• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings BeckonCall's existing concept revival thread! (any games we want to try to bring back?)

Beckoncall

World-Weaver and servant to the most-holy PC
Supporter
Hello!

I'm BeckonCall and I've been away for a while. It was a recent thought of mine to see if I could reboot one of the quality group RPs I've run before -- shopping out all the ideas here and seeing who has interest in what. My last game (Age of Cats) fizzled out prematurely and sadly and I'm just hoping to get back on the horse, with that or another concept. What follows below are many of the games I've run on RPN and their descriptions, and if people are inclined, please weigh in on if any of them interest you: If concepts get interest I will provide more background detail and a more attractive interest check, likely recovered from old posts.

Here are the games I would like to give another try:

Evils of the Red Cathexus -- This is an evil campaign where the players are body-snatching treasures or creatures. There will be little to no exploration on the surface of the fantasy world it takes place, instead it is all about conquering the depths of the underworld, growing in power, territory and followers. I'd consider this part Party-oriented game and part nation builder.

Dawn of Man -- This was a game where players formed different tribes that worked together or in competition to explore a valley and make a new life despite the constant pressure from predators, hunger, and fear of the unknown. The first time I ran this game was a purely tribal stage, but if I rebooted it, it would be in a settlement phase -- where new dwellings and homesteads would have to survive and hunting and gathering would make way hopefully to farming and animal husbandry. Also greater cultural distinction and development. Or we could just start over. :D

Alien Conquest -- This is a game where players are all Warlord conquerors enslaved to the evil mother brain. A new world lies before the seed-ship that carries all the alien invaders and their forces, but raw materials and resources must be gathered to awaken more than a handful of troops and weapons -- at least to start. Players could cooperate and compete to conquer the most of planet(s) as covert to increasingly direct invasion forces. Will you conquer worlds for the mother brain? Will you cast off your chains of bondage and become a free race once again? How many worlds will you conquer?

X-com -- (Extraterrestrial combat/communication) -- This game is basically a reverse alien conquest. Players are top secret, mysteriously funded organizations tasked with one thing -- discover the increasing influence and interference of alien UFOs, make contact (for good or ill) and engage the aliens as neccessary, and most of all gain alien technology to better serve your kind and enable you to stand against extra-terrestrial threats. Players could be all factions of a single world-funded organization or individual national or private projects to unravel the mystery of the aliens, and presuming they are not goodwilled, overcome them...

Rise of the Pretenders -- (Aka "YOU ARE A GOD!") -- this game had each player being a new or ancient power (dragon, demigod, powerful mage, etc) inheriting a world where the gods have seemingly abandoned creation and left a power vacuum for who the next Pantokrator (King of Creation) and the Pantheon for a new age. Suddenly in the absence of gods to keep order almost every region has powerful mortals, godlings, powers dormant from previous ages and mighty monsters that now seek to gain the mantle of "pretender gods" -- growing their power through gaining of worshippers, and the gathering of territories and resources. Players may work together or against each other to become the new kings and queens of the gods, crushing all rivals beneath them!

Legacy of Atlantis -- this is an underwater nation builder with various sea-races climbing up from the ruins of the old Atlantean empire and trying to carve new realms, and a new order, from the chaos.
Great sea monsters, predatory rival races and competition for resources will be major factors in this nation builder where the sea is endless and land is but a myth or a dream...

Ntombed -- A catastrophic event nearly destroys a ship and all efforts to contain the disaster fail miserably. The ship is programmed above all other concerns to preserve the structural integrity of the ship and to keep the crew alive at all costs. The ruined husk of the ship quickly sedates the crew that are still alive and puts them in cryogenic stasis pods throughout the ship, and begins the slow, elaborate process of repairing the ship with the systems, tools, and power left over after all measures to keep the ship and crew stable are in place. With the situation as it is, the ship's computer estimates that even with a priority placed on improving access to higher power outputs, life support to permit crew activity outside of stasis, and even free energy for the repairs themselves -- is in massively short supply. Estimated repair time to restore critically low levels of functioning/environment: Eons. Please remain calm. Players would work together or with their own groups of followers to improve conditions and capabilities on a shattered generation ship. Can you keep your sanity, can you face the threats of a dark and ruthless universe? Can you regain agency and efficacy of the ship and forge ahead with a new goal beyond survival?

"The Emperor Protects" (40k imperial guard roleplay) -- based on the system "Only War" each player takes over a platoon of imperial guardsmen and faces incredible odds against the myriad threats and evils facing the imperium. This is a gritty setting where life is cheap and death is fast (hence a system where you have platoon members to lose before your OC might die) -- but it is basically as Warhammer 40k is understood -- "A grim future where there is only war" -- Those faithful to the emperor will receive his protection!

Kingdom Death -- A world of darkness, horror and fear -- humans wake up all over the endless gloom with nothing but a lantern and a sharp rock to preserve their lives. Parties and even small communities form -- but the threat of the darkness is constant and the predators within are ever present. Can you rise above the rabble and lead your people against the monsters -- find materials or harvest resources from the creatures you slay in the darkness? Can you develop a culture and tools and technology to push back the endless night?! Unlikely, but you must try...

