Brooklyn

alicia-vikander-the-wrap-photoshoot-2015-02-662x993-jpg.252322

Faith heard Clarissa warn Vonnie not to be mean and it didn't exactly make her feel confident about dancing with her. When her friend called her name, Faith turned to face the two women, sending a smile in Vonnie's direction. "Hi Vonnie, it's-" she began, but the woman had already turned to walk away before she could finish her sentence. She looked to Clarissa and shrugged her shoulders. "That went well," she sarcastically noted, following up with a smirk. The lead dancer seemed like hard work. Perhaps harder than the dancing itself.

legends-of-the-fall-brad-pitt-21854511-500-282-jpg.252325

Upon entering the house, Oliver headed straight into the lounge where he left two science books on top of the bookcase. He purposely left them in such a position that they would be noticed by Christopher. He didn't want to embarrass his little brother by giving the gift to him directly, so he left them where he could find and read them if he wanted to. Anyone who paid enough attention knew the youngest Murphy was intelligent, but the kid wanted to hide it. Oliver then made his way up to the bathroom to clean himself up ready for the club, only saying a quick "hello" to any family members who were home.

Last edited:

Thomas and Dominic sat smoking by the fireplace when Oliver came by. "Olly!", the older man called cheekily. He rose to his feet and wrapped his arms around Oliver, his wider frame swamping his little brother, still grinning like a mad man. Tommy rolled his eyes from his seat by the fire and tossed the stub into the crackling flames.

He stood up and approached the two men, placing a hand on the shoulder of each."Right lads, now that we're all here, it's time to get to work", he stated, "Dom here's gottenus another shipment of drinks. We need to deliver the supplies to our joints, especially Rissa's. She'll cut off my manhood if I let her run out again." Thomas was kidding, but only partly. Clarissa was potentially the only woman to ever strike fear into the men of the Cutters, and most certainly the only one to ever concern the Murphy boys.

paula_patton.jpg

"Always the charmer, aren't you Von?" She said shaking her, then walking over to Faith. "Ignore her. She's always like that." Shaking her head, she looked at the time. It wouldn't be long until the doors of her club opened in the public and she was ready. Except she hadn't put a lick of makeup on her face and her hair was still up in a bun. "Shit! The club is ready for presentation but I am not. I'll be in my office finishing my hair and makeup if you need anything okay? You can handle it until Chucky gets here right? He's the bouncer and when he does come--" She yelled down the hallway, "--just tell him everything is ready!" Rissa had already disappeared into her office and closed the door, sitting at her vanity. How she had forgotten two of the most important things she would never know. But now that she remembered, she got to work.  

3925b80f2863be53642e8c48ecdb7f49.jpg

Christopher had skipped going to the racetracks with everyone else so he could practice his street skills. He had managed to pick at least ten pockets that day and was particularly proud of himself. He was getting better and better at this whole criminal thing. When he returned home, he noticed cars in the driveway and assumed everyone was home. "Yikes. They're for sure gonna ask me where I've been. Time to lie my way out of this one." He said speaking to himself. As he walked in the house whistling, he first made his way over to one of the bookcases in their house. One of the thicker books served as his hiding place for all the money he would take. He grabbed the big brown book where he cut some pages out and reached into his pocket. He chuckled to himself at the thick wad of cash he put into the book and put it on the shelf. What a criminal this one was turning out to be. Hearing the voices of his brothers, he made his way into the same room they stood in and shrugged his shoulders. "Wow. Being left out again. Now, that's--that's something, I tell ya." He said with wide grin.

Velma-Kelly-chicago-the-movie-2945874-500-282.jpg

When Esme was at home, she quite enjoyed the quiet. It allowed her to focus more on her writing and take advantage. Since she took the boys in, she was never really allowed much quiet, always being the one to break up fights and arguments. But now that they were so much older and less rowdy, she could enjoy the quiet. However, it wasn't a peaceful quiet that lasted too long before she heard the laughter of her nephews. At first she attempted to ignore it, burying herself into business and writing but she just couldn't concentrate. With an annoyed sigh, she made her way downstairs and rounded the corner, one hand on her hip and a cigarette holder with a lit cigarette at the end. "Oh, how lovely. All my nephews and Christopher are here." She said, still disowning the youngest Murphy child. "Now leave. It was nice and quiet before you four came back home." She said it in a way that she meant it, but she still loved them all. "Two things though. One, I need one of you to pick up the things on this list for me. I'm too busy to get them. And two, IF you are going to Lape tonight, which I know you are, you better not stumble back in here like the last time you went." She handed the list to which ever boy was closest and began to walk away when some maternal instinct took over and she forced herself to turn around. "And please be safe." She paused for a moment, obviously temporarily confused on where that came from and dismissed it and them. "NO GIRLS HERE EITHER!" She shouted, remembering the waking up to some random girl in her bed trying to cuddle.

