Born of Ravnica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gru grinned, "So, 'Shove off.' A request, or a command, Kavlov?" His trunk waved back and forth as he tried not to laugh, his eyes squeezed tight. "The park is... quite green, Alice."

Gru moved off toward the prison, "Good seeing you Niev, Alice, Mouse. Until next time Kavlov."

Alice eyed the hooded figure curiously for a moment as she heard her grumbling about something, but then smiled warmly to her after her rhyme. “Very nice. I’d be clapping except that my hands are a little full.” She then turned to the hybrid, her face paling slightly at the mention of the spider. “Oh, Thia... yeah, I know them. I always love talking to them when I’m working, just... not so much with the spider around. I try, but it’s just that they’ve got so many legs and eyes and then there’s the webs and pincers...” She shivered at the thought before turning to see Gru taking his leave. “Green was kind of the goal. Have a nice day, Mr. Gru!”

Thia:

"I didn't actually get a lot of information on what's happening, but the council requested representation from most of the guilds to be present. It seems there's some criminal who has escaped from prison. I'm not sure why it's a city-wide, multi-guild issue, but then again, I'm brand new." Trovik shruggs his large shoulders. He never stopped as he walked with Thia to the prison and as you arrive, you notice as group that is obviously made up of more than a few guilds standing near the front gates of the prison talking. "I suppose that will be the rest of our crew." Thia immediately recognises a few of the faces in the small crowd.

A light rain begins to patter on the cobblestone of the street in front of the gate as the sun sets behind the spires and towers of the city. You see a male vedalken in well-tailored clothes approach your group from the side of the prison. His deep blue face bears a gentle but concerned expression. He raises his hand to hail you and he unlocks the gate. “I hope you are the group who is here to help us find something,” he speaks in a low tone so as not to bring attention to your meeting. He ushers the 7 of you inside the gate and takes a few moments to look you over.

As his eyes pass over Rhet, they go wide for a moment with surprise, but he attempts to not make his concern obvious. “We’ve called you all together to find a prisoner who escaped during his transport.” He hands Gru a small dossier with an image of a goblin attached to the front of it. “His name is Krenko, the boss of a large group of rebel goblins. He was apprehended recently for a long list of crimes, but we think he recruited one of the guilds to assist in his escape.” As he says this, his gaze lingers for a few moments on Rhet.

Shrugging into her cloak more she listens to the Veldaken, as she notices his lingering gaze she clicks her tongue. Looking up through the shadows of her hood she glares back with a wicked grin her heavy eyeliner giving her an even more impish look.

Well it wasn’t me,” a chuckle escapes her as she licks at her eye tooth. “It was probably an inside job if you ask me, but you go right ahead and point fingers.

Indicating the others she lassos her arm then points at herself. “We all came to help, you want it or not?” Her jaw set tightly as she internally cursed the forsaken hollow veined cryptic arse that gave no details.

As the rain began to come down, Alice held up her painting overhead to allow it to mix and blend the colors. Noticing the rest of the group heading for the gate of the prison, she decided to follow them as well. She gave Thia a surprised smile at seeing them approach, but then shuddered involuntarily at seeing the legs of the spider on their back peeking out. She made sure to keep at least two layers of friends between them as she listened to the Vedalken's briefing, feeling more and more like she was in the wrong place as he went on.

After Rhet's comment about how they all came to help, Alice added, "Well, I didn't. Not that I wouldn't love to help, of course! This Krenko sounds like a really bad guy, and I wouldn't hesitate at all to help if I can. I just ran into my friend and offered to walk him here though, so I'm not sure that you want me. At the very least I can say that I don't think that the Conclave would ever willingly work with a goblin thug."

The vedalken's jaw tenses as he attempts to remain calm after Rhat's comments. "I've only heard there was a riot in the streets while he was being transported, and the wagon was destroyed in some kind of brawl." he stares Rhet down for a moment, "I in no way meant to implicate you, miss."

