• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy CAINHURST - OOC CHAT

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
I thiiiiinkkkk I'll probably write a wordy summary of how things would have (mostly) gone down, since it was gonna set up things for the future - then perhaps I'll just go on to Being Human; but I'll need a Co-GM as back up :3

I'm still around. Times are tiring, but I'll be back and ready to insult people that can kill me in a split second posthaste!

Death to the living

1hHxlmP.jpg

Hey all, plot summary incoming. This is a massive TLDR, that misses a BUNCH of stuff but I hope it gives you some enjoyment and closure on what would have happened in this story.

The Masked man was going to work behind the scenes to sow discord and mistrust amongst the inhabitants of Hollowvale. Cainhurst's rivals would be empowered by strange tomes and magical objects, The Church of Light itself would send a small force to the south to slay everyone in Gloomhaven, which would finally be repelled.

The group that was sent with Noire to Crowhaven would be attacked by a shadowy assassin, and during the hunt for this individual would come into contact with a mysterious information broker called Kaysen. In exchange for helping him obtain a rare book of languages from the Great Library, he would lead them to their targets lair.

Ulfric's paranoia would have grown to insane levels, he would have seen enemies in every corner. Eventually, (through the group that was sent to Crowhaven.) he would come into possession of a ancient Necrotome of the Old Magics - within lies the ultimate in Dark Magic: Undeath Ultima. I spell which would turn every living thing in Hollowvale into an obedient undead. It takes a significant amount of preparation and a full five days of unbroken incantation to cast.

Severa sends the other Cainhurst kids to Dawnfall - so that they might flee across the border if their father is as mad as she fears. Her brother decides to stay and help her. Unfortunately they both fall under the control of Ulfric, and become his unquestioning generals. They would have red glowing runes on their foreheads to show they're under control of another. They, along with Ulfric's remaining faithful - Lucrezia, Crow, Dusk and the majority of the BloodGuard - begin to make preparations for Undead Ultima.
The brother would be sent with a gigantic army to Dawnfall to bring the remaining Cainhurst children back to Blackrock.

A siege would begin that took place over several days. The siblings small force at Dawnfall against a overwhelming attacker. Matters are made worse when the masked man reveals himself within the walls and attacks the siblings.
Eventually the spell over the controlled brother is broken and the Undead under his command promptly join the rest of the siblings. They now have an army.
The Masked man is beaten back and defeated by Noire. He reveals himself to be named Hubris, and is nothing but an instrument of Hollowvale's destruction. Upon his death, he is revealed to not be a man at all, but a construction of magical origin. A doll. Similar to those Crow creates.

The siblings and their army march on the Throne of the Abyss - a great mountain from where Ulfric is performing his ritual.
A slow advance up the mountain begins, with their progress fought against with every step.
Disaster strikes when Severa - with control of the majority of Ulfric's army - appears out of nowhere behind the siblings main force. They are now caught in a pincer movement.

This would have been broken with Severa finally being defeated and her force adding to her siblings. The army now strong enough to overwhelm thr dark Lords.

Upon the summit of the mountain, a battle between father and child would have commenced - alongside a battle between Dusk and the two player Dark Maidens, if they chose to stand beside the Cainhurst kids.

Ulfric would have been defeated, his power mostly already drained by the ritual. At that moment, a familiar glowing rune would have appeared on his forehead. The rune of control - which was also used to control Severa and one of the brothers. The rune finally fades, and Ulfric looks around confused. He asks what he's doing there.

No one has the opportunity to answer as a gigantic spear of Dark Magic stabs through the Dark Lord from behind and he collapses to the floor.

Lucrezia would be floating in the sky. She would reveal that she has been working on destroying Ulfric and his entire empire for years, something she swore to do as a child when Ulfric stole her from her village - forcing her to turn her powerful magic on them in the process, including murdering her very own mother. Everything that has happened has been to her design - even the Cainhurst kids marching on the mountain, so that the entire bloodline would meet its doom at the hands of their own father. Lucrezia calls Ulfric a pathetic old man who can't even kill a bunch of brats. She is quite mad, but the Undead Ultima spell is complete, and increases Lucrezia's already great power to incredible levels. The siblings cannot do anything against her overwhelming power as Lucrezia casts the spell and everything goes black.

There would be a time skip.

Its two weeks later. The characters were saved from their doom by a mysterious dark power that pulled them into the void and deposited them safely many miles away from Blackrock. The Undead Ultima spell did not work as intended, as in a final moment of defiance, Ulfric threw his dark sword - Ninnel - directly at Lucrezia, hitting her square in the face. The momentary distraction caused the spell to not work correctly. Lucrezia is in control of every single undead in Hollowvale, but the spell did not convert the living.