994LOF_Brad_Pitt_078.jpg

Oliver had returned downstairs, having washed, shaved and changed. He thought he'd heard his brothers, so made his way towards the room they were in. When Dominic greeted him, Oliver returned the gesture and patted his oldest brother on the back. "Dom. Good to see you," he said, smiling brightly at his brother's warm welcome. When Thomas came over and mentioned the job, his smile faded. "Cutting it a bit fine to be out delivering the alcohol, aren't you?" he asked. It wasn't a question he expected an answer to, he was just caught off-guard having planned to go straight to the club from home. "I'll get my coat," he gave in, the smile now back on his face. As he was about to retrieve his coat, Christopher entered the room. "Sorry Chris, it is almost your bedtime," he teased.

Esme then made her entrance and told them to leave, causing Oliver to laugh a little. He placed his hand on Christopher's shoulder as his aunt continued to disown him. He wondered if the two would ever be able to patch things up. When Esme asked someone to pick up some things for her, Oliver, backed away, so his three brothers were standing closer to her. "I remembered to drive our aunt home today. One of you can do this one," Oliver remarked, though still smiling. "Goodnight, aunt!" Oliver called back to her as she told them to be safe. He then looked to his older brothers and grinned. He hadn't brought that girl home, but he remembered the aftermath of it! He had been guilty of stumbling in on a number of occasions, though.

"That's a relief," Faith said, upon realising she was no exception to Vonnie's rudeness. "I'll be fine, Rissa. You go get yourself ready," she reassured her friend. Once left alone, she stood behind the bar and kept watch over the front of the club, looking out for Chucky.

Last edited:

Christopher feigned heartbreak at his aunts words, placing his hand over his heart. "Oh, my heart auntie." The whole grudge thing was a joke to him now. At first he took it to heart but when he realized that'd how his aunt was, he played it off. He too backed away from the list so he wouldn't have to do it. "Hey, I fed the cat. That's enough for me." Shoving his hands in his pocket he mockingly laughed at Oliver's teasing. "I'll have you know I'm getting in to Lape tonight to watch the girls. I figured out the riddle off the card I swiped earlier today." He said holding up the card. It was a minor slip up revealing to them what he had been doing that day. Holding up the card he gave a cheeky grin. "I don't suppose you lot have figured it out yet?"  

"You're getting in to Lape?!" Oliver asked, holding in his laughter. "In your dreams, little brother. The women there aren't little girls." He looked at the card in Christopher's hand and raised a curious eyebrow. "Of course I've figured it out. I'm not sure about those two, though," he joked, pointing to Dominic and Thomas. His brother's slip up didn't go unnoticed and Oliver wasn't going to ignore it, even if they were about to head out. He snatched the card out of the boy's hand and showed it to the other two men. "Where did you swipe this from? What exactly have you been up to today, whilst we were all out?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom-Hardys-return-to-Peaky-Blinders.jpg

As his brother's young and old shrank back from the responsibilities of adulthood, Thomas rolled his eyes skyward and stepped forward, taking the paper from Esme. He found it funny that she would kick them out of her home as well as ask them to run her errands. However it was the least he could do for the woman who had all but provided for them after the death of their mother, even with their father still being in the picture. "Yeah, you hear that Chris? No girls", Tom said, well aware his kid brother currently held the romanticism of a mule.

Both Dominic and Tommy cracked a smile as their Aunt, who was just old enough to be their sister, took on the worried yet strict caregiver. "Yes ma'am", Dom replied, raising a hand to his shaved head, "Want us to do the garden as well?" Tom gave the man a light shove before Christopher spoke up, drawing his attention. "Like hell", he said, "Clarissa will drag you out box your ears kid.." He too wondered where Chris had acquired the card, but saw that Oliver had handled it. He was a bit annoyed with what the boy had said about him not figuring out the card. I fought in France, surely I can read a simple phrase.

paula_patton.jpg

It took her a while before she deemed herself presentable to the world and she stepped back by the bar. "Faith. What do you think?" She gave a little twirl and a chuckled before walking over to the bar. "Swoon worthy?" Of course, there were people who would say she looked beautiful even when her hair wasn't done and with no makeup. The people being Thomas considering he was the only who ever saw her that way. And that's when she was hit with it. That wave of emotions when you think about someone you used to love, or in Rissa's case love. At first it was the memories of late night kisses and breakfast in the morning. It all took a turn when she thought about when he was drafted for the war. Her face was so unforgiving, her thoughts obviously getting the best of her. Especially when she thought about how things were now. It took everything in her for a tear not to fall down before she shook her head and looked at Faith and not through her. "You ready for the night?" She asked just as Chucky walked in. Chucky was a tall beefy man that scared people and that was exactly what she needed. "Ah. Looks like I don't need you to yell after all. Chucky, Faith. Faith, Chucky." Chucky just grunted and took his place at the door. "He isn't much of a talker."

