Wood, but there will be no satisfaction, no peace. One will always venture in again and again until they meet their demise...

---

Hello! I am trying to assemble a group of interested folks who enjoy horror, grounded fantasy, and adventure. The world of Expanse is one made up of all sorts of cultures with their own goals, technologies, and ideas who have been brought from their own lands to work together (or against one another) in the depths of the Calling-Wood. Sorcery does exist, but only a few even tap into the arcane. Rather, people have focused on practical advancements and have made great leaps into black powder weapons brought from the lands to the east. Although, such advancements have not rendered a fine steel blade useless, or a reliable bow any less worthy.

Essentially, what I am looking for is people who want to play a variety of characters from many different lands that are forced to test their luck against the Calling-Wood and the number of surprises I have in store. I've been intentionally vague about what exactly might show up for a reason, but expect things to be dark. I plan on expanding upon lore, but I would like people to create original lands for their own characters to come from and maybe form spontaneous connections to others as we RP. I am more than willing to let others be creative and add onto things, but I also am trying to keep a low-fantasy theme, so these rules/guidelines are important!

Rules/Guidelines:

1.) I am looking to limit the amount of people with sorcery to two characters as a starting point. Sorcery is secretive, ill-understood, and volatile. I have no specific guidelines for how sorcery will be treated as to go with the theme of a wide world with their own methods, but it is generally safe to assume that sorcery makes one stronger than one without it. If you are interested in playing a character with sorcery, follow these guidelines when making your character sheet...

i. Make a source that fuels your characters magical 'reserves.'

ii. Have drawbacks from overuse.

iii. Make very defined and cemented abilities that your character has honed through years of training.

iv. Understand that having great power might make you a greater target for others and the Calling-Wood itself.

2.) I am willing to take on a great deal of players depending on how many volunteer, but no more than ten players starting out. If we move past five, then I will divide the players up into two different groups that will face their own trials (with the future possibility of meeting up or joining groups). I am pretty active and committed to roleplay concepts, so I am more than willing to give individual attention to characters attempting to do individual things.

3.) My posting requirements will be at-least once a week. If you need a break, then notify me and then I will figure a way that your character disappeared for a bit (got lost in the Calling Wood). However, if you do not post within a week without notice then I will have to write your character out of the story to allow others to move on at a reasonable pace.

4.) All characters are expected to be grounded in reality with realistic limits. Of-course, this is still a fantasy setting, so some leniency will apply, but do not make barbarians that become immortal through rage or a samurai that can deflect multiple arrows with a sword.

5.) Humans only please! I have some ideas for near-human races (such as the aforementioned dark eye'd northerners in the pitch) but avoid playing as elves, dwarves, and the like. That is not to say these things will not exist in this world, but they will show up in unexpected ways.

6.) If you have specific triggers, things that bother you, then please include them as part of your character sheet. I can work around some of them, but not all of them.

7.) Basic RP etiquette rules apply (no god-mode, power gaming, and so on...)

8.) Collaborate and do things in RP to lift one another up and emphasize each other. Don't try to just play within a bubble.

LORE THREAD (WIP): Fantasy - [Lore] The Calling Wood Forest

Last edited:
damn... i was interested up until the "humans only" part.

I'm potentially interested.

Thank you for stating your interest!

damn... i was interested up until the "humans only" part.

I am a firm believer that the variety of culture one can portray with humans is far more interesting than making variety through a mixed bag of different species. I do have ideas for elves and what not, but they will be unconventional to say the least.

Thank you for your interest however.

I made a lore-thread that will be expanded upon as I continually work away at making a larger world, while also adhering to player suggestions and creations.

As a sampling to give prospective players a taste of the lore and world in greater detail, I will post what I have made for the 'Theocracy of Truth' a former empire now confined to a small section of the Northlands.