Space Opera -- A sci-fi expedition RP where an assortment of various alien races and robots get together on a strange but potentially powerful exploration ship and seek out the mysteries of the galaxy!
The universe is collapsing in at least 3 different ways... will the brave and intrepid crew somehow bring stability back to reality and peace to the stars? Never tell me the odds!

Conquest of the Lost Archipelagos -- Every player is a captain of a ship (or ships) exploring a strange frontier in a fantasy world of a seemingly endless chain of islands. Pirates, monsters, and mystery lurk on every shore, and the seas hold their own secrets for those who dare seek them. Carve out a Realm for Piracy or Trade or Conquest, and compete or cooperate with other players operations to advance your (and maybe others?) fortunes! The endless isles await!

Flight From Muurdaan -- "The New Beginning" -- a reboot of my most successful RP on RPN ever -- this nation builder will pick up where the last game left off -- the colonies of the lost continent have begun to develop into a system of towns and communities, and the mysteries of the fall of the mage king empire must be further unravelled and the borders of understanding and exploration must be pushed even further. With the looming nightmare of "The Cull" defeated, it will be a new era of trade, immigration, and expansion in this beautiful and rich fantasy world of mystery and enchantment. The Muurdaan Empire of the old world wants to close it's fist on the independence of the colonies in it's infancy, and the lost continent still bristles with hostiles and the unknown. The colony project was a success -- but can the cast-offs of the old world rise and truly thrive in the bosom of the new? Time may tell!

Whether you are a veteran to my roleplays or a complete newcomer, please let me know if any of these ideas interest you and we can narrow things down and get one or more of these game concepts going... I look forward to your response and thank you for your consideration. Additional info about any of these settings available on request, but I figured it best to stick to short summaries for now.

Your Gamemaster and Servant to the most holy PC,

Beck

All the concepts seem pretty cool, even the ones that are new / I'm not as familiar with.

Rise of the Pretenders sounds like the most fun to me.

I like this idea too as well as Conquest of the Lost Archipelagos, Evils of the Red Cathexus and Dawn of Man (Need to raise me some Needle Grubs! And bring back an old friend)

Kingdom Death -- A world of darkness, horror and fear -- humans wake up all over the endless gloom with nothing but a lantern and a sharp rock to preserve their lives. Parties and even small communities form -- but the threat of the darkness is constant and the predators within are ever present. Can you rise above the rabble and lead your people against the monsters -- find materials or harvest resources from the creatures you slay in the darkness? Can you develop a culture and tools and technology to push back the endless night?! Unlikely, but you must try...
Welcome back Beck <3

Will likely just spy on this thread, but I'm still thankful for the Discord Kingdom Death experience from two years ago, it was a blast xD Hope you're doing well!

Woah, I've never done nation building before and I'm really interested!

Flight From Muurdaan -- The New Beginning

Evils of the Red Cathexus

Conquest of the Lost Archipelagos

These three caught my eye the most!

Personally, I've been on a Napoleonic Era history deep dive as of late, so the Conquest of the Lost Archipelagos sounds rather intriguing. However, Dawn of Man and Flight from the Muurdaan were great fun, so would like to see them back as well. At the end of the day though, whatever you do decide to go with will be a lot of fun, so I don't really mind which one(s) you end up picking up. I guess go with the ones you feel the most passionate about/excited for?

That is true, whatever is resonating with you most for running a story is likely the best option or options. I'd give anything a shot aside from what I offered up as my inerests.

I'm most excited to run X-com -- but it seems more interest is in Rise of the Pretenders potentially and I'm almost equally psyched to run that.

SO RISE OF THE PRETENDERS (aka "YOU ARE A GOD!") WINS!

Look for it in the group interest checks soon -- I'll be making a map tonight (or at least starting one) and maybe a discord to start making gods with some people.

All of these ideas sound interesting! Boy, wonder how you do all of these things.

All of these ideas sound interesting! Boy, wonder how you do all of these things.

Flight From Muurdaan was an RP that lasted for Years... some others lasted months, some others fizzled out much faster...

But if you actually wondered how, it's half devotion and half how awesome the community is. <3

Aww, that's cool. So for that, do you have a system of rules like DnD? Something going on for years sounds like the campaign I used to do with my friends back in college. I think 3.5 edition ish times.

Aww, that's cool. So for that, do you have a system of rules like DnD? Something going on for years sounds like the campaign I used to do with my friends back in college. I think 3.5 edition ish times.

I like to use the term "Rules Lite" -- *I* know how all the mechanics work, but the players need not know in order to play, and the game is much more free-form from the player perspective with the number crunching normally hidden with me on the back end. People state what they are trying to accomplish, and I process those orders and state the results. It sounds crazy and complicated (and in some ways it is) but I swear it works, and many people on the site have been able to enjoy my roleplays without comprehensive, or even really much, understanding of the actual rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back