"Hahaha." He said as he slowly backed away. Chris was use to his brother picking on him and didn't take that to heart, either. He was mature enough to understand that everything wasn't serious. That and the kid had some pretty tough skin. He knew he screwed up after he mentioned swiping the card from someone. Now, to lie or tell the truth was his next tasked. Would he be able to pull it off or not was the question. He started getting further away when he smiled, coming up with something. "Funny thing is, Olly. Man, you've gotta be more aware of what's going on in your pockets. And you guys don't think that I'll be getting in but you also think that the words written on the card is really that password. Wrong on both accounts. See ya." He waved and then took off running towards the door to get away from his older brothers.

994lof_brad_pitt_078-jpg.252713

Oliver couldn't help but briefly get lost in the moment. All four brothers and their aunt, in the same room, having a laugh. It was those moments that he cherished the most. He shook his head as Christopher suggested the card had been taken from him and began running off. Oliver placed his hands in each coat pocket to find the card was indeed gone. He'd either lost it when taking his wallet out earlier or the kid really had swiped it from him. He was about to chase Christopher, but stopped at the doorway, remembering he didn't have time for this. "This isn't done with, you little shit!" he called out, half playful but half serious. Oliver had a few ideas about what his brother could have been up to and it was no surprise. He'd been in the same boat as him at that age and was frequently getting into all kinds of trouble, with his older brothers and aunt having to watch his back. It was only right that they all looked out for Chris. It seemed inevitable that his little brother would end up on the same path as the rest of them, but Oliver deep down hoped the kid would embrace his intelligence and earn an honest living. But right now, the battle was making sure he didn't get into trouble by stealing from the wrong man or running into the wrong people.

He turned back to his brothers as he fastened his coat, tied back his hair and put a hat on to look less conspicuous whilst on the job. "Come on, then. Are we going?" he asked. The sooner he was in the club having a few drinks, the better.

Faith's jaw almost dropped as Clarissa returned from getting dressed up. "Oh my. You look amazing, Rissa! The whole club will be swooning after you." She noticed her friend's face change to a troubled expression and couldn't help but feel sad for her. She figured only Thomas could get to her in such a way. "The whole club, including Thomas. Unless he's gone blind and dumb," she was quick to add. She took a deep breath and straightened her dress out when asked if she was ready. "Yes, I think I am ready," she replied, smiling at the large bouncer as he arrived. "Let's do this," she enthused.

Last edited:

paula_patton.jpg

"Lovely." She replied as she signaled the band to start playing and the curtains to be dropped. For now until more people came in, the band and different singers would perform. It wasn't long before people started showing up and filling up the place. It shocked her that people could figure out what the code was, even though it would be pretty obvious. Her club had a French name and she was all about peace. It should've been a given right? Clarissa stood behind the bar conversing with patrons and fixing drinks along with Faith, who seemed to be a natural at bartending. All of the positive feedback was making her night an even better one, even while she watched her alcohol supply die down a bit. It wasn't that drastic but she feared it soon could be. Of course she knew not to let any of her worries show for the moment considering she didn't want to worry Faith or any of the patrons.

Having successfully avoided his brother, Christopher ran out to find a taxi. Yeah he could've taken one of the cars, but he planned on sneaking some alcohol tonight and he knew better. Driving while he was drunk was never something he would do, no matter the situation. That's where some of that maturity was starting to come in. He met up with a few friends a few blocks away from the club and they all high fived each other. "Thanks to Christopher Murphy, we shall finally get into Lape!" They all whooped and cheered until Chris told them to calm down. "Alright guy shhh. Now, we have to act like we BELONG there. We act like a bunch of kids, we'll never last inside." He said even though they were, in fact, kids. It wasn't long before they made their way around to the entrance and knocked on the door. A little while later Chucky opened a small hatch and told him the code. "Faire la paix." Apparently they did everything right because the next thing they knew, they had made it inside. How long they would last until they were discovered was the real question.

he3cd4r.jpg

Jaelle and Kaven remained in the kitchen for sometime; the cook was allow to return to her prep for the next morning while Jaelle and Kaven stood quietly.  They were waiting for Nicolae to retire to his room upstairs, wanting to avoid another conflict.  Kaven had called it waiting, Jaelle called it hiding, but regardless it was less than an hour before Nicolae had followed his routine and climbed the stairs.

They left for Lapé shortly there after.  Out into the snowy cold weather Jaelle was regretting her choice of attire and neglecting to bring her coat.  Holding Kaven's hand they ran for the car carefree, yelping as her shoes slid on the ice, nearly sending her to the ground. Only Kaven prevented her from the cold wet fate.  "Easy,"  He said, opening the car door and helping her inside. "You've got enough bruises for one night."

