• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Sir Les Paul

The Duke of Chords
Supporter
VIGILANTES
Alleyways and Vigilantes, a BNHA:V AU

Should a Boku no Hero RP have an academy? I think not. Teachers? Overrated. Students? Why...

...the streets will teach you everything you need to know.

Honestly, though, I found BNHA: Vigilantes, a side story of BNHA, and liked it. I also felt it would make a great basis for an BNHA roleplay as its smaller scale and far more flexible. Sincerely, no academy. In fact, I'm not even looking for a large quantity of players, which honestly tends to be the trend with this Fandom. I've ran DC Universe AU's before in which powers were scaled down to street-level and the plots were complex, dark, and gritty. I'm wanting to take some of that experience and use it here. As a GM, my goal will be to create fulfilling plots for characters involved while telling a story, not just dragging characters through milestones that parallel canon. Additionally, I want the world to have some depth. That includes active retcons of the current narrative of the story in such a way that it comes out to being a relatively similar structure. And, much like reading a manga, some of that altered history will only come out when read with time.

That said, the roleplay will center around Vigilantes. The "heroes before heroes", those that do good without having attended an academy. The way I see it, there are a few types of vigilantes. Perhaps someone that just plain couldn't get into an Academy; I imagine that being either behavioral or due to the limitations of a Quirk. Let's not forget Deku tried to save lives with no Quirk. I do want the roleplay to feature younger characters, so perhaps the characters (much like the actual side story) simply didn't intend on becoming heroes and found themselves in situations that called for it, then just continue on. There will be pre-existing Vigilantes that have the same dynamic as canon: they don't necessarily have to abide by the law and thus are technically criminals, but many heroes won't actively hunt them and will actually work with them. Some Vigilantes may have been heroes that found the restrictions of a hero too limiting. Some may have been students that felt the same. Some may have been expelled or failed out of hero academies. I imagine these types of vigilantes being commonplace just as I would imagine these types of villains also being common place.

What am I actually looking for and what will be the structure? I'm looking for 2 - 4 Rookie Vigilantes to be taken under the wing of a Veteran Vigilante. That can either be played by myself or someone else. Past that, I'm looking for moderate post quality (2 paragraphs plus, minimum) and ideally post more than once a week due to the small group size. If things take off, we may grow. That growth will be approached when or if it occurs and while I have some ideas for it, I tend to prefer to concentrate on making sure things take off and are stable.

If you're interested, tell me here and shoot me a PM about your ideas if you get any.

Update #1
As we all know, All Might was a huge, inspiring factor in the world of BNHA. He even inspired many of the other Top Ten Heroes. That said, while you create your characters, I believe it's important to at least know what influential characters could possibly play that inspirational role for your characters - or at least, which ones are so deeply rooted in the media and society your characters will be part of that you should probably know them. The entire top ten list isn't ironed out yet, but here goes:

Rank 01 Top Hero Spirita, formerly known as the Monk Hero Spirita, has held the Number One spot for nearly three decades. In her youth, she was famous for a fervent belief in justice and often found herself in trouble for pushing the boundaries of the law and what it meant to be a "hero" in current day society. She did not climb ranks or make it to the top ten until later in her career when she tempered her ambitions and developed her abilities. Her Quirk is known as Life Energy and allows her to see, utilize, and even control her own Life Energy and that of others. Her Quirk is used in tandem with traditional Shaolin teachings and the philosophies of Buddhism. This has also lead to a large cultural following behind her, making her one of the few Heroes to be the icon of an entire religion. At the peak of her time as a Hero, Spirita not only put away hundreds of villains, but managed to save thousands more civilians. Not only does her Quirk make her a powerful and dangerous duelist, but it has granted her telepathic and even healing capabilities. Her advanced age may have weakened her physical prowess, but her experience has only made her Quirk more effective in its utility. There is a chance that nearly every person in Japan has had a family member directly saved by the efforts of Spirita or been touched by her speeches regarding Justice and personal accountability.

