Blackburn's Crossing Chapter 3: A Ball to Die for

Status
Not open for further replies.
James’ face goes from hard to soft as Bernard talks. “Then we are in agreement,” says James taking Bernards hand. “I’ll share with you anything I find out about my family that is less than savory, and I’m sure Leone will help me figure out some of the devices I’ve still yet to figure out.”

“I don’t know why we had a need for the Guardians, nor why our Ancestors would agree to such a thing. I’m curious to know more about this ‘heist’ that Jonathan did but that can wait I’m sure for now,” says James looking around for Jonathan but not seeing him. “I’ve arranged for an influx of trade, and work to hopefully bring more money and influence to this town. With Leone’s family being from Dementlieu our ties among them should also be leaned on.”

With her mention he looks over to her smiling. “It is a relief to know that it had no effect on her loving me then,” he says as if a weight is off his shoulders. “Tomorrow we’ll start digging through the mess together.”

He looks to the book in Bernard’s hand. “And if you need any help with whatever Isaiah was threatening there let me know. I want to help,” says James as he looks around to you all. “I may seem busy but I always have time for friends.”

James looks back to Leone. “I believe you deserve at least one last piece of happiness before the night is over,” he says smirking. He comes forward to kiss Leone. “Thanks for not leaving me. I would be dead if you hadn’t healed me.”

As that is going on and Thomas takes the letter from Arissa a voice that is clear and confident rings through the conversations. "Oh he won't be getting away any time soon," says Violette poking the Scientist forward at the end of her Rapier. "I think I found the mess you were talking about. This man had opened the vault and was trying to take this."

Violette holds up a small object that twists and reshapes in her palm into different shapes. "Curious but he wouldn't tell me what it was for," says Violette tossing the object after it transforms again into a sphere that James' catches. James looks for a moment and his anger shows at the new development. "Thomas could you take this man. I want to know why he was after this and what he knows about it, because my parents records don't have anything on this that I could find.... yet."

“The figure head may be a little quaint but the crew is excellent. They’ve endured a bit of hardship as we hit a bank of mist heading north to Mordentshire and wound up in Borca, where we ended up picking up Ms. Kolyana,” says Atanase continuing his walk. “I noticed that axe appear in your hand just before the fight. It must be useful having such a weapon.”

Last edited:
After some time the little spirit fox returned to Peri. Crouching down settling on her knees, her dress pooling around her, she let it hop into her arms and as she held it close it dissipated into nothing.

Looking down at Isaiah she leaned over the man and closed his eyes and folded his hands over his chest saying a quick prayer. Settling back onto her heels she just stares at him.

Bernard accepts the book from Yelcan, heeding Van Richten's warning about detroying the book. He keeps it covered in the cloth, worried to even lay eyes on it.

Bernard nods as James finishes, his frown fades, but he does not smile, Isaiah's body still in view. "One, small request. Will you have Isaiah's body delivered to the church before sunrise? I intend to lay him in the family crypt along with the other Hathoways. I'll perform the ceremony before Maria's tomorrow so it happens quietly."

He turns to Violette as she turns over the scientist to Thomas. Seeing Arissa in pain he steps to her, his hand glowing as he presses it against her side. He smiles as her wounds close, he feels the divine energy radiate through him giving her life. "I can get the truth from that man Thomas. And you still have the murder of Maria to announce though it's easy enough to wave off her death in tonight's events." He sighs, "I suppose this is the first night in a new Crossing. You're still the sheriff, and last of the old guard. Will you be keeping secrets, Thomas? We'll see in the morning. If that's all we should get home and rest."

Arissa smirks as she sees Violette enter with the scientist, however finds it odd that she would have been near the vault to begin with. “Violette Reiner, it is a pleasure to see you once again. Thank you for dealing with de slordige seconden, I am afraid I found myself distracted by the situation down below.”

Arissa then looks over and smiles as Bernard approached, all other concerns briefly forgotten. As he laid his hands on her side, Arissa could feel the warm glow of his healing light begin to repair the wounds throughout her body. “Thank you so much, Bernard... I am so happy to see that you are well.” She embraced him tightly for a long moment before breaking away, and attempting to regain her composure as a proper noble, and turning to Thomas. “Ahem. I believe there should be another Falkovnian man lying unconscious upstairs then. You may wish to detain him as well. Unfortunately, I had not found any evidence of the object of our earlier investigation on the men.”

Arissa then turns back to Bernard with a slight smile. “You are correct, of course. There has been enough conflict tonight. We do all need some time to think, and perhaps cooler heads will prevail in the morning.”