Arriving at Lapé took some time; the longer the ride took the more anxious Jaelle felt.  She was nervous!  She knew how to act when dealing with other families, with business partners and even enemies, but at a party?  Needless to say Jaelle certainly didn't frequent places of relaxing nature.  She considered changing her mind, returning home, but ever time she was about to speak Kaven would tell her something about Lapé he'd seen in the past.  Like an excited boy he went on and on about Clarissa's previous remodels, or the girls, or the band.  At the secured door she'd provided the password Clarissa had told her earlier and were admitted.

Door opened and the sound of the band and laughter was freed into the alley way.  Warmth filtered out shortly after and stepping through the threshold was like stepping into a new world.  Gone were the thoughts of the cold weather, and colder family.  Jaelle's polite doll like smile turned into a grin of pleasure, stinging the growing bruise on her cheek bone.  The place looked amazing! It was already filling with people, but she was able to spot Clarissa behind the bar.  With ease she maneuvered through the people to find her friend, Kaven following behind.  "Clarissa!"  She exclaimed as she came to the bars edge.  "Lapé is wonderful!"  

paula_patton.jpg

The night was going so well, even though in the back of her mind she knew she would soon run out of alcohol. 'If that Murphy doesn't get here soon, he's going to get it.' She thought to herself. Looking at her, you wouldn't be able to tell that she was thinking such menacing thoughts. She decided she'd wait a bit more before putting her dancers on stage, wanting to at least wait for Beulah and Jaelle. The entire point was to show what Jaelle had been missing when not coming to her club and she wanted to show her an entirely new world. She was proud of herself with her club and had a look around when she spotted the youngest Murphy, Christopher, sitting at a booth with his friends. Before she left, she told Faith she'd be back and walked over with her hands on her hips. "Christopher Murphy. What are you doing here and how'd you get in?" Chris and his friends looked up at her, then away as if they were hiding from her gaze. The young Murphy stood up and pulled Rissa to the side and started explaining. "Look. Your rules are, if I remember, that if you figure out the passcode, you get in. Well, I figured it out. Besides, I heard the shows are the best up and down the coast." Rissa smiled and shook her heard. What a smooth little talker he was, stroking her ego. "Fine. But only until AFTER the show. And no alcohol either, I mean it. I'm not going to give your aunt another reason to talk about me." She left him standing there accomplished as he returned to his friends and sat down. "You are the man!" Clarissa walked back behind the bar and served more drinks before she heard a familiar voice. Jaelle was finally here. "Jaybird! My, you look stunning. I'm so glad you actually showed up. I've been saving the best thing for you. Where's Beulah I don't want her to miss it."

a2543ff46d5e889faaa36ee61e862b3f.jpg

Thomas watched as their little brother ran off. "Well, we should probably get going. I'll take the crates to the Garrison, Olly, you deliver to Lapé, Dom you take care of the Dragon.", he said, already striding purposefully towards the door. Dom had packaged the product in the back of a covered truck. Each of the three would take several crates and a barrel to their destination before joining the party at Lapé. 

Tom loaded the barrel and three crates in the back and passenger seat if his car while Dominic prepared his own truck. He pulled away, his car rumbling down the street towards the Garrison. 

imageproxy.jpg

Anne approached the secretive club and knocked on the door. She was familiar with the process. A small window would open and she would in turn give the current code-word. She would enter and take her seat at the bar. After the girls would finish their dance, she would find herself someone to dance with. As she waited for the bouncer to let her in, she quickly reapplied her lipstick and pursed her lips as she thought. How long before she grew bored of this? Years, she hoped.

Beulah winked at the bouncer as she swanned past into the club. She had taken her time getting ready and as such she was a little late but you couldn't rush perfection. She glittered and flashed under the lights in all her flapper finery as her eyes immediately found Elle talking to Clarissa. She grinned so dazzlingly it outshone her dress for a moment. She had had her doubts that her sister would actually come that night but seeing her filled Beulah with effervescent champagne bubbles of joy. For the time that her and Nicolae's feud had been ongoing Beulah had struggled with seeing Jaelle as it often meant seeing him as well.