Rank 02 The Ice Hero Tundra is a third-generation hero that not only took his father's spot, but his title and rank as well. Since birth, Tundra has been groomed to be a Top Hero, going as far as even being trained by not only his father but being a sidekick to Top Hero Spirita for a short time. Tundra also stands as one of the youngest members of the top heroes, being propelled to the number two spot almost by default due to a combination of his father retiring for it, his popularity among the masses, and his time under Spirita that garnered her favor. Tundra has considerably greater control over his Quirk than his father thus resulting in much less collateral damage, resulting in the people viewing him as a "better Tundra"; this, however, has earned the animosity of many other heroes that believe he is still too young, idealistic, and inexperienced to be such an influential person in the eye of the people. While there are many layers to this hero, this much is known: he is the next candidate for the Top Hero position upon the retirement of Spirita.

Rank 03 The Phoenix Hero Rouge is a winged heroine with arguably the largest fan-base among all current heroes secondly only to Spirita. Her Quirk, Pheonix Flight, grants her brilliant flaming wings that make her capable of supersonic flight and extreme agility. To a lesser extent, she can control and manipulate fire, but more so is immune to most burns. Her flames are unlike most fire Quirk bearers in that hers are a beautiful combination of pink, purple and orange and can be conjured in such a way that they do not burn a target. While this has no combat application, it has added to her personal appeal alongside her own natural attractiveness. Rouge is the leader of an all-female Superhero group called the Talons that focus on flight in one form or another and are famous for being the greatest aerial support heroes in generations. In dire situations, Rouge can actually turn her entire body into the flames she could otherwise conjure. While she isn't particularly powerful in this form, she is as elusive and ethereal as she is beautiful and elegant.

Rank 04 The Solar Hero Helios is a powerful, but situational hero that was once the sidekick of the previous Tundra. Helios can manipulate light and grows stronger in the day, specifically the time of day. As the sidekick of Tundra, Helios used his abilities to reduce the damage done by Tundra. By magnifying the power of the sun, he could melt ice much quicker and prevent civilians from experiencing hypothermia. This is not the extent of his abilities, however. Helios can turn himself, allies, or even civilians invisible; fire lasers of intense light; create blinding rays; and even magnify the sun to dangerous levels of heat and ultraviolet radiation. Helios may be one of the most powerful heroes of the generation, but his powers are virtually non-existent at night or even on a cloudy day. It is this limitation that prevents him from climbing any higher on the list despite the immense power of his quirk.

Rank 05 The Ink Hero Mikhail is the third oldest hero in the Top Ten and has remained so high due to his community service and scholastic influence. His Quirk allows him to generate Ink of any color and manipulate it at his will. Mikhail can draw any static image with his ink and conjure or dismiss it at any time, making this Quirk extremely flexible. Any surface coated with a sufficient amount of his ink can be used as a portal for him exclusively as long as they are of the same color. Mikhail can choose the colors of his inks so well that he can create lifelike replicas of virtually anything as long as it is static or simple. While many of these uses of his Quirk are useful for fighting crime, Mikhail is more famous for promoting the arts in schools, helping to restore downtrodden parts of cities, and using his art to either bring attention to social issues or secure donations to his causes.

Rank 06 Demon Arm Hero WIP

Rank 07 The Fusion Hero Permabond is the current head of UA and fittingly known as the most educated Hero in the top ten. Permabond holds several degrees including two PhD's and that level of commitment to understanding the world around him is almost necessary to properly use his Quirk, Fusion. As it name implies, Permabond can fuse together materials or substances both organic and inorganic. Many of his feats are similar to that of Mikhail, but he has been around far less long and instead focuses on educating the newest generations of Heroes. As the Administrator of UA, Permabond has raised the standards for his classes to the degree that a third class was created to further differentiate the potential seen in students. Many consider him strict and rightfully so as his goal is to instill the responsibility of being a true hero into his students to avoid the mistakes of his own dark past. It is for this reason that even Top Hero Spirita chose to support him becoming the head of UA despite his otherwise questionable decisions.