As Atanase mentions the axe Kallisto frowned slightly, "I ... did not expect it to appear to be honest. I had left it at home -- an event like this is no place for a weapon this large, even if I was there to help protect the crowd." She bit her lip for a moment, "I'm torn ... I'm partly glad it appeared because it was useful ... but knowing that it can just appear means it'll be more difficult to keep from using it."

Léone nods as James begins to speak, relieved that the tension in the air appeared to die down. "Of course I'd be willing to help with the research - that's what I was hired for in the first place, after all." She flashes a tired smile, mentally drained from the whole ordeal. "I'm sure the Vaugrenards would be delighted to open trade down here, among other things. It's the least they could do." In her head, the thought continued, "...for helping to treat Rosie."

Pushing that back for the time being, she turned her attention back to the conversation at hand. "Are you sure about that, James? I feel like you might've charmed me while I wasn't looking." She chuckles and smirks. "Together sounds like a plan."

Seeing him approach she gladly leans in for the kiss, treasuring it for several seconds before releasing and breathing a sigh of satisfaction. She smiles sweetly, looking up into his eyes. "I saved you with your own invention, sure. We're a pretty good team, if I do say so myself."

Turning to look as Violette arrives and tosses the strange object to James, she raises an eyebrow. "That was hidden away in the vault? Strange..." In the back of her mind, she recalls Ludovico and his apparent knowledge about the machine. She glances over Violette, then to the scientist, then back to James with a slight frown. "... It seems to me that knowledge of your parents' inventions is a bit more dispersed than I thought. We should try to figure that out sometime as well."

Having said all that, she finally lets out a yawn and blinks her eyes. She didn't realize just how tiring this day had been until now. "This has felt like one of the longest days of my entire life. It'd be nice if I could get out of this stuffy dress and finally go to bed."

Yelcan was a little concerned about Peri's silence in reponse to his questions, but before he could say anything he was interrupted by the man named Van Richten. Yelcan turned to the man, and without any hesitation showed him the dagger and the book. Hearing his slight warning with the dagger, he put it back into his belt making sure to ask Leone to identify its properties when she got a chance. When the older man had such an extreme reaction to the book, he was filled with relief that he had listened to the voice of caution in his head and wrapped it up. He took back the book, saying "Thank you for that sir, I appreciate the word of caution. I will bring this to Father Bernard to dispose of as soon as...that's over." He nodded towards the heated arguement with a frown, displeased by the immediate anger and accusations so soon after such a terrible attack.

Finally the arguing dies down and the two men shake hands, which Yelcan takes as his cue. Turning to Peri he whispered "I'll be right back" and then walked over to Bernard. Clearing his throat to make his presence known, Yelcan says "Father Bernard, this book was found on the body of the necromancer, I wrapped it in a cloth out of caution, which was a wise decision based on what that man" He gestured towards Van Richten "Told me. He reccomended that it gets destroyed immediately, so I leave this in the care of the church. What better way to destroy evil eh?"

Once Bernard takes the book Yelcan turns to go back to Peri, but notices she isn't off to the side where he left her. Looking around the room, he sees her kneeling next to Isaiah's body, staring at it. He watched the deadpan expression on her face and that concern he had felt minutes ago doubled, and he immediately kneeled down next to her. "I'm really sorry about all of this Peri. I know you're probably still in shock, or just trying to understand all of this, but I just want you to know I'm here for you. I'll be here for you whenever you want to talk, or to stuff you full of raspberry pastries if you don't." Yelcan gave her a sad little smile at his attempt at humor in this sad situation. "I understand if you want to be alone right now, but if you want I can take you home or somewhere quiet where you can be away from all of this...chaos right now. Whatever you need, I'm here for you."

To Kallisto:

"Perhaps that is because it wants to be used, there are objects that I've read about sharing similar qualities. I would be careful with it, sometimes items like that have a mind of their own," says Atanase as he continued to walk. He was content to walk in silence if Kallisto had no more questions.

"That is completely understandable Arissa, it sounds like things down here went a little crazy to be honest," says Violette handing over the Scientist and Thomas not surprisingly produced shackles. He looks to Bernard shaking his head. "Don't bother looking for the third one, he seems have gotten free of his bonds and jumped out a window."

"Right, well I guess that settles that then. Come on Dmitri we've got a nice cell that one of your buddies has cosied up for you a few days ago, and Bernard, I know you're in a higher position with more responsibilities, but think before you act, that's all I ask," says Thomas as he pushes Dmitri along heading out the door.

Automatrons begin to scour the place cleaning up the glass. James nods his accent to Bernard. "I will have his body there in the morning," says James looking over to Bernard. "I may have a machine that could get answers from Isaiah.... but it's only ever been used on the living." He looks between everyone gathered and shrugs. His attention then turns to Leone who had mentioned his families devices being more disseminated.

"You're right. I seem to vaguely recall having visitors come here sometimes when I was a kid, perhaps some of the investors know about things that I don't know about? I mean I've been gone thirteen years, who knows how many people they have met with in that time, and if they had a deal with the Falkovnians..." he said looking down at the shape as it transformed into a small box. "I don't know but we need answers. I'm sure most people are going to finally get some rest after this event..."

In her mind Kallisto heard the hungry rumble of the weapon, still excited from the "meal" it had earlier from the skeletons. "It ... wants to be used for a reason I'm not really keen on encouraging." They walked quietly for a bit before she spoke again, "I asked earlier ... but have you known the Blackburn family for awhile?"

Glancing around the building as they made their way she continued, "To be honest ... for most of my memory, this was just a building I never expected to enter, something I'd see every day, meant for people very much unlike myself. I -- I never really paid attention to the Blackburn family, but it sounds like they ... had their hands in many things."

To Kallisto:

"I've been alive long enough to have known the first Blackburn that moved out here. They originally came from Mordentshire up north, not sure if they still own the manor in the lands up near there, but they decided to try and start a place down river to promote trade and give them a bit more privacy. There was a problem with people trying to steal their research. Something any inventor would take very seriously," says Atanase as he walks along humming a tune inbetween questions.
"I can't say I've known all the Blackburns though, James here seems alright compared to some of the bloodline and I hope he might be a sign of change. Hopefully I made enough impression on him that I might be invited to the next Ball."

Kallisto nodded, "From what I spoken with him ... he seems intent on trying to do what he can -- trying to help as he can. My own concerns he offered to help with, when he could have easily cast me aside."

She gave a slight smile, "Hopefully whenever the next ball is, it's ... the only noise is from the musicians." Listening to Atanase humming, "I ... can't imagine living that long. Even the few dwarves and others that stop by with the ships, to hear them speak of centuries as if they were nothing -- it's interesting, when some of them recall cities that were once villages, but ... they also sometimes recall ruins that were once bustling towns... towns like Tumbledown, with destroyed buildings and ashen streets..."

Peri looks up to Yelcan and smiles as he crouched down to her position. Placing her hands on either side of his face as he talks. Her thumb brushes across his worried brow and she shakes her head.

Moving in close she gives him a quick kiss, then presses her forhead to his closing her eyes taking in a deep breath. With tears building on her lashes. “It tried to take me away, It hurt like fire bursting in my chest I was so scared and everything went dark.” Slipping back to sitting onto her feet again before continuing. Her voice steady she smiled “Then I saw a cloaked phantom made from bones, it offered its hand and I wasn’t scared anymore.”

Pressing up from the floor she offers her hand to him still smiling. “Are you alright, did Isaiah hurt you at all?”

Yelcan's ears burned hot, not because of the kiss, but with anger at Isaiah for bringing something like that into this house that almost took Peri. He glanced down at the dead body of Isaiah, suppressing his disgust for the man for Peri's sake. He rose with her, taking the hand she offered and began to lead her towards the door. "No, luckily I am not hurt. I am so sorry that you had to go through that, it sounds absolutely terrifying. But it's all over now, you're here, you're okay, and we will be able to move forward from this. But first...we need to get you home."

Bernard watched as Yelcan cared for Peri. Carefully adjusting the cloth on the book and checking the flute case for the deck, he shakes his head then feels for Merris' book in his belt.

As Yelcan and Peri left, Bernard crossed the ballroom collecting his mask. A small crack runs through it, but it was still in one piece. He tied it to his belt and moved to Arissa offering his arm.

"Yelcan and Peri just left. Let's get home. We'll give them some space but I'd rather know they're safe." He flashed a tired smiled to Arissa, running the back of his hand tenderly across her cheek, "I'm so glad you're ok. We can talk on the way back or when we get home if you like."

Bernard and Arissa left the ballroom, following Yelcan and Peri at a distance.

Ballroom:

James watches Bernard leaving without a comment to his half asked question unanswered. Understanding that most people were to tired to continue he looked down into his palm, the changing item that continued to change shapes. Why had they been after this? Why was it in the vault? He looks to Leone and holds it up. "Guess I'm in for another long night," he says holding up the object. "You know where to find me if you need me."

He gives Leone a quick hug and heads to his private library after checking in on Grimdosh. He sits down looking at the vast amounts of books in front of him for a moment, and then pulls one to begin.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Jonathan stumbles barely catching himself on the wall of his house. Breathing hard for some reason he just holds himself up there, slowly more pain shoots through his body and he turns around leaning against the wall for support and eases himself down. "What the hell is this..." he comments to himself as from the dark corners of the night a familiar yellow eyed man steps forth.

"It is Arissa. She grows stronger, and you grow weaker. The time you have left isn't much Jonathan, if she was but a normal person you'd have many years to live but Arissa's life is caught in the center of a vortex, she must evolve or die, and thus she grows in power rapidly along with her companions. I would make your goodbye's soon Jonathan, even you can't put up a healthy face like this for long."

"I still got some fight left in me," says Jonathan as he looks over to Papa Legba who slowly turns his head to meet Jonathan's eyes. "So wait... are you like looking at the wall right now or can you see me?"

"Jonathan Einhorn, always asking the questions that matter. Hand me what you've found."

Jonathan pulls out a single thin object made of wood tossing it to Papa Legba who catches it mid flight without effort. He examines the object before placing it away into a pocket. "So with that we're done with you right? You can move on from here."

"In a manner of speaking. The threat to my existence has been lessened, I however am still bound to the rules. Rules that I cannot break."

"Sounds like a personal problem to me," says Jonathan as he slowly starts to push himself up. Papa Legba smiles his white teethed smile, as he watches Jonathan making his way around the building.

"If you should ever want to end it Jonathan. I can make it painless."

Jonathan stops for a moment giving him a look back, and he puts on a wide grin.
"I'm sure, but if you should ever want to end it Legba, I'm afraid there's no way it's going to be painless."

To Kallisto:

"It's best not to dwell in the past when you are as long lived, there are far too many painful memories to remember, people lost, and mistakes taken. Looking forward is the key to any long life," says Atanase as they start to make their way to the harbor. Most people having made their way home in the mist the trip was proving fairly quiet and uneventful. "I'm sure you will be able to handle whatever life throws at you. It is just a matter of fact that live will continue to forge us into what we were meant to be, but remember never to betray your friends trust if you can help it."

Kallisto nodded as she adjusted the greataxe to a more comfortable position. "I have not had many in my life I'd consider friends, so the few that I do ... I'm very keen to keep them."

What little Kallisto could see in the dark and between the mist she could tell they were starting to approach the docks, "May I ask where you're going to try and head this time...? You said before you went through some mist and ended up actually going the wrong direction. Are you still going to try and go to Mordentshire?"

To Kallisto:

"Yes, still trying to head to Mordentshire, and then perhaps beyond," says Atanase seeming not to worried about it. "Seems I'll probably just end up going where the Mists want to take me." Atanase looks to Kallisto as they walk up to the start of the wooden docks, and then stops among the creaking boats. "Who knows, maybe it will bring me here once more."

Lifting the weapon off her shoulder she stood leaning against it instead as she watched the ships rock in the water. "Maybe it will -- though next time I might have a gift for you. I like to carve things for people ... maybe if I make you a small totem it will help guide you where you're hoping to land?" She gave a sly smile, "Maybe a small boat of your own to keep with you, help you on the tricky rivers and waterways. When the large ones steer you wrong, you'd have at least one that goes where you want."

Kallisto bowed her head towards Atanase, "I am glad I got to see you again Atanase, and speak with you. Be as safe as you can, in this dangerous world of ours. I look forward to seeing you again."

Hefting her greataxe back onto her shoulders she began her trek back to the manor, slightly chilled from the night air and the damp that clung to her, feet slipping on some of the cobblestones. After getting back to the manor she found Marcus, the two of them returning to their home for the night.

Marsh House:

Durendal maintains a patrol around the Marsh house as the fog grows steadily less dense he notices footsteps out the back that he hadn't noticed before. Altering his Master he was told to investigate carefully, proceeding forward carefully into the swamp he comes upon a pixie pinned to a tree. He answers a few of his master's questions, before being told to wait and that he would be investigating to where a second set of tracks leading north went. Eventually a few figures come out the back door of Marsh's house to see what Durendal sees.

Lina's teeth chatter in the cold night. She is soaked to the bone, and tries desperately feebly to remove the needle stuck through her abdomen that pings her to the tree. From the point of the needle's entry dark tendril like burn marks scar her green flesh, and as her hands come into contact with the needle it sears blackening her hands before she lets go. Her teeth continue to chatter but she hears someone approaching. Her eyes look through her soaked long red hair towards the source and see's familiar faces coming her way.
"I....sa... ia...."

To Kallisto:

"I will look forward to recieving your gift then," says Atanase smilingly softly for a moment. "Maybe it will prove to be just the good luck charm I need. Farewell Kallisto, may your travels fare you well." With that Atanase gives you a slight bow, and then starts off to the docks humming softly as he walks into the foggy night.

Bernard approaches, Lina with caution. Reaching out with one gloved hand he supports her on the tree, with the other gloved hand he carefully removes the needle, sticking it in his belt pouch.
With her in his arms, he clutches his amulet, "Ezra, my mother's companion is in need of your healing light." As he finishes, he can feel the energy pass into the small pixie. Shivering, teeth chattering, he carefully unties the top of his tunic, gently resting her inside. "There, there, Lina. We'll get you home then we'll warm you up."

Looking around to Arissa, Peri, Yelcan, and Durendal he states, "We should return home. The swamp is dangerous at night and she is not well. Durendal, if you could continue to follow the new tracks. I'll make sure there are plenty of apples tomorrow. You've done me great service today."

Annabelle took off her sword belt placing it on the desk within her room as she sighed. She'd known it was going to be bad, but the living conditions of some of the people on the boat was beyond bearable. She wondered exactly where they were taking all the people that passed through town. Surely they had to be sold to someone but who and for what purpose? Shaking her head with weariness she moves over to her bed plopping down onto it. There was enough suffering out in the world without trying to cover it up with fancy parties. She was sure it would have been an enjoyable time if she had decided to go but there were just more important things at the moment. There was only one thing that was important now, she knew the group's name. The Black Flames.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Atanase walked aboard the ship, looking to the captain who had waited as instructed. He nods to him before going below deck into the cramped narrow hallways of this ship. His room was no bigger than six feet by four feet. Barely enough to fit a bed, but somehow it managed to function as lodging. He sat on the bed taking out a book, and upon opening each page had black lines throughout the old and seemingly ruined book. He spoke words to the book, and slowly the black lines began to form into letters and then sentences. The front of the book began to fix itself as well giving the book title. The Alchemist's Grimoire. "It's been a long time old friend. Time I put you to good use," says the Alchemist.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lina curls up in a small leaf bed made by Peri next to a burning candle. She hasn't woken up since falling unconscious out on the edge of the swamps, but her eyes move underneath her eye lids as she vividly dreams. The candle burns long into the night the small amount of heat keeping Lina warm as the cold slowly leaves her body. "Mer....ris...." she mutters in her sleep.

Arabelle walks along side the Vardo's being pulled by horses watching the mist. They didn't want to run into any Mist creatures while they were out here, they could be numerous or few and take nearly the form of anything. The men of the Dizaverni tribe were out keeping guard as they proceeded through this mist way. Failing having a true Raunie for their tribe meant they would have to stay to established routes, though even those could be unpredictable. Raul walked up next to Arabelle, and she could tell he had something on his mind. "Is there something wrong Raul?" she asks looking at him for a moment before looking back into the mists ahead.

"Seems like this journey is going to take a bit longer than anticipated isn't it?" asked Raul. Arabelle walked for a bit before shrugging. "It's never a sure thing, will it take a day? Will it take three days? Who knows. We've already wondered for three light and dark cycles but that doesn't mean time has passed."

"True, it's just been awhile since a travel has taken so long before," says Raul. Then he looked over to Arabelle with a curious look. "So you're from the Zarovan tribe right? I've heard they've found a cure for their wanderlust."

Arabelle nods to this. "It's not really a cure, but the ruler of the land has invited us to stay, and it seems to have had an effect on many of our people. I don't know too much about it since, I've not experienced what the elder's describe as the wanderlust. I am happy to have been sent out to guide your people the best I can though until you find a suitable replacement," she says before a call out in the front signals that they've found something. Raul and Arabelle cautious move up to the commotion, and upon arriving they see figured pinned up through impalings.

"This is not good, we've ended up in Vlad Drakov's land..." says Raul looking at the people for a moment before moving to block Arabelle's view. She pushes past him shaking her head. "No, I fear its much worse," says Arabelle looking up at the bodies and pointing at their adornments.
"They are all Vistani. We are in HIS Domain..... Malocchio."

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Van Richten sits in a chair facing the fire, a small amount of wine poured into a glass. He gazed into the fire thinking about the far past when he had been a simple physician, living in Darkon with his wife and child. He had been bought a patient in the middle of the night, and his failure to save that one patient had set off a rippling affect throughout his life. What would have life been like if he had saved that young man's life. Then there was that book that had brought back painful memories of his own son, and his failure to save him as well. Why did that book bother him so much? Was it his advanced age finally catching up to him or just the suddenness in which he had remembered his dead son. No he felt there was something else that was pricking the back of his head whenever he thought of that book, but he could not remember. So he sat pondering into the night until at last he fell asleep in the chair next to the fire.

END OF CHAPTER 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back