"Elle!" She bounced up to her and hugged her tightly, "Rissa, the place looks amazing, not to mention it's owner is the bee's knees."

paula_patton.jpg

"Speak of the devil, hello Beulah." She said smiling. "Well thank you on both accounts, I do appreciate the compliments." The woman hugged her back and then took a look at Beulah. "And you look as pretty as ever." Suddenly she remembered that she could get the show started, now that they were there. "I'll be right back." She walked over to the entrance and told Chucky to let who ever else was at the door in then pause until the first dance was over. Making her way through the crowd over to the dressing rooms, people kept trying to stop and talk to her. She would give small smiles and fake laughs until she was finally through. She was yelling up the stairs to the girls as she ascended them. "Alright ladies it's show time. Remember, these people paid a pretty penny to see you wow them so. Wow them." The girls all hustled around backstage to get to their places and so did Clarissa. She stood on the stage in front of the red curtain hiding her dancers and signaled the band to end their set before she started speaking. "Wow. Isn't the band just great? Getting better and better everyday. Well for all of you who don't know me, I'm Clarissa. And this is Lape. Firstly I want to state the main rule, don't touch my girls or you'll end up like George Michaelson, remember him? No? Exactly. I want to thank you all for coming and I hope we have a better year than last. Now put your hands together for the girls you've waited all night for and remember. They love tips." She gave a wink before giving the cue for the curtains and ran off stage to the bar. She had to catch her breath for a second after all the running around she had been doing.

brad33.jpg

Oliver loaded one of his older cars with the crates and barrels, before driving to Lape and parking the vehicle up round the back of the building, where the door to the storage room would be. He intended on leaving the car parked up overnight on a nearby street. After getting out of the vehicle and securing it, he realised there was no point knocking as it would be drowned out by the music playing inside. He rushed to the front of the club so he could be let in and made it just in time for when Chucky was letting everyone inside. After removing his hat, he looked around to see Clarissa already making her way through the crowds. As he made his way towards the bar, he noticed Anne was there, so made a quick stop to greet the Garrison's barmaid. "Anne, it's good to see you. Looking gorgeous, as always," he complimented her and gave her a quick hug. He made a note to look out for her later, but right now he had to make sure Clarissa got the alcohol before anyone started to worry.

Oliver stopped in the crowd as Clarissa took to the stage to greet everyone and introduce the dancers. He folded his arms as he placed his full attention on her. He hadn't thought it possible that she could look even more beautiful, but there she was, somehow even more lovely than the last time he saw her. He snapped out of his gaze as she rushed off the stage and followed her to the bar. "Clarissa!" he called out as he approached the bar. "This place. Wow. You've done a fantastic job!" he told her, his charming smile even warmer than ever. "And you... You look amazing," he said, by this point blushing and trying not to stare at her too much. He reminded himself of the business at hand and leaned in to continue speaking. "I've got more alcohol for you. Courtesy of the Murphys. My car's parked out back," he said, pointing in the appropriate direction. "Can you unlock the back door so I can fetch it all in for you?"

As she served the customers, Faith's smile grew upon seeing Beulah arrive at the club. She was glad to see her friend and felt a little more confident in familiar company. When Clarissa returned to the bar after speaking from the stage, Faith was about to suggest her friend took a break, but then Oliver arrived on the scene. It was clear to see he really cared for Clarissa and Faith kind of felt sorry for the guy, knowing it was Thomas her friend loved. She stopped watching the pair when the next customer asked for a drink.

1ed7ec2ac83ed913301970ec4e8f0b33.jpg

Lucas was impressed with the club and made a note to congratulate Clarissa on such a good job. Though he might not be overly keen on the company she kept - the Murphys - he had a lot of respect for her. He respected any woman who could run her own business and stick to her guns. His praise would have to wait, as at that moment she was with Oliver. Instead, he ordered a drink from the barmaid. Although he didn't know her personally, he felt he knew enough about Faith and he wasn't so full of praise for her. Regardless, he remained civil and full of manners as she served him. He didn't want to spoil anyone's evening and he was looking forward to having a few drinks with his friends.

Last edited:

paula_patton.jpg

Clarissa needed a drink and just as she was about to head to her office for a moment to her secret bottle, she was stopped by Oliver. She smiled at him and gave him a hug before touching his chin. "You shaved it. And here I thought you were going to keep it." After a few more seconds she put her hands on her hips and before responding to his compliment. "Well thank you. And you sir sure do clean up well." Granted, Oliver wasn't the Murphy she was expecting to see delivering her supply but as long as it got there, she couldn't be too angry. However, she was still upset that it had even gotten there late and slapped his arm. "I almost had a heart attack, we were running low. C'mon." She said before grabbing his hand to lead him to the back. It was surprisingly difficult, she was once again being stopped by people who had replaced the one's who left. It would have been rude to tell them she was busy so she entertained them, all while holding Oliver's hand. After a while they could finally make it to the back so she could open the door. She unlatched the door and pushed it open for Oliver. "Sorry about all of that. Now go go go. I don't want to leave Faith alone for too long."

Anne smiled and returned Oliver's hug. The red haired dame watched as he walked off, probably to keep carrying a torch after Clarissa. Poor fool. "Take care of yourself hon", she called after him, sipping from her glass. She was nurturing the first of many drinks for that night. One might think she would grow tired of bars, but LaVixen's club was far different from the pub Tommy and his brothers owned in all but writing. 

