• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Nation Building BeckonCall's Fantasy Nation-building RPG thread

Beckoncall

World-Weaver and servant to the most-holy PC
Supporter
PART ONE:

To people who are SERIOUS about being PLAYERS in part of this game please PM me, (or post here if you're fine with sharing):

1) What race or races would you be interested in playing? What are your reasons for these choices? What might they bring to the colony that is an advantage?

A non-definitive list so far is:
Humans (of a diverse or specific culture type)
Elves (wood or high)
Dwarves
Halflings
Nomads (of a particular racial subgroup)
Hivers (insect-humanoids often feared or loathed in the old world)
Beast-men (Minotaurs or more civilized orcs)
Lizardmen (Semi-Amphibious reptile humanoids, with possible minorities of dragon or other exotic heritage)
Gnomes
Fox Folk
Really any race concept is up for discussion as long as it's not too OP.

Other races are possible, but must be hashed out with the GM to assure familiarity and balance suitable for the game world.

2) What kind of character is your leader? What class or classes do you see them being? This world has both clerical and arcane magics -- most character archetypes should be acceptable. Besides race and class share a little bit about them, maybe a potential hook or two about their past, special perks or weaknesses they might have... anything else that might give your character color. Suggestions include why the character wants to take a likely one-way trip from the known world to start a colony, and how your character views the (somewhat oppressive, but arguably effective peace-keeping) of the Underlords of Muurdan (more on them later, just imagine a powerful empire that keeps the trains running on time but is more interested in keeping the powerful in their place and maintaining the status quo... and boy are they harsh on people who get out of line.)

3) Are you interested in play by post, RPing in real-time chat, or both? Presently I am thinking mostly PbP, but if more than one player can be in chat at a time, certain debates, political events, or even adventure/exploration can happen in real time... depending on interest and capacity to line up at the same time. Alternatively, Single players might have 1 on 1 walkthroughs of "town" where they examine/address things happening in the community.

4) What about this campaign peaked your interest? So I can be sure to "give them what they want", what aspects of RPing do you most enjoy? Diplomacy? Exploration? Getting Loot? Hack and Slash? Intrigue? Stealth? Mystery? Whatever attracts you the most -- If there are common favored themes I will be sure to put more thought into those aspects. Any of the above may be a part, though needn't necessarily be.

5) PM (or Post) me your age and a little about yourself, I'll share right back to "meet you." Makes sense when making friends, yes? Don't worry about judgement on the basis of age -- maturity, interest, and consistency are are the mainstays of any game I find.

After the first part is completed and suitability to participate as well as the core concept of the faction is hashed out (in PM or in the forums) you will be called upon to complete part 2.

PART TWO: (where you will post the agreed upon characteristics and details negotiated between the DM from your original ideas)

1) Your character: Name, class/archetype, preferred weapons and talents, perks and drawbacks as you perceive them. A lot of this has been related in either PM or in the posts above, but having it central and properly elucidated will be great here. What you look like, what you do, basically whatever is pertinent about the leader.

2) Include whatever pertinent info about your faction... what is your culture like, anything the GM and other players may or may not know about your beliefs, religion, habits, biases (especially how you feel towards the old world empire) In as much detail as you care to. If you leave things ambiguous I will just have your settlers bring their own habits and beliefs with them which will present themselves through wants and NPC interaction. Your culture may be well formed or develop over your involvement in the game, but ways and beliefs are an important aspect of the game so you must have some in mind.

3) Goals and Ambitions -- what does your leader hope to accomplish in the new world? What plans or ideas do they have so far relating to the colony?

4) Faction Demographics -- This is where you spent your points establishing how many and of what type of people you are bringing. At the end of part one when your character and race choices are approved, you will be given an amount of MANPOWER, reflecting how well financed your initial expedition to the new world is. Humans and/or factions that are highly sympathetic to the dominant power in the Old World (The Underlords of Muurdaan) may get material advantages at the start, but obligations, loyalty and mistrust stemming from those ties are a definite counter-balance to any such boosts. The typical player has 200 manpower to start with, and will have a range of options with how to spend it based on the type of race and culture they have chosen. Typically the more powerful or exotic a being or worker is, the more manpower they cost. Exotic players can expect to be small minorities in the colony (at least at first) and may have all sorts of challenges ranging from language barriers to old world prejudice. Having more followers gives you more political clout in the colony, but some players may decide that having relatively fewer members, but filling vital niches in the community, will be a better way to go. CHOOSE WISELY!

