• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Broken Balance

Crystal rolled her eyes at Valadir’s remark. She found it amusing. Sounded like he has done it before. She was curious about the idea.
“Val, have actually been so bored you’ve done it? I mean you’ve done a lot of traveling on your own. Surely you have come up with some creative ways to keep yourself occupied.”

“Oh that. That’s a silver fox. Isn’t it cool? Now that you mention it. It’s kind of a thing that goes around with us kits. Some of us have one of these. This one is a symbol to represent me. It’s also my alter-self as a fox which you haven’t seen Wol. Val has seen me as a fox when we first officially met. I still remember what he said when I changed to my kit form. Anyway, a special ink was used. Infused with an enchantment so it can change its shade of silver based on my emotional state.”

She sat upon the ledge of the pool, feet still in the water. She had her back to give Val a quick look at it.
“Think it’s cute?”

As she slid back in, the biscuit in her hand dropped into the pool.

“Well, that was sad. Dropped my biscuit in the water. That one is long gone.”

Returning her conversation to Wolnir she said,
“I’m sure they will. Drakes do like their alcoholic drinks. Not just for the taste but apparently it helps with some sought of digestion thing. I’m curious what you have come up with. Would like a sip when it comes around.”

As she talked, she put a hand through a tail and inspected the fur that came out. The last few strands of her summer fur are still falling out. Might give it a brush later.

The drakes touched at the Sanatorium. The drake carrying Sabato placed him on the ground first before he landed. Sabato fixed his clothes before following Lenera into the Golden Mountain ignoring the faces of every other drake. They took Eragon into a separate room. Lenera thanked the two drakes for their help before ordering them to leave. Then she looked at Sabato with a very angry scowl. She pointed at Eragon.
“Now cure him. You will not leave until he is healthy.”

Sabato kept his peace. An outburst from him will do anything but fix the issue.
“He will be made well again but it will take time.”

“I don’t care what you do.”
She left, slamming the door behind, and organised four guards to station themselves at the door.

Now that Sabato was on his own he could finally look around and see where he is. Two lanterns mounted on each of four stone walls, as well as two hanging from the high ceiling. Plenty of light. Because of the substantial height difference between himself and the drakes. Everything is huge. but he can make out benches full of herbs, liquids, and equipment all around. In the middle is a strong dark wooden table with a purple scaled tail hanging down from it. That would be Eragon.

Sabato placed his sword down in a corner and climb onto the table to see the limp drake. Barely any room on the tabletop. He climbed over the drake to his head and sat on the drake’s shoulder. He’d never imagined himself in this situation.
“So, I’m in a room. By myself with the King of the Southern Mountain range under my ass who I need to heal. Else the queen will kill me and I’m sure she will. Let’s begin.”

"A-and what does i-it say now?" Wolnir asked about the shade of silver of the tattoo.

"Nah, haven't really done that. I have my ways." Val said when he was asked if he ever got bored enough to resort to talk to his own shadow, thinking that he would look like a weirdo while doing it. "I know a couple folks who actually done it though"

"Can confirm the transformation thing" the black dragon added when Crystal told about his fox transformation when they first met.

"It was the outfit thing if i remember correctly" He said after regarding the first thing he told her when she had changed form. With everything going on, it took him a handful of seconds to remember what it was.

"I guess... Wouldn't know. I'm not big into that sort of thing" He then said when he was asked about his opinion about the tattoo.

The dragons looked at the biscuit as it sank into the pool. Wolnir reached it without issue and tossed it away for cleanliness' sake.

"Same" Valadir said when Crystal said she would like to try the idea his friend was having.

"I-i just hope t-they didn't think about it before..." The former brewer said.

Crystal stretched her neck to get a glimpse of the tattoo. Not that she needed to see it. She knows how she feels. Nevertheless, its shading is dark, reflecting how she deeply feels.
“Well… I’m… I’m optimistic.”
She stopped it there. She needed to keep her doubts away from the dragons.

“I doubt they have. I’m sure whatever you bring from the North is completely different from the South. Remember the drakes have isolated themselves from the rest of the land. Nothing more than a scary story of the mountain monsters. Give it a go Wol. I’m sure they will be more than glad to see you. Both of you.”
Crystal encouraged Wolnir. To take the challenge against the drakes. She feels confident in him that he will be able to surprise them with the drink.

After some more chatting and relaxing in the pool. She decided to hop out of the pool and dry herself with a white cotton towel she materialized from thin air. Squeezing the water from her hair and tails. She collected up the plates and with a fancy flash they disappeared. She kept the water jugs and cups.

When her tails have sufficiently dried, she teleported a brush into her hand and gave them a brush. Her tails covered up most of her skin. Combined with the rising heat from the pools. There is enough warmth to keep away the winter's cold without the need for her clothing. She still appreciates the environment she’s in. So unique. The mountains are far from being her favourite place, but she still acknowledges the beauty it contains.

She looked at Wolnir. Thinking about the gift for him. She’s starting to have second thoughts about it. Maybe he wouldn’t want it. She thought about discussing it with Val. As he would know Wol better than herself. The only thing that stopped her is that her gift will be personal to the bright dragon. If he is to reject her offer, it’s up to him to tell Valadir.

“I've got an idea."
Crystal happily moved behind Wolnir and started brushing his hair.