Overview:

The Theocracy of Truth, or rather the remains of which, was one a mighty empire that one time controlled all of the Northlands barring the northernmost forest containing the North Men along with a large swathe of the Midlands. The Theocracy of Truth now is a shadow of its former self, controlling the western most coast of the Northland stretching to the east about about 400 kilometers. At the end of this expanse to the east, is a wide mountain range known as the Eyes of God which acts as a natural defense against further invasion from rival Northern powers.

The Theocracy of Truth is characterized by two things:

i. Absolute authority by the Church of Eternal Light.

ii. All things done must be done in the name of Light (sometimes referred to simply as God)

These two universal truths about the Theocracy manifests differently in different locations of it, but remain lifelong principles to abide by. The coastal towns of the Theocracy are expected by the church to utilize their naval vessels to send out missionaries to spread the gospel of light, while also providing a flat ten percent of their income from trade to the church. Those born deeper inland, near the Eyes of God, are expected to turn themselves over for military service due to the lands further in being unsuitable for much farming outside of more durable crops such as potatoes.

Culture:

The Theocracy of Truth was once a multi-racial, diverse empire with all manner of people beneath it, but broadly speaking two main racial groups remain:

A large swathe of people with white hair, pale skin, and pale blue eyes that are features of those born near the mountain lands typically.

While on the coast, a dusky skinned appearance of people with brown hair is the common features.

The variation in appearance has given rise to two major cultural groups in The Theocracy of Truth: coastlanders (dusky skin and brown haired) and outlanders (pale skin and white haired).

Coastlanders and outlanders do not hold animosity towards one another in an outright manner, but they will not marry with one another due to a cultural divide in faith and perspective on life. The coastlanders are not xenophobic and believe the Eternal Light's salvation is for all people. On the other hand, outlanders are a fanatical group that believes only those born into the light are saved and conversion is not possible. Naturally, this makes coastlanders excel at trade, while outlanders make for vicious soldiers.

There exists a third culture, being The Church itself that resides over all, that maintains peace between the two distinct cultures. Members of the Church are carefully selected by the Church itself, vetted and trained through an extensive process, thus either coastlanders or outlanders are recruited, but the amount of brainwashing they are subjected to typically sees either group not resembling their previous culture outside of a few key personality traits.

--

The Theocracy of Truth, as it stands currently, has both clamped down on the severity of religious law and customs, but loosened up in other areas. The seventh day of every week is a day of rest, violating this outside of sanctioned reasons is punishable by forced labor. Slavery is no longer practiced within The Theocracy of Truth, but the greater empire use to have a thriving slave market at one time. As a result of this, some unofficial forms of slavery remain such as forced labor for those who violate religious law. Coastlanders typically have more lenient sentences for violating local law, while outlanders treat their own local trade laws and what not as extensions of religious law, making forced labor imprisonments much more likely if one was to commit a crime among the outlanders.

Men and women are regarded as equals within The Theocracy of Truth which was a radical concept when the empire came to fruition, but has since become a natural thought among the people of the Theocracy. Although, this is to not say that gender roles do not exist within the Theocracy. Coastlander women are broadly expected to have many children and live with their father until they are married, and even then some men move in with their wives family. The Coastlander generally feels that a woman's place is at home, helping her husband or father in their trade or business, perhaps learning about it, avoiding setting out on their own. Some local laws go a step further and do restrict property rights from being passed down to a daughter, favoring the sons, but this is not the norm among Coastlanders. One major taboo that is rarely breached is a Coastland woman enlisting in military service to the church despite the Theocracy historically having never a law against this - if a Coastland woman enlists in the military it is largely reflected as a failure upon their family.

Outlanders have a very different view on gender. A woman is typically expected to bear three children, one to replace the father and mother, and another to add another head to the overall population. Once she has done this, then she is expected to either enlist in general military service, or enlist in the Sisterhood of Light. The tough, fanatical people, have a very practical view that goes only skin deep most of the time. The belief is that all souls are one in the same, only judged by faith, so other restrictions on one's service to God are blasphemous. However, outlanders do hold close to a belief that man's lot is to take life, while a woman's lot is to create life which has altered some roles in how they manifest in the military. Women usually fill out non-combat roles, but do travel with the military, and will fill in should numbers require it, and men serve on the frontline to fight and die. Some women break the mold, but only if they excel as exceptional warriors.

