Biggest Insecurity While RP-ing?

That I'm writing too much but not saying enough in it. I have a very specific, slow method of doing things that consists in acknowledging what has changed, ponder and react and only then, finally add something to it.

Not the most practical method in the book and it tends to make the pace slower, but I feel like it gives me leasure to engage in my favorite part of RP which is character development and dwelling at what the character is thinking and feeling about the situations they're living.

But then, I also have this nagging fear that I'm saying too much that's not relevant to the post itself, thus, writing too much and not saying enough.

This gets specially iffy with what I call intro posts, which is the first post of a thread or episode in the RP. It always feels like either I don't have enough to say (if it's the first post of the RP) or am obliged to pickup from where we left last episode (because a time skip happened and I wanna say what my character was up to in that time, specially if something groundbreaking happened by the end of the last one). Then I really feel like I'm pulling things out of my rear and the fear of typing too much, not saying enough only intensifies ^^'

I am aware that I'm bad with brevity and put a lot of details on things but I'm always worried whether this or that is too much detail or not. I think I write too much, but it's a hard habit to quit because I'm just that passionate... Rather a silly concern I think.
I feel the same way though Oof

Biggest Insecurity:
Writing with the opposite gender. I just don't like making male characters cause I'm afraid of portraying them incorrectly. I don't know why, but's its been my fear since I've started roleplaying years ago. Especially non-straight males or straight females. Why? Because personally I've never dated a guy and having a female character that does makes me feel odd, since it's not something I've experienced. I know love is the same no matter what it's just my personal fear i'm not making my character act correctly or something.

Making children. Like under the age of 13 makes me nervous, cause I never roleplayed a child and have no intention of doing so.

For some reason, I get really hesitant initiating anything that could even slightly hint at romantic tension or attraction unless I know without a doubt that the other person is okay with it. That's why I usually only ship with people I'm comfortable enough with, so I know they won't be like "ummm, what?" and think it's cringey or something. In addition to that, if I'm playing a male character, I almost never make them flirty because I don't want anyone to think I want an immediate ship. Playing a flirty character would be fun, but I hardly ever get the banter from it that I want because a lot of roleplayers (on other sites I've used) are super thirsty lol.
I also take way too long to write up decent replies, and I'm always worried that my partner is getting frustrated waiting for me to finish.
ETA: I also worry about the overall quality of my writing, particularly because my vocabulary is pretty trash for someone my age. I'm slowly working on learning more words and how to use them properly.

Last edited:
Biggest Insecurity:
Writing with the opposite gender. I just don't like making male characters cause I'm afraid of portraying them incorrectly. I don't know why, but's its been my fear since I've started roleplaying years ago. Especially non-straight males or straight females. Why? Because personally I've never dated a guy and having a female character that does makes me feel odd, since it's not something I've experienced. I know love is the same no matter what it's just my personal fear i'm not making my character act correctly or something.

Making children. Like under the age of 13 makes me nervous, cause I never roleplayed a child and have no intention of doing so.

Try seeking out and reading famous 1st person male narratives to help with that. That's what I did to help me write from a female perspective when I write women characters.

I don't really ever feel that insecure when I'm just participating in a Roleplay but when I am running one I can be an emotional wreck sometimes. I ran a Megaman Rp for about a year and a half on a different site and I was CONSTANTLY insecure about whether or not A) People were enjoying themselves B) Was I giving everybody enough things to keep them occupied C) Do I have time to keep maintaining a level of quality in this Roleplay I feel happy with? Eventually the answer to some of those internal Questions wasn't what I wanted and I had to end it. I enjoy running Roleplays but, I always feel nervous that I'm going to screw it up somehow.

Pacing! I always find myself wondering whether or not I should add more to my post (mainly at the end) or just leave things as is, and all my overthinking sometimes leads to extremely slow replies where my partners think I lost interest, when in reality I was just debating between a ton of scenarios/ideas.

This also applies to plotting. Not so much the pacing issue, but I may take a day or two overthinking ideas or what I prefer most, which understandably causes a few of my partners to grow impatient. ^^;

I feel like we all have something that we want to work on or change about our RP style or characters.

I'm personally always afraid I'm not moving the story along enough, or adding enough spice into the curry mix.
There's always a fine balance between dramatic scenes and unrealistic ones, but I never feel like I'm getting it right, even if the story is progressing along fine.

What are some of yours?

Sometimes i feel like i’m being too slow with the story progression, or that i’m boring my writing partner.

Pacing! I always find myself wondering whether or not I should add more to my post (mainly at the end) or just leave things as is, and all my overthinking sometimes leads to extremely slow replies where my partners think I lost interest, when in reality I was just debating between a ton of scenarios/ideas.

This also applies to plotting. Not so much the pacing issue, but I may take a day or two overthinking ideas or what I prefer most, which understandably causes a few of my partners to grow impatient. ^^;
I feel this on such a personal level, it's not even funny! ;w;

Sometimes I think I'm a bit too erratic and over-enthusiastic with writing.

I love writing, and I have a habit of writing SO SO much, and I often think most of what I write is probably most likely definitely boring. I don't want to scare people off but I just can't help myself.
With the erraticness, I always go with the flow when I write. The events happen in real-time in my head so I'm SO bad at following plans because of that.

I'm also always too lazy to proof-read, so I rely on my spell checker to catch any spelling mistakes but that doesn't catch when I mix words up which I do a lot without realising. I need to stop being lazy with proof-reading but I want to get my reply out ASAP so I can read the response when it's posted. ^^;;

Oh my god... This is like the perfect thread for me xD I have serious anxieties when RPing.

-- My main anxiety is when I am starting a brand new RP from scratch, and I'm the one posting the idea - I have such a fear that people will not understand or enjoy it even if I make it about as simple as possible.