He looks to Alice, puzzled, "I did request a representative from Selesnya." He turns his gaze to Trovik, glaring.

"I... I, uh, was having a hard time finding anyone from Golgari to follow me..." Trovik muttered nerviously.

The vedalken waved his hand at the minotaur dismissively, "nevermind. Yes, miss, we could definately use your assisstance," he bows apologetically to Alice.

Last edited:
At Kavlov's mention of the hybridization, Niev lifted an arm, glancing at the wing-like fins, "Yes ... that happened. Not too long ago either ... but definitely after I last saw you."

With Gru taking his leave she started to follow, "Not getting rid of me that easily ... I was asked to be here as well." She waved to Thia as she noticed their approach, then listened to the Vedalken who approached. The rain beginning to fall, she couldn't help herself as the fins started to spread out -- an annoying tendency thanks to the Simic fascination with water-dwelling creatures. Following the Vedalken as he led them in, she attempted to peer at the drawing Gru was given, before glancing over at Rhet as the speaker's gaze seemed to linger on her.

Adjusting her hold on her bag she slowly raised a hand, "Given ... that most structures were built by Izzet engineers and construction techniques, am I right to think a representative was requested to ... figure out where they might have potentially gone? Any hiding places, or I suppose maintenance tunnels nearby?" Lowering her hand she instead ran it through her hair as she thought, "The riot ... do you know who all was involved and their own ties? The wagon as well, how do you mean 'destroyed'? Pulled apart ...? Burned?" She tapped her chin, "... black powder?"

Shaking her head briefly she looked back around at the group, "Er ... apologies, I expect some of you are more experienced in this, however my mind tends to race ahead at times, only to get stuck in loops later. Best to get as much as I can out there before I either doze off, or lose track of the conversation." Niev blinked for a moment, "Speaking of tracks ... where was the transport even headed, and how far along was it when it was attacked ...?"

Thia listened carefully as they kept pace with Trovik. The large minotaur was moving quickly enough that for every step he made Thia had to take two.

'A criminal who escaped from the prison?' Thia thought to themselves as they saw the group assembled in front of the prison, a few individuals standing out amongst the group.

Seeing Alice's smile, Thia'Varis gave a wave of their hand, causing Khel to put one of his legs around their shoulder to steady himself from the sudden movement. Thia didn't even need to cast one of their spells to know what Khel meant by the gesture, though it looked like Alice had noticed that Khel was with them.

'One of these days I'll remember to make a cloak or something to hide Khel.' Thia reminded themselves as they returned Niev's wave, watching her fins spread out at the sudden rain.

Listening intently to the briefing, Thia did their best to commit the information to memory. 'Krenko the boss of rebel goblins.' Thia repeated in their own mind.

At Niev's suggestion of tunnels, another thought entered Thia's mind. 'Sewers,' Thia thought to themselves. 'I've used them enough myself to know how quickly you can get around using the network of tunnels in the Undercity.'

Turning to Trovik, Thia waited for a moment when his superior's attention was elsewhere to mutter quietly enough they hoped only Trovik would hear, "We're sorry we held you up."

"Any idea how many people attacked the wagon?" Thia asked.

At Niev's comment Gru grins, "Not you I was trying to get rid of; besides it's unlikely we're here for the same reasons."

Gru quickly learned he was wrong. As the vedalken offered him the dossier, Gru tried to focus on the task at hand rather than the unpleasantness of working with the other guilds especially a member of the Azorius Senate.

He examined the dossier and scoffed. "This man has quite the record. From his crimes I'd expect him to be a member of the syndicate - except that he has a record. Says here he's guildless; odd that you believe a guild to have assisted him since he has no affiliation." The large loxodon watched the vedalken for a moment. "I was told this job is a bounty from the Office of the Guildpact itself. How will we be handling compensation and accolades? It is not in the interest of the Obzedat to... share the glory."

