• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Beyond the Pale: OOC Thread

Main
Here
You only have to fill out the Problem section when you take the Thought. You can fill them all out first if you prefer, but the Solution you don’t have to write until the research time is complete. And yeah they would be like monologues or a stream of thought.

Time is sort of arbitrary - mostly it’s a way to make sure you actually play with some debuff before you get a more useful buff (which would end up being equivalent to multiple skill points). The different times should be taken as rough estimations as far as “in game” time

I heard that in a few different rp's lately, seems to be a thing again. I'll try to remember to tag you in my posts, just in case.

Silanon Silanon so this check can be sort of subjective. I would say that a Perception check would be you trying to see if you can see the key somewhere in an environment or if you can notice some particularly fine details about the key. Encyclopedia would be the one to use if you are trying to see if the key is of a certain kind, if it is used by certain industries or made by a certain company or etc. Inland Empire would be you imagining the key as like a living thing that could almost speak to you and reveal it's function, basically, seeing if they key gives you some sort of hunch to go off of. You can update the skill used and reroll if you meant these other but we can keep the Perception roll you have now if that's what you meant.

Tlon Tlon Both perception and Encyclopedia cover parts of what I'm interested in - mind if I keep the perception roll, but add a second roll to see if these are all keys like one would use for the doors here, or if some of them stick out and might be used for something different?

I think you can just combine the two in one Encyclopedia role - multiple rolls for an item makes sense for devices that change state, but a keyring is just there in your hand.

That makes sense - I added the new roll to the post, let's see if there's anything to be learned from it... thanks!

Dammit, somehow managed to forget again. Added the roll now, I'll get there eventually...

Sure! Just rp the way from the HQ to the place (it's a storefront on a main thoroughfare in the seedier part of town (Lower East Esperance)). I'll leave th ename of the place to you but I can handle it once you arrive to write for Diego

Together in one patrol car like Jerome and Rufus. Your character's personal vehicles are yours to decide on of course. In DE I think the only models mentioned are the Coupris Kineema and the Forty - the RCM use the Forty but Kim springs for his own Coupris Kineema. But folks are free to make their own new ones. I think as far as naming conventions, the language cultures shake out as I can see them (for reference):

Mundi: Fictional amalgam of Europe. Mesque is Spain, Occident is UK, Sur La Clef is France, Oranje is Netherlands, Gottwald is Germany(?) and etc
Graad: Russia/Eastern Europe
Katla: More eastern Europe? Norwegian?
Samara: Indonesia; Siigay or Maybe Safre itself are Thailand or Vietnam or something like that
Semenine: Africa, complete with colonization.
Iilmara: Middle East/India (I think) - this one is rarely mentioned in game
Seol: Eastern Asia - an amalgam of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean cultures

Caillou, the island that Revachol is on, does not have a clear real-world analog from what I can tell.

My god, the legendary task just has to have the lowest roll. How can you still end up super unlucky when you are relatively lucky. );

Last edited:
Agent Agent With high FYS you can basically accost the conspiracy theorist with Half-light for information. It might not go well if you fail of course, what with onlookers to possibly watch a police officer intimidate an innocent person, but it is an option.

Alright so Silanon Silanon if you want to make a post responding to Agent Agent I can make another post wrapping up the scene and hand out the Thoughts. Once that's done Dreamtique Dreamtique we can wrap up at the pet shop and then we can have all the characters come together for the meeting with Captain Svankmajer.

Which brings us to the end of the first part of the campaign and the beginning of the great middle. Since this adaptation of the Metric System is experimental I wanted to get ya'lls thoughts on some things:

-Dialogue as combat is perhaps the biggest reason I like this system (tied with the variety of skills) but I think we should set some guidelines. I think a player should only be allowed 1 or 2 dice checks in a single post. More than that gets kinda confusing imo, you kind of have to write a little awkwardly to make it make sense. Working the dice rolls into the rp will be easier if there are less things to "wait" on - but lmk what you think

-Dialogue as combat also means dialogue between players will be different. Once everyone is at Precinct 17 players will be able to rp with one another freely and originally I figured that we would have cycles where players end up back at the Precinct 17 (which would be like "freestyle rp" time) and then the investigation scenes (which would be dice roll heavy). This isn't to say that players cant rp with each other on investigations just there might be less of it there and more of it at the precinct. What do folks think about this - do you want more time to RP with another, do you think the cycles would work fine, or etc.?

