• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Bounty Hunters, Mercs, and Other Such Scoundrels IC [CLOSED]

B
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete

In the 30 years since humanity joined Galactic Society, politics have gotten a lot more complicated. This means a lot of things, but the only thing you care about is that the Bounty Hunting business is booming!

BackSet

Ray of Sunshine
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Fennec loved piloting. This was, perhaps, the only thing about them that was not a lie. Everything else was a lie. Their personality. Their walk. Their dress. Even their name was a lie (which meant that every time she used a pseudonym it was a double lie). But their love of piloting? That was not a lie.

The current mission they, that is to say, their team was on was to steal some experimental tech from a high security vault. Apparently the tech had been stolen from their client by a rival scientist who planned to claim it as their own. This was fairly routine. Breaking into high security vaults was nothing new for any of them. The problem was that the vault was in the middle of a frozen wasteland planet and there was nowhere for her to land. The Silver Fox, like most starships, didn't really have landing gear. If you wanted to land a starship you had to find a spacedock, sometimes not actually in space, and "land" there upon which a set of docking clamps would attach themselves to your ship, allowing you to turn it off without it falling to the ground and getting damaged.

Most of the time, if you want to land on a planet without a spacedock you take a drop shuttle. But the Silver Fox did not have a drop shuttle. Fennec hadn't exactly had much use for one when they were on their own and they were expensive. Not more expensive than the Silver Fox itself but its, surprisingly, much easier to steal an experimental ship than a drop shuttle. And Fennec wasn't about to waste any of their time on that.

To complicate things even more, there was also a heavy snowstorm going on, which reduced visibility and fucked up radar. However, the good news was that it also fucked up the radar of the vault, allowing them to get closer than they usually could without being detected. The better news was, Fennec was the best pilot in the entire damn galaxy.

While the ship lacked a drop shuttle it did have several speeder bikes. So if they got in low enough, Fennec could open the cargo hatch and the team could ride out towards the vault. That was the plan, at least.

"Get ready, lovelies!" She said into the intercom. "We're approaching the drop point. Hope you're bundled up snugly."

Last edited:
Time. There was a time for sleep, a time to eat, times for other things including meditating which is what Shane had been doing. In my quarters. Alone. It was his custom to do so before he needed to get ready for a mission. He had switched from the holographic tropical forest motif that superseded the normal walls, the one he preferred sleeping with most probably because of his ape forebearers, to one of the holographic environments he used for his meditating. This one was set in a Garenian gazebo. It was a wooden structure in the shape of an octagon. There were four openings, one facing each direction. The other four walls had small windows. The floor was painted with a mandala and at the center, there was a flame.

The gorilla sat with legs crossed, fingers aligned, and eyes focused on the fire. He wore his pants but nothing else. The only sounds, besides his beating heart and the the flaring of his nostrils, were the crackle of the embers. The minutes had passed until an alarm on his holoforger babbled. It was time to get ready. He tapped on the six inch apparatus attached to his wrist to turn it off. Back to the realism of his quarters on the Silver Fox.

Shane reflected on the current mission which piqued his interest more than some of the missions. Anything having to do with technology sent tingles throughout his body. He studied the briefing and dressed accordingly. He rummaged through his belongings and strapped on a pair of googles which hopefully would help increase his visual acuity in the blustering snowstorm. His eyes looked larger than they actually were because of the lenses. I'm glad Seneca's going on this. His eyes will be invaluable. Satisfied that he was sufficiently prepared, he exited his quarters and headed to the meeting area.

Another being was thinking of time: RSAD-X, but mostly called Seneca because that is how he introduced himself. He was a just slightly over two foot robotic spider whose exoskeleton was composed of duranium, the same used for starship hulls. The bulk of his time was on the bridge or in the engine room, otherwise he was here or there on a variety of chores because his size bode well for tasks requiring a body of his shape and size. His room, if one could call that, was the cargo hold. He selected this to be his quarters. In an unobtrusive and safe corner on the ceiling, he laid out his synthetic web to rest on if he desired to do so which was extremely rare. Sleep is for biologicals, not for me.

Seneca was currently in the meeting area, where the away team gathered before they set out. He waited off to the side and waited for Shane, or rather Durango as he was referred to. His companion's true name had only been said a couple of times. Once when we came aboard and the second was when he had his birthday or podday as I called it for the first time here. The others wanted to know why I called it a podday and I was going to explain but he gave me that look so I shut my yapper. Speaking of which...

