Idea Brainstorming an SAO (sorta AU?) RP

Bronco

I pull levers
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
The Gist: SAO, but with "gamers". You know the type: spewing banter steeped in irony, continually ragging on each other, have absolutely no moral code outside of for the memes, but still have that redeeming loyalty when it really counts. Essentially we'd be inserting a band of degenerates into a slightly tweaked SAO, though the presence of cannon characters outside of their adventures is still up for debate.

The Tweaks: Numero Uno, we're one hundred percent adding ranged weaponry. An MMO without magic is understandable, and perhaps would even be welcomed by the current market. However, one that eliminates any kind of ranged combat would surely cut a MASSIVE amount of players out of its target audience. We'll be rectifying this.

Numero Dos, any other tweaks y'all can think of. Post them below if you've got one.

The Plot: I'm actually pretty torn on this and would like your opinions, mainly because this also ties in to the idea of not including canon characters. There are three avenues I can think of to address this quandary.

Firstly, we can just decide to come up with our own little quest to take on while the events of the series unfold. This would exclude any main canon characters (as background characters should be fine) from the RP while we accomplish our own goals.

Second, we could literally just replace Kirito with our player characters. I'm hesitant on this one because it would essentially make this look like some kind of self insert power trip, BUT it'd eliminate the need to come up with a plot for our group. This option would allow us to interact with larger canon characters from the show, as we'd essentially just be following in Kirito's footsteps until reaching the final boss. I'm sure we could find ways to deviate from the topics of the show's episodes, but we'd definitely stick to the content provided in them as much as possible.

Third, we change absolutely nothing regarding the presence of characters and just follow along with the main characters. Now this one is REALLY teetering on the edge of bad fanfic material, but again there'd be minimal need to plot and it also opens up a few more characters for interacting with. We'd have to watch ourselves with this option, as the goal would not to become main characters but to remain in the background. We'd assist in the larger guild battles, be present for some plot points, but we probably wouldn't stick to the canon characters like glue.

The End: So I think that sums up everything I've got in my head on this. This is a concept at the moment, and none of the tweaks or options above are set in stone. I'm very much willing to grab some more opinions from any interested parties. So let's get cracking people, and see if we can't do anything to spice up what most regard as a pretty mundane anime.

For a SAO RP I usually like it when Kirito and his gang just disappear altogether so the players can be the one that be the frontliner without clashing with canon story, if they want to, but playing as Laughing Coffin might be fun too XD
Second, we could literally just replace Kirito with our player characters. I'm hesitant on this one because it would essentially make this look like some kind of self insert power trip, BUT it'd eliminate the need to come up with a plot for our group. This option would allow us to interact with larger canon characters from the show, as we'd essentially just be following in Kirito's footsteps until reaching the final boss. I'm sure we could find ways to deviate from the topics of the show's episodes, but we'd definitely stick to the content provided in them as much as possibl
Kirito's floor clearing journey had been unclear in many places, definitely lots of potential for GM to improve. Just don't suddenly throw Kayaba in and let him be defeated through the power of haxx mode.

Yeah I think I was leaning towards option two myself after thinking it over. I do still want to hear from those interested however, so we'll see what other points people bring up.

On the subject of bridging the gap between floors, like the jump in the beginning from floor 1 to LITERALLY 26, that would be where our sidebar misadventures come into play.

I think any of the three options would work, they all have solid pros and cons. I guess it all falls down to what exactly you want the roleplay‘s pace to be. You want a faster paced roleplay? Go with option 3. You want a roleplay where the players mainly define the pace? Option two. You want something with a slower pace? Option 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back