Speaking of the devil himself, Thomas and Dominic walked in, Tom ignoring any attention he drew as he approached the bar and set his cap down on the refined counter. He didn't put down any cash, but a bottle would soon be put down before him. It was the same here as it was in the Garrison, as it was throughout most of the juice joints in Brooklyn. 

Anne glanced to her right and saw a very dangerous man. None other than Pickens' cousin, Lucas. Not only was he the rival of her employers, but if he decided he wanted her, there was nothing anyone could do about it. She doubted even the righteous Oliver Murphy would risk an all out war over a barmaid he spoke to occasionally.

She had spent the better part of the past seven years with the Murphy's, but she knew better than to expect them to swoop in and save some doll they hardly knew.

a2543ff46d5e889faaa36ee61e862b3f.jpg

Tommy had picked up Dom on his way back from the Garrison, knowing no one would want to roll up to Clarr's club in a beat up truck. The two made it inside with little hassle or interruption. Matter of fact, most everyone made a point to avoid them or show respect. Dominic was quick to track down a group that frequented their pub, however Tom headed to the bar to grab a bottle. He noticed a woman he had seen at the race behind the counter. "Whiskey, Irish", he said simply, tapping ash off his smoke. He paused and pointed a finger towards her, "You're new around here, aren't you?"

Dom.jpg

Dominic laughed as he chatted with a group of people he was rather familiar with. Suddenly, he caught eye of a familiar youthful face and excused himself to approach them.

The large man approached a group of young boys and placed a firm grip on the shoulder of his youmger brother. "Thanks for showing up Chris ", he said, then cocked his head toward the door, "Now fuck off." The last thing he wanted was for Chris to spend the night with a woman or god forbid come home with and edge again.

Chris and his friends were having a great time, for once not getting into any trouble. The entire night he had only swiped about three or four wallets and they would never know. He had somehow managed to get a drink for he and his friends but one was all he drank. After all, he promised Clar he wouldn't drink... Too much. When the show was presented, the boys looked on in awe. Never before had they seen a sight such as this. The way the girls moved was unlike any he had seen before and he was mesmerized. All of that was broken, however, when someone clamped their hand down on his shoulder. It took him minute to realize it was one of his older brothers. He gave a cheeky little grin when he was told to piss off. "Hey, not only did I manage to get in, without trouble, but Rissa gave me permission to stay. You don't believe me, go ask her yourself. She went to the back with Olly." He leaned in and whispered, looking around as if he was telling a secret. "He may finally put the moves on her yet." He was trying to say this without laughing but he just couldn't. The thought of Oliver actually telling Clarissa how he felt about her was just hilarious to him for whatever reason.

Vonnie strutted onto the stage as the music began. Dancing was her first and only love, the eyes of the crowd, the swell of the music, the drama of the costumes and the heat of the lights as she moved exhilarated her. Not to mention, the stage was the best vantage point in the house. She knew everybody who came to Lapé and saw more about them than they would likely care to have her know. Tonight as she shimmied and kicked she spotted a new face, a young man and some friends. She flashed them an extra smile and a wink, it was probably their first time and young, inexperienced men always seemed to tip the best. Of course the regulars were there too. It seemed as though the Murphy clan was out in full force that night, including that one who was pining after Clarissa. Her eyes found the new girl behind the bar being given a rather intense look by Thomas Murphy and Vonnie almost frowned at that sight, the man had always given her the heebie-jeebies for reasons she couldn't explain. Both of the beautiful Lee daughters had appeared which was a surprise as it was unusual to see the two in one place let alone that place being Lapé. As the choreographed routine ended she led the dancers of the stage into the crowd to collect tips and officially get the party started.

Beulah swung herself through the crowd and onto a bar stool with Jaelle in tow.

"Oh Faith, isn't this just the berries?" She grinned, "And the dancers! I wish I could be a dancer." Vonnie was an idol in Beulah's eyes, the epitome of the flapper lifestyle: a beautiful, bold dancer desired by all men. "You are so lucky!" One of Beulah's charms was that what she said was what she meant. She felt no jealousy of Faith only happiness for her friend. Perhaps there was a longing there but it went unarticulated. "How about serving up some of that giggle water and we'll really be talking." She surveyed the crowd. It seemed as though the whole city had turned up for this night.

brad33-jpg.281976

Oliver beamed as Clarissa hug him and commented on his smoother appearance. "I thought I'd make an effort for your big night." As much as he was his own stubborn person, he would stop shaving his face, just for her. When she slapped his arm, Oliver feigned pain and grinned as she took his hand to lead him to the back. His stomach was in knots as he tried to make sense of the signals she was sending. But his head told him this was just Clarissa; she was simply a warm and friendly person. "Grow up," he thought to himself.