A few minutes in she popped a question.
"Do you guys want to talk about something personal?"

Wolnir decided to not keep bringing the subject into light, sounding like she had some stuff she rather keep private. If not because he vowed to not bring up arguments or ways to bring down the mood of the current day in particular, Valadir would have sassed her out. One of the most blatant lies he'd ever heard. Thought she could do better.

Wolnir felt more sure about the idea now that he had Crystal's... way of seeing the scene. Didn't think about it that way and honestly it made a lot of sense. He'd forgotten about the isolationism of the place. Maybe he could give them more ideas than planned? Maybe a process that kept more of the flavors intact or something. He then moved a bit when she started to brush his hair in order to give her a better angle. He was happy that it was finally happening, and at the same time he was smirking since his hair was to tangled that she'd pull hard sometimes.

The orange dragon didn't have issues about talking about personal things. After all she didn't give him any reasons to distrust her, and besides they didn't know each other for that long. On the other hand, Val wasn't very on board with that, still unsure to what extent he could trust her. If not because of the day it was, he'd have told her that his private life wasn't her business. He ended up agreeing for his friend's sake but under one condition.

"It HIGHLY depends on the question" the black dragon said in a more serious tone than usual.

Crystal stopped fiddling with Wolnir’s hair and titled her head. She thought about the question.
“It’s both a question and a comment. I’ve observed a few things from the drakes. They’re in a very uneasy state. As a whole race.”

She continued to labour on Wolnir. Using her brush to get all the tough knots out.

“They’ve been isolated for a long time. Their culture is harsh and boring and that got them into war anyway. They are slowly melting as a civilisation. They’re well off but their mental state is almost dead. You are the first dragons they have seen in over one hundred years. They would certainly do much to retain their relationship with you even though it may not seem like it. You have more power than you realise. Especially with the King and Queen. My question is, do you think you both have the ability to change them?”

She started getting a little frustrated with Wolnir’s hair.

“What the shit have you done to your hair!?”

She smelt it and gagged.

“Smells like shit as well. This isn’t happening under my watch”

She materialised a bottle of lotion. She squirts half of the bottle in the dragon’s mane then massages it in.

“I have confidence you both can.”

Valadir analyzed what she had just said. So there's a war going on? He didn't remember hearing about that one. It probably began when he was away. It explained why everyone was busy when he got to his room. They were occupied doing the prepping. That's what he wanted to hear. It was a good start, maybe not enough on its own to make him change his mind but a good start nontheless.

"Suuuuuureeeeeeee...." Valadir said sarcastically when Crystal mentioned they could make the two guys in charge change their mind relatively easily. "I got insulted and a death threat last time i spoke with those two. Too stubborn if you ask me. Might be worth a shot with the rest of the folk though..." The dragon then thought how well would his departure work as a leverage for change. Would those two be more willing to change things if he left and then came back? Or if he didn't but threatened with doing so? He'd find the answer to one of those questions later.

"I-i wouldn't know where t-to start..." The orange dragon said, with his head being pulled back intermittently due to the brushing. He didn't think about going around changing stuff, and honestly he didn't know what exactly he wanted to change. Well, besides making them less cold but he though that might be too much of a stretch. Or too complicated.

"If anything, i guess you could back me up or so until you get an idea..." Val then said to his friend.

The orange dragon blushed when Cystal was starting to get angry at his hair. "Y-you know..." Even more so when he was told his hair smelled like shit. He thought he had already taken care of it but he probably wasn't able to clean it properly due to his messed up "haircut". He turned his head around too see what she had opened. Lotion. Gods knew he needed it.

"Just remember that I don't work miracles" Val said when she said she was pretty confident they could change stuff up.

“I’m serious. You may not see it in yourself. There always has been an unspoken and unexplainable happening around dragons. You guys sometimes subconsciously change your surroundings. I’ve lived long enough to see it happen. Perhaps when you are older, you will see it too. It’s in your nature.”

Crystal believed in the dragons. Even in this terrible time. She has much hope for them that they will find good at the end of it. Whatever the outcome they will be on top somehow.

Crystal finished with Wolnir’s hair. Straight brushed hair and a braid down each side. The lotion made is mane shine and smell like a lotus. She smelled his hair and sighed. Her labour paid off.
“There we are. Much better. Now you’ll get all the girls. If I was a drakaina you’d have me.”

The day passed its peak and the light became timid. Mid-afternoon has arrived. Crystal finally started to feel the cold seep into her. She dressed. For entertainment, she started dancing a magic fireball between her fingers. She won’t leave until Wolnir had his fill of the hot springs.

Ganjiro patience is great but even he wondered if they will ever come out of the cave they entered. He climbed up higher than the entrance and concealed himself well. Hid his mind from Crystal and blocked his scent from the dragon’s senses. Their ability to pick up any scent is unchallenged. He’s been keeping a close eye on the dragons. More so Valadir. He knows of his uneasiness. Ganjiro’s mission is to make sure Valadir leaves the mountains. While he hasn’t made his move yet. He has a couple of ideas swirling around.

On Crystal's words, Valadir remembered that time when he turned that farmer's life around by financing his adventure gear, thinking that she may be up to something but at the same time her words not being automatically true due to a single event.