Outlander women who wish to seek the thrill of battle in the form of hunting religious heretics would be better served volunteering for the Sisterhood of Light, which sees one of the rare examples of both runaway Coastlander women defying their own gender roles, and Outlander women joining in harmony under one banner.

--

The various major orders that exist within the Theocracy are: The Church, Shipwrights Brotherhood, Coinage Guild, Sisterhood of Light, and The Theocratic Military.

The Church: Simply named, but notoriously complicated, this organization is the acting government with the Grand One reigning supreme. The Church holds absolute authority in law making overriding local mayors and governors. The Church tightly controls the Theocratic Military and to a lesser extend The Sisterhood of Light. Within The Church, only a select few know the identity of the currently acting Grand One. Some heretical murmurs theorize the Grand One is not even human given no signs of election ever taking place despite it being an elected role, but others claim that the elections are simply kept secret and only high-ranking officials get a vote.

Shipwrights Brotherhood: An all male organization that acts as the navy, albeit loosely. The Shipwrights Brotherhood is an attractive option for young men due to the promise of adventure that sees them sailing out to distant lands to conduct trade, transport missionaries, and the like. Although, the side effect of this is many men leave faithful sailors, but return wild and rowdy, having laid with exotic women and learned of exotic faiths. This is why the Church has recently declared all returning vessels from trips longer than six months must spend one-month at port to be lectured and reconditioned back into the proper ways. Failure to do so will result in forced labor.

Coinage Guild: The Coinage Guild is the framework that keeps the Theocracy afloat as much as The Church would like to claim responsibility for that. This guild has been entrusted with mandating internal trade, internal coinage, and managing currency conversion. This is considered a major organization due to the fact that they also act as a secretive policing force, while also acting as ambassadors to foreign powers. One can expect to find a few people of foreign blood also being employed within the Coinage Guild.

The Sisterhood of Light: To all people of the Theocracy, even the Coastlander who would want anything other than their daughter volunteering for the sisterhood, this order are considered local legends and paragons of virtue. The Sisterhood of Light excel at hunting heretics, while also spreading charity and aid in not only The Theocracy, but also surrounding regions and lands, sometimes even sailing with Shipwrights Brotherhood to foreign lands to spread the good word, offer charity and healing to the sick, and to hunt heretics. They are rarely used in conjunction with the military as a frontline force, instead being used more akin to a policing force.

The Theocratic Military: A one time legendary military force to be feared, now a shadow of its former self. But that is to not say they cannot hold their own still. The Theocratic Military still remains a disciplined, stalwart force that were among the first to adopt muskets outside of the Eastlands, but now that their power has declined instead they utilize fast reloading crossbows in conjunction with large shields and spears. Unlike the Sisterhood of Light, no such merger between the two cultures of coastlanders and outlanders has been achieved, and the two groups are rarely in the same units.

Hello there! I’ve been craving some sort of adventure lately, and it looks like this is going to have a lot of worldbuilding for me to sink my teeth into! It definitely helps that there’s some mysterious, otherworldly forest at the center of everything. Tentatively interested for now!

Hi!!

K my gosh. Bruh. Like this is dark but yeah I'm interested.

Like if our charries gunna end up killing themselves anyways then Imma be prepped for that and see it thru!!

Lol me. Prolly be first charrie to off themselves.

I would be interested as well! I have a few ideas brewing just from reading the overview.

Hello there! I’ve been craving some sort of adventure lately, and it looks like this is going to have a lot of worldbuilding for me to sink my teeth into! It definitely helps that there’s some mysterious, otherworldly forest at the center of everything. Tentatively interested for now!

