Anime & Manga Best obscure anime and/or manga

Welcome to the NHK is really under the radar. It is a really great anime that touches a lot of deep themes like depression and romance, all through the eyes of a shut in (hikkikimori/NEET)

Hoshi no Samidare is one of my top and long term favorites that I don't really see people talk about. The characters pretty sarcastic about being in a battle manga, and it made me cry pretty hard the first few times I read it.

I've never talked to another person that's read Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service but I've found it in every library system I've visited. Comedic but also really gory and about helping the dead move on.

I also just personally enjoy Yozakura Quartet which is about kids trying to save their town without sacrificing anyone and figuring out what exactly happened with their parents.

Mangas:
Yuusha ga shinda
kushuku gakkou no alice
Iris zero
Hyulla's race
Criminale
Ball's friend
Yaoguai mingden
Yuragi no yuuna-san

Manga (since that's most of the obscurity I come across):
V.B. Rose--Great romance and characters that you can't help but love even if they are a little crazy. This is by far one of my favorite manga of all time. It stole my heart at first with pretty dresses, and then the story itself drew me in.
Chibi Vampire--I mostly just like this one for the humor, but the idea is sweet, too. The anime ended awkwardly, but this is pretty good so far.

Anime:
Gosick--OMG I LOVE THIS ANIME. Like, seriously, if I could get all my friends to watch anime, I'd start them off with this. It's the type of anime that even non-anime fans could like, and I LOVE IT! Mystery, interesting characters, ghost stories... What more could you want? Okay, I'll stop fangirling.
Eureka Seven--I'm not one for mecha anime, but the way this one pulls it off is definitely worth some recognition. There's a great storyline, a plethora of characters to love (with some wacky names), not to mention a wrenching love story to boot. I'm not done with it yet, but I know that it's sooooo good.
K (K Project)--Unsure if this is too obscure, as I've come across a few people who like it, but nonetheless I'll mention it. I like things that confuse me and give me some sort of plot twist somewhere. And this delivered. That's all I'll say for now.

Mushishi = Really peaceful and gorgeous music.
xxxHolic = Really mysterious and thought provoking at times.
Neo Ranga = Interesting sort of Godzilla premise except with islanders and gods
Wolf's Rain = Would you like to weep now?

Naruto is the most obscure anime I've ever seen.

Just kidding! I don't watch too much that doesn't have an English title, like Attack on Titan. I've only recently started getting into semi obscure anime. I watched School Days a while ago, and I've very recently watched Parasyte, though I'm not sure how obscure those two are, I highly doubt very much :(

I don't think it's that obscure, but Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei was great. Very dark, weird humour and kinda artsy visuals. The openings were really good as well (but I can't find the first OP anywhere outside of episodes QwQ)

Hey guys, have you ever read the nightmare inspector?!!!! It's the most amazing think I've ever read!!!

I think I post about these shows every time I get the chance to but hey, if one person checks them out because of it then mission accomplished.

Future Boy Conan, a 70s TV anime directed by none other than Hayao Miyazaki. Despite that, I never see people talking about this show, probably because of its age and the fact that it's never been licensed in English. A lovely post-apocalyptic tale that really does feel to me like a Ghibli movie if it was a full length TV series despite predating Ghibli as a studio. Of course since it's a TV anime it's not quite as gorgeous but there's some lovely background work and the character designs are fun in that 70s anime way.

and Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still, a hugely ambitious OVA from the 90s with an amazing retro-futuristic style. This show used to be licensed but I don't think it is anymore... I'm pretty sure it's not streaming legally, at least. It's got giant robots, superheroes, and melodrama! I love it and I need to rewatch it like, yesterday.

Those aren't the most obscure things I've seen but they're two of my all time favorite animated series.

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru : A feel train anime that I don't think is deserving enough recognition. At least, I don't know anyone but me that watched it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back