Blackburn's Crossing Chapter 3: A Ball to Die for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Léone staggers back up, having reached to the ground as quickly as possible to counteract Isaiah's spell. "Holy shit... that worked! We have a chance!" Finding a bit of hope in this her immediate instinct is to pummel Isaiah as hard as possible, and she grasps her diamond ring and whirls a ball of lightning straight at Isaiah. Unfortunately the outburst of energy she had to release to counter his spell threw her off balance, and the lightning veers far off course, into the distance.

Shaking her head off, she gets her bearings and nods at James, forcing a half-smile while catching her breath. "Don't think I'm letting you go so easily." Backing away a few steps and standing her ground, she clutches her wand and prepares for the worst.

Ballroom: Round 1

Things seem to go sideways, and spells and flung everywhere, and people step into action Yelcan blasts to blasts straight into Isaiah's chest causing him to stagger back a step on the grandstairs steadying himself. As looks down Peri screams out at him slamming her staff down and a wall of thorns sprouting up the stairs straight towards him and out the window to hit the skeletal T-rex. The T-rex shakes off the thorns coming around to start to chomp on bystanders who start to scream in their death throws. A sudden pain erupts in Peri's chest as she sees a scythe suddenly appearing in her chest, and a shrouded and tattered figure holding it. She falls as if her soul is being severed from her body looking back to Bernard for an instant reaching out. "Sorry Bear...."

Bernard tosses holy water in his glass guessing the spot of the Reaper and lands a hit searing it with holy water, before charging up the left side of the stairs towards Isaiah. Searching for him in the Wall of Thorns. Kallisto hands out weapons to Tara and Marcus, before proceeding to the far end of the crowd pushing past panicked people rushing for the exit. Some tables topple over, and wine splashes upon the floor as she calls out to them in a battle cry to get their attention. One of the two horned skeletons lowers it's head and charges straight at Kallisto slipping on the wine and missing slaming into the fallen table with his horns. The other one comes up and cleaves a slice into Kallisto.

Tara see's Peri on the ground and moves forward against the crowd pushing her back and sends out a healing word to Peri giving her the surge of life. The creature slowly disappears looking over to Tara before it completely vanishes again from Peri's sight on the ground. From the side of the room about a dozen men and women splash their glasses when a female voice yells "Now!" Gennifer's group manages to take down one of the skeletons and wound another that moves forward towards them to slash killing a girl and turning to Gennifer before Durendal bowls full gallop into the creature knocking it forward. Van Richten twists his cane throwing aside the sheath as he fends off one of the skeletons. His attention not focused he's almost hit from behind until Shih stands in the way blocking Van Richten's flank. He nods to the Tigerman for a moment before a lightning bolt streaks from Kattinker's finger from her position on top of a table. Marcus calls out orders to retreat back into the hallways and grabs, yanks, and pulls men and women in their cloths that are falling over towards the exits. Lord Balfour eats another sweet cake off the table and as a skeleton comes for him his head spins one hundred and eighty degrees his eyes lighting up a pale green, and the creature stops in his tracks it's own eyes glowing green and turns to go attack one of it's allies. Lord Balfour looks back to his table and is glad there is one more sweet, and he picks it up gingerly to eat it while watching the battle with interest. Thomas launches himself into battle with what he considers one of the greatest threats after seeing what it had done. Piggy backing off Bernard's assault he charges forward slashing into the air at the invisible creature that dodges nimbly barely taking any damage from his attempts. Thomas attempts to stay moving to be a harder attempt as he seems to fight the air. James seeing the chaos unleashed here with spells flying this way and that looks to Leone for a moment.

"They're here for me, I have to be the distraction," he says before clicking his boots together and taking off yelling. "Come get me you fuckers!" Meanwhile somewhere upstairs. Jonathan pulls open the vault sees the object in question, he grabs it, and pushes the vault shut not giving the dead falkovnians or the knocked out one a second glance as he races after where Arissa went. Looking down he takes a deep breath and jumps seeing Arissa already hadn't died from that fall. Jonathan lands falling to one knee and grins. "Whatever you did thanks," he says as he looks in with her to see what is going on, and sees the skeletons. His face is one of utter outrage. "Oh no they didn't. Come on Arissa, there's only Einhorn at this party!"