Shane approached with alert eyes with appropriate clothing to shield him from the cold. Seneca has no qualms about the cold because of the materials used in his construction. He knew that if he could venture outside of the ship while in space as he was, the frigid environment of this world was not that much of a concern when compared to other variables.

The gorilla looked down at his lifelong friend, "I see you beat me here." The spider's eyes looked up as he trilled, <Yup. You look sufficiently dressed.> Fennec's voice came through the intercom to inform that they were approaching the drop point. His mandibles quivered in anticipation. "Hope you're bundled up tightly." Seneca quipped, <He sure is.> His eyes keep a lookout for the others.

Eddie was working in his makeshift lab in the back of his quarters. It was small but his work didn’t need space. The door had a modified lock so that a power failure wouldn’t lock him in there or allow people to break in.

This was one of the only times he didn’t wear his helmet. The gas mask was still watching him mocking him he could almost here it saying Freak. Monster. He tried to ignore it. He heard the announcement and put on the insulated suit. He tested the color changing modification. The suit shifted from white to black to his signature navy blue. He grabbed his gear and headed to the bridge.

Barregon "Big Iron" Cash was working on Intrepid, his personal speeder. It was personalized to resemble a horse and could be steered with the rider's legs so they could have their hands free. He'd likely have to do some repairs after the mission, but a cowboy didn't begrudge his steed's needs. Plus he had the "Thunder Bill, Desperado" audio show playing on the space radio so it was practically a recreational activity.

Cash ran a hand through his prematurely gray hair. He really should try to make more of a plan for the future. Sure they had work lined up, but shouldn't there be more to look forward to? Leadership had fallen to him by virtue of being the only one not to outright reject it, but that was no reason to shirk his given duty. That would be un-cowboy-like.

Therapists had said that Cash was dealing with the trauma he experienced during the war by retreating into a cowboy persona based on the numerous cowboy-related works of fiction he'd consumed, but Cash figured that even if that was true it was better than turning to drugs or alcohol like so many other former soldiers.

And it's not like that was true anyway, Cash followed the Code of the Cowboy because it was an honest, upright way of living that brought him fulfillment and gave an excuse to keep killing and claimed it was justified, no that's not a particularly cowboy-like thing to think. He did right by those who did right and paid back those who did wrong and got paid doing it.

Hearing Fennec's voice over the intercom, Cash sighed and put on his gear.

"Oh well. Here I go again."

Darkness

Unlike the other members of the crew, Darkness didn't have a room of her own. She didn't need it. Instead the cat had a few boxes scattered throughout the ship for her to sleep in. The lounge area was her favorite spot though, it had everything she wants from large sofas to large screens to large packs of snacks. Darkness had been watching a gory thriller movie on the screen when Fennec announced their proximity to their next target.

"Finally, some damn action." The cat stretched her body before she jumped down from the sofa and walked towards the cockpit area.

"Ew, blizzard." The cat wasn't amused by the sight of the storm that covers their target. While it did indeed make their approach easier, it also means every personnels there would be inside the building rather than doing their activities outside. No use of worrying about it though. Whatever happens, happens.

"Fennie, tell us about the object again." Darkness jumped onto one of the vacant seat next to the kitsune and made herself comfortable.

BackSet BackSet

Ayat was laying on a hammock-like spread, soft strings adorned with red, orange and turquoise beads at the ends attaching to deeply colored wood poles in the corner of their quarters. A sort of make-shift four-poster bed. This is usually where sleep and reading was accomplished when there wasn't grime to scrub off the kitchen counters or a leaky pipe needing a fix in a bathroom. Usually work just consisted of those mundane everyday tasks, and though occasionally someone made a mess in their area and needed a good sweep, most of the time the crew was sufficient enough to not need a maid at their beck and call.

And A was ever so grateful. They had time to do what they pleased even with a crew that was always involved in some escapade, and to be right in the middle of adventure and autonomy over how the day passed (most of the time at least)--wasn't that was what life was worth living for?

This time, they were laying on her stomach, their long white hair caught under their chest, and their big fish-like eyes scanning across the pages of a new acquisition--Settlers: The Intergalactic Curse of Imperialism & the Mythology of the Colonizer-Related Proletariat. Chewing on what looked to be a dried and salted anchovy and sucking the salt from it before chewing, they muttered the words they read to themselves out loud.