He looked at how she worked with Wolnir's hair. New haircut. Didn't see him before with it. Knowing his constant care to his image, he found it odd that he didn't get it done sooner.

Wolnir looked at his own water reflection in order to see his new image. Two braids on each side, each with a brown hair tie at the end. He liked it a lot, evident by his facial expression. Not to mention his new fragrance. Thanking his... New barber, he asked if she could cut down the straight part a bit so it could be easier to brush later.

Val did think about how his relationship would be with his friend if himself were female. He'd probably try to be his girlfriend at all costs due to his good-looking-ness but he was to embarrassed to say it out loud. He did joke about a couple haircuts he had, one where he kept it really short and thin for a while and another he personally found pretty ridiculous. One that looked like he had a blue brush running down his neck.

Eventually, a couple hours had passed.
"I'm getting hungry..." The black dragon said eventually. "Want to head to the brewery and see if they have something to eat as well?"
The orange dragon agreed, grabbing his new necklace while he got out of the pool. The temperature difference made him feel a bit cold. Wolnir asked his friend for help with the armor, he didn't really want to wear it due to his new haircut but it was better than having to go and fetch it later. After that he put the necklace on and he was good to go. In case he was indeed going to leave later during the night, Val got a couple of ideas about getting his armor on by himself. Having helped his friend put it on and off a couple of times gave him some ideas.

Crystal followed suit. Dressing as the dragons did. Putting her kimono over her shoulders then tightened it. She couldn’t say she is hungry herself. The few treats she ate still fill her belly. She wouldn’t mind a drink, however.

She picked up Sabato’s egg shard. Had one more good look around. Making sure they didn’t leave a trace of their existence.
“Definitely will be coming here again. Very quiet.”

They left as a group back outside, unto the threshold of the cave. The light has slightly changed its colour. Showing off its early afternoon rays. Its warm beams of light conflict with the winter’s cold. She liked it.

She had a feeling. A prick in the back of her mind. Telling her someone is near. Weak but not to be ignored. She looked up and searched the rocks. ”Probably the blast of arcane I felt before. Still lingering in the air.” Thinking to herself.

With Wolnir’s permission, she climbed onto his back, and they glided back to the Golden Mountain. The thought dawned on her that she doesn’t know where they were going.
With her mind, she spoke to the dragons, ”Perhaps any of you know where we are headed off too? I have no idea where this brewery is.”

The black dragon followed his friend since he had no idea where were they going.

"S-someone told me earlier..." Wolnir said when it was made clear that no one else knew where the place where he was taking them was. "I-it is on the ground floor" He took them back to the mountain and since he didn't fully remember how to get down, he asked around for a bit of help. Eventually someone who had some seconds to spare him told the dragon how to go down and guided his friends to their destination. He didn't know how the brewery would look like but it would be fun to find out since he had never seen one inside a mountain before.

Valadir kept his guard up while they moved. He felt like the more he was inside the mountain, the greater the odds someone would come around and pester him about the usual stuff. If anything, he did see, again, that everyone looked like they had places to be and things to do. Preparing for the inevitable.

Crystal still felt the same cold feeling when walking through the halls of the Golden Mountain. The environment doesn’t sit with her well. It’s exactly like a maze of stone. It’s an interesting idea but not for her.

The brewery wasn’t the easiest to find. Whilst it isn’t clearly indicated, the smell made it apparent they’re at the right place. From the open hallway. They entered a strong-smelling room that isn’t necessarily impressive either. At least with Crystal it isn’t. It is well lit with the flameless lanterns they see everywhere. Giving a warmed and well-lit area. The room is wider than longer. With multiple entrances or exits. Where they entered is to the far right. Not including where they entered, there are another four doors. One large arched iron door to the far left with a smaller wooden door to accompany it. Towards the centre of the opposite wall of them is another large arched iron door that’s opened with drakes labouring over these great wooden barrels. Taking them out and rolling them over to the next iron egress. They couldn’t clearly see what was beyond the door, but it is evident that is where the strong alcoholic smell is from.

Next to that busy door is another smaller wooden square door with a bench in Infront of it, with a drake in front of it. The drake didn’t notice them at first. Seemingly busy with the papers in front of him. Eventually, he noticed the newcomers and quickly rushed over to them.

He bowed his head to the dragons.
“Brightscale, Unbroken. What a pleasant surprise. Thank you for honouring us with your time. How can I make your time leisurely? Oh, Sorry. My name is Quartermaster Coh’chath.”

Co’chath is of dark brown scales. He’s a short skydrake with a large wingspan for his height. Still taller than Crystal, shorter than the dragons.

The dragons thought the visual aspect of the brewery was really uninspiring. The ones up north are way more elaborate and nicer to the eyes. Almost didn't look like one, specially from the outside, but it really smelled like one from a big distance away for the dragons' senses. Valadir thought its positioning was a bit counterproductive from a supply route point of view. For him it looked like it was a bit away from where he thought the supplies would normally cycle though the mountain.

When they entered, Wolnir let Crys get off of him and tried to peek into the... smelliest room since the only other guy in the room seemed busy, but he turned around before the dragon got too far. He returned the gesture while Val lowered his head slightly, just the bare minimum that could be recognizeable as a greeting or an acknowledgement. He found the drake curious, given that most were around his height and green while this one was actually lower than him and with a bit of a llamative coloration. He wouldn't try to pronounce his name though.