Rank 08 Duo with 09 WIP

Rank 09 Duo with 08 WIP

Rank 10 TBA

Obviously, this list reflects an entirely different universe of BNHA. That's intentional. However, we aren't focusing on the UA or even the main plotline like BNHA. This is Vigilantes. Our story goes an entirely different direction with a different type of plot and a different theme. That said, I believe just with those heroes and the original prompt that I've painted enough of a picture for you guys to have an idea of what this hero universe is like to really start stitching together characters. I'm not quite ready to post a formal CS or make a formal RP thread. I like to take the time to help hand-craft every character so that everything feels full and fleshed out and you as players are satisfied with what you're starting with in this world. So what I really want now is you guys to come up with your basic character traits, quirks, names, etc., why your character is to be a vigilante, and some basic history, then send it to me in a PM.

Last edited:
Alright, to those interested, would you mind sharing what character ideas you have? Not a full CS, but more the concepts for them and just general direction and/or inspiration you have?

fin fin deianeira deianeira Phayne Phayne

I am interested in making a rookie. I've read only some of the side series and the concept looked interesting!

Tempted to revive an old Mute character of mine from a few years ago. Will PM you the general details. I say Mute, but he does have the ability of speech. He was just conditioned not to.

Interested. Thinking about a character that came from a family of heroes but their personality and hatred of being in the public eye makes them want nothing to do with the family. Of course, the times that they thought they were just helping out would be reported to the news. Fully believes heroes shouldn't be praised for doing the right thing.

Huh... looks like you have all the RPers you need Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul . Ah, well. I'll be keeping an eye out in case there are openings later on. I was thinking of a character who always wanted to be a hero, but was advised against it by friends, family and school teachers because their quirk was weak with little to no combat application. However, their quirk would make them an excellent tracker, which might be useful in for vigilante operations- something like UV vision, synestheisia, or canine physiology with enhanced hearing and smell.

Monday Monday If you're sincerely interested, you can go ahead and follow the same steps to get into the RP. I'm pretty flexible and there are more surprises in store.

R.Sharpe R.Sharpe I'm already squeezing in an extra player or two and I've already got someone working on a high mobility character. Teleportation or any kind or instantaneous repositioning is a tough Quirk to balance and plot around pretty often, too. I'm probably just gonna shut down active recruitment for now with the invitation I sent to Vulpes earlier until further notice.

R.Sharpe R.Sharpe Feel free to follow. If any openings occur, you can be higher up the list to get in. Personally, I like to start a role play small to keep it tight knit, faster paced, and smooth. It's not that I'm against expansion of any kind, I just find it best to establish a small base and build outward in my experience.

Well there's a follow function the thread, but thats not exactly what I meant. Lol I meant just tag along in the OOC and watch the RP develop as a non player. As long as a GM / community doesn't mind, it tends to be a good way to get yourself some friends and work into the overall community even if you're not playing. If you end up reading the IC, it'll also give you a good idea of how the RP is like and some insight to making your own character.

Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul R.Sharpe R.Sharpe Sadly, it looks like I might have been a little hasty in committing to this RP. I've been pushing it as is with the other roleplays I'm involved in, but I was so excited by this concept that I jumped at the opportunity. I might have been able to make it work, but now that I've come down with a bug I probably won't be able to handle posting more than once per week. So, it looks like I'll be switching places with R.Sharpe and keeping tabs until the next opening.

Monday Monday Your decision entirely. Others are still in the character creation process and I don't necessarily need to introduce each character in close sequence. If you feel better and like what you see as this develops, you're free to chase your muse and hop aboard.

In any case, teleportation isn't something I'll be doing on a Vigilante.

fin fin Phayne Phayne August August deianeira deianeira Shadow Alpha Shadow Alpha As promised, I've got a character roster with sheets up as well as an OOC and start of a lore page.

Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul It looks like I will actually have time and energy to join this, if there's still room for me. I had a new idea for a character that I find much more compelling, and should be able to PM you a description soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back