Once she'd unlocked the door, Oliver rushed out to his car and began bringing in the barrels and crates of alcohol with a sense of urgency. After stacking the last crate, he quickly parked his car nearby and rushed back to Clarissa, locking the door behind him. "All done, ma'am," he said, with a mocking salute. He was about to walk with her back out into the club when something fought its way back to the front of his mind. Facing her, he placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Clarissa, I have to tell you..." he began. As he felt his hand begin to tremble, he pulled it away from her and pointed towards the bar. "My brothers are here," he said, his voice returning to its usual tone. "They probably love what you've done with this place too." Whatever moment of courage he'd found hadn't lasted and he was kicking himself for backing out of telling her how he felt.

1ed7ec2ac83ed913301970ec4e8f0b33-jpg.281975

Lucas had glanced to the performing dancers as he remained near the bar. He wouldn't deny he admired the women for more than just their dancing skills, and he knew one of them a little too well, but that was a one-off bit of fun and they wouldn't speak of that night again. He then caught Anne looking towards him and nodded to the red-haired woman. He thought it was unfortunate, for her, what happened to her father. But that was simply what happened when someone got in his family's way. "Having a good evening?" he casually asked her. He sensed she might be feeling awkward in his presence and he just had to see if he was right.

"Beulah! I'm so glad you're here. This is all wonderful," Faith enthusiastically told her friend. "Well, can't you be a dancer too? I can imagine you being up there. You should do it!" She then went to get the drinks, serving them to Beulah and Jaelle. She was glad to see both women out without that awful father of theirs watching over them. She noticed the mark on Jaelle's face and was about to ask if she was okay when her next customer came to the bar and she knew she shouldn't make him wait so she could socialise...

When Thomas asked for the drink, Faith quickly went to pour the whiskey for him. Knowing how important he was made her feel a little nervous, but Clarissa and Oliver were close to him and they were both nice people, so he must be too. When she handed the drink to him she was caught a little off-guard when he asked her a question. "I moved to Brooklyn a few months ago, from Queens," she explained. It wasn't a secret that she had been in a relationship with Victor, one of the Murphys rivals, but she wouldn't mention it unless necessary. "Clarissa gave me this job just today," she pleasantly added, hoping she was masking her apprehension.

Last edited:

paula_patton.jpg

Apart of the club's new design was a closet and in this closet was a false back. This is where she would hide her alcohol in case of any police raids. She walked in and moved some stuff around be revealing the hiding place and smiled at Oliver. "Snazzy huh?" After all the crates were hidden, except one, she put the closet back together and closed the door. She waited for him to lock the door back before they both headed back to the floor except Oliver touched her shoulder. Obviously there was something he wanted to tell her but it seemed he just couldn't. That little thought in the back of her head said maybe he was going to tell her his feelings, but then again Oliver didn't seem like the type to go after his brother's ex. Her naivety about the situation was taking over. Instead he mentioned how his brother's were there and it made her think of Thomas again. She had to think about something else. Not knowing that Dom had returned home she tilted her head. "Yeah, I know Chris is here. Somehow he got in and I allowed him to stay for a while. He's not causing trouble so why not? Speaking of Thomas, someone delivered a shipment to me with two missing bottles so he's getting an earful. Grab that crate for me and let's go." She asked as she headed back to the bar, but through the back way. Paranoia was something she felt right now in these moments. Once the arrived back at the bar, she smiled at all the new faces that arrived during the time she was gone. "Well then. The gang's all here huh?" She said as she snatched Thomas' cigarette out of his mouth and crushing it. "Not at the bar, you know the rules."

brad33-jpg.281976

"Chris is here? If he puts just the slightest foot wrong, you have to kick him out of here. The last thing I want is for him to piss off the wrong person," Oliver said, clearly concerned by his brother's presence, but decided to accept Clarissa's decision to let him stay. When she moved on to the subject of the missing bottles, Oliver faintly smiled. "I don't know whose fault that is, but I'm all for you giving Tommy an earful," he joked as he bent down to lift the crate. He followed her to the bar and set the crate down on the floor so the barmaid could sort the bottles out. He looked on as Clarissa berated Thomas for smoking at the bar and smirked at his brother. Seeing the former couple together made Oliver think back to how stupid he must have looked just minutes ago. He was thankful nobody else had been around. He looked away in time to see Lucas nearby, apparently talking to Anna. A civil conversation, he hoped. Whilst he had earlier decided to just hand over the money when instructed to, the reckless part of him was tempted to refuse just to see how Lucas would handle not getting what he wanted for a change. Realising he was trying to distract himself from making a foolish romantic move on Clarissa by considering a dangerous move against Lucas, he decided it was time for a drink. He walked from behind the bar to the customers side and ordered a very large whiskey.