"C-could we get a tour of the inside?" The orange dragon asked. If the answer was positive, it would be interesting to see their equipment, the differences to his former workplace and what they were working on. It would be the perfect oportunity to drop his suggestion.

Val didn't expect to get a tour but he wasn't opposed to the idea of getting a peek at what lied on the other side of the stool. He had no idea about how the machinery and the other stuff looked and worked.
"Expect me to drop a ton of questions if we are actually going"

Co’chath scratched his neck and thought about the dragon’s request.
“Well. It’s not that you’re not allowed. It’s very chaotic at the moment due to the announced war conditions. Drinks become a priority. Eh, what harm can it do. Just give me a minute to finish this order first.”

Indicating the barrels, the other drakes are rolling over to the far iron door. He went back behind the counter to finish off the letter he’s writing. Once the other drakes had finished positioning the barrels, Co’chath went over to them and stuck the letter to the barrels. He opened the iron door to reveal a large rectangle platform suspended by four chains for each corner. It is a lift system. With the help of two drakes, Co’chath got the barrels onto the platform. Within the lift walls he cranked a leaver several times before closing the door. Ten seconds later the lift mechanics could be heard. The muffled sound of the chains, hoisting the platform to its destination.

Co’chath opened the door behind him and invited the dragons to come in.
“This way please.”

Crystal can sense Wolnir’s excitement. She is also very curious as to how the drakes create their own drinks. She’d imagine it would be different to the rest of the races, again due to their seclusion.

First, they are greeted by a waft of strong-smelling air. Crystal started sniffling.
They found themselves in a very large open area. The production chamber. The chamber stretches several hundred metres long and sixty metres wide. Eight columns of pillars run down the chamber. Each stone pillar hosts four flameless lanterns. The roof is high, allowing clearance for the large equipment within. Many drakes are walking around, all wearing the same polished iron armour. To Crystal, this is probably the largest production line she has seen.

Each side of the chamber had something going on while in between the centre the columns of pillars are left free, allowing a wide walking space.

Co’chath started explaining how the place works.
“It is split into four sections. The storeroom for ingredients, Preparation and mixing, fermenting and finally packing/storing. We’ll start from the end because that’s where we are.”

On each side of them, their Hundreds of barrels stacked behind the pillars
“This is some of the stock we hold. Ready to be transported. Most of what we keep are in separate storage chambers underneath.”

Wolnir's hope was starting to falter as the drake said that it was really chaotic overall. It sounded like they were going to be turned down and that he'd have to think about something else to pass the time, but in the end he luckily agreed to let them through.

"You told me you worked for a good while moving those around right?" Valadir asked Wolnir when the drakes passed by, who nodded. They had seen the drakes move the barrels to the platform.
"N-not the most fun part..." the orange dragon started to tell. "E-even after they taught me how to make mead and beer, i-i had to move most of the barrels since I am stronger t-than the humans..."

"Yeah, it makes sense seeing it that way..." Valadir said. "At least you got promoted...
Also, how big were your barrels?"

"B-bigger than these..."

The group then entered the platform. Wolnir was excited and he didn't bother to think if it was noticeable or not. He was starting to get some feeling of... normalcy. Like he was having some of his former regular life back by being on known ground.

"I'm guessing you used these often?" The black dragon asked his friend, who nodded. "Ugh. Don't know how you get used to it. Makes me feel a bit claustrophobic"

Val was wide eyed when they got off the platform. The place looked way bigger than he expected. Crowded too. Made sense considering they were amping up the production.

Upon hearing about the sections, Wolnir remembered how his brewery was. The production room was on the center and also doubled as a hub with easy access to the other parts of the building for efficiency. The building itself was huge and must have taken a fortune to build. Now that he thought about it, he never got to see how his supposed boss looked like. He joined Val on inspecting the barrels, see if they could identify their contents. Mead seemed to be the most popular choice by a wide margin. The dragon's brewery normally used oak in order to make the barrels for said drink but these seemed different. Couldn't recognize which kind of wood it was. Maybe it was a regional kind?

"Any chance of getting a sample?" The black dragon joked but hoping that the drake would humor him.

It seemed like his drink suggestion was ready to be, well, suggested. Seemed they didn't have it in store.

"I-i have an idea for a drink", the orange dragon then started suggesting the drake. "I-i was told that you all like tea... Have you thought about making a-a spirit out of it? W-we could give it different flavors and levels of alcohol" The dragon hoped his idea was actually good.

As the dragon’s inspected the barrels, Co’chath noticed something out of place. A couple of the barrels filled with Ale are mixed in with the mead stacks. He called a worker over who overlooked the dispatch and smacked him over the head then ordered him to fix it. After the dragons are looking around of course.

“As you can see we are very familiar with mead. Its particular sweetness has always been a favourite. Creating different tastes with the honey-based drink. We also have ale, cider and a wide variety of spirits thanks to our new distillers.”

Co’chath scratched his neck and took Valadir’s request into account. They can probably get a couple of cups from the fermenting pots. Actually, now that he thought about it, they can pose an excellent test for a new drink he is working on.
“Well. Who am I to say no to a dragon? Now that you have mentioned would you like to try something I’ve been working on?”