Last edited:
Ballroom: Start of Round 2

Arissa moves into the ballroom seeing a skeleton about to swing around and finish off Brian with a downward chop until she slams her blade, humming with energy into the back of it causing it to stagger and miss. It turns it's attention to her as she sends out more temporary HP to those she 'cares' about within range. Isaiah as the thorns slowly retract and die almost as fast as they grow sees James running towards the outside storm and growls. He doesn't give Bernard a second glance but Bernard see's his eye begin to glow the a blinding purple light before he disappears his body decaying to nothing but bones. One of the skeleton's suddenly stops attacking staggering and Isaiah bursts out of them sending bones flying everywhere. He turns moving forward towards james and his eye shoots out a beam of purple energy straight for James' back. At the last moment he weaves a glancing blow sending him tumbling forward hitting the muddy ground hard. Isaiah grins looking back to the crowd. "At Last it's over..." he says but something in the corner of his eye catches his attention. Movement.... his purple eye no longer glowing, but his other eye rages. "How can he be alive!?!?"

As Isaiah unleashes the beam of energy from his eye at James, seeing it strike his boss. Checking on Peri, he see's her up and about, in the process of healing some unseen wound, and he turns his attention back to the threat. Feeling the pull of his hex, he ran closer towards Isaiah and allowed his anger at this intrusion on such a wonderful moment to flow through him...and into Isaiah. Yelcan sees the pain on Isaiah's face as the dark shadow that clings to his form flares in response to his anger, and raising his left arm in a closed fist he shouts, "Begone necromancer, you are not welcome here!" and two pulses of purplish energy leap from his wrist, one shooting just over Isaiah's shoulder and the other striking him in the chest. The shadow flares once again as Isaiah crumples to the ground like a rag doll, limp and unmoving.

Looking around himself, Yelcan sees the few people who have taken up arms against these invaders strike down the horned skeletons, leaving only the large beast over by the window. Yelcan looks to where Isaiah fell and dropped his dagger, and he runs over and picks it up. As he does, Yelcan looks up at the beast, concentrating on the connection with the hex, the shadow shoots from Isaiah's body and clings to the monster's form. Seeing Shih in its jaws, Yelcan held up his left hand and shouted "No! Drop him!" and again two bolts of purple energy fly from his wrist, striking the beast in the chest, but its jaws remained firmly clamped on Shih.

Arissa tumbled in the mud as she fell, luckily largely uninsured from the height, but her dress thoroughly ruined. She heard a bellowing laugh in her head. I guess you really are a ‘fallen’ Aasimar, eh lass?

Arissa ignored the voice and quickly moved towards the window of the room before whirling around, blade pointed at the form that had dropped next to her. She let out a sigh of relief seeing that it was only Jonathan, surprised he had accomplished the task so soon. Arissa glanced into the room to see a scene like a living nightmare. She whispers quietly to herself. “Door de acht... what is this?” Her eyes fixed on Isaiah in the center of the room, and she felt a rush of anger.

Arissa bashed in the window with her sword leaping through as she called to Jonathan and those who would listen. “Hold off the hordes!” She was unable to see her friends due to the crowds of panicked bystanders, but prayed to any god who would listen that they were safe. She watched as a hulking skeletal warrior raised a sword, intending to cleave a dark haired man in a wolf mask in half with his massive blade. Her sword pulsed with power as she jumped into the air, bringing her blade down on the creature’s shoulder, shards of bone raining down on her as she landed.

The creature quickly whirled around, catching Arissa off guard as it slammed its massive greatsword into her stomach with inhumane speed, knocking Arissa back several feet as she landed hard against a column. Her mask tumbled from her face as she looked down to take stock of her wounds, grimacing slightly. She could feel her ribs creak when she tried to stand, and reached for her sword that had been knocked out of her hands, only for it to be inches out of reach as she looked up at the warrior looming over to finish her off. Suddenly, it fell forwards as a silver spike protruded from its skull, causing the creature to clatter to the ground. Arissa looked up at Jonathan as he offered her a hand, and she smiled gratefully to him as she stood. “Perhaps I am not cut out for this man to man combat after all... ja?”

