Literature Book recommendations

HakunaMatata

Streetmix
Hello folks!
I really, really, really want to engulf myself in some great books. Wether it be a series(like Harry Potter) or just a simple novel. I like everything from romance to fantasy.

Hit me with your best book recommendations!

Bathroom Readers series, by the BRI.
Don't judge.
Also the Lost Fleet series, and most things by Larry Bond.
And the Mysterious Benedict Society.

Last edited:
I was obsessed with the Mortal Instruments series and Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare for the longest time. They were really good. 10/10 recommend.

Also, The Asylum series by Madeleine Roux if you like a little thriller esq. feel. It's main character, Dan Crawford, is like super relatable to me and I love him.

And to round off my list, if you like Hunger Games/Divergent type books, I recommend The Testing series by Joelle Charbonneau.

Happy reading.

I would recommend reading I am Number Four. If you get emotionally attached to characters then this book series is good for you.

Anything in the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett is an enjoyable read. I recommend starting with "The Wee Free Men" and subsequent Tiffany Aching books if you liked Harry Potter (since that's one of the young adult books and as such works well as an introduction to the series).

If you like sci fi and/or mystery, I recommend "The Caves of Steel" by Isaac Asimov. If you like mystery but not sci Fi, his short story collections about the Black Widowers club is also an enjoyable read.

I recently read the book "Being There" by Jerzy Kosinski, which was a very interesting read, so I'd recommend that one as well. It's realistic fiction and very philosophical.

More in line with the fantastical genre is there Urban fantasy book "Tea With the Black Dragon" by RA MacAvoy. And if you haven't read it already, "Howl's Moving Castle" by Diana Wynne Jones is a very good book.

Also, these aren't exactly books, but King Arthur Legends are a good read if you enjoy fantasy/romance. Pre-Arthur stories like those in Perceforest are good, and my personal favorite are the stories about Gawain (such as "Gawain and the Green Knight"). Tristan and Iseult is a short but rather enjoyable romance story, though by modern standards not one with a happy fluffy ending I'd say.

Most of my recommendations are in line with what I like, but I'm fairly certain you'll like "The Wee Free Men" series and "Howl's Moving Castle" so definitely check those out if you get a chance.

Good Omens, Doctor Sleep (if you've ever seen the shining, give this a go), Fahrenheit 451, American Gods.
Happy readings!!

Not sure if it's up your alley, but I found "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach an interesting read.

I remember really enjoying the Bartimaeus...Bartimaus...Bartimus...
I can't spell it, but that trilogy when I was younger. It's like Harry Potter if he summoned demons and was kind of a dick.
(I have no idea how this series hasn't been made into a movie yet).

Also, since Howl's Moving Castle has already been mentioned, the Chronicles of Chrestomanci is another great series by the same author.

If you like the Hunger Games, the author has a lesser-known modern fantasy series called Gregor the Overlander, I believe, about a civilization of people living underground. It's been so long since I read it, so I don't know how it holds up, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Everyone knows about the His Dark Materials Trilogy by now, but it's still one of my favorites to this day, so I'll mention it anyway. : P

And if you love animal stories, you have to check out the Redwall series and Watership Down.

Oh, another two that I loved as a kid: The House of the Scorpion and The Sea of Trolls. Same author, but two entirely different settings and genres. Both are great, and I think the Sea of Trolls has a sequel.

Okay, I'll stop now.

City of Thieves by David Benioff is my favorite book of all time. If you like historical fiction, sex jokes, and philosophical musings, this book is for you. :0 I was also quite fond of The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, The Selection series by Kiera Cass, and Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.

I really reccomend the book thief. I fell in love with it and it got me so good! It's based in WWII.

That's all I can reccomend currently :)

If you like YA stuff, Un Lun Dun is my favorite book! It's really unique and incorporates a lot of fun wordplay.
For romance, The Night Circus is really neat. It's 1/3 romance and 2/3 about other characters.
If you want a series, the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett is FANTASTIC. If you like hard fantasy and satire, that's definitely the series for you!

If you like memoirs, I just finished reading "Sex Object" by Jessica Valenti. This book will relate directly to all women, although men should read it, too. It's about her life, but I'm sure you will find a lot of similarities to your own life in it. It was compelling, but very personal. Keep your eye out for it!

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller is one of the few (if not the only) books I consider to be "important." It tells the story of a justifiably-paranoid man named Yossarian trying desperately to escape from the utter absurdity of a war he'd really rather not have anything to do with. It's funny, horrifying, and deeply moving all at the same time. My English teacher once claimed that Huck Finn is the ultimate combination of light and dark and I just wanted to throw my copy of Catch-22 at her. It's really the only book where I've laughed at one of its jokes, then been horrified by what I actually laughed at.

I say that it's important because of how well it tackles issues like mortality, fear, power, and hypocrisy. And all the while, the book never seems like it's trying to preach to you or shove a message down your throat, and it's amazing at keeping you engaged and entertained. It's a very special book that shines out among the more popular literature these days, and it's absolutely the best book I've ever read.

“They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.
"No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
"Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
"They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."
"And what difference does that make?”

The Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Roth fuss. The Name of the Wind is the first book in that series. A good fantasy read that doesn't completely tred through the same old tropes.

The Emberverse series by S.M. Sterling. Most notably Dies The Fire, Meeting At Corvallis, and Protectors War. I think officially the series is listed as Sci-fi/Alternate History. It follows several groups of people as they attempt to revert to more antiquated ways of life in order to survive our modern after an unknown event cuts off all electricity and renders gunpowder useless.

The circle by Dave Eggers!
recently also the movie came out but idk if i'm going because i don't want to be disappointed

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. Absolutely amazing. Written in letter format of a wife to her husband about their son, Kevin, whom she believes is not quite... right.

Obviously, you have a lot of different books to choose from now. But I think I can still recommend one series. Whenever you get the chance to do so, after you read all the books above, you should look into the Dark Tower series. They were written by Stephen King over the timespan of a couple decades. It may not be for everyone. However, the story is an epic in its own right. Right up there with Homer's Odyssey.

i recommend Battle Royale by Koushun Takami; or literally anything by Hermann Hesse, however Demain & the Glass Bead game are my faves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back