Co’chath tilted his head upon hearing Wolnir’s suggestion. Evident that he spiked his curiosity. As they talked, he lead them to the pots. Past the stacks of barrels where the smell is at its strongest.

“It’s true, our addiction to tea is as strong. I don’t think this idea has ever been suggested. To me at least… This is a whole new area of ideas just thinking about it.”
He looked at Wolnir.
“You seem to have some confidence. You’ve done this before?”

In the next section. Surrounded by giant pots filled with different mixtures. These pots are on a long carousel system so they can be easily moved up and down the first three sections, they need to be used. The pots are 3000 litres. Enough to fit two drakes in. Most of the pots have a wooden lid. Co’chath went up to a drake who was about to pour its contents into barrels.
“Grab two cups for the dragons.”

“One for me too please.”
Co’chath looked down and saw the kitsune grinning up at him.

“And something for her as well.”

The drake nodded and sped walked away to complete his order.

Crystal stepped back a bit. By now she’s used to not being recognised by the drakes. Still, she wanted to taste.

Co’chath explained the system while they waited, “This is one of the mead lines. From where we are the pots are poured into the barrels, then with the help of the carousel system, we push the pots back around to be cleaned then onto the mixers ready for the next batch. After the mixers, they stay on the carousel for five weeks before being poured and the cycle continues. This particular line, the water is boiled first before entering the pot. Five-part water, one-part honey and apple. Also known as Cyser mead.”

The drake returned with two cups and a small metal one for Crystal. Co’chath poured a cup for each and handed them out.

"Sure, why not" Val said when he was asked if he wanted to try what sounded like some sort of new project. Considering what he had been told a moment ago, it sounded like he would be having a lot of these drinks when fighting along the drakes so it was better to help get the flavor right. Although he felt like his agreeance didn't sound very sincere. The dragon sneezed when they got to the smelliest area of the place.

"I-i worked at one of the bigger breweries at the capital city b-back home..." Wolnir said when the drake asked him if he had experience. "H-helped to make mead several times" The fact that his idea was met with such interest made him visibly happy. Was excited to see the idea through and felt more confident.

When taken through the area with the huge pots, Valadir asked his friend if those were where the things were actually prepared and he confirmed it. He could hardly believe it. He'd never seen so much alcohol in the same place. To him it looked like that alone could supply a whole human kingdom.

Wolnir listened to the drake's explanation on how things worked in this brewery.
"W-we used modified minecarts to move everything around all hubs, r-rails and all. A-and also 5000 liter pots. We had more than you too..." he said, remembering the countless barrels he had to load in those, be it full of alcohol or ingredients.

"Bit uncanny how you dropping that number like it's nothing" the black dragon added.

The dragons were then given the free, experimental project. Val was quick to try it. Apple was not his first choice mead wise.
"Not bad. You using greens or reds?"

“I see… Perhaps some of your experience can lead us to new ideas. As you probably can tell by now, we don’t talk much with other races. I’ll take you to the storeroom and see what you think you can do. Would you care?”
Co’chath would be delighted to see what Wolnir has in his brain.

“Bigger pots would be nice. The carousel system wouldn’t be able to handle the extra weight. It’s already at its limit. It’s an old system. Older than me but, it works. In truth, tea has always been a drake’s favourite. I do think however, this war will turn the tide in our favour. The flammable properties are too useful. Then maybe my plans for a new building will be seriously considered.”
Co’chath mumbled the last sentence.

The drake titled his head at Valadir, questioning his sentence.
“Green apples exist?”

Crystal liked the drink. Perhaps a little too much. Her liking of apples and honey is probably the reason why. She did chuckle a little when the drake said he didn’t know what green apples are. She found it silly that simple knowledge isn’t known by the mountain people. To be fair the drakes have many everyday items and ways to do things that she never see on the other side.

"I-I'd love that!" The orange dragon said when he was offered a visit to the storeroom. He was excited to get to work and see the available options. Then it would be time to have some fun and be creative.
"W-what's keeping you from updating?" the orange dragon then asked when he was told the system they were using could use some changes.

Valadir thought it would be interesting to see the drakes' stores. Maybe he would get to see some exotic fruits or something the humans didn't have? The possibilities were endless.
He thought the mead tasted more appley than the other apple meads he had tried. Maybe they used more than just the juice? Or maybe it was the local apple variety.
"Well, ye..." the black dragon said when the drake questioned the existence of green apples. He found it really weird that they only had one kind of apple. The humans had two or three of them total. He reminded himself that seclusion and what seemed like misinformation tended to do that sort of thing. "They are sour and thus fit better for sweet stuff, at least in my opinion. Reds have always been more common though"
He didn't drink all the mead cup straightaway. Only some of it so he could keep sipping on it while they went to their next destination.

Wolnir drank the mead sample he was given and told the drake he approved it. Good balance between the flavors of the ingredients. His friend's idea made him wonder how'd it taste like with green, but that didn't seem to be a possibility given the apparent lack of the right kind of apple.

