Looking for Book Recommendations?

Soprano

sax mom
I want to get invested in reading again since I seem to be falling apart. What's the correlation, you ask? Well, back when I was in middle school, I was an avid reader which made me a much better writer. Since I want to start writing on here and improve as well, I want to read. I had my shit together when I read, and now that I don't read, I'm not very good with time management and priotizing. I believe there is some correlation in that. To be honest, I probably wrote better than I do now. Anyways, I'm all ears for a few novel recommendations and a brief summary to catch my interest. I really enjoyed novels/series/trilogies such as the The Giver, The Maze Runner, Eleanor and Park, The Outsiders, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices.

aight hmu while i eat taco bell

My favorite book series is The Sea of Trolls, its about a Saxon boy who gets kidnapped by vikings when his town is attacked, and it brings light on much of Norse mythology. There's 3 books in the series.

The Stormlight Archive.
The First Law Trilogy.
The Greatcoats Tetralogy.
The Gentlemen Bastards Trilogy.
Prince of Nothing Trilogy.

Try Lev Grossman's Magicians. The first book at least.

I also enjoy Carlos Safon's novels - they are light, teenish (except for "The Shadow of the Wind", but that is my favourtire).

Richard Dübell.

I recommend (and am a big fan of) The Licanius Trilogy. When diving head first into the series, be prepared for an intricate and detailed world, a well structured plot, and exciting character development.

Be forewarned though...the final book has yet to be released, which can often result in small fits of anger due to impatience on discovering what happens next. No, I am not speaking from personal experience.

c;

It seems like you lean towards YA novels, so a couple of recommendations: The Grisha Trilogy (start with Shadow & Bone), A Darker Shade of Magic, The Book Thief, His Dark Materials series, Truthwitch, The Raven Cycle, The Folk of The Air, A Throne of Glass, The Dark Artifices series, A Court of Thorns & Roses, and Of Fire and Stars.

Above are all fantasy/dystopian genres similar to Hunger Games, The Mortal Instruments, et cœtera.
They all have extremely diverse characters: LGBT+, POC, strong women, et cœtera and romance does not drive the main plot, but it is there.

I recommend Throne of Glass. It is unlike any other book series that I have ever read and it is nothing that you would first suspect after reading the first book.

The Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo, This Is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp, Alone by Cyn Balog, The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken, and We Were Liars by E. Lockhart are my top favorites. Definitely worth checking out.

The Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon 20+ books
Dragons in Our Midst by Bryan Davis 3 books in this series and 3 in the sequel series

Always loved the Harry Potter book series. Been debating about picking up the Percy Jackson series. My ex used to read the series of the Mortal Instruments and whatever the sequel series is to that, like Clockwork Prince and the ilk.

Last edited:
Three Dark Crowns or The Shades of London, I've found to be two good series which are both looking to be completed this year I think, both only about 3-4 books so it's not a long series.

Beast of Noor, by Janet Lee Carey is a good one.
The book follows the story of a young kid, and his sister as they use the ancient magic of the celtic lands, to clear the name of their family, and remove the family from infamy.

My current favourite books are:
  • After The Fire - switches between the past and present and shows a girl who's escaped a cult being interviewed by a Doctor and FBI Agent.
  • Face Like Glass - Part of a series but they aren't really connected, explores a world where facial expressions are 'crafted' and a girl who's expressions practically broadcast her thoughts. It's really good and to me it had a slightly Game Of Thrones esque vibe with all of the politics between the families and the way things unfold.
  • Wolf By Wolf - The year is 1956, and the Axis powers of the Third Reich and Imperial Japan rule. To commemorate their Great Victory, they host the Axis Tour: an annual motorcycle race across their combined continents. A girl who was experimented on in the camps, and who is part of the resistance, competes in the race disguised as someone else in an attempt to kill Hitler. (Isn't as dark as it sounds.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back