Other the last two weeks the whole of Hollowvale has been under seige by Lucrezia's undead. Each city isolated from the rest, with Crowhaven surrounded by a wall of undead. Within, the situation is bleak - but one of the Dark Maidens reveals the mystery of their salvation.

There is a Demon residing beneath Hollowvale. The last of its kind. It is the source of the Dark Maiden's strength, as they offered their souls to it in exchange. It is called Ulamog. An Eldritch monstrosity of another era, that was brought low in a final battle against an Angel - who was himself the last of his kind. The battle was one of mutual destruction, but Ulamog endured in the pits of Hollowvale, greviously wounded and weakened, but alive. It would be revealed that Blackrock and the Cainhurst's kingdom is naught but a defense for Ulamog's nest deep beneath the surface.

Meanwhile, the Cainhurst children would have dreams of Ulfric's mighty blade Ninnel - seeing it half buried in the ground atop the Throne of the Abyss. It calls to them. A plan is made.

One party will seek the audience of Ulamog, in an attempt to leverage power against the Mad Queen Lucrezia, before she recasts Undead Ultima. The route beneath Blackrock is not an option, but there is a second way, deep inside the Marshes....
The second party will attempt to reclaim Ninnel - its power may well give them a fighting chance against Lucrezia.

The Cainhurst kids (except Severa who would travel to see Ulamog) find Ninnel. It is a gigantic greatsword buried in the ground, it whispers to them. Suddenly, they realise it is the voice of Ulfric. A imprint of his soul has been left on the blade. He tells them he was cruel in order to prepare them for the wars ahead, as he foresaw a terrible war that he would not be present for. He tells them he is proud, and that they must use Ninnel to cement their supremacy over the rest of Aether. But... He also says another has come to claim Ninnel, and they must prove themselves worthy.

The children would feel a tremendous energy approaching them - and the last word Ulfric would say is "beware".
A figure approaches. It is revealed to be Kaysen, who cheerfully introduces himself as thus. He says that Ninnel has also called to him, and the blade holds far more significance than they realise - and it would be a lot easier for them if they simply surronder the sword to him. Obviously they don't, and the Cainhurst's battle Kaysen. Who, even outnumbered is revealed to be incredibly powerful, and wielding a bow with Runes similar in design to Ulfric's Dread blade.

Kaysen tells them that Hollowvale is a doomed land, destined to fade - and asks if they still want to fight to defy their fate. A battle ensues, which ends in Kaysen noting his surprise when Ninnel breaks apart and reforms into several different weapons - one for each Cainhurst, each earning a significant power up in the process.
Kaysen does not seem to be upset, but impressed. He bows in defeat, noting that Ninnel has chosen them and there would be no point in continuing the battle. He bows and leaves.

Meanwhile, the second party has succeeded in traveling deep into the Wastes. Where no one has ever dared tread. The Undead Abyss is no where to be seen, granting them passage deeper and deeper into the Marsh.

Eventually they reach a ruined city. One that seems otherworldly. Towers of steel , lie broken and dissicated. A terrible wind blows through the streets which are riddled with strange rusted metal boxes on wheels. Faded signs showing human faces adorn many of its surfaces.

It is an ancient ruin spoke of only in legends. Oblivia.

The party walk into Oblivia, this strange city that seems out of place. One discovers a sign simply says "London" and they wonder what it means.

Eventually, they are led to an large metal structure in the centre of the ruin. Inside, lights suddenly turn on. And a voice begins to speak. It is a prerecorded message. It notes that they are "Unregistered Abnormals" but standard "quarantine procedure" has been overwritten. Another voice begins to play, this one far less robotic.

It says they were once a scientist working for Organisation dedicated to saving a doomed world from destruction. That this city originates in a dimension separate to that of Aether - but has long been connected to it. They discovered in time that the connection between these two realities was becoming larger and more unstable with a literal "tear" causing accidental Crossings between their world and ours, and that one day their entire planet might be swallowed into the void between our two realities. They tried hundreds of different solutions over the centuries only to fail, and finally began a terrible project to ensure that their species would survive when their entire world was pulled into our own.

The recording jumps and skips, making the details difficult to discern, but it is revealed the Undead Abyss that haunts the Wastes was this final failed project - once intended to be an amalgamation of their souls, designed to survive the crossing. But instead it became a feral force full of rage. The recording mourns the failure of the project, noting that they are the last ones alive and that things might have been different if their Director had survived.

