• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

pomme

bonk

blood ballad

It is an important lesson to learn that almost nothing in the universe is monochrome.

The history of Rheinfeld is one that is more subject to this rule than any. From different faces come different recollections, some speaking of old maiden's tales and others speaking of the horrors of war. But one part of its winding history remains so solid that it is seldom excluded: the currents that once ran through the souls of its inhabitants.

Millenia ago, souls were not so much a myth as an all-encompassing influence. Born either pure or corrupt, it seemed that with each new life a new fate was cemented. Fight as they may, the influence given to them at birth was too strong—casting aside any chance at change without caution. But the souls had also brought something else with them, a penance for their pain: each soul was accompanied by special abilities akin to magic. Of course, they too only cemented one further into their predetermined role of hero or villain.

But even the gift of magic was not enough to soothe the aching hearts of the afflicted. Wars raged, brutally and mirthlessly. After all, how could a light so bright and a void so dark ever find a common ground?

It is unknown how the souls slowly lost their footing in Rheinfeld. But with their rapid fade from existence, the wars too stopped. Peace bloomed unbridled and the old magic was no longer needed nor desired. The past atrocities lived on only in tales, time quickly distancing them as little more than a far-away memory. It was never found how or why the souls appeared and disappeared—and little interest was held in the matter. Most were simply glad to bid them farewell.

But the hands of Time's clock were quickly completing their rounds, and history would soon come to repeat itself.

This time, the divide wouldn't be between those of virtue and those of vice. For the first time, it seemed there was no color at all. The reappearance began as quiet tales of children that seemed to simply not be quite in the present; and as they grew, certain individuals who seemed simply bare. Bare of opinion, bias, anything outside of unaltered objectivity. Yet as they grew further, it became clear that these individuals were neither the product of some oddness nor a strange upbringing. With their almost robotic fairness came an unnatural influence on things.

While the Greyborne may not have been seers or prophets, it seemed the impartiality set within them sought out the highest places it could reach. There was little doubt that these new oddities were the return of souls. Some thought them articles of justice itself, others a hell-sent scourge. But fears dredged up from the past quickly chased away any positivity towards the group: bitterness reborn from past wars, and angry grief for those long gone. It was clear that the Greyborne were not welcome—that is, outside of the halls of Rheinfeld's training facilities.

Such an asylum was not ideal, but the idea of a warm meal and four sturdy walls was enough for many. The conditions were far from cruel. The willing were sent to work with scientists or train with generals, and the unwilling simply given a safe place to stay and left in peace.

Collective 16 was one of the smallest groups formed of the Greyborne. Seated at the base of the Northern Ridge, it housed those that had elected for military training alongside their supervision. Whether out of lust for power, wishes for good, or more nefarious intentions, it didn't particularly matter. The training conditions were as comfortable as could be expected, and the lodgings a good shelter from the cold outside.

As a supplement for the training, the group was sent into the lower stretches of the mountains, meant to assist in the recovery of a lost reconnaissance team. Asides from the bitterly cold conditions, nothing about the mission was particularly dangerous. The Greyborne were far outnumbered by supervisors, their role mostly meant to be one of observation.

But after the first night passes, the Collective finds themselves alone, the tents of their supervisors and generals empty and flapping in the wind. The pass they'd taken upwards—eclipsed by rock and slick ice. All that signaled a presence other than theirs, a scratched carving into the rock above where they slept.

Travel to the heart of the Ridge and destroy the curse of souls. Recover the scrolls and return them to Rheinfeld. Let Iletta fuel your hopefulness, and let Miranos fuel your resilience. Prove yourselves, and the path will appear before you.

Guidelines

I. As of the time being, each participant is only allowed one character.
II. Literacy is expected. While I don't require long prose in each post, one-liners are not allowed.
III. Please follow RPN's rules. If you have any issues with other participants, contact me first.
IV. A Discord server will be used for communication, so having access to Discord is required.
V. I intend for this RP to be long-term. If you have to leave, please inform me beforehand.

If interested, please state so below! I will provide you with the Discord link afterwards. Character creation and lore threads will be created shortly.

This sounds wonderful. I am definitely interested. I'm always down for a good literate rp. I tend to stick with it when I commit.

what time period this set in? i get magic and all this, but we talking medieval, feudal, victorian, modern but we get fancy mage clothes? wot?

This sounds wonderful. I am definitely interested. I'm always down for a good literate rp. I tend to stick with it when I commit.
I am loving this, truly! Consider me fully interested and invested! :)
This is intriguing! I'd like to take part ^^
Sign me up because I'm desperate for roleplay and a life.
wooo, lovely!! So glad to have you all here! I'll be sending out the discord link soon, so feel free to join.

what time period this set in? i get magic and all this, but we talking medieval, feudal, victorian, modern but we get fancy mage clothes? wot?
If anything, the time period would be a loose mix between medieval/Victorian. Not much in the ways of modern technology or lifestyles, but enough to live in ways somewhat modern (schools, sound infrastructure, e.g.). Rudimentary weapons and firearms such as rifles and bayonets exist, but there isn't a huge focus on military prowess/presence in Rheinfeld, so not really Feudal either. I'll put up more details on the magic system when I post the lore thread, but magic has never had significant affects on quality of life/technological advance due to the actual specifics of the magic.

veri cool
i join pls?
ㅇㅅㅇ
go back to ur crate

If anything, the time period would be a loose mix between medieval/Victorian. Not much in the ways of modern technology or lifestyles, but enough to live in ways somewhat modern (schools, sound infrastructure, e.g.). Rudimentary weapons and firearms such as rifles and bayonets exist, but there isn't a huge focus on military prowess/presence in Rheinfeld, so not really Feudal either. I'll put up more details on the magic system when I post the lore thread, but magic has never had significant affects on quality of life/technological advance due to the actual specifics of the magic.

Neato. Thanks for the clarification!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back