• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Beast Boy and Raven (Closed)

Rachel took a deep breath and sat stiffly down in the seat next to Garfield. She shoved some popcorn in her mouth and looked around the theater. Luckily the theater wasn’t too crowded. She imagined all the seats being occupied and how squished and stuffy it could get. Why did they make the seats so close to each other? She placed her popcorn in her lap and shoved a handful in her mouth. It had been a while since she had popcorn. Sitting in a dark theater with popcorn on her lap actually wasn’t too annoying. Almost enjoyable.

Then the screen came to life with a happy animated bag of popcorn reminding viewers to visit the snack stand. The sound was shockingly loud coming from a relatively quiet theater, and it took Rachel a moment to adjust, not used to such things. It then flashed to previews of other movies coming soon to theaters.

“They can’t just start the movie, can they?” Rachel asked, leaning her head on her hand on top of the armrest.

Garfield adjusted himself in the seats as he grabbed his own popcorn and began shoveling it into his mouth. It was a lot easier to eat considering he had gotten extra butter, went down smoothly. The nachos had to be eaten quickly or the chest would’ve tasted wayyy worse, Garfield knew this from experience of course.

As the movie trailers began he groaned audibly, seeming to forget about previews as a whole. The sudden loud sounds caused his sensitive ears to twitch, but they quickly tuned themselves to be more comfortable. “These things are not cool….” Garfield stated with a now empty popcorn bucket and nacho tray.

He turned to Rachel after finishing his nachos and leaned towards her, whispering. “Y’know you can take your hood off right?” It was obvious it was more so a way of Garfield asking for her to do so but he felt embarrassed to ask, having taken his own hood down as well. He has always wanted to see Raven’s face more as they got older, but Raven always had her ominous reasons. Garfield thought maybe now he could take this opportunity to at least ask.

Through her peripherals, Rachel watched as Garfield’s popcorn and nachos were quickly consumed during the previews. She wondered if he even tasted it.

The lights dimmed as the previews were finally coming to a close. On instinct, She replied to Garfield’s comment, “Just because I can, doesn’t mean I should.” Her hood was not really so much of a means of hiding her identity like Garfield, but rather a means of hiding herself and her emotions. Even in front of her friends would she rarely take it off, she wasn’t use to that vulnerability. Why she had done so when she first saw Beast Boy again, she didn’t know. Maybe she just had a lapse of judgement, or a need to be seen, just for a moment.

The movie finally began, and Rachel allowed herself to relax a little bit more in her seat. She always was more comfortable in the dark. Just as she was letting herself drift away into the story, however, there was a flash of white light behind them, and the screen went dark.

“Uhm, is this part of the movie?” Rachel asked.

As if in reply, shots of electricity whizzed through the theater ceiling, flickering the lights. The electricity came together in front of the screen, forming into a humanoid shape. Rachel’s eyes widened when she recognized what it was. “No.”

Garfield exhaled dramatically, knowing this would be Raven’s answer but wanted to try anyways. “Yeah yeah I know…” He began munching on his twizzlers, eating them three at a time while the previews finally finished up.

When the lights began flicker he looked around “Uhh I never seen this in a movie…” Garfield dropped his food when Overload began taking form right in front of the two former titans and started slashing wildly in the air.

Beast Boy’s instincts kicked in as he suddenly became a green elephant, using his trunk to grab up those civilians in the immediate danger and helped them through the exit. “Uh Rae, you gonna hafta do yo thang!” He yelled out as he rumbled to get more innocent lives out the way.

“I don’t do ‘my thing’ anymore,” Rachel said quietly. She looked around desperately for some way to help.

One of the light fixtures towards the front right of the theater exploded, causing a huge scream from the little boy and his mother underneath it. Rachel ran over to assist them. “Go now! The emergency exit.” She ordered, pushing them to the exit just feet away from them. They were safe, but only because Overload’s attention was on those trying to escape the main exit with the giant green elephant.

They weren’t going to escape with Overload on top of them. Rachel found a cup of soda and threw it at Overload. The beverage drenched Overload’s leg, causing it to diminish for a moment. He screeched and turned to face her. She had his attention. Now what?

Beast Boy didn’t have time to argue with Rachel about what to do at the moment. One wrong move for him and he’d be turned into a charred, dark green mark on the theater floor.

He maneuvered pretty well for a 9 ton pachyderm, but needed to focus on getting the people out of the way. Once the normal people were out of the way Beast Boy noticed that Overload was going to swing on Raven and he knew he had to act quickly. He transformed into a cheetah and sped over, sort of diving at Rachel as they tumbled aside.

The human form of Garfield laid next to Rachel, in awe of the burnt streak that stood in the wake of the behemoth’s destruction. “Rachel! You gotta use your powers or someone’s gonna die! I don’t want to lose you again….” His eyes showing the mix of emotions . Fear, anger, compassion, all at the same time.

Upon impact of being thrust to the ground by a cheetah, Rachel's hood fell off. That coupled with the clear emotions on Garfield's face lying next to her caused her to break her control. "I won't use them again." She seethed, but as she said so, a theater chair lifted into the air and flung into the wall. Rachel quick sat up and grounded herself.

"We need to get him wet. That's his weakness."

Overload was in front of the exit now. Luckily everyone had gotten out unharmed, save for them of course. It seemed that he had lost sight of where Garfield and Rachel went, but as Rachel sat up, he noticed her right away. He pulled his arm back, ready for another swing. Rachel took a deep breath.

"Fine. You caught me on a bad day. Azarath Metrion Zinthos!" Raven held out her hands and a blast of dark magic shot out of her hands, knocking into Overload and pushing him into the wall.

Beast Boy angrily got up and heeded Rachel’s words even as she made him more angry with her constant rejection of what she was. When given the idea of wet, Beast Boy was once more the giant African elephant and ran around dumping all of the leftover sodas and drinks into his mouth.

Luckily with Raven keeping sparky busy, Beast Boy had plenty of time to occupy all of the liquids in the theater before looking at the monster. “Mmm mmm!” (Take this!) Beast Boy tried to say as he sprayed down the villain with his trunk.

Overload shrunk against the soda, smaller and smaller until he was nothing but a little red chip once more.

Raven pulled her hand back and threw her hoodie back over her head. She was Rachel again, that’s what she needed to hold on to. Wordlessly she walked over to the small red chip and picked it up. Part of her wanted to just throw him in the trash and walk away.

“Some probably called the police.” She said, making her way towards the exit.

Beast Boy the elephant sneezed as the carbonated drink had seriously messed up his trunk. He shrunk back into a human and ran after Rachel, making sure his hoodie was situated as well. “Rach are you okay? We did good just then ya know. We SAVED people again, don’t be so down dude.” This was Garfield’s attempt to cheer Rachel up as they went towards the front.

He looked at Rachel’s hand which covered the small chip that cause all the trouble. “What’re we gonna do with it? If the cops see us won’t they be like mad or something.” Garfield wasn’t sure on how the public would see them even after this act of heroism.

Rachel paid no attention to Garfield’s attempt on making this ok. She focused on the chip in front of her and getting out of the theater.

Most people had left the lobby and the building all together. It seemed Overload had made his mark on more than just the theater they were in. The snack stand was trashed, popcorn popped out onto the floor due to the machine being toppled over. The ticket booth was covered in tickets and dollar bills, the register busted.

“You’re right. They shouldn’t see us her,” Rachel said, and though about where she could leave Overload where the police could find him. Somewhere where he can’t absorb any electricity.

She raced to the snack bar and placed the chip behind the protective glass with all the candy, just as sirens started to blare outside. “We have to go.”

Garfield frowned and let his shoulders, feeling unsuccessful. He thought it was good that they showed they could still save people. Maybe even some people would understand they were good people, good HEROES. It seemed Rachel felt otherwise, that it was better to not use your powers at all than to use them for good.

Garfield grabbed a few candy bars from the ground and shoved them into his pocket before rushing behind Rachel. Once away from the theater, Garfield walked to stand in front of Rachel, stopping her by placing his hands on her arms at the elbow. “Rae….What’s wrong? Aren’t you happy we helped those people? Imagine if we wasn’t there? That’s woulda been really bad.” He said with a serious tone.

Rachel sighed and looked up at Garfield. “Of course I’m happy we were able to help those people. But they won’t be happy. People don’t want heroes anymore. They’d rather read it in a book or see it on a screen. When -it- happened, we not only weren’t able to make things right, but we were not allowed to try. They just wanted the Teen Titans to go away. So we did.”

She shut her eyes for a moment, giving herself time to gain control before continuing. “I’ve told you before. We cannot change the truth, no matter how much we dislike it. This time will be no different.”

Garfield watched Rachel’s eyes as she spoke and nearly broke down right there. How long had it been since the incident? He didn’t try to remember it at all but he sat down on some trash cans in the dark where they were walking, head down. “Why don’t they still like us Rae? We almost died a whole bunch and still they don’t care bout us…”

Garfield sat there with his head in his hands, trying to hold himself together. “I just wanna help people Raven… I just wanna be….accepted…” He didn’t enjoy life being an outcast all his life and finally felt at peace with that when with the Titans and now most of them wanted nothing to do with him.

Perhaps she said to much. Rachel watched Garfield sit down and lose the optimism he always had. She regretted taking that away, she didn’t like seeing him hurt. Slowly she sat herself on a track can next to him, looked around to make sure no one was watching, then lowered her hood again. Gently, she placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

“I was wrong about one thing,” she said slowly, watching him and taking the time to choose her words carefully. “We can’t be heroes anymore, but you were right, we don’t need to be alone. Like before, we can still accept each other.” She looked away, feeling her emotions forming into a blush again, she hated blushing. “I don’t want to lose you either.”

Garfield never wanted to hurt people, well if they weren’t villains. He never asked for too much from life, just friends and family, but never expected things to get this bad after being with the Titans. He felt Rachel’s hand on his shoulder and straightened up slightly.

Garfield felt bad unloading all his pent up anger and sadness from the last couple of years on Rachel. He honestly had no idea how she did it. Her words certainly made him feel much better to know at least she wanted him around still. Without hesitation Garfield turned towards Rachel and gave her a hug. “Thanks Rae…” Was all he could muster for now.

After a few moments he wiped his green eyes and stood up. “What do we do now?” Garfield was most concerted about the future. What if another villain attacked while they were around? He couldn’t just watch innocent people die without doing something, even if it meant the end of him.

Rachel wasn't good at hugs, but she knew better than to push Garfield away with him being in the state he was currently in thanks to her. She awkwardly patted his back twice, but then just let it be until he released her.

She thought about this question. It was so broad a question, but she decided to go with the immediate "Now" answer. She shrugged, pulled her hood back over her head and stood up. "Get some ice cream?" she suggested. Ice cream makes people feel better, right? "We worry about the rest of it another day. There's nothing we can do about it now."

Garfield wiped his face one good and final time before nodding his head. “You know I like ice cream a lot.” He smiled a little, feeling the suppressed emotions fade away immediately. It wasn’t often he had moments like this but it was necessary. No one could be one hundred percent positive, negative, nor devoid of emotion forever.

As they walked towards the nearest parlor, early in the walk Garfield said something he felt worth saying while it was on his mind. “You looked pretty cute with your hood down, Rach.” He realized he hadn’t really complimented Rachel today and felt stupid. Of course he meant it just like all the other times before but realized she could’ve taken that the wrong way. “I-I mean you look cute with it on too, I was just sayin!..” Garfield spat out quickly.

“- I get it,” Rachel cut him off. She grinned awkwardly at him. “Thanks. You look…tall,” She added, trying to reciprocate the compliment.

The ice cream parlor, Just Chillin’, was an ice cream stand only a block away from the movie theater. It had its own parking lot, but it had been transformed into a patio area for customers to sit at picnic tables and eat their ice cream. Being one of the more popular ice cream parlors in Jump City due to its many flavors and vegan options, it was currently packed with people.

“I’m not lying! I’m telling you a giant green elephant saved me from this electric monster!”

Rachel looked around, trying to find the source of the voice. It belonged from a teenage girl who was sitting at one of the picnic tables talking urgently on her phone while her friend sat beside her with her hand on her shoulder.

“Maybe don’t head over that way,” Rachel suggested, nodding her head over in the direction of the girls.