While waiting for a response, Gru thought on how to best make an escape. He began to voice his thoughts outloud, "Rakdos seems an obvious choice for a distraction, but they hardly hide their presence. A few guildless could easily insight a note worthy performance from them with some rotten fruit or a few well aimed heckles. Better to cause unrelated, believable chaos to draw the Legion away. While their focus is elsewhere, use the Gruul... who are not represented among us... to cause destruction and rioting. Their penchant for destruction and fighting the established order coupled with their combat prowess lends itself to the destruction of the cart. Once the goblin is free of the cart, he simply needs to slip away. A few coins here and there to grease the wheels and a well placed word in one ear or another; it could have been orchestrated by the Syndicate or House Dimir... also absent... but more likely the guildless were forgetting their place again. Unless another guild is trying to hide something this goblin knows."

He then turned to Kavlov, "Does the Senate ever use guildless operatives for their less scrupulous tasks? The kind of person they wouldn't want ending up in jail and sharing their tale?"

The vedalken listens to the questions and thinks for a few moments. He suddenly seems to remember something and looks almost embarassed. "I forget myself. I'm so sorry, I simply got into business without giving you the important info," He smiles slightly at Gru. "I am Nassius Ven, and I will be overseeing this investigation. Normally, we would simply have Azorius take care of it, but if there is a guild meddling in affairs, we are called to ensure that other members of the pact are made aware, that's why I requested your help."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out multiple coin purses. "I've been authorised to give you each 10 gold now, and 100 gold when you return Krenko to captivity. As for recognition, my bosses are in contact with your, and will keep them informed as to how helpful you have been."

He then turns to Niev, "your skills are needed because of Krenko's known association with a former Izzet scientist. If there are dangerous items, we need someone with a level of experience to keep the others safe."

He strokes his chin when the topic of the escape from the transport comes up. "I received a fairly rushed looking report from the guards of that transport. They were transfering him to the Azorius maximum security prison, only a few miles away. They apparently thought that noone would try to do anything in broad daylight in the city," he rolled his eyes in an exaggerated fashion, "their report says that out of nowhere, they heard screaming, and their wagon was suddenly on it's side. It the confusion, the door was broken and Krenko's bonds were snapped." He shrugged, "I can't beleive the incompotence, but that's why I was called in to handle this."

Niev smiled tiredly, slightly bowing her head towards Nassius Ven, "No problem ... if we work together further you'll learn I've often forgotten much only to recall hours later. I'm not actually the one who was originally intended from the League, but I hope to still be of use." Adjusting her grip on her bag, "My name is Nievein Arelera for those who do not know, and often shortened to Niev for those who do know."

She nodded again, "Yes ... I did not realize it when I first looked over that page, but there is a name on there ... familiar to me already." Idly scratching her head she added, "When I was ... clearing out the lab that was going to become mine, I found a few papers with the name Falish on them. It sounded like she was a troublemaker, but hadn't been heard of or seen for awhile ..." her eyes shone for a moment, "perhaps along with aiding for this ... I can find her and bring her back, or at least what she stole ... maybe I could gain an audience with Niv-Mizzet for my deeds ..." as she spoke her voice lowered into mumbling before her eyes nearly closed, then suddenly jerked back awake. "Heard screaming, and the wagon suddenly tipped? Hm ... if it were explosive, there would have been smoke ...yet if someone strong was hidden among the crowd that appeared ..."

Pausing she added, "If we're being honest, another guild absent is the Simic Combine ... however I doubt they'd be tied to this, given Krenko does not sound likely to be relevant for their experiments and testing."

Rhet taps her foot, “We were summoned here, for what reason? Do you house the cart? Are the guards that were on duty here? A dossiers and second hand reports aren’t exactly going to get us the information you seek.” Crossing her arms under her cloak she huffs. “In order to flip a cart without an explosion as Niev said then we are looking for a magic user of some skill, a loxodon,” she looks to Gru apologetically, “or a Minotaur?”

Taking a long step forward closer to the captain sliding her other foot slowly in a dance like arch of movement as her arms spread wide beneath her cloak to pull around back as she linked her hands in a more at ease position. “Furthermore, his shackles were they magical? That may narrow our search as well.”