Last edited:
"The mountain has no more room to accommodate large facilities such as this one and here there's no more space here. The idea is to create structures outside the mountain as the agriculturalists have to work. Eragon and half the chiefs and their Seconds turned my plan for fear of times like this supposed war. They rather keep as much as they can be hidden within the stone to protect us but, we have no more space for a growing race. We need to expand production. It's not just us who are struggling. There are other small breweries around the mountain but with them, it is almost not enough still."
Co'chath stopped talking before he grew sentimental over the subject.

"Can't say I have ever seen the green. Seems a little odd to me that they can be that colour and be sour."
He scratched his neck at the thought. He could be overestimating the apple. Perhaps it's red but with green spots on it and it isn't a very strong sour taste.

Walking further down, They roamed in between the many long carousels, each containing tens of pots of drinks. Sorted into groups depending on the carousel they are on. Each pot has a future date on it to let the workers know when they finish fermenting.

They reached the end of the carousel lines where they found drakes stirring the pots with big shaped rods. Around the drakes are tables with thick wooden legs and smooth white stone tops. with buckets and other different shaped containers holding different foods and ingredients along with utensils next to them. The aroma changed. Now many flavours can be smelt. Some are stronger than others. In front of them, however. Where a couple of drakes are pacing to and from to collect and put away these ingredients. To walls that stop in line with the two innermost stone pillars almost meet each other. Roughly a seven-metre gap. The gap served as a walkway into the storeroom.

They walked through and found where the majority of the drakes alcoholic beverages are started. The Storeroom measured sixty metres in width and thirty in length. Three of the walls are lined with a long white stone bench, complete with shelves cupboards, draws, sinks, fireplaces and small bench distillers. Drakes manned the benches, working to prepare the ingredients around them. Create new tastes and so forth. In the middle are much larger distiller stations as well as smaller pots beside them. While three of the walls are occupied the fourth side to their left contains a corridor with a smaller room on the other side containing lines of shelves packed with different ingredients. Then beyond that room is another corridor that splits into cold rooms and a short slight ascending tunnel that opens to the outside world.
As the drakes noticed the dragons, they bowed one by one before returning to their task.

"Well, this is where it starts. As you can see it's actually a kitchen area and the actual storeroom is on our left. Why do we call it that? I have no idea. It kinda just stuck. In that room is where the food is actually stored.
Wolnir, if you would be so kind as to pick out a couple of things and show me what you are talking about. Wait a minute... We don't actually have any tea here."
Co'chath looked for a suitable drake to pick on.
"Danza, go to the farmers and steal every type of tea now."

The green drake turned around with a very confused face. It took her a second to comprehend what he had said before walking out to satisfy the order.

"While she's badgering them. Come, let's go pick a few things out, shall we..." They went into the real storeroom and Co'chath let Wolnir have at it.

Crystal slowly looked around and studied what are on the shelves. The majority of items are the same as the rest of the races. Oats, grains, seeds, plants and animal products. She noticed the giant barrels filled with honey. She found one particular exotic fruit she has never seen before. It is almost a perfect black circle with thick red triangular leaves.

"W-what a shame..." Wolnir said when he was told the reasons of why the brewery couldn't be expanded further. It reminded him of when he visited the biggest one in the capital. Spanned several blocks.

"Maybe when all of this crap is over" Valadir added to the conversation, sipping from his cup afterwards.

"You know how a non mature apple is green?" The black dragon then said when the drake seemed to have issues imagining a green apple "Imagine that for a full sized one. And sour"

When walking between the pots, Valadir noticed the dates in the pots and asked his friend what they were for. The orange dragon checked them and told him it was the finishing date. Some were due to finish next week. That made Val wish he could give them a small try now that it was almost done. Seeing the drakes stirring at the end, Val was remembered of some of the shows he had seen in the theatres. Of people trying to make jumps from a considerable height.

"W-what do you use for the stirring?" Wolnir asked. "W-we used modified paddles from decommissioned ships"

Eventually they arrived to the storeroom and the adjacent room, one of the most interesting parts of the place no doubt. It had a pleasant yet strong fruity aroma mixed with herbs and other things. Enough to overwhelm the nose of anyone, but not a dragon's. They could identify several of the fruits present from the ambient's smell. Wolnir also recognized several of their herbs without even looking at them. They thought the place looked a bit cozy and overall more familiar than the other places, even with what looked like industrial fruit processing going on. Val then ocurred to ask his friend if they did have people processing the ingredients in his workplace, with the brewer dragon nodding. Val also noticed one of the sinks and put his now empty cup in one of them, leaving it as extra work for whoever job was to wash things. He was well aware of the drakes bowing after him and he even made eye contact with some of them but he didn't return it politely like he used to.

"I-it fits though..." Wolnir said when he was told that they didn't originally intend to name the place as Kitchen. He nodded with a smile when he was given permission to go and see what they had in store. He went there with visible excitement in order to get to work. He'd wait until the tea arrived to voice his ideas.

Valadir eyed out the unfortunate drake that was given the task to get the tea, because he hasn't seen many female drakes yet. As Wolnir and Crystal went to check the stores, so did he. He stayed closer to Crystal since the orange dragon seemed focused in his own thing. Eventually he saw that black fruit that looked like an orb of darkness. He then grabbed it and held it in such a way that his guide could see it.
"What about this one? Never seen it before. Is it edible?"
Wolnir turned his head around to see what was up.