Arissa picked up Yorgi, wincing as she bent over, and surveyed the room finding only the massive skeletal abomination remaining. She staggered towards it, calling out. “Your master is dead. There is nothing left for you here but a stamper to grind you into bone dust.” Her words felt hollow in her own mouth as she spoke, however. She coughed and spoke quietly to herself. “You can do this... It is time to earn this victory...” Though she knew her words did little to mend her broken bones, Arissa felt a flood of adrenaline rush through her, and she stared up at the creature with renewed determination.

Last edited:
Ballroom:

The skeletons begin to fall by the number as spells are slung around the world, the Reaper floats invisibly from Thomas and Peri's area over to Isaiah's rising spirit. His body having been blind sided by Yelcan's attacks. The Reaper raises her scythe and Isaiah raises his spiritual hands. "No you can't! I'm not done here!" The scythe comes down splitting Isaiah's soul in half and then it fades into nothing. The Reaper then looks back to the other souls and motions for them to follow.

With the combined might of attacks the T-rex that had been dragging Shih out. He falls from the mouth as the T-rex into a bloody but breathing spot on the ground. The fairytale book continues to sit in the mud not far off, and James struggles to his feet barely keeping himself up. Looking back he starts to slowly walk back to the party. Most of the NPC's that can heal go around making sure everyone has at least half HP, and gather up. Many people are leaving James' party sending their regards, or promises to correspond or threats about how people will hear of this night.

Bernard stands at the feet of the T-rex as it falls, shaking his head. He turns, collecting Merris' book as he passed to catch James out in the rain. Approaching the frightened and wounded man, Bernard seizes him by the collar and drags him broken and blood back into the ball room. "This is what your secrets have cost, James. I hope you're proud of yourself." He threw James down next to Isaiah's corpse, and the chipped silver sword down next to him.

Léone glances around disoriented as the battle around her subsides. It had taken a significant portion of her arcane reserves to push back Isaiah's ring of necromantic energy, and afterwards most of her attacks had either swerved off entirely or barely glanced their targets. Still, she was finally glad that it was over - though not without heavy casualties.

Finally catching her bearings she notices Bernard dragging James back in and hurriedly rushes over, kneeling to his side and helping him sit up. "James...! Oh gods, are you okay...?!" She grabs his hand with her right and places her left over his heart, focusing through the gauntlet to heal him once more. As he recovered she reached over and hugged him tightly for several seconds, before releasing and looking into his eyes with a deep sorrow. "I was... so scared..."

After a few more moments she bites her lip and glances briefly at Bernard, before turning back to James. "... He's right, though. We need to prevent any more tragedy, and that requires answers." She sighs, unwavering in her gaze. "Answers that burden both of us now, if not all of us."

As the T-rexs is taken down by the series of attacks, Yelcan crouches down over the body of Isaiah wearing a look of disgust. He did not feel bad about what he had to do to protect his friends, and this man did not deserve his pity. Tucking the black dagger into his belt, he opened up the cloak of the man on the floor and felt around in his pockets. He found a small coin purse, which he tucked into one of his own pockets, as well as that black powder that the necromancer had used during some of his incantations. He also finds a tattered book, which has names flowing across the cover, and glows a faint purple and gave him the feeling it was something powerful. Yelcan goes to open the book, but hesitates as he remembers the last time he encountered something powerful he did not understand, and what had happened when he rushed into that, and settled for wrapping the book with a stray piece of cloth on the floor before simply tucking it under his arm as he stood up. Yelcan looked up for Leone to pass along this key spell component when all of a sudden James is thrown down on top of Isaiah's dead body. "What the..." Yelcan began as he backed away from James a couple steps, allowing Leone the room to help him up.

As the two of them stared into each other's eyes, Yelcan looked up at Bernard and shrugged. "Don't look at me, I don't know anything. I would love some answer too, but maybe we can help get the rest of these people to safety and find a secure, private location before we talk about all of this yea?" Having said his piece, Yelcan looked around the room until he spotted Peri and made his way towards her. As per usual, she was helping the injured in any way she could, and Yelcan moved up next to her to help. Once they took care of Peri's current patient, he straightened up and made eye contact with her. "Hey, are you alright? I saw you hit the ground but I didn't see what happened, are you okay?"