Last edited:
Alice glanced at the pouches of gold that the captain had brought out and then back up at the painting she was holding up. Guess its about done. Hopefully the paint settled correctly... She brought down the canvas and flipped it over to check it, satisfied that the extra layers and engravings that she had added caused the paint to mix together in rivulets of blended greens, blues, and browns. She smiled to herself and quickly dried the paint magically before remembering something. "Sorry for interrupting, but if we want to talk to someone from Gruul if they were involved in these riots, I have a friend, Bosun, who might be able to help. Don't worry, he's a lot more calm than a lot of his clansmen. I nearly got him to give up his ruinous ways, but he wanted to stay for his family, which is something I can respect. Anyways, if we want to ask, I can probably get us an audience with someone who might know without getting us beheaded." Alice smiled, happy to be able to contribute. She then looked over to the captain. "Oh, and if you need to know my name for any record keeping, its Amaryllis Gradina, but my friends call me Alice."

Kavlov’s brow furrowed in confusion, “The Azorius Senate does not employ nor encourage such activity as performed by Krenko, Gru.” His puzzlement was soon broken as the vedalken continued to speak. Accepting the coin purse, Kavlov listened to the others as they discussed the the goblin and the nature of his escape.

The vedalken soldier tilts his head as the cloaked Rakdos riff raff speaks up. He could still not make out her face. As much as he disliked to admit it, her words did make sense. “I am in agreement. An inspection of the wagon is necessary.” Kavlov says, adding “We are lacking information, which makes the entirety of Ravnica suspect. Reaching out to associates of the escapee will also be helpful.”

Gru is reluctant to take the coin from Nassius. "Of course you believe your Senate to be above reproach, you craft the laws." Gru chuckled. "It seems we'll be working together; and we can both appreciate a bit of order. I'd rather be speaking to people than staring at broken wagons, could we split ourselves between the two tasks? Nassius, do you know anything of the locations of the accomplices? Could we speak with the guard who were with the wagon? We might learn something from what they saw or experienced."

Accepting the coin purse from Nassius, Thia'Varis listened carefully at the theories that were flying around. "If we're splitting," Thia started, not keen on getting involved in the argument between Gru and someone they weren't familiar with. "I'd like to look at the crime scene. Only if we're splitting though."

'I wouldn't really be good at interrogating someone,' Thia'Varis thought to themselves, 'But examining the wreckage might prove useful.'

"I'm Thia'Varis Holimion of the Swarm," Thia said by way of introduction, "But I'm fine with Thia. The big boy on my back is Khel."

Alice nodded to her companions’ suggestions, oblivious to any tension in the air, although she felt herself glancing over at the girl from Rakdos, feeling as if she recognized her voice somehow. She figured she’d have plenty of time to figure out how she knew her and put those thoughts from her mind. “I wouldn’t mind joining Mr. Gru to talk to the guards, if he’ll have me. I wouldn’t be too helpful with the crime scene. Investigating isn’t really my thing. Also, Grave Hide Park... although that’s not really the right word for it... anyways, that’s where Bosun would be, and it’s not too far away. We’d need to watch our step though, because the Gruul have ways to discourage visitors. The people and animals shouldn’t be too much of a problem, but they tend to have a lot of traps as well.”

Nassius looks to Rhet and forces a smile, "You were summoned here because it's where I am." He turns away from her as Trovik passes out the money to each of you. "The transfer was supposed to be a secret, it happened at a time determined only a few minutes before so that an ambush would be... unlikely," Nassius shrugged, "so no magical devices where used to restrain him. As you may have guessed, the Gruul Clan were near the top of our list of possible suspects, so any reasonable contact that you might have with them might be a good idea." He turned to Trovik as he finished and nodded to him. Trovik gave a nod in return and walked away and into the prison.

