TV & Film Black Panther

nikiri

Who's excited about the Black Panther movie??? I'm so very burned out on all supers movies, but I'm really excited about this one!

I’m kind of so-so on Marvel movies. They’re hit or miss, really. Some are great, while others are... eh. I tend to like it when there is a darker theme and they take it more seriously as opposed to when it’s lighthearted, and seemingly a comedy (like Iron Man 3 was).

I mean, I don’t know if I’m really that interested in the Black Panther movie. You can’t really find an honest review on it with how people are acting with this movie.

I don’t know, if it’s actually good, maybe I’ll watch it. But I’ve been disinterested in Marvel movies and shows for a couple years now. I’ll wait to hear an honest review on it before I decide to watch it when it comes out On Demand. I have no interest in the new Avengers. I think the superhero genre is getting old for me at this point. But we’ll see.

I’m kind of so-so on Marvel movies. They’re hit or miss, really. Some are great, while others are... eh. I tend to like it when there is a darker theme and they take it more seriously as opposed to when it’s lighthearted, and seemingly a comedy (like Iron Man 3 was).

I mean, I don’t know if I’m really that interested in the Black Panther movie. You can’t really find an honest review on it with how people are acting with this movie.

I don’t know, if it’s actually good, maybe I’ll watch it. But I’ve been disinterested in Marvel movies and shows for a couple years now. I’ll wait to hear an honest review on it before I decide to watch it when it comes out On Demand. I have no interest in the new Avengers. I think the superhero genre is getting old for me at this point. But we’ll see.
It's one of the good ones, but if you're already burned out on Marvel stuff that might not matter. The world in this movie is so different that I think it'll alleviate a lot of the super hero fatigue, but I can't say for sure because I don't suffer from super hero fatigue. I see every super hero movie that comes out in theaters and I ain't tired yet, so keep in mind I'm a big fan of this shit. And I gotta say, I think it's the best origin movie in Marvel's catalog.

While it's not flawless, the issues with the movie are heavily overshadowed by the characters, story, and world building. I'm having trouble even thinking of flaws for the movie that are significant enough to mention. I could repeat what some of my favorite YouTubers have said: wonky pacing in the first half, dubious cgi and green screen in some parts. But I don't really agree with either of those. The movie felt brisk as a whole to me, and none of the cgi ruined my immersion. There was some obvious green screen here and there, but eh.

It does have a darker and more serious vibe, but the jokes are still present. Luckily, they're never really out of place, and T'Challa himself (Black Panther) isn't a quip machine like Ant-Man, Iron Man, or Doctor Strange. He's very stoic, and the few humorous remarks he does have are in that spirit. There are other characters who are more humorous, but it's all very tasteful and feels true to their personas. I certainly wouldn't say it's enough to make the movie is lighthearted due to the themes on display.

I gotta say, the villain of this movie is the best the MCU's ever done. Even better than Loki in my opinion. Most MCU villains are whatever, but oh jeez, this guy is good. He's menacing, you can sympathize with him to some degree, and he challenges the hero in more ways than just physically. In my opinion, he's what really takes this movie to the next level as far as Marvel movies go. He's what gives the movie its darker and more complex vibe. His theme music is used expertly.

That's another plus I have to give the movie, the music is excellent. I would recommend seeing it in theaters if only to experience the soundtrack and the visuals on an actual movie screen with surround sound and whatnot. Without giving too much away, there's a very purposeful difference in genres when the hero is on the screen and when the villain is on the screen, and it all comes together really well.

Ultimately I'd say it's worth a watch. It's unique enough to stand on its own, but it's not gonna make you fall in love with the MCU as a whole if you're already tired of it. If you really don't care about any of this super hero shit, then there's no reason to rush to see the movie. It's not gonna change your life. But it's a very solid film. More than solid. Worth watching on On Demand later if you ask me.

Just got home from the theater. Still reeling. Black Panther was visually, musically, thematically beautiful. The sheer afrofuturism of it all. The panafricanism. The way it handled the realities of the diaspora. The soundtrack is excellent. I was actually holding off on the music until I could discover it in theaters (I've been waiting for this movie for months, okay, I wanted the experience). And it did not disappoint.
T'Challa I've loved since Civil War. However, I do feel that as a character, he could use a couple of flaws. Regardless, Chadwick Boseman did a great job. Long live the King.
Techie Princess Shuri was one of the best parts of the film for me. Funny and brilliant.
And Killmonger. As S SirBlazeALot said, the villain is really something else. I really did empathize with him. Obviously, the best kind of villain is one where . . . you can see where they're coming from. And I won't get into that, lest a messy debate come my way and ruin my peace or I accidentally spoil it for someone, but he was very well done.
So yes, I did get emotional. A couple of times. And I got very excited. Many times. I was that little geek squealing in the theater (I did tone it down for everyone else's sake)-- as I said, I've been waiting on this for months. I was also one of the last to leave the room (to the amused chagrin of my less geeky friend). The mid-credit scene was good. The post-credit scene was great, and only made me more impatient for Infinity War -.-

All that said, I intend to see it twice more in theaters within the next couple of weeks, so I can only advise everyone to see it at least once.

Sibelle Grey Sibelle Grey ... there was a post credit as well as the mid-credit scene???!!! I walked out too soon!!! Please pm me what happened!!!!!

Sibelle Grey Sibelle Grey ... there was a post credit as well as the mid-credit scene???!!! I walked out too soon!!! Please pm me what happened!!!!!
lmaooo never trust Marvel! My friend was like 'dude it's over let's go' and I was sitting there in my seat through about five minutes of credits. I learned my lesson with Homecoming when I found the post-credit scene online and died laughing. I'll tell you all about it!

Thank you!!!! Thank you!!! I felt like I was left hanging on a cliffhanger Matrix-style after
T'Challa's scene at the UN!

Ugh... this just excites me for the next one. The only problem is if the director and writers can keep the originality. I really don't wanna see Black Panther in Detroit or some diatribe that stems from
Wakanda trying to save all the black people in the world like Killmonger wanted to do.

Side Note: I know this is off topic, but I can't WAIT for A Wrinkle In Time. I have to re-read the books!

It probably won't. And that's the debate I really wanna stay out of, because someone's bound to get ruffled, but let's discuss it over PMs.

I thought the original material was handled well for the most part. I particularly liked Killmonger's father character. Killmonger is originally from Harlem in the comics, but Oakland (or any major urban community ) works just as well imo. His character always had shades of being the " angry afrocentric militant" , they just leaned into that a little harder and made him seem more rogue/sympathetic, and it worked.

I wonder if this newfound interest in Afrofuturism will translate into the roleplay scene , it most likely won't, We probably won't get any world of wakanda roleplays, and more than likely we'll see more of the same old same old, but here's hoping it's a start of something more, more creative adventurous writers might seize upon this trend, but I'd hold my breath. The community is utterly devoid of Africa-based storytelling, which is disappointing, but to be expected.

The community is utterly devoid of Africa-based storytelling storytelling

legiiiiiiiiiiiit. A year or so back I wanted to do something based on initiation rituals gone wrong then I was like . . . I might be the only person on this entire site interested in this.
Please don't hold your breath for a wave of Africa-based roleplays, you will die.

I wonder if this newfound interest in Afrofuturism will translate into the roleplay scene , it most likely won't, We probably won't get any world of wakanda roleplays, and more than likely we'll see more of the same old same old, but here's hoping it's a start of something more, more creative adventurous writers might seize upon this trend, but I'd hold my breath. The community is utterly devoid of Africa-based storytelling, which is disappointing, but to be expected.
I really doubt there'll be a wave of BP or Wakanda based RPs, though if there is I'm into that. I actually really hope that the success of the movie might encourage some people to pick up some of the comics, because there's so many good BP storylines.

I'm so glad it finally came out!! Back in 2015 there was whispers about Marvel making it, so I've been holding my breath for three years :,)

legiiiiiiiiiiiit. A year or so back I wanted to do something based on initiation rituals gone wrong then I was like . . . I might be the only person on this entire site interested in this.
Please don't hold your breath for a wave of Africa-based roleplays, you will die.
I really doubt there'll be a wave of BP or Wakanda based RPs, though if there is I'm into that. I actually really hope that the success of the movie might encourage some people to pick up some of the comics, because there's so many good BP storylines.
I was actually wondering this too, and I'm pretty hype to see there's some interest for it here.

If there are, then I'm down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back