Garfield straightened his back a little and smiled proudly. “I am pretty tall.” He had the urge to become a giraffe but figured even if it was funny, there was no way Rachel would be okay with that as of right now.

The closer they got to the ice cream shop, the quicker Garfield walked. He could just imagine all sorts of flavors. Chocolate, Vanilla, peanut butter, cookie dough, chocolate chip, the list went on before Rachel stopped him.

“Don’t worry Rae, I can be very sneaky. I’m like a ninja but even bet-“ Garfield tripped over his own skateboard, catching himself on a fence as to not make any commotion. “Don’t even say nothing..” He insisted as they took an alternate route to the stand.

“I never remembered what your favorite ice cream was Rach. Tell meeeeee” Garfield smoothly bumped into Rachel hoping to get an answer out of the hooded lady. Luckily for them most of the bystanders were too busy looking at reports on their phones about the attacking monsters than actually the walking heroes.

Rachel was going to comment on how un-ninja-like Garfield was, but with him tripping over his skateboard at the most opportune time, no words were needed.

Garfield was in full positive mode now, bumping her as they walked to the stand. She was glad the ice cream idea was pulling him out of the rut she put him in. She thought about it and then said, “Black Cherry.” But she was focusing on the voices around her.

“Did you see what happened at the movie theater?”
“Yeah, an elephant.”
“Do you think the heroes are back?”
“I thought all the monsters were gone.”

Rachel closed her eyes as the voices flooded in. News travels fast in a city like Jump. She just couldn’t tell right now if people were happy about the hero coming back or not.

She opened her eyes again. “Already making top headlines,” she muttered.

Garfield put on a confused face as he thought about Black Cherry as a flavor. Has he had that before? “I think I might get that one this time.” And probably a few other flavors as well.

Garfield did what he did best and basically drowned out the voices of the other people besides Rachel of course. “Hey don’t worry about it Rae, it’s Garfield and Rachel now. We’re going to be okay..”

Without missing a beat he approached the vendor and began his order. “Can I get a scoop of chocolate chip, black cherry, peanut butter, and pistachio.” Garfield was excited to have something sweet since he dropped his snacks at the theater.

The voices faded away as Rachel released her focus and watched the employee add scoop after scoop on Garfield’s ice cream. Again, she wasn’t surprised, but it had been a long time since she saw someone eat as much as Garfield. She looked at the menu of flavors, so many flavors.

“I’ll have a scoop of black cherry and a scoop of pistachio,” she said. She had never had pistachio before, but she felt the need to try something new after a day like today. Garfield had gotten pistachio too, it might be good.

They were handed their cones and Rachel handed the employee some bills before they walked off. Rachel licked the scoop of pistachio first. “Mm it’s not that bad,” she commented.

She saw the groups of friends and couples eating ice cream at the picnics. It looked effortless and comfortable, and she realized more than ever that she missed and wanted that.

Rachel hesitated before saying, “I think I know how to fix your tiger problem.”

Garfield gave a look of shock towards Rachel when he heard a new flavor exit her mouth. “Look at you. Getting you some good good flavors “ He teased as they were given their cones.

Both of Garfield’s hands were occupied with two double scoop cones which he didn’t mind at all. He first tried the pistachio and black cherry cone, agreeing with Rachel. “Mmm yeah. This black cherry is the bees knees!” He was surprised he hadn’t at least tried this before, sticking to his more sweet based flavors all the time.

As he quickly devoured the first cone, he switched to the peanut butter and chocolate chip one. “Hmm? You did!? What is it?” Garfield’s emerald eyes were lit up with excitement. That or a sugar rush that came from his quick inhalation of the first cone.

Rachel raised an eyebrow at the pace of his eating. She had maybe had 3 or 4 bites when he was finishing his first come. She told herself it must be the animal DNA, for she couldn’t see a regular human boy intake so much so quickly.

“I’m no Picasso, but I do have thumbs,” she said. “I can paint you orange and black.”

Rachel hadn’t used paint in years, not did she think of herself as artistic in any way. The last thing she wanted, though, was for Garfield’s job to put him in danger. Especially after today, he can’t be showing any green to anyone.

“Just don’t expect me to teach you how to act like one. You’re on your own for that,” she added, going back to her usual sarcastic voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back