"Boros was going to have representation, but I'm not thrilled with his work so far, so it will have to be you six." He crossed his arms in front of him, "I assume you know the way to your contact, and I assume you can easily find the maximum security prison that your guild runs." he says, looking to Alice and Kavlov, in order. "Just know, we need Krenko alive. He knows too much to be allowed to be killed. You complete this task, and you will all be welcomed home as heroes of the Pact." He turned and walked inside, and as the door closed, you could hear him shouting orders in an angry tone that he had not displayed for you.

The streetlights begin to hum and spark with blue electricity as the sun sets. The city of Ravnica never really sleeps, but there is a different energy at night. The rush and bustle that is the norm for the streets slows significantly. An explosion goes off in the distance, and Rhet would recognise it as the single, enormous, deadly pyrotectnic that the Rakdos circus uses to open the show, and occasionally thin out the crowd a bit.

Pocketing her gold she gives Nassius a bold showman’s bow. Listening with a cheshire grin. “One should always expect the unexpected.”

As the captain disappears behind closed doors she decides to pick her nails looking at the others from the shadow of her hood. “So now that Nasty-us is gone we should probably get going huh.” Stuffing her hands in her pockets she moved to Gru. “I think it may be time for drinks again with Varlon?”

The explosive sound of the Rakdos fanfare drew her attention towards the city. “I never quite realized how loud that is. I guess our little investigation is starting off with a real” she pauses for effect the gestures with her hands excitedly. “bang!”

Last edited:
"I wouldn't be opposed, but I don't think that's our first stop little Mouse. We should probably begin in the same place the Office of the Guild Pact suspected and speak with Bosun or try our luck at Kavlov's boss' place. Never know what the guards might know. Loose lips and all." His trunk reached and curled around the woman's shoulder, pulling her gently closer as he leaned in and whispered to her, "If they want Krenko alive, we should keep an eye on Kavlov. He might decide the criminal is just better off dead - then where'd we be?"

Hearing the explosion, Thia'Varis felt a little uneasy, more used to an explosion meaning a gas leak and someone having an accident. 'At least up on the surface there's no chance of a cave-in.' Thia reminded themselves. "I could possibly help with animals if they did become a problem." Thia volunteered, not bothered too much by the rain. "So, is there anything else about Bosun we should know before we meet him?" Thia asked.

When Nassius looked over to Alice, she nodded and gave him a salute, a reflex from her old days in the Senate. She then looked over to 'Mouse' with a small frown when she heard the name Nasty-us, and murmured to no one in particular. "I thought he was actually pretty nice, and I'm glad that the guilds have decided to work together on this. Dolphins together fish so much better." She smiled before turning to Thia as they addressed her. "Oh, well he's big, he's tough, and he's awful horny." Alice then realized what she had said and blushed. "Antlers! He has antlers. Gruul centaurs are usually a far bit larger than the Selesnyan variety, and for some reason have antlers of all things. Anyways, despite all appearances, Bosun has a noble soul within him, and if not for his strong sense of duty towards his family, he likely would be a member of the Enclave by now. Its a shame, really." She sighed a little, still a little disappointed that she hadn't quite managed to bring her friend over, before perking up. "Still, he's pretty well informed of what goes on in Gruul, and will be happy to help! Well, as long as Garth isn't around. He doesn't like me very much."

Rhet smiles placing both her hands to her cheeks as if to blush. “Of course of course, no point in bothering him before all the other avenues have been raked through.” Lingering in the loxodon’s coild a bit longer she chuckled at Alice’s words.

“I wasn’t the Captain’s type” Giving Gru a wink and a gentle pat on his trunk she pulled away and began strolling back towards the gates. “The night awakens, your horny friend will he enjoy guests so late, the territory gets more dangerous does it not?”

"She's got a point. No use wasting time standing around here." His trunk uncurls from Rhet's shoulder and adjusts his vest. "Lead on Alice, and by all means share more about this Bosun and Garth as well. Best to be prepared." He turns toward Alice, ready to follow where she leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread