• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Beyond the Pale: OOC Thread

Main
Here
Everyone starts with 1 Thought Cabinet slot unlocked but other ones cost a skill point to unlock. The debuffs are the negative since you'll have to play with them for a while

When the research time is done the debuffs go away and are replaced by a buff, if that's what you mean.

Theoretically (and also in DE) there are some thoughts that can have buffs while researching that turn into debuffs when complete, so like the opposite of a regular Thought, but I dunno quite how I want to balance that sort of thing so we won't have those for now.

While we wait for Argall and Barker:

Does anyone know a clean way of inserting a spreadsheet into a post? I keep everyone's character sheets on a spreadsheet which makes it much easier to deal with than the lists we use for the character sheet right now. I found a way of converting the spreadsheet into a bbc code table, but the result is not that pretty, and is a pain to update manually:

Name:Rufus WinehouseExp:13

Intellect4RhetoricDramaLogicVisual CalculusConceptualization2Encyclopedia1
Psyche5SuggestionEmpathyVolitionAuthorityEsprit de CorpInland Empire1
Physique1Half-lightElectro-chemistryEndurancePhysical InstrumentPain ThresholdShivers
Motorics2ComposurePerceptionReaction SpeedHand-eye coordinationInterfacingSavoir Faire

If anyone knows a cleaner way of doing this I would be interested in hearing it. As it is, the 24 skills are kind of annoying to try and read in vertical form imo

Hm, I know nothing about bbc code so I don't have anything for now, I can see how the bbc table is not meant for frequent updates tho, it gets pretty messy. :/

Hmm, what do you think of the display I've got running?
It's imperfect on mobile and possibly other small screens, but at least you can color the text if you feel so inclined.

Agent Agent I just now realized that isn't an image but bbc code! I think that display would work well and much easier to update than the bbc table, but when I try to copy it over and test it the text comes up black on black background for some reason. I'll fiddle with it some more but I think it would be really great.

Oh yeah, I have the text colored white for that.

You should try the last time I displayed my skills in the Main.

For Silanon Silanon and Dreamtique Dreamtique I've taken @Agents bbc code and simplified it a little bit so that you can use if you want ! Don't feel like it's necessary, but I find it much easier to read the character sheet this way than the text list format, thanks Agent Agent .

Meet the allegorical everyman, John Doe, whose Signature Skill is knowing random trivia.

John Doe
HEALTH: 4/4
MORALE: 4/4

◆ ◆◆
INTELLECT

◆ ◆◆
PSYCHE

◆ ◆ ◆
PHYSIQUE

◆ ◆ ◆
MOTORICS
◇◇◇
LOGIC

◆◇◇
VOLITION

◆◇◇
ENDURANCE

◇◇◇
HAND/EYE COORDINATION
◆◇◇◇
ENCYCLOPEDIA

◇◇◇
INLAND EMPIRE

◇◇◇
PAIN THRESHOLD

◇◇◇
PERCEPTION
◇◇◇
RHETORIC

◇◇◇
EMPATHY

◇◇◇
PHYSICAL INSTRUMENT

◇◇◇
REACTION SPEED
◇◇◇
DRAMA

◇◇◇
AUTHORITY

◇◇◇
ELECTRO-
CHEMISTRY

◇◇◇
SAVOIR FAIRE
◇◇◇
CONCEPTUALIZATION

◇◇◇
ESPRIT
DE CORPS

◇◇◇
SHIVERS

◇◇◇
INTERFACING
◇◇◇
VISUAL
CALCULUS

◇◇◇
SUGGESTION

◇◇◇
HALF LIGHT

◇◇◇
COMPOSURE

EXPERIENCE: 0/5
SKILL POINTS:

Code:
[border=3px solid #757575][bg=#FFFFFF]
John Doe
HEALTH: 4/4
MORALE: 4/4

[row][column=span1]3
◆ ◆◆
INTELLECT

◆ ◆◆
PSYCHE

◆ ◆ ◆ 
PHYSIQUE

◆ ◆ ◆
MOTORICS
[/column]
[column=span1]3
◇◇◇
LOGIC

◆◇◇
VOLITION

◆◇◇
ENDURANCE

◇◇◇
HAND/EYE COORDINATION[/column]
[column=span1]4
◆◇◇◇
ENCYCLOPEDIA

◇◇◇
INLAND EMPIRE

◇◇◇
PAIN THRESHOLD

◇◇◇
PERCEPTION[/column]
[column=span1]3
◇◇◇
RHETORIC

◇◇◇
EMPATHY

◇◇◇
PHYSICAL INSTRUMENT

◇◇◇
REACTION SPEED[/column]
[column=span1]3
◇◇◇
DRAMA

◇◇◇
AUTHORITY

◇◇◇
ELECTRO-
CHEMISTRY

◇◇◇
SAVOIR FAIRE[/column]
[column=span1]3
◇◇◇
CONCEPTUALIZATION

◇◇◇
ESPRIT
DE CORPS

◇◇◇
SHIVERS

◇◇◇
INTERFACING[/column]
[column=span1]3
◇◇◇
VISUAL
CALCULUS

◇◇◇
SUGGESTION

◇◇◇
HALF LIGHT

◇◇◇
COMPOSURE[/column][/row]

EXPERIENCE: 0/5
SKILL POINTS:
[/bg][/border]

Oh yeah, the signature skill is supposed to increase the cap of every skill in the same category by 1.

Hey, just a short note - I've been busy the last few days, thus no posts - hopefully, I'll be able to egt something up the next day or two, I'll see. Sorry for teh delay, folks!

Silanon Silanon do you know when you'll be able to get a quick post up? If you could make a roll I can handle it from there (also, roll them bones Agent Agent ). Then we can call that first bit ended.

I'm working on the first part now when the characters meet and get the lowdown from Captain Svankmajer at Precinct 17. The captain will explain the three options for the next part of the investigation at which point the detectives will be free to RP with each other and decide which one they'll want to tackle first (or if they want to split up? I leave it up to ya'll).

Alrighty - not much of a post, but it should allow you to move things forward - thanks for the patience! I'll have to give the thoughts some more thought, will come back to those when time permits.

Cool! I posted the next bit to explain the situation and lead ya'll to the free-RP zone. Another thing I forgot to mention: considering that Lts. Argall and Barker both have relatively low Volition skill travel through the Pale may drain them of Morale and leave them depressed/suicidal. This means we will have to introduce drugs as items so that Lt. Winehouose might have some way of reviving them. I'm basically just going to import the drugs from Disco Elysium. Not the thoughts associated though. Maybe add a few more drugs that enhance certain skills in particular instead of an Attribute. I'm thinking each character is allowed 4 consumable skill slots where they can keep drugs (or maybe other items we feel like could be itneresting later).

Note: as the link notes each "drug" has 3 uses but Electro-Chemistry increases the charges, which means Lt. Barker gets 4 uses out of his drugs.

oh also not mentioned in the link above, the drugs for Healthare Nosaphed which restores 1 Hp and Droumamine which fully restores Health (and is illegal). Magnesium heals 1 Morale and Hypnogamma fully restores Morale (and is also illegal)

Last edited:
Tlon Tlon At the moment, my personal count is at 8xp, not 10 - I'll recheck later, though, in case I missed something.

Just a thought: Wouldn't it make things easier to not hand out xp, but simply grant skill points every now and then? Right now, the system kind of promotes doing as many easy tasks as possible, unless I got something wrong - someone who tries to go for the harder tasks will get less xp, and thus have less chance to successfully do future tasks compared to the others. Maybe that's fine, it just feels weird compared to other rps where groups usually advance at the same speed.

Hrmm, I can see an argument for either side. One on hand handing out XP in batches makes sure people stay on the same level, but doesn't it make sense that a character doing more and succeeding should receive more XP than a character who doesn't? Although I see what you're saying, just doing easy tasks is an easy way to "cheat" the system. It's a curious problem. I can also see the other side - one player can end up getting a bunch of XP even though they are just minimally participating and taking no risks at all. Perhaps both making harder tasks award more XP and awarding skill points at the end of an encounter can help even things out? Would be interested in hearing others opinions.

Also, I just realized, it would probably help to have a posting order for both the free-RP and the combat-RP! I think doing it by Reaction Speed skill makes sense; this would make the order:
  1. Silanon
  2. Agent
  3. Dreamtique

Users who are viewing this thread

Back