"Same concept as the oars of a ship, however, made of iron and increased length of the head. Makes for a more even stir from top to bottom."
Co'chath explained the idea behind the stirring spoons they use.

"That is a malodor fruit. It smells bland from the outside but when cut. The stench is worse than a nycon wolves den. We always keep a few of those around. Makes for a good joke for occasions. Sometimes it serves as a novelty sport in the challenger games; Who can eat the most without hurling your last meal. A word of warning, don't drink with skydrakes. They tend to spike drinks with it."

Crystal quickly stood away from Valadir holding the fruit. She became a little protective. Ready to put up a shield at an instance's notice.
"Val. Please put it down. You're holding a very capable weapon there."
She spoke with a serious tone with humour in her voice but still serious about the subject. She doesn't want any of that on her.

Half an hour passed and Danza had returned with four jars of tea. She gave them to Co'chath and he placed them on a convenient bench.
Danza bowed and walked off to her tasks.
"Here we are. Let's see what we got here. We have valley flower petals (more of a bitter taste from flower petals), fern (from the leaves of the purple fern. Taste like black tea), botcha leaves (like green tea. Many health benefits) and chemlay (smells like perfume and tastes a little like it).
These are the most common around here. I'm feeling the valley flower is your best bet. Goes well with honey mixed in but I'm not sure what's going through your brain..."

Valadir smirked when he heard the fruit's properties. Disgusting.
"Thanks for the warning" It sounded like whatever created the fruit, be it them spirits or the pass of time, intended for it to be more of a defense mechanism. Even if he found Crystal's way of getting away from him kind of funny, he didn't really intend to keep holding that dreadful fruit so he returned it to where he got it from with upmost care.
"Yeah, don't remind me..." He said as he did it. Last thing he wanted was to pierce it with his claws and have the stench on him all day. The dragon, however clenched his eyes and stared at the fruit for a second or two, thinking about what Crys had just said. A weapon?
"You know how we broke out of those cages when you found me and Eragon back then?" Valadir said to her. "They kept making us inhale from this bottled gas every day in order to make us pass out. Weapoinizing the fruit for similar results would be the perfect payback! I'll definitively visit the weaponsmith or whoever to get that going" The dragon ended up being actually excited from presenting that idea.

Wolnir made a mental note to not use that fruit whatsoever. Last thing he wanted was to make a vomit inducing drink.

After a while had passed, Valadir eventually started eating some of the fruits he recognized out of hunger. Only a handful though. Wolnir looked for some small chat in the meanwhile, after having used a good chunk of time coming up with a couple of ideas, waiting for the tea to arrive.
When it arrived, he could hardly wait. He rushed to the bench the jars were being placed, and after the female drake left he began smelling each jar individually.
"T-this one with red berries, a-another with apple and another with orange", he said pointing the fern, "This one with pear and honey for the bitterness, and another with grapes instead of pear", pointing at the valley flowers, "One with lemon and one with peach", said for the green tea and "I-i'm not sure about this one... M-maybe orange, peach and strawberry at the same time, a-and if it doesn't work, t-then do one with each fruit..." he said for the chemlay.

Last edited:
Co'chath considered Wolnir's ideas. He scratched his neck.
"I cannot say I have experience with this idea but, what do I know. I'm a humble drake who has been doing this for merely ninety-six years. Let's give it a try, shall we?
He walked up and down the aisles, grabbed the suggested ingredients, and laid them out next to the tea jars.
"You said creating a spirit before right? The only pure alcohol content we make is from grain. Would you need another source? And perhaps you would like to prepare the ingredients yourself in the kitchen- ur... Storeroom?"

Crystal watched Wolnir from the background. It made her happy to see him enjoy himself. Her content didn't last long as she was interrupted by someone.
"Crystal. Eragon is ill. The like that he may not recover if not treated soon. I need you now."
She recognised the voice to belong to Sabato.
Her mood immediate dropped. Her eyes fell to the ground, her ears flattened and audibly said to herself, "Just one fucken day, please."
"Can't you get someone else?" She replied to him

"No one else can solve it. Elijah is busy doing Elijah things. No one else in the order is skilled enough."

"Fine!"
She terminated the link with a sigh.

She knows that Valadir would have picked up on her. She made sure no one else is within talking distance before looking up at him, not bothering to hide her disappointment.
"Eragon has fallen fatefully ill. I need to see him now. Apparently, it's life or death. I'm sorry, but I need to go. Take care of Wolnir."

She walked over to Wolnir. She made an effort not to be as discouraged as she feels.
"Hi Wol. Sorry to cut it short, but I have been informed that of some important and I need to attend to it. Please forgive me. I'll find you when it's finished. I have something for you."
She gave him a quick hug.
"Enjoy the rest of the day."

When she released him, she gave him a little peck on the cheek and then left his side. She passed Valadir and stared at him for a second. It was a warning for him. Warning him not to do anything stupid over the subject they discussed a few days ago.

"G-grain is fine..." Wolnir said after he was asked about which kind of alcohol he wanted. He felt like he didn't actually have much of a choice with the isolationism going.
"I-i'd love to!" He said when he was offered the chance to prepare the stuff himself. He was excited to start, and honestly he didn't care if his expression made it evident. He happily grabbed the utensils and the fruit and got to work. He squeezed the juice out of the lemons and oranges into some bowls, along with some grated peel. Peeled and deseeded the peaches and pears and asked Val to get him some sieves, some thin ones.
The orange dragon then cubed part of the peaches and pears and strained them through the sieves onto separate bowls to get all the juice out, while he simply cut up the rest. He cut the leaves off of the strawberries and cut them in half, deseeded the cherries but kept them hole, and decided to use the red berries with no processing.