-What do you think of Thoughts? At the moment Dreamtique Dreamtique is the only one that's really interacted with them so far, but looking for everyone's input. I like them instead of items, and I like the idea of giving the player a little space to refine their character.

-What would you like to see as a kind of "indicator" that all the "key" information has been gathered from a scene? Originally I was going to do it like I did with Dreamtique Dreamtique where I give out some checks as options, but I realized that that only really works because that was with one player. If there are multiple in one place does everyone get to try at those rolls? Or only one player per roll? Or is there another way of concluding an investigation scene that would make more sense?

-Dialogue as combat is perhaps the biggest reason I like this system (tied with the variety of skills) but I think we should set some guidelines. I think a player should only be allowed 1 or 2 dice checks in a single post. More than that gets kinda confusing imo, you kind of have to write a little awkwardly to make it make sense. Working the dice rolls into the rp will be easier if there are less things to "wait" on - but lmk what you think
Hm, I guess that's okay! If I understand you correctly besides keeping the post less confusing, you want to make sure the flow of the post is less awkward and also makes sense chronologically? Or?
-Dialogue as combat also means dialogue between players will be different. Once everyone is at Precinct 17 players will be able to rp with one another freely and originally I figured that we would have cycles where players end up back at the Precinct 17 (which would be like "freestyle rp" time) and then the investigation scenes (which would be dice roll heavy). This isn't to say that players cant rp with each other on investigations just there might be less of it there and more of it at the precinct. What do folks think about this - do you want more time to RP with another, do you think the cycles would work fine, or etc.?
I think the cycle works fine!
-What do you think of Thoughts? At the moment Dreamtique Dreamtique Dreamtique Dreamtique is the only one that's really interacted with them so far, but looking for everyone's input. I like them instead of items, and I like the idea of giving the player a little space to refine their character.
I think the thoughts cabinet is a great choice, it fits the theme of the system really well too since it just kinda shows the inner workings of the mind. I don't think items are necessary at all.

-What would you like to see as a kind of "indicator" that all the "key" information has been gathered from a scene? Originally I was going to do it like I did with Dreamtique Dreamtique Dreamtique Dreamtique where I give out some checks as options, but I realized that that only really works because that was with one player. If there are multiple in one place does everyone get to try at those rolls? Or only one player per roll? Or is there another way of concluding an investigation scene that would make more sense?
Maybe you can just notify that all key info has been collected, and allow the players to choose how they want to conclude their findings with the action and skill of their choice without providing options and just some hints?

I'll try to get a post up soonish, just have been busy the last few days. As for the things above: I think the limit of rolls per post is good, especially when we have three people who might want to do similar things. The cycles seem like a good idea, since being on the case kind of limits the options on what one can actually bring up.

Thoughts look great, I also like having the choice between multiple options.

As for the indicator: Maybe give us some kind of hint when most of the clues were gathered - either ic or ooc, whatever seems to work better from your point of view. That way, we know that we can move on (maybe every character gets one roll - either you give us different options, or we propose a skill that we think might be a good fit like dreamtique proposed). That way, we know we can move on, but get to finish whatever we're up to too if we think it might still be beneficial.

Ok, so we'll stick to the cycles and have the roll limit be 2. I'm realizing now that I'll have to rethink research time a little with the cycles. I'm working on a post to wrap up the Uptown scene and to bring things back to Precinct 17, should be ready soon

I've also updated the IC thread with an "Other" link at the top that goes to a thread where I condensed down all the skill descriptions into a format that should be easier to read, along with the rules as I have them so far

Ohyeah, speaking of this buff that I'll apparently get from completing the thought, though I don't have a skill point for a slot because I don't have any pre-bought slots due to not being supercop...
Does that mean there's no negatives involved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back