Last edited:

he3cd4r.jpg

Clarissa had been right, the show was wonderful to watch, the girls she had chosen and trained were clearly skilled; she appreciated good work.  What amused her more was Beulah's awe-filled gaze as she watched the dancers on stage, she loved how idealistic her sister's views were.  To be young and free.  She could only smile and laugh as Beulah and Faith nattered on about dancing and being among them, though clearly the life of a dancer was certainly not appealing to Jaelle, she could see why it was a highlighted alternative to the choices laying before them; spinster or wife.

She accepted the drink from Faith though she wouldn't drink it, not yet.  There was something bothering her, an ill feeling.  It was likely her nerves, she knew, and the fact that there were more Murphy's than she liked in a very close proximity, not to mention she was certain she had glimpsed a Pickens roaming about as well.  She knew this place was considered neutral, and since it's existence the gangs had held up that agreement, but what bound them to it really?  Nothing stopped any of them, her own family included, from stepping in here taking out the enemies ringer.  She glanced about the club, quickly finding Kaven; he'd found some of his friends and family, none of which were related to the Lee's, and he seemed to be enjoying himself.

Jaelle sighed quietly, finally bringing the glass to her lips and taking a sip.  To hell with it.

6gfavrO.jpg

James and his university pals had been in town on a bender for days.  Holiday break was coming to an end, but his best friend had said he simply could not leave New York without seeing Lapé at least once.  They had spent the day at the races, drinking and partying, before attending another students poker game where the liquor and continued; he'd lost plenty, five whole dollars in fact, but he didn't care.  It was for the fun of it really.  

Game had ended and he and his pals had caught a hack to the club.  Upon admittance, after several minutes of them standing in the cold trying to remember the pass code, they were saddened to find they'd missed the first act.  "Nuts," Pauly slurred, clapping James on the shoulder as they staggered into the club, finding themselves an unoccupied table, "We missed Vonnie."  He'd whistle lowly.  "But I'm sure she'll make the rounds, Jimmy.  You gotta see this one."

James laugh, taking a seat, Pauly, Frank and Tony sitting around the table, looking around he searched for a waitress to flag down and bring them drinks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominic Murphy

Dominic stifled a laugh at his brother's barely believable story. "I bet she did. She'll do anything to get to Tommy, eh?", he said, then more pointedly, "And not one more drink kid." Dom ruffled the boys hair and chuckled as he walked away. 

Dom walked to the private room, knowing Tom would bring some of the whiskey they imported from a brewer in England. The man ran a company that sold tea and had miraculously acquired a royal trade licence, so their crates were never searched and they could retrieve the alcohol easily. It was far better than moonshine brewed in a bathtub down in the Southern states. Now, that's not to say they didn't supply that to their cheaper joints, but that was rarer. 

Dominic stopped by the doorway of the private room adjacent to the bar and looked down at the patrons. He saw people of various appearances all united by the common vice of alcohol and a good time. He took note of Lucas, speaking to a vaguely familiar woman. Clarissa snatched Tom's cig from his mouth and put it out. He swore that woman just wanted to see how far she could push Thomas.

Anne Chébaté 

Anne knew she couldn't show a flicker of emotion towards this man. He and his family were like sharks, who would attack at the first hint of blood or fear. "I'm Jake. Yourself?", she responded, lips drawn in a straight line, hiding her true emotions behind a veil. She refused to look at Lucas, for fear of either revealing her hatred or worse, risking him noticing her beauty. He was a well known cheater and womanizer. His marriage would do little to deter him if he decided he wanted to sleep with her.

It was difficult to decide what emotion she felt towards the man was stronger. Her fear of him, her hatred of his family, her disgust, her anger towards her father's killer? She decided to let reason take control and shoved her emotions down for the time being. She instead focused on keeping her expression from betraying anything and keeping her face partially turned.

Thomas Murphy

Tom nodded in response to the young girl's statement. "Welcome to our part of Brooklyn here. We might still read your fortune and sell pegs, but at least our whiskey is decent", he told her. She looked familiar to him because she was. She was the girl of a Lee boy Dom had bumped off.

He had been in the midst of taking a drag off of his cigarette when it was torn from him by a woman in a stunning dress. "Not at the bar, you know the rules", she said. Tom stared up at his ex. "Thought you of all people would know, Ms. LaVixen", he told her, "It's not a good idea to tell Thomas Murphy what to do." He sighed and stood up, draining his glass and carrying the bottle towards the private room. 

He passed Oliver as he practically marched by and pointed with the hand he held his glass with to the room. "Family meeting", he told him as he moved past. Tom closed the door behind him and locked the window from which a bartender or barmaid normally would deliver drinks, food, or information. Now Thomas was concerned someone would attempt to eavesdrop by opening it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back