Chitchat Biggest RP pet peeve?

Maybe that's why the idea appeals to me so much. It would be so much cleaner than all the quick-posting I'm so used to seeing.
Quick posting scares me, unless it's a 1x1. I hate having to disappear and realise that I've missed three deaths and two wars while I've been away xD

I'm for it. I'm just not sure I'm confident enough to DM it. Also... I haven't a clue what manner of story to make it.
You seem smart enough for sure and know what you want. The best way to gain confidence may be to test a very small RP with only 1 or 2 ppl in it. Best thing you can do as DM is let the players just run around and get themselves in trouble. Ok here "The characters are in a medieval tavern and a woman bursts in the door wearing dingy armor and a tattered cloak, she looks serious as she scans the room. She points at the back corner and calls out "Mord Olgar! You're wanted for murder, kidnapping, and the use of illegal magic!" Then, a huge brawl breaks out. What do you do?"

You seem smart enough for sure and know what you want. The best way to gain confidence may be to test a very small RP with only 1 or 2 ppl in it. Best thing you can do as DM is let the players just run around and get themselves in trouble. Ok here "The characters are in a medieval tavern and a woman bursts in the door wearing dingy armor and a tattered cloak, she looks serious as she scans the room. She points at the back corner and calls out "Mord Olgar! You're wanted for murder, kidnapping, and the use of illegal magic!" Then, a huge brawl breaks out. What do you do?"

Honestly, I'm not really interested in anything that... er... disorganized, I guess is the best word for it. I want a solid plot concept with persistent progression. There really isn't much point otherwise. The story needs to have a beginning and a few, possibly several, plausible endings that the characters are capable of working toward, but I want there to be a real, in-depth plot... not just randomness. Maybe that's just me?

Honestly, I'm not really interested in anything that... er... disorganized, I guess is the best word for it. I want a solid plot concept with persistent progression. There really isn't much point otherwise. The story needs to have a beginning and a few, possibly several, plausible endings that the characters are capable of working toward, but I want there to be a real, in-depth plot... not just randomness. Maybe that's just me?
Hey sounds good to me, you have a solid understanding of what you want, just have to figure out where to start. Best of luck to ye!

Hey sounds good to me, you have a solid understanding of what you want, just have to figure out where to start. Best of luck to ye!

All right. I'm going to try this thing. I'm going to use a very old idea and see if I can make it work here. I'm kind of nervous... but also kind of excited. :o

One liners-
When I work my ass off writing at least a five or more sentence starter I expect at least three or more sentences back! If they send me a one liner I will not respond

One liners-
When I work my ass off writing at least a five or more sentence starter I expect at least three or more sentences back! If they send me a one liner I will not respond

I get that. At the same time, I get the other side, too. If your starter is all description and internal monologue, there's not much for an external character to respond to. In a case like that, one-liners are to be expected.

I hate it when people write these big, long, internal monologues that include no real interaction with their environments and then expect people to come back with something equally as long in response when they have nothing personally to respond to. I mean, give me a break. If you want me to reply to something, give me something to reply to. Don't just monologue to yourself and expect me to have a long, interesting response to that.

I get that. At the same time, I get the other side, too. If your starter is all description and internal monologue, there's not much for an external character to respond to. In a case like that, one-liners are to be expected.

I hate it when people write these big, long, internal monologues that include no real interaction with their environments and then expect people to come back with something equally as long in response when they have nothing personally to respond to. I mean, give me a break. If you want me to reply to something, give me something to reply to. Don't just monologue to yourself and expect me to have a long, interesting response to that.
Ugh right, I hate that too! They write a long ass over descriptive paragraph and god mod in it to by grabbing your character or knocking them out or something, then they chew you out for writing a One line response! Like that's all we could do though! I'm careful to leave a lot of room for my Rp partner to be able to write more than one line though.

When you're the one putting in all the friggin' effort, but they just flail around and don't help the plot progress at all (because they want you to do that, to make the plot move). On the other hand... When my RP partner(s) or potential RP partner(s) assume(s) I'm brain-dead because I let them have the reins initially out of respect (I get nervous when offering up a plot, especially when the individual comes across as standoffish), and don't add to the plot building 'cause they're doin' a-okay (but I at least try to add to it, don't just ignore it and write the RP into a dead end).

When they write the RP into a dead end by either not having their character interact at all or not engage other characters, leaving the RP to sit in a stalemate until it just up and dies.

When they get mad that the RP died, but there was nowhere for the RP to go because they wouldn't work with you or anyone else when it came to the story.

When you apologize for being inactive and they guilt trip you (that's happened before and, yes, I let that RP die because of it)

When they won't talk to you OOC o-o NOTICE ME SENPAI, YOU HARLOT.

Main thing that really gets me going is when people suddenly make up random BS to help out their character or to escape a situation. Lets see, another one is when people care for nothing but smut rp's, like look, if ur a horny 12 year old and wanna fuck someone online go to the Cards against humanity Pyx server global chat, plenty of that there. One time I was invited by a friend to join a discord rp server and when I got in there it was literally just sex, you could meet a new character and within 5 irl minutes they would want to fuck yours. It's horribly immature and stupid, I mean I'm game for smut rp as long as our characters have built the relationship to do so. And finally, one last thing, is people who simply god mode. Look, if you don't want your character to take a hit, then hit the road and leave the damn rp. I get having your character block or dodge the attack WITH a well described reply but something like *As the individual swings at them they dodge the hit with a small chuckle* get the hell out.

it's not directly roleplay-related, but any sort of pushiness or invasion of boundaries/privacy.

then again, i'm kinda sensitive to it because of my experiences, and it's not a pet peeve, but it's definitely a flat 'no' from me lol

for a more directly related pet peeve, when i'm doing e v e r y t h i n g

When you finally find what seems like someone who you can RP your ideas with but then they were just trolling and you got your hopes up for no reason.

1x1s in group roleplays.
I don't mean just two characters interacting for a while. I mean these characters are sniffing each other's asses the entire time and barely paying attention to the other characters or plot points. They most likely have some unbelievably fast growing and perfect romance between the two that makes it even more boring to read.

The absolutely worst thing I know is when I write several paragraphs and the person I RP with respond with one or two lines. It doesn't bother me that much if it's a starter - then i'll simply tell them that i'm not up for this if they're gonna be like that, it's worse when a partner i've had over the course of a year suddenly replies with one line. Like come ON, i spent a good amount of time writing those paragraphs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back