• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Beyond the Pale: OOC Thread

Main
Here
Though it's a bit subjective, I think we as players should be able to have a general idea of the difficulty of a skill check based on the description and justification that come along with it.

If the justification feels reasonable, the difficulty should be lowered, but if the justification is not as reasonable(or little justification is provided), the difficulty should be assigned as slightly higher than the default.

Last edited:
I'm confused, are you on the side of roll first with the difficulty I assigned revealed after the roll, or difficulty established first and then roll or decide against?

I'm confused, are you on the side of roll first with the difficulty I assigned revealed after the roll, or difficulty established first and then roll or decide against?
I am fine with both as well, actually. I usually roll before discussion mainly for saving time, and it's just that I would still roll despite the difficulty, meaning I am willing to take the risk(my morale is reasonably high, I wouldn't mind taking a hit for now :ghostxx: ).
What I meant was, I am a bit worried that too much time might be wasted on hashing out the difficulty of skill checks, so I usually just guess the difficulty with my description and justification.

Last edited:
We can discuss before we roll in this OOC thread right? I'll try that next skill check.

Last edited:
I just threw the dice before receiving the difficulty. It's just a passive check, right? You normally don't know the difficulty until it appears.

I might mind a little if I have to wait for your difficulty check for what should be a passive check? Is it passive? Do I make my own passive checks, or is it all you?

But if any active checks show up, I can hit them, one at a time, or something...

Oh and by the way can you add a link to the IC Thread here?

Last edited:
Hrmmm! Ok, so so let's clear this all up because I think I've been waffling around how to do it and the time has come to Decide. These will be the rules moving forward:

As Regards Active Checks: An active check will be whenever you want to engage in a certain skill in a concentrated manner in the scenario you are currently in. Say something like "I want to use Skill X to accomplish Y" and then roll. (If I feel the skill chosen doesn't quite fit I will say so and we can discuss what goes where). I will then reveal the difficulty and whether you succeeded/failed, as well any relevant flavor.

As Regards Health and Morale: Obvious Succeeds (boxcars) and Obvious Fails (snake eyes) will heal or hurt 1 point of either HP or Morale respectively. Further damage to HP or Morale may occur if a particular attempt fails by a large enough score difference or as the story may dictate - I reserve the authority to decide when that is.

As Regards Passive Checks: In the end these really don't matter altogether too much since they don't generate XP. They're also kind of up to our discretion to use - technically we could do things like "Hand-Eye Coordination Passive Trivial Succeed: I scratch my nose" "Logic Passive Trivial Succeed: I realize I'm a dollar short to buy a soda." forever and ever. Which I suppose you can still do as like a stylistic choice since it's all fluff. I personally will be using the Passive Checks as a way of providing hints as to what is going on and what skills should be applied, e.g., if your Drama goes off you may need to use Logic or Rhetoric soon, if your Half Light senses something it might be time to Physical Instrument it up, etc. This won't always be the case, will have to mix it up to keep it interesting from time to time, but will be the general trend.

Unless anyone has questions I say we go with this for a little while and see how it feels, then we can decide to change it later if we want.

ELECTROCHEMISTRY [Trivial: Success] Fine by me. Not that I needed your permission to say what I want.
REACTION SPEED [Easy: Success] Rude.
ELECTROCHEMISTRY Come on, man. Lighten up. Everything's better with alcohol or smokes.
ENDURANCE [Medium: Success] I will have to disagree with that.

Seems like the dice say it's more complicated than it looks...

Wasn't sure if we agreed on rolls first or if it was still up for debate - I agree that this is probably better for the game's flow, though. The rolls are up now!

Gah, you're probably gonna feel sick just by looking at it for too long.
That's what Endurance tells me, anyway.

Missed that you asked about who reported the body already - edited my post to show the "final checks" for the scene

Sorry, forgot to add the roll yesterday. One massive fail coming right up...

Silanon Silanon for those two checks in your post - I think the first check depends on whether you're trying to play off the trip and act like you're totally cool with falling on your face (Composure) or whether you're trying to deceive the onlookers into thinking it never happened at all (Drama). If you want to go with Drama go ahead and reroll, but if you want to stick with Composure then we can use the roll you have now.

The second, since you're talking to cops(the forensic techs), would be Esprit de Corps. I'll just use your skill in that with the roll you have for that attempt now.

Composure sounds more like what I have in mind - shrug it off and get going again - so I'll stick with the roll.

Thanks for the explanation, wasn't sure where one skill ends and the other begins. Now it's clear.

Dreamtique Dreamtique I figured you would make another post to sort of wrap up and then we could move forward, not sure if you were waiting on something from me or not

Dreamtique Dreamtique I figured you would make another post to sort of wrap up and then we could move forward, not sure if you were waiting on something from me or not
Oh, okay! I am a little unsure of how the thought cabinet works, but I just have to fill in both the problem and solution section as kind of a monologue right? What exactly does the 'research time' indicate in the rp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back