Experiences Best DnD experiences?

Lunar

now i know how joan of arc felt
Mine was when our dragonborn cleaved a man in half, and convinved everyone it was a suicide. He also left a suicide note that was overly sarcastic. It was great :cheshiregrin:

i was playing a multiclass Assassin/Illusionist whose highest Attributes were her intelligence followed by her charisma with dexterity being third place. i generally talked my way out of problems because Assassins had amazing social skills.

there was a village being plagued by bandits, and there was a hungry dragon in need of food the villagers were afraid of.

i got to help by being the intermediary or middle girl in helping convince the dragon to become the guardian of the village in exchange for a fair share of the livestock,

essentially, the young night fey repelled the bandits by having the dragon protect the village in exchange for a share of the livestock. receiving a share of the villages yearly profits any time she returned, for being so brilliant and persuasive.

she used the coin from that taxation to found a trade city that earned quite a bit of money, allowing her to possess the equipment she needed to survive, despite being a small framed and sickly extrovert

I normally DM, but I've played a few games that were pretty good (for me ;D).

When I was young and my party just a little more inexperience than me we were tasked to save a princ(ess? I forget) in a 2ad edition game held by my father. They were kept in a dungeon by some mysterious force, only tracked down with the help of powerful magic. Our party was ~5th level, with me playing a 6th level mage that I've kept alive for over a year out of character (something that cost him levels since everyone else died too much...).
After exploring a very small dungeon (it was only and entrance hall and a looping hallway that was trapped) we came into a room with a giant hydra.
My party did not notice the obvious environmental advantages we could (and should) have used, but I'm equally at fault since I was too focused on what I should do and did not want to come off as more rude than I was at the time. They charged right at it with me sprinkling it with magical attacks. They did essentially nothing since it could regenerate, and I could do little to harm the whole of the creature in the position I was in.
We tried to retreat, but there were metal bars behind use keeping us in. Our fighters failed to bend bars (now that I think of it my mage made his 1% chance later on in a different adventure, always awesome) and our fate looked doom since the heads of the hydra began to charge at the small pocket we were all clumped in.
In a show of desperation my mage grabbed his spell book from his bag with what little time we had (had to make a check) and cast lightning bolt from it. Being clustered together it actually hurt all the heads and took hp off the whole of it's form, scaring the hydra.
But as it was trying to stick it's head out my character dropped his book to the ground then grabbed the traveler's spell book on his waist, given as a gift from his master, and cast lightning bolt out of that. Killing the beast.
It was a nice night, the best part being that my character had a master spell book he could copy back lightning bolt to his other books, making the cost of using them only about 230gp in paper and materials which was easily covered by what we earned.

I once played a one off that had the players play epic level characters that were tasked by some godhood hunting maniac to search for pieces of a crown that'd grant him godhood.
I decided to try to make a character that just not die, and went to the depths of d&d wiki to find some op homebrew classes to make it happen without to much effort. I ended up making a control mage/Immortalist with the DM's permission, and pretty much decked out his getup to be immune to as much as possible.

The way we started the game was after the (quick) conquest of a kingdom, with my character kicking the king out and using a bit of magic mixed with the fact he just took the throne he commanded everyone in the room but the party to find him a glass of fine wine as he laid back on the throne.

The game quickly turned into a fetch quest, with nearly every part of the quest being dominated by my character's words (since I was, and still am mostly, the only person at my table with any sense...) or utility magic. But everyone was having fun since I only stepped in when things went bad.

As we collected the pieces of this crown my character just... kept them for himself, telling the quest giver that he was waiting to collect them all, but really was mostly interested in their +10 to a base stat increase.
Half-way through we collect the last piece of the crown (knowing the quest giver had one on him) and began asking what was next, and were told that we were supposed to go into a gladiatorial arena. My character won his way to the finals against the quest giver.

Though it took every single spell slot and spell-like ability he had that was above level 3 my character won, breaking through the 60ish spell resistance the quest giver had at great expense, but it felt great.

My character had all the pieces of the crown and had won the gladiatorial arena fight, so he got to ascend to a lesser rank god. Overall, with the stuff I left out as well, it was a good night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back