At that moment the party would have been attacked by a mechanical monstrosity, that defended the area. The battle would have been a disaster, but at that moment a piece of Ninnel would have been given to Severa and the power given overwhelmed the machine.

Finally, they would have a audience with Ulamog. He whispers in their minds of terrible secrets, that "The betrayer" must be destroyed before her wrath dooms the whole of Aether, as her rage would not be dimmed by simply destroying Hollowvale. The Demon tells them that Lucrezia has become a rival to him, and must be destroyed completely - and offers the characters power and hope in exchange for their souls.

Eventually, the final battle would begin. Some players fighting against the horde of undead, others managing to infiltrate Blackrock and confronting Lucrezia.

There would be a terrible battle, where Lucrezia unleashes her might against them. But the power of Ninnel and Ulamog proves to be her match. The sight of her enemies standing despite everything drives Lucrezia deeper into her insanity, screaming for her mother - telling she it wasn't her fault and she did everything she could and that she didn't understand why everyone refused to simply die.

Eventually, in rage and madness Lucrezia transforms to her true form - one of Pride. An angelic demon of incredible power and the final battle would begin, ending in her defeat in their combined strength.

Reduced back to her normal form, Lucrezia would be on her knees, screaming and quite insane. Only then would a dark pool appear at her feet and shadowy hands would grab on to her, pulling her into the void. Olamog's voice would ring out saying her power came from the void, and to the void she would return - to languish in nothingness for eternity.

The battle would be over. Lucrezia gone. The Undead returned to the control of Hollowvale's inhabitants.

There would be a final timeskip.

Severa is now Queen, ruling over the wounded land. Proving herself a able leader as the land rebuilds. Olamog remains a terrible secret.

The story would end however, with the other Dark Maidens finally coming home and cheerfully reporting that they destroyed a Hinokian town to the west and slaughtered everyone inside - at the instructions of Lucrezia. They had not been aware of the situation in Hollowvale, and had followed her orders as a matter of course.

Severa would slump in her chair. War with Hinokah was now inevitable.

And that would have been the end.

There would be a prologue with Kaysen and another silver haired person - a woman - standing atop a hill overlooking Hollowvale. She reprimands her brother for not reclaiming Ninnel for their purpose, but Kaysen says it is better served in the hands of the Cainhurst's for now - but Hollowvale stood ready for the coming war. The sister accuses him of being sentimental and that they are nothing but agents of their enemy, to which he agrees but says there is nothing wrong with "a little hope"

She says she will return to Alcamoth, with Kaysen traveling to the west.

They go their separate ways, and the story ends

Oh, I did forget but there would have been a vision of Noire in the far future - where she is herself Queen. But not of Hollowvale, she's in Alcamoth with Paladins bowing to her.

There would be a meeting, with the Paladins noting that a terrible power has risen to the North, its form that of one of the angels of old.

Noire would have Shaken her head, saying "it can't be her" and asks where her children are, one of which rushes in to show her his wooden sword.

He's called Roland.

This made me so emotional, irofjeirh, dear god.
The twist with Lucrezia ; I approve, this summary. I just love it.
The children went through so much; I do kinda know or where Klyn ends up.

This made me so emotional, irofjeirh, dear god.
The twist with Lucrezia ; I approve, this summary. I just love it.
The children went through so much; I do kinda know or where Klyn ends up.

He was gonna be the one who could wipe the runes from Severa and the other brother, but I think I was gonna have a vision at some point of Severa stabbing the brother and attacking Klyn - so there coukd have been a "can we trust Sev" thing going on

Oh, that would make Klyn so broken, considering Severa is like the one who has guided them, looked after him and everyone else -
Questioning if he can trust her; levels of angst and reflections.
He'd do his best to break the runes and would risk every droplet of blood in his own veins to make that happen.

I literally screamed when I read the name Kaysen omg-

Also big excite for Being Human
Are we allowed to reuse characters from the first run uwu
like, I'd presume so because Roland but-????

I literally screamed when I read the name Kaysen omg-

Also big excite for Being Human
Are we allowed to reuse characters from the first run uwu
like, I'd presume so because Roland but-????

I'm unsure currently if I have the energy/and or time to run another RP, I just wanted to actually end this one so ideas weren't wasted. Aha..

If it happened, sure! They may have to have different histories though. There's no Shadow Queen.

I'm unsure currently if I have the energy/and or time to run another RP, I just wanted to actually end this one so ideas weren't wasted. Aha..

If it happened, sure! They may have to have different histories though. There's no Shadow Queen.
When you replay the campaign and choose a different route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back