I tend to write very long starter RPs, giving a lot of background information and descriptions of what is going on / who my character is / where they came from in a sense, and it always scares me that I may have *over shared* information and people will find it boring and not want to RP because they may be intimidated by the length of it, or because of whatever reasons they may see it as daunting -- Its the worst for me.

Other anxieties include: being afraid that I will not meet someone else's expectations in an RP. Messing up the time-line, or doing something to just screw the RP up in general. Or unintentionally pissing someone off / hurting them because I may have done something in the RP that they did not like.

The feeling of loss, i.e.: When you and an RPer have developed a rapport and then they drop off the face of the earth.. un-contactable and unresponsive. Then the incessant insecurities start gnawing at your psyche: Is my writing not up to par? Should I have responded differently? Did they meet a bigger and better RPer (heh)? Should i have kept the OOC messages to a minimum or not done it at all?

My biggest insecurity is people replying back. Which is happening right now to me. It makes me think I’m not doing something right when in reality it could be someone just got busy with life. So I’m always double checking my replies to make sure they’re zesty enough. Yay anxiety.

The feeling of loss, i.e.: When you and an RPer have developed a rapport and then they drop off the face of the earth.. un-contactable and unresponsive. Then the incessant insecurities start gnawing at your psyche: Is my writing not up to par? Should I have responded differently? Did they meet a bigger and better RPer (heh)? Should i have kept the OOC messages to a minimum or not done it at all?
Omg I know exactly where you’re coming from.

So I don't know if this is an anxiety so much as something that I second guess myself on. More so because people accuse me of it so much that it makes me paranoid really.

So I like world building. And a lot of people accuse me of doing too much. Of being like overbearing and too demanding when it comes to world building.

So now every time I try to flesh out my ideas I'm always like triple checking that everyone is on the same page and that they know these are just ideas and not like Words from On High.

1. That I am not being creative or interesting enough.
  2. That I am not moving a scene enough.
  3. That I am moving to quickly, even though I know nothing is going on and we've established what we need and now we really need to get to some action.
  4. That I am scaring or overwhelming my partner, because I guess I feel like I am an overwhelming person. Am I being to much? How do I know?
  5. That my character isn't what my partner wants or likes. I think this stems from the fact that I also don't know how to tell someone I don't like their character for this that or the other reason, and I feel like an ass but I don't say anything . . . and this can't be an isolated thing, like someone has to dislike what I put out too right?

So I don't know if this is an anxiety so much as something that I second guess myself on. More so because people accuse me of it so much that it makes me paranoid really.

So I like world building. And a lot of people accuse me of doing too much. Of being like overbearing and too demanding when it comes to world building.

So now every time I try to flesh out my ideas I'm always like triple checking that everyone is on the same page and that they know these are just ideas and not like Words from On High.
Oooo yeah this one for me too. I mean I am not really crazy into world building, but sometimes a partner is so quiet and all they do is agree with you. And it's like "wait are you okay with this, I feel like I'm the only one developing anything ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T GOT ANYTHING TO SAY?!?!?!?!"

But yeah sometimes you just get into a building mood and roll . . . and you don't mean to be intense but you just are.

I had a partner who was pretty intense, but she also kept a lot to herself and just went "HEY LOOK AT THE THING I MADE" and I guess what I liked a lot about how she handled it was it wasn't such a focus IN the rp. Like In-character the fact that she just developed 3 solar systems, some random race of monkey's tourists like, and that the moon in a mining colony, didn't effect anything in-character. Like if I wanted to read a wall of text I could, but if I didn't read it all it didn't mean I could RP our RP. Just meant that eventually one day I'll have to look and read up on something if I needed.

We did a very character driven roleplay, so world building was a side thing, and it meant we could share and develop but not really ruin the IC experience with our creative world building mess. And sometimes we weren't on the same page, we'd fix it, but at least IC it didn't alter anything so badly we fucked our story.

I'm not a native english speaker, so my insecurities always lie on whenever I'm explaining myself well enough. Description in general is my main weakness, and it really shows on my character sheets, with "personality" and "backstory" taking the biggest hits.

I really suck at writing anything sexual lmao. It's just so boring and awkward for me I prefer to fade and when people are like, 'no lets write the scene' they just get really awkward, tense writing from me and I'm like. I told you. Lol

I definitely feel like I'm most insecure about my persona being too harsh or too much for my potential partner. I enjoy writing and having a realistic persona that's easy to follow, however I do often overthink my role or feel as if I'm overzealous in waiting for a response. I know we all have responsibilities, so that kind of soothes my nerves.

I always was afraid I was bugging my partners? I have a ton of free time so I’d feel bad messaging them when I thought they were busy.

The ... uh ... everything.

You know that split second flood of unadulterated anxiety just before you hit the submit button? When you look back at what you wrote, and you just see blocks of trash? As in, trash trashily trashed the trashy trash of trashiness? Yeah. That.

(And then you hit submit, and it just gets worse until your partner calms you down with some good ol' validation.)

I feel like I write too much, but means very little. Like adding unnecessary details for an action.

Another word probably be starting with a massive, 7+ paragraph post and scaring my partners away because they feel like they have to match what I wrote. >-<

Man I have a couple.
Well, I do worry about those grammar Nazis, or where it bothers someone a lot when my grammar isn’t correct. :/ the English language is my first and people can’t beileve I can not do some things correctly. So, I worry about someone becoming confused or, should I say, extremely annoyed, on my reply.

Hmmmm, I also worry about if I offend someone that I didn’t mean to offend. This can be just my character doing something or me saying something OOC.

I am also a expressive talker/typer, so I feel like I scare people sometimes xD

I am honestly insecure about if my posts and characters are good enough.
Cannot tell you how many edits I make for both before I submit them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back