News BETA: HTML Is here! (Big Code Update) Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohhhh noooooooo

And a new saga of the elitist bullshit begins anew.

when the rest of the buttons come, even people who can't do html will be able to beautify their posts just as much

elitism would exist either way though, and already does, simmy

I did know bbcode very well. What's throwing me off is all the "a"s and "p"s when I don't want to do something to a whole paragraph. I just want to do it to a single line within said paragraph. I have no idea where the "a" comes from. It's not mentioned in any of the tutorials people have linked me to and yet its in all of Musician's examples. 

Styles too... they are very confusing. 

With bbcode it was just color=... now there are a lot of extra words that don't make sense. 

At the same time, I feel as though I'm spamming the thread with "how to use html" which feels wrong, but if I go make a new thread, I'm afraid everyone's going to be too busy here to help. 

The a stands for anchor, which is like a fancy term for a link. I'm telling you though, the video I showed you is gonna help you more than the tutorials.

But even then like, if you wanna do something fast mayaswell just stick with google docs and wait for the buttons. If you really apply yourself you can get a hold of HTML in like a week and overtime you'll get better with it. 

But a lot of people don't have time for that. It's a lot to learn and it's only gonna slow down your roleplays more than the initial update already has. In my opinion, this update is for people who already know how to use HTML and no one else. And even then, as someone who knows how to use it, I know it's just gonna take me longer to try and fix my threads with it, and I'm sure as hell not gonna use it every time I post in IC. So why bother.

I strongly recommend not bothering with it unless you're actually interested in coding. It's not as easy as people are making it seem. Is it an easier coding language? Yeah but I mean, it's like comparing riding a bike and riding a unicycle.

If the bike is bbcode and HTML is the unicycle, sure I bet it's a lot easier to ride a unicycle if you already know how to ride a bike but I'm betting you're not just gonna hop on the thing and start riding it across tightropes overnight. There's a reason more people can ride a bike than a unicycle.

You know what's also weird, pictures aren't showing up for me and it's happening to other people as well and this just happened when this new beta update thing happened.

You know what's also weird, pictures aren't showing up for me and it's happening to other people as well and this just happened when this new beta update thing happened.

it was happening before we even started testing it

it'll resolve itself on its own sometime soon 

I strongly recommend not bothering with it unless you're actually interested in coding.

I am interested in fixing my posts sooner rather than later. If learning html lets me do things faster, I'm going to put everything I have into learning html. 

I've already started a thread in my private workshop for it. 

Oh, so you're saying that if i act like a complete schmuck and yell at people for 'stealing muh bbcode, muh hardwork, sweat and tears', it's totes fine, right?

Okay! Brb, getting my blood sweat and tears essay ready.

I am interested in fixing my posts sooner rather than later. If learning html lets me do things faster, I'm going to put everything I have into learning html. 

I've already started a thread in my private workshop for it. 

More power to you then :3 Let me know if you need any help. I'm a little rusty because I'm more into software development than web design. Again though, my boy Bucky in that tutorial video is the Yoda of HTML. It really helps to have someone actually show you what's good with coding and prevent you from developing bad habits.

Oh, so you're saying that if i act like a complete schmuck and yell at people for 'stealing muh bbcode, muh hardwork, sweat and tears', it's totes fine, right?

simmy, im not even sure what youre talking about

I suck at coding tbh (゜Д゜;)

the buttons will stay and we will be releasing a lot more ^^

so don't worry, even people who dont know how to use html will be able to format their posts

Question: Will the ability to manually code remain once all of the buttons are released?

probably.

this is a test, but if we decide to keep it, it'll stay even after the buttons are released

Sim, sweetheart, Staff had an policy of NOT considering near-identical BBCode as plagiarism. You are literally spouting nonsense.

I WANT TO PLAY WITH HTML TOO!!! *sadface*

Anyway if anyone still confused about hex color code:

Color in computer is basically separated to 3: Red (R), Green (G), and Blue (B), and they are dictated in numeric value ranging from 0 to 255, with 0 meaning no color (closer to black) and 255 meaning opaque color (closer to white). Now every other color is just the combination of these three basic color (for example, yellow is the combination of red and green).

When we make a hex color code, we put a # symbol followed by 6 letters containing number 0-9 and letter A-F. For example:

<a style="color: #FFFFFF">This text is white</a>

This is called hex code because it's in hexadecimal numeric system. Long story short, each number contains value from 0 up to 16, which is represented by A (10) - F (15). Read wikipedia for further information.

A hex color code is separated to three parts, each containing 2 letters. The first part is Red, the second is Green, and the third is Blue, so

#     FF       FF        FF

Red    Green    Blue

This means this color code contains decimal value of color as

Red: 255

Green: 255

Blue: 255

Which denotes the color white, because opaque color of those three base colors combined becomes white.

This means to manipulate color, you just need to change the numbers in hex code. For example, to get the color gray, what you do is making white color closer to black, so you reduce all RGB value in uniform pattern.

#    99       99         99

Red   Green    Blue

<a style="color:#999999">This text is gray</a> -> this should result in a  gray text.

From here, you just need to change the colors all you want. Common colors:

#FF0000 = bright red

#00FF00 = bright green

#0000FF = bright blue

#FFFF00 = yellow (red + green)

#FF00FF = purple / magenta (red + blue)

#00FFFF = teal / cyan (green + blue)

#000000 = black

#FFFFFF = white

Anything else is just in-between. Just remember that the lower the numbers in every color, the darker the color become, while more values mean the color became lighter.

I mean, you could always just find a website that generates the hex code/color code for you. I most frequently use this one because it has an appealing website design and it will generate a color palette of colors that'll go well together.

As for the update, I'm probably just gonna wait until the buttons come out. I'm most likely never gonna use HTML for anything other than roleplaying, so there's no point in learning a whole new coding language. Though I am basically taking design classes this year, so maybe I'll end up learning it anyway.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Perhaps a little HTML copy/paste cheat sheet is in order over in tutorials? I've got an (unfinished) one floating around on my desktop.  : P

I WANT TO PLAY WITH HTML TOO!!! *sadface*

Anyway if anyone still confused about hex color code:

Color in computer is basically separated to 3: Red (R), Green (G), and Blue (B), and they are dictated in numeric value ranging from 0 to 255, with 0 meaning no color (closer to black) and 255 meaning opaque color (closer to white). Now every other color is just the combination of these three basic color (for example, yellow is the combination of red and green).

When we make a hex color code, we put a # symbol followed by 6 letters containing number 0-9 and letter A-F. For example:

<a style="color: #FFFFFF">This text is white</a>

This is called hex code because it's in hexadecimal numeric system. Long story short, each number contains value from 0 up to 16, which is represented by A (10) - F (15). Read wikipedia for further information.

A hex color code is separated to three parts, each containing 2 letters. The first part is Red, the second is Green, and the third is Blue, so

#     FF       FF        FF

Red    Green    Blue

This means this color code contains decimal value of color as

Red: 255

Green: 255

Blue: 255

Which denotes the color white, because opaque color of those three base colors combined becomes white.

This means to manipulate color, you just need to change the numbers in hex code. For example, to get the color gray, what you do is making white color closer to black, so you reduce all RGB value in uniform pattern.

#    99       99         99

Red   Green    Blue

<a style="color:#999999">This text is gray</a> -> this should result in a  gray text.

From here, you just need to change the colors all you want. Common colors:

#FF0000 = bright red

#00FF00 = bright green

#0000FF = bright blue

#FFFF00 = yellow (red + green)

#FF00FF = purple / magenta (red + blue)

#00FFFF = teal / cyan (green + blue)

#000000 = black

#FFFFFF = white

Anything else is just in-between. Just remember that the lower the numbers in every color, the darker the color become, while more values mean the color became lighter.

ahh, that's so cool! i always wondered how it worked, didn't know it was that simple :0

i'll remember that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread