• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Brushstrokes, Coffee, and I Think I'm Falling for You

The coffee helped a bit. Holding the mug gave her something to do with her hands than destroy the furniture. She was by no means an aggressive person, but Nadia managed to push her buttons, making her lose it from time to time. She paced up and down the small kitchen, trying to shake the restless energy lingering from her temper tantrum.
Teddy tilted her head, downing the rest of the coffee before putting the mug into the sink. She'd deal with that later.

She found herself in her room shortly after, putting away the mess of paint tubes, brushes, ruined water cups and painting knives. Whoever said painting was easy and fun was a dirty lair. It was messy, frustrating, expensive and took way to much time. Although Teddy would love to hate traditional painting with every fibre of her being, she had to admit it had something therapeutic. She never got a result she liked but the process could indeed be cathartic.
She glanced over her shoulder from where she was rearranging her canvases. Her metal easel was propped up in the middle of the room, to its feet were paint splattered newspapers.
She could tuck it away, make her room nice and clean, or... she could really go to town on a shitty cheap canvas and tire herself out. She pursed her lips.

Fuck it.

Teddy grabbed a small square canvas. She had bought it in the spur of the moment while shopping, but after being educated on what to look for in a canvas she now knew why it had been so affordable. She placed it on her easel and pulled her painting cart closer. She wouldn't waste her oils on this so she grabbed for the cheapest acrylics and started squeezing paint, which happened to be green, straight onto the canvas. With a palette knife she spread the colour around, it always reminded her of buttering her toast in the morning.

Another colour joined the green, dark blue. She mixed the colours together with broad swipes. She didn't know what she was going for but she'd find out sooner or later.
The tension left her shoulders as she circled through shapes and subjects.
First it was vertical stripes and abstract splashes. Then a white figure of something human. The human got a face, which looked over a boney shoulder accusingly. The person disappeared into a white cloud within a blue green sky. She added some purple, because why the fuck not? The cloud became a horizon, the blue swirls became waves and suddenly she was painting the sea. Adding lighter blues and even more white. Her strokes were big and rough, aimless, but it was the sea.
She'd been to the sea once, the northern sea.
She remembered the stone beach, the salty taste on her tongue and how it felt like she could breath for the first time. Cold mud between her toes, the sun warming her face. Wet tangled hair, a kiss pressed to her lips, it had tasted like french fries, fish, freedom and broken promises.
That was five years ago, but it might as well been eternity.

Her hand started cramping up. she lowered her brush.

After one last glance at the painting she gathered her brushes to wash them out.

By the time she had straightened out her room, taken care of all the supplies and done the dishes it was dark out. Nadia still hadn't shown up and this time Teddy didn't give a shit. She curled up on the couch, glad to have it to herself and caught up on some webcomics. She was reading the latest episode of 'Age Matters' when her phone chimed with a new message. She was ready to ignore it, expecting it to be Nadia but the displayed number made her perk up. The only unsaved number texting her she could think of was Grace! Suddenly more awake Teddy thumbed out of the WEBTOON app and over to her messages.

Hey! This is Grace from the party. Those muffins were incredible, it was hard to share them--I guess having a favourite barista really does have its perks.
Received 9:26pm

Of course it does! You don't even know about half of them! There's plenty more where that came from.
I mean, have to keep you coming back somehow ;)
Haha, anyways, how was your day besides waking up hungover, bumping into lil' old me and drinking coffee? Anything interesting?

Delivered 9:30pm

She hoped she didn't come on too strong, she knew she could be a lot, especially over text since she tended to lose her brain to mouth — or rather brain to finger filter.
Teddy actually considered staring at the chat until something happened, but that would be weird, so she switched to Webtoons again, she scrolled through the comic without really reading anything, watching the notification bar like a hawk.

Grace's foot tapped against the floorboards anxiously as her phone's black screen glared back at her. God, why was she so worked up over this? She was just being friendly, it wasn't like she was professing her love for the other girl.
The minutes of radio silence dragged on at an agonizingly slow pace, nearly prompting her to get up and make something to eat just to keep herself busy. Just as she sat up on the couch, her phone buzzed and Grace's head snapped towards the device, smiling as the screen lit up with a notification. She ignored the inner voice that was telling her how pathetic she was being, picking up her phone and reopening her messages app.

Of course it does! You don't even know about half of them! There's plenty more where that came from.
I mean, have to keep you coming back somehow ;)
Haha, anyways, how was your day besides waking up hungover, bumping into lil' old me and drinking coffee? Anything interesting?

Received 9:30pm

Grace pinched her lower lip between her front teeth and smiled, affectionately scrunching up her face at the text. Without much thought, she began to type.

Say no more!
Careful what you wish for though,
you'll never get a break from me at
this rate... (;
Oh, nothing too exciting, I went on a
bit of a cleaning spree just now,
while Anja's out getting groceries.
I love her, but organziation is not her
strong suit, lol. How about you? Have
you....talked to Nadia? You're not still
working, are you?

Delivered 9:36pm

Grace gave a satisfied nod as she hit send, letting her head fall back against the couch cushions with a sigh. Speaking of Nadia, she was reminded of the fact that she'd been avoiding most forms of social media throughout the day, trying to steer clear of any drama surrounding the previous night's events, but curiosity was slowly getting the better of her. After a few moments, she opened Snapchat and scrolled through her mutuals' stories, clicking on a few that she knew had attended the party while she awaited a response.

Last edited:
Her phone buzzed and Teddy scrambled to tap back into the app. Technically she knew that this didn't make her seem any less eager than just staying in the chat and waiting. Who was she kidding, she was way too excited over a damn text message. There was no use denying it.
Teddy tapped Grace's name and scanned the message, chewing on the inside of her cheek.
She smiled and wiggled her feet into the space between the upholstery. She snagged a pillow to sink into and grabbed a blanket before curling closer to her phone screen to type.

Say no more!
Careful what you wish for though, you'll never get a break from me at this rate... (;
Oh, nothing too exciting, I went on a bit of a cleaning spree just now, while Anja's out getting groceries.
I love her, but organziation is not her strong suit, lol.
How about you?
Have you....talked to Nadia?

You're not still working, are you?
Received 9:36pm

Well, maybe that's exactly what I want, who knows?
Although on a second thought, if you were around all the time while I'm working I'd probably be so distracted I'd lose my job in a matter of weeks lol
That's funny, I actually just sat down because I finished cleaning up. My room was especially bad after the last assignment.
Did you have to do a series of still life paintings too?
Mr. Portz assigned them, I'm pretty positive that we don't share any courses but maybe you know him?

I'm good. Oh and I'm home btw. I'm amazing but getting people their caffeine fix while texting at the same time isn't a skill I've mastered yet
I haven't really talked to Nadia yet, mostly because she hasn't come home yet.
Don't worry! She's not missing, just hiding at her boyfriends'.
I'm lowkey pissed off, because she will just ignore this until it has blown over and not take any responsibility.
But oh well what can you do ya know? Have you checked social media yet? If yes, how bad is the fallout :/ ?
Sorry for writing a novel, oof
Delivered 9:43pm

Teddy leaned back a bit, tempted to check Instagram and snapchat herself. For some reason she didn't. She'd thought this kind of stupid drama ended with your high school graduation, but apparently not. Grace would probably need a few minutes to reply to that text wall of a message. Teddy should really learn how to keep her messages short.

She sighed and opened the Amazon app. She should get her stepbrother a birthday gift, better sooner than later so she wouldn't forget. It was embarrassing, but Helen was right, without the reminder it might have slipped her mind. She kind of hated herself for it. Sure she wasn't the best stepsister, but at least she was trying her best. Forgetting birthdays however? That would have been a whole new low.
Her fingers hovered over the search bar. What the hell did 13 year old boys like anyways?

Grace tapped through the various stories, most of which were just videos of students she vaguely recognized getting completely wasted, dancing, yelling, or some combination of the above. She paused with her thumb hovering close to the screen when she swiped over to Leon's story. The one memory she had of the boy came from the university's orientation week, where they'd been put in the same group and forced to interact with one another. Beyond that, she hadn't seen him much around the school, but she'd heard enough about him to know that he wasn't someone most people were very fond of. Grace wasn't one to participate much in rumors or speculation, nor did she care to know him better, so she simply left it at that.

Grace let out a small groan as she made her way to the end of his obnoxiously lengthy story. If anyone had posted a video of what happened last night, she guessed it'd be him--and she was right. Sure enough, near the end was a video of the altercation between Nadia and Anja, with a German caption she had trouble translating. Next was a photo of Grace herself breaking up the fight with a thumbs-down emoji and more German she didn't care to try and read crossing the screen.

Rolling her eyes, Grace sighed and clicked out of the story, then the app altogether. She was once again reminded of why she disliked social media so much--it was far too easy for the wrong kinds of people to get their hands on potentially problematic content. Also, keeping up an online persona was frankly exhausting--she hardly had the energy to pull herself out of bed and get to class most days as it was. That being said, she still enioyed the validation of posting and receiving likes and comments as much as the next person--probably more than she would've liked to admit--and thus maintained an account on Instagram herself, as well as some other apps.
Her relationship with social media was...complicated.