Besides searching for the sieves, Val mostly stayed idle looking at his friend work, noticing his happiness and spreading some of it to him. Not that he had anything against it. If anything, it felt nice to be out of the spotlight for a while. He thought about offering his help with the fruit processing but decided against it since it seemed his friend was enjoying himself. However, he later heard Crystal seemingly venting out her frustration, his attention deviating onto her. Her expression giving away that something was up. It seemed his staring was noticeable enough for her to tell him what was up.

"Yeah, will do. Odd time to fall ill though" The black dragon said. Her words made him think that the so called disease Eragon was suffering was probably part of that portion of the world he didn't know it existed until recently. It probably explained why he or his mate hadn't turned up to pester him yet. Not that he opposed. Didn't want them around today.

Wolnir dropped his fruit processing activity when Crystal went to apologize and hugged her back for a handful of seconds. He seemed to get sad out of it since he didn't want her to leave in his special day, but he knew she was a busy individual and there was little he could do about it.
"I-i'll wait for you..." He said, watching her go. He took a deep breath and went back to work.

"What?" Valadir said with a bit of confusion when Crys stared at him on her departure.

Co'chath watched Wolnir. He has done this before, able to back up his talk about where he used to work. It is good to see a new face who has the knowledge and some skill in his area of expertise. More so, a dragon. It makes the drake excited.
"I see you are familiar with the process. It's good to see another who knows the profession."

Co'chath picked a small barrel for Wolnir and placed it next to him. When he is ready he can put all the ingredients in there and stir them.

While Wolnir laboured, Co'chath struck a conversation with Valadir.
"Unbroken, What business did you take part in before travelling to the mountains? By the looks of it, you have done a lot of travelling."

Crystal. quickly made her way to the Sanitorium. Sabato guided Crystal's way to the room he is in. She found the room with four guards in front of it. Approaching the guards, they stared at her. With their body expression, they made it clear that they are not going to let her in. Regardless she continued forward until she stood right in front of them.
"I need to help my friend in there."

The closest drake stared her down and snorted.
"The Queen's order is that no when shall enter except herself and the practising kitsune."

"That practising kitsune needs help right now. Unless you want to be the one who explains why Eragon will needlessly suffer to Lenera. I suggest you let me through."

The drake growled and pointed his spear at Crystal.
"You will not pass rat. Rid of your body, else I will be forced to do it for you."

Crystal's unimpressed face only conveyed some of the anger that is quickly building up in her. She does not have time for this. She could fetch for Lenera but it will take too long to find her. She cannot sway the drakes opinion so she is left with one choice. Force her way in. Her ears flattened, tails bundled together. Before she could throw a spell at them a voice entered her mind.
"Let her pass! I need her assistance."
Sabato's voice. The drakes heard it as well as they had a second of confusion before easing up and lifting their weapons but they did not lift their angry gaze at her. Crystal smirked and skipped right passed them. That could have been messy, real quick. To be honest, she didn't know if she could beat them. She hasn't fought drakes all that much.

She pushed the door open and is greeted by a low-lit room. The ambience is solemn. She immediately felt the off-putting energy. She quietly closed the door before walking around the table set in the middle. Looking up she found Eragon's overhanging tail on one side. To the other side, she just managed to see Sabato's head. His expression showed deep concentration. She felt the mental bridge between him and Eragon. It is a one-sided connection. Nothing is coming from Eragon.

Sabato opened his eyes and acknowledged Crystal. He invited her to the top of the table.
"Thank you for helping me."
She climbed the leg of the table and sat next to Sabato. He invited her into the mental link. She closed her eyes

"What is the issue?"
Instantly she asked.

"It is like his mind is locked. Or being guarded and I cannot break it. See for yourself.

Crystal extended her mind to Eragon but is stopped by a solid barrier. She tried to go around it. Find a gap in the defence. Attempted to brute force her way in but she cannot find a way through. She is stunned at the strength of it. It is not Eragon who's putting it up. She would have been able to pass it. She can count on one hand how many others can create such an impenetrable defence and it is extremely unlike it is any of them. Normally she can find the source of the telepath but there is no trail. it seems to be self-sufficient.

She asked Sabato,
"Where was Eragon before this?"

"Lenera said she found him at the Crystal Caves. Unconscious on the floor. But watch this. I'll attack the wall. Watch his body react."

Crystal opened her eyes and watched Eragon's physical Body. When Sabato attacked the barrier Eraogn's body flinched. She tilted her head. confused at what she is looking at.

"Whatever it is. It's attached itself to Eragon on the other side of the wall." Sabato explained.

Crystal pondered on the gathered information.
"It must be a spirit that has embedded itself into Eragon's mind. Either way, this is above me. I think this is an Elijah problem. If it's a spirit, he will know how to combat it."

We will call Elijah?"

"No, we must take Eragon to him."

"Good luck convincing Lenera."

"I'm sure she will come around."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back