Hello, thank you for your interest. I will be building the world, perhaps with the help of others, up until the RP begins and during. The Calling-Wood itself with its reality-defying properties will also allow us to witness the greater world first hand without ever having to escape.

Hi!!

K my gosh. Bruh. Like this is dark but yeah I'm interested.

Like if our charries gunna end up killing themselves anyways then Imma be prepped for that and see it thru!!

Lol me. Prolly be first charrie to off themselves.

While suicide is a more than common end for those who defy answering the call, or those in the Calling-Wood who simply want a quick and easy escape, it is certainly not the only way for ones story to end. More often than not the Calling Wood itself kills its victims during expeditions. Hope is not lost though, perhaps there is a way to end the forest from summoning people? Maybe, maybe not.

Interested, a grounded fantasy world sounds like it would be fun

Thank you for your interest. I am happy to see others who share this sentiment.

I would be interested as well! I have a few ideas brewing just from reading the overview.

I would be more than happy to hear your ideas either in this thread or a DM.

Myself and my buddy Morgana La Fey Morgana La Fey are super interested!

Always happy to take on a pair of friends! You could do a concept where your characters have some sort of prior connection if you like.

---

Here is a general message to everyone! So, I have the broad idea for major cultures/nations who are summoned, but it will be a lot of work to give them each their own fair shake. I will be opening character sheets later today with the option to follow some brief guidelines to make your own homelands (that will sit in the Northlands, Midlands, or Eastlands) and will follow the general cultural themes from said regions while also working to add my own that players can use.

I will make a list of all the pre-set nationalities that I plan on writing myself with little descriptions along with a few other guidelines as-well.

So! I will make a character page very soon for those who want to get a head start if they want to make their own contributions to the world and make self-made cultures for their characters. I'll be a bit more picky with how people make their cultures because I am trying to make a certain theme.

I'll be a bit more specific when I get around to making guidelines, but each of the three regions you can make your culture/nation of origin in will follow this broad outline:

Northlands: European/East European resembling

Midlands: Diverse range from European, Mediterranean, African, and Arabic in inspiration.

Eastlands: Chinese, Mongolian influences with isolated pockets more akin to Indigenous culture.

Right now, I am working through writing lore for the Warring Kingdoms which is a section of the Northlands made up of many powers fending for themselves after the decline of The Theocracy of Truth. I've added it to the lore page as a WIP and it might be a good place to set your own cultures in. Here is a little sneak peak...

The Warring Kingdoms describes a region that formerly were holdings of The Theocracy of Truth that have found independence after the decline of The Theocracy. With their independence came several "kingdoms" with their own rulers, some still worshiping the same Light that the Theocracy enforced worship of, with others falling into the worship of pagan religions, and some have even attempted to established bulwarks of logic who hail no higher power and worship reason alone. Despite 'kingdoms' being included in the moniker to describe the region, many of the powers are akin to city-states, or a collection of smaller powers ruled over by a warlord.

Although, a few characteristics unite all the various powers of The Warring Kingdoms.

i. All of the powers are centralized, lacking intricate systems of mayors, governors, and other signs of imperial rule. Broadly speaking, many of the powers resemble or practice the feudal system with knights pledging their allegiance to a lord in exchange for land and serfs. The notable exceptions, such as The Bulwark of Reason, still have a very centralized and contained set of power. Some alliances, or protectorates have popped up, but still have not afforded any one power any greater sway to escape the endless war.

ii. The powers of The Warring Kingdoms have abandoned notions of equality that they were once religiously held when they were portions of the Theocracy. People have fallen into rigid rules that see women being considered at best a protected class of people and at worse second class citizens outside of a few small exceptions. These rigid rules are not necessarily the result of a malicious take over, but rather an unfortunate result of life declining into day-to-day toils to survive. Women cannot hold positions such as knighthood, own property, or even learn how to read due to the fear that some might try to flee west to the Theocracy of Truth, or perhaps even to midland seeking empowerment.

iii. Sporadic technological advancement and decline is another detail of The Warring Kingdoms. Many war profiteers from outside powers have made fortunes from selling muskets, cannons, gaseous bombs, and other technological terrors. The Warring Kingdoms is willing to trade any number of things, even trading off large swathes of women to eastern slavers, just to get any edge over their opponents. However, almost all of The Warring Kingdom powers have no means to consistently produce intricate creations such as muskets, leading to spontaneous declines in technology when their muskets have been rendered useless beyond repair, or their reserves of powder and shot have been exhausted. Some war profiteers even use the Warring Kingdoms as a testing ground for their creations.

Character thread is up! Feel free to use what I've written so far in lore, or put in a little extra effort and make your own nations of origin.

Owl Knight Owl Knight Tokoroken Tokoroken AI10100 AI10100 Shotgunpenguin Shotgunpenguin BuggaBoo BuggaBoo Mayali Mayali

UnhappyUnion UnhappyUnion

When it comes to who gets to be a sorcerer is it first come first serve or do we need a go ahead first?

Uh oh, I better hurry then if I want a slot haha.

Tomorrow, tomorrow I’ll hurry. Tonight’s a me night.

Uh oh, I better hurry then if I want a slot haha.

Tomorrow, tomorrow I’ll hurry. Tonight’s a me night.

No rush! I will be looking over all the applications and will try my hardest to pick the sorcerers that best fit the setting. Post order will only come into play if everyone nails the theme perfectly.

Question, where exactly is the Calling Woods located in the Northland? Or is it considered private land that's a separate entity from any kingdoms?

Cause one of my ideas was having a person who grew up on the outskirts of Calling Woods amongst the merchants and stuff

Question, where exactly is the Calling Woods located in the Northland? Or is it considered private land that's a separate entity from any kingdoms?

Cause one of my ideas was having a person who grew up on the outskirts of Calling Woods amongst the merchants and stuff

Great question and one that I should really get on! I did touch on it here in the lore but was not very specific.

"The Calling Wood Forest is located in the Northlands past a region known as the winding pass which is a land that remains unclaimed, with the remnants of ancient pathways said to have been laid out by the fabled human ancestor known to the north as 'elf-kin.' It is a region plagued by bandits, cultists, and all manner of trouble that has ended many summoned peoples' journey before they ever reached The Calling Wood. "

The Winding Pass is in the eastern-most region of the Northlands, out of the claim of any of the powers of the Warring Kingdoms and to the south of the northmen. So, imagine it is through an easternmost area that is an unclaimed forest region with mysterious ancient pathways and perhaps ruins littered among it. If you travel north far enough through this region, you will reach The Calling Forest that borders on where the northmen tribes stake their claims. Of-course, the Calling Forest is much larger on the inside than the outside, so it can be easy to miss if one travels not prepared.

It is essentially though its own land, surrounded by merchants and other people who have made a business out of those summoned.

Last edited:
Ooohh thank you, I honestly missed it in the lore my bad. But this extra information will help a lot in my brainstorming!

While suicide is a more than common end for those who defy answering the call, or those in the Calling-Wood who simply want a quick and easy escape, it is certainly not the only way for ones story to end. More often than not the Calling Wood itself kills its victims during expeditions. Hope is not lost though, perhaps there is a way to end the forest from summoning people? Maybe, maybe not.

---

Here is a general message to everyone! So, I have the broad idea for major cultures/nations who are summoned, but it will be a lot of work to give them each their own fair shake. I will be opening character sheets later today with the option to follow some brief guidelines to make your own homelands (that will sit in the Northlands, Midlands, or Eastlands) and will follow the general cultural themes from said regions while also working to add my own that players can use.

I will make a list of all the pre-set nationalities that I plan on writing myself with little descriptions along with a few other guidelines as-well.

K well still thinkin my ideas will still work then lol.

And are you gunna set up an OOC thread here or on Discord?

I'm considering writing up an herbalist but I haven't fully decided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back