Last edited:
Arissa breathes a sigh of relief as she watched the skeletal beast get brought down. The adrenaline faded from her body as she staggered over to a seat, worn from the exertion of channeling her newfound power, and aching all over from the blow that she took. She began to absentmindedly magically clean herself, feeling relief flood over her. We did it. It’s over.

Arissa watched in surprise and confusion as Bernard dragged James over to Isaiah’s corpse and threw him to the ground, but agreed with his words. She was more surprised, however, to see Léone echo his sentiment. After Yelcan voices his dissent, Arissa narrows her eyes at him briefly. “The man you just killed was Bernard and Perian’s uncle, and one of the last remaining members of family they have. Something has happened that caused him abandon all rational thought in his efforts to kill James, and you believe that we should wait before finding answers?” Arissa painfully stands and walks over to the group assembled around James to meet his eyes. “No more secrets. What is it that you and your family have done, James Blackburn?”

Last edited:
Ballroom:

James embraces Leone. "It's fine, I'm fine." Bernard throws the silver sword onto the ground, and Jonathan comes over. "What's gotten into you Bernard?" asks Jonathan looking at him oddly. Thomas crosses his arms, keeping an eye out but not saying anything as of yet.

"A Necromancer attacks to kill a prominent house noble known for dealing in valuable arcane and alchemical dark arts and you're surprised? No, that's not entirely accurate. You think I somehow caused this through some sort of inaction," says James after Leone pulls back from their embrace. "The only secret's I'm keeping are on the inventions that are too dangerous for the wide population to have access to. I want to know who met with him to provoke a response like.... that."

James points to the large skeletal dinosaur. "Where you aware that he was capable of this Bernard? Thomas you said he was exiled? I'm guessing there was an Ezran forsaken reason for doing so and I think I'm staring at the evidence right now," says James looking down to Isaiah's body.

"Isaiah, was banished quiet a long time ago when my father was in charge. I kept the ruling as it was. I hadn't seem him until recently at the funeral, as far as I know Bernard went out to speak to Isaiah last to ask him for assistance in finding out about a pact, with a specific person involving some noble families. Perhaps this isn't the best place to have this conversation," says Thomas looking about at the guests moving about. Some of them looking this way.

"Can anyone save him so that we can question what the hell he supposibly knows about my family?"
asks James still looking down at Isaiah's body. He looks among those gathered. "His body doesn't even look human anymore."

"That's because his body has been corrupted," says Van Richten walking up with his cane.
"Twisted by the dark nature of one who looks like has delved into strong necromancy. Most do not survive the trek, I've not seen anyone control that many undead in a long time. Curious what was found on his body?"

Kallisto had nodded while Yelcan murmured what was going on as she handed him back Perian's staff -- he would have an easier time giving it back than she would without catching too much attention.

On edge she watched the discussion moving back and forth, frowning as she noticed the change in Isaiah's features, thinking, "What have you done ...? What did you find out and what costs did you have to pay...?" She glanced towards Bernard, all too aware that not too long ago she had spoken too truly: at some point Bernard would have to pick a side.

As things began to escalate and horned skeletons similar to what Kallisto had seen at Isaiah's home entered, she suddenly felt something gripped her hands ... the greataxe ... the weapon she had made sure to leave at home, its blade covered, and yet suddenly it had appeared, blade uncovered and an eager growl as a voice spoke through her mind -- a voice she remembered from when she had attuned to the weapon.

She gave Marcus and Tara an awkward look as she suddenly found herself holding a weapon she pretty obviously didn't have before. Shaking her head she quickly unsheathed Sulrac, handing it to Marcus, and gave one of her tucked handaxes to Tara. Lowering herself slightly she gave Marcus a quick hug, whispering to him, "Stay as safe as you can..." before speaking to them both: "Please -- help protect the crowd, help guide them out if you can, we need to clear them from combat."

