• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Nation Building Birth of Civilisation (OOC PAGE)

Characters
Here
Oof, finally finished my nation. I've been thinking, and I have two questions. Not to hurry anyone, but when will the RP start? and, will there be other "non-player" nations to fill some of the spatial gaps in the map? It feels a bit weird to live in a world where only 6-7 nations exist proper.

I know I’m late! I’m sorry!

Elucid Elucid I’m thinking of a matriarchal civilization, a war-centered culture, and the religion I’m still a bit undecided on, but I’m thinking of something a little similar to The Chantry from Dragon Age, if you’re familiar with the franchise.
That sounds great, you'd be a monotheist in a very polytheistic world and yes I love Dragon Age, only played two of the games tho.

Oof, finally finished my nation. I've been thinking, and I have two questions. Not to hurry anyone, but when will the RP start? and, will there be other "non-player" nations to fill some of the spatial gaps in the map? It feels a bit weird to live in a world where only 6-7 nations exist proper.
I'm thinking that Monday will probably be when we start rolling out the turns properly, so just a little while longer.

At the moment there wont be any proper NPCs, but players will be able to essentially NPC neighboring realms for lore and histories and the like, which will be mostly up to them for world building purposes. Since we're in the ancient times right now, where there can be random decentralized tribes and people's running around, and lands not officially claimed, I'm not too worried about an empty world, because it will be inhabited IC, but when we start getting further into the timeline, there'll probably be some proper NPC's worked out, so it makes more sense to not have so much blank space.

We've got a little death triangle of nations between Calabria, Tunisia and Sardinia. This can only end well.

A slaver nation versus two non-slavers, and a highly militaristic one sandwiched between two others. At 1000 BCE. That's the grandfather of the Punic Wars. Hooray.

A slaver nation versus two non-slavers, and a highly militaristic one sandwiched between two others. At 1000 BCE. That's the grandfather of the Punic Wars. Hooray.
Make like the Illyrians and raid tf outta 'em while they fighting.

Last edited:
If only this took place 1500 BC so I could be one of the historically few major sources of tin. Would have made so much cash giving all of you better bronze weapons to kill each other with.

Intriguing. Who's the puppet?

Hopefully not the Misiltani people. But assuming how stupid diplomatically weak they are... uhm.

If only this took place 1500 BC so I could be one of the historically few major sources of tin. Would have made so much cash giving all of you better bronze weapons to kill each other with.

That remark made me question something: Carpathian peoples, for instance, live next to abundance of iron, so even in pre-Iron Age wouldn't they use iron rather than bronze? Hmm.

The Hittites were around modern day Turkey and they were believed to start making iron weapons somewhere around 1500 BC. The main issue was somebody finding out how to seperate the iron from the ore and when that happened the Greeks got absolutely destroyed. Really it came down to iron being so much more common than copper and tin. Back to the question, if your people have a blast furnace go wild.

The Hittites were around modern day Turkey and they were believed to start making iron weapons somewhere around 1500 BC. The main issue was somebody finding out how to seperate the iron from the ore and when that happened the Greeks got absolutely destroyed. Really it came down to iron being so much more common than copper and tin. Back to the question, if your people have a blast furnace go wild.
Maybe this could be like the silk worm situation, whoever figures it out first keeps it a well guarded secret. Until of course those goddamned Venetians come by and steal it.

The main thread is up! If I've given a reaction to your CS then you've been accepted:

I'm gonna take a little time to work on my turn, but feel free to post before then if you put down all the information you need.

I'm honestly really impressed with all the CS' so far, so keep up the good work!

Hypnos Hypnos , now that the game is to begin I realised I'm confused with a few topics:

1. How does technology work exactly? Can I pick the starting technologies of my people? Do you, or us, get to choose which technologies we shall learn next?
2. Am I supposed to write a single post per turn? Or can multiple posts be written?
3. Things such as gold, iron, wood, manpower, military personnel, demographics, etc.; resources in general are things which should be explictly indicated or can we just manipulate it to our will as story progresses (obviously, realistically speaking)?
4. Do you plan on creating a collaborative wiki, so that we may add information as the RP develops?

I've never played a nation RP before, so maybe experience could've answered these questions otherwise. But, nonetheless...

Hypnos Hypnos , now that the game is to begin I realised I'm confused with a few topics:

1. How does technology work exactly? Can I pick the starting technologies of my people? Do you, or us, get to choose which technologies we shall learn next?
2. Am I supposed to write a single post per turn? Or can multiple posts be written?
3. Things such as gold, iron, wood, manpower, military personnel, demographics, etc.; resources in general are things which should be explictly indicated or can we just manipulate it to our will as story progresses (obviously, realistically speaking)?
4. Do you plan on creating a collaborative wiki, so that we may add information as the RP develops?

I've never played a nation RP before, so maybe experience could've answered these questions otherwise. But, nonetheless...
  1. The general rule for technology is that the broad techs are those which we all already have access to, which is shown in the main thread as a little tech tree I stole from Civ IV (everything above Classical is what we already have), and then additional technologies or 'cultural techs' are what you research individually to add a bit of flair and uniqueness to your nation. The example I put in the thread is the War Elephant, but another example of what I'm personally gonna research on the first turn is the Trireme.
  2. For the most part you want one big post for the turn which goes over the overview of the history and advances of the nation over the period, though you can do additional posts for things like diplomacy with other nations where appropriate.
  3. It's freeform, for the most part, as long as things are done within reason and fairly, you can make your own military numbers for example, but I might raise an eyebrow if a peaceful nation somehow summons a massive army just before a war.
  4. I hadn't planned on it, but it's a pretty neat suggestion, so I might get on that in the near future.
Hope that helps.

Hypnos Hypnos Sorry to do this to you, but I'm going to have to back out of this. I don't have the time to juggle multiple roleplays, and a roleplay that's better suited to my preferences is just getting ready to launch. I hope you understand. Best of luck with this.

Is anyone already in the make of their turn? I was waiting for someone to post so I could know how exactly one would roleplay, but it's been a few days and I'm thinking of dropping an indepenent one.

Really sorry things have been going so slow guys. I was hit with a period of being real busy all of a sudden, so I haven't had much time to dedicate to GM'ing this, but it is still going, so I'll try to do more stuff over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back