• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Bored University Student with a Specific Fantasy Craving

Lady Sabine

Hello, lovelies. I'm going to start off by mentioning that I've been fairly swamped as of late, both literally by nonstop drizzling and figuratively by Latin. The combination of those events have left me, well, rather grumpy. I will try my darnedest not to do any face-biting, but this is pretty much me at my worst. If you can stand me now, you can be sure that I'll only get nicer from here on out.

So, if you're still around, great! Here's what we're here for:

The land of Terra Sylvan is one of great magic and mystery. Its story begins when the region was first being civilized and with the blessings of the Immortal Oethiah, one of the World Mother's natural children. It was his support that brought about the coronation of Ardghal tu Sylvan, whose line has reigned for some six centuries at this point. However, they have fallen far from their previous glory. Once the Kings of tu Sylvan reigned with an axe in one hand and wild magic in the other, carving out a place for mankind to live in harmony with the forests and rivers around them.

But over the centuries, with wars and plagues and the arrival of a new and militant faith, those secrets have been all but forgotten. The King now sits uneasily in his throne, with powerful lords and bishops and hungry foreign emissaries about him at all times. Once a vast and mighty country, Terra Sylvan is now a small fraction of its former self, with the majority of the land an untamed and unwelcoming woods known as the Coracin Forest. The various sects that once served the King have largely fallen into disarray and dishonor: the famed Emerald Knights, once rumored to have ridden unicorns and wielded flaming swords, are now a ceremonial force only, guarding the royal household; the Green Priests that advised their lord in all matters of relations with the World Mother have been persecuted by the Faith of Father Heavens for so long that what few remain stay largely in hiding; the Woods Witches who once communed with the Fae and facilitated exchange have faced a similar fate; even the King's Rangers have declined in number to only a few dozen, too few to patrol the woods as they once did and without the magics that once made them both feared and fearless.

Worse still, an ancient threat is stirring over the Western mountains. The Elves, having exhausted their own homeland's supply of natural magic, are now looking for new sources. New sources that will undoubtedly include the font of power in Terra Sylvan. If the new King tu Sylvan is to save his land, he will need to find a way to restore the ancient magics and drive back the Elven invasion. The good news is, he won't need to do it alone.

So, a thousand apologies for the wall of text! I thought about slimming it down, but honestly if you're going to write with me you'll need to understand that sometimes I just need to get it all out. You are absolutely not required to mirror my length and "I read too many fantasy novels" style. What am I requiring? Glad you asked. I'm going to list all of this stuff as a reciprocal exchange since I generally will not ask you to do anything I won't.

-Big exception: you must play the King. I will probably be okay with you changing the character into a Queen, with the understanding that the RP will probably be platonic and I will absolutely not play a love interest for her. I will be playing as the Commander of the King's Rangers, who has a lot of discoveries of her own to make concerning magic and history and a huge role to play in both the politics, the war, and the magic. While I would greatly enjoy for her to find a love interest in the King, if it isn't there it isn't there and I'm also cool if they wind up being friends. Another exception to the reciprocation is that I will definitely play side characters, definitely including Oethiah and other Rangers, but you are not required to play any. You may, if you wish, but it isn't necessary.

-I will promise you replies three days a week and at least one paragraph per reply. This same minimum extends to you.

-I promise that every reply I make will move the plot along and give your characters something to do. If you ever feel lost or at a dead end, I will gladly rewrite. Instead of demanding a certain length or "quality" standard of your writing, my only demand is that you don't let things get stagnant.

-I promise that I will take up any slack concerning the plot. I would greatly appreciate it if you would give me some ideas and contributions, but the things you absolutely need to do pretty much begin and end at "give the King a name and some magic abilities". And I will also help you with those.

That's it for the requirements. If you're still here at this point, feel free to indicate your interest here or privately. Or read on for some extra shtuff I just happened to feel like writing.

If you didn't guess from my username, I go by Sabine. I'm a sophomore Anthropology/Archaeology student looking to go into the field or a cushy museum job after I get my master's. This semester I'm taking cultural anthro, nautical archaeology of the ancient Mediterranean, statistics in life sciences, and intro Latin. The points I'm trying to make are, mostly, that I enjoy getting to know people and chatting OOC, both about the RP and about ourselves, and also that I'm pretty darn busy. In fact, I haven't been roleplaying much lately (and none at all on this site), but this plot has me pretty desperate to write.

If you're also getting back into the game (or just getting into things in the first place), go ahead and contact me anyway, just let me know. I'll be glad to help you find your feet and develop/stretch out some talents.

So, on an unrelated note, I get that the fact that I want to play a female character as my lead makes some people kinda nervous (I'm one of those people!) but that's just the way my muse is rolling at the moment. Be assured, my Ranger Commander's gender is largely inconsequential to the plot. She's a woman, but first and foremost she's a loyal servant of the realm, a warrior, the next in a long and proud tradition, and about to kick some butt and take some names. Romance will take a backseat to actual plot development unless you put some strong pressure on me otherwise, and I won't be at all disappointed if things wind up platonic.

I'm super flexible on a lot of the plot points, actually. More magic, less magic, non-human characters, changing the Elves to a different threat entirely... lay it on me, bro. I love mixing thing up and adding in some new ideas.

But that's about it for actual ideas right now, so if you've bothered reading all of this just post or send a message already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back