Suddenly hearing Fennec's pleasant voice over the intercom, they blinked, closed the book, and stretched, rolling on to their back and then upright before shivering looking down at the snowy landscape below. Time to put on the furs and muffs for this one. This part was always the most risky for them, sure they had a knife for self-defense, but they were no good with dealing with weapons with their slow reaction time so they usually just borrowed someone else's and stayed by the side of one of the other crewmates that were more skilled with offense. Relying on this kind of luck could only work for so long, however.

Yar
1674346302110.png
the large armored figure slowly worked on cleaning their large rocket launcher, multiple tendrils of nanites carefully removing the build-up of fuel and scorches from the rockets and its use over the last mission Yar produced what sounded like dubstep tunes, in reality, this was Yar more or less singing a song a tune they had learned a long time ago during their time in the military it was more or less a song to remind one of how to maintain their weaponry though to anyone who didn't know the Grendalor language hearing the intercom the large armored figure that was Yar got up stretching a bit with a mechanical hissing. "got it boss ready to drop" they'd say in a gruff tone heading properly towards the drop doors ready to start the mission

Fennec Reynard
Pilot, Seductress, Technomage
Music Box: N/A

Fennec sighed. "Yar, you know I'm not the boss."

Technically speaking, they didn't have a boss. Generally speaking they defaulted to Cash's leadership but officially they had no leader. You'd figure such a setup would cause a lot of group tension and in-fighting, what with them being criminals and all, but it was going fairly smoothly for them. That could change, of course. They'd only been together for a few missions. But if things did change and they became wrought with infighting and coups, Fennec was fairly certain they'd be unaffected aside from maybe some revenue issues. After all, they were quite literally the only one who could pilot the ship. She had free reign to kick the lot of them off the ship if she wanted to. Aside from Vixen and Coco, of course (even if they did want to get rid of that cat, and they didn't, they were fairly certain she'd find a way back in anyways).

Speaking of Coco, the cat had arrived in the cockpit. There was a "look what the cat dragged in" joke in there somewhere but Fennic doubted they could come up with anything the cat hadn't already heard. Fennec absentmindedly scratched her behind the ear (because apparently the inherent instinct to pet any fluffy cute thing that sits next to you crosses the species barrier) as she asked about the object they were after, throwing in a cutesy nickname for good measure.

"I'm not entirely sure, myself, Coco." Fennec replied, making sure the intercom was off before they spoke. They had promised not to reveal the cat's nickname to the rest of the crew but still delighted in using it in private. "Some fancy experimental tech that our client claims was stolen from him. Course, the only experimental tech I need is right here." They patted the Silver Fox's dash. "Isn't that right, Vixen?"

"While I'd love to engage in some ego boosting self-aggrandizing, I believe we are on a time limit." Vixen replied. "This storm won't last forever, after all, and when it lets up we'll be detected."

"Oh right." Fennec said. They turned the intercom back on. "We are now over the drop point. Anybody on the away team not in the hanger bay better get down there as soon as possible."

Eddie unloaded his pack making sure everything was there and in working order. Inside was parachute, his rifle, several gadgets, some explosives, and throwing knives. He sighed an ran diagnostics on his armor. Everything was working so he head too the hanger bay. He passed the others but avoided interaction the few responses he made where muffled and metallic from the helmet he hadn’t removed in front of anyone after the experiments.

Darkness

Darkness leaned her head towards Fennec as they scratched her ears and let out a short purr. Though her ears perked up a bit when she heard that not even Fennec knows what the objects look like.

"Well, let's just hope our host is kind enough to put a glowing neon sign with 'stolen experimental tech' written above it." The cat said sarcastically. "Else we might need to kill everybody there and search through the entire place."

"Oh, speaking about killing things... I should talk to him." Jumping from the seat, Darkness ran out of the cockpit and look for a certain gunslinger until she found him. She casually approached him and jumped into his shadow, melting her entire body until she practically vanished from the material realm.

"Hey, beef guy! Have some spare guns I can borrow? I want to try pew pewing some heads." Darkness' voice came out of Cash's shadow.

BackSet BackSet Gravitational Force Gravitational Force

Shane and Seneca​

Reaction: Teammates

"This is the correct place, right?" Shane looked at Seneca whose head turned 360, the robot's way of physically expressing confusion. There was no one here, yet. The spider intoned, <We do have multiple meeting areas after all. Meeting areas for meals, meeting areas for briefing or debriefing, yadda yadda.> Fennec's voice came on again and informed that the hangar bay was the place to be. Correct place then, so... The robot summed it up, "Early ape gets the banana?" The gorilla rolled his eyes and did a facepalm.

Seneca then beeped in a more serious tone, <Ah, footsteps! I hear footsteps. Ahoy there!> He scuttled up Shane's legs and positioned himself on the gorilla's back like some mechanical backpack. He often had to do this to get a better view. It was either this or climb up the way and with the mission nearly underway, it was a waste of time considering that he'd have go get on Shane's back anyway. He shouted, "Durango and I are here getting ready." He wished that Shane would someday construct a endoskeleton made that he could climb inside and pilot so he could move about in a humanoid way. The cost of the necessary materials and transient lifestyle made that possibility unlikely for now.

Shane busied himself by checking his pockets, secured by zippers. Years ago, he had pockets secured by snaps or velcro. Zippers were much more efficient. The gorilla got his bat from its harness strapped to shoulder and gave it a few swings. He had long been on the fence of giving it a name. He had forged it from discarded titanium back home found in the junkyard, the same place where he found the two keys that were on his chain necklace. He had only seen keys in a book and nothing in the colony needed keys such as these so he pocked them and after buying a plain chain necklace, started to wear them like a pendant.

Shane regarding the bat in his hands. He knew how to use firearms from pistols to rifles, and mostly was called upon to wield the heavier weapons, but he preferred melee weapons if he had to use a weapon. Bat suitable, hands better. He looked at his ape hands and smiled. Although he considered himself to be gentle, he was fully aware that a certain thrill entered his heart whenever he used his hands to wallop opponents.

Jy'Novia

Jy'Novia sat in her new room rearranging things. It was pretty spacious and the Larsopian had no complaints since their bed was what was taking up most of the space. Their closet was magically connected by a doorway so she only really had her bed and makeup vanity. While telekinetically putting on her makeup, Jy'Novia tapped away at her holo-screen. When Fennec's voice came through the intercom, Jy'novia began to make her way to the cockpit.

Jy'Novia was the most recent crew member to join and she was happy to be a part of the crew but upset since she hadn't gotten a chance to flex her intel-gathering skills before the first mission. Her connections could get her a little more info on the item they were about to steal, but she also was craving a little physical activity. She contemplated her actions as she made her way to the cockpit with Fennec," Sup Foxie! I think I'll chill on the ship with you and the AI. Gimmie some time and I'll be able to pull up some info for the mission!" Jy'novia spoke with a cheerful demeanor as if the team wasn't on their way to a dangerous mission. Flipping their hair over their shoulder Jy'Novia sat down,"Everybody does have a comlink, right? If I get any more info we could fill them in ASAP!"

BackSet BackSet

Darkness

Darkness leaned her head towards Fennec as they scratched her ears and let out a short purr. Though her ears perked up a bit when she heard that not even Fennec knows what the objects look like.

"Well, let's just hope our host is kind enough to put a glowing neon sign with 'stolen experimental tech' written above it." The cat said sarcastically. "Else we might need to kill everybody there and search through the entire place."

"Oh, speaking about killing things... I should talk to him." Jumping from the seat, Darkness ran out of the cockpit and look for a certain gunslinger until she found him. She casually approached him and jumped into his shadow, melting her entire body until she practically vanished from the material realm.

"Hey, beef guy! Have some spare guns I can borrow? I want to try pew pewing some heads." Darkness' voice came out of Cash's shadow.

BackSet BackSet Gravitational Force Gravitational Force
Cash shook his head, the cyborg looking disappointed to see Darkness treating weapons so flippantly.

"My guns are special, best you get your own weapons. Something you can be proud of."

He made a mental note to see about taking her shopping for that. Or more likely delegating that task.

Cash swung his leg over Intrepid's back and started doing a last-second check of his ride before switching on his microphone.

"Alright partners, remember that we're here to retrieve our client's goods, it's one thing if the thieves resist returning it, but no needless killing or looting. That ain't the Cowboy way."

In all likelihood Cash's request would be ignored, but the man was too deep in his persona to admit it.

"Now just follow my lead and let's hope this goes smoothly."

Having said that he kicked Intrepid into motion and sped off towards their target. His cybernetics meant he was able to see clearly through the storm and suffered no ill-effects from the cold. The lab boys who'd modified him had wanted a soldier who could fight in any terrain and they'd gotten one.

Only that soldier hadn't wanted to keep fighting a way, choosing instead the way of the Cowboy.

Eddie sighed and handed Shadow a Makarov Pistol he had on him and jumped through a portal to the rood where he hooked up his rappelling gear. He hooked up the gear and checked his map for the server rooms. After a few minutes he arrived at the window. He placed a small explosive that barely shattered the rooms window. He dove through the window opeing fire on the two guards with his tranquilizer gun.

Fennec Reynard
Pilot, Seductress, Technomage
Music Box: N/A

"All right, dears." Fennec said. "Get ready for the cold. Opening the hatch now. Oh, and remember, if comms ever go out just use the signal flares to call for a pickup."

Fennec flipped a few switches and pressed a few buttons. Down below the ship's cargo hatch opened and out dropped the away team on their bikes.

"You know I could have just opened that myself, right?" Vixen asked.

"I know, but it just feels better to do it myself." Fennec replied with a flippant hand gesture.

"If you say so." Vixen replied. If she had any eyes, Fennec assumed she'd be rolling them.

Behind them, the door opened and Novia entered the cockpit, announcing her intentions to stay on the ship. She was the most recent addition to the crew but her talents would undoubtedly be useful to them. Plus she had impeccable taste.

"The AI has a name, you know." Vixen said, annoyed.

"Oh settle down, Vix, she's new here." Fennec chuckled. "I'm sure she just forgot your name. Happens all the time. Speaking of, how are you settling in here, dearie? Darkness giving you any trouble?"

Darkness

"Beef guy, you don't want us cats to pose weapon other than our claws and fangs. That would doom humanity." The shadow said while letting a brief giggle. When Eddie handed her a pistol an arm made of solid darkness stretched out of Cash's shadow and grabbed the firearm.

"Nice, Eggie. I prefer ones that shoot laser but this will do." While the shadow arm was inspecting the weapon and clumsily tried to unlock the safety measure Eddie had went by himself and blasted through a window.

"There he goes alone... RIP Eggie, you will be missed." Cash's shadow clasped its hands as if it was praying. "So, beef guy, do you want to go with Eggie down there. Or do you think we should go the other way and enter from the other side for extra chaos, eh? Wink wink nudge nudge."

Gears Gears Gravitational Force Gravitational Force

Yar
1674346302110.png
"right sorry sorry... old military jargon.. hard to forget about" Yar said awkwardly rubbing the back of his helmet with a sigh "still im ready to go got all my weapons preped drop should be fine i used to do this a fair bit with my unit" they'd say jovially. "anyway how much longer are we gonna need to wait id rather this not drag on too long in and out seeing as if we fuck up were stranded" they'd once again comment looking over at everyone before thinking once more "all know what we are supposed to be doing? everyone knows their roles yes?" they'd once more ask making sure to get confermation.

Eddie inserted a device into a server and waited a minute before a light flashed green and he said “This is Gears, I have access to lights, cams, and most doors” Eddie piled the unconscious guards in a corner of the room and wired their radios for All Clear before climbing back to the roof.

Jy'Novia

Jy'Novia waved her perfectly manicured hand across her holo-screen, from bottom to top, sending it to the ship's screen in front of her. The Larsopian chuckled at Fennec and Vixen as she turned slightly to face Vixen, "So does my lipstick, but it isn't illegal." She winked at the AI as she pulled out her lipstick to reapply, although she didn't actually need it. Turning back, Jy'Novia began to tap quickly at her keyboard. On the screen, multiple windows and apps began to open and close in quick succession. Doing a quick spin in her chair for fun, Jy'Novia stopped to face Fennec," Things take time, but I am happy to be on another job so quickly. Everyone is....Unique, especially the...cat? It is a cat right!? And why is its name 'Darkness'!? Who named it that!? Did it name itself...and why Darkness? " Jy'Novia leaned with a serious face as her questions flowed out.

BackSet BackSet

Eddie kneeled on the roof of his building. He opened a gun case, inside was the parts for his various weapons. After assembling a sniper rifle he added a tripod before running calculations based on the wind speed, temperature, and distance between most targets. After checking his sights he used the mobile computer to run diagnostics and tapping into the security cameras. "The vault is a tricky one but I can lower around half of the safeguards in an hour, what's our time frame?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back