• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

CryoLilly

Witch in the Ice
"Welcome to Canter. Now, I know what you're thinking, you're wondering to yourself what the hell we're doing here in this shitty little port city smack in the middle of nothing and nowhere on the east coast of Canada." The words come with a disinterested sneer from a bored and languid figure at the other end of a long table. His dark eyes visible, tangibly burning into you despite the room being lit only by the moonlight drifting in from the windows. He is dangerous and you know that in any other context you would rightly be afraid but you dutifully remain, listening to his drawling, vaguely irritated tone. "Frankly it's far above your paygrade. However this little town blossomed into a city proper practically overnight, and another hold on the import and export of goods in North America was bound to be a place of contention, not to mention that Canter is only now starting to be significant enough to warrant attention. Everyone wants to establish themselves here, and I happen to be here to stop them. Canter is already ours as far as I'm concerned. And if anybody gets in our way, if any of the local factions get uppity or snippy with us," He pauses at this and smiles, sharp teeth glinting as he finally sounds pleased about something, "Well, then we get to break them."

Meetings are happening all across the cities as powerful factions finally turn attention and resources towards the city of Canter. With a population only around 100,000 people, it has thus far scraped below notice aside from a few minor factional matters, and small forays and establishments. Few, thus far, have considered sinking resources into a city such as this, not when it didn't seem to offer much value to them. It isn't clear who the first to take interest in Canter was, but the moment rumors circulated, all the major players pounced. With little care to the city or its inhabitants, most are invested more so in keeping the city away from competitors than securing it for themselves.

But you're not among these meetings, perhaps you're the next in the chain, or the next after that, or unaware entirely that unfamiliar forces are turning their gazes towards your home. Wherever you find yourself on the constructed hierarchy, the structure of your world is changing in ways out of your control. Perhaps you thought that the magic, of whatever nature, which courses through your veins would give you power, but you may finally be realizing that it simply leaves you powerless in new ways.

-----------------------------

Welcome to Behind the Veil. This is an Urban Fantasy ground level campaign set in a fictional Canadian city by the name of Canter. The game takes inspiration from a variety of sources, including but not limited to Vampire and Changeling, The Magnus Archives, (Cyber)punk themes, and Urban fantasy tropes more generally. While not explicitly a horror game it will certainly take some of those elements into account alongside elements of intrigue and noir fiction. At least that is the hope. If that interests you, do read on.

The nature of the world is magical, in case that wasn't obvious. Featuring your typical urban fantasy flair of witches, mages, alchemists, vampires, and more. The system of magic is quite soft and while there aren't particular rules, we do want to keep things from feeling too strong or ground breaking. As the name suggests, the magical world is veiled from typical humans in ways similar to the masquerade. Some mages might be helping that along, but for the most part it's up to people privy to that secret knowledge to avoid letting it leak, doing so tends to draw the ire of far more powerful beings.

Our main focus will be on characters relatively low on the chain of command, while perhaps a few can be getting up there, providing fun and interesting friction with other players less pleased with authority, practically none of the true elite of the world care about Canter. Those leading operations here are upper-middle management, but to the people of Canter, they are far too powerful to contest directly. That is where the Noir and --punk themes of the game show themselves, the players working around forces they can't possibly face head on.

Ultimately, the world here is built by us collaboratively, there is a lore thread where any players can post and a discord where we can discuss elements we want to include or not. I do frankly expect some element of work being put into the worldbuilding by everyone involved, but I understand different people engage in different places. Some elements were already built in the first phase of this thing, we have a soft magic system more based around belief and intent than anything else. Humans who properly know and believe in magic can cast in ways typically unique to them, based on the way they internalize how magic ought to work, this can be influenced by media, teachers, or just life experiences, and allows characters to have magic tailored to their personality. The only key piece is that magic comes at a cost to the person casting, whether that manifests through strict parameters, using components/sacrifices, or physical exhaustion. Other elements have yet to be fully fleshed out, the factions at play are loosely defined but have yet to truly be locked down, ideas are more than welcome.

If any of that interests you, go ahead and post below or shoot me a PM, especially if you have any ideas you'd like to explore in a space like this, and feel free to poke around the lore, character, and just starting IC threads:

Last edited:
Just gonna poke in here and see if anybody else might be interested, very open to ideas. Though I know the pace might be a tad bit slow it's not dead? XD

is there an ooc? I'm interested and would like to run some ideas through before making a character lol

I... keep forgetting to make an OOC thread. But there is now, and you're welcome to PM me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back