Just as Grace went to open Twitter, her notification bar popped up with a new message from Teddy. She switched over to her message app at an almost embarrassingly swift pace, opening Teddy's chat. Grace raised her eyebrows at the wall of text that greeted her, but was smiling (and blushing) nonetheless when she began to read what the other had sent her.

Well, maybe that's exactly what I want, who knows?
Although on a second thought, if you were around all the time while I'm working I'd probably be so distracted I'd lose my job in a matter of weeks lol
That's funny, I actually just sat down because I finished cleaning up. My room was especially bad after the last assignment.
Did you have to do a series of still life paintings too?
Mr. Portz assigned them, I'm pretty positive that we don't share any courses but maybe you know him?

I'm good. Oh and I'm home btw. I'm amazing but getting people their caffeine fix while texting at the same time isn't a skill I've mastered yet
I haven't really talked to Nadia yet, mostly because she hasn't come home yet.
Don't worry! She's not missing, just hiding at her boyfriends'.
I'm lowkey pissed off, because she will just ignore this until it has blown over and not take any responsibility.
But oh well what can you do ya know? Have you checked social media yet? If yes, how bad is the fallout :/ ?
Sorry for writing a novel, oof

Received 9:43pm

Oh stop it, you! <3 Fair point I suppose...
but think of all the business your shop would get with me coming in to see
you everyday! How could you pass up
such an opportunity? C;

Heyyy look at us go, being all productive and ishhh ((: Ugh, I feel you on the mess, girl. And yeah, we didn't have that assignment, but I do recognize the name. I think...Anja might have a class with him, actually.
We did, however, have an assignment due Friday in which we had to paint in a style we were least familiar with. I chose expressionism,
and it actually turned out a lot better than I was expecting! Go me.

Cool! And fair enough, that would certainly take some extreme
multi-tasking skills on your part (;
...Oh. I don't know her well enough to make any real comments...but I will say it
takes a lot for Anja to get that riled up--even with booze involved. Are you guys...close? If so, I hope you can sort things out. I'm sure Anja would be willing to make amends, depending on how Nadia feels.
Yeah, I have checked some places, it seems most of the kids were too drunk to care much about posting. So far I've only seen one video and of photo of myself, which is pretty good considering the crowd...unless someone's, like, saving an especially ugly picture to blackmail
me with later on? Lmao, who knows ;P

(Ugh! I thought we'd leave this kind of drama in high school, lol).

And... don't worry, I think I have you beat for length. Not that we're competing or anything (;

Delivered 9:54pm

Grace let out a breath as the text sent, navigating back to Twitter distractedly as she tried to convince herself that she wasn't painting the wrong picture of herself in Teddy's mind. She glanced up as Anja entered the flat, kicking the door open the rest of the way and struggling inside with an armful of paper bags. Grace grinned and shut her phone off, springing up to help the other girl while she imagined Teddy reading her text.

Teddy started at the search bar some more before gingerly typing in 'fortnite'. She knew Dennis loved the game, it was one of the few things they ever talked about beides memes, anime and school. Well, when it came to fortnite they didn't really talk', it was more Dennis's excited chatter about stuff Teddy didn't get while she hummed or nodded in agreement. Point being, fortnite would definitely be a safe gift, plus Helen despised the game so that was nice too.
The site loaded and Teddy scrolled down. There was pretty much everything imaginable.
Clothes, blankets, water pistoles, something called V bucks, Figurines, trade cards, action figures..
One by one items joined her wish list for later comparison. She had 8 potential gifts when the notification popped up again.
Tongue between her teeth she grinned.

Oh stop it, you! <3 Fair point I suppose...
but think of all the business your shop would get with me coming in to see
you everyday! How could you pass up
such an opportunity? C;

Heyyy look at us go, being all productive and ishhh ((: Ugh, I feel you on the mess, girl. And yeah, we didn't have that assignment, but I do recognize the name. I think...Anja might have a class with him, actually.
We did, however, have an assignment due Friday in which we had to paint in a style we were least familiar with. I chose expressionism,
and it actually turned out a lot better than I was expecting! Go me.

Cool! And fair enough, that would certainly take some extreme
multi-tasking skills on your part (;
...Oh. I don't know her well enough to make any real comments...but I will say it
takes a lot for Anja to get that riled up--even with booze involved. Are you guys...close? If so, I hope you can sort things out. I'm sure Anja would be willing to make amends, depending on how Nadia feels.
Yeah, I have checked some places, it seems most of the kids were too drunk to care much about posting. So far I've only seen one video and of photo of myself, which is pretty good considering the crowd...unless someone's, like, saving an especially ugly picture to blackmail
me with later on? Lmao, who knows ;P

(Ugh! I thought we'd leave this kind of drama in high school, lol).

And... don't worry, I think I have you beat for length. Not that we're competing or anything (;

Received 9:54pm

Mhhh, you as eyecandy to get more customers.. maybe I should talk to my boss... ;)
Yep, Anja and I share his class, that's why I know her, she never mentioned you to me though (such a shame!)

Nadia tends to bring out the worst in people, can't say I'm surprised tbh
We live together so we're close whether we like it or not. Honestly she's not the kind of person I like to surround myself with. She's decent when it's just the two of us, and sometimes she can be really kind it's almost shocking, but she goes from 0 to 100 real quick. Also the fight situation isn't exactly uncommon :/
but besides Anja and Thomas (and now you I suppose) I don't have anyone here in Berlin. I have a shitton of acquaintances but like no friends.. yikes haha I'm working on it tho :)
I'd love to say Nadia will come around but I'm positive she won't. I'll apologise to Anja, on my and her behalf, I'm not sure what else I can do, I'm so tired of this crap (the Highschool thing is so true, adulthood is a lie!)
Wow, I expected the worst with social media, so that's nice. I can only really check Snapchat and Twitter and I don't have many peoples snaps so I'm usually kinda out of the loop until Nadia forces the hottest gossip down my throat.

Maybe we should start writing prologues and dedications with how long our messages are lol
This is kinda random but would you be interested in joining one of the uni's sport courses together? I've been thinking about it for some time. There's lots of options, like every sport imaginable, even yoga and dancing.. that could be fun? Lemme know if you're interested??

Delivered 10:00pm

Teddy hit send and dropped the phone on her chest flopping back into the cushions. She stretched her neck and stared at the ceiling. Maybe it was to soon to ask her to join a sport class together. It was kind of a odd request even for Teddy. But I was a great excuse to spend time together and Teddy needed to pick up some kind of exercise anyways. She used to go jogging, but it was a hell of a lot different to run in Berlin compared to the countryside where the only judging looks came from cows and horses. Yoga was supposed to be very calming and healthy, two things every student here could use. She flopped around on the couche some more and felt her back crack, she winced at the sound. Yup, she definitely needed to exercise again.

"Jesus, how did you even manage to carry all of this home by yourself?" Grace grinned, striding over to the door left ajar by Anja's entrance and closing it. "Your arms are like little noddles, no offense."
"Okay, harsh...also," Anja panted between exaggerated breaths. "Been...working out...remember?" She grinned.
"Ah, yes. Queen of Fitness," the brunette replied, joining her friend by the island to help unpack. Both girls snickered at the comment and set to work, though Grace's mind had already begun to wander to a certain blonde girl.

The pair worked in content silence for a while before Grace's phone lit up with a notification, catching Anja's eye. The taller girl perked up immediately, remembering the earlier discovery on the coffee cup.

"Soooo," she smiled, picking up a bag of ground coffee and pretending to examine it. "Have you, by chance, spoken to this dreamy, mysterious barista girl yet? You didn't lose her number again, did you?"
Grace rolled her eyes at the last comment, shaking her head with a small smile. She knew she'd regret sharing that information with Anja.
"Shut up, I was hungover as fuck," she groaned, crumpling an empty grocery bag and tossing it at the other girl's head. She couldn't help but smile at the thought of Teddy though. Already, her cheeks were turning a light shade of pink. "Well...alright. We've been chatting for a bit tonight, yeah," she confessed, nodding. "She's really chill, I think you'd like her. Goes to school with us too, I think she's our age. You might know her from...Portz's class?" Grace went on, leaning against the counter. "I don't know, I think she had the same assignment as you or something. Her name is
...Teddy."
Anja raised her eyebrows. "Oh my god, Teddy--like, Teddy Neumann?" she gasped. Grace offered a surprised expression and shrugged, prompting Anja to continue eagerly. Her smile widened with excitement. "Blonde...great skin...gorgeous blue eyes...enviable painting skills...amazing fashion sense?"
Grace grinned slightly and glanced away, her cheeks darkening further. "I mean, that sure sounds like her alright," she nodded, tracing her nail over the countertop absently. She giggled. "The way you describe her...if I didn't know you had a boyfriend, I'd think I had some competition," she added playfully, quirking a brow at the taller girl.
"Oh no, girl, she's all yours. I'm not into blondes, but I can appreciate beauty when I see it," she explained, wearing a giddy smile like she just cracked the secret code of Grace's love life. "I must say, you have exquisite taste in women, dear Gracie."
Grace rolled her eyes and crumpled another bag, pulling her arm back threateningly.
"Don't tempt me, Becker," she warned, now smiling just as wide.

_____

Grace was soon back on the couch, feet kicked up on the arm rest, unable to wipe the smile from her face as she read over her new message from Teddy.

Mhhh, you as eyecandy to get more customers.. maybe I should talk to my boss... ;)
Yep, Anja and I share his class, that's why I know her, she never mentioned you to me though (such a shame!)

Nadia tends to bring out the worst in people, can't say I'm surprised tbh
We live together so we're close whether we like it or not. Honestly she's not the kind of person I like to surround myself with. She's decent when it's just the two of us, and sometimes she can be really kind it's almost shocking, but she goes from 0 to 100 real quick. Also the fight situation isn't exactly uncommon :/
but besides Anja and Thomas (and now you I suppose) I don't have anyone here in Berlin. I have a shitton of acquaintances but like no friends.. yikes haha I'm working on it tho :)
I'd love to say Nadia will come around but I'm positive she won't. I'll apologise to Anja, on my and her behalf, I'm not sure what else I can do, I'm so tired of this crap (the Highschool thing is so true, adulthood is a lie!)
Wow, I expected the worst with social media, so that's nice. I can only really check Snapchat and Twitter and I don't have many peoples snaps so I'm usually kinda out of the loop until Nadia forces the hottest gossip down my throat.

Maybe we should start writing prologues and dedications with how long our messages are lol

This is kinda random but would you be interested in joining one of the uni's sport courses together? I've been thinking about it for some time. There's lots of options, like every sport imaginable, even yoga and dancing.. that could be fun? Lemme know if you're interested??
Received 10:00pm

Sorry, Anja just got back with groceries, had to offer my assistance. As for that plan of yours...hey, I'm always glad to help (;
Yeah, Anja actually connected the dots herself before I even saw this. She spoke really fondly of you, I don't think you need to worry about apologizing too much lol. She gets over stuff really fast, she's not one to hold grudges so I wouldn't worry.
As for Nadia...that's understandable. I've had tons of friends who used to act the same way, but sometimes you just gotta take what you can get when it comes to who you hang around with, right? Whatever works (:
Oh god, I totally get you on that. I was blessed to meet Anja, but besides her...I didn't have a lot of friends around here. I mean, I still don't (unless you count the regulars at the bar, lol)...but now I have you too. I'm not gonna lie, it's sort of hard for me to branch out and make new friends when I'm in my home country as it is , let alone Germany, considering my complicated relationship with social events. But I guess I have both Anja and Blondie to thank for meeting this wonderful translator, latte art extraordinaire, dreamy, funny, sweet...knight-in-shining-armour girl. Thanks again for coming to my rescue...♡
Hm. Yes, I think that would suffice. I don't think I've written this much since my English final in senior year lmao.

Oh! That actually sounds like fun, I didn't realize they offered all that stuff at the uni. I feel out of shape, but...I'm so down C: I used to run track in high school, so I'm actually kind of familliar with yoga thanks to my coach's love for team bonding activities. Would you be interested in that, or something else?
Delivered 10:17pm
Grace bit her lip and smiled, tossing her phone aside with a wide grin. Any opportunity she had to get closer to Teddy--both emotionally and physically, apparently--Grace was more than happy to take.

Cracking her back had resulted in cracking every joint she could. Teddy stretched out on the sofa like a weird octopus. Sprawling her limbs all over the place. It did the trick, her hip and knee popped, the neck pain subsided after a good crack and her arms creaked as joints clicked into place. The whole thing was really gross while also lowkey satisfying.

Her phone stayed silent so Teddy snatched it up and trotted over to the small kitchen to refill her coffee before moving to the tiny balcony. On her way she grabbed herself a blanket, then she stepped out.
It was dark and freezing, but the air was crispy clear in her lungs. Cold air was so refreshing and grounding. Like the first gulp of air after being underwater.
The breeze nipped at her nose but wrapped up in the knitted chunky blanket it was almost cosy.
Or as cosy as it would get with your ass planted on a cold creaky plastic stool, fingers wrapped around a coffee mug so big it was probably meant for decoration instead of actual usage, while cigarette buds littered the tiles to your feet. Teddy grimaced and breathed in the steam from her cup. She shouldn't be drinking coffee at 10pm with school the next day, especially not since Mondays meant early classes... but Teddy wasn't exactly known for great life choices so she shrugged and took a sip.
Her eyes flicked over to the wooden divider that separated balconies. It was weird but neither she nor Nadia had made an effort to get to know any of the neighbours. If it weren't for the soft sounds and creaking water pipes the flat next to them could have been vacant and they would have never known. Maybe she should introduce herself once winter break came around. Hell, she'd even bake them a cake or something. Was that even a thing actual adults did? It was in the movies, but could they be trusted?
Teddy took another sip when her phone finally chimed again.

Sorry, Anja just got back with groceries, had to offer my assistance. As for that plan of yours...hey, I'm always glad to help (;
Yeah, Anja actually connected the dots herself before I even saw this. She spoke really fondly of you, I don't think you need to worry about apologizing too much lol. She gets over stuff really fast, she's not one to hold grudges so I wouldn't worry.
As for Nadia...that's understandable. I've had tons of friends who used to act the same way, but sometimes you just gotta take what you can get when it comes to who you hang around with, right? Whatever works (:
Oh god, I totally get you on that. I was blessed to meet Anja, but besides her...I didn't have a lot of friends around here. I mean, I still don't (unless you count the regulars at the bar, lol)...but now I have you too. I'm not gonna lie, it's sort of hard for me to branch out and make new friends when I'm in my home country as it is , let alone Germany, considering my complicated relationship with social events. But I guess I have both Anja and Blondie to thank for meeting this wonderful translator, latte art extraordinaire, dreamy, funny, sweet...knight-in-shining-armour girl. Thanks again for coming to my rescue...♡
Hm. Yes, I think that would suffice. I don't think I've written this much since my English final in senior year lmao.
Oh! That actually sounds like fun, I didn't realize they offered all that stuff at the uni. I feel out of shape, but...I'm so down C: I used to run track in high school, so I'm actually kind of familliar with yoga thanks to my coach's love for team bonding activities. Would you be interested in that, or something else?

Received 10:17pm

Ah, no worries, but it's quite late for grocery shopping, we have class tomorrow!
I'm so glad. I really like Anja it would suck if she didn't talk to me anymore.
Haha, I'll be your knight in shining armour anytime. Just call and I'll come running ;) just if it's during a shift don't be surprised if I fend off your attacker in a apron while beating them with a pitcher. Love the mental imagine btw.
Yeah, it's pretty neat, I think the uni's big on keeping their stundete healthy and offering support. There's also counsling and discounted cooking classes :) the school is actually quite awesome, but why do I learn about this from a senior I met while waiting in line at the toilet? Just advertise it school, it's not that hard??
I'm down for yoga! I've never done yoga and I'm about as flexible as a wooden spoon but I could probably use the exercise. God knows my back is fucked from bending over the table so much x.x

I'll go find out how to sign up tomorrow, I'll keep you posted. Are you going to bed soon? I should get some shut eye but I also don't want to move
Delivered 10:24

"I think I'm going to head to bed, Gracie," Anja yawned as she got up from the work she'd been puttering away at on the kitchen table. "8am classes are kind of the worst to begin with, so I really don't need to increase my chances of falling asleep," she chuckled.
"Uh--cool. Okay, I'll be quiet in the bathroom. Night," Grace replied mechanically, obviously distracted by her phone. A notification popped up from Teddy, and she hurriedly clicked on it. Anja shook her head with a small smile, turning and heading towards her room. She turned around at the last second.

"Hey!" The taller girl called softly, making Grace glance up. Anja smiled at her from down the hallway, hands resting on her hips. "Look, I don't care how amazing Teddy is, you cannot let her keep you up all night!" she told her.
"Are you a mind reader? I was just thinking how nice it'd be to talk to her all night!" Grace retorted, grinning back at her friend.
Anja rolled her eyes.
"No offense, but you're kind of a nightmare when you're sleep deprived, Lewis. Girl, for both of our sakes, get some sleep!"
Grace grabbed a pillow from beside her spot on the couch and hugged it to her chest, concealing her giddy smile.
"Sure thing, mom. Goodnight!" she answered sweetly, blowing a kiss to the other girl as she turned around with a chuckle.

With Anja gone, Grace picked her phone back up and continued reading Teddy's text

Ah, no worries, but it's quite late for grocery shopping, we have class tomorrow!
I'm so glad. I really like Anja it would suck if she didn't talk to me anymore.
Haha, I'll be your knight in shining armour anytime. Just call and I'll come running ;) just if it's during a shift don't be surprised if I fend off your attacker in a apron while beating them with a pitcher. Love the mental imagine btw.
Yeah, it's pretty neat, I think the uni's big on keeping their stundete healthy and offering support. There's also counsling and discounted cooking classes :) the school is actually quite awesome, but why do I learn about this from a senior I met while waiting in line at the toilet? Just advertise it school, it's not that hard??
I'm down for yoga! I've never done yoga and I'm about as flexible as a wooden spoon but I could probably use the exercise. God knows my back is fucked from bending over the table so much x.x

I'll go find out how to sign up tomorrow, I'll keep you posted. Are you going to bed soon? I should get some shut eye but I also don't want
Received 10:24

It's funny, because she actually left earlier than usual...I have a sneaking suspicion she took a detour to visit her boyfriend on the way there, lol.
I like her too, and I'd hate for there to be a rift in between to of the sweetest people in my life right now ;3
Omg, I'm imagining it...I'd pay to see you take some guy out with like a coffee tamper or something. Ouch.
That's great! Now that you mention it, I do remember my mom talking to me about some of those programs. It was part of the reason we decided on this school, actually.
Oh my gosh, I have the absolute worst posture when I'm painting, especially when I'm sitting for a long time. I need someone there to remind me every once in a while or something, my back is suffering lol.
Sounds good, let me know if I can help at all. I'm really glad you suggested this, I hope it isn't hard to get into a class.
Ahhh. Sleep, what is that again? >.< I'm not super tired, but don't let me keep you up if you are! (: But I mean, Anja did sort of just lectured me about the importance of sleep...so I guess I should consider heading to bed at some point, hahaha.
Um, okay. This might be kind of forward, but...my filter disappears after about 10pm, so I'll say it anyway.
I can't stop thinking about you. Like, seriously, get out of my head.

I feel like I've known you forever, even though we just met--is that weird?
Delivered 10:36pm

It's funny, because she actually left earlier than usual...I have a sneaking suspicion she took a detour to visit her boyfriend on the way there, lol.
I like her too, and I'd hate for there to be a rift in between to of the sweetest people in my life right now ;3
Omg, I'm imagining it...I'd pay to see you take some guy out with like a coffee tamper or something. Ouch.
That's great! Now that you mention it, I do remember my mom talking to me about some of those programs. It was part of the reason we decided on this school, actually.
Oh my gosh, I have the absolute worst posture when I'm painting, especially when I'm sitting for a long time. I need someone there to remind me every once in a while or something, my back is suffering lol.
Sounds good, let me know if I can help at all. I'm really glad you suggested this, I hope it isn't hard to get into a class.
Ahhh. Sleep, what is that again? >.< I'm not super tired, but don't let me keep you up if you are! (: But I mean, Anja did sort of just lectured me about the importance of sleep...so I guess I should consider heading to bed at some point, hahaha.
Um, okay. This might be kind of forward, but...my filter disappears after about 10pm, so I'll say it anyway.
I can't stop thinking about you. Like, seriously, get out of my head.
I feel like I've known you forever, even though we just met--is that weird?

Recived 10:36pm

By the time Teddy reached the end of the message she wasn't smiling anymore — she was beaming. Her chest was warm and she really, really wanted to hug something, preferably someone.
In quick succssecion cion she gulped down the coffee, all but slamming the empty cup on the table before snatching up her phone again, fingers itching to type.

It's not weird at all! Or it might be, but not to me cause I feel the same. I felt this... I dunno.. instant connection? while we were on the balcony yesterday. Idk how to explain it?
Also I think I trust you even though we don't really know each other. It's like reconnecting with a good friend after a long time and seamlessly picking up where you left off. Except we weren't friends before?
I'm not sure if I'm making any sense at all, I don't have a filter either but it didn't disappear since it wasn't there to begin with lol
Get some beauty rest. (Not that you need it.) I'll head to bed too, maybe I'll see you tomorrow? :)
Delivered 10:40pm

Giddy with excitement Teddy hit send. Then she grabbed her cup and creeped inside again still wrapped in her blanket. She caught her silhouette in the hallway mirror, without the lights on it looked like a sentient cloth lump was wandering trough their living room.
Maybe it was the late hour or her stirred up fluttering feelings but Teddy snorted out loud upon seeing herself. Transfixed on her moving image she didn't pay attention to where she was going. Her foot caught on the sofa, Teddy toppled over with a dull but loud 'thump!'.
Her knees hurt from breaking her fall but she couldn't help but entetrupt in giggles.
She fished out her phone again.

Sweet dreams, Gracie 💙
Delivered 10:42pm

Teddy spread her arms out on the floor blanket spread around her as she grinned at the white ceiling.
Life was good. Teddy was genuinely happy.

Grace flopped back against the cushions again with another heavy sigh. Her body was exhausted, but her mind was in overdrive thinking about the other girl.
Teddy, Teddy, Teddy. God, even her name was pretty.
Foggy memories drifted around her head, momentarily taking her mind off of how nervous she felt about her text to the blonde. Despite her intoxication, she remembered rather clearly when Teddy had come up to her after that guy's advances had begun to make her uneasy. She remembered the balcony even clearer--how Teddy had smelled so strongly of alcohol and sweet perfume, the two scents mixing pleasantly with fresh air as they'd stood together, wrapped up against the biting cold. Looking down at Berlin from above with her, sharing her warmth, and finally feeling like someone in the vast city understood her. A stranger, at that.
And then things got more vague. She recalled that they'd smoked, and that she had leaned in impulsively, closing the distance between their lips almost completely. Grace had wondered then, as she did now, what Teddy's lips would feel like against her own. She silently cursed fate for the simple fact that she hadn't been able to find out yet.
Regardless, that part of the night was nothing short of magical, like something out of a dream.

Grace stayed like that for a few minutes, replaying the scene over and over again in her head. Imagining new scenarios, thinking how things could have ended quite differently had their dear friends not decided to wage a war with each other.
It wasn't until she heard the buzz of her phone and jolted awake, that she realized she'd been drifting off. Perhaps she was more tired than she'd initially thought.
Sitting up, Grace grabbed her phone and opened the message, wide awake and slightly apprehensive again.

It's not weird at all! Or it might be, but not to me cause I feel the same. I felt this... I dunno.. instant connection? while we were on the balcony yesterday. Idk how to explain it?
Also I think I trust you even though we don't really know each other. It's like reconnecting with a good friend after a long time and seamlessly picking up where you left off. Except we weren't friends before?
I'm not sure if I'm making any sense at all, I don't have a filter either but it didn't disappear since it wasn't there to begin with lol
Get some beauty rest. (Not that you need it.) I'll head to bed too, maybe I'll see you tomorrow? :)

Sweet dreams, Gracie 💙
Received 10:42pm

Well, that's a huge relief :3 Honestly, I feel the exact same--I don't know how you put it all into words so perfectly... <3
Sounds good, I understand--even angels need to rest every now and then c; And you can count on it--at this rate, you'd have a harder time trying not to run into me, lol. You're like, my new favourite person.
...Don't tell Anja.
(;

Sweet dreams to you too.

Goodnight, Teddy 💜
Delivered 10:44
Grace hit send after a moment and bit her lip with a wide smile. It took her a few seconds to work up the motivation to pull herself off of the couch, but she eventually made her way to the bathroom to get ready for bed.
Soon enough, she was nestled beneath her covers, window open just a crack to cool her room down. Eyes closed, she imagined falling asleep next to Teddy, wrapped in her arms rather than just an old white duvet.

After reading Grace message Teddy stayed on the floor for a few minutes, content to just lie there. There was this silent hope in the back of her head that this would become a thing. That they'd become a thing. Because they were definitely flirting. Right? Teddy might have been high and kinda drunk but she was 90% sure Grace had been about to kiss her on the balcony. You didn't go around kissing people you weren't interested in. Then again Grace had been high...
It was to early to say, too early to get her hopes up.
And feeling an instant spark and connection didn't change the fact that they were virtually strangers. But Teddy was eager to make up for it, to learn everything Grace had to offer and then some.
Of course she had her doubts and worries. What if Teddy's money ran out and she had to return home? What if Grace flew back to Canada suddenly? What if one of them dropped out because they realised they wanted to do something else? What if they became close and Grace didn't like what Teddy was really like? What if everything's fine but they graduate? What then?

No, it didn't matter. She would just have to take this on step at a time. No use getting ahead of herself.
With that she got up, got ready for bed and crawled under the covers.

She only fell asleep well after midnight. Mind buzzing from imagitive conversations and situations, hopes and fears until she finally slipped into a dreamless slumber.
Her phone's fake bird chirping and waterfall alarm tore her out of her peaceful dozing at 06:30 sharp. Disoriented Teddy grabbed for her phone and slapped around on the screen until the annoying noises cut off. It was silent again. She sighed into her pillow. Why did she have a 8am class on Monday? Skipping wasn't an option. She had paid for these classes, it wasn't that much but that wasn't the point. She paid for something valuable to her future and she wasn't about to waste it.
At least that was what she told herself everytime she dragged herself out of bed and into the bathroom. Teddy wantwas d hr bed back.
The freezing water she washed her face with woke her up a bit. She was quick about her makeup not wanting to spend anymore time than she needed in the cold bathroom. With her eyeliner drawn, lashed coated and concealer blended she started making breakfast. Some toast and tamagoyaki would suffice.

Thirty minutes later Teddy walked out the front door, decked out in her pink beanie, dark blue scarf and her brown jacket which had happened to be the one she grabbed from the coat hanger. Her backpack had everything she'd need; wallet, keys, phone, IPad, paper, sketchbook, pencils. pens, snacks, food, coffee and a water bottle. She was a bit earlier than usually so she decided to take the underground, it didn't make much of a difference but the subway was slightly closer. As she stood on th platform her mind wandered back to Grace. Did she have morning classes too?
Teddy fished out her phone from the bag pack and tapped around.

Morning sunshine hope you slept well
Omw to class, will update when I know more about the yoga application

Delivered 07:18am

Teddy didn't expect an answer anytime soon so she pocketed the phone and watched the passing trains until her's arrived.
3C144D42-62AF-42D2-9A23-30B30623B8AD.png

Finding the applications wasn't as hard as Teddy had thought. Rather the opposite, on her way to class she passes a poster that had been there since her first day advertising various sport courses for students. Right underneath on a small table were printed forms with contact information to fill out, a chart where you checked your desired course and where to hand it in. Pleased with her progress Teddy hurried to class, right before slipping in she send another message.

Got the applications, I'm free after 11 if you want to grab it?
Delivered 07:53am

That morning, like most Monday mornings, Grace was reminded of why she regretted taking an 8am class.
Grace grumbled something incoherent to herself, groggy as hell as she blinked her eyes open to the sound of her 6:45am alarm. Locating her phone was a surprisingly difficult task in the dark. What began as her blindly patting her blankets in search of the device eventually turned into her shaking out her duvet in an irritated huff. This method proved successful--the unmistakable thunk that sounded as her phone hit the wooden floor of her bedroom gave her a pretty good idea of where it was.
After managing to turn the alarm off, Grace sat on the edge of her bed for a few moments, rubbing her eyes and contemplating life as one does in the early hours of the morning.

Grace eventually stood, stretched, and padded over to her bedroom window to close it--not before taking several deep breaths of the outside air, though. Nothing woke her up more than the dewy freshness of a gentle morning breeze. Well, a double shot of espresso came in at a close second, but that was beside the point.
In the room next to hers, she heard Anja beginning to stir as well, signaling that she was nearly late to start her morning routine. With that, Grace headed to the bathroom feeling rather content given the circumstances.

By the time Grace had washed her face and brushed her teeth, Anja had begun brewing them both coffee in the kitchen. One perk of having a wealthy roommate was that her parents often gifted them rather lavish presents. At the start of the semester, Anja's mom bought them one those high-end espresso machines, the ones that use pods instead of ground coffee. To say it improved their quality of life would be an understatement--the machine was a godsend.
Grace hastily applied her usual makeup--on the more minimal side of things, consisting of a simple coat of under eye concealer, mascara, and clear lip gloss. Satisfied with the look, she carefully undid her plaits and made her way into the kitchen to assist her roommate with breakfast prep.

Grace prepared parfaits for each of them with greek yogurt, the fresh berries Anja had purchased the previous night, and some cheap but surprisingly tasty store-bought granola. The pair worked like a well-oiled machine after having done so for most of the semester thus far, finishing each of their tasks within five minutes. They ate in silence, each far too low on energy to attempt conversation.

A good half hour later, both Grace and Anja were headed towards the street car station nearest to their flat, which was a few blocks away. Grace donned her usual pair of white sneakers, black ripped jeans, one of the university's thick navy hoodies, and a black beanie Anja had lent her. She once again cursed whoever had taken her jacket, feeling the chill in the morning air more than ever today.
The pair arrived at the station with minutes to spare before the next train. Anja shifted from foot to foot in the cold despite her long coat and scarf. Grace adjusted her backpack on her shoulders and dug into the depths of her sweater pocket for her buzzing phone.
Her face lit up with a smile as she saw the text from Teddy pop up in her notifications.

Morning sunshine hope you slept well
Omw to class, will update when I know more about the yoga application

Received 07:18am

Hey you :3 I did, hope you did too!
Ok sounds good, heading to class as well.
Gotta love a 6:30am start to the day, right? x_x lol
Hoping to see your pretty face today, ttyl xx

Delivered 07:25am
Grace hit send just as the train pulled up to the stop. She let out a content sigh and slid her phone back into her pocket before boarding behind her friend.

The pair parted ways as usual, Anja waving goodbye and jogging to catch up with a group of girls from her class. Grace smiled and waved in return, heading towards her own class in the same hallway. Out of habit checked her phone on her way to class, smiling at another notification from Teddy.

Got the applications, I'm free after 11 if you want to grab it?
Recevied 07:53am

Wow, that was easy.
Sure thing, meet me at the benches by the garden on the east end of campus?

Have a good day! ((:

Delivered 07:59am
Grace glanced up at the time and hit send as she hurried into class, slipping her phone away without expecting a response until later in the day.

There were very few things that made early morning classes acceptable for Teddy. It didn't make them any less annoying though. Because when you're up before the sun, dragging your sleepy ass down into the underground station only to fall asleep in your seat again and then jerk awake minutes later - well, that's just wrong.
For all their faults, morning classes did have their perks too. For example you were finished for the day earlier (in most cases anyways). Or the fact that everyone was still pretty quiet, too tired to scream and run around yet. Morning classes on Mondays meant naked people, so that's nice too.

Benedict, as the model had introduced himself as, slipped out of his robe and stepped into the middle of the circle of artists. He was a big hipster-looking dude, with tattoos, a undercut and a long bushy beard. Teddy liked him immediately. He looked completely at ease sprawled out naked in the middle of the room, his shoulders relaxed and a small smile on his lips. Teddy got a seat to his left so she was drawing a 3/4 view. The minutes flew past. Teddy filled page after page with quick poses and then detailed a nice looking figure drawing for the 30 minute pose. All in all she felt pretty good and accomplished, almost enough to forget her lack of sleep.

On her way to the lecture and last class for the day the inevitable happened. Nadia rounded the corner coming face to face with Teddy.
"Oh, hi Teddy. Patrick is coming over later, so you might wanna, you know." She said as her form of greeting.
Teddy regraded her with a blank stare. She wanted to get angry and scream, teach Nadia a lesson and shove it down her throat. But she was too tired for this shit.
"Aha. So you're done with Kevin again?."
Nadia scrunched her nose up and gave her a sickly sweet smile.
"Yeah I guess so, what's it to you?"
"Nothing. Just curious. Listen I gotta get to class, I told Anja you wanted to talk by the way. See you."
Teddy was already walking away before she even finished her sentence. Of course she had told Anja no such thing. She didn't have her number nor had she run into her this morning. But Nadia didn't know that. Teddy dearly hoped that the social pressure would force Nadia to at least pretend to apologise. A girl could dream.
Teddy slipped into the room seconds before the teacher and guest speaker came in.

90 minutes and four pages of notes later Teddy was done for the day. She finally switched on her phone again, pleased to see the message notification. She smiled as she read Grace's message and immediately headed for the nearest exit to walk to their meeting place. On her way she stopped by the small campus kiosk. They made decent coffee, as good as you could get it with a simple machine. Susan was working on Monday mornings, she majored in music if Teddy remembered right. She got two lattes, one in a to go cup and one refill for her travel mug. For a moment she eyed the chocolate bars but she still had some Oreos in her bag so she thanked Susan and was on her way.
At the benches Teddy realised why Grace had picked them, they were tucked away between huge trees, and the area wasn't crowded at all like some other benches on campus. Teddy sat down, slipping her bag to the ground. She ran a hand trough her hair trying to sort it out a bit. Then she placed the coffees in her lap so they would warm her tights as she waited. Some students hurried along the path but nothing much was happening. She pulled out her phone.

Yeah, I was surprised too tbh. I'm at the benches now :)
Delivered 10:56am

Surprisingly, both Grace's morning classes flew by. First period had consisted of their regularly scheduled anatomy practice, in which a slender female model had come in to their class and posed for several of the students' required sketches for the semester. Her second period was a free block, which Grace had spent in the atelier working on an oil painting she'd had sudden inspiration for. Per her weekly assignment's instructions, she'd realistically depicted a cherished memory from her childhood--a late autumn camping trip spent with her family back home when she was twelve years old. Her sister was only nine at the time, and Grace fondly recalled the younger girl's awestruck look when she'd first witnessed Northern Canada in the fall--the glass-like surface of the water near their camp, the vast sea of orange and gold hues from the trees that lined the shores of the lake, the stark bedrock outcrops that dotted the landscape. She remembered her father showing them each native plant around the site and what it could be used for, and watching her mother paint at the water's edge in the early morning mist.
A pang of homesickness hit her as the memories flooded back, and she made a mental note to call her family sometime soon, just to check in. For the first time in a while, Grace was actually satisfied with how the piece was turning out when she set down her brushes and began to tidy up her workspace for the day.

Before she knew it, Grace was headed for the exit nearest to the campus greens in search of the Teddy after she'd received her text. Her sleeves were still rolled up from before, and flecks of dried paint were visible on her forearms from where she must have missed when washing up. Her long hair was pulled back into a messy bun, and Grace flipped the hood of her baggy sweater up against the chill in the air when she stepped outside. Despite the goosebumps that sprang up on her arms almost immediately, the cool air was actually quite refreshing after having been in the cramped studio for so long. Grace inhaled deeply, exhaling with a content sigh as she scanned the area for Teddy.
A smile lit up her face as she quickly found her, sitting on one of the benches with a thick blue scarf wrapped around her neck. Her cheeks were dusted a light shade of pink in the cold, and Grace spotted a tray of two coffees in her lap when she drew closer. Dried leaves were scattered around the paved walkway and crunched beneath the soles of her sneakers as she approached.
"Hey, stranger!" Grace called with a friendly wave, abruptly side-stepping a pair of students who nearly collided with her and uttering a soft "whoops!" to which they both ignored. She reached the other girl and gingerly took a seat beside her, folding her legs neatly and glancing over at her. "Fancy seeing you here. Come here often?" she asked, smiling playfully.

When Teddy spotted Grace she couldn't help but stare. The kind of stare where you have to pause and appreciate what you're seeing.
Teddy had never considered herself the type to swoon. But boy, did she prove herself wrong this time.
Now that she thought about it, Grace wasn't exactly eye catching if you just caught a glimpse of her while passing. She also wasn't the kind of person Teddy would crush on usually.
Teddy went for bold haircuts in even bolder colours, heavily inked or pierced, boys and girls decked out in unique outfits, someone all pastel and dolled up, or really shredded gym bros. Teddy crushed on the 'out there' and extreme.
While she did flirt with every cute face she came across she didn't crush on them, especially not this fast nor this hard.
What had chained Teddy's gaze?
With her hood drawn up and brown strands peeking out, her dark eyes and fair complexion. If you didn't look Grace was just like any other female student here, slipping by unnoticed to get to class.
Teddy knew why she was staring. If you took the second to look, to see Grace — you'd stop to stare. Just like Teddy right now.
Transfixed on the slope of her lips, the darks of her eyes, the little strands of hair fluttering in the breeze, the way the hoodie hung off her frame and the way her legs made walking look like the most interesting thing to watch.
Teddy had it bad, and she knew.

"Hey, stranger!" Grace called, right before practically crashing into two guys heading in the opposite direction. She said something Teddy didn't catch as she awkwardly staggered out of their way just in time.
Grace sat down, quite close, and glanced at Teddy.
Teddy met her eyes without saying anything. She could count lashes and make out the various brown shades in her eyes. She smiled.

"Fancy seeing you here. Come here often?" Grace smiled too. Suddenly it wasn't as cold out on the half frozen bench anymore.

Teddy let her gaze drop to her shoes. Her hair feel forward a bit obscuring her face, but she was still undoubtedly smiling. Her dark boots stood out against the orange and brown leaves no one had bothered to sweep up.

"Oh, well you know." She crooked her head to look at Grace again. "I heard the view would be beautiful today."

Teddy pursed her lips, trying and failing to keep herself from laughing. She snorted.
"Oh my gosh, I'm so lame", she mumbled into her hands. She slapped her face lightly a few times before dragging her hands away.

"Coffee?", she held the to go cup out to Grace. A gust of wind rustled the trees and sent the leaves tumbling benches. Teddy suppressed a shudder. She regarded Grace with a long look.
"Aren't you cold?"

Teddy was the type of girl who knew how to make a girl blush--not only that, but she knew that she knew how. With an air of confidence about her that was unlike anything Grace had ever encountered, being in her presence alone was like a breath of fresh air.

"Oh, well you know. I heard the view would be beautiful today." Teddy regarded Grace with a look that made her heart do a somersault in her chest. The brunette gave a mock gasp and scrunched up her face with a smile, giggling as Teddy chided herself.

"You're such a flirt," she replied, shaking her head. Her cheeks, already pink from the cold, had darkened slightly--what a surprise.

Teddy regained her composure and sat up straighter after a few moments, glancing down to her lap like she'd just remembered something before offering the other girl a small to-go cup.
"Coffee?"

Grace's eyes widened. "Oh my god, how are you even real?" she asked in slight disbelief. "Thank you so much--next time this is on me, yeah?" she went on, offering of a grateful smile as she wrapped her hands around the warm cup. She took a long sip, her eyes fluttering closed as she released a content sigh.
Grace opened her eyes a second later, taking in the girl beside her. Seeing Teddy in such proper autumn attire, the brunette felt...severely underdressed. A gust of cool wind passed through the courtyard as if to emphasize her point, sending a shiver down her spine.

"Aren't you cold?" Teddy asked her then, watching her with a slight frown forming on her lips. Grace took another sip of the coffee before setting it between her legs, folding her arms over her chest with a half smile at Teddy's question.

"Eh, a little...but I'm Canadian, this is nothing," she joked, giving a slightly forced laugh. She sighed, watching a pair of students pass by their spot on the bench. Grace glanced over at Teddy with an earnest look. "Would you believe me if I told you someone at the party stole my only jacket?" she asked.

Last edited:
"Oh my god, how are you even real?" Grace asked. "Thank you so much--next time this is on me, yeah?" she continued smiling as she wrapped her hands around the cup.
Teddy grinned and waved her hand around in a 'do what you want' gesture. Then she took a good swing of her own coffee, enjoying how the hot liquid warmed her from the inside out.
She glanced over at Grace again and her brows furrowed.

"Aren't you cold?"
Grace looked up, took another sip and as if to prove Teddy's point crossed her arms. Teddy raised her eyebrow, pointedly eying her outfit.

"Eh, a little...but I'm Canadian, this is nothing." Grace laughed but it sounded a bit different than before. Had Teddy overstepped?
Before Teddy could continue that train of thought Grace glanced over.

"Would you believe me if I told you someone at the party stole my only jacket?" she asked.

Teddy gave her a blank look. The silence hung between them for a few seconds.
Then she bursted out into laughter.

"Wait-wait, hold up. Let me get this straight." Teddy shook her head a big grin on her face. "You came here for the winter semester and you brought one, one, as in singular. Just that one jacket? And then that only jacket got stolen at the party so now your freezing your ass off?" she forced out between giggles.
She patted Grace's knee.
"I'm sorry, that's horrible but also highly amusing."
Teddy was still grinning as she put her mug on the bench and stood up.

"I won't give you my jacket and be all romantic because for one, it holds my keys and shit, and two I'd turn into a sad popsicle. I'm willing to compromise though."
With that's he reached up and untangled her scarf, quickly rewrapping it around Grace's neck. Then she pulled off her beanie and put it on Grace too.
She smiled, hair sticking up everywhere from a serious case of 'hat-hair'. Then she slid down next to Grace again, this time closer so they could leech of each other's warm side.
"You don't have to keep them on the whole day if you don't want, but at least for now, yeah?" Teddy said, leaning forward to grab her bag with the applications.

Silence settled over the pair like a blanket, the only sound in the courtyard coming from the tree leaves gently rustling and the distant voices of fellow alumni. Grace raised her eyebrows, looking away sheepishly as Teddy abruptly burst into laughter.

"Wait-wait, hold up. Let me get this straight," she began, grinning widely. Her eyes shone with laughter. "You came here for the winter semester and you brought one, one, as in singular. Just that one jacket? And then that only jacket got stolen at the party so now you're freezing your ass off?" she asked as if she couldn't believe her ears. The brunette groaned and buried her face in her hands.

"Well, when you put it like that," she reasoned, grinning into her palms. She glanced up as Teddy patted her knee, offering her an apology between giggles. Grace smiled weakly. "Alright, alright, to be fair, I was planning on picking up a winter jacket yesterday morning, but I didn't expect to get that wasted last night, nor did expect someone to steal my only spring jacket," she went on, shaking her head with a wide smile. "I'm bad at this whole 'being and adult' thing, okay?" she sighed, giggling at her own expense.

Brown eyes followed the other girl's movement as Teddy stood up, turning to face her. Grace quirked an eyebrow curiously as she spoke.
"I won't give you my jacket and be all romantic because for one, it holds my keys and shit, and two I'd turn into a sad popsicle," she told her. Grace nodded with understanding as Teddy continued. "I'm willing to compromise though." She watched as the blonde unraveled her navy scarf, nearly the same shade as Grace's hoodie, and promptly wrapped it around her neck. The fabric was soft against her flushed face, pushing her cheeks up slightly and smelling strongly of the other girl's laundry detergent. Grace let out a small sigh, nestling her face into the lingering warmth in the scarf. Her eyes widened as Teddy removed her hat as well, pulling the pink fabric down over her dark hair. "You don't have to keep them on the whole day if you don't want, but at least for now, yeah?"

Grace grinned at the other girl as she slid down beside her again, close enough that their sides brushed. "Well played," she began, nodding approvingly at her. "Alas, you're far too kind, and you neglect to realize that this was my plan all along! Mwah-ha-ha!" she exclaimed, rubbing her hands together menacingly and giving her best evil cackle. She broke down into giggles shortly after, waving her hands in front of her. "Sorry, sorry. Just kidding," she panted, grinning and resting her hand on the other girl's knee as she caught her breath. "Thank you. I owe you for, like...so many things," she told her.

Teddy reached down for her bag then and Grace noticed how adorable her disheveled hair was, sticking up wildly in some places thanks to her hat. As the blonde straightened back up, now holding two slips of paper, the brunette carefully reached out to fix the rogue strands as best she could. Grace smiled at her affectionately. "Better," she said. She glanced down at Teddy's hands then, gesturing to the papers. "Those are the applications?" she asked, tilting her head and squinting slightly as she tried to translate the German writing on them.

Teddy cracked up again immediately at Grace's rendition of an evil laugh. Her side hurt from laughing when they finally calmed down.
"Sorry, sorry. Just kidding," Grace was grinning, one hand on Teddy's knee, as she tried to catch her breath. "Thank you. I owe you for, like...so many things," she said.
Teddy shook her head glancing to Grace's hand on her knee. Warmth seeped through the fabric of her jeans. In moments like these she wished she could freeze time, just so she'd get to enjoy the moment a little longer.
"Honestly, don't even mention it. I only do this because I want to, no skin off my back or whatever that saying was."
And you're helping me too with just being here, Teddy didn't add. She grabbed the applications.

When she leaned back up Grace suddenly put her finger's into her hair. Smoothing it down Teddy assumed. She couldn't help but stare. Grace smiled and her eyes crinkled. Teddy wished she had had a camera in that moment she could have captured that smile for eternity.

Grace pulled back,
"Better."
Then she pointed at the sheets in Teddy's grip. "Those the applications?"

Teddy might have suffered Form whiplash caused by how sudden her mind snapped from questionable, yet cute daydreams to boring paperwork.
"Huh."
She looked down at the paper.
"Uh, yeah, sure, yes they are."
She fumbled with the paper and handed one over.
"Do you want me to translate? Wait. Now that I think about it, is it hard living here? I mean, I think I'd be okay living in an English speaking country but France? I took French all through middle school so I do speak French," Teddy pulled out a pen, whirling it around in the air."But I also don't."

Grace gave her a warm smile, tilting her head at the blonde expectantly as a few beats of silence passed between them. It seemed Teddy's mind had been elsewhere, but she'd been pulled back to the present by the brunette's words. "Huh? Uh, yeah, sure, yes they are," Teddy recovered several moments later, earning a small grin from the other girl.

"Great, thanks again," Grace answered coolly , gently taking the papers from her to get a closer look. There were some words she understood--'Bitte', 'Danke', 'Dienstag', 'Donnerstag'--but many were completely foreign to her. She was left feeling discouraged at her futile attempt to understand the German, no more informed than she was before she began, when Teddy spoke up.

"Do you want me to translate?" she kindly offered. Grace gave her a grateful look, feeling slightly embarrassed despite all the times Anja had reassured her that most local found it 'almost...endearing' when international students struggled with the language. She hoped her friend was right.

"Wait," Teddy continued, stopping Grace before she could reply. "Now that I think about it, is it hard living here? I mean, I think I'd be okay living in an English speaking country but France? I took French all through middle school so I do speak French, but I also don't." Grace gave a soft chuckle, nodding understandingly.

"Oh god, I know what you mean," she responded. A beat of silence passed as Grace glanced away, letting her hand and the paper fall to her lap with a soft sigh as she mused over the question. "Um, yeah. Well, it's...not easy," she confessed, nodding. "I sort of thought I'd be able to learn the language faster if I was forced to speak German exclusively, but that's not the case apparently," she laughed softly, sounding rather tense. Grace shrugged, looking back at Teddy and taking a sip of coffee.

"I struggle with the grammar a lot, and...there are lots of words I don't know. I'm getting better at reading, but I'm still pretty shit at speaking if I'm honest. It's a bit embarrassing," she admitted, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear with a weak half-smile. "I mean, I know some basic conversational stuff, and I'm taking the German course that's been adapted for international students like me. It's supposed to be easier I guess, but it's pretty hard for me still. I don't think I'm doing very well," Grace finished, letting out a long breath. Brown eyes met blue, and she found herself losing her train of thought for a second.

"I--yeah. I'm rambling, sorry," Grace remarked quickly, adjusting the hat on her head. For some reason, It felt like she could breathe a little easier now--as if a weight had been lifted from her chest. "Wow. I...I kind of just realized how few people have actually asked me that. How living here is for me, I mean," she told her, nodding thoughtfully."I also just realized what a mess I am--who goes off to live in Germany without knowing the language, and with only one coat?" she giggled, feeling the tension dicipate with her laughter. "I should have gone to study in France like I'd planned, I'm literally bi-lingual with French and English."
But then I never would have met her, a voice in her head reminded her. Grace swallowed. "I don't regret coming here though, I'm only joking. There are some...pretty lovely people here in Berlin," she added, smiling shyly over at her.

"Wait," Teddy said, "Now that I think about it, is it hard living here? I mean, I think I'd be okay living in an English speaking country but France? I took French all through middle school so I do speak French, but I also don't."

Grace's soft laughter could only be described as a gentle harmony, drifting away with the wind. Teddy wanted to capture these smiling lips with her own. Would that be moving too fast? Did Teddy even care? If Grace kissed her here and there, she'd blow caution into the cold nippy air freezing her fingers.

"Oh god, I know what you mean,"
Grace responded. A beat of silence passed as Grace glanced away. Teddy studied her profile, watched her expression falter ever so slightly.

"Um, yeah. Well, it's...not easy," she started, nodding. "I sort of thought I'd be able to learn the language faster if I was forced to speak German exclusively, but that's not the case apparently," she laughed quietly and shrugged. Then she looked back at Teddy who was still watching.

"I struggle with the grammar a lot, and...there are lots of words I don't know. I'm getting better at reading, but I'm still pretty shit at speaking if I'm honest. It's a bit embarrassing," she admitted, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear with a weak half-smile. "I mean, I know some basic conversational stuff, and I'm taking the German course that's been adapted for international students like me. It's supposed to be easier I guess, but it's pretty hard for me still. I don't think I'm doing very well," Grace finished, letting out a long breath. Brown eyes met blue. Teddy chewed on the inside of her cheek, eyes darting from Grace's left eye to her right, down to her lips, left, right, left, right.

"I--yeah. I'm rambling, sorry," Grace blurted. She adjusting her head.
Teddy's eyebrows were furrowed, lips pursed.

"Wow. I...I kind of just realized how few people have actually asked me that. How living here is for me, I mean," she said, nodding."I also just realized what a mess I am--who goes off to live in Germany without knowing the language, and with only one coat?" she giggled. Teddy relaxed her shoulders a bit, she hadn't noticed herself hunching. "I should have gone to study in France like I'd planned, I'm literally bi-lingual with French and English."

Something unsaid hung in the air between them. Something that could only be drawn out by remaining silent. Teddy held her breath.
Only the sound of crunching leaves as student's walked past could be heard.
Grace swallowed.

"I don't regret coming here though, I'm only joking. There are some...pretty lovely people here in Berlin," Grace added, a shy smile gazing her lips.

"I'm glad" Teddy licked her lips, "I'm glad you're 'a mess', even though I don't agree. I'm glad we met. And your German is fine, you worry to much"
Teddy looked up to the bare tree crowns, twigs stretching up to the clouds, like blood vessels of the sky.

"It's makes me kind of sad that no one asked." For a moment she put her hand on Grace's. "Maybe- maybe you can tell me about why you chose Germany over France someday? Maybe when we're somewhere on a couch or bed, with some nice hot cocao and gentle music playing." Teddy closed her eyes, submerged in her imagination.
"And it would be warm underneath our blankets and we wouldn't be freezing our asses off."
Her eyes snapped open and she grinned, nudging Grace with her elbow.
"I won the award for snuggle queen of the year once, eh."

Suddenly she remembered the paper in her hand. She waved it around.
"Let's get down to business hmm?"
Then she put her finger underneath the first sentence and started translating line by line.

There wasn't much to read.

Morning classes on Tuesdays, evening classes on Thursday, you only pay a small fee 17€ for 10 hours, the rest is covered by the university. You need gym clothes, it's preferred to be barefoot but you can wear shoes if you're not comfortable with that. You can bring your own mats but they are provided. If interested you fill out the attached application;
Name
Name of University
Your major
Student ID
Morning or evening classes
Relevant medical history/conditions

Then you sign and off you go to yoga.

Grace fell silent and glanced away. Unsure of how to continue, she took in the peaceful scene around them. The breeze rattled dry branches and leaves, tousling the girls' hair in the quiet of the courtyard. Few other students remained, all of whom were immersed in their own work or chatting softly with each other. She noticed how the pale bricks of the walkway were split in places, dead weeds and grass sprouting up and finding a home in the cracks, only to die with the arrival of fall. Her eyes fell further, to an anonymous pair of initials etched into the wooden bench, encircled with a heart. A small smile tugged at her lips at the sight.

After several moments, Grace swallowed and turned back to face Teddy, her warm eyes settling on the pretty girl easily.
Her intuition had always made her quite good at reading signals and body language, but surely, she thought, anyone with a brain could sense there was something between them. Something intense and new, words left unspoken and interrupted deeds left undone. The uncertainty of two young kids, one who didn't even know how to navigate a city, let alone her own feelings, the other seemingly hesitant to scare her away, but sure of her heart and herself.

Teddy held her gaze steadily, and the brunette fought the urge to break the silence with some stupid joke or meaningless small talk. For a split second, she considered leaning forward and pressing their lips together, if only to get herself to stop talking for one moment. How easy it would be...if she could just reach up to her face and--

"I'm glad." Grace blinked rapidly, Teddy's voice reeling her back down to Earth. "I'm glad you're 'a mess', even though I don't agree. I'm glad we met. And your German is fine, you worry to much," the blonde assured her. Grace's cheeks heated up in the cold, and she laced her fingers around the coffee in her lap. Teddy glanced upwards then, as if searching for the right words in the bare tree branches, or in the dead tree leaves, or in the overcast sky.

"It makes me kind of sad that no one asked," she went on. Grace found herself staring down at her hand, and the other girl's reading on top of it before her gaze shifted to her face--her eyes, her rosy cheeks, her lips. "Maybe- maybe you can tell me about why you chose Germany over France someday? Maybe when we're somewhere on a couch or bed, with some nice hot cocao and gentle music playing." Teddy eyes fluttered closed as she imagined it all. Grace couldn't help but do the same.
"And it would be warm underneath our blankets, and we wouldn't be freezing our asses off."
Grace flinched and opened her eyes as Teddy poked her in the side with her elbow. The shorter girl pulled her lower lip between her teeth, flashing a small grin over at her and tilting her head curiously.
"I won the award for snuggle queen of the year once, eh," Teddy finished, smiling.

The brunette chuckled. "Is that so? You're in luck then, because I once won the award for clingiest cuddle-buddy," she grinned. Her expression faltered after a few seconds.
"But, um...in all seriousness...I think I'd really like that. All of it," she earnestly admitted. "With you." They shared a look and fell into silence again before the blonde held up the papers in her hands.

"Let's get down to business, hmmm?"

And so, the German girl translated, and the Canadian listened. She enjoyed ever detail of the other girl's face, including the way her eyes naturally widened and narrowed as she read, and the way her lips formed each new word. Watching her put Grace in a kind of trance, so much so that she hardly noticed when Teddy had finished.

"Right, okay," Grace nodded vigorously after a moment, clearing her throat. "Um, well thanks again for grabbing those. Do the times work for you?" she asked, "I usually get Thursday evenings off work because I work most Fridays."
Grrace reached for the paper, consciously brushing Teddy's hand as she did so. She realized then how badly she wanted to hold it--to lace their fingers as they walked, sharing their warmth with each other in the cold.
There were so, so many other things she wanted to do.
Grace Lewis had it bad, and she knew it.

Last edited:
"Is that so? You're in luck then, because I once won the award for clingiest cuddle-buddy," Grace grinned and Teddy's heart leaped. Then Grace seemed to pause, her grin faded and she stared into Teddy's eyes.
"But, um...in all seriousness...I think I'd really like that. All of it," she said so much sincerity it made Teddy stop breathing. "With you."
They stared at each other. Teddy hoped her burning gaze would communicate what was going on in her mind. Her heart was flip flopping against her ribcage and she blew out a breath. A shaky smile and slightest nod.
"Let's get down to business."

"Right, okay," Grace nodded so vigorously, just shy of looking like a closeted headbanger. Teddy found it adorable. "Um, well thanks again for grabbing those. Do the times work for you?" Grace asked, "I usually get Thursday evenings off work because I work most Fridays."

"Yep," Teddy popped the 'p', "I only have a few morning classes on Thursday. I'm looking forward to the samurai position and whatnot."
Grace reached for the paper and their hands brushed as Teddy let go. Surprised she whipped her head up to look at Grace. No way had that been an accident. The way they were beating around the bush was actually kind of hilarious Teddy mused.
"How about this, after our first yoga lesson we go over to my place, watch a movie or something and order some pizza? Or Asian noodles? Whatever floats your boat." Teddy said as she pushed herself up from the bench.

"That's perfect, then." Grace giggled at the remark that followed, nodding in agreement. "Oh, for sure - Warrior's pose will have never looked so good," she added, grinning as she took the sheet.
Grace avoided the blonde's gaze as she purposely brushed against her hand, knowing full well the other girl had glanced up and was watching her. Her heart was full of a nervous kind of excitement, anticipation for what she was now sure was blooming between the two of them.

"How about this," Teddy said rather suddenly, drawing Grace's curious eyes up from the paper in her hands, "after our first yoga session, we go over to my place, watch a movie or something and order some pizza? Or Asian noodles? Whatever floats your boat," she finished, standing up from the bench.

A soft smile formed on Grace's lips. For the first time since high school, she felt butterflies dancing in her stomach. "I'd like that too," she answered, sounding far more composed than she felt. She tucked a loose strand of hair beneath the other girl's pink beanie as she stood up as well, facing her.

"Maybe by then I'll have a coat, and I won't have to keep stealing your clothes just to keep warm," she added playfully, "or...maybe not." The brunette gave an awful wink and laughed at herself, picking up her bag and sliding the strap onto her shoulder as her giggling died down. Before long, silence had settled between them again, leaving Grace unsure of what to do with herself. She swallowed, readjusting her bag on her shoulder.
Then, an idea popped into her head.
Grace crossed the short distance between them and stood up on her toes to plant a quick kiss on the taller girl's cheek before retreating back a few steps. She smiled warmly. "Well, enjoy the rest of your day, Teddy. I'll catch you later, try not to miss me." With that, she backed up a few more steps, raising a hand in farewell. "Oh, and text me, or call me if you want! See you!"

Grace got up as well and they came face to face.
"Maybe by then I'll have a coat, and I won't have to keep stealing your clothes just to keep warm," Grace said, "or...maybe not." She winked and her nose scrunched up in the process. Teddy beamed. She'd let Grace steal her clothes anytime if she was honest with herself. Her eyes swept over Grace's soft features again. Taking in individual lashes, rosy cheeks, the hair poking out of her beanie, soft looking lips-
Grace kissed Teddy's cheek. As fast as it happened it was over again, Teddy couldn't even react she just stood there dumbfound.
Grace smiled the most beautiful smile again.

"Well, enjoy the rest of your day, Teddy. I'll catch you later, try not to miss me." She backed up a few more steps, raising a hand in farewell. "Oh, and text me, or call me if you want! See you!"
"See you...",
Teddy mumbled and raised her hand as well. She smiled and stared down at her shoes. After a couple of excited heartbeats she looked up again and watched Grace's retreating form until it disappeared from view. Teddy shook her head. Slapped her cheeks with both hands and smiled even wider. Of course she was going to call. What kind of question was that?

On the bus ride Teddy filled a whole sketchbook page just with Grace. Her smile. A sketch of what they might have looked like from an outsider's perspective when Grace kissed her cheek. Her eyes. Her profile. Her hands. The sketches intertwined in sections, crowding the page. Teddy couldn't suppress her smile on the ride home. She had even missed the first bus due to her daydreaming on the way to the busstop. Nothing could put her in a sour mood. Not the ridiculous amount of assignments, not her weird family problems, not the fact that her ears were practically falling off. Not even Nadia, that snake.

Still smiling she rang the doorbell. Nothing happened. She stared at the hardwood door. She took in all the dents and smooth curves. Still no motion behind the door. Teddy pressed the bell again, longer this time. Finally she could hear shuffling. A sleepy Thomas poked his head out the door.
"Ted? Was machstn du hier?" Teddy regarded him with a flat look. His shirt was twisted and his pants hung low on his hips, one sock was missing. She raised an eyebrow.
"Hast du vergessen das ich rüberkommen wollte?"
Thomas slumped against the doorframe, blinking heavily. He held the door open for Teddy.

"Ne, hab geschlafen, charity-lifestream weißte?"
She nodded and grabbed his arm, steering him to the bedroom again.
"Mhh, dann gehst du jetzt wieder schlafen. Ich kann dir auch später von meinem tollen Leben erzählen."
Thomas didn't resist when Teddy pushed him into bed and started tucking him in.

"Is wieder was mit deiner Familie los? Alles okay?" He mumbled. Teddy paused.
"Nein. Das war kein Sarkasmus es ist wirklich was gutes passiert." Thomas cracked an eye open.

"Also ist es das Zopf Mädchen?"
"Nein."
"Ohh doch, ich will einen Bericht wenn ich wach bin."
"Du bist doof. Schlaf gut."

"Ted? What are you doing here?"
"Did you forget I was coming over?"
"Nah, I was just sleeping, charity-livestream, ya know?"
"Mhh, then you're going right back to sleep, I can tell you all about my amazing life later."
"Did something happen with your family again? Everything alright?"
"No. I wasn't being sarcastic, something good actually happened."
"So it's the braided hair girl?"
"No."
"Ohh but yes it is, I want a report once I wake up."
"You're dumb. Sleep well."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back