5) Each leader at the start of the game receives a special item: A Jewel of Divinity. You must choose a gem of Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Nature, Bone, Blood, or Stars -- What the stones do is uncertain, but experimenting with them can unlock their secrets. So far it has been determined that the power of the stones can be spent to further a specific intent by a leader or mage, used to enchant a weapon/armor/item, or to empower a building or structure with magical properties.

FINAL NOTE: The inclusion of additional players is subject to how fast (or slow) the game is moving and whether adding them is best for the game. If other GMs join me in helping to move the game forward it may enable the game to carry more players, or for existing ones to move faster.

IF INTERESTED IN BECOMING A GM (add'l GMs may or may not be a thing) PM me and we'll talk about it, probably long and serious-like. We'd have to be really compatible, you'd have to be able to mesh your vision of the game you'd like to run in the context of the existing world (which is pretty broad and nebulous, actually) -- and you'd have to gel well with the other players. It's something I'd consider if there were interested parties.

Last edited:
Hello! So I found myself desiring a story where I could build up a group of people and lead them to greater things than where they started, and frankly your story is hitting all the things I'd like in a campaign. Detailed, committed, enthusiastic, right up my alley this is. And while I am more than willing to read through the posts to catch myself up with the story and fully immerse myself in the rules, I figured I should ask if you're willing to accept another player first before I put in all that effort.

So would I be allowed to join, or should I look for another story? I'd understand if you can't, it looks like you have quite a lot of folks to deal with as is.

Part One-The Zan

WIP(Sorry, started posting then got busy.)

Don't worry! Considering we have two or three new players on deck -- it may be a bit before we get an additional race into the game. Please submit a COMPLETE part one of application to me in PM. The Zan look really cool, if you don't mind having your faction "on deck" to join at a later time, I'm excited to flesh them out with you.

1) What race or races would you be interested in playing? What are your reasons for these choices? What might they bring to the colony that is an advantage?

I am interested in playing as a race called the Ashmen. The reason I want to play as them is because for one, they are derived mostly from my own imagination with some physical attributes such as cracked grey (“rocky”) skin which is derived from the stone men from Game of Thrones. Also, their societal and warrior code takes from Germanic tribes as well as the middle age vikings. Other than that, their somewhat barbaric society and alignments with outside races is completely original. Also, I have never really seen the Ashmen or any other similar race in a roleplay, making them unique to me as well as the players that surround me. The Ashmen bring a fighting force to be reckoned with, especially due to the enchantments and fortunes brought to them by the elders and spirits. They also bring skilled forgers who create seemingly crude yet effective weapons and tools.

2) What kind of character is your leader? What class or classes do you see them being? This world has both clerical and arcane magics -- most character archetypes should be acceptable. Besides race and class share a little bit about them, maybe a potential hook or two about their past, special perks or weaknesses they might have... anything else that might give your character color. Suggestions include why the character wants to take a likely one-way trip from the known world to start a colony, and how your character views the (somewhat oppressive, but arguably effective peace-keeping) of the Underlords of Muurdan (more on them later, just imagine a powerful empire that keeps the trains running on time but is more interested in keeping the powerful in their place and maintaining the status quo... and boy are they harsh on people who get out of line.)

Kusiknüt (koo-see-noot) is a pretty much the unannounced leader of the Ashmen as they have no official single leader, rather a council of elders. But due to respect and his influence, his people willingly follow and listen to him and his ideas. He does not rule through intimidation and absolute authority to get his way. Although he is a traditionalist and nationalist, like all Ashmen, he still seeks to change his people, if only to preserve the traditions he holds dear. Meaning that although he respects and upholds his culture, he believes that the Ashmen will only be able to survive and compete in society if they advance, not religiously or in terms of society, but more so in technology and the willingness to learn from and cooperate with others against common enemies and for common goals. Although from a technologically backwards society, he recognizes the influence that things such as gunpowder and clockworking will have on warfare and how they will become the future, not only of the battlefield but also of society. Kusiknüt is kind and understanding to his people and every other race that surrounds him (assuming they respect his people's culture), unless he has a reason to kill. A gentle giant. On the battlefield, he is merciless to those who oppose him, although noble to non combatants. Kusiknüt is a Berserker type class in battle who wields a very traditional “lava stone” (obsidian) spiked club that is enchanted with the strength of the spirits (the obsidian is no longer brittle and the wood will not splinter like an average central native american club). His club, which has been passed down from generations and contains the spirits of his ancestors has also been enchanted with the creator’s fire. Before and after battle he speaks to his ancestors through his club. In battle he can cast immense amounts of heat on command (the ashmen are very heat resistant due to their volcanic ), enough to make the average warrior’s armor malleable, but not enough to render the strongly crafted weapons of the Ashmen useless. Kusiknüt earned his respect through his honor and valour in battle, and never losing one. Legend has it that during one of his first battles, an enemy force had pushed the warriors out of the village, accidentally leaving the elders and young children behind in the elder's hut. Demoralized and ultimately beaten, most of the soldiers thought it was too late to go back and hopelessly face their invaders. Determined to save his helpless kin, Kusiknüt ran in with his club and came out with the head of the commander of the invading army. For that and his known honor and chivalry in battle he had earned the people’s respect forever, for most of the people he saved are still alive. His main strength besides his influence and immense physical strength is his club. His main weakness would be that he is nothing but a really strong guy without his enchanted club. He pretty much hates the Muurdan. Not the people, but the government, its leaders and its policies. The Muurdan are invasive to the culture and traditions of the Ashmen.

3) Are you interested in play by post, RPing in real-time chat, or both? Presently I am thinking mostly PbP, but if more than one player can be in chat at a time, certain debates, political events, or even adventure/exploration can happen in real time... depending on interest and capacity to line up at the same time. Alternatively, Single players might have 1 on 1 walkthroughs of "town" where they examine/address things happening in the community.

I am more used to and experienced with PbP but I am totally down to try out a real time chat, so i’m fine with either.

4) What about this campaign peaked your interest? So I can be sure to "give them what they want", what aspects of RPing do you most enjoy? Diplomacy? Exploration? Getting Loot? Hack and Slash? Intrigue? Stealth? Mystery? Whatever attracts you the most -- If there are common favored themes I will be sure to put more thought into those aspects. Any of the above may be a part, though needn't necessarily be.

The cooperative frontier style of this rp and the fantasy aspects of it that aren't way too over the top really caught my eye. I tend to enjoy Diplomacy and interactions with other people within the rp, Hack and Slash and I think some Stealth never hurts.

5) PM (or Post) me your age and a little about yourself, I'll share right back to "meet you." Makes sense when making friends, yes? Don't worry about judgement on the basis of age -- maturity, interest, and consistency are are the mainstays of any game I find.
(I dont have permissions to start a pm because I only have 3 posts on this account so yeah) I am 15, nearly 16 going into Junior year of High School. I play a lot of video games (The Elder Scrolls being one of my favorite series) and read a lot of books, just finished the Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien, edited by his son Christopher Tolkien.

Last edited:
This tells much about a faction, but less about a player. Will read, thank you.
Well I guess I didn't do a great job of helping him fill it out correctly then, lol :p

It is in his words and the such however so there's that.

1) Ultimately, the story of my faction will be the story of two families. One family will be human. Their culture and history will be heavily influenced by the Muslim Moorish and Berber cultures of North Africa. The second family will be high elves. They will be built on the Tolkienesque archetype of elf. The two families will have produced a child, a halfling.

2) The de facto role leader of the two families will be a human, Atiq Affan al-Turbansk.

Preliminary CS

Name: Atiq Affan al-Turbansk

hffK4WafRhpgmcpKLJXeNs0GWkLsWwnMhlK5FiS10OHw83xoHz2oPrBtlndzSnSOJgnz4PuapmoodBRjVlSyzt3_ATUQrn4jfOe327vCKJ1rO_-kStUNFKLiTZJWG_uJtbUlX0hr

Race: Human
Class: Paladin

Equipment: Atiq wears the traditional armor of Turbansk, polished steel lamellar armor on top of breathable chainmail with a pointed helmet. This gear allows him quick movement, but strong protection from attack. Atiq is skilled in close combat with his agile scimitar, but prefers to wield a heavy halberd. He is surprisingly quick with the polearm.