With a nod as they moved to their tasks she charged off into the crowd, displeased with the axe for showing up but its inner growl soon grew into her own growl as she moved towards the closest skeletal figure, pushing through the crowd as she charged, giving a loud roar in an attempt to catch their attention. She managed to attract two, one attempted to charge, but as she watched it pass by the other one cut into her side, leaving her grimacing in pain as she turned to face it, her teeth bared.

Before she could strike, a flurry of spells came from various directions, hitting the one in front of her, soon followed by a blow of her own, the greataxe biting easily into the bone creature. Biting was almost too fitting as while it crumpled to the ground, in Kallisto's mind she heard the sound of something crunching on bones, barely heard over the growl that was her world. Shaking her head briefly as she felt uneasy, using the weight of the weapon she turned and swung towards the other skeletal creature, hitting it but not bringing it down. In an almost feral state of mind, she took one of her hands off the weapon, striking out with her claws, feeling the unenjoyable sensation of her claws dragging across bone, it didn't seem to cut as deeply as her weapon.

Trying to rebalance herself she was struck again, though much more weakly before the skeleton before her was brought down. Her eyes cast around, the axe eager to continue the slaughter before her, she caught sight of the giant skeleton further away -- she recognized it as being what she had seen Isaiah putting together when she and Bernard had first visited him ... when things seemed calmer and more reasonable. Catching sight of a familiar cat-like form in its mouth she charged her way across the room, trying to break its jaw in an attempt to get the man out -- landing a blow against the creature she heard the sound of bone crunching, and felt and almost familiar sensation of when she had taken a sip of Ialay's blood. Energy -- life, even somehow taken from something lacking in such. Spinning with the weapon she went for another strike, landing another blow, and with a growl swiped with her claws, only to instead hit the bones in an awkward angle as it shifted its weight, breaking off a few claws. Pulling her hand back in pain she moved aside as with a combined effort from the remaining others the creature fell, Shih falling from its jaws, bloody, but breathing.

Slowly the growl faded, at least from her mind, though the one from the axe desired to keep going -- there were so many others nearby, so many on the verge of death, it'd be a mercy kill at this point... she shook her head as she placed a hand on the now unmoving head of the creature, using the greataxe to lean on.

Glancing up as she heard the commotion near where Isaiah had fallen she frowned briefly before working to pull two teeth out from the jaw, one for herself ... and one for Marcus. She held the teeth in her hands as she used the other weapon to help walk, blood soaking into her clothing, occasionally she helped lift people to move them or bring them closer to a healer, working her way closer to Marcus, watching him help guide the stragglers who could stand on their own out of the ballroom.

"I think you hold secrets that get people killed. And with your family dead, who are you protecting? Yourself? You've always been a selfish one James, if you weren't Jack would be here and you'd have been a Guardian. When I saw Isaiah that monstrousity was no where near the state we saw it in tonight, and I was trying to mend my family something your secrets have robbed from me." Bernard takes a step back looking to Van Richten.

"If you want Isaiah's possessions they were looted by James' employee over there." He pointed to Yelcan. "I'm sure he didn't find anything worth mentioning, because James and accomplices are so honest and trustworthy. They'd never keep a secret."

Before the fall of the t-Rex

Gasping to life Peri sat up slowly the pain in her chest radiating a white hot searing sensation. Looking around she realized the scene has not gotten any better since her loss of consciousness.

With no time to waste she had to cease the pain before panic set in drawing upon her magic she prayed for the elders out loud and was graced with a soft cool embrace that rejuvenated her spirit.

Seeing the carnage the monster was causing she called again to the ancients in druid tongue for friends to assist her. As fall colored leaves swirled up from the ground two dire wolves appeared in play. Peri pointed to the creature too off to be surprised the two wolves attacked clamping down and crunching large bones of the creature as others finished it off.

After the t-Rex be ded

Peri turns to Yelcan Looking a bit hollow a small spirit fox hovering nearby to others as she worked upon her current patient. She did not reply to him she only smiled her smile before getting up.

The spirit fox turned its head in their direction and followed Peri as she followed Yelcan to the body of her late uncle. The spirit fox entering the circle of friends ahead of her a warm glow emitting off it healing those it’s form encroached upon.

As the arguing began she looked around to her friends silently glad to see them all alive.

Last edited:
Arissa glances over to Jonathan as he spoke and sighed inwardly. Our efforts will have been for naught if he does not deliver on his promise to Legba... Arissa walks over to Jonathan, leaning on his shoulder and guiding him away from the conversation over to where she and Jonathan had made their entrance. “I will handle this, Jonathan. I believe you have someone important to find, ja? Go now or you may not get the chance.”

Arissa glances behind her, hoping that everyone’s attention was focused on the growing conflict, and runs a hand along Jonathan’s arm, causing him to disappear from sight. “Be quick... I will likely have to speak of the Falkovnian incursion soon.”

Arissa then walked over to her discarded mask on the ground, wincing as she picked it up and tucked it under her belt. It certainly was a night to remember... She limped back over by the group and took a seat next to Ludwig, prepared to intervene at the first sign of conflict.

"I'm not sure you should be so quick to cast stones as a head of the church but this sounds rather personal like both of you have a Vendetta against one another that I'd rather not get involved with," says Van Richten looking between both of James and Bernard with a frown. "I will go speak to his associate and see if he says anything about what was on the body. That should at least prove a willingness to cooperate."

"If Isaiah thought I held a secret that was worth my death than he's sorely mistaken. Whatever happened in that past can die in the past. I don't know anything beyond what you've told me in those regards. I'd love to be able to help you, but it doesn't matter what I do, it's not good enough for you Bernard. I can see that now, any thing that I touch is corrupted in your eyes. I must have poisoned Leone's treatment to love me, the whole Ball must have been a ruse to provoke Isaiah to attack me, I must be paying off Thomas to keep my secrets hidden from me, and my words are lies despite me coming clean about my brother nearly first thing then when I got home. When you see anything wrong it MUST be the Blackburn's foul, dark, evil magic at work. You're no better than him," says James pointing to Isaiah. "Sure you may not try to kill me, but your thoughts lineup so closely with his I'm half surprised you haven't incite a mob at my doorsteps. I tried to please you by changing, but I see now you’ll never be happy until I’m dead, that way your sure I can’t hide any more ‘secrets’.”

“Careful now, I’d hate for you both to spend a night jailed to calm both your nerves giving the circumstances that we just went through,” says Thomas warning. Jonathan when he goes invisible is shocked.

Awesome you can make people invisible? I’m good though, we should probably tell James that some Falkovnian’s broke into his vault, How do I…. you know become visible? This is a little awkward, I am a disembodied ghost here to steal all your pastries,” says Jonathan exaggerating his voice a bit.
Marcus looked over to Kallisto. “You did well, glad I was here to see it, I’m sure Thomas is proud you defended all these people too. Many would have just fled in fear,” says Marcus as he looks to a woman in a green dress approaching.

“Kallisto are you in any need of healing?” Asks Tara with Atanase at her side. He seems to be looking over the crowd, and then looks to Kallisto and smiles seeming to remember her. “I’m wondering what drove that man to this.”

“Power such as that corrupts the mind over time, especially those left to fester alone. I suspect it was only a matter of time. Had he attempted this when James wasn’t throwing a party, I suspect the results would have been his life,” says Atanase making an observation.
Van Richten walks up to Yelcan and gives him a hand in greeting. “Greetings, Yelcan was it? I’ve been told you work with James and were the first to examine Isaiah’s body, I was wondering what was found on his body. Necromancers often have powerful items upon them, and some of them can be dangerous, would you mind sharing with me what you’ve found?” asked Van Richten.

Yelcan nodded and unwrapped the book, showed Van Richten the dagger as well. He examines the dagger first for a moment and pricks his hand causing a slight bleed and the blood quickly dries up as if it were weeks old. "The dagger seems to be meant to inflict harmful magic into someone more than regular daggers. Not unheard of but I'd be careful with it," says Van Richten as he moves onto the book. He examines the outside seeing the flowing name. Across the surface he sees the words. 'You can save him still' and then a name boils up to the surface.

"Erasmus...." he whispers before covering the book back up with the cloth. "It is not my place to say what you do with the spoils, but I would recommend destroying this book. It will tempt you with power, beyond that I do not know, if the Necromancer was using it, that would explain how he was able to control so many creatures at once, but I suspect it was taking a toll on his body."

Last edited:
Leaning on the greataxe slightly Kallisto handed one of the T-Rex teeth to Marcus, tucking the other one into her sash for now. "I would have preferred if this had just been a peaceful night..."

At Tara's offer of healing, she shook her head. "I'm injured, but there are more around that are worse off ... I can deal with this." She gave Atanase a tired smile as he approached and bowed her head slightly.

Looking towards the group gathered around Isaiah and some of the raised voices she frowned, "I spoke to him maybe ... two days ago -- Isaiah. A day before that, I went into his home with Bernard ... we were trying to be nice, make peace. I saw that giant creature being assembled, though there was still a fair amount of progress to be made, from what I could tell." Placing a hand on the tooth she'd taken, "I ... really don't understand what happened with him. What could have changed in those few days to bring him to this...? And -- he had a woman with him before, named Flora ... I wonder what happened to her as well."

Bernard frowned. "Leone cared about you before you cured her. I trusted you to cure her when I could not. I don't think you lured Isaiah here - he was obviously not in his right mind. I never expected you to prove yourself to me. I don't expect you to prove yourself to any of us. All I've ever expected of you, of anyone, is that we work together to make this town better than our families left it. I stand by the sentiment that we can't do that and keep secrets - we can't follow in the dark, foul footsteps of our forebearers."

Bernard hung his head. "Isaiah was a necromancer. I knew this, but when I met with him there was still Light, still the chance to save my family - I failed, and people have died. Jeremiah murdered his own daughter, he may have had a hand in the death of Paulina, he likely whisked the soul of Dominik Einhorn away to Legba at birth, he was likely going to orchestrate your own death. I refuse to continue their mistakes, I will not live in their shadow. Stop trying to hide from the past, instead try to learn from it, because without learning from mistakes, how are we any better?"

Bernard offered James a hand to help him stand. "I'm not here to condemn you for the mistakes of your parents or theirs. I'm here to open your eyes to the dangers of making the same ones. I'm sorry you ever felt you had anything to prove to me."

He turned to Thomas. "I did not see Isaiah's companion, Flora, during the fight. We should be careful, she's quite dangerous."

Finally, Bernard looked to Leone, "Jon left the party as James proposed, when I pointed it out Arissa followed, I assume he finished his heist. I never learned what he was sent after, though it's probably whatever is missing."

Last edited:
Ballroom:

"Well I hope the lady you mentioned is OK though I'm not too optimistic about the prospects," says Tara shaking her head and looking to others being healed in the distance. "Whatever drove him to this, we can at least have peace in knowing that he is at rest. Ezra will show him the error of his ways."

"The final mystery of death I'm sure matters of the mortal world fall by the way when we pass into whatever lays beyond," says Atanase briefly as he watches the heated discussion over there. "Sounds like there's no love lost between the Blackburns and the church still." After a moment seeing the conversation shift in tone he grunts in surprise. "Seems somethings may chance after-all," says Atanase before nodding to both Kallisto and then Tara.
"Good luck and safe travels to you both, I suspect the town will take a bit of recovering from this."

Kallisto listened to the conversation from across the room, what she could hear from the distance, "There's ... been a lot going on in a short amount of time. Everyone's wound tightly, and have yet to have a chance to ... put their thoughts in order." She glance to Atanase, "Do you know of some history between the two? Or ... are you leaving already?"

"I have to be leaving but if you have some questions you could walk with me," says Atanase smiling for a moment. "It will be like the walk we had on the docks."

Tara waved to Atanase, "Safe travels to you as well Atanase, I hope you find whatever you're looking for," says Tara looking over to the wounded frowning. She still had more reserves that needed to be expended. "What I seek often shows up in the strangest of places, good bye Tara Kolyana."

With that Tara heads off and Atanase looks to Kallisto as if questioning whether shes coming and begins to walk.

Léone looks up to Bernard as he speaks, slowly getting up herself and patting off her dress. She sighs, turning to James. "... He's right, you know. I'm sure we all want to move on from the past as much as you do, but it doesn't mean we can ignore everything that's happened."

She grasps his hand and looks directly into his eyes. "I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, just this once. But while I have a feeling that you're not hiding anything, there is clearly... something that's making everyone worry so much. For the people who've suffered here tonight, I think we need to at least start looking deeper into your family's past... our family's past, now."

She glances at Bernard and nods briefly before looking back. "...No more secrets, that's what everyone wants. Jonathan is cleaning up his deal with Legba, whatever it was - that's why I asked you earlier if he had mentioned anything. I had hoped to pull you aside earlier, but I couldn't so close to the... demonstration..." She sighs, shaking her head. "Whatever. Like you said, the past is in the past... but we have to clean it up before we move on. Tie up loose ends. Get to the bottom of whatever your family's legacy was."

Ludwig looks at the man in anticipation, wondering if his questions will be answered. Shortly after things seem to go into the wrong direction as Isaiah begins to cast spells and stirs up mayhem in the manor.

Spells are being flung, the sound of metal hitting metal vibrates through the air. Ludwig sighs and lifts up his shoulders in a small shrug, lowering them to grab a glass of wine and swishes it around in it's cup. He looks with a mixture of enthousiasm and surprise as a giant skeletal beast bursts into the manor and devours some bystanders, all while the other skeletons are slashing up what remains.

A few people manage to survive the initial onslaught, one of them manages to crawl their way to Ludwig's feet, falling unconscious in front of him. "Oh hello there. Need a hand?" He says, reaching into his pocket and jamming a needle into the man's back. The man instantly takes a sharp breath before darting away as fast as he can. "That'll be... nevermind." Looking back towards the main attraction, walls of thorns are being created and the roars of battle roar louder with the second.

Funny enough, it was over as quick as it started. Before Ludwig could finish his wine, the man who caused all this terror laid dead on the floor. Seeing some familiar faces flock towards the man, Ludwig shrugs and waits patiently. When Arissa takes a seat next to him, he passes her the bottle of wine while still staring at the dead necromancer.

Nodding towards Atanase, "I ... if you wouldn't mind, I think I'd like that."

As Tara moved away and Atanase began to step away, Kallisto gave Marcus another hug, though she tried to keep from getting blood on him, be it her own or what was splattered on her during the battle. "I'll come back after I speak with Atanase, and then we can maybe head home together ..." She pulled away and pointed to Sulrac, "Keep that with you as well -- who knows what else is still left for the night." Turning to look towards the others in the center, "If they clear everyone out of this room, I'll try to meet you in the entryway."

Attempting to catch up with Atanase, carefully stepping on the slick floor from spilled drinks and blood in her bare feet, she pulled off what remained of her shawl, revealing the top she had worn underneath. Wrapping the fabric back around the edge of the blade she carried the heavy weapon on her shoulder, somewhat wishing the brace for it had appeared with it as well.

"...how was your trip on the Shivering Chills? It's not a bad ship, in my mind, but I don't much care for it's figurehead."

Arissa takes the bottle from Ludwig wordlessly, briefly glances at the label before scowling and then takes a big drink of wine. Doctor’s orders I suppose... She looks over to the space Jonathan was speaking from and sighs, exasperated. “This is not the time for jokes...” She trails off as Bernard speaks of their task and her eyes briefly widen. She hisses to him in a sharp whisper. “No more arguing. Go!” Before turning back to Bernard, confused. Why would he mention that now... and why does Léone know of it?

Arissa braces an arm against the table as she painfully rises from her seat, clearing her throat before speaking. “If you wish to know of heists, you should know this. There was an attempt made to break into the Blackburn vaults by a group of Falkovnians, as well as another man I could not identify. Two of the Falkovnian lay dead, albeit not by my hand, and another unconscious. The other man when I had left was cowering on the floor with soiled trousers. Unfortunately, this happened only moments before the recent... incident, so for all I know he may well have escaped his questioning. I do, however, have this.” Arissa walled over to Thomas, crisply whipping out the letter she had found and handing it to Thomas. “Forgive me, landrechter, but I cannot read Falkovnian. I pray that it is not an errand list.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back