Personality and skills:

Strengths
  • Hunter and sportsman (general outdoorsmanship and tracking)
  • Skilled rider (horse)
  • Experienced administrator and judge
  • Poetry and oratory
  • Talented merchant
  • Rudimentary clerical/divine magic

Weaknesses
  • Rigid, uncompromising, meticulous
  • Elderly (tires quicker than he’d like to admit)
  • Accustomed to luxury
  • Impatient, proud
Background: Atiq is the patriarch of House al-Turbansk. He leads the small group of petty nobles who fled to the Lost Continent together. Atiq assumed leadership of the group upon the death of his counterpart, Prince Merinath, the elven patriarch of the House Anaedael. In the events leading up to their escape from Muurdaan, Atiq also lost his wife and only son. The history of House al-Turbansk and House Anaedael is long and deep. It is only fitting the two families would arrive together in a new world. Their fates ever connected.

Atiq is an old paladin concerned with earthly justice and the heavenly order of all things. Ever an honorable man, his virtues played a central role in the conflict that resulted in his family fleeing Muurdaan. For decades, Atiq served the emperor as faithful satrap of a burgeoning province in a distant corner of the Muurdaan Empire. Ultimately, his honor compelled him to rise against the empire when his liege arbitrarily suspended habeas corpus in the trial of Sanyir Anaedael, youngest son of Prince Merinath and dispatched an army to seize all Anaedael family lands when they objected. Atiq had a great love for his friend Merinath and cares deeply for his friend’s widow and children. In fact, Atiq’s granddaughter is married to Merinath’s oldest son.

Atiq cares greatly for his entire family and would do almost anything, besides evil, in order to protect them. He is essentially motivated to protect them from any threats the empire may send after them but he is also deeply ashamed of the current state of his family. He is a proud man to be sure but wanted to leave his family with a comfortable, stable future.

3) In my opinion, PbP is most feasible. When there is a battle or some diplomatic meeting, the relevant players can schedule a time to jump on Discord.

4) I’m excited for the prospect of a compelling plot and interaction between diverse characters. The setting intrigues me and I don’t have much experience outside of traditional nanation-buildingPGs.

5) 24

Q: In truth, I would like to roleplay both families and make character sheets for all of them. I envision 6 unique characters. Is that acceptable?

Other characters:

Fatima al-Turbansk, daughter of Atiq, mother of Asma

0F7qKaLj0r4COHOECBgnri_6JqJHptQ_6PRDfbvaCHZEeZRx3MTIaa-s8hOtRazUqplqUuSyG5GRY9XTrwXLwkjHWNV4A3Pp3VpCQhgKLN34KluEnSOxfCRa_zZDfP2yDm2U-Aqv

Asma al-Turbansk, daughter of Fatima, wife of Joreus

XC5NcgKWGeqLVUYhqrTA5Em_NrzEXadckFDAWs4apZTSZiL3h8Bc_ipvgTZ9Lg6_je5W0DpuxRMcQn-La1rqCrAwILULh3G9c1G6j5vBYvr19aVCsTQUdERmM-82qOAzkAwYtWHN

Mirnil Anaedael, widow of Merinath, mother of Joreus and Sanyir

74xixQLZdcPZ9F1kZqQ1WkM7k9Lb1OOmwSmCoxZydwP5qjI_2r5oyA27wG0cj7dKaPCj7ZO2n7nxhmxLzcTWuSbytTzccjUUHk7e60v3602lnIr71wouJgNojx-tYe4ufZ45x2Py

Joreus Anaedael, son of Mirnil, brother of Sanyir, husband of Asma

5IVTOofh-Y7VubI6xEEkmSAYb_sNhTDgo79hDsIhuIhw2lja4zQnBPdS79Ue-MI9BqbGu9_BDJ6RKZfQJmwkfjvQeWkVS41rmOLZFFNUJO_eFNH5kLA41cWuxnJW_3zKa9xWEXG1

Sanyir Anaedael, son of Mirnil, brother of Joreus

09DY5ecJPPR50hI4ELNVQ_XP9qzKsoiRsRYp7iTrvuZ1U1SqN5WeIVjiUvEqThQDvDNNY95aXCEwi3gf4yXx9vP0YITZ91P8E8ywakzrilQ5yCknnQlIVZ6p5-cFMNwENtFRCuNx

Last edited:
would love to talk to you on discord or back and forth on PM to come to a shared vision about what your troops/workers list is going to look like...

What kind of warriors do you envision having? What are your workers like?

I am thinking so you can have all your characters, a higher tier troop choice called Shayk(a) that are nobles of your faction -- each one could have one or two special trades or talents... unless you imagined some or all of your secondary characters just being personalities and not having fighting/working/advisory skills.

